Sports Interactive Community

Fresh board, fresh topic from Johnny Ace :D

Noticing improvements in the ME but there are still plenty of times where I see plat dragged wide unnecessarily

2:05 Badje - has a simple pass, plays long & wide

6:28 Martin - FB(S) shoots from a daft angle 

15:59 Urso - has a simple pass in a threatening area, plays long & wide

18:48 Urso - doesn't consider anywhere else but wide 

25:43 Markic - has a simple pass, plays long & wide

23:37 Urso - with time & space, plays a first touch pass out wide 

30:30 Culina - ample chance to pass to Toukara who's dropped off the backline, passes wide. Seconds later, Milinaro does the same 

46:50 De Falco - plays a long ball wide to a phantom :D

49:41 Urso - ample chance to pass to Toukara, decides to go back on himself & wide 

85:12 Urso - glances forward, thinks "nah" & goes wide 

88:58 Bianchi with a phantom pass 

Viterbese v Ponsacco.pkm

33:17 Urso - Bursts through centrally with Tounkara, rather than play him in with his stronger foot he passes wide on his weaker foot 

45:02 De Giorgi - runs into the channel, in the box, passes wide

46:27 Martin - cuts in on his weaker foot & plays a Hollywood pass over to the opposite flank. Carry on watching that move & you'll notice the central attacker completly ignored as he glues himself to the centre back

47:18 Anatasov - plays a long wide pass with 3 players within 15 yards

This is playing wider, shorter passing, focus through the middle 

Porto d'Ascoli v Viterbese.pkm

Same match, different PKM

Untitled.thumb.png.c777b7cbd5af1d62bc952206305be0fc.png

1:39 Sokratis - with a random long punt with options right in front of him

3:50 plays just clogs up 

8:15 Ceballos - in acres, doesn't look forward/ isn't aware of Lacazette who's looking to drop off

61:03 plays clogs up, the forwards are narrow & standing about 

62:30 Luiz - fantastic run out of defence at 62:34 he holds it up & passes back to Chambers

63:33 to 64:40 plays clogs up, forwards not looking lively

65:48 - play clogs up 

75:02 - plays clogs up again with the forwards not offering themselves  

Southampton v Arsenal.pkm

Hey,

I should start this post with a positive note - the ME is in a decent state considering how early we're into the game and I feel further tweaks can improve it a lot.

-------------------

I'm also going to mention something before we look at the analysis. In my current tactic which is the Control Possession preset it feels like my two supporting wingbacks are so attacking that at times it feels like I'm playing attacking wingbacks. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but nowadays it seems to be a bit less distinction between support and attack duties in the final third. Might be wrong I don't know. I'll further test this to see how true it is.

Oh and this PKM comes from playing FM20 Demo so I think it took SI a few extra days until they updated it with the latest ME and fixed that attributes bug.

--------------------

Anyway.

PkjfkHQ.png

11:36 - Ndombele takes a shot instead of a through ball to Kane. I think this is a very good example of the lack of through balls.

JvPRzP0.png

33:11 - I'd say it's a fair example of a player preferring to pass it out wide than centrally despite the wide pass being more risky.

[No pic here]

38:45 - It's FM20 and the players still make pointless headers like this when he's in absolutely no danger here. Why this still happens I don't know.

92OaXpn.png

40:40 - Lo Celso prefers a pass out wide despite Kane being completely free and within a few yards.

TIyZQqw.png

49:09 - This one could be down to the player's attributes but I believe there are some dubious decisions taken by the players at times. I am not going to highlight them all, just giving you an example like this where Ndombele has short passing options but he decides to play a more difficult pass for absolutely no reason.

KP89KQa.png

65:07 - Ok initially I thought I shouldn't mark this as it could be the player's attributes in play but I see situations like these too often not to flag it, from different players too. I understand that Aurier's in more space out wide, but Lucas' is a good/more dangerous option.

Another example of that

JOoT4jt.png

44:11 - Winks prefers a pass out wide despite Lo Celso being free and within a few yards. You could argue that Lo Celso passing lane is closed but so is Moura's.

Ok for the next analysis (if there will be any) I'm going to highlight only the very obvious because analysing the whole game is taking a lot of time and it's not my job to do that.

Player Stats

A5QO8Eb.png

My striker (Kane) has received only 10 passes in 90 minutes. :lol:

Just checked the other three games I've played and Kane has received 15 passes v West Ham (A), 5 (!!!!) v Leicester (H) and 11 v Aston Villa (A). I don't know what's the average number of passes a striker receives (maybe @Svenc can help us with some stats) but that's awfully low for a DLF-A imo.

Tottenham v Brighton.pkm

Edited by Armistice

In order to alleviate the bad angle shooting from wingers, you have to manually set their player instructions to cross early, cross often, shoot less often, run WIDE.   It doesn't fix it, but it helps it.

Good post @Armistice ....the play at 11:36 Ndombele drives me insane.  On my Man Utd squad, I regularly see Rashford try to take shots instead of through balls to Martial.  Or even Greenwood or Lingard will take shots when they don't really have a good shot, but if they passed it, it would be an easy goal.

Happens quite alot.

Edited by extremeskins04

3 minutes ago, extremeskins04 said:

In order to alleviate the bad angle shooting from wingers, you have to manually set their player instructions to cross early, cross often, shoot less often, run WIDE.   It doesn't fix it, but it helps it.

Good post @Armistice ....the play at 11:36 Ndombele drives me insane.  On my Man Utd squad, I regularly see Rashford try to take shots instead of through balls to Martial.  Or even Greenwood or Lingard will take shots when they don't really have a good shot, but if they passed it, it would be an easy goal.

Happens quite alot.

Would be good if you could post PKMs with timestamps in this topic so we can provide as much data as we cam.

1 hour ago, Armistice said:

Would be good if you could post PKMs with timestamps in this topic so we can provide as much data as we cam.

I'll work on that tonight when i get home from work.

Try same 4-3-1-2 (that I use myself as well) with Defensive Wingbacks, they still go up in the final third but I'm seeing less passes to wings and more central play. Not that we should use defensive wingbacks with balanced mentality but... it works.

I think part of the problem is that wingbacks/fullbacks are in general too aggressive in FM20. 

The fact that there are several offsides by wingbacks per game should tell us that something is wrong as it’s not usual in real games at all.

Edited by Icy

Untitled.thumb.png.6a2d9c93b9c507a0b8bc0ba5c205c48f.png

3:33 Azpillicueta could easily slip one inside, instead runs cross field & plays a long punt wide

6:45 Hudson-Odoi cuts inside, plays it far side

8:45 Azpillicueta runs cross field & plays a long punt wide

12:15 Koke with time & space, boots it wide with a one touch pass

17:14 Koke again, could play a first touch pass forward here, instead dwells on the ball & goes wide

25:58 Azpillicueta again

37:59 Great run from Hudson Odei, Muller finds space, passes back to Costa. When he makes the pass he's looking at Muller so how he manages to find Costa?

39:45 Costa with a run down the right, fails to pick out the central pass. Instead keeps running & crosses to Hudson-Odoi 

46:06 Vidal goes long & wide, but this is typical, look at that in front of him. Both Muller & Costa can't see that pass coming & make themselves available?  

48:28 After great play out from the back, Costa boots it long & wide

50:21 Koke with Vidal in acres to his right, plays it wide to the left. Gets it back & punts it long & wide to the right 

90:03 Hudson-Odeoi  runs cross field & plays a long punt wide

Just messing about v Derby.pkm