Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Balahara

FM20 - The Pentagon Challenge

A new FM and another instalment of the pentagon challenge, a great way to experience football management outside of Europe.

AIM

Win the 5 playable major continental club competitions of the world (The Champions League of AFC, CAF, CONCACAF, UEFA and the Copa Libertadores). 

RULES

These are the original rules for the challenge, If you wish to adjust any of them or add in some of your own and contribute to the thread, feel free to do so.

- Attribute masking and disabling of in game editor should be applied when creating your game.

- Start unemployed with Sunday league reputation and no coaching badges. How you split initial attribute points is up to you.

- No international management.

- Cosmetic changes to database are allowed, as are adding in leagues that are unplayable by default. 

- Keep us updated with your progress in this thread, starting with a screenshot of your manager on appointment to their first job.

TIPS

Adaptability is a mental attribute for your manager that increases your chances of finding employment in foreign leagues. Consider putting points into that when creating your manager.

Be prepared to make use of home grown talent. There is a 5 player foreigner limit in South Africa. The Asian Champions League squad restrictions only allow for 3 foreign players to be registered (with an additional 1 player from within Asia). In previous versions of the game, clubs from unplayable leagues did not adhere to foreign player limits, so if this continues in FM20 you must beware of unfairly strong middle eastern sides in the Asian Champions League.

Sort out your Brazilian club colours before starting a save.

Make yourself aware with who the sugar daddy teams are as they are the clubs to aspire to manage. Background and underwriter sugar daddy clubs are rife in China and South Korea. 

Edited by Balahara

Always been interested in this challenge so have started.  Unfortunately I didn't read the small print so I didn't actually disable player attribute masking.  That said, I'll be keeping my signings relatively realistic (i.e. I'll be scouting all of them!).

Anyway, after what felt like 2 months of constant rejections I have been hired by the University of Pretoria FC (aka Tuks FC!).  I've got former Portsmouth flop Collins Mbesuma leading my line up front and sit in 14th place, 1 point above the relegation zone.  What have I let myself in for?

My plan is to go Africa -> Asia -> North America -> South America -> Europe in that order.  Probably won't happen though!

I shouldn't have put in the attribute restrictions in anyway, Pentagon threads need all the participants it can get.

Unfortunately I had a nightmare at Royal Eagles and was relegated with a game to spare. Was guilty of rushing the games too much, making too many rash signings and was deservedly sacked. Will do attempt 2 soon. 

I used to like playing as Tuks, their youth system chucks out great players. First season is a slog however.  

1 hour ago, Balahara said:

I shouldn't have put in the attribute restrictions in anyway, Pentagon threads need all the participants it can get.

Unfortunately I had a nightmare at Royal Eagles and was relegated with a game to spare. Was guilty of rushing the games too much, making too many rash signings and was deservedly sacked. Will do attempt 2 soon. 

I used to like playing as Tuks, their youth system chucks out great players. First season is a slog however.  

Just continue your save and take another club on! 

Tuks don't look great on paper but I think we have enough to stay up at least 

I tried but I failed the interview at a team that had just been promoted to South African second tier. They were on at me about my relegation and lack of player support and I didn't have the right answer for them apparently. I believe the only option as a first club lies in South Africa with the way I set my leagues up. I was not getting any interview requests from China or South Korea. Thinking about trying India or Hong Kong for my next attempt. 

FYI: You can get 2nd tier jobs in China or South Korea (with that setup), but they're definitely less common than NFD gigs. 

43 minutes ago, Balahara said:

I tried but I failed the interview at a team that had just been promoted to South African second tier. They were on at me about my relegation and lack of player support and I didn't have the right answer for them apparently. I believe the only option as a first club lies in South Africa with the way I set my leagues up. I was not getting any interview requests from China or South Korea. Thinking about trying India or Hong Kong for my next attempt. 

You could always add lower reputation Asian league and see if that helps? I somehow got an interview for a South African Premier League side but wasn't successful 

So, my stint at Tuks might not actually last that long.  I can't offer contracts beyond the end of the season so I'm expecting to lose my entire playing squad.  Can't work out if a bug or not...

