FM20: The English Football League thread

warlock

2 hours ago, goonergez said:

@Ronaldo Beckham great first season there. Gillingham are fairly local to me so they’ve always been tempting but I’ve never given them a go. Great effort from you. What are the finances like?

Thanks @goonergez Not good, I was minus £1m by the end of the season but the extra money from the Championship should help that. Also Gillingham has a 10% profit clause on Bradley Dack so if he goes for decent money that will help.

41 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@Dong21 Always a good read,  and excellent work there with Bolton. I think there are too many 'potential board takeovers' in the game, but hopefully it won't change anything for you even if it does happen. 

@Ronaldo Beckham Congrats on your latest promotion with Gillingham. I'm sure you can establish them at the higher level. In fact, knowing the speed you go at, you probably already have...

@goonergez Another great update and I really look forward to seeing how you get on in League 2 with Dulwich. Hopefully the new signings can contribute to a satisfactory campaign. I can't even contemplate matching your game-play speed either but...

...I've completed the first season at Reading, and will put a report up here when time permits.

Lol @Jogo Bonito I aint even got through pre season in Season 2 yet. Unfortunately I am one of the few people in the UK that works in an office that still has to go into the office. I was hoping for a few paid weeks off but aint happening.

I usually complete a season over 2 nights or if it is a weekend I usually can do it in a day.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@Dong21

Another great update and I really look forward to seeing how you get on in League 2 with Dulwich. Hopefully the new signings can contribute to a satisfactory campaign. I can't even contemplate matching your game-play speed either but...

I honestly don’t know how I get through so quick. I have it on real time for key highlights. I just get a lot of time to play coz I work early hours and get home early. My missus bought me a new laptop back in October too so that probably helps as it is only used for that game haha

Hungerford Town - Conference South - 2019/20

Hungerford_Town_F.C._logo.png

The season:

928473485_finaltable.PNG.46d6f773334ee44ca9e4490877d5627f.PNG

With a mandate to only attempt to avoid relegation and a squad to match, we somehow wildly exceeded expectations throughout. We rarely went on any great winning or losing streaks but steadily picked up points, and once we got ourselves into the playoff positions we were never out of them. We were also never quite in the title race but we always stayed close enough that a hot streak could lift us.

A monster 7-2 win over Dulwich on the final day secured 5th spot and a home elimination playoff against Weymouth, albeit without our star winger Zldan Akers due to injury. It proved to be problematic as we missed his creativity down the right and couldn't break the deadlock, before Weymouth countered and scored the winner in the 114th minute. My abhorrent relationship with the playoffs on FM20 thus continues.

Overall though we wildly overachieved, as evidenced by the players then getting offended when I told them we'd be aiming to avoid a relegation scrap next season. I spent most of the campaign a mile over wage budget so will be interested to see how much strengthening I can do.

One other positive was our youth intake - we got at least four players who could potentially become first teamers, and all with "professional", "fairly professional" and "resolute" personalities. Unfortunately the best one, Gary Coleman, is the same size as his namesake with the physicals of my Nan (see screenshot below) and the second best doesn't fit into my tactic.

The players:

There were three main standouts. Yan Klukowski ran the show from central midfield, contributing 10 assists and having the highest average rating in the league. Akers scored 15 and made 15 from the right wing, while Boubacarr Jarra was clearly the division's best centre half. All three are signed up for next season too.

While we didn't have a dominant goal scorer, Liam Ferdinand and Siph Mdlalose also scored 17 and 15 respectively, giving us a really varied attack. 

Next season:

It will all depend on my wage budget and how well I can recruit. We got lucky with injuries but have managed to bring back all the key faces, and I'd like to introduce a couple of the academy kids too. Playoffs should be achievable again but some extra quality is probably needed to push on, plus depth for the 46-game season.

garycoleman.thumb.PNG.26dbf841ca96ffbe2bc7492c6d4948ea.PNG

2 hours ago, CityAndColour said:

Hungerford Town - Conference South - 2019/20

With a mandate to only attempt to avoid relegation and a squad to match, we somehow wildly exceeded expectations throughout. We rarely went on any great winning or losing streaks but steadily picked up points, and once we got ourselves into the playoff positions we were never out of them. We were also never quite in the title race but we always stayed close enough that a hot streak could lift us.

A monster 7-2 win over Dulwich on the final day secured 5th spot and a home elimination playoff against Weymouth, albeit without our star winger Zldan Akers due to injury. It proved to be problematic as we missed his creativity down the right and couldn't break the deadlock, before Weymouth countered and scored the winner in the 114th minute. My abhorrent relationship with the playoffs on FM20 thus continues.

A great effort and nice read. Additional kudos for the Gary Coleman reference, not often something that can be squeezed in to any FM update!

I admire your longevity in the regional leagues, different strokes for different folks, and all that.

Good luck next season.

