FM20 - Bundesliga(s) Thread

Pavi

An exciting season in Germany, will you wanna try to challange Bayern Munich dominance? Will you take the youth of Bayer Leverkusen or Borussia Dortmund to finally challange for the title? Will you take the place of young upcoming managers like Nagelsmann or Rose at RB Leipzig or Borussia Mönchengladbach? Do you wanna become a club-legend in such unique clubs like St. Pauli or Union Berlin? Or revive some sleeping giants like Hamburg, Kaiserslautern, or 1860 Munich?

This is the place to share your story and career updates!

1024px-Bundesliga_logo_(2017).svg.png800px-2._Bundesliga_logo.svg.png1024px-3._Liga_logo_(2014).svg.png

I take the opportunity to link to two Team guides on Borussia Mönchengladbach by @Saint_Lane and Bayer Leverkusen by @BanOly. Credit to them for their work!

Edited by Pavi

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Corndog4669 said:

It’s either gonna be Werder Bremen or Freiburg for me... having an extremely tough time deciding which one though

So many good teams in Germany, would like to do some long-term saves with either Mainz or Munich 1860, but I wanted to start a safer side to get myself into this year match-engine, so was thinking of Leverkusen - would be funny to do a treble with them! - but then again I see squads like Hertha with that youth or Nuernberg and their solid 2.BL side....so many saves idea so little time to play!

Between Werder and Freiburg, I'd personally go north, they have some decent players and with the right set-up you can certainly beat expectations.

Edited by Pavi

I started with Schalke 04 and played 2 seasons.

-I signed many Argentinian youngsters unintentionally. First was Thiago Almada. I was playing 4 2 3 1 and Almada was playing as attacking midfielder (support).  He contributed 5+ goals and 5+ assists in his first season. His second season, he scored 9 goals and assisted 11 in the Bundesliga. I was really happy with his performances and he had been developed really really well. If he was playing for a team who is bigger than Schalke 04 (Bayern or Barcelona etc) he would worth €50+ million for sure.

- Second one was Fausto Vera. He was playing as box to box midfielder. He was really good player for his age and developed really well either.

- Third one was Agustin Obando. I signed him on free if I'm not mistaken in my first season. He was a winger but I also loaned Asensio from Real Madrid and Asensio started awesome to my second season. In the first half of the season Asensio was my real man. In the second half, he wasn't that good so I started Obando frequently. He didn't do well at first but he was on fire in the last 2-3 months of 2020/21 season.

- Fourth one was Agustin Almendra. I signed him for my second season, and he was the main player in my midfield with Fausto Vera. I played Almendra as deep lying midfielder and he was really good at it. Finished season with around 5+ goals 5+ assists.

- Fifth one and last one was Nehuen Perez. I loaned him from Atletico Madrid in my second season with an option to buy (€15 million). Atletico wanted mandatory clause but I changed it to optional. But he was really good and I triggered the option and signed him. He was class.

I have no real achievement lol. I finished my first season 6th and qualified for European Cup. In my second season I defeated from DFB-Pokal by Köln and defeated from European Cup by Barcelona (quarter final) and I was sacked. I was sacked because the board wanted a challenge for silverware in the second season but I didn't win anything and I was 4th in the Bundesliga in my second season with 5 games to go. And I had no idea what the board wanted me to do at the start of the game lol. It was disappointing because I was having fun and my team was becoming clearly better. I need to be more careful for my next save. I was signed really promising players for the future and my squad was full of young players. My oldest starter was Benjamin Mendy (he was 26). 

I really liked the new transfer fees. I signed Haaland for only €18,5 million. If it was FM 19 or 18, he would be like €40-50 million for sure. Haaland scored 20 goals in the league and became topscorer with Robert Lewandowski. I also signed Abdülkadir Ömür from Trabzonspor in my second season, he was good overall. He had potential to be world class. Nübel's potential ability was awesome but he didn't develop well, he was good and my first choice in the goal but as I said, he didn't develop well; that was my only bad surprise (after sacking lol).

I signed the Argentinians around 4-6 million € each. As I said above, I was really happy with transfer fees. They are more realistic than the other games. Or fair price I can say.

