Sports Interactive Community
ontiu17

Wide players always shoot when in the penalty area

Same here its so annoying almost gamebreaking... you could get like 4/5 extra clear cut chances but they refuse to switch it! it happens with a lot of teams ive managed :(

This was extremely annoying during the beta, and this along with strikers not scoring one-on-one's led me to stop playing until these issues are fixed. Was hoping it would be released by the full release, but will hold off. Numerous threads were made about this in the Beta bugs forum so SI should have the PKM's they need.

Hi @ontiu17,

For this issue to be valid you will need to upload a PKM with multiple examples.

Please ensure that if you are going to do so, the PKM's you upload have more of this event happening in the Match Engine than in real life.

Thanks,

Josh

Hi @Josh Brimacombe-Wiard

I will try to gather some examples and upload them. As for RL, where would I even look for such stats? The assesment is only based on my intuition and while I do understand that players, especially in lower leagues, will more often look to shoot from those positions, I am pretty sure that once in a while you'd see someone try to pass or cross instead of smashing the ball towards the narrow post. I have literally never seen a situation where that would happen and besides being frustrating the ME becomes a hell lot boring and predictable.

Hi @ontiu17,

If you get these examples together we can review it in the studio.

I understand your frustration, but we in the studio work hard to balance the ME as much as possible, so we will review this carefully if you can provide some PKM & times. If this is happening a few times a game though, it's probably a realistic return.

Cheers,

Josh

5 hours ago, ontiu17 said:

Hi. So something I noticed in the beta and also in today's final release is that players entering the penalty area from wide always shoot even though the chances of scoring are low compared to trying a pass or a cross towards the middle or far post. This applies to all IFs, IWs, Wingers, WBs or FBs. It is particularly annoying as I am playing a narrow counter attacking tactic and when I do manage to get on a good counter most of the chances end up paired or hit the woodwork (most of the shots are aimed at the narrow post).

Anyone noticing this or is it just me?

Hmm, was going to create a topic on this also - You beat me in the run :lol:

Yes, this is definitely an issue - As you say, lots of examples - But here is one clear case:

Lionel Messi - The best in the world; Assist-machine, 19 Vision, 19 Passing, 18 Composure.

Watch the screenshot (Suarez in front of goal must be furious:lol:) and watch the pkm.

image.thumb.png.eb6e4ae7b93094d263a0154db0c694c9.png

Sometimes of course, a player can tend to try his own luck - But you´re absolutely right, happens way too often. Seems it needs a little tweaking.

Hope will be looked into SI :)

Cheers,

Toonrock

Vigo v Barcelona.pkm

Edited by Toonrock

3 hours ago, Toonrock said:

Hmm, was going to create a topic on this also - You beat me in the run :lol:

Yes, this is definitely an issue - As you say, lots of examples - But here is one clear case:

Lionel Messi - The best in the world; Assist-machine, 19 Vision, 19 Passing, 18 Composure.

Watch the screenshot (Suarez in front of goal must be furious:lol:) and watch the pkm.

image.thumb.png.eb6e4ae7b93094d263a0154db0c694c9.png

Sometimes of course, a player can tend to try his own luck - But you´re absolutely right, happens way too often. Seems it needs a little tweaking.

Hope will be looked into SI :)

Cheers,

Toonrock

Vigo v Barcelona.pkm 70.5 kB · 1 download

Thank you for posting this. I'm having this happen as well where the wide players do not center the ball for a tap in. I also play with Barcelona have you had any issues with Messi missing all his penalties? He's made 1 out of his 5 chances so far seems a bit extreme.

I sent three PKMs yesterday via a moderator about this.

Here's the thing, you guys at SI should just fire up a game and use inside forwards/attack, cut inside/shoot more often and WBs with attack instructions and watch the match on comprehensive and you will see this happen over and over. I lose count in a match.

Also, left footed IF on the right side ie Salah, will never, ever take a shot with their strong (left only even) foot, they will drive to the corner of the goal and shoot with weaker foot or they dump it off outside the box killing the move. TAA as wingback does the same thing all the time. For some reason the IF left side player never even gets into the box, he passes before hand 90% of the time, but drives to the end line before entering the box if he tries.

Also no one will cross early, even when set to defend, cross deep and double instructed to cross early, they just keep dribbling all the way to the end line, then do the stop-start stutter step until they run out of space. 

