FM20: The English Football League thread

warlock

698.png.3e63b17ae365d9aaa4ad69abdc32b9f4.png

A big summer upheaval for us whilst I tried to figure out what we needed to do tactically and which bodies to get in to give a good crack at getting out of this division. After what seemed like trialling around about 100 players, I settled on making seven changes, whilst letting two go out and two out on loan. Perhaps out of all my signings, on loan from Southampton, Adam Phillips and Danny Redmond seem to have come in to greatly improve our playing squad.

1270197637_DanNLundulu_Profile.thumb.png.ad27e0c8008998979b2b184e4004e1c9.png

I'm very excited for N'Lundulu and he seems to have hit the ground running. His low composure may hold him back a little but he seems very good for this level.

271356364_AdamPhillips_Profile.thumb.png.da90dcf76f616a56bdf5dfe267d946eb.png

Phillips seems like a great addition to add some magic into the middle of the park. For this level, this lad can pass a ball and he will be orchestrating the team, everything shall go through him.

326670143_DannyRedmond_Profile.thumb.png.715adb2502dcefbc522caf8532b6b9e5.png

He's had a bit of a stop start through injury but the early glances suggest Danny will be a great player for the club, we shall soon see but so far so good.

We managed to sell Oyeleke, who was only a rotation player last season for 40k and managed to keep our wage budget 2k under budget as opposed to last year when we were over budget most of the way through and a lot of the deadwood left at the start of the transfer window. Now onto results.

65643c808d313b06cebec2fc22264774.png

So far so good but it is very early in the season. We began with a frustrating 1-1 with Crawley at home in a match we dominated, but then followed up with back to back two goal victories, the highlight being the away game at Northampton where we had 18 shots on target and completed nearly 500 passes! 

As I say though, it's only early days but there is a bit more buzz around Vale Park this season!

Look forward to reading more from all of you guys!

Edited by oakesypvfc

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bolton Wanderers - Season 3 - Part 1

Season Preview - EFL Championship

After gaining promotion from League One to the Championship through the Playoffs, the boards expectation was that we push on and avoid relegation. Expectations are fairly low, with the grand aspiration of becoming an established Championship side in five years being the peak of the board's ambition. This is due to the club's poor financial position, with the club's overall objective being that we work within our means. Rightly so, given the predicament they found themselves in real life. Over the last two seasons I have improved the club's financial position through player sales, cashing in on transfer clauses and through on the pitch success. There is though, still a lot of work to be done, with over £27m of debt still attached to the club.

I, as usually is the case, have loftier ambitions that those the club set for me and would like to aim for mid-table in our first season back at this level. We achieved promotion a year after narrowly avoiding relegation, so I guess anything is possible! I knew that this would require a lot of wheeling and dealing, but that is the element that I enjoy most about the game.

Transfers Out

32354450_TransfersOut.thumb.png.c245d6e8d4625c7d098670657126859f.png

The budget was very low and so I knew that I needed to make player sales to fund arrivals. To put it in context, even after all of the above player sales, which I converted into wages to fund free transfer signings, we still had the third lowest wage bill in the division. Andy King was one of my key performers last season, so it was a tough call whether to sell him. But he'd passed thirty, had a good level of interest from the MLS with a good value, so after an assessment of the free agents available, I decided to cash in. My philosophy this save has been all about the greater good and I knew I could strengthen in multiple positions with the funds. Rhodes, Gallagher and Costa were all players who had under-performed, so I was happy to see the back of them. 23 players well also sent out on loan, with the most notable being Robbie Burton.

Transfers In

231085783_TransferIn.thumb.png.347ffce50aa857393822d1da50b16d02.png

My first priority was to renew the loans of the loanees who had starred for me in the promotion campaign. To my delight, I was able to renew Brandon Williams and Filip Stuparevic before the last season had even ended. However, I was left gutted when Man Utd said they wanted to give first team opportunities to James Garner. I waited a while and went back to them after he had left the club, and to my surprise they were happy to let him go. Garner and Williams will now have been with me for three seasons and are a big part of the identity of this team.

I took a vast number of free agents on trial so I could quickly assess their ability and work out their wage demands. I find it to be a fine art balancing when you start contract discussions in relation to when funds are coming in from sales - start too soon and you could blow it. There was lots of frustration, with some players who had spent all of pre-season with me going elsewhere at the last minute. For example, I've developed a particular dislike for Sheff Weds after they snatched Morgan Schneiderlin and Jordan Hugill from me at the last minute!

Goalkeepers

Goalkeepers.thumb.png.362590922503ce536a3913dc87a57f5b.png

I was pleased with my 'keepers going into the season as Maric had been a wall for me the prior year and Matthews was a very capable understudy. Matthews had been making noise about wanting to leave but he declared himself happy to stay in the summer, making my life simpler. I brought in Joe Hart as my third choice shot-stopper after learning he only wanted £1.8k per week. A bargain, I thought, for a man of his experience and with his leadership qualities.

Defenders

Defenders.thumb.png.d99a5f80ffedde8ee962a93f41c2d3a2.png

After renewing Williams, I was comfortable with my options at full back going into the season. Clauss and G Williams are both solid options and Boon has great potential. The major addition in the centre was Welsh international Tom Lockyer who arrived from Charlton. It felt harsh on Wright and Streete who both had good seasons, but you can't turn down an opportunity to improve.

Midfielders.thumb.png.6d34ac609133c619836d98d13f1de05d.png

Midfield was the area of the team that saw the most change. I see the big difference between League One and the Championship as being pace and creativity. It stands to reason that we are going to get less chances in games, so we needed better quality players providing these to our strikers. The replacement for King was Conor Hourihane, a player of great quality but perhaps with a questionable fitness record. I wanted some young talents to challenge for the centre midfield berths, having relied on loanees for back-up last season, so I was delighted to be able to secure young Eric Junior Dina Ebimbe from Havre AC and Jake Doyle-Hayes from Aston Villa, both with good potential.

The wings were our biggest weakness last season. I am now full of optimism after pulling off a coup to sign Christian Atsu. I also recruited wingers Diemerdi Ndongala on a free from Genk and Boubacar Fofana on loan from Lyon. Teaming this with a finally fully fit Fuhrich and the ever improving talents Wallem and King-Harmes, I now have a level of depth on the flanks I have not enjoyed at this club before. Some of you may recall that I sold wonderkid Ronan Darcy to Watford for £8m, rising to £10m. So when I saw him on the loan list, it was an opportunity too good to refuse. I am having to cover his £8.5k per week wages, but hopefully he turns out to be worth it. I had been pursuing former Preston and Man United centre attacking mid Josh Harrop at the same time as I was Darcy, so when the Darcy deal was agreed I maybe should have maybe stepped away, as I then had two attacking mids at the club (Ahmedi being the other). But with Harrop being English, young and with a high potential, the possibility to sell him on for a big profit appealed too much and so I finalised his transfer too.

Forwards

Strikers.thumb.png.67dd106eb7880025b95322cc070c6ffd.png

I decided in pre-season that I would be sticking with my 4-2-3-1 formation, so I didn't need a great number of forwards going into the season. The plan is for Stuperavic to be my main man with local lad Brown as his understudy. I came across the teenager Gerard Fernandez who had been released by Barcelona. He was being chased by over 30 clubs, so I was gobsmacked when he chose Bolton as his new home. Hopefully he can live up to his potential, in a tough league.

Pre-season

Friendlies.png

Results in pre-season were pleasing with a draw against Premier League side Southampton encouraging (not being trounced by City can also be considered a success!). The main objective, of course, is to build fitness, team cohesion and test out a number of trialists. Bring on the new season!

Edited by Dong21

1 hour ago, oakesypvfc said:

So far so good

Yes - it might be early, but a good start is always welcome.

1 hour ago, Dong21 said:

would like to aim for mid-table in our first season back at this level

That's a good squad you've put together, I think. I'm a huge fan of James Garner and Brandon Williams, and that looks like a pretty potent strikeforce.

Dong21, Your Bolton save is interesting to me since I have a Bolton save. I am 2nd Season, having got promoted via the Play-offs like you. Currently in Championship play-off position in January. I have done it using mainly Prem loans. Not sure that will last. My wages are over budget, so I have to off-load many. I have found it very difficult to sell players` or even loan out for wages.

Your save is interesting in that you have used mainly different players`. GL to you.

Thanks @oakesypvfc! I like the look of the recruits you've brought in at Port Vale. N'Lundulu should bag a good amount of goals at that level.