May 2020 - Reading, England

1591879230_RFCheader.thumb.jpg.3b90d5cd8f291ba52ec800ca39cb607a.jpg

When we last checked in at the Madeski Stadium, manager Roy Race had steered his side to 4th in the league at the end of January

February saw his men claim five successive wins after their blushes were spared by an 87th minute leveller from sub Mo Barrow when hosting Hull in the month's opener

A superb hat-trick from Lucas Joao saw West Brom (22nd at the time and eventually relegated) crushed 3-0 before Race's boys won 4-0 at Sheffield Wednesday 

They then won 2-1 at title-chasing Leeds before a Yakou Meite treble sent Wigan packing, and the month ended with a narrow home win over Barnsley

March started with an FA Cup 5th Round tie at Tottenam but two goals a minute either side of the break, and a late third had sealed the game before a late consolation for Reading

A loss, win and draw followed in the next three league fixtures before table-toppers Brentford rolled in to town and headed back to London with a 3-0 win in the bag

However, four straight victories in April (all without conceding) meant that just a point at Blackburn would clinch promotion for Race in the final game of the month

That looked to be a formality as his side stormed to a 2-0 lead at the break, but Rovers hit back and Race was clearly relieved to come away with a 2-2 draw

Promotion was done then, but there was still a possibility of taking the title from Brentford if they slipped up against Barnsley in their season finale

They did indeed do that by drawing, but Race couldn't get one last performance out of his side and they were edged out 2-1 by Swansea as you can see on the right

It was a disappointing end to such an exciting season, but Race and the fans were delighted to finish in 2nd spot with Brentford worthy Champions

Middlesbrough beat QPR in the PO final, whilst the relegated sides were West Brom, Derby (both big surprises) and Luton, who finished with the wooden spoon

1962027245_Reading_Fixtures1.4.thumb.png.6c9cfc081682425715fc76dd1ce2807c.png

380152162_RFCtable1.0.thumb.png.4116221adc3c6526eb0330f2d98e720f.png

73260600_RFCseasonreview1.0.thumb.png.ee08baa6da49c9a22c1cc901b231d025.png

Below are the data stats for the first team squad that helped Race to this unlikely promotion

Midfield maestro John Swift won the fans player of the season award with 78% of the votes (Joao was second and Ovie Ejaria was third)

Swift was also named Championship player of the year too, whilst him and Joao were in the team of the season (Brentford had seven of the selected side)

Ivorian forward Meite notched 17 goals deployed as a wide target man, and duly got the Championship goal of the season vote for his goal against Wigan in February

Race gave lots of opportunities to youngsters who had graduated through the successful Academy, but the most exciting talent to emerge was Michael Olise

The eighteen year old was trusted emphatically by Race, and rewarded him with some scintillating performances in an attacking midfield role that belied his age and experience

New deals were handed out to most of the youngsters, but Chris Gunter rejected all approaches to stay and will be ending his long association with the club

Garath McCleary and Charlie Adam will also be on their way at the end of the season (the latter agreed a pre-contract deal with St Mirren in January) 

Some players had clearly featured less than others, but Race could be delighted with the contributions of his squad in sealing an unexpected return to the top flight

A transfer budget of around £34 million has been afforded to the boss, should he decide to pit his wits against the big boys of the Premier League

However, sources close to the club have suggested that the manager may choose not to embark on that adventure, with other offers perhaps tempting him elsewhere

1446555418_ReadingPlayers3.thumb.png.589a7ea6ba4bbfa1924059c7b8e80bec.png

1468682702_ReadingPlayers4.thumb.png.2395e42d2ca14d5512f3bb717b986d7b.png

Edited by Jogo Bonito

On 23/03/2020 at 11:20, nextqprmanager said:

Bolton 2nd Season.

I had a bad run last night, same Tactic, my best players` = 1 win in 5, you all know [ I think it`s called FM`ed? ].

Just dropped out of the Play-offs. I brought in Foso-Mensah on loan - injured in 1st Training Session, out for 6 weeks!.

I need to re-group / get back on track, since I need to make the Play-offs, with being in debt & exceeding the wage budget!.

I tried to Loan / sell players, put out 5 on loan including Brown ( who is frustrating for me, I know he works for some ), but not much of a dent in the wage budget.

If I don`t get Promotion, probably get the sack?. We`ve got Liverpool in 3 weeks in the FA Cup, so maybe get some money?.

Oh yes & thought, cash i those 2 small Transfer Clauses, I didn`t realise you had to do it within the Transfer window!.

oh hum ................

Sorry, I missed this post Stan.

You got promoted first season didn't you? I thought you could cash transfer clauses in at any time. Bad luck with Fosu-Mensah, I hope you can get back on track and that finances will improve.

That is a terrific season @Jogo Bonito as that Reading side certainly doesn't appear to be up to that much on paper! Obviously must be disappointing to not have won the league when it ended up in your hands, but promotion is a huge achievement. Knowing you, as I feel I do after all these years(!), I know that promotion to the Premier League means moving on to pastures new - looking forward to hearing where you end up next.

13 minutes ago, Dong21 said:

That is a terrific season @Jogo Bonito as that Reading side certainly doesn't appear to be up to that much on paper! Obviously must be disappointing to not have won the league when it ended up in your hands, but promotion is a huge achievement. Knowing you, as I feel I do after all these years(!), I know that promotion to the Premier League means moving on to pastures new - looking forward to hearing where you end up next.