RB Leipzig won the title 2 times, Wolfsburg was very good too. They could have become champions in the second season. Frankfurt is a though team. That's all I can say I guess. Oh I remember to say one more thing. Tons of goals I scored or conceded in extra times. It's frustrating sometimes. Here are some screenshots from different dates:

20191104180853_1.jpg

20191112002906_1.jpg

20191112002913_1.jpg

20191112002921_1.jpg

20191118141848_1.jpg

Edited by Goretzka

Started by Koln game last night. Made quite a few changes to the squad. The only main thing I have to do for the board is sign players under the age of 23 for the first team and finish mid-table. I haven't played any competitive fixtures yet.

I brought in:

Von Drongelen - 20 year old Dutch CB from Hamburg - €4.4m

Behrens - 29 year old German DM from Nurnberg - €4.3m (direct Hoger replacement to play ball winner in my midfield)

Blas Riveros - 21 year old Paraguayan LB from Basel - €3.5m

Amine Gouri - 19 year old French Striker from Lyon - €8.25m (think this guy will be my biggest signing of the lot)

I also signed the Uruguyan Striker Matias Arezo for €1.2m from River Plate Montevideo but he's only 16 so won't arrive at the club till Jan of next season.

Total spend so far is €20.7m and only one player out of the 5 is over 23 so fits with the board's request.

Outgoings were:

Cleared out some deadwood which were:

Sobiech - €3m - CB

Schmitz - €1.8m - RB

Hoger - €4.8m - DM

then I got an offer from Bayern for my left-back Jonas Hector who was one of my best players. But he was valued at €14m, 29 years old and they were offering €25m upfront so I couldn't turn that down.

I had an issue where I started the game with 3 alright strikers but no one I thought could get me enough goals over the course of a season. Two strikers at 31 years of age who I couldn't seem to sell no matter what. Modeste was on a ridiculous 4 year contract at a huge €67k per week so no wonder! My other striker was Jhon Cordoba who has some great stats but his finishing is 11 and his other technical stats were poor too. He had 2 years left on his deal and I could get €10m for him so I decided that he would make way to give Gouri space in the squad since I play one on top.

Total outgoings total €44.6m so far representing a profit of €23.9m

I now have a budget of €19m left and still need to sign a couple of players. A young back-up goalkeeper costing at most €2m. Plus, depending on how easy it is to sell the deadwood wingers I have, I want to buy a brilliant inside forward comfortable on both wings with most of the money. Ideally he'd be under 23 too. Any recommendations? 

I'll also look to pick up cheap promising young players in quantity at up to €1.5m each.

This is my main tactic and presumed starting eleven at the moment:

Untitled.thumb.png.99eee750de1534e3cbe84089f3fed006.png

Edited by Duckelfsc

Also started a game with 1. FC Köln. Gone with a 442/4411 either emphasis on the wide players or long ball counter attacking.

After 12 games I sit 9th with a W4 D4 L4 record.

Most notable recruit is the speed merchant Kouame from Genoa (8M) who I play as an advanced forward and has bagged 8 goals. I also got the equally speedy Alphonso Davies from Bayern on loan and hopefully will get him permanently. Tried to get rid of the strikers but to no avail but did buy a new back-up one in the form of Ahmed Kutucu, whose only contribution thus far is an assist by hitting the post from 4 yards and the ball rebounding onto Kouame's foot!

Next transfer targets will be get rid of more of the dead wood, buy a better AM for when I go 4411 (usually away against stronger teams or when they play a DM playmaker) and improve the centre midfielders (currently playing Höger and Skhiri there).

Screenshot 2019-11-20 at 11.06.51.png

27 minutes ago, threeps said:

Also started a game with 1. FC Köln. Gone with a 442/4411 either emphasis on the wide players or long ball counter attacking.

After 12 games I sit 9th with a W4 D4 L4 record.

Most notable recruit is the speed merchant Kouame from Genoa (8M) who I play as an advanced forward and has bagged 8 goals. I also got the equally speedy Alphonso Davies from Bayern on loan and hopefully will get him permanently. Tried to get rid of the strikers but to no avail but did buy a new back-up one in the form of Ahmed Kutucu, whose only contribution thus far is an assist by hitting the post from 4 yards and the ball rebounding onto Kouame's foot!