@warlock I still can't believe United allowed me to take the pair, and that they wanted to come, let alone for three seasons!

Always interesting to see different managers approaches with the same club @nextqprmanager - sounds like you are doing great if you're already in the Playoffs. With regards to player sales, I always have one eye on the potential of a resale when signing a player on a free transfer and it's worked out quite well so far.

Bolton Wanderers - Season 3 - Part 2

Promising Beginnings

In my recent update I detailed the changes I've made to the squad to equip us for life in the Championship, now it's time to let you know how we've got on so far.

797329348_Schedule1.thumb.png.955757b874e3a3fe144fcf7ded1eb971.png

When the fixtures were announced I grimaced as the teams we had drawn to start the season looked particularly tough. I therefore was delighted with the strong start that we made to the campaign. These early results were more about grit and determination as we switched our approach to focus more on the counter attack. The resolute nature of my side can be seen by the fact we scored an 84th minute winner, two 87th minute winners and two 89th minute winners! It should be noted that these were not snatch and grabs though, as we had over 60% possession in every game. The narrow defeat to Crystal Palace was not disheartening as they are strong favourites to win the league and in fact after 15 games they remain undefeated. I was annoyed that we lost to minnows Bristol Rovers, but they actually sit 6th after three months, so perhaps I shouldn't be so disheartened.

Wright got injured for six weeks on the eve of the season, so that answered the question for me as to which centre-back would make way for Lockyer. Stuparevic was the star of this early stage of the season as he was particularly clinical in front of goal.

785579665_Schedule2.thumb.png.d449daab8ec466517e6192241c46ea2e.png

September was an altogether different month, as after 6 wins out of 8 to start the season, we failed to pick up even one this time around. Former summer trialist Schneiderlin got sent off against us when playing Sheff Weds, however we still weren't able to capitalise to turn the draw into a win. A thrashing at Old Trafford was demoralising but not exactly unexpected, they were just on another level (Solskjaer still there, somewhat surprisingly!). The biggest positive from the month was that young Eddie Brown got his first two Championship goals. Hopefully many more to come.

697756568_Schedule3.thumb.png.b860c01ec888a9c57fea1ea5e1a883be.png

After a draw with Oxford I decided to use the international break to boost morale with a match against an inferior side. We pumped 10 past local Ashton Town, but it didn't have exactly the desired effect as we went on to lose three times in a row. The three defeats were narrow though and against good opposition. In fact one big positive so far is that we haven't been turned over by anyone yet. I would of course, prefer points than positives! We lost Hourihane to a hip injury prior to the Nottm Forest match and he was ruled out for two months. He had a long-term injury in each of the two prior seasons, so perhaps I should have expected it. I always try and look at these things from a positive perspective as it creates playing opportunities for the younger players in my squad. The month ended on a high with a convincing 3-0 win against Hull. Stuparevic got a hat-trick, his first goals in 7 games. Hopefully the win gives us some momentum to push onwards.

Table.thumb.png.fcedf71332271d2d1cfa3d0851943faa.png

So in a season that already has had highs and lows, we are currently sitting mid-table. This was my objective but their feels like there is room for improvement. We shall see how the season pans out. Stuparevic and Streete have been the star-men to date, along with Hourihane prior to his injury.

927578592_DulwichHamletCrest.jpg.8b90697248115cb2e6a335b967e21d13.jpg

Dulwich Hamlet FC: 2020/21 Mid-Season Report

We headed into a first ever campaign in the Conference National with some optimism, but still wary of a potentially difficult campaign. Last season had been incredible, but promotion was to bring with it a whole new and fresh challenge. We were not fancied to do very well, with many tipping us to drop straight back down. I was confident that our squad was better than that though, and targeted a season of consolidation. We had made some clever additions over the summer, and we were in good shape to begin and really try and hit the ground running.

We certainly did hit the ground running, summer signings Cameron Archer and Dilan Markanday bagging goals as we beat Harrogate Town 2-1 away from home on the opening day. I didn't want one result to build up too much confidence within me, but my team continued to defy me throughout August. Seven matches played, and seven victories. We were top of the league, and already four points ahead of heavy title favourites Oldham Athletic. Unsurprisingly we dropped points right off the bat in September, drawing our first three matches of the month. Sandwiched in there was a 0-0 draw at home to Oldham, in a match we completely dominated and really should have won. Nonetheless a very pleasing result, as I expected that game to bring an end to our unbeaten start. Worried that run would signal the start of a rot, I shouldn't have been as we ended the month with a couple of solid victories.

We would go mostly through October before tasting a league defeat, in our sixteenth match of the campaign. A disappointing collapse seeing us lose 1-2 at home to Barnet due to a stoppage time goal. We followed that with another defeat to end the month, as fear began to hit me. What had been a nine point lead at the top had quickly dropped to three, and suddenly we weren't having things all our own way. Thankfully we bounced back with a demolition of Yeovil Town next up, as braces for Devonte Aransibia and Dilan Markanday helped us to a 5-2 victory. At this stage international youth call ups for Luka Nakov and Isak Porvaldsson led to a two week break in league action. We used this time to try and offer a new contract to star midfielder Ben Chapman, who had started the season in sensational form. Two goals and nine assists in nineteen matches meant that I was desperate to tie him to a longer deal. He was not remotely interested in discussing terms though, and so I decided this was a good time to look for a replacement, as his contract expires at the end of the season. Delightfully we signed a man I had wanted ever since I arrived at this football club. Darren Oldaker was picked up on a free transfer from Billericay Town, with only a 20% future sell on clause included in the deal.

2139851945_DarrenOldaker.thumb.png.b7990287d0de3f544a94fb205cb64147.png

The 21-year old has signed a three year contract with us, on £725 per week. It's a big contract, but he is a really big talent. At his age he still has plenty of time to develop yet, and he left Billericay with them sat at the top of the Conference South and chasing promotion. Two goals and five assists in his seventeen league appearances convincing me that we should move to bring him in. During the fixture break we also completed the stadium expansion work on Champion Hill. We now have a 4,000 capacity stadium, with 500 seats. The first game after the break saw a club record 3,376 fans flock in, as a Devonte Aransibia header in stoppage time rescued us a 1-1 draw against bottom of the league Maidenhead. We continued to put form together through a busy December, and at the turn of the year find ourselves in a very comfortable position. We really are exceeding all expectations at this stage of the campaign.

969728232_MidTable.thumb.png.9230ee249c06a0299a3a968cb1d3b5ac.png

After seeing the financial benefits of a decent FA Cup run last season, I decided to place a little more importance on doing well in the cup competitions this time around. The finance brought in last season enabled us to complete the necessary stadium expansion without crippling the club, and I was looking at another decent run to help us improve them further. Weymouth were our opponents in the fourth and final qualifying round of the FA Cup, and a much changed side struggled to a 0-0 draw. We took no prisoners for the replay at home, and a strong performance gave us a 3-0 victory and a spot in the First Round proper. Conference North side Kettering Town came to Champion Hill, and took a surprising lead early on, after a stunning long range striker. Thankfully our quality paid off though, and goals from Cameron Archer, Isak Porvaldsson and Dilan Markanday gave us a 3-1 win. Our reward was a Second Round tie away against League Two side Walsall.

In honesty I didn't expect much, and it was more about picking up gate receipts than the result itself. We found ourselves defending for large parts of the game, but did so solidly. In the end we left it late, but a goal from Dilan Markanday on 79 minutes gave us a 1-0 victory and a spot in the Third Round. Hoping for a big tie away at a Premier League side, we were left disappointed. In an exciting draw though, we will play host to Championship side Preston North End. I'm sure it'll attract a big crowd, and I am definitely expecting a club record attendance. In the FA Trophy we drew Conference South side Havant & Waterlooville in Round One, and a confident display saw us run out 5-0 winners. In the Second Round we've been given a tricky tie, as we will play host to Oldham Athletic.

We've had a great start to the season, although I don't want us to go and get too far ahead of ourselves just yet. Promotion was never really on our agenda for this season, and our recent form is slightly more of what I had expected. If we could scramble into the play-offs I would be absolutely delighted, but we will have to wait and see. For me the most pleasing aspect has been how well our summer arrivals have settled into our side. Jonathan Dinzeyi has sotted in nicely at the back, and has ousted Quade Taylor from a starting berth next to Jarvis Edobor. Isak Porvaldsson and Emmanuel Adebiyi have impressed in midfield, and winger Dilan Markanday already has 10 league goals for us. Up top Cameron Archer hasn't been as prolific as I had hoped, but he's keeping Dipo Akenyimi and Danny Mills out of the side, and has managed 9 goals so far.