Thanks, yes they played some really good football and it's a shame to move on but your knowledge of my odd behaviour is probably spot on!

The question I am asking myself is how far down the pyramid will I go...

Brilliant season there with Reading @Jogo Bonito, they must have been near favourites to go down, never mind promotion, great work :)

portvale1.png.58d3f4103f01cb4c2bcbfb88593b818d.pngportvale2.png.ae883949f571e697f40120347065253d.png

January 2021 - Port Vale

League Two

d04e4aee947eb10998cb97e0a2dd58e9.png

e89b7c63b047060b7fcff46f4c1c88b0.png

What an amazing first half of the season we have had. We were unbeaten all the way until November when we were outdone by Swindon who scored two from long shots, a league double over Crwho always makes us smile. We are scraping a lot of games by the one goal but that is all you need to get the three points in the bag. We were starting to falter a bit in October but after the loss, we started to turn on the style, going unbeaten in another seven games, winning five of them. As I thought, Dan N'Lundulu has been a revelation on loan from Southampton, bagging over 20 goals in all competitions already this season.

dd4ffedd29296f1291367d05748f41a3.png

The amazing form from the boys puts us top of the league by a handsome five points, looking really good as the new year rolls around. N'Lundulu also heads the goalscoring charts with 15 already, he has been great for us and may see an extension to his loan coming sooner rather than later. 

d24c59520f816a1b716b935d72e5d090.png

We're still doing pretty well in the cups. After bring knocked out by Grimsby in the Caribao Cup on penalties, we won 2 from 3 of our EFL trophy games to set up another game against Crewe in the 3rd Round. Victories over non-league Bromley and then League One Leyton Orient sets us up a tasty tie with Wigan in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

c4a77732622b9a3501168042ecd9f40b.png

A signing to help us over the line for the second half of the season. Cullen has been good as N'Lundulu's partner but Winnall can provide extra depth and challenge for that starting place.

It's all going well so far at Vale Park this season, let's hope we can keep it going!

Edited by oakesypvfc

3 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

how far down the pyramid will I go...

VNN? About time for that York save, surely? :)

Congratulations and commiserations, where approprate. Always good to see so many updates when I check in :thup:.

As for me, I'm really struggling with the game. Can't seem to summon any enthusiasm, and can't concentrate on anything. Not helped by the fact that our daughter - home from Uni - came down with something nasty on Sunday; retired to bed for 36 hours with a raging headache and the shivers. Thankfully, no coronavirus symptoms at all, and she's been right as rain since this morning, but very worrying for the duration. Also not helped by the fact that the otherwise-lovely MrsW is stalking the house like a caged bear. I don't mind the lockdown because I've been pretty much home alone for more than 10 years, but the 300% increase in household occupancy is taking some getting used to.

Then last night, when I'd played two-and-a-half games of the Boston save, FM crashed. Again. I've had more crashes in FM20 than in the rest of my FM history combined :seagull:  I'm sure I'll get back to it at some point, but not just yet.

Stay safe, everyone!

1 hour ago, oakesypvfc said:

Brilliant season there with Reading @Jogo Bonito, they must have been near favourites to go down, never mind promotion, great work :)

A signing to help us over the line for the second half of the season. Cullen has been good as N'Lundulu's partner but Winnall can provide extra depth and challenge for that starting place. It's all going well so far at Vale Park this season, let's hope we can keep it going!

Thanks, predicted finish was 17th. I felt they could do much better - but not that kind of better!

Port Vale are looking in very good shape, and I agree the signing of Winnall should be a big help at League 2 level.

@warlock Sorry to hear all that, good news that the family is well though. It's tough times worldwide, and frustration is going to affect most of us if it hasn't already. My Mrs is overseas and we have no chance of meeting up anytime soon, but at least she is in a safer place (for now).

Sorry about your Boston crash, that doesn't sound good. As for my next adventure, it might be York, it might be Dulwich, it might be Plymouth, it might be somewhere else. It might be a change of clubs within the same save. It might even be a trip to another country. Time will tell. 

Echoing your thoughts that we all stay safe and well.

13 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Sorry, I missed this post Stan.

You got promoted first season didn't you? I thought you could cash transfer clauses in at any time. Bad luck with Fosu-Mensah, I hope you can get back on track and that finances will improve.

Thanks Jogo for checking in on me!. Apologies my update didn`t really start & is not pretty / colourful. I did do a QPR more extensive thread a few years back, I think FM17?.

With Bolton I was 6th last night, lost two matches [ its normally vs lower Teams ], lost 1-3 to Liverpool in the FA Cup, after being 1-0 up ; to a sell-out crowd which should help finances. Lost the next, then drew after being 2-0 up. Then won the last two, before beating Arsenal 2-0 in a Home Friendly during the International break ( again for finances, & confidence ).

We was 8th, now 7th, 4 points adrift of Play-offs. I think we have around 5 matches left to sneak in - any tips?. I really want to go up, if only to clear the debt & sort wages.

I don`t know if some of you find that having U18 & U23 Teams are a pain, just to keep 11-15 players` for each Team. I think it was my dad Kevin Keegan who dropped the Newcastle reserves?.

