FM20: The English Football League thread

warlock

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Yeah a few clubs are after Loader. He wont sign a new contract but if a club wants to pay his release clause of £56m then I wont complain.

Luckily Michael Olise has a £86m release clause so I can't see him going anytime soon.

Well since you are playing youth only I guess the money won't matter. Can you not get him to renew?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, karanhsingh said:

Well since you are playing youth only I guess the money won't matter. Can you not get him to renew?

Yeah I got £175m in the bank and it keeps rising.

Well before Loader didn't want to sign a new contract cos other clubs being interested in him but I just tried again and he was willing to sign a new contract but his agent wants a £56m release clause which is the same as his current contract so I didn't see the upside in signing him to a new contract until his agent is willing to let me put a higher release clause.

Just now, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Yeah I got £175m in the bank and it keeps rising.

Well before Loader didn't want to sign a new contract cos other clubs being interested in him but I just tried again and he was willing to sign a new contract but his agent wants a £56m release clause which is the same as his current contract so I didn't see the upside in signing him to a new contract until his agent is willing to let me put a higher release clause.

Can you not remove the release clause and make it non-negotiable? Or put an expiry date on it 1 year out. They may then ask for more wages which would be worthwhile for you.

Can you not remove the release clause and make it non-negotiable? Or put an expiry date on it 1 year out. They may then ask for more wages which would be worthwhile for you.

The agent wont budge on the release clause. The lock was red so there was no wiggle room on that.

I was hoping to try get Loader to sack his agent but it aint giving me that option at the moment.

Just now, Ronaldo Beckham said:

The agent wont budge on the release clause. The lock was red so there was no wiggle room on that.

I was hoping to try get Loader to sack his agent but it aint giving me that option at the moment.

Ah. Well keep at it. Maybe that option will show up soon.

If you have a lot of interest then sometimes a trick that works is to set his asking price just below the release clause, and then keep stalling & rejecting the offers.

Ah. Well keep at it. Maybe that option will show up soon.

If you have a lot of interest then sometimes a trick that works is to set his asking price just below the release clause, and then keep stalling & rejecting the offers.

Yeah good idea. I don't want Loader or Olise to go as I aint got many players in my current squad that could replace them properly.

4 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

Why not try to move up a league or two in your current save with a new job

Have turned down a number of jobs in L1 and Championship in this save - moving clubs is something I've never done in FM, not sure why. In my Lens save I did my first ever interview when I was invited to Monaco but I found the process rather tedious and baffling. In any case, I'm happy to continue the Darlington save; I just fancied a change of pace/quality for a while :)

18 minutes ago, warlock said:

Have turned down a number of jobs in L1 and Championship in this save - moving clubs is something I've never done in FM, not sure why. In my Lens save I did my first ever interview when I was invited to Monaco but I found the process rather tedious and baffling. In any case, I'm happy to continue the Darlington save; I just fancied a change of pace/quality for a while :)

Sorry, I missed your update. That's a really good season for you there! I want to see you get Darlo back in the football league, but will be following if you take a new club before heading back to them.

Reading Season 4 Review

Well what a terrible season with Reading. How we survived I do not know.

Competitions

As I said above we stayed in the league by the skin of our teeth.

image.thumb.png.96c76dbb8bf79f2a5d118c6cf5d7754e.png

Luckily the teams below me couldn't get a win themselves. If one of them went on a little run I would of been screwed.

I couldn't progress in the cups either by getting eliminated in the 2nd round of the League cup to Ipswich and got beaten by Blackburn in the 3rd round of the FA cup.

Squad Review

My players were terrible, they lacked the goalscoring touch with Michael Olise being my topscorer with 10 measly goals.

Michael Olise

image.thumb.png.89d89a22ee08861dafcf031d131bcf17.png

Danny Loader only got 6 goals. Even though he played up front a lot this season I don't think he a striker and more of a Inside Forward.

image.thumb.png.a696dba2bfc8bc9bd91c3f6787bc6363.png

I definitely lack a goalscorer. Hopefully one of my regens will come good sooner or later.