2 hours ago, UTT said:

So, my stint at Tuks might not actually last that long.  I can't offer contracts beyond the end of the season so I'm expecting to lose my entire playing squad.  Can't work out if a bug or not...

Nope. That's normal. No one can at that level. You have to offer extensions.

7 minutes ago, XuluBak said:

Nope. That's normal. No one can at that level. You have to offer extensions.

So I'm in January at the moment and I can only offer an extension for the next 6 months (I. E. End of the current season - so not an extension).  There is nothing unusual with that? If so, I'll continue. 

So I played and won a friendly, won my first match then lost my second. Not too bad, huge squad with a lot of injuries but I reckon we have enough about us. Splashed 2k on Emiliano Tade of Sundowns as my regular AML is at the African Nations Championship. 

1 hour ago, UTT said:

So I'm in January at the moment and I can only offer an extension for the next 6 months (I. E. End of the current season - so not an extension).  There is nothing unusual with that? If so, I'll continue. 

So I played and won a friendly, won my first match then lost my second. Not too bad, huge squad with a lot of injuries but I reckon we have enough about us. Splashed 2k on Emiliano Tade of Sundowns as my regular AML is at the African Nations Championship. 

In the second tier, you can only offer 1 year contracts, but you should be able to have them start at the end of the season. If you're talking new transfers in, then you can give them a contract til the end of the season with optional/games-played extensions built in. It can complicate the "work within wage budget" vision objective though. It's not hard to be under for current and committed spend, but be over in that window from late May until the next season beings. That could be an issue in any league, but more problematic in NFD because virtually everyone is always on an expiring contract, so you have no choice but to have a bunch of new contracts kicking in at once. 

I don't know if other teams negotiating with expiring contracts players works differently in South Africa or not. I didn't have anyone trying to steal any of my players on a free, but I also extended everyone I wanted to keep in January when I took over.

Edited by XuluBak

Making slight progress although I still can't extend any contracts beyond May - that is going to cost me. 

We sit 5th, 12 points clear of relegation with 8 games left.  Into the cup quarter finals away to Sundowns after we beat Premier Division side Maritzburg on penalties. 

Issues with the squad, my reputation is too low and they are all complaining about me. Still, am doing my coaching badge to try and improve that. 

Gonna start this today , do you people load all leagues or just the continent that you intend to manage , Im prob gonna for africa or asia first so was just going to load up those leagues to start with.

Also i seen on last years challenge someone took charge of cameroon u23s , is that not allowed this year?

2 hours ago, whizzkid said:

Also i seen on last years challenge someone took charge of cameroon u23s , is that not allowed this year?

You can play the challenge as you wish. We don't really get enough participants for me to start limiting styles of play. I'll amend the first post soon so that the rules I've posted are more of a guideline than hard rule.

I wanted to disallow international management as it's not a part of the 5 trophy goals and it removes attribute masking on your nation's players. Also wanted to provide a clear difference between this and the Ultimate FM challenge. 

As far as league setup goes, I like to load up every league I have any intention of playing at the start.

Yeah, i like to load every league also. I found international management a bit odd.  At the start there is a load of free jobs but it's the smaller nations without really enough players in the pool to make it worthwhile.  I also found it a bit unrealistic that Spains U19 would take me with no question but I'd have trouble with a South African 2nd Division side.  For me, it just didn't feel right so I didn't bother and waited. 

If I could give advice, I'd split my points between Adaptability and Man management on the right hand side and I'd plough all my left hand side into 1 category as you can help with training and the coaches at the level you start are pretty poor 

OK. new patch, new attempt.

Got a much better club this time round in Ajax Cape Town, joining with 11 league games left. They want top three but seeing as my contract runs out next year I might even be safe if I fail to get promoted. I selected a much lower transfer/wage budget in the interview phase and things aren't so great on the finances front. Probably in for a bit of rebuilding once the transfer window opens. 

