Sports Interactive Community
cianmcc96

game freezes when loading leagues and cups before save starts

Hello

I can't load a new save. I purchased the game a few hours ago and it freezes once i pick the leagues i want playable in advanced settings, specifically at loading cups and leagues. Has anyone else had this issue or know a way to resolve it? i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game and it still does not work. Any help would be appreciated!!

This is not my Image but an image posted by another user with the same issue.

This is exactly where my loading bar freezes as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fm bug.jpeg

I suspect that your graphics card may be below the min spec for the game, but I would certainly start by going to the Intel website and updating the card driver, which is  4 years old

i did a tester and it passed the test for spec and that wouldn't make much sense anyways? The game loads up, allows me to create my avatar etc.  Surely if the graphics card was at fault i couldn't get that far

The same graphics requirements were set for fm19 and I played that without any bother. If you could help me with a resolution it would be very much appreciated seeing as i've spent the full amount to purchase the game.

Annotation 2019-11-19 050418.png

Each version of the game is more graphically intensive, so even if FM 19 ran, does not automatically mean that FM 20 will run, even with the same minimum specs. It should be possible to get the game to run though so did you update the driver as I suggested?

Have you try uninstalling and reinstalling your graphics card as FrazT has suggest?

Let us know how you get on, please. Thanks.

Can you send us your Belearc file to us so we can take a look at your system, please? 

Thanks.

You still have not confirmed that you have uninstalled and reinstalled the graphiics card driver and updated it to the latest version- have you done so and if so please post another dxdiag report so that this can be checked.

are you serious? I have confirmed this in numerous private messages because i haven't been able to comment due to the 24 hours ban for new members. It's been 2 days and NONE of yous have helped me. I've received more advice from player forums rather than the SI staff. I bought the game on Monday and i haven't played it yet. You all keep repeating yourselves and ignoring my messages. I've uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it. Like I have told yous. 

Understand your frustration but please understand we're busy and work from the oldest to newest posts - every time you bump your thread it takes us longer to get to it. 

We made some changes in the full version, just to confirm since that was released (so 20.1.3) have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling FM to see if you can set up a game in this version?

Let us know, thanks. 

I read your comment, uninstalled and reinstalled the game with update 20.1.3. The game still stops at the same point. I have removed antivirus and installed without and still doesn't work. I have went through all your troubleshooting reports on the sega website also to no avail. I have also rerun my fm19 save to see if that works and it works just fine with the same minimum requirement for graphics as fm20. i7 core processor, intel hd graphics 4000 (which stated is above min spec required). I am now attaching the belarc report for the 3rd time in this thread.

*EDIT* also provided dx diag with updated graphics driver

Belarc Advisor - Computer Profile.html

DxDiag updated graphics driver.txt

Edited by cianmcc96
updated graphics driver

is there a reason why i'm being ignored? I see staff members replying to people multiple times in the space of a few minutes? So this talk of working oldest to newest is absolute nonsense. Its coming up to 3 days.

3 hours ago, cianmcc96 said:

is there a reason why i'm being ignored? I see staff members replying to people multiple times in the space of a few minutes? So this talk of working oldest to newest is absolute nonsense. Its coming up to 3 days.

We work from oldest threads upwards so bumping your thread for a response is counter-intuitive, I'm afraid. Neil has already explained that. 

@Neil Brock will advise when he's had chance to take a look at the information you've supplied. Thanks for your patience and understanding. 

It's a strange one as there's nothing obvious with your setup which explains how this could be happening. Your graphics capabilities are very weak, but this process isn't really doing anything graphically so shouldn't make any difference. When we have seen this type of error in the past it's normally caused by a dodgy install and the game can't read the relevant files to setup a game, but given you're using Windows Defender which generally isn't particularly intrusive, this is unlikely. 

Just to confirm, how long have you left the game up 'stuck' in this position? 

Next suggestion here would really be a clean uninstallation of the game followed by a reinstall of Steam. 

First up, uninstall - so manually remove everything from these locations (would suggest backing up any saves first):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2020 - you can remove this completely without issue
C:\Users\Your Windows Username\AppData\Local\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2020 - if you have any saves in your cloud -> games folder back these up first
C:\Users\Your Windows Username\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2020 - again backup any files in your games folder

Once these are all gone, uninstall and reinstall Steam as instructed here (pay particular attention to how to backup any other games if you have them installed via Steam via the 'Important!; section) - https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9609-OBMP-2526

Let us know how you get on. Thanks. 

