Sports Interactive Community

Just started up two new saves. in both I did a 4-4-2 with the Geggenpressing preset style. In both saves im top of the league and setting defensive records. the two teams are Grimsby and Weymouth. Anyone else having luck this year? seems to be the way to go yet again.

How does it seem to be the way to go if you haven't tried anything else?  By all means use it if that's what you enjoy :thup:.

(btw last year I was having plenty of luck not using a gegenpress).

And having plenty of "luck" this year as well with not only no gegenpress, but having pressing set dead center for mentality...

4 hours ago, herne79 said:

How does it seem to be the way to go if you haven't tried anything else?  By all means use it if that's what you enjoy :thup:.

I have tried plenty, and it seems so far that the Geggenpress works best. I tried Catenaccio and Wing-Play in other saves, but this works best so far.

8 hours ago, BasedDarrenMoore said:

I have tried plenty, and it seems so far that the Geggenpress works best. I tried Catenaccio and Wing-Play in other saves, but this works best so far.

Well of course it will be better scoring than catenaccio. That's a very defensive strategy. And wingplay is very reliant on wingers which is not always as reliable as playing through the middle like gegenpress.

I think people find gegenpress easy to get working because it is one of the easiest ways to set up to get goals. Press, win the ball back in transition, counter, score. There is little the user has to do other than set counter pressing and perhaps higher pressing. The players do the rest. This is not a slight on you, OP, I am just making an observation.

Contrast it to something like patiently demolishing a parked bus, which users frequently have issues with (hell, even I have issues with this and I am getting pretty good at this stuff now).  There you have to set something more complex (both in terms of ideas, roles/duties, TIs/PIs and actual implementation). Same goes for most other ways of playing. Wing play requires you make and use space. Defensive counter attacking requires to set up well in defense but able to jump on any chance. Catenacchio requires you to enjoy being bored watching FM.

I wonder if this is partly behind why people find genepress overpowered and easy to use. I mean, it is hardly as though I cannot get around an AI gegenpress, so it is not core gameplay. Another factor is that the AI does not adapt its approach as well to counter the user.

What role do you use for the striker I´m using a PF/A but hes not involved as much as I want and behind him AM/A with inverted wingers.

On 20/11/2019 at 00:51, herne79 said:

Gegenpress is really OP. In FM2019, it was broken,  so I hoped that it was fixed in FM20.

I started a career with Milan (with Gegenpress) and 2 times champion in a row with +90 points, and always I have the ball. Even when I play with 3-4 youngsters, i keep on winning. 

My 2 CM's Kessie and Pacquata scored 15-20 worldclass screamers..

I play Gegenpress and am undefeated... I even have banged the hottest chicks in school and got straight A's.... SO OP.... Thank you Gegenpress for my success in life!

Nobody said other tactics doesn’t work. Gegenpress is simply OP is what he’s saying... it produces crazy results. Of course you can do well with other styles of football, again, that is not what he is saying

simply saying gegenpress is OP. Think people should try and understand what he’s saying before answering. Gegenpress is the way to go, there’s no doubt about it. I had Noble (slow as hell) and Fornals (work rate of 8) dominating midfields, winning so many tackles and covering ground

just like in previous FMs, certain formations are the way to go. Last year it was 442, year before that was 433 (with 3 STs), again, not saying other formations didn’t work, but these seem to be the way to go because it brought a lot of success, wether your players were great or not. Or suited for the tactic. 

Play Gegenpress against Liverpool or Man City and you'll get destroyed unless you change your ways mid-game.

Gegenpress does not do well against teams that are physical, faster and more dominant.  They'll counter attack you until you get on your knees and beg for mercy.

Edited by extremeskins04

26 minutes ago, extremeskins04 said:

Play Gegenpress against Liverpool or Man City and you'll get destroyed unless you change your ways mid-game.

Gegenpress does not do well against teams that are physical, faster and more dominant.  They'll counter attack you until you get on your knees and beg for mercy.

well thats false. i've uploaded tactics using gegenpress, arguably, you get better results against them because their more open....in a season, i'm prone to losing big against them, but also can win big against them...i just beat LFC 4-1 with Watford 1st season

4 minutes ago, RDF Tactics said:

well thats false. i've uploaded tactics using gegenpress, arguably, you get better results against them because their more open....in a season, i'm prone to losing big against them, but also can win big against them...i just beat LFC 4-1 with Watford 1st season

Uploaded where?  Can i see?

On 20/11/2019 at 17:01, extremeskins04 said:

I was doing the 4-2-3-1 Gegenpress.  Is 4-4-2 better?

Speaking specifically about the gegenpress tactical style, both 4231 and 4123 (i.e. 4141dm wide) are better suited to GP than a 442. 

41 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Speaking specifically about the gegenpress tactical style, both 4231 and 4123 (i.e. 4141dm wide) are better suited to GP than a 442. 

I mean honestly Gegenpressing it just really two things, correct me if i'm wrong.

1. Counter pressing when you lose possession to regain instead of regrouping.

2. Fast attacking high paced football.

I mean unless you're regrouping and playing slower tempo, you're really gegenpressing with any style.

I have found that against good teams, gegenpressing is suicide.  Against mid to weaker teams it destroys them.

I have played against Man City and Liverpool with Man Utd squads and using high pressure, countering after lost possession, fast paced pressing has been a death sentence in most cases.  

Edited by extremeskins04

15 hours ago, extremeskins04 said:

I mean honestly Gegenpressing it just really two things, correct me if i'm wrong.

1. Counter pressing when you lose possession to regain instead of regrouping.

2. Fast attacking high paced football

No doubt that counter-press and fast attacking play are integral parts of any gegenpress style, but so is a very aggressive manner of defending in general (very high DL and LOE, high pressing urgency and a high-risk mentality). Now, you can play a gegen-pressing style by using the GP preset tactic or you can create your own version of GP to adapt it to your team.

I mean unless you're regrouping and playing slower tempo, you're really gegenpressing with any style

Not really. There are a number of tactical styles that neither use regroup nor slow tempo, but are nevertheless far from gegenpress i terms of playing style. 

I have found that against good teams, gegenpressing is suicide.  Against mid to weaker teams it destroys them

Probably yes, but I cannot confirm that myself because I have never played a gegenpress-based style. I simply don't like it. 

I just had a really depressing tour over the tactics download section and the careers forum. Almost every single successful tactic uses high lines, urgent pressing and counter-press. Is that merely a coincidence? I don't think so.

The real challenge of this game is NOT to come up with a well thought out, sensible tactic that emphasises your team's strenghts and hides its weaknesses. No, the real challenge is to somehow create something without those very familiar out of possession instructions, knowing very well that you're chasing yourself into major disadvantages. 

Too bad.