I like Warlock, am normally at Home [ working honest ], so to have a fuller house is different. It must be difficult Jogo not being with your Wife.

I hope all are safe & well.

17 hours ago, oakesypvfc said:

Sorry to hear about all that @warlock, hope you're feeling better soon.

Thanks @Jogo Bonito! How come you're moving on from Reading?

As @Dong21 said, I just don't like managing in the PL (exception would be if taking on a PL team). I wish I hadn't got promoted, but I'm clearly just too good (joking, it's definitely the game is too easy).

@nextqprmanager It sounds like you're going to have a nervous finish there, but good luck. I never knew Kevin Keegan was your dad, thanks for mixing with us common people and thanks for the best wishes, I was lucky enough to get a parcel sent to her via DHL the last day before lock down so assuming it arrives she will be happy enough.

This working at home thing isn't easy, but was and remains absolutely necessary. Also even being at home, I only tonight just logged on here and haven't yet had FM open today :herman:

4 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

As @Dong21 said, I just don't like managing in the PL (exception would be if taking on a PL team). I wish I hadn't got promoted, but I'm clearly just too good (joking, it's definitely the game is too easy).

@nextqprmanager It sounds like you're going to have a nervous finish there, but good luck. I never knew Kevin Keegan was your dad, thanks for mixing with us common people and thanks for the best wishes, I was lucky enough to get a parcel sent to her via DHL the last day before lock down so assuming it arrives she will be happy enough.

This working at home thing isn't easy, but was and remains absolutely necessary. Also even being at home, I only tonight just logged on here and haven't yet had FM open today :herman:

I just had a re-think, picked my best current ability Team within the 5 max loan restriction = won 4 matches.

Lost [ gain] 0-1 to a relegation Team - can anyone tell me why this happens?, vs Charlton a route 1 chase against Nathan Wood who is my fastest CB ??.

Anyhow, now 7th, 2 games to play Away vs Bristol City & Home vs Palace. ATM 1 point in it.

Any tips please?

ps. Jogo I hope She gets her parcel.

Gillingham Season 2 Review

image.png.00be750eba83e862f0f9638228ffa5e4.png

A great first season in the Championship with Gillingham I ended up being 9th in the league. I was mostly in the play offs up until the last games and then I faltered a bit but still very happy with my league position. The players I had weren't the best in th league, far from it but they tried their best and worked hard.

image.thumb.png.16de9e3af0cb3c73f0d8ba85cde9559f.png

image.thumb.png.a680351c0159f2017727105bca3cb06c.png

No real goalscorer which I will need to improve on for next season.

My main goalscorer who only got 12 goals was Brandon Hanlan. Followed by Mikael Mandron who got 8. I really do need to get some better quality players in.

image.thumb.png.1b4e326c1977fa8f7000a3c7632f09a0.png

image.thumb.png.09b1e2ec7d4e78bf7797c2476a461761.png

George McEachran who is on loan from Chelsea was my best overal player with an average rating of 7.37, he also got 3 goals and 4 assists.

image.thumb.png.e083553d04a0488eb0401e4f75d82846.png

Thomas O'Connor was king of assists again with 11. I can buy him for £850k but unfortunately I can't afford him as Gillingham's finances aren't very good.

image.thumb.png.50fdd41eca4f4eaed63ec20dd77e65e6.png

I have managed to sign a few players on free transfers to come in the summer.

Mads Tvilstegaard - 18 year old Danish Right Back

image.thumb.png.588b903b5f17d64846d30e88ceb2ae34.png

Jordan Konango Mbon - A French 19 year Old Right Back

image.thumb.png.e51ad015788b6be5af7c001c089a169a.png

Jeremey Melot - Anothe Right Back lol - 27 years old Frenchman who can also play as DM and MR.

image.thumb.png.2c6b9894937da97d94b7c1bceab2f498.png

I have also signed a few other freebies from the English Prem Youth Teams so we will see how they do.

Hopefully I can push on and do better next season despite the lack of funds.

@Ronaldo Beckham It's always good to sign three new right backs in one transfer window :lol:

9th was a very fine finish, good luck next season.

30 minutes ago, nextqprmanager said:

I just had a re-think, picked my best current ability Team within the 5 max loan restriction = won 4 matches.

Lost [ gain] 0-1 to a relegation Team - can anyone tell me why this happens?, vs Charlton a route 1 chase against Nathan Wood who is my fastest CB ??.

Anyhow, now 7th, 2 games to play Away vs Bristol City & Home vs Palace. ATM 1 point in it.

Any tips please?

ps. Jogo I hope She gets her parcel.

Good luck, two tough games to finish. Thanks, I hope it arrives too.

58 minutes ago, nextqprmanager said:

Lost [ gain] 0-1 to a relegation Team - can anyone tell me why this happens?

A few things spring to mind... Games against teams battling relegation are often the toughest. Even if they're already relegated, they're under no pressure while your players have the weight of expectation. Complacency among your squad is often a problem in those situations, especially if you're coming off the back of 4 consecutive wins against decent opposition.

Good luck for the run-in!

