[FM20] [WIP] New Zealand Football Pyramid

Hi all,

I have ported my fairly comprehensive FM19 NZ league pyramid to FM 20.   

Here's the initial version. This version is fully playable. However, I intend to add a more refined version in the coming days (most likely this weekend):

NZ League System FM 20 v599.fmf

This includes:

• The New Zealand National league
  • The Regional Premier Leagues
    • Central Premier League
    • Mainland Premier League
    • Football South Premier League
    • NRFL Premier Division
  • Regional First Divisions
    • Central Federation Premier League
    • NRFL Division One
    • Nelson Division One
    • Donald Gray Championship
    • Capital Premier League
  • Regional Second Divisions
    • NRFL Division Two
    • Nelson Division Two
    • Presidents Cup
    • Capital First Division
  • Regional Third Divisions
    • AFF/NFF Conference
    • Northland Premier Division
    • WAIBOP Premier Division
    • Nelson Division Three
    • Patrons Cup
    • Capital Second Division
  • Regional Fourth Divisions
    • AFF Championship
    • NFF Division One
    • Northland Division Two
    • WAIBOP Championship
    • Capital Third Division
  • Regional Fifth Divisions
    • AFF Division One
    • NFF Division Two
    • Northland Division Two
    • Bay of Plenty Division One
    • Waikato Division One
    • Capital Fourth Division
  • Regional Sixth Divisions
    • AFF Division Two
    • NFF Division Three
    • Northland Division Three
    • Waikato Division Two
  • Regional Seventh Divisions
    • AFF Division Three
    • NFF Division Four
    • Waikato Division Three
  • Regional Eighth Divisions
    • AFF Division Four
  • Regional Ninth Divisions
    • AFF Division Five
  • Chatham Cup (the NZ FA Cup) 
  • Several regional cup competitions
  • New towns, cities, and regional weather patterns have been added to give the game a more authentic feeling (this will also impact playing as Wellington Phoenix)

I probably won't have time to update the promotion or relegation of the minor regional leagues, but I do intend to update the main divisions, and to add some more competitions (Canterbury and Otago are top of my list).

Edited by DementedHammer

No worries. It's a good way to start the new series and get used to FM before starting a serious save. 

I've made a start on my next round of changes based on experience from playing this save last year. The first change will be to try and make the upper and lower leagues feel a bit different from one another, with a few teams at the top regional leagues allowed to sign part time players, and the top couple of divisions allowed to sign non-contract players for the more important positions within their squads. 

I'll also add some money to the bank balances - every team starting with $0 in the bank wasn't the best of ideas, as it took a season for the first sponsorship money to come through, causing teams to end up in debt. 

Edited by DementedHammer

v594 has now been released.  The main aim of this update is to try and make a more noticeable difference between the top teams in the country and the lower regional divisions.

In particular

• Competition and team reputations have been moved upwards for the top three tiers, to allow for a bigger difference in reputation between the best teams in the country and the rest of the lower reputation regional teams. Note: A-League team reputations were also increased slightly, so that there is still a reasonable reputation gap between Wellington Phoenix (the highest reputation team in NZ) and Auckland City (the next highest reputation team). 
  • Higher reputation regional teams can now sign part time and non contract players.
  • Fixed an issue where all teams in the pyramid could sign players on paid youth contracts. 
  • All teams now have a positive bank balance at the start of the season, rather than starting the game with $0 in the bank and having to wait a season for additional income streams, such as player subscriptions, to come in.

Edited by DementedHammer

You seem to still have the teams in the wrong divisions. North Shore Utd for example won the NRFL Premier division this season and were promoted from the 1st Division end of 2017/18 season.  So all the teams from NZFC down are missing the 2018/19 season and the regional/winter leagues go from Oct to April when they should go from Late March, early April to August.

Edited by Parkera
noted errors

Correct. The teams and leagues are currently just last year's file ported to FM20 with a few playability improvements. I won't have time to update all but the highest divisions this season due to time constraints. (the NRFL divisions will be updated at some point in time thought as they're high enough up the pyramid). 

Regards the OFC qualifications, it worked last year, but I haven't specifically tested it this season. 

@Parkera

I'm presently testing a file that's updated the NRFL premier and first divisions. The second division currently has 15 teams, as it's a non-trivial matter to move the extra teams to their correct divisions — it cascades, as each league's relegated teams also have to be moved, so I'll have to draw the line somewhere.