Another good FA Cup run has done wonders for our finances, with an exciting Third Round tie yet to come. Even the high wage we signed Darren Oldaker on hasn't affected us money wise. I'm still hopeful we can persuade Ben Chapman to put pen to paper on a new contract, but at least now we are geared up if he decides to depart. Financially we are heading the right way, meaning that there is no pressure for promotion in that respect. The stadium expansion will help us too, with more fans able to come through the turnstiles. The coming few months are sure to be stressful, but at the same time it really is an unbelievable time to be a Dulwich Hamlet fan.

Walsall Season 3 Review

image.jpeg.ef2c6d21ce6b1b73325a34f1a5feea41.jpeg

Season 3 went better then I thought, I would of been happy to just stay in the division but I managed to get 10th place in the league. 

image.thumb.png.24c1ca07e83f185ebc18893873d29924.png

I managed to get 68 points with 18 wins, 14 draws and 14 losses. I am hoping to improve the defense to try to convert some of them losses into draws or even wins.

image.thumb.png.86ee01159775d665c17c0aa347392d2d.png

Caolan Lavery was my top scorer with 32 goals which is good considering he only has 12 in finishing. He was only top scorer in the Championship

image.thumb.png.254b35266899d320c0c206767b2a79de.png

image.thumb.png.788af5d44563723163cb31821292a5a2.png

My other key players were Kory Roberts who got the best average rating of 7.14 andDenilson Carvalho who got 9 assists and 6 goals.

image.thumb.png.b7e0b2bec639b3bd9ac6d0446544858e.png

image.thumb.png.927b4fde6d09a2969ae1b8e2bc8e55dd.png

Ibrahima Cisse needs to calm down with 20 yellow cards and 1 red card for the season. 

Phenomenal efforts to go from expectations of relegation to topping the table @goonergez - good luck for the final stage of the campaign.

Brentford.thumb.png.97a50cfdabdee04fbe892ba9cd96a278.png

As an aside in my career, I've just had an offer to interview to join the legion of managers who are taking on Brentford. They are 18th in the Premier League, but with only 15 games played and them only being 4 points off 11th, I can see a lot of potential for success. It is tempting but, that said, I am a long-term save man and there is still a lot of work to be done with Bolton so I will be saying "thanks, but no thanks" to Mr Benham.

Edited by Dong21

After selling Burgess I realised my Tonbridge save had gone a little bit stale, so decided to have a crack with a team I enjoyed on FM17...

Hungerford_Town_F.C._logo.png

I do like taking on the battlers, and it wouldn't be a stretch to say they have probably the worst squad in both the Conference North and South, with very little spare wage budget and very few worthwhile players willing to join on loan either. They do however start with one of my all time favourite real life players, FGR legend super Yan Klukowski, a quality left back in Joe Tomlinson and an excellent 'keeper in Birmingham loanee Adam Siviter.

transfers.thumb.PNG.0947c3f3db5d5cac86bf22f19f17d731.PNG

I scrambled all pre-season to try and put a squad together to fit my trusted 4-2-3-1, however still went into the season expecting to be somewhere in the bottom half given the majority of my best XI are regional quality. But we have really surprised to date, holding onto a playoff spot as we approach the halfway mark. We are also top five in the league in both goals scored and conceded which is a nice balance and suggests our form may be sustainable. It is a fairly small squad however so we may struggle over the festive period - if we are still in or around the playoffs come the end of January I will be very happy.

1657836539_midtable.PNG.0f6a3a97bd7ea336bf88c28d72e459fb.PNG

Player wise, it's been a fairly even effort across the board. Striker Liam Ferdinand started the season really strongly with five goals in as many matches, however it is now youngsters Siph Mdlalose and Zidan Akers who have become our focal points with eight goals apiece. Klukowski has been excellent in midfield while Baboucarr Jarra has been a towering presence at the back (all 193cm and 105kg of him), leading the division in key headers, key tackles and interceptions.

I don't think promotion is a realistic aim, as the five strongest teams in the division occupy the top five spots and all have loads more quality, but a top ten finish would really give me something to build on. Weymouth at home next already shapes as a six-pointer.

I've started a Grimsby save on FM, so I hope you don't mind me posting.

Currently on 1st January 2020 and I find myself 3rd in the league. Currently all teams have the squad they started with, as I disabled the first transfer window to make it a little more realistic.

Goalkeepers:

James McKeown. Played: 29. Conceded: 22. Clean Sheets: 14. Contract Expires: 30/6/2022

Currently wanted by Swansea, but I'm hoping he will stay. He will be number one this season and next regardless of division.

Sam Russell. Played: 4. Conceded: 4. Clean Sheets: 1. Contract Expires: 30/6/2020

Not really played, with his appearances only being in the Check-a-Trade Trophy. Out of contract at the end of the season. He does double up as the Goalkeeping Coach, but I feel I could have a youngster that is sat on the bench on cheaper wages.

Defenders:

Luke Waterfall: Played: 26. Goals: 2. Assists: 0. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

One of my first choice defenders, happy with him this season, despite his 10 yellow cards.

Harry Davis: Played: 8. Goals: 0. Assists: 0. Contract Expires: 30/6/2020.

Mainly being a back up for me so far, only playing a handful of games. Is wanted by 4 teams from the division above, but wouldn't deny him a move in this transfer window as he would be moved on come the end of the season.

Mattie Pollock: Played: 25. Goals: 2. Assists: 0. Contract Expires: 30/6/2023.

One of my first tasks was to give him a new deal. He will be my best centre half and is only 18. Can see a big future ahead of him.

Ludvig Ohman: Played: 7. Goals 1. Assists 0. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

Probably my fourth choice centre half and on 1.1k a week. Potentially looking to moving him on at the end of the season. Solid back up.

Anthony Glennon: Played 6. Goals 0. Assists 1. Loan Expires: 30/6/2020.

On loan from Burnley. Solid back up. Hasn't really had a chance though.

Luke Hendrie: Played 27. Goals: 0. Assists: 6. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

First choice right back, solid and dependable.

Bradley Garmston: Played: 27. Goals: 2. Assists: 2. Contract Expires: 30/6/2020.

First choice left back. Wasn't sure at the beginning but he has grown on me. Unsure where he will be come the end of the season.

Elliot Hewitt: Played 6(13). Goals: 0. Assists: 0. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

Back up right back, but has been covering defensive midfield from the bench. 

Midfielders:

Jake Hessenthaler: Played: 28. Goals: 1. Assists: 3. Contract Expires: 30/6/2020.

Mainly the defensive midfielder in the team. One of my musts is to get his contract extended.

Elliot Whitehouse: Played: 6. Goals: 1. Assists: 1. Contract Expires: 30/6/2020.

Unreliable player. Constantly injured for me. Will be moving on at the end of the season.

Harry Clifton: Played: 28(2). Goals: 0. Assists: 5. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

"One of our own" is doing well. Very dependable and gets up and down in matches for me. He's one of the first names on the team sheet for me now.

Elliot Grandin: Played: 23(6). Goals: 9. Assists: 5. Contract Expires: 30/6/2020.

Wasn't sure on him to begin with. Started the season on the bench, but took his chances and has been in the first team since. Currently unhappy, as I rejected some bids for him that came in, and I want to extend his contract before the end of the season.

Josh Benson: Played: 12(15). Goals: 1. Assists: 3. Loan Expires: 30/6/2020.

Started the season with high hopes. Saidly they've gone and has since been displaced by Grandin. Only on loan, but probably wouldn't look at getting him again next season.

Jordan Cook: Played 4(3). Goals: 0. Assists: 1. Contract Expires: 30/6/2020.

Although an actual ACM, I have been playing him in CM so I am covering him here. Doesn't really fit into the team and not the best. Will probably move on come the end of the season.

Wingers:

Max Wright: Played: 15(8). Goals: 6. Assists: 1. Contract Expires: 30/6/2020.

Another "one of our own". Started on the bench, but has been starting more recently. Another one with a bright future ahead of him. Fleetwood currently after him, but hoping he stays.

James Tilley: Played 19. Goals: 1. Assists: 4. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

First choice left winger when he isn't injured. A bit like most of my wingers, seems to have a few injuries.