8 hours ago, warlock said:

A few things spring to mind... Games against teams battling relegation are often the toughest. Even if they're already relegated, they're under no pressure while your players have the weight of expectation. Complacency among your squad is often a problem in those situations, especially if you're coming off the back of 4 consecutive wins against decent opposition.

Good luck for the run-in!

Thanks for your reply Warlock. I did change up the Team during those 4 wins. I wonder for the last 2 Matches, I should go for `likes big matches players`? / drop the ones who don`t like big matches.

I need to analyse those 0-1 Matches as to why?.

9 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@Ronaldo Beckham It's always good to sign three new right backs in one transfer window :lol:

9th was a very fine finish, good luck next season.

Good luck, two tough games to finish. Thanks, I hope it arrives too.

Yeah I never realized until I posted it in here lol, I will just send to the 2 young right backs out on loan for now.

With the end of his tenure at Reading, it’s time for Roy Race to take on his next challenge. And what better way than to throw in a little quiz just for fun to see who can guess his new club?

1.    We are in the EFL and have previously won the old Division 1 and the FA Cup
2.    Our best-remembered team was arguably in the late 1970’s (but won nothing of importance)
3.    2019/20 saw us celebrate a significant anniversary of something special in our history
4.    We are neither in League 2 nor the Championship, but did not start 2019/20 in League 1
5.    We have fairly iconic kits (home & away) and we are the ideal club for Roy Race to take on after Reading

Any guesses should come with an explanation on points 3-5

12 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

With the end of his tenure at Reading, it’s time for Roy Race to take on his next challenge. And what better way than to throw in a little quiz just for fun to see who can guess his new club?

1.    We are in the EFL and have previously won the old Division 1 and the FA Cup
2.    Our best-remembered team was arguably in the late 1970’s (but won nothing of importance)
3.    2019/20 saw us celebrate a significant anniversary of something special in our history
4.    We are neither in League 2 nor the Championship, but did not start 2019/20 in League 1
5.    We have fairly iconic kits (home & away) and we are the ideal club for Roy Race to take on after Reading

Any guesses should come with an explanation on points 3-5

Maybe because I`m half asleep but 1 & 4 seem at odds. EFL is The Championship?.

Phew!, we are in The Play-Offs. After losing that 0-1 vs Charlton, I took the brave decision of going back to my 3atb Formation & it has paid off so far.

I dropped Brewster & others who Form / Development Progress have dropped. I also played Bolton players` instead of a few Loanees like Foso-Mensah. My Captain Brockbank CB scored a great volley from the edge of the penalty area for our first vs City.

We beat Bristol City Away 3-0 & Palace 2-1 Home, who we play in the Play-Offs.

squeaky bum time !.

50 minutes ago, warlock said:

EFL consists of the Championship, League One, and League Two :kriss:

Indeed. I'm counting on somebody of your era and calibre to make the connections though Warlock. As far as I know it's a team that hasn't been managed in the thread this year (and rarely if ever have been). There might be a clue in my last Reading update too.

I thought it would be good for some mental stimulation during lock down, but certainly don't want to add to anyone's frustrations. I can give some more clues around specific players of what I would class their best ever team though if anyone is interested. It probably won't help the younger ones amongst us though, bearing in mind this was the late 1970's.

1 hour ago, nextqprmanager said:

Phew!, we are in The Play-Offs. After losing that 0-1 vs Charlton, I took the brave decision of going back to my 3atb Formation & it has paid off so far.

I dropped Brewster & others who Form / Development Progress have dropped. I also played Bolton players` instead of a few Loanees like Foso-Mensah. My Captain Brockbank CB scored a great volley from the edge of the penalty area for our first vs City.

We beat Bristol City Away 3-0 & Palace 2-1 Home, who we play in the Play-Offs.

squeaky bum time !.

Well done Stan and good luck!

18 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Indeed. I'm counting on somebody of your era and calibre to make the connections though Warlock. As far as I know it's a team that hasn't been managed in the thread this year (and rarely if ever have been). There might be a clue in my last Reading update too.

I thought it would be good for some mental stimulation during lock down, but certainly don't want to add to anyone's frustrations. I can give some more clues around specific players of what I would class their best ever team though if anyone is interested. It probably won't help the younger ones amongst us though, bearing in mind this was the late 1970's.

Well done Stan and good luck!

Right - slightly more awake now, shall I pm you?

15 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I'm counting on somebody of your era and calibre to make the connections

Again with the ageist remarks :herman: :lol:

I spent a little time on it last night. First thought was Tranmere, but they don't fit the trophy history. As far as I remember, the only other club Race was associated with after Melchester Rovers was Walford Rovers, which might hint at a club in the East End of London, but I can't think of any that fit the other clues.

Still pondering... 

1 hour ago, warlock said:

Again with the ageist remarks :herman: :lol:

I spent a little time on it last night. First thought was Tranmere, but they don't fit the trophy history. As far as I remember, the only other club Race was associated with after Melchester Rovers was Walford Rovers, which might hint at a club in the East End of London, but I can't think of any that fit the other clues.

Still pondering... 