I got high hopes for Connor Mallen

image.thumb.png.d617bec950acf59ef3cfcc352ef16363.png

Here is how my squad done this season.

image.thumb.png.0b5e03dd2367423e31b640dca86d1be1.png

Here are some depressing records broken

image.thumb.png.e3a87d6ccad40511758605b6fd38570b.png

image.thumb.png.634633a34e83b4d24ff4e2a8a15a092f.png

Finances

My finances are excellent. I can't stop making money with a balance of £229m.

image.thumb.png.f34cf1cb811d7f76620b16e21c5acbff.png

Summary

Overall it was a season of many lows but I am still in the Prem and I surely can't have another season as bad as this one. I hope lol.

Edited by Ronaldo Beckham

10 hours ago, nextqprmanager said:

Ronaldo Beckham, what went so wrong in your 2nd Prem Season?, when it went so well in your 1st?.

It`s weird, but confidence is a big thing just like IRL ; maybe the oppositions improved a lot?.

GL

I`m so inconsistent with Bolton.

3rd season in Prem mate, the first 2 seasons in the Prem I was mid table.

I think the main reason is not having a an out and out striker. Loader can play up front but he aint a striker.

I am tempted to re-train Michael Olise as a striker.

Just now, Jogo Bonito said:

A difficult season there @Ronaldo Beckham but it's good to be challenged and find solutions. 

Yeah early days but I am doing a lot better this season with Reading. I am currently 2nd in the league after 7 games played.

Danny Loader has scored 7 goals in 7 games so far.

image.thumb.png.c254f85c0f9d6229e41eabce9399d8be.png

Michael Olise also doing well with 3 goals and 5 assists

image.thumb.png.d845dd616593a8c7c524979f5a741721.png

Being a Charlton fan thought it time to start a save as them and forget the real life turmoil....

To my utter astonishment I got promoted through the play-offs in the first season, beating Fulham in the play-offs

image.thumb.png.18acf3caaa31e2194acc92e30309c5b3.png

2nd Season - Prem

Transfer Activity - Was given a healthy 32M by the board, managed to sign a couple of gems

image.thumb.png.3af80ec7019a8b3ba1881916ad867995.png

First game of the Season against Norwich

image.thumb.png.bcf1f47a29000c6e6be193a87d87d51c.png

Edited by AddicksFan

Reading Season 5 Review

As I said in my previous post I had an amazing season and got a record high position for Reading with finishing 3rd.

I was better then Man Utd, Man City, Spurs and Arsenal.

image.thumb.png.0d513b5f62e1a23d91d704c9a6706f35.png

I didn't do well in the cups but what else is new lol.

Results

image.thumb.png.51fd8f366854d91973f20b451f6e23cf.png

image.thumb.png.7e5900a7c2c51d0b7943d1be5396af56.png

image.thumb.png.3df199ac9be5844faec9dd4e54d69594.png

Squad Review

My best players this season was Danny Loader and Michael Olise who formed a dynamic duo similar to peak Kane and Ali.

Danny Loader

image.thumb.png.681217704942f52ba6425a45f8bc152d.png

Danny Loader was back on form getting 19 goals in 37 games. His best season for us.

Michael Olise

image.thumb.png.a6721f1ba369ea60d26cf2a3e5d1fa40.png

Michael Olise was my best player overall with 19 goals, 14 assists and best overall average rating of 7.47.

Here is the rest of my squad this season

image.thumb.png.6db9f10d7b34b46ee8840921b0478816.png

Finances

My finances are looking amazing with £290m and now I am in the Champions League my finances will get better.

image.thumb.png.548c479abe5463ac9f3767cbe0340c58.png

Well it looks like Michael Olise is off as Man City just offered me £80m for Olise and that is his Minimun release clause and Olise wont sign a new contract.

He will be sorely missed.

image.thumb.png.616305b27cd2ee5b95c38869fa76a90d.png

On the bright side the board have agreed to build a new stadium that will hold 48,000.

image.thumb.png.143636ac37ac41d7716ddc383442cacb.png

Darlington, season 3, winter

KKpkxXfh.png?1

After our mid-table finish in season 2, our first in the Vanorama National League, we were looking to consolidate and - hopefully - kick on. Most of our important players in season 2 were loan signings, but two of them were released by their clubs and signed on permanent deals. The other two had their loans renewed for another season. A couple of free signings completed the summer transfer business and we looked well set to continue with the 433dm that had been successful.