Charles Vernam: Played 15(12). Goals: 1. Assists: 3. Contract Expires: 30/6/2020.

Another one with high hopes for, mainly because of how he has been in real life. Underperformed for me this season, but not ruling out extending his contract.

Billy Clarke: Played: 14(7). Goals: 1. Assists: 5. Contract Expires: 30/6/2020.

Another one that has been injured for me so hasn't had a "proper" run for me so far. One of the experienced pro's in what is a younger team.

Strikers:

Matt Green: Played: 2(17). Goals: 5. Assists: 0. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

Mainly appears off the bench for me and seems to get the odd goal. 

Ahkeem Rose: Played: 3(8). Goals: 3. Assists: 0. Contract Expires: 30/6/2020.

Young pro that has come through the youth system. Another one for the future probably.

James Hanson: Played: 29. Goals: 15. Assists: 2. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

The big man up top is reliable and finds the back of the net when needed! Only worry is he's now 32 so eventually will need replacing.

1536326245_DulwichHamletCrest.jpg.db7885c394e766d52c42879fc03f1aeb.jpg

Dulwich Hamlet 2020/21 Review

A simply stunning campaign for us, as we settled into the Conference National from the get go, stringing together a delightful 16 match unbeaten run. That run meant we had already basically achieved our pre-season hopes of staying up and avoiding relegation. Suddenly we were chasing promotion, and that is where I left you.

I should be happy with our campaign really, as we topped the table for all but a total of three weeks over the entirety of the season. Unfortunately that three weeks included the final day of the campaign, and so we went on and missed out on the league title. On the final day Oldham Athletic played Wrexham in a 1st versus 3rd battle, and we hosted mid-table Ebbsfleet United who had nothing to play for. If Oldham didn't win (they lost 0-1), all we needed was a victory to clinch the crown and make it back to back titles. Despite controlling the entire game, we were wasteful in front of goal and drew 0-0 to finish in 2nd place. In fact being wasteful in front of goal was exactly what blew our lead at the top, and left us requiring anything on the final day. The goals dried up for Cameron Archer (15), Devonte Aransibia (9) and Dilan Markanday (15) as we started to draw and lose really silly matches. Defensively we were still fairly solid, Luka Nakov keeping an impressive 23 clean sheets over the season. That was even more than he managed last season, and once again he topped the pile for the league as well. Two golden gloves in two seasons for the young Macedonian.

1523360925_FinalTable.thumb.png.29ceed2f392c4dd21990c324b2f51019.png

We breezed past York City in the play-off semi-final, controlling the game from start to finish. Cameron Archer gave us he lead after just 32 seconds, and we never looked like letting it slip. A stoppage time penalty would have wrapped up the result, but Darren Oldaker drilled his effort straight at the goalkeeper. Remarkable his fifth penalty miss at the club since his arrival (he only scored one penalty for us). The final was against Oldham Athletic, who we just couldn't beat. Three matches against them without scoring, and just the one draw. By half time we were 0-2 down again, and despite pulling back a goal we fell to a 1-2 defeat to end our hopes of back to back promotion campaigns.

1630842205_Playoffloss.thumb.png.38bd26f83fe52869853ab12f4ef99a85.png

Our cup runs both ended a round after I last updated you. Preston North End visited Champion Hill, and a club record attendance and a sell out of 4,000 watched us slip to a narrow but impressive 1-2 defeat. In the FA Trophy it was Oldham Athletic who ended our run, seeing us off with a 0-2 score line.

A disappointing end to a fantastic season. Runners-up in the league was a phenomenal first effort from my team, and one I am not sure can be matched. Decent runs in both cups have lifted our finances past the £1,000,000 mark, and everything off of the field looks in good shape. I am absolutely devastated to have missed out on promotion though, especially having led the league for so long. It really does feel like a massive kick in the teeth. I'm not going to lie, its actually damaged a bit of my love for this save, and I am tempted to put it on the back burner to return to later. I'm keen to get involved on the daFuge challenge, and that may be my next stop. I'm going to play through the pre-season with Dulwich Hamlet for now, and I will see if it peaks my interest enough to keep me going for the time being or not.

------------------------------

Dulwich Hamlet FC Honours

2019/20 Conference South Champions

2020/21 Conference National Runners-up (Lost in Play-off Final)

It's been really good to properly read updates from so many diverse clubs. The level of detail in some of them is outstanding. 

@goonergez Dulwich, the king of the near misses, but I love how enthusiastic you are with every club you manage and I always enjoy reading your stories and thoughts

@CityAndColour Hungerford, good to see you back with the minnows of West Berkshire and that's a cracking start for you

@andy_gtfc Grimsby, I will very much enjoy that for obvious reasons and I like your analysis of the squad 

@oakesypvfc Port Vale, on track for a very good season hopefully

@Dong21 Bolton, such descriptive posts and doing a cracking job there with some added competition between you and @nextqprmanager 

and then there is Boston & Walsall too....

Great stuff everyone.

1536326245_DulwichHamletCrest.jpg.db7885c394e766d52c42879fc03f1aeb.jpg

Dulwich Hamlet 2021/22 Preview

The majority of last season was a success, as we quickly banished fears of relegation and pushed instead for a season gunning for promotion. We did fall short in the end, but spent much of the season atop the league table. Losing in the play-off final was devastating, but looking back we can be proud of what was a superb effort at the first time of asking.

The board increased the weekly wage budget, with the same expectations as last season. They asked us only to avoid the drop, something which we should be well capable of doing. Financially we are in fantastic shape, which I imagine is a big reason as to why the budget was increased. The board aren't interested in the cup competitions, but I would personally like another run. Our efforts over the last couple of seasons have put us in a great financial position, and I am keen to keep the money side of the club growing upwards. The media predicted us an 11th placed finish, and despite last seasons efforts, we're 12-1 with the bookmakers to lift the league title.

Transfer wise we actually had a quiet summer, with the squad already in decent shape. Three went out, and just four in left me happy with our work in the market. Dipo Akinyemi failed to score a league goal last season, and didn't impress enough when called upon. He wasn't offered a new contract. Midfielder David Ijaha was no more than a fringe member of our squad last season, and he was released at the end of his contract as well.

Our final departure was devastating, but good business for the club nonetheless. Winger Dilan Markanday was our best performer and top goal scorer last season with 5 league goals. Add to that 8 assists during an ever present campaign, and he was mightily impressive. Football league cubs came sniffing around him though, and his head was turned. We were kind of forced into selling, and Championship side Portsmouth paid us £100,000 for his services. I managed to get a 30% sell on clause included in the deal, so hopefully we will get a big pay out at some point as well. It was gutting to lose a key player, but great to bring in a very decent sum of money for him

Arrival wise I focused on quality over quantity, and tried to limit spending excessively on wages too. I didn't see much room to improve the squad, but did manage to fill the gaps for the areas I did identify. 31-year old right back Tom Miller was first to arrive. He's had spells with Bury, Carlisle United and Lincoln City in the football league, and his experience will slot straight into our defensive line. Right back was probably our main weakness, so I was delighted to get him into the club. The sale of Markanday reduced our options on the wings, and so we moved to bring in two new wingers, both on free transfers. Firstly was 22-year old Dexter Walters after his release from Coventry City.

1430544314_DexterWalker.thumb.png.eabbd81d0572ef0ee03f27a01033d84e.png

I'm really pleased to have completed this deal. He looks an exciting prospect. Although I don't see him chipping in with as many goals as Markanday did, I am really looking forward to seeing what he can offer us. As backup we also picked up 18-year old Romanian Marco Rus after his release by Southampton. He's raw, but exciting, and will get plenty of opportunities in the cup competitions for sure. Finally I felt we needed a new backup goalkeeper. West Ham released 18-year old Joshua Roache and we picked him up shortly afterwards. Luka Nakov has been so good for us during my time here that we haven't used Charlie Grainger at all. Roache looks better than him already, and potentially could go on to be even better than our Macedonian number one. Like Rus he can expect plenty of game time in the cup competitions, and we've tied him to a very cheap two year contract with us.

I am pleased with our summer activities, and feel we're well equipped for a good campaign. I'm not sure that we are capable of matching last seasons efforts, but we will have a damn good go. Off the field the club is in great shape, and I am keen to keep improving on that front as well. I previously said I was happy to consolidate within this division, but I want out. Hopefully we can push on and finish high enough to at least have another shot at the play-offs. Only time will tell if we can do this.