Oops, no offence :kriss:

To steer you off the wrong path, none of this relates to ROTR or Melchester. But there is a clue in my last Reading update which could explain the conundrum of point 4. Tense times isn't it?

Not Tranmere or Ipswich for the record.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

15 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

You would be lucky to have enough money to buy any future prospects in League 1. Any money spent should probably be on the first team.

Uderstand, but I'm going with Sunderland. Bought Mattias Jakobsen.

And need a backup DR and a first option DL. But I think that I can win with what I have.

16 minutes ago, pedromanuelpinto said:

Uderstand, but I'm going with Sunderland. Bought Mattias Jakobsen.

And need a backup DR and a first option DL. But I think that I can win with what I have.

I would have thought Denver Hume should be good enough at left back.

1 minute ago, Jogo Bonito said:

What are your thought processes behind points 1-5 then Stan?

1.    We are in the EFL and have previously won the old Division 1 and the FA Cup Champions 1919.  FA Cup Winners 1888, 1892, 1931, 1954 & 1968.
2.    Our best-remembered team was arguably in the late 1970’s (but won nothing of importance) The great Team with Regis, Cunningham & Batson etc.
3.    2019/20 saw us celebrate a significant anniversary of something special in our history Celebrating 100 years of winning the League??.
4.    We are neither in League 2 nor the Championship, but did not start 2019/20 in League 1   ??? Are in Championship.
5.    We have fairly iconic kits (home & away) and we are the ideal club for Roy Race to take on after Reading  Stripes Dark Blue & white & green / yellow.

15 minutes ago, nextqprmanager said:

1.    We are in the EFL and have previously won the old Division 1 and the FA Cup Champions 1919.  FA Cup Winners 1888, 1892, 1931, 1954 & 1968.
2.    Our best-remembered team was arguably in the late 1970’s (but won nothing of importance) The great Team with Regis, Cunningham & Batson etc.
3.    2019/20 saw us celebrate a significant anniversary of something special in our history Celebrating 100 years of winning the League??.
4.    We are neither in League 2 nor the Championship, but did not start 2019/20 in League 1   ??? Are in Championship.
5.    We have fairly iconic kits (home & away) and we are the ideal club for Roy Race to take on after Reading  Stripes Dark Blue & white & green / yellow.

Some good thoughts and ideas there. But number 4 is tricky isn't it, and doesn't seem to fit for West Brom does it? Tense times.

What clue did you find in my last Reading update? Take a look at the league table and see what scenario might lead to point 4 making more sense.

51 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Some good thoughts and ideas there. But number 4 is tricky isn't it, and doesn't seem to fit for West Brom does it? Tense times.

What clue did you find in my last Reading update? Take a look at the league table and see what scenario might lead to point 4 making more sense.

I`m confused, I did also think Coventry at one time?

4 hours ago, nextqprmanager said:

Bury? Only guess this  due to number 4.

Let me know if this is too frustrating, I just thought we could all stretch our minds a little.

Here are some player clues relating to that side of the late 1970's. Guesses need to explain how original point 4 applies. Think about that league table, consider any tense in original point 4, and consider a mode of FM game play and see if it can all be linked together. If not, I'll reveal the answer by tomorrow if I'm not told by everyone to put you out of your misery before then :)

1.    The club’s record appearance maker was a key part of the side, and he is still also their record goal scorer. He wasn’t a striker, but was more of a midfield bomber
2.    The icon referenced above had a team-mate with the same surname in the team (forward), and that second player had a team-mate with the same first name in the team (defender)
3.    They had a central defender who featured in an image while playing that displayed iconic similarities to what Terry Butcher is famous for
4.    Two of their best-known players of that era went on to play for Manchester United, and one of those played for an even bigger club than that. 
5.    Their star striker came from non-league football and was allegedly rejected by Reading at the time (possibly their worst transfer decision of all time)
6.    At the time, they had some unusual links to a popular dance group
7.    One of their players made quite an impression in World Cup 78, but not for the right reasons
8.    Their manager later did something that effectively ruined his subsequent career

Edited by Jogo Bonito

13 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Let me know if this is too frustrating, I just thought we could all stretch our minds a little.

Here are some player clues relating to that side of the late 1970's. Guesses need to explain how point 4 applies. Think about that league table, consider any tense in point 4, and consider a mode of FM game play and see if it can all be linked together. If not, I'll reveal the answer by tomorrow if I'm not told by everyone to put you out of your misery before then :)

1.    The club’s record appearance maker was a key part of the side, and he is still also their record goal scorer. He wasn’t a striker, but was more of a midfield bomber
2.    The icon referenced above had a team-mate with the same surname in the team (forward), and that second player had a team-mate with the same first name in the team (defender)
3.    They had a central defender who featured in an image while playing that displayed iconic similarities to what Terry Butcher is famous for
4.    Two of their best-known players of that era went on to play for Manchester United, and one of those played for an even bigger club than that. 
5.    Their star striker came from non-league football and was allegedly rejected by Reading at the time (possibly their worst transfer decision of all time)
7.    One of their players made quite an impression in World Cup 78, but not for the right reasons
8.    Their manager later did something that effectively ruined his subsequent career

Leeds?