I'm about to take a break for awhile and change my review on Steam because I am not enjoying the matches, and I'm undefeated in the league with the best goal difference by far, but the immersion is gone.

I have the same problems as described. It usually starts by a winger or FB getting the ball down to around the byline where a wonderful pass to an open attacker awaits. Alas, instead the player decides that his 8 in dribbling far outweighs my clear instructions to shoot less and cross more and instead runs straight into a defender who proceeds to hoof the ball 80 yards up the field to an opposing attacker who somehow manages to run past my remaining defenders and somehow manages to miss his open chance with the keeper. Something along those lines :-)

One thing I have begun experimenting with is using two wingers with an AM and no attackers.

It actually makes sense enginewise as a lone striker is mostly ignored by his teammates, thus having none, while using pass into open space and counter-attack, works really well with fast wingers who then will have no objectively good reason for passing the ball to the centre as there is no one there anyway. Instead he will shoot at goal or pass it back, as they usually do to my great frustration anyway, but this time it's what he's supposed to be doing as there will be a fast approaching AM who can actually hit the ball, so it's all good.

It's a kind of self-help therapy until they fix the match engine. Also it's great fun! :-)

Edited by Rayban_DK

Once players enter the box from wide they just switch off their brains and look for the shot any way possible. Very rarely have i seen them passing it to free player in box, that too when they just can't shoot without any defender blocking it.

Edited by witchplease

Do you need more pkms devs or are have you found the source to this issue? 

14 minutes ago, emil_sbn said:

Apparently it's under review going by this thread, unless shooting in side netting is some different problem entirely. 

3 hours ago, tarzanofmars said:

Here's the thing, you guys at SI should just fire up a game and use inside forwards/attack, cut inside/shoot more often and WBs with attack instructions and watch the match on comprehensive and you will see this happen over and over. I lose count in a match.

We do and we have. This is an issue we indentified quickly and are working to better balance. However I think testing under less forced instructions would give a better reflection of the ME.

1 hour ago, emil_sbn said:

We will never be able to play through as many unique scenarios as people playing the game. Literally thousands of people playing using different tactics create new scenarios even if the outcome is the same, the more PKM's we can provide for the Devs to view that more likely we will be able to get a fix.

18 minutes ago, CJ Ramson said:

We do and we have. This is an issue we indentified quickly and are working to better balance. However I think testing under less forced instructions would give a better reflection of the ME.

We will never be able to play through as many unique scenarios as people playing the game. Literally thousands of people playing using different tactics create new scenarios even if the outcome is the same, the more PKM's we can provide for the Devs to view that more likely we will be able to get a fix.

I have the same issue, and it happens more than ten times per game.  However, for me the issue isn´t that the player is shooting rather than passing, the thing is that the players aren´t moving naturally...  When a wide player (IW or IF) is "cutting inside" they usually run parallel to the goal line to get a better angle (think of Messi or Robben).  Here they are usually running directly to the first post.

And their shooting isn´t natural either.  Since they are running directly to the first post, it´s like they are shooting with the tip of their foot, and most of the times with their weak foot...

15 minutes ago, CJ Ramson said:

You could prolong the beta to 4 weeks or more and automatically gather and upload logs and stats from everybody playing it. Not everyone is willing to participate to the debugging process by gathering PKMs and writing descriptions and most people just refuse to play the game.

This has been an ongoing problem with FM - the ME is poor and full of bugs until the post winter patch. After that patch you rarely release any new tweaks and when people complain you always point out to tactics.

It is sad that there is no real competitor on the market for FM as that would push SI to put more effort into such things.

2 hours ago, emil_sbn said:

I don't intend to direct any blame towards developers as I understand how this environment works but SI management should definetly read these forums from time to time and boost up their efforts which year in year out tend to dissapoint.

1 hour ago, CRR said:

I have the same issue, and it happens more than ten times per game.  However, for me the issue isn´t that the player is shooting rather than passing, the thing is that the players aren´t moving naturally...  When a wide player (IW or IF) is "cutting inside" they usually run parallel to the goal line to get a better angle (think of Messi or Robben).  Here they are usually running directly to the first post.

And their shooting isn´t natural either.  Since they are running directly to the first post, it´s like they are shooting with the tip of their foot, and most of the times with their weak foot...

