Hi,

I get the following error when trying to start the game.

An error occurred while updating Football Manager 2020 (missing executable):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2020\fm.exe

No antivirus or firewall conflicts. I've tried reinstalling with them switched off.

Thanks.

Same problem for me. Purchased the game, unlocked on Steam all downloaded and installed ok.

I have no cache to delete

Verify the game comes back ok.

There is no exe in the folder as the error message reports. All that is in that folder is a data folder and a specialfolders.xml file

Edited by Gareth Winter

All I got back was this useless message about antivirus, antivirus doesn't really explain the non-existent file

"It seems your Antivir program has detected the games exe file as a virus and quarantine it. This is what is known as a 'false positive' - there is no virus in Football Manager 2020, it is an issue which has occurred with the latest update of your Antivir program.

You need to create and exception for the exe. In how to do so, please get in contact with the support of your Antivir program.

We are sorry for the inconvenience"

3 minutes ago, SamBizzell said:

All I got back was this useless message about antivirus, antivirus doesn't really explain the non-existent file

"It seems your Antivir program has detected the games exe file as a virus and quarantine it. This is what is known as a 'false positive' - there is no virus in Football Manager 2020, it is an issue which has occurred with the latest update of your Antivir program.

You need to create and exception for the exe. In how to do so, please get in contact with the support of your Antivir program.

We are sorry for the inconvenience"

I have no anti virus on my pc so that's wrong as well. just another excuse because they don't know how to fix it! all of us have wasted £40!!!

Also having the same issue. I also received a code directly from SEGA. 

When launching, it says "An error occurred while updating Football Manager 2020 (missing executable): C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2020\fm.exe

When I went to the folder, the fm.exe file is indeed missing. 

I have gone through these steps and none of it worked: Restart Computer, Re-installing the game, Clear Download Cache, Repair Library Folder, Verify Integrity of Game Files, Change Download Region. 

Help :(:(:(

I’m getting the same message have uninstalled steam, re-started my computer, have changed download location and done all the above again with it changed. I have verified the intergrity of game files but still comes up with this message as I load football manager any ideas?! Otherwise I’ve wasted 40 quid.

same i've pretty much tried everything...

ive tried uninstalling,

restarting the computer,

turning anti virus off/on 

clearing cache

verifying the game   and i still get the same message so it has to be from the small download.  

3 minutes ago, ferzkingen said:

good to see im not alone, been sitting in email support back and forth for hours and tried diffrent ways and providing information and they dont seem to have a clue.

same, I don't use support very often, but they make it so hard to find, both here and on steam, it makes the issue even worse as you spend hours trouble shooting and searching for contact information

1 minute ago, Neil Brock said:

Can you all please confirm where you purchased the game and what region/country you're based in?

Also whether it's a boxed copy or a digital one? Thanks.

I purchased the game in France and it's a digital copy.

Okay we're looking into an issue with regards to the keys not being fully unlocked, we believe they should now all be unlocked so if you try again now it should work. 

Apologies for the inconvenience and the false start! 

9 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Right we found a problem with some keys which we've fixed, so would recommend you all try again. You may have to restart Steam, but give it a go and let us know please. 

As in like uninstall and reinstall?