Unfortunately, early results gave me cause to reconsider our tactical approach as we earned just one win and a bunch of draws from the first month of the season. The obstacle to a return to the 442 was a lack of strikers, with just two first-team regulars for the role, and one u23 prospect who wasn't quite ready for prime time. Happily, my scouts found De'marlio Brown-Sterling available for loan from Wigan and he agreed to join for the remainder of the season. The second issue was a string of poor-to-average performances from our GK so I turned to the loan market again, bringing in young Swedish 'keeper Hannes Sveijer from Barnsley. These changes made for an immediate improvement in results and by the time everyone was familiar with the tactic we were off an running.

Our poor form in August left us with a lot of catching up to do as unlikely frontrunners Dagenham & Redbridge opened up a huge gap at the top of the table. By Christmas we were just 3pts behind (albeit they had a game in hand) and the Daggers came to Blackwell Meadows for our second game of the festive period. Unfortunately, the fixture computer was unkind to us - we had to play our second game in 3 days, forcing us to play a lot of second-string players, while the visitors had enjoyed a restful week off. The difference showed on the pitch and they quickly took a two goal lead. Despite pulling one back, and them going down to 10 men midway through the second half, we couldn't find an equalizer.

IS8qg8Ah.png?1

Still, we go into the new year in a very pleasing second place. The real issue is the lack of depth in the squad, and it has been difficult to attract anyone of quality either on loan or free transfers. But I have room in the wage budget if anyone does become available.

The 442 continues to deliver goals, with our three strikers - George Waring, Brown-Sterling and Jahmal Hector-Ingram - on 13, 12 and 10, respectively, from around 20 appearances each. At the other end, Sveijer has 10 clean sheets from 20 appearances. 

Reading's Champions League Run

Well my first season of Champions League football went as I expected. I beat Shakhtar twice, I drew and lost against Barcelona and drew and lost against Roma.

I ended up 3rd in my group but not enough to qualify to the next round but I am in the Europa Leauge now.

I have no interest in the Europa league so will just play a rotated squad in them games.

image.thumb.png.d5ab3ebf6dcfd0d3163c4b05cdc82edf.png

I will be finishing the season with Reading and then starting a different save with AZ in the Dutch League.

I will do a season review tomorrow.

@warlock Really good form there, looking reliable defensively with not many goals against. Can you borrow any youngsters from Middlesbrough?

@Ronaldo Beckham Great success there. Olise did well, but it's a shame about the £80 million Man City situation. Decent effort in Europe, two good wins over Shakhtar.

An interesting fact for you, the actual manager of Shakhtar (probably not in game by the year you are) was approached to be Reading manager a while back and was thought to be arriving, but in the end he didn't and they ended up with a more random Portuguese manager called  Jose Gomes who had done hardly anything at all to suggest he was a good choice. In fairness to him, he kept a poor side up and was a really likeable guy, but his time soon came to an end too.

29 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Can you borrow any youngsters from Middlesbrough?

I've signed one young RB that they released, but there are slim pickings for loans. Essentially, anyone who would improve us gets refused on the "want him to play with better quality players" grounds, while the ones they'll let us have aren't really better than what I've got. I've picked up a few loans from the northern clubs, and currently have a couple of good wingers from Sunderland and Leeds, and I've also got a deal agreed with young Newcastle CB Kellend Watts who would become our best defender, but there are couple of L2 clubs interested and I think he'll probably turn us down eventually.

The big problem is that the board rejected my request to go pro when we were promoted, so facilities are poor and we can only train an average of 3 days in 14. If I was managing in the EFL I wouldn't lend us anyone either :lol:

53 minutes ago, warlock said:

I've signed one young RB that they released, but there are slim pickings for loans. Essentially, anyone who would improve us gets refused on the "want him to play with better quality players" grounds, while the ones they'll let us have aren't really better than what I've got. I've picked up a few loans from the northern clubs, and currently have a couple of good wingers from Sunderland and Leeds, and I've also got a deal agreed with young Newcastle CB Kellend Watts who would become our best defender, but there are couple of L2 clubs interested and I think he'll probably turn us down eventually.