Grimsby Town FC 19/20 Season:

I have managed to get my season finished and very surprisingly, I achieved 1st in the League! It's been an unbelieveable season, considering we have the 20th biggest budget in the league, we managed to achieve the following:

League Two: 1st Place

FA Cup: Third Round, losing to Man Utd.

Carabao Cup: Third Round, losing to Aston Villa.

Leasing.com Trophy: Quarter Finals, losing to Tranmere.

Here is the analysis...

Goalkeepers:

James McKeown. Played: 52. Conceded: 37. Clean Sheets: 28. Contract Expires: 30/6/2022

A fantastic season for him, keeping a clean sheet in better than every other game. Swansea came in with a bid in late January, but it was swiftly rejected.

Sam Russell. Played: 6. Conceded: 6. Clean Sheets: 2. Contract Expires: 30/6/2020

Not really played, with his appearances only being in the  Trophy. Will be leaving at the end of the season.

Scott Read. Played 0. Contract Expires: 30/6/2020.

A new signing in January and is highly rated. In limbo whether to keep him for next season as my number two.

Defenders:

Luke Waterfall: Played: 46(2). Goals: 4. Assists: 0. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

A stalwart in defence for me. Really happy with how he's been this season and will no doubt be useful next season.

Harry Davis: Played: 9(1). Goals: 0. Assists: 0. Contract Expires: 30/6/2020.

I didn't deny him the move I said when Shrewsbury came in with an offer. I managed to get 60k for him.

Mattie Pollock: Played: 41(1). Goals: 2. Assists: 0. Contract Expires: 30/6/2023.

Another one that has been immense for me this season. Another first choice. Looking forward to see how he develops.

Ludvig Ohman: Played: 18(1). Goals 1. Assists 1. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

Moved into third choice centre half when Harry Davis departed. Steady back up for next season, but is wanted by MK Dons.

Anthony Glennon: Played 14(1). Goals 0. Assists 2. Loan Expires: 30/6/2020.

On loan from Burnley and provided solid back up for me when Garmston was injured. Won't be getting him back for next season as this is an area I will improve.

Luke Hendrie: Played 46(1). Goals: 1. Assists: 8. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

First choice right back, solid and dependable all season. 

Bradley Garmston: Played: 43. Goals: 2. Assists: 3. Contract Expires: 30/6/2022.

Wasn't sure if I would keep him at the end of the season in January, but he impressed me. As we can see, he was given a new deal and will be with us for another couple of years.

Elliot Hewitt: Played 13(23). Goals: 0. Assists: 0. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

Was dependable when called upon. Will provide versatility next season.

Oliver Casey: Played 2. Goals: 0. Assists: 0. Loan Expires: 30/6/2020.

Came in on loan from Leeds in January to be a fourth centre half. Didn't play much and seemed to be injured quite a bit with "niggles".

Midfielders:

Jake Hessenthaler: Played: 48(3). Goals: 2. Assists: 4. Contract Expires: 30/6/2022.

I did as my wish and extended his deal. One of my better central midfielders and will be very useful next season.

Elliot Whitehouse: Played: 10(5). Goals: 1. Assists: 1. Contract Expires: 30/6/2020.

Very average season for him. Mainly used when I had no-one else due to injuries. Will be gone at the end of the season.

Harry Clifton: Played: 48(3). Goals: 2. Assists: 6. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

A very dependable season. Happy with his progress.

Elliot Grandin: Played: 31(8). Goals: 11. Assists: 10. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

Had a great start to the season, and then received an injury for 3 months just in January. Managed to get his contract extended for another season.

Josh Benson: Played: 24(22). Goals: 2. Assists: 4. Loan Expires: 30/6/2020.

Started with high hopes, but they dwindled throughout the season. Will be looking to replace for next season.

Jordan Cook: Played 4(3). Goals: 0. Assists: 1. Contract Expires: 30/6/2020.

Was probably the player that didn't fit in my formation, playing as six choice central midfielder. Was happy to move him on in January when Southend came in with a loan offer for the season and picked up his wages.

Ethan Galbraith: Played 11(4). Goals: 2. Assists: 1. Loan Expires: 30/6/2020.

I needed another central midfielder to replace Cook, and he was my choice. Played well when asked. Would be interested in another loan.

Wingers:

Max Wright: Played: 30(11). Goals: 11. Assists: 4. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

Started on the bench at the start of the season, but forced his way in. Really happy with his progress, which resulted in a new deal for next season.

James Tilley: Played 32(4). Goals: 8. Assists: 5. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

First choice left winger when he isn't injured. Managed to find the net towards the end of the season too. Hoping he can push on again.

Charles Vernam: Played 16(15). Goals: 1. Assists: 3. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

Probably underperformed this season, but I gave him a new deal because he's versatile and has potential.

Billy Clarke: Played: 34(11). Goals: 4. Assists: 16. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

When he wasn't injured, he was great. Provided 11 assists since the start of January. Given another year.

Strikers:

Matt Green: Played: 3(28). Goals: 7. Assists: 0. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

Mainly appears off the bench for me and seems to get the odd goal. Season tailed off massively. Wouldn't begrudge him a move in the summer.

Ahkeem Rose: Played: 5(17). Goals: 4. Assists: 0. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

Young pro, who took the place of Green.

James Hanson: Played: 52(1). Goals: 24. Assists: 4. Contract Expires: 30/6/2021.

The big man up top is reliable and finds the back of the net when needed! Will hopefully last another season for me.

Grimsby Town FC Honours

2019/20 League Two Champions

Walsall FC Season 4 Review

image.jpeg.386e9e31103d99ae678f07ee68c0bd74.jpeg

I managed to get promotion to the Prem with an automatic promotion spot of being 2nd in the league.

image.thumb.png.1a8ac32ed553bb5bae65ff1b764ac211.png

I also managed to get the highest ever league position for Walsall.

image.thumb.png.c37d2a074ab3d30dd4e7cdc8f36b8e28.png

image.thumb.png.d7670cc0dcd371478e1421b5c33568e9.png

I was mostly 1st or 2nd for most of the season, my team really overperformed. 

image.thumb.png.f0a1b798cabdb1540e05914992412307.png

My main man was a free signing from Sporting CP called Tiago Rodrigues, what a player he is. He scored 25 goals in 47 games, 10 assists, 7 man of the matches and also an average rating of 7.19.

image.thumb.png.b33699ee220ef648a66b2ae088cf79e6.png

My plan is to just do another season with Walsall and then start a new save with another team in the English lower leagues.

47 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Walsall FC Season 4 Review

image.jpeg.386e9e31103d99ae678f07ee68c0bd74.jpeg

I managed to get promotion to the Prem with an automatic promotion spot of being 2nd in the league.

image.thumb.png.1a8ac32ed553bb5bae65ff1b764ac211.png

I also managed to get the highest ever league position for Walsall.

image.thumb.png.c37d2a074ab3d30dd4e7cdc8f36b8e28.png

image.thumb.png.d7670cc0dcd371478e1421b5c33568e9.png

I was mostly 1st or 2nd for most of the season, my team really overperformed. 

image.thumb.png.f0a1b798cabdb1540e05914992412307.png

My main man was a free signing from Sporting CP called Tiago Rodrigues, what a player he is. He scored 25 goals in 47 games, 10 assists, 7 man of the matches and also an average rating of 7.19.

image.thumb.png.b33699ee220ef648a66b2ae088cf79e6.png

My plan is to just do another season with Walsall and then start a new save with another team in the English lower leagues.

I guess you don't really need that Rico Henry sell-on clause after all :D

Think you can bring back Troy Deeney?

1 minute ago, Jean0987654321 said:

I guess you don't really need that Rico Henry sell-on clause after all :D

Think you can bring back Troy Deeney?

Nah Troy Deeney went to Huddersfield in the 3rd season but at that point he was too old to consider bringing in so I left it

image.thumb.png.102c0fe2e472026dea1b679b63327316.png

Rico Henry hasn't done that well and is playing less and less for Brentford now, I am thinking of bringing him in as I need a decent left back.

image.thumb.png.7d2b8d268135040b9f00e1c860322557.png

8 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Nah Troy Deeney went to Huddersfield in the 3rd season but at that point he was too old to consider bringing in so I left it

image.thumb.png.102c0fe2e472026dea1b679b63327316.png

Rico Henry hasn't done that well and is playing less and less for Brentford now, I am thinking of bringing him in as I need a decent left back.

image.thumb.png.7d2b8d268135040b9f00e1c860322557.png

Sometimes in my saves, I enjoy bring some old guys/legends back in the team. Especially if they are good tutors and are content at being a backup player

I brought Clayton back and I brought Aneke back in my Crewe save. :D

Just now, Jean0987654321 said:

Sometimes in my saves, I enjoy bring some old guys/legends back in the team. Especially if they are good tutors and are content at being a backup player

I brought Clayton back and I brought Aneke back in my Crewe save. :D

Yeah good idea, I might bring Deeney in as a coach I think.