We are aware of all these issues but thank you again for raising them. 

1 hour ago, ontiu17 said:

You could prolong the beta to 4 weeks or more and automatically gather and upload logs and stats from everybody playing it. Not everyone is willing to participate to the debugging process by gathering PKMs and writing descriptions and most people just refuse to play the game.

This has been an ongoing problem with FM - the ME is poor and full of bugs until the post winter patch. After that patch you rarely release any new tweaks and when people complain you always point out to tactics.

It is sad that there is no real competitor on the market for FM as that would push SI to put more effort into such things.

I don't intend to direct any blame towards developers as I understand how this environment works but SI management should definetly read these forums from time to time and boost up their efforts which year in year out tend to dissapoint.

This is a bug forum so unfortunately we need people to provide PKM's as well as leave feedback. Criticism is okay as long as it's constructive.

I can assure you every thread gets read, even if they don't all get a reply. Sorry to hear you're disappointed yearly.

Definitely have this issue. I have added work the ball into the box, it hasn't helped. Is there an hidden attribute that shows how greedy/selfish a player is? 

59 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

Definitely have this issue. I have added work the ball into the box, it hasn't helped. Is there an hidden attribute that shows how greedy/selfish a player is? 

Teamwork.

A lot of negativity in here, the idea is to help the devs solve the problem. I don't think they have a problem with constructive criticism, but the idea is to state your issue, upload a PKM and state the times that the issue occurs. 

I guess this is because center strikers are being ignored.

Just noticed today afer many hours in the same save, players never pass to a single striker. Now change to a 3 striker formation and the outisde striker do get passes but the middle one never!

This and the 1vs1 bug, and the penalty bug still make this game unplayble.

21 hours ago, dominoes012 said:

I also play with Barcelona have you had any issues with Messi missing all his penalties? He's made 1 out of his 5 chances so far seems a bit extreme.

Hi!

Okay seems strange. I´ve seen the exact opposite, he seems to score 4 out of 5 the times he´s given the chance from the spot.

What I´ve seen is players scoring regulary from penalties / a good balance compared to real life.

4 hours ago, Rednitro said:

I guess this is because center strikers are being ignored.

Just noticed today afer many hours in the same save, players never pass to a single striker. Now change to a 3 striker formation and the outisde striker do get passes but the middle one never!

If you believe your strikers are being ignored, starting a thread with PKM examples would be useful.

Also some information on the role being used and formation.

Yes it is so annoying that start to gamebreak.

They go for goal literally on the baseline. Maybe 1 in 10 attempts they cross, and the other 9 they shot. And 0 in 100 shots from that angle they score.

They have more-than-decent teamwork and vision (around 12- 17), given Shoot Less Often instruction. Really don't think it's my problem, is it?

Guys - as has been said by SI in this thread, please dont just report an issue-please include a .pkm of the match with times of the issue so that it can be properly investigated

The problem is so common that it basically appear in every match, which winger is deployed.
Does SI still need a game save to observe and fix it?

3 minutes ago, Ronarch said:

The problem is so common that it basically appear in every match, which winger is deployed.
Does SI still need a game save to observe and fix it?

It has been said numerous times on these forums and this thread itself we would need PKM examples to observe and fix.

We have enough internally now and are very aware of the issue, thanks for the help.

Hi heres one more PKM. happens quite a few times. and at times it looks like the player gets into a position to cross or pass but just forgets hes a player and loses the ball. and also passing into space wasnt selected but the players would just boot the ball forward into space. Hope this helps.

Everton v Chelsea.pkm

On 21/11/2019 at 12:13, CJ Ramson said:

We have enough internally now and are very aware of the issue, thanks for the help.

Thanks for the extra PKM's guys, just bumping this to save some effort for you all

This has been an issue, it seems most common with IW even on support, more shots than crosses.  However, I'd just like to say that while I've been trying to report issues, this has been a fantastic new year on the whole.  The ai and ME has definitely improved and gamelplay on the whole has been very enjoyable.  There's always quirks but great work SI! Much appreciated.

We are very aware of this issue in the studio and have more than enough examples.

Glad to see it’s not a “me” issue, phew. 9 games into my first season and neither of my strikers have scored. My wingers are hogging everything and even though I’m doing well it’s driving me insane.