The big problem is that the board rejected my request to go pro when we were promoted, so facilities are poor and we can only train an average of 3 days in 14. If I was managing in the EFL I wouldn't lend us anyone either :lol:

Ah, that's not easy then! In any case, you're doing a great job and every chance of being EFL members next season.

3 hours ago, warlock said:

Still, we go into the new year in a very pleasing second place.

Great job @warlock, season is going very well 👏🏼 Good luck for the end of season run-in.

2 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I beat Shakhtar twice, I drew and lost against Barcelona and drew and lost against Roma.

Very respectable performance that @Ronaldo Beckham, in a tough group. 

4 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@warlock Really good form there, looking reliable defensively with not many goals against. Can you borrow any youngsters from Middlesbrough?

@Ronaldo Beckham Great success there. Olise did well, but it's a shame about the £80 million Man City situation. Decent effort in Europe, two good wins over Shakhtar.

An interesting fact for you, the actual manager of Shakhtar (probably not in game by the year you are) was approached to be Reading manager a while back and was thought to be arriving, but in the end he didn't and they ended up with a more random Portuguese manager called  Jose Gomes who had done hardly anything at all to suggest he was a good choice. In fairness to him, he kept a poor side up and was a really likeable guy, but his time soon came to an end too.

1 hour ago, Dong21 said:

Great job @warlock, season is going very well 👏🏼 Good luck for the end of season run-in.

Very respectable performance that @Ronaldo Beckham, in a tough group. 

Thank you for the kind words guys.

Michael Olise is actually doing really well for Man City @Jogo Bonito

image.thumb.png.5b86a573d9e120bcdcfa2d72e7855689.png

Reading Season 6 Review

So in my final season with Reading I finished 5th which is very good considering I lost my best player in Michael Olise.

image.thumb.png.46c2498a8bb66232b325b6167c677b09.png

Danny Loader was my best player and top goalscorer with 15 goals.

image.thumb.png.1a2d5e786fd774279b84d75bf5a4f109.png

Thierry Nevers was close to beating Loader for the top scorer award with 14 goals.

image.thumb.png.9b088da28187d70699118b428840f53f.png

John Swift continued to provide the assists with 16 assists for the season. 

image.thumb.png.42a0ac7781b6bda190eee20d039d2fab.png

I left Reading with £434m in the bank. I think that is the most money I have ever seen on any saves I have had. 

image.thumb.png.9fe071d93ac9a6261b7f505962a9e043.png

I ended up richer then Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea

image.thumb.png.8aa64cdc130cee265e0ef04b6f790ab5.png

Finally here is a screenshot of my manager history

image.thumb.png.f96124ff18447c15c620189fb38889c8.png

Thank you everyone for their support and feedback on here. It spurred me on to keep going as long as I did.

My next save will be a save with AZ in Holland. I will be back with an EFL team at some point.

11 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

@Jogo Bonito are you going to have a crack at a save with Wycombe in the Championship then ?

Great wrap up at Reading, good luck with AZ. I'd intended to manage AZ this version but never got to it. As for future clubs, who knows. I seem to recall Wycombe do have a new owner but historically have always been a low-budget club. Great to see them promoted. 

Just now, Jogo Bonito said:

Great wrap up at Reading, good luck with AZ. I'd intended to manage AZ this version but never got to it. As for future clubs, who knows. I seem to recall Wycombe do have a new owner but historically have always been a low-budget club. Great to see them promoted. 

Yeah I just assumed Wycombe would be a good team for you to manage cos the challenge ahead of them. I might do a youth only save with Wycombe after I get bored of my AZ save.

1 minute ago, warlock said:

Looking forward to that one :thup:

Cheers Warlock I might do a new thread for AZ so keep your eyes out.

1 minute ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I'd intended to manage AZ this version but never got to it

So many saves... :). I'd actually meant to do a Wycombe save in FM20 (and might yet since FM21 is some way off yet). Looking ahead, I'll definitely be taking on Wycombe in the Championship, and Harrogate in the EFL. A relegated Norwich should also be a good challenge. And there's so many Championship clubs who should be doing better... Brentford, Forest, Preston. Bournemouth and Watford should be interesting, too.