I have bought Rico Henry back to Walsall for £6.75m. I will get £1.5m of that back cos of the 20% profit clause.

2 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

is there any teams in the EFL leagues that nobody has done a post in here yet

Plenty of choice in L2. Don't think anyone has done Leyton Orient, Macclesfield, Mansfield, Newport County, Northampton, Scunthorpe or Stevenage yet. In L1 I don't remember anyone taking on Gillingham or Tranmere.

9 minutes ago, warlock said:

Plenty of choice in L2. Don't think anyone has done Leyton Orient, Macclesfield, Mansfield, Newport County, Northampton, Scunthorpe or Stevenage yet. In L1 I don't remember anyone taking on Gillingham or Tranmere.

Some good opitions there. I could do with @Jogo Bonito to give me reasons for managing any of these teams wink wink lol.

Edited by Ronaldo Beckham

January 2020 - Reading, England

1439242726_RFCheader.thumb.jpg.68881f7d3e7ee19831882039a9e4b00d.jpg

When we last reported from Madejski Stadium at the end of November, Roy Race had his side sitting nicely in 6th place and happy to be exceeding all expectations 

Two months later and it's even better news from Berkshire, with Race steering his team to 4th as we write this report at the end of January

The month of December saw him go unbeaten in his six league games, with a 100% home record served up after comfortable home wins over Birmingham, Derby & QPR

The New Year got off to a disappointing start after defeat at promotion-chasing Fulham, but Race's side haven't lost in their last three league outings

On the flip side, you could say that the three draws that followed weren't fantastic Championship results, but two FA Cup wins in the month show that they're still doing OK

The reward for those FA Cup wins is an almost impossible 5th Round tie at Tottenham, but the revenue will at least be a bonus even if the expected exit occurs

1805152989_Reading_Fixtures1.3.thumb.png.a6ed30c2f0b26261ac2fd90320943691.png

Race has made only subtle changes within his 433 system this season, and has adapted well to injury losses with some calm and confident tweaking

The absence of Ejaria (twice), Moore and Yiadom for more than four weeks at a time could have dampened the mood in the camp, but the deputies have all stepped up admirably

And Race can now look forward to the closing months of his inaugural season with half an eye on an unlikely play-off spot (or more)

In player news, there were again no new arrivals in the winter transfer window, with Race displaying two clear tendencies in his tenure so far

The first of those is that he hasn't felt the need to even make an approach for a new player since taking the helm - demonstrating total belief in the core squad he inherited

The second is something that came up as a potential problem in January, when sanctioning the £1.5 million sale of the unused Felipe Araruna to Brentford

On seeing this sale go through, sources within the club have revealed that the squad appealed to Race to strengthen with some new recruits

However Race flexed his managerial muscles and told them that he had talented youngsters around him who would be the beneficiaries

With several contracts & loans ending in the summer, Race looks almost certain to take this approach even further next term and his senior pros are right behind him on that now

As the league table below shows, it's still tight at the top with Brentford, Leeds and Fulham the most fancied for promotion

But Race will be hoping they can stay close enough and see where this free hit of a season takes them

1320899038_RFCprogress1.3.thumb.png.23720386831d3110abfe122a447e204c.png

Edited by Jogo Bonito

13 hours ago, warlock said:

I've done none of these in FM20, but am sure somebody did Tranmere in here a month or two back. I've done Leyton Orient, Mansfield, Newport, Scunthorpe and Gillingham before though.

13 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Some good opitions there. I could do with @Jogo Bonito to give me reasons for managing any of these teams wink wink lol.

Tranmere, Crawley or Northampton could be good. Tranmere will have a battle to stay up and is one I have considered. Crawley have a good squad, but it will be a six-subs challenge. Northampton could be a good one, little love for them in most FM threads since the EFL pages were started. Scunthorpe was one of my very early years memories, they have cool kit colours, and reasonable stadium.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

2 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I've done none of these in FM20, but am sure somebody did Tranmere in here a month or two back. I've done Leyton Orient, Mansfield, Newport, Scunthorpe and Gillingham before though.

Tranmere, Crawley or Northampton could be good. Tranmere will have a battle to stay up and is one I have considered. Crawley have a good squad, but it will be a six-subs challenge. Northampton could be a good one, little love for them in most FM threads since the EFL pages were started. Scunthorpe was one of my very early years memories, they have cool kit colours, a decent stadium, and reasonable stadium.

I think it is between Gillingham and Scunthorpe for me, I am gravitating towards Gillingham for some reason.

Thank you for the advice @Jogo Bonito

Edited by Ronaldo Beckham

1 minute ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I think it is between Gillingham and Scunthorpe for me, I am gravitating towards Gillingham for some reason.

Thank you for the advice @Jogo Bonito

Welcome, I did four or five seasons at Gillingham when I was there years ago (limited myself to signings from the South East and France if I remember correctly). They have a good set-up and some good youth history, decent fan base, and no local competition in Kent. Good luck whoever you take.

Just now, Jogo Bonito said:

Welcome, I did four or five seasons at Gillingham when I was there years ago (limited myself to signings from the South East and France if I remember correctly). They have a good set-up and some good youth history, decent fan base, and no local competition in Kent. Good luck whoever you take.

Yeah I might do the same actually, I wonder how many French players I can have in the squad.

346043455_DulwichHamletCrest.jpg.8ab8b7a370b948b2a32b98c3313a6f86.jpg

Dulwich Hamlet 2021/22 Review

Well the joys of staying in all day during the covid-19 outbreak means another season with this football club has come to an end. At one stage I even managed to convince the missus to do all my team talks as well. What a truly fantastic season it proved to be as well, as my team shocked everybody throughout. Plenty of ups and downs, and unlike last season we didn't tear through the season top of the league table. Having fallen right at the death last season, I was fearful of the same again.

We began the season on top form, stringing together a 14 match unbeaten run, and flying straight to the top of the league table. Cameron Archer was scoring goals for fun, and defensively we were conceding very few. Everything was looking good, and we sat top of the league table. Our first league defeat came on 23/10, as bottom of the league Southport defeated us 0-1. We bounced back with a draw and a couple of victories before form dipped again. Three straight defeats saw our lead at the top cut, and suddenly we sat 2nd. Those three defeats all came against high flying teams and all extremely disappointing. 1-5 away to Dagenham & Redbridge, 1-3 away to Eastleigh and finally a 1-2 at home to Eastleigh.

December saw us win a couple, draw a couple, and suffer a defeat on boxing day. Disappointing as we dominated the game away at Dover Athletic before succumbing to a 0-3 defeat. Suddenly we were off the pace of Eastleigh, and in third four points off of the leaders. Thankfully it was our form from this point which won us the league title. We dropped points in just one match all the way through to mid-march, a draw at home to high flying Dagenham & Redbridge. We climbed ourselves top of the table, and then kept extending our lead. By the time we reached the end of march we sat nine points clear at the top, and excitingly pleading for the end of the season to come.

It didn't though, and we then went five without victory, and four without a goal. Thankfully we bounced back with a victory over Yeovil, before taking on Billericay Town. Our opponents were struggling to avoid the drop, and we knew a win could win us the title if York City in second were to lose. Otherwise we would face an extremely tough game against York City next. Thankfully results went our way. We were 2-0 winners on a day when York City dropped points in a defeat. We were champions with two games remaining. A 0-0 draw away to 2nd placed York was pleasing, before we finished the season with a 2-0 win away at Harrogate. The players and I lifted the trophy, and its two league titles in three seasons here now.

1218833743_FinalTable.thumb.png.03f9c19c6a5ef622d457ed5a6cec1963.png

Darren Oldaker was our standout performer. He was simply fantastic for us, and is unsurprisingly attracting interest from elsewhere. He scored 18 league goals and laid on 14 assists in 43 matches, from central midfield. He won the fans' player of the year award comfortably, and was just sensational all season. Cameron Archer managed 18 goals up-top for us, although 10 of those came in the first 11 fixtures. Backup Enoch Asante scored just once, showing how much we need a true goal scorer. In goal Luka Nakov once again impressed, keeping 19 clean sheets and only conceding 39 goals in his 44 appearances.