Next transfer targets will be get rid of more of the dead wood, buy a better AM for when I go 4411 (usually away against stronger teams or when they play a DM playmaker) and improve the centre midfielders (currently playing Höger and Skhiri there).

Screenshot 2019-11-20 at 11.06.51.png

Nice one. Quite different tactical ideas from me. Did you try to sell Cordoba or only the two pensioner strikers? You can sell Cordoba quite easily. Offer out for €10m or £8.5m and you can get that money straight up for him.

Are you not playing Schaub or Drexler at all?

41 minutes ago, Duckelfsc said:

Nice one. Quite different tactical ideas from me. Did you try to sell Cordoba or only the two pensioner strikers? You can sell Cordoba quite easily. Offer out for €10m or £8.5m and you can get that money straight up for him.

Are you not playing Schaub or Drexler at all?

Sold both Schaub and Drexler, at the time they didn't fit in with my 442 but in hindsight I could of kept Drexler for the 4411. Managed to offload Modeste but I got no takers for Cordoba. Will try again in January.

1 hour ago, threeps said:

Sold both Schaub and Drexler, at the time they didn't fit in with my 442 but in hindsight I could of kept Drexler for the 4411. Managed to offload Modeste but I got no takers for Cordoba. Will try again in January.

I can see Cordoba fitting it to your formation quite well as the pressing forward though. Does he perform badly? How did you manage to get rid of Modeste? I'd love to get his wages off lol

9 minutes ago, Duckelfsc said:

I can see Cordoba fitting it to your formation quite well as the pressing forward though. Does he perform badly? How did you manage to get rid of Modeste? I'd love to get his wages off lol

Modeste went to a MIddle Eastern club for 3.2m and now earns a staggering 97k per week!

Cordoba has 3 goals thus far and an avg rating of 6.96. So ok, nothing special.

Might look to change the tactic slightly by adding a right wing midfielder playmaker (not many about!) so play is concentrated on that side leaving the left side for the fast guys for when play can be switched, thus the anvil and hammer tactic!

Just now, threeps said:

Modeste went to a MIddle Eastern club for 3.2m and now earns a staggering 97k per week!

Cordoba has 3 goals thus far and an avg rating of 6.96. So ok, nothing special.

Might look to change the tactic slightly by adding a right wing midfielder playmaker (not many about!) so play is concentrated on that side leaving the left side for the fast guys for when play can be switched, thus the anvil and hammer tactic!

Did you transfer list Modeste and offer him out for that amount approximately? Yeah Qatari and Saudi clubs seem to love buying overpaid players on this.

1 minute ago, Duckelfsc said:

Did you transfer list Modeste and offer him out for that amount approximately? Yeah Qatari and Saudi clubs seem to love buying overpaid players on this.

Yeah but I probably took a slight hit on the price as I wanted him off the wages, I was over budget.

3 minutes ago, Goretzka said:

I'm still thinking. I like Bundesliga because there is no foreign limit and the league is contentious. But I'm still angry with the Schalke board lol. What would you suggest?

Gladbach, Leverkusen or Frankfurt would be good choices imo.

Not playing much of FM19 probably hasn't helped much, but really starting to question my own sanity here. I started a Bayern save to get the hang of things, and I'm not doing as well as I should be.

XVHuW3a.png

Just can't seem to score many goals. The Hamburg game was a weird one, because I was 3-1 down. Then they seemed to actually start playing football and we won 4-3. But the last game vs Ingolstadt and only won 2-0. They didn't have a shot, but I only had 10.

I started with this:

XtjBfqz.png

Which to me looks fairly well balanced but nothing was happening. So I changed it to the stock vertical tiki-taka and used that 4141 which improved slightly.

Just wondered what other people are using with Bayern. But also thinking how bad can I actually be on FM to not be able to do well with Bayern.

15 hours ago, craiigman said:

Not playing much of FM19 probably hasn't helped much, but really starting to question my own sanity here. I started a Bayern save to get the hang of things, and I'm not doing as well as I should be.