Edited by DementedHammer

My problem is that the OFC CL seems to either take random teams or whoever is 1st or 2nd in the currnet running league and not qualifying the last two winner and runners up.

I got it semi working with a custom OFC CL but then found that the seeding was making the bottomt 4 teams in OFC qualify over nations like New Caledonia and **** These ar ethe files im working with.

I know maybe some of my issues are coming from using a custom NZ league and not the one in the DB but surely that shouldnt be that much of a issue, if you have discord pop around the sortitoutsi editors room. need mroe Kiwis in there.

Complete OP + Ad-Rules.fmf nuOFC.fmf

15 hours ago, DementedHammer said:

Thanks. I'll take a look at your files when I have a chance.

In the meantime, I've uploaded v599 of the editor file. This has the updated NRFL Premier, and Division One teams.

Ima run a bit of a test on your comps and see if i have the same issue

• 3 months later...
On 26/03/2020 at 12:10, Sangue Blu said:

Cheers mate. And apologies to everybody for the lack of news and updates. It's hard to explain how busy and stressful the past few weeks have been.  

I hope you are all doing okay, and your family and friends are all happy and healthy.

Now that I'm working from home for the foreseeable future, there is a small chance that I might find some time for future updates. I don't want to make any promises though, as I still have a full time job and three university papers to keep on top of. (My university has closed for a month, so hopefully I can get ahead in my study which will give me more free time for updates.)

Yesterday, for the first time in ages, I actually started up FM19, and played a couple of matches of my Clevedon save.

Edited by DementedHammer

On 29/03/2020 at 11:52, DementedHammer said:

Cheers mate. And apologies to everybody for the lack of news and updates. It's hard to explain how busy and stressful the past few weeks have been.  

I hope you are all doing okay, and your family and friends are all happy and healthy.

Now that I'm working from home for the foreseeable future, there is a small chance that I might find some time for future updates. I don't want to make any promises though, as I still have a full time job and three university papers to keep on top of. (My university has closed for a month, so hopefully I can get ahead in my study which will give me more free time for updates.)

Yesterday, for the first time in ages, I actually started up FM19, and played a couple of matches of my Clevedon save.

pleased to hear you are able to work from home at the moment

Bloody incredible job you've done here mate, much better than anything I could do. I'm trying to implement promotion/relegation between NZ championship and regional premier leagues but can't seem to get over the hurdle that is the 'regional' part of the leagues. i.e Tasman keep getting relegated and going up to the northern league instead of the mainland prem, and trying to reshuffle the leagues so that if a team is promoted the league they've left behind isn't imbalanced.  If anyone here has got any ideas for a fix that would be much appreciated.

What I  believe you need to do is add regional boundaries to each league, so that teams will be relegated into the correct region. You'll probably have to add GPS coordinates to the top division teams, and some of the regional Premier teams as I may not have done that for the teams that already existed in the game, but I did do it for all of the new teams

Then, for each regional Premier division, you'll have to change the number of allowed teams max and min values, so that it accepts a range. 

There's probably other stuff that I haven't thought of, but those are the main things as I understand them. 

• 1 month later...

Firstly, I'd like to say thanks for creating this database. Great work.

I've played a few different teams and having a great time. 

I'm always on the lookout for something different or quirky and found it in Nelson College. This is essentially a high school team in a senior league. You can only sign players 18 or under. Once they turn 19, they become ineligible, even if it is mid season. Foreign players will only join at the age of 18, so are one season deals. Since everyone is amateur, you also have to deal with larger clubs poaching players.

There are 6 teams in the Nelson top flight, 15 league games (triple round robin) and 2 knockout cups (one national, one local), making for some quick seasons.

It would suit anyone that enjoys 'youth only' challenges or likes to rebuild a team. You do this basically every season, but if you sign 16yr old New Zealanders you can play and develop them for 3 seasons.

In my long term save, I've moved on to Havelock North. They got taken over by a sugardaddy who pumped 3.5m pounds into the club. They've turned professional (I think the only NZ club other than Wellington Phoenix) and been given a transfer budget of 8m pounds.

This makes it an exciting time to see what happens. Unfortunately they signed 45 average players on large wages before I joined and it's hard to attract any decent players. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Any chance of this excellent database being ported to FM21? I've been using @Timo@'s file in the meantime, which does the job just fine, but isn't as deep or as detailed as yours since it's part of a mega pack and doesn't focus solely on New Zealand. This is the only database that delivers the full New Zealand package, so it would be amazing to have it in FM21. No worries if not, though!