335718190_BestXI.thumb.png.83cfe1cec09bd62038fa8dcbf0e89ef9.png

The cup competitions were disastrous this year, and we didn't get the nice cup run I wanted to bring in funds. In the FA Cup my team selection cost us, as a much changed side went down 0-2 away from home to Bath City in the 4th and final qualifying round. In the FA Trophy we blitzed through Woking and Brackley Town 3-0, before crashing out after a 0-1 defeat away to Billericay Town.

2066132081_StadiumExpansion.thumb.png.bac0fdacca01a5f7c325da5ad63f4ee3.png

So that is the big news of our summer really. A lot of money to spend, but it has to be done. The temporary reduction in capacity may hurt us financially for a bit, but also we should pick up more funds once the work is complete. Thankfully we're in decent financial position anyway, as increased attendances have brought in good funds. We've also turned professional as we head into the Football League. That is good news in that we can go to full time training and that, but our weekly wage bill will skyrocket as we offer our players full-time contracts.

My priority for next season is just to stay in the division, and I am sure that will prove very tough. Midfielder Isak Porvaldsson is leaving to join a club in his homeland, and I wasn't willing to break the bank to keep him. We need a new striker though, and somebody who can find the net on a regular enough basis to keep us up. I've signed a new two year contract to stay with the club, and was presented with a new five year plan. The board aren't particularly hopeful and will be happy to just remain in League Two for the entirety of that plan. It's a massive summer coming up, but a very exciting one too.

2019/20 Conference National Champions

Fantastic @goonergez and very well deserved. I'm hoping you can ride out this development period when finances will be limited, what with the pro contracts too. On the pitch, Dulwich will be a colourful new addition to the EFL. Good luck for the exciting season ahead.

@andy_gtfc congratulations on taking Grimsby to the title and I hope you enjoy your return to League 1. Up The Mariners 😎

Edited by Jogo Bonito

Quite a dilemma, my tactic includes both BBM and Shadow Striker. My question is, how should I/would you train this guy? BBM or SS? He's a natural BBM but clearly capable of playing SS, but not sure where he would develop better.

coly.png

Gillingham Season 1 Preview

image.jpeg.f3e02b19a72b27449f52052d212455b3.jpeg

I went and started a new save with Gilingham last night, I have got as far as getting players and staff in and whizzing through pre-season. I am surprised at how good Gillingham look with some decent young players.

GK's

Jack Bonham is your best Goalie in the squad, followed by Karlo Ziger who I got on loan from Chelsea and then I have a 4 star potential youth goalie called Joe Walsh. Joe Walsh will definitely be my long term Number 1 in time.

Jack Bonham

image.thumb.png.b4918ed0f9fbb85a9b10be73a22e8928.pngJ

Joe Walsh

image.thumb.png.73638ad19bbb5f5bc1f9d7070cac4b31.png

Defenders

On the left side of my defense my options are Thomas O'Connor who is on loan from Southampton who looks decent.  I also have Connor Ogilvie who was a free transfer signing from Tottenham. I also signed French left back Moussa Niakate.

Thomas O'Connor

image.thumb.png.355866f7042f259fa945a82463c429f3.png

Connor Ogilivie

image.thumb.png.4bb94491c1512d38c47bd3012e150081.png

Moussa Niakate

image.thumb.png.32a1549423d9d74d0704af45fe7aa7ab.png

On the right side of defense I need to eventually strengthen but for now I have experienced right back Barry Fuller who may be 34 years old but he has good workrate, good at tackling and is brave which is needed in the lower leagues. Other then Fuller I have Jack Tucker who is mostly a centre back but can cover as a right back. I have a younger right back called Jimmy Witt who is really not good enough but will be ok as worse case scenerio cover.

Barry Fuller

image.thumb.png.da402f5a4a8d0916df9b9840a9c75804.png

Jack Tucker

image.thumb.png.139bab963e44c65d1e22198d18b6a133.png

Jimmy Witt

image.thumb.png.e48c6bd9f2d183dceefcef7de087c35a.png

In centre of defense other then Jack Tucker who I have already mentioned I have a few options. I have Alfie Jones on loan from Southampton who is really good for this level. I also managed to pull a transfer coup and sign someone I know from experiences in my Walsall save, his name is Ibrahima Cisse, I managed to get him on a free despite interest from Championship teams like Reading, Wigan and Millwall. Cisse plays as a DM as well as a DC. Max Ehmer is also here but he is good enough to play for a Championship team so I expect teams to start look at him especially as he is only 27. 

Alfie Jones

image.thumb.png.b867dcf313f57a4bedc517aa163cdc68.png

Ibrahima Cisse

image.thumb.png.a950aeea9f5ecd7cca2d0c5110d74ef3.png

Max Ehmer

image.thumb.png.123108be8eb082e6e81a9a128a3d596f.png

Midfielders

In the centre of midfield I have some decent options. I have Matthew Wilcock who is a good player who didn't get a chance at Man Utd. His brother Joe plays for Arsenal and his other brother Chris signed by Benfica and currently on loan at Huddersfield. A good football pedigree in their family.

Former Palace and Cardiff midfielder Stuart O'Keefe adds valuable experience to a young team. He has good work rate and teamwork but has high aggression so I expect him to get a few cards this season.

I also have Mark Byne who is 30 and has decent overall attributes. Nothing major stands out with him but he will steady the ship in midfield when need be.

Olly Lee who is on loan from Hearts is a decent AMC with decent all round attritubes, similar to Mark Byrne he has nothing that stands out and I wont be renewing his loan.

Matthew Wilcock

image.thumb.png.6f71789acf411018e70b9b82ce2e15f1.png

Stuart O'Keefe

image.thumb.png.e1b79f7e210831d3e06a444dde14e66b.png

Mark Byrne

image.thumb.png.90e6f41fdc4cd42120f527daf9834bc2.png

Olly Lee

image.thumb.png.a6941dffc2dc2454381ce96bee1ad656.png

On the left side of midfield I don't have many options and that will need to be strengthened in time. I have Jordan Roberts on loan from Ipswich who is a decent winger and will hopefully be a good contributer to goals and assists.

I also have Ben Allen as an alternative but he isn't good enough if I am honest.

Jordan Roberts

image.thumb.png.e5329b998de09d91671f12db1cedfdb3.png

I have to do this in 2 sections as it will only let me post a certain amount of screenshots so bare with us for part 2.

Gillingham Season 1 Preview Part 2

Brandon Hanlan who is usually a striker but can play on the right wing and cos of my lack of options he will have to play on the right wing.

Brandon Hanlan

https://imgur.com/ws9AX0u

Forwards

I have a few options up front with Finnish striker Mikael Mandron who Gillingham signed from local rivals Colchester on a free.

https://imgur.com/UmlHnwy

I also have John Akinde who has done well for clubs like Barnet and Lincoln. Let's see how he does for Gillingham.

https://imgur.com/nBjns4i

Sorry the 2nd part wasn't as good as the first part but it wouldn't let me post anymore screenshots. I didn't realize there was a limit in here.

I have my first game coming up. I will post a Mid Season Update later on tonight or tomorrow.

Gillingham Season 1 Mid Season Update

I am currently top of League 1, with 52 points from 24 games. 

image.thumb.png.907ae70f5e916228a94bb129ceceb177.png

Mikael Mandron is banging them in for me for with 15 goals so far.

image.thumb.png.37bbbc77edefe32112b0db3a13f17c85.png

Thomas O'Connor is another stand out player for me with the best overal average rating of 7.46 and has 3 goals and 10 assists so far which is really good considering he is my left back.

image.thumb.png.511ca90a16a54df300fa714524a65575.png

Ibrahima Cisse has also done well for me, very consistent but he don't off love to get booked with 12 yellow cards and 1 red card so far.

image.thumb.png.005dfc08fba0d175fc452e6ae8d94af3.png

This is my usual tactic.

image.thumb.png.4ad6d8b55881915e738f8111daf91fa9.png

I will do another update once I have finished the season.