XVHuW3a.png

Just can't seem to score many goals. The Hamburg game was a weird one, because I was 3-1 down. Then they seemed to actually start playing football and we won 4-3. But the last game vs Ingolstadt and only won 2-0. They didn't have a shot, but I only had 10.

I started with this:

XtjBfqz.png

Which to me looks fairly well balanced but nothing was happening. So I changed it to the stock vertical tiki-taka and used that 4141 which improved slightly.

Just wondered what other people are using with Bayern. But also thinking how bad can I actually be on FM to not be able to do well with Bayern.

Tactic probably quite cautious for Bayern. Poacher could also be isolated in that system - not sure that's making the best out of Lewa. Plus Lewa could deal with many types of crosses and is strong enough in the air that "Low Crosses" isn't a setting I'd use.

Played some more last night and finished the transfer window. 

Brought in:

Naci Unuvar - €1m from Ajax

Florent Muslija - €2.5m from Hannover

Joseph Paintsil - €6m from Genk

Mohamed Daramy - €2.1m from Copenhagen

This means all signings so far except Behrens are 21 or younger.

Then I managed to get Modeste's wages off the bill selling him for €3.5m and Risse also left for €2.5m

Managed to make a profit on player sales of €17.4m, significantly reduce the average age of the squad and also reduce the wage bill by €104k per week. Only issue might be that we have a very inexperienced squad so will take a couple of years before these players are firing at all cylinders - hopefully some of them can start sooner.

I started the season with an away 2-0 win in the German Cup against a 3rd Tier side then the league action started.

First game was at home to Freiburg and was a very comfortable 3-0 victory.

Then I went away to Frankfurt and drew 2-2. A late equaliser from Amine Gouri getting us a very credible point. 

We then drew 1-1 away to Schalke in the final game before the international break meaning that we are currently 6th in the table after 3 games.

Tactic is working ok but think I will totally change one of the 3 tactics when I get home. Not sure how to fit Paintsil into the side at the moment.

16 hours ago, BanOly said:

@Pavi could you link Bundesliga team guides? :D will help people to get started and ensure our threads get a fair bit of coverage.

I have a Leverkusen guide and there's a fantastically detailed Mönchengladbach thread out there as well!

Just linked yours on B04 and the one for BMG. I will try to add some suggestions of interesting teams in the open post, but had been über-busy at work these days.

1 hour ago, Duckelfsc said:

Tactic probably quite cautious for Bayern. Poacher could also be isolated in that system - not sure that's making the best out of Lewa. Plus Lewa could deal with many types of crosses and is strong enough in the air that "Low Crosses" isn't a setting I'd use.

I have changed systems now. My idea was that Lewa wouldn't be needed in the build up, and he wasn't involved anyway, so was hoping with poacher he would be on the end of things. 

Also what about that system makes it cautious? I found with the Gegenpress or Vertical Tiki-Taka defaults just ended up with stupid amounts of long shots, and wasn't breaking teams down at all.

4 minutes ago, craiigman said:

I have changed systems now. My idea was that Lewa wouldn't be needed in the build up, and he wasn't involved anyway, so was hoping with poacher he would be on the end of things. 

Also what about that system makes it cautious? I found with the Gegenpress or Vertical Tiki-Taka defaults just ended up with stupid amounts of long shots, and wasn't breaking teams down at all.

Yeah I see your new system above. Looks good to me. Just think positive mentality, only a few players on attack and standard line of engagement is quite cautious with Bayern. If you are still using that formation in some games then maybe try a more attacking role for the left-back?

Edited by Duckelfsc

Played some more of my FC Koln game last night. Currently just played the first game of November 2019 and I'm still unbeaten! Played 10 in the league and have drawn 5 won 5. This puts me 3rd in the table, level with Bayern and 2 points off league leaders Schalke. The unbeaten run includes the cup too and a scraped win on penalties away to 3rd Tier Ingolstadt in the 2nd round. Now got 2nd tier Stuttgart away after that.

It's definitely not been scintillating football that has got us to this point but mainly a strong defence. We've only scored more than 2 goals in a game once and in half our games we've not scored more than one goal. Part of this seems to be that my striker is struggling to get involved in matches. Amine Gouri playing as an advanced forward in a 4-2-3-1 - he started the season well but hasn't scored for 5 matches now and he's only completing about 5 passes a game so barely getting a touch of the ball. Would moving him to a complete forward attack get him more involved? 