20 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Here are some player clues relating to that side of the late 1970's. Guesses need to explain how original point 4 applies. Think about that league table, consider any tense in original point 4, and consider a mode of FM game play and see if it can all be linked together. If not, I'll reveal the answer by tomorrow if I'm not told by everyone to put you out of your misery before then :)

It`s definately West Brom, but I will come back to edit why !

On 09/03/2020 at 22:11, Jogo Bonito said:

1300356225_RFClogo.thumb.jpg.acde264689c8d3a6c2bf92f726ba3152.jpg

June 2019 - Reading, England

In what is seen as a slightly risky move by the board, Roy Race has been appointed as the new boss of Championship club Reading

After several seasons only narrowly avoiding relegation, the Berkshire outfit decided to act and will expect the unheralded Englishman to improve their fortunes

The Chinese owners have been very supportive of the last few incumbents with funding and backing where FFP has allowed them to

The new man inherits a squad which has some exciting young players, a slightly stronger spine than before, and enough ability to make an immediate impression

July 2019 - Reading, England

Having assessed the squad, the new manager was content not to add any new names to his group in the summer transfer window

However, he did bring back enigmatic Gambian winger Mo Barrow from his loan spell in Turkey as the rapid wide man can be unplayable on his day at this level

Race has also culled some of the deadwood that has typified the lethargy seen amongst the squad in recent seasons, and a couple of others were lucky to survive the chop

415241020_RFCtransfernews.thumb.jpg.28a7a4bd510f332df50eb92c8abefd86.jpg

Having lauded the exciting potential at the club, it may be seen as a surprise that highly-rated young forward Danny Loader was one of those sent on his way

It is widely understood that the interest from Rochdale was no more than paper talk - but there were 13 clubs chasing the England Youth international as Race took charge

Having frequently disappointed when allowed his chance in the first team, and with the player not keen on signing a new deal, a price of £5 million was put on his head

Interested parties started with derisory offers of less than £500,000 but Race and the board held their nerve until more realistic bids started to roll in

The £5 million asking price seemed slightly more than his suitors would pay, but plenty of £4 million offers followed and the club decided that was good enough

With the entire £4 million being paid in full and upfront, it was down to the player and his agent to secure the right deal

And in the end the winners of this chase were Arsenal, who promptly offered the attacker out on loan to continue his development

Race, however, was not interested in taking him back and didn't feel that was a move that would benefit the club in his first season  

1230243081_LoadertoRochdale.thumb.png.1542d138cc745e1a3e4032f51ad44389.png

453579255_Loadersale.thumb.png.d0151d7830b9a3fbbf199c35b04f0d61.png

Race also knew that several other members of the first team squad were costing too much money for their mediocre skills, and this group were never going to get a look in

This assessment saw Sone Aluko, Adrian Popa, Vito Mannone and loanee Lucas Boye all depart within days of the new man's arrival

Of that quartet, only Mannone (briefly) had offered anything in his Reading career but Rafael Cabral is not going to be ousted in goal any time soon

Race hinted off-record that he has doubts over Romanian striker George Puscas following his expensive switch from Inter Milan, but an injury ruled out any summer sale

New Brazilian midfielder Felipe Araruna is another that was allegedly close to an early exit, with Race not convinced he will cope with the demands of English football

It is thought that fellow Brazilian Alexandre Mattos, the new Director of Football, may have persuaded Race to delay making a hasty decision on his countryman though

And so this is the 25-man squad that Race will be working with at least until the next transfer window in January

259918801_ReadingPlayers1.thumb.png.164a98da03c4f0043f167934049e7a6f.png

1744277177_ReadingPlayers2.thumb.png.8bb399437ec7c2abc8567f7f20dfa54b.png

Race also has en eye on next summer, where he can already count on the pre-agreed permanent transfer of on-loan midfielder Ovie Ejaria from Liverpool

He would like to turn the loan of Monaco midfielder Judilson Gomes (Pele) in to a long-term deal too, but Monaco are asking way too much for that at this stage 

Sources close to the club have revealed that Garath McCleary, Sam Baldock and Charlie Adam have been told they won't be here beyond their contract expiry dates in June 2020

The likes of Chris Gunter, Jordan Obita and Tyler Blackett are also out of contract at the end of the season, but it is believed Race is keen to keep them around a while longer

August 2019 - Reading, England

1002317763_RFCheader.thumb.jpg.bb86a835384964b29960a69ce1de082c.jpg

Race was keen to test his side against a mix of opponents in pre-season, and performances were largely impressive despite numerous absences from resting international players

And as the new Championship season arrived, his methods have been rewarded with an unbeaten start from his first six league games

That's not bad at all for a club with a media prediction of 17th, and the new man will be hoping that he can keep this run of form going for a while longer

The Carabao Cup exit at Bristol City was a minor setback but we think a rotated squad shows where the new manager's priorities might lay this season

1304386273_Reading_Fixtures1.1.thumb.png.0ccd53318b98c6ce1d9549af019d3f1d.png

And this article ends with a quick look at how things have been shaping up for Race and his side in the first two months of his reign

The creative midfield talents of John Swift, rookie Michael Olise and the aforementioned Ejaria have been pleasing on the eye for most Loyal Royals

In attack Yakou Meite lacks finesse but offers plenty of other things in support of striker Lucas Joao, and the defence should settle once injury problems relent

131437043_RFCprogress1.1.thumb.png.1e0dfe0d6fad6b28dc87ccbc13dc5ed5.png

Hello love the write up

how are you finding it I’m toying with the idea of going reading 

2 hours ago, nextqprmanager said:

It`s definately West Brom, but I will come back to edit why !