Manager Profile - Finances - League Table

ACT.thumb.png.2406c2a0ee98d5d1be446b2164d1edad.png

AJax Cape Town - 2019/20

9 wins 2 draws 0 defeats:cool: The embarrassing relegation in my first attempt is but a distant memory :D

I was blessed with a squad who were much better than the South African second tier and the results proved it. Cape Umoya United were the only ones that could match me and were leading the race heading into the final gameweek. My match was a simple thrashing of soon to be relegated Richards Bay, so all eyes were on my title rivals. They managed to throw away a lead which crowned Ajax Cape Town as the league champions

A couple of my best players already agreed deals elsewhere and a few more squad players I won't be able to keep on due to wage demands. I still think the squad is strong as is it and I will have 5 free slots for foreign player signings over the summer. A Brazilian staff member has already been hired so that's where the scouting will be concentrated as I plan to qualify for the African Champions League in the coming season. This club is more than capable of winning an African Champions League with their superb training and youth facilities.

Finances not looking great as I'm still 600k in the red even with a 650k late season investment from the board. I'm sure things will improve in the coming season with top division TV and attendance income. 

Season   Team                     League               Cup1           Cup2          Continental        Other              Notes
=================================================================================================================================================================================
2019/20  Ajax Cape Town            1st                 Preliminary    N/A           N/A                N/A           Promoted. Joined with 11 league games remaining. 
Edited by Balahara

Finished my first season with Tuks in 5th place and a Cup Quarter Final defeat to eventual winners Sundowns. 

I inherited a huge squad with limited quality so set about a very dull counter attacking style that was difficult to break down. 

At the start of season 2 I kept a lot of my original squad intact as I couldn't find any upgrades. Unfortunately, the board insisted on a higher pressing style and I've struggled to find consistency (despite steam rolling teams in pre season weve been toothless at times in the league). We currently sit 5th at the winter break although it is doubtful I'll get promoted.  My entire coaching staff are out of contract in the summer, but as they are largely useless I'm not too bothered! 

ACT.thumb.png.98e7ea14073325fed8041de6bc09e116.png

Ajax Cape Town 2020/2021

League Table - Just missed out of Champions League football next year due to GD :seagull:

Admittedly I wasn't expecting any chance of getting near to that after a disastrous start where I lost 6 of my opening 9 league games. After some tactical adjustments and a long break for the players to gel, results were a lot better. There was a major collapse near the end from Sundowns which could have caused some last day heroics, but they managed to win on the final day to pip me to the post. Can't really complain as Sundowns battered me 4-0 away and 2-0 at home. 

Cups - Completed a cup double. Nice to have for the added bank balance and reputation boost. Will also get to compete in the Super 8 next year due to top half finish in the league. 

TransfersA lot of wheeling and dealing here, which may account for the rotten start to my league campaign. Very happy with the quality of my squad now. Having superb training facilities is such a positive. Young players such as Kingsley Philip , Asanele Valebhayi and Liam Bern are now foundations in my squad and getting better each week. I rejected an offer worth up to 2.2m for Valebhayi and some top teams are sniffing around Bern so I'm not sure I'll be able to keep them in the long term. Player of the season went to Everton Felipe , a player that is really much too good for this league. Glad I've got him tied down for another year. 

TacticWas too attacking in my early season tactic so this is the compromise. Still not totally happy with it as my goals per game is poor. Probably gonna attempt something less high tempo and more composed next season.

FinancesThe money worries of last season are behind us. Board even gave me £325k to spend for next season.

Manager Profile - Coaching badges coming along nicely.

Next season I gotta concentrate on getting a top two league position. I am blessed with the best squad in the league so it should be done. The numerous cups are fun and I'll have African Confederations Cup to contend with next year, but I'll be satisfied with just having the chance to win the African Champions League in the 22/23 season. 

Season   Team                     League               Cup1           Cup2          Continental        Other              Notes
=================================================================================================================================================================================
2019/20  Ajax Cape Town            1st                 Preliminary    N/A           N/A                N/A           Promoted. Joined with 11 league games remaining.
2020/21  Ajax Cape Town            3rd                 Winners       Winners        N/A                N/A           Double Cup winners. Confederations Cup Qualification.