My second most expensive signing of the summer Joseph Paintsil has been absolutely hopeless so far. €6m, one goal and a seemlingly uncanny inability to cross the ball to a teammate. He's only 21 so hopefully he improves but looking like a panic signing at the moment.

Timo Horn is an incredible keeper and Ellyes Skhiri has been awesome for him. The Tunisian can score from anywhere and is my top goalscorer at the moment.

14 hours ago, DirtyJoe said:

Finished my first season

image.thumb.png.84bf9db5bbacd5f7d3f17bead06aed37.png

Squad -

image.thumb.png.a11c52f4fb5fe2b15d67846f71ed106d.png

A attacking 442 -

image.thumb.png.37678e1d8954881e96e2b9b64549cf7c.png

Very interesting system, and you won the league in the first season! When I look at it on paper I would have thought you'd get destroyed through the middle with the 2 MEZ. How did you come up with it/how does it work?

4 hours ago, Pavi said:

bef9ae8739becb0300b78d59e1e79933.png

So, in a game my opposition got 4 players sent off!!!! Never seen anything like this :idiot:

That is insane :eek: 

Think I will join you guys in managing in Germany :D Tempted to manage either Gladbach, RB Leipzig or Schalke :seagull:

Just started a save in 3.Liga wtih Kaiserslautern.  4 time Bundesliga winners, currently languishing in the third tier (IRL they're 1 point from relegation zone). A good squad actually, however 3 first team players are out with long term injuries (Spalvis, Sternberg, Esmel) so will have to get a couple of players in . Looking to play a fluid passing style, pass my way to the BL!

17 hours ago, john1 said:

That is insane :eek: 

Think I will join you guys in managing in Germany :D Tempted to manage either Gladbach, RB Leipzig or Schalke :seagull:

All good choices, I did half a season with BMG and it was really fun, Embolo was on fire. With Schalke you can finally stabilise them and challange for the title after a couple of season, they have an amazing youth setup. And RBL, well, I am not in the camp of people who hate them, on the contrary I've always been fascinated by how they structured their club. What did you choose eventually?

12 hours ago, Stu_UBJ said:

Just started a save in 3.Liga wtih Kaiserslautern.  4 time Bundesliga winners, currently languishing in the third tier (IRL they're 1 point from relegation zone). A good squad actually, however 3 first team players are out with long term injuries (Spalvis, Sternberg, Esmel) so will have to get a couple of players in . Looking to play a fluid passing style, pass my way to the BL!

1FCK are one of the greatest clubs in German football history, proper fallen giant save material there. 

800px-SV-Werder-Bremen-Logo.svg.png

SV Werder Bremen

So after much pondering and testing various teams, I have finally settled for Werder Bremen, a team with a reach history that have fallen into mediocre mid-table-ness in the last years after their more recent spells of success in the 90's and yearly 2000's, having managed a domestic double in 2004. 

The squad also has some of my favourite players of recent edition of FM, such as Davy Klaassen and Ludwig Augustinsson, and an incredible Champions League winner veteran such as Claudio Pizarro. There are also some interesting young players I will aim to develop as I try to re-establish Werder Bremen into the elite of German football, Milot Rashica, Maximilian and Johannes Eggestein or young American striker Josh Sargent.

Ahoy8Qa.jpg?2

Haven't done anything crazy on the transfer market so far, brought in Asta and Batista-Meier on loan to be backup options to our first team, and brought in Erkan Eyibil who is always transfer-listed by Mainz for peanuts as he doesn't want to sign a new contract, at EUR 100K he is a steal and a no-brainer. First XI for this campaing and tactic setup is this.

ONEusTw.jpg?3

Just after the winter's break and we are in the Top 4, don't know whether we could sustain this form, but I will happy with a Europa League qualification. Hopefully I will finish this season soon and dive into the market to make the squad more "my own".