The longest period of time I have had the issue was Wednesday night when i went to the cinema. I left the laptop on before I left and came back with the issue still there. I would say the longest time stuck is about 2:30 - 3 hours. I just tried the advice you have given me and the issue is still there. I have been speaking to 2 other FM players and they have the same issue. 

@HayleyCowderyFM

@Slim977

Just to confirm, have you ever been able to run the game? 

Our next two suggestions are a bit full on, but one would be to try and create a new Windows Profile on your system and see if it runs through that profile. If it doesn't it may be worth an uninstall and reinstall of Windows. 

We don't say either lightly but realistically there's nothing obvious which could be causing this except the machine being very low spec - but as you've said it does meet the minimum requirements. 

No i have never been able to run the game. Another user stated that they were initially able to make a game but when trying to create a new game it failed. Maybe it could have had something to do with an update?

I have uninstalled and reinstalled windows and reinstalled steam. The game freezes at the same spot.

Can you please post your DxDiag from since you've reinstalled Windows so we can check? T

Would also be worth trying to launch the game in Windowed mode, details on how to do this below:

- Open Steam and access your Games Library
- Right-click on Football Manager 20xx -> Properties -> General -> Set Launch Options
- Type this in the box: -small_screen -windowed
- Click on OK, close the window and launch FMxx through Steam

Could you now try and see if the issue still occurs after downloading the latest update (20.2), released today from steam. 

If the issue is still present let us know and we will continue to look into it.

Thanks.

Tried the update and stops at the same point.

*side note*

Please don't comment asking the same questions that have been asked because it's been 2 weeks and the more yous comment asking the same things the longer i have to wait. Not saying you did there but just for future reference

Something we're quite interested in trying, if we send you a pre-created save game, are you able to load it and play it? We're just struggling to recreate this issue and it's quite a strange one that it's just affecting starting a new game. Will PM you details on how to download a pre-made save.

Apologies for this taking so long - we have a lot of systems of varying specs internally and not one has been able to reproduce this so far. 

Another thing we could try is getting a dump of the process at a time it is lagging, its going to produce a very large file though I'm afraid.

"Create dump file"

dump.png

When its finished it will tell you where it has written the file.

when i try to open your download i get this notification. I dont get it, am i meant to move it somewhere or am i just meant to open it?

Capture.PNG

15 hours ago, cianmcc96 said:

Thanks for the advice in private chat. The save file you sent me works perfectly fine. It must be an issue with loading a new game.

Glad to hear it's resolved!

The issue isn’t resolved I still can’t load a new game. I can only load the arsenal save neil gave me to test if the game works. I still can’t play 

Can you try doing what Neil asked for here, please

Hopefully that can give us some help on what the game is getting stuck on

I'm being told the dump file is too big to upload. Any ideas?

3 hours ago, EdL said:

Can you try doing what Neil asked for here, please

Hopefully that can give us some help on what the game is getting stuck on

Edited by cianmcc96

1 hour ago, EdL said:

We have a cloud upload service

I uploaded it there but it said it was an annoymous upload. I don't know if that matters or not. If it helps you find it i uploaded it at about 11:25pm. it's called fm.DMP

Edited by cianmcc96

Ok I see your problem, your PC is only reporting as single core , now there is a bug in our code that means the game gets stuck if there is only one core, which we can fix however:

Obviously your CPU shouldn't only have one core it thould have 4 (2x2 due to hyperthreading) so something is not right with your system, and if once we fix the bug you are going to suffer performance issues

You can actually see it in the dxdiag

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3687U CPU @ 2.10GHz, ~2.6GHz

It should look more like this (from a different dxdiag)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Except saying 4 in your case.

The only thing I can think is the other cores are turned off in the BIOS or some sort of system configuration tool, although I have no idea why that would have happened.

Yeah i had a little look there and it says i have 1 core and it won't let me turn on the other cores. Do you know a way around this? It only gives me the option to have 1 core which i don't understand.

The issue is fixed. I was able to turn on 2 cores and now it's working. Still need to figure out how to turn on all 4 cores to get the best out of the game but atleast now i can play. Thanks for the advice lads!