Bolton Wanderers - Season 3 - Part 3

Achieving Aspirations

1537566010_Schedule1.thumb.png.2387f51ed7b228307a63d59d0a5d965e.png

We had ended October with a win, so it was pleasing to build upon that with a victory against the notoriously tough Burnley. We then lost to the second best team in the league, this season, Stoke and then suffered our biggest loss of the season, a 3-1 defeat away at Derby. We rounded out the month with a huge victory in the Derby against Blackburn. Two wins and two losses out of four was the sort of form that would help us achieve our mid-table aspirations.

I was particularly pleased that Eddie Brown extended his run of goal scoring to three is a row, when we drew with Wigan at the start of December. We had good wins against strugglers Middlesbrough and Millwall, but were disappointing over the Christmas period. Stuperavic continued to step up and get the goals when it mattered.

654855477_Schedule2.thumb.png.2a5210c1ad4d3700b132c90b4e8e48a4.png

January really couldn't have gone much better, with six wins out of seven. Two of these victories came in the FA Cup, meaning we face Fulham in the 5th Round in March. What made these wins even more impressive was that they came against top quality opposition. Crystal Palace were 2nd when we beat them, Fulham were 5th and West Brom were 3rd. Additionally, these were not scrappy wins, they were well deserved. This is well illustrated by the fact Palmer's goal against West Brom won goal of the month, and one of Fofana's against Oxford came 2nd in the competition. It was a shame to lose to Sheff Utd at the end of the month, but you can't win them all.

One disappointment was that CB Remi Streete was ruled out for 7 months in mid-January, however this created an opportunity for Bailey Wright to come back into the team and he has performed well so far. Incoming and outgoings were surprisingly minimal for me. I had agreed to sell my goalkeeper Maric to Cincinnati for £1.5m (the money was too good to turn down), which would have forced me to do some wheeling and dealing, however he rejected the terms they offered. I sold squad players Dominic Samuel (Luton, £160k) and Chris Fuhrich (Hammerby, £275k) as they simply weren't getting any game time. The only significant arrival was left back Marlon on a free transfer from Fluminense. The deal for the attacking full back was struck back in November and he arrived on January 1st when his contract expired. I am already well stocked at left back with Williams and Boon, however I don't expect United will let me keep Williams forever, so I am thinking long-term. In the meantime, Williams can also play RB and Boon can play CB, so I have a lot of options. The only other transfer was driven by necessity but moreso due to novelty factor. After selling striker Samuel, other forwards Brown and Fernandez got injuries that would rule them out for a couple of weeks, meaning Stuperavic was my only fit striker. I searched around cheap options and decided to bring in the legendary Andre-Pierre Gignac on a 5 month contract. He plans to retire later in the year and demanded little wages, so it seemed a no brainer to add depth to the squad. 

Table.thumb.png.d85335223c6c8084f9697bbe963f711b.png

With effectively two thirds of the season complete, we are exceeding expectations by sitting 11th in the Championship table. We are only 5 points away from the Playoffs (although even I think that would be a stretch to far) and equally satisfyingly we are 16 points ahead of the relegation zone. I recently had a news item that stated we had fallen to 23rd in the league for wage expenditure, to put into context the financial situation I am operating in. Interestingly the club information page states that we are in the midst of a board takeover, so I will be interested to see how that pans out.

Bolton 2nd Season.

I had a bad run last night, same Tactic, my best players` = 1 win in 5, you all know [ I think it`s called FM`ed? ].

Just dropped out of the Play-offs. I brought in Foso-Mensah on loan - injured in 1st Training Session, out for 6 weeks!.

I need to re-group / get back on track, since I need to make the Play-offs, with being in debt & exceeding the wage budget!.

I tried to Loan / sell players, put out 5 on loan including Brown ( who is frustrating for me, I know he works for some ), but not much of a dent in the wage budget.

If I don`t get Promotion, probably get the sack?. We`ve got Liverpool in 3 weeks in the FA Cup, so maybe get some money?.

Oh yes & thought, cash i those 2 small Transfer Clauses, I didn`t realise you had to do it within the Transfer window!.

oh hum ................

684369101_DulwichHamletCrest.jpg.51debb802259381f1d8ee0f6cf8cc4fa.jpg

Dulwich Hamlet: 2022/23 Preview

Promotion into the Football League feels absolutely fantastic, but leaves us with a fresh challenge. Our reputation is weak for this level, and attracting players of quality seemed a lot more challenging than it was within non-league competitions. Our squad may have been strong for the Conference National, but it certainly looked to be lacking for this level. Financially we're not superbly equipped, especially having had to fork out £2,000,000 to increase the seating capacity at Champion Hill. We aren't in difficulty by any means, but I am determined to keep spending and our wage budget down to keep us heading in a positive financial direction.

Unsurprisingly we are expected to struggle, and for the first time I am expecting a difficult season at the helm. Our weekly wage budget was significantly increased by the board here, but a lot of that increase was eaten up when offering contracts to existing players. The turn to professional meaning we need to sign our original players to new full time contracts. This season really is all about ensuring we can remain in the Football League and I am expecting little more than that. The media are predicting us to finish rock bottom of the league, and we're a severe long shot with the bookmakers at 50-1 to go and win the league title.

Departure wise there weren't too many, as having a decent sized squad could prove important for us. Isak Porvaldsson left to return to his homeland, after two solid campaigns with us. Right back Tom Miller was released after a disappointing one season spell, and Enoch Asante was also released. Striker Asante was woeful for us, scoring just four league goals across two seasons here. Defender Quade Taylor was a regular during my first season here, but left after two seasons on the fringes of our squad.

We didn't make many moves in the market either, as I looked to keep our wage expenditure under some level of control. As I already said, we had to increase our existing wage bill with the move to professional and I didn't want to do damage to our finances. For that reason I didn't want us to lose control, and so we limited our transfer activity as much as possible. 22-year old right back Isiah Bazeley-Graham was picked up to replace Tom Miller, after he was released by Aston Villa. 24-year old left winger Ellis Iandolo was also signed on a free transfer, after he was released by Swindon Town. He was a player I touted for a bit last season, but after promotion he was willing to talk to us about a contract this time around.

We struggled to find a striker to replace the inconsistent Cameron Archer, so he will remain our number one option for the current campaign. With Asante released we needed more options though, so moved first to the loan market. 21-year old Josh Neufville was signed on a season long loan deal from Luton Town, and should prove decent enough. He won't light the league up, but hopefully he can contribute a few goals. We also paid Leeds United £10,000 for Aaron Pilkington. At 19 he looks promising, and becomes my first cash signing as manager of this club. He's also the clubs first ever cash signing, and so becomes the clubs record transfer. Exciting times for the fans.

284416166_AaronPilkington.thumb.png.d1a790c0dc94997a27aa2889cf86e8df.png

I'm pleased with our summer, but I am also nervous about what is ahead. We really are going to be up against it this season, and for the first time since my arrival I feel like we are going to struggle. We just cannot compete with teams in the football league on a financial or reputational basis. I'd be delighted if we could just stay in the league, and consolidation is really all I am after this time around. We're so much smaller than some of the clubs within this division that it really is going to be difficult. Despite two league titles and a runner up finish in my first three seasons, avoiding relegation this season would certainly be my biggest achievement to date. I'm excited but boy am I nervous as well.

2021/22 Conference National Champions

Gillingham Season 1 Review

Guess who got promoted, Gillingham did lol.

image.thumb.png.944e267ec45dd1d04515137fb265d675.png

I ended up 2nd in the league, 5 points behind Champions Oxford.

image.thumb.png.bc2565570ef05a2a4465dfbd6eba54e0.png

Mikael Mandron banged the goals in for me with 23 goals in 43 appearances.

image.thumb.png.7ff8c57892f8aedc0a96457222e37434.png

Thomas O'Connor on loan from Southampton who played as my left back had the average rating with 7.37 average rating, he also got 13 assists and 5 goals and 9 man of the matches. My aim is to keep him on loan for my season in the Championship.

image.thumb.png.0490b43ebbf31cbc11fb300100c81f88.png

@Dong21 Always a good read,  and excellent work there with Bolton. I think there are too many 'potential board takeovers' in the game, but hopefully it won't change anything for you even if it does happen. 

@Ronaldo Beckham Congrats on your latest promotion with Gillingham. I'm sure you can establish them at the higher level. In fact, knowing the speed you go at, you probably already have...

@goonergez Another great update and I really look forward to seeing how you get on in League 2 with Dulwich. Hopefully the new signings can contribute to a satisfactory campaign. I can't even contemplate matching your game-play speed either but...

...I've completed the first season at Reading, and will put a report up here when time permits.