3qiRqYa.jpg?1

Z0LjVel.jpg

Image result for 1.fc koln badge

Like a few others on this Bundesliga thread, I've started a save with newly promoted 1. FC Köln. The default squad itself is easily good enough to maintain top-flight status as I believe there are far weaker sides in Fortuna Düsseldorf, Union Berlin and SC Paderborn. However, with that being said I have made a few changes in order to get a bit more from the team. Just finished pre-season, so this is where I'm sitting currently.

Out:

- (CM) Marco Hoeger (£4m to Al-Ittihad), ageing player with decent value.

- (ST) Jhon Córdoba (£5m to Palmeiras), very good pressing forward, but not so good for our systems.

= £9 million

In:

- (GK) Yvon Mvogo (£100k per month loan deal with a £5m optional fee), suitable back-up to Timo Horn.

- (LB) Birger Meling (£1m from Rosenborg), a capable left-back. My long-term goal is to move Jonas Hector to CM.

- (CB) Alexander Milosevic (Free), good back-up option in case we're hit by injuries.

- (ST) Musa Barrow (33k per month loan deal from Atalanta)

= £1 million + £133k per month.

I've still got Schmitz (RB) up for sale due to him being our 3rd best option but currently there is no real interest. I debated buying a new striker and possibly a right-winger (due to injuries) but Schaub can play there when needed. As for the striker, I couldn't find any top options for a £3-4m fee and as such I've opted for a loan in an attempt to hold off until we have more funds to bring in a higher caliber forward. If I opt to play Schaub out wide, I may move for someone like Xadas to play the #10 role, but nothing is set in stone just yet. Tried to loan Fiete Arp, but Bayern were having none of it.

01e381cecb84f23c31a2a708d76ac8c3.png   05cd45b5ee365f9e8966683e6ba17170.png

Tactically we're looking at a fluid, counter-attacking 4411 for the bigger ties, and a gegenpressing based 4231 for games where I believe us to be the better team. I've changed a couple of roles and tweaked a few instructions but they're still pretty close to the default tactical styles.

Outside of that I've overhauled the backroom staff as best I can, replacing both the DOF and the HOYD. The media has us finishing 14th, but I think we're going to be hoping to push the top 10, maybe even bag a top half finish if we're lucky. My one worry is mainly goalscoring, strikers have proven to be quite useless for me this year on FM and with no real out and out #9, I do worry how we'll get on.

But anyway, I'll try and stay active on the thread and will check in if any other transfers are made, or possibly just at random points throughout the season! :D

Edited by Werrett

10 hours ago, Pavi said:

All good choices, I did half a season with BMG and it was really fun, Embolo was on fire. With Schalke you can finally stabilise them and challange for the title after a couple of season, they have an amazing youth setup. And RBL, well, I am not in the camp of people who hate them, on the contrary I've always been fascinated by how they structured their club. What did you choose eventually?

Hoffenheim :D 

Having just started an FC Pauli save, i think i've found a new hero;

Christopher Buchtmann. An absolute monster in the middle, he does everything, he's the glue that holds my team together.

Marvin Knoll with some cracking freekicks.

Cenk Sahin going up and down the right like prime Troare. 

The only problem is my transfers - aside from loans - my signings have been bleak. Gonzalo Villar for 450k -big money for FC Pauli- has flopped. Efkan Bekiroglu, i guess there was a reason mans was in the third league. God bless Lukas Mai and Rhian Brewster for making me look semi-competent with my signings. 

5 hours ago, Something said:

Having just started an FC Pauli save, i think i've found a new hero;

Christopher Buchtmann. An absolute monster in the middle, he does everything, he's the glue that holds my team together.

Marvin Knoll with some cracking freekicks.

Cenk Sahin going up and down the right like prime Troare. 

The only problem is my transfers - aside from loans - my signings have been bleak. Gonzalo Villar for 450k -big money for FC Pauli- has flopped. Efkan Bekiroglu, i guess there was a reason mans was in the third league. God bless Lukas Mai and Rhian Brewster for making me look semi-competent with my signings. 

Loans will get easier from second season on, there will be a lot of players that at start of the game are already out on loan. In first season you can get Batista Meier and Zirkee from Bayern as well, they are excellent for a second division side. How are you set up tactically, how is Moller Daelhi doing for you? Think he is top quality for 2.Bunde, buthis injuries problem scared me off so never sign him.

Edited by Pavi