Agreed... now that JB has provided additional clues. The 78 world cup player gave it away for me.

Original clue 4 is answered in JB's FM save, not real life. I think Stan got most of the other clues, but I'm struggling to answer No.5 - why they are the ideal club for Roy Race.

In FM terms, they look like a good prospect; I considered them before my abortive Boston save but decided they were a bit too easy. But relegated to L1 it looks like a better challenge.

I've just started a new game with Bath. I'm hoping to have  a pretty long stint with them, although I haven't managed this down far the pyramid before. My best save in FM19 was a game with Linense where I ended up having them challenging for the title. Hopefully I can do something similar here. :cool:

image.thumb.png.a0f84d300490ddaeb23adea8cd7be5a3.png

image.thumb.png.3c9fd23171ab121ef3f61c277afe7165.png

Six games in and things are going well. I've only managed to make one signing, James Bailey, who is already our best player. An 18 year old on loan from Colchester, Noah Chilvers, was here when I arrived and also looks decent.  Other than that, everyone looks OK for this level, but no real stand outs. 

image.png

19 hours ago, nextqprmanager said:

Well done Stan, you were right and sorry for teasing you about point 4 - but I never said you were wrong :lol:

447295787_Vintage2.thumb.jpg.77c14f9681d053ace7cf3b9d64974ed2.jpgRegis.thumb.jpg.b1525945163e05401d43a3200c6458c7.jpg

Above and below, the legendary Cyrille Regis.

687696745_CyrilleRegis.thumb.jpg.fcc1365dee41ab4e7c7cf715bd1ed27c.jpg

The scene at the end of the 1978 FA Cup semi final defeat to Ipswich. The nearest player is Tony Brown (see below) 

210195616_8thApril1978.thumb.jpg.17a596d611920d9706bc02042b19db60.jpg

West Brom did indeed win the top flight for the one and only time in 1919/1920 season, hence the 100 year anniversary of it. You're spot on about 'The Three Degrees' and about the iconic kits, particularly the away one. The use of the word Ideal was the hidden clue there, being the sponsors name on the front of the shirts. The current shirts are therefore very similar to those from their successful era :cool:

Warlock has now explained the riddle of point 4. The hidden clue was me mentioning the word tense a few times, the references to the league table were to see that they got relegated (somehow) to League 1 in my Reading game, so I have taken them over for the start of 2020/2021 in League 1.

1.    The club’s record appearance maker was a key part of the side, and he is still also their record goal scorer. He wasn’t a striker, but was more of a midfield bomber Attacking midfielder Tony 'Bomber' Brown made 720 appearances for the club and scored 279 goals for the club (both club records)
2.    The icon referenced above had a team-mate with the same surname in the team (forward), and that second player had a team-mate with the same first name in the team (defender) The forward was Ally Brown & the defender was Ally Robertson
3.    They had a central defender who featured in an image while playing that displayed iconic similarities to what Terry Butcher is famous for John Wile played the 1978 FA Cup SF against Ipswich with blood all over his head and face
4.    Two of their best-known players of that era went on to play for Manchester United, and one of those played for an even bigger club than that Bryan Robson & the late Laurie Cunningham (who also went on to play for Real Madrid)
5.    Their star striker came from non-league football and was allegedly rejected by Reading at the time (possibly their worst transfer decision of all time) The legendary and iconic Cyrille Regis (RIP) was signed from Hayes in May 1977 for an initial fee of £5,000 on the recommendation of Chief Scout Ronnie Allen, who then took over as club manager shortly afterwards
6.    At the time, they had some unusual links to a popular dance group Regis, Cunningham and Brendan Batson (who went on to work for the PFA) were nicknamed The Three Degrees and since 2019 there is now a statue of the trio outside the stadium
7.    One of their players made quite an impression in World Cup 78, but not for the right reasons Scotland winger Willie Johnston was sent home from the 1978 World Cup in Argentina for failing a drug test
8.    Their manager later did something that effectively ruined his subsequent career Ron Atkinson replaced Ronnie Allen in January 1978 when the latter took the Saudi Arabia national team job. Atkinson was working as a TV pundit after his managerial career ended, but that finished in 2004 due to racial insults when he thought he was off-mic 

Apologies for a temporary thread hijack, hope it was a little bit of fun though.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

2 hours ago, tom_b said:

I've just started a new game with Bath. I'm hoping to have  a pretty long stint with them, although I haven't managed this down far the pyramid before. My best save in FM19 was a game with Linense where I ended up having them challenging for the title. Hopefully I can do something similar here. :cool:

Welcome and I hope you have an enjoyable time running the Bath. Certainly a positive start.