Edited by Balahara

Wheels are starting to come off at Tuks. Im in January and are having Orlando Pirates offering contracts to my best winger (and top scorer). Unfortunately it's too soon in the season so I can't offer him a contract beyond the season end just yet! Nightmare, just impossible to even begin to build for the future 

It took me a while to get an offer but I eventually landed the job at Real Kings in South Africa.

first job at Real Kings, NDV, RSA.png

Living in South Africa and having decent knowledge of Southern African football, I knew where to look and picked up some gems to quickly bolster my squad. By the fourth season, we had become so strong that we comfortably won every competition that we contested in. I also managed to pick up the Algeria job after they had a poor World Cup campaign and capped of an incredible year by winning the Africa Cup of Nations.

caf champs league.pngcaf quintuple.pngafcon algeria.png

After achieving such success and accomplishing the first part of the challenge, I said goodbye to Real Kings and accepted an offer to Hebei China Fortune. I never spent more than 30k on a player at Real Kings and now I had over 100m to spend on players. It was unreal. I managed to secure a third place finish in my first season at the club. It was now time to put my personal stamp on the club. The funds allowed for a revamp of the squad so I signed 17 players, including Lionel Messi (37), Toni Kroos (34), and Rodrigo (33)! Rodrigo was not doing it for me so midway through the season, I had to find a better player so I sold him for 5m and signed Sergio Aguero (36) in his place.

move to china.png

We are currently top of the CSL and things are looking good. Messi, Kroos, and Aguero are unreal! I might not be at the club for long at this rate but I am enjoying every second of it.

tactic.thumb.png.c1410467208fd447c77d5ac43f6b7352.png

Edited by SlickJames

Aguero and Messi up against those poor Chinese defenders :D This is why I love the pentagon challenge.

Put a stop to my save after not enjoying what I was seeing on the pitch. I'll be back in February for a fresh attempt, definitely won't start in South Africa next time. Want a change of scenery.

Edited by Balahara

After a very slow start in Season 2 with Tuks we had a surprising end. 

Despite losing right winger Kgodiso Monama on a pre-contract agreement to Kaiser Chiefs (I refused to play him after that) we managed to hit form after Christmas.  Lone front man Shungu Dutiro hit an inspired 24 league goals on the way to a title win (and promotion) by 9 clear points. We also managed to win the Nedbank Cup so I've somehow wrangled my way into the African Europa League equivalent! 

Unfortunately, I've been given no money to spend, Dutiro wouldn't sign a new contract and left and my entire scouting team has been poached. We shall see how long I can last... 

Every year I start unemployed and as a Sunday League footballer and I wait to see what lower league Scottish team will hire me first. This year I got Stenhousemuir, and in 13 seasons I took them from the bottom of league 2 to winning the Champions League, and then I thought I'd have a go at another continent so I moved to China and joined Beijing Renhe. In my 2nd season there I won the Chinese Super League and I got the notification telling me that I had qualified for the Asian Champions League but the actual competition hasn't happened yet, but it seems like it's broken and will never happen and I've encountered some sort of bug that leads to that competition just not spawning. Below is my screenshot. 3B7EF28237692FDA12E25529F79690FACEC3704B

No winners since 2019, but im in 2036 now =(

Have I just been really unlucky and encountered a bug? Because it's pretty gutting to have my go at the Pentagon scuppered like this. I didn't even plan on doing the Pentagon when I started the save, but it evolved into the objective over time.

Any way to fix it?

Edited by itsallstar

Don't know why that happened but it isn't going to be fixable on that save. If you want to submit a bug report the place to do so is 

Started this save on the beta. I am now in 2025 playing for the first time in the asian champions league with Huanghai. 4-2-4 is really strong in asia, for the first time in years i am playing basically route one and it's working.

Screenshot_61.png

Screenshot_60.png