Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

5 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

That's kinda how football works. 

You ignored the part where I said “more than usual.” It’s not the deciding factor. In my beta save, Bournemouth were unbeaten until the match engine update. Any team in good form, like Bournemouth or City, would play out 0-0 against human opposition in comparable form. After that first update, they were horrendous for a while. Now, it’s not as severe as that, but it still seems more important than usual. I wasn’t saying that’s a bad thing or an unusual thing. 

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Managing Coventry, won League One comfortably and was 1st/2nd throughout the Championship season with 14 games to go and pretty confident I was going up. Assistant Manager got poached by Crystal Palace and the team just capitulated. Won 3 of the next 14 games including a 6 game losing streak. Ended up 7th.

Sickening. Don't think I can take another 46 game slog in the Championship :seagull:

36 minutes ago, GOODNAME said:

Cheer up guys, the next ME patch will be a march :) 

20.3 is coming soon. Winter update.

March - April will be 20.7 (lol)

8 minutes ago, zachalxnder said:

They have responded quickly to the issues raised earlier, so I’m fairly confident that they’ll have something out as soon as they can. 

Don't hold your breath

This is second year in a row (or maybe third I didn't try fm18) where player needs to be in acres of space to receive simple pass forward, while flank switching looks like piece of cake compared to it. And this is most basic thing in football. Shall we mention a little more sophisticated stuff, like how the ''improved'' defending looks?

10 minutes ago, Cadoni said:

Don't hold your breath

4 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

All league games, no rearranged fixtures. And you can now throw an away cup tie in there too! 

It's all these wee nightly things that spoil the game, I can live with an ME that has little flaws as it'll never be perfect but these things just annoy me. 

2 hours ago, MatthewS17 said:

Feel like you shouldn't assume everyone is in the same position as you. An expendable amount of money to you is a crucial amount of savings to someone else. That's some ignorant, privileged thinking right there.

I think you got it the other way around? There was a demo to try out which in all fairness he could have done. 

2 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

I think you got it the other way around? There was a demo to try out which in all fairness he could have done. 

The problem with demo version is: It's completely different game between demo and current version.

If a buyer-player have the impression of "that's how it looks" and game current version is different; it's not the fault of buyer-gamer.

Demo version creates problem for SI. I hope to understand soon.

I am sorry but if the demo version is not the same as the current version of the game, that's just bad management and it is completely on SI. There is no reason for those two not matching. If you have to, you just wait 1-2 days for the release of new patch until the demo is also up to date. It's not like a new patch is released every day and demo can't keep up with it.

Edited by bleventozturk

It would be good if they put new ME in public beta.

Currently ME is good but need just to fix 1 on 1 situations in my opinion.

They fixed shooting from tight angles and fixed through balls in final third. So now 1 on 1 situations are next.

FM20 sold most copies in the franchise afaik or something like that, it gives a good indication to SI where the player base stands and if they’re satisfied with the game. So of course the majority will always prevail over the minority unless we’re talking politics but that’s for another day :D

What I’m saying is that people - who rightly so - complain about the ME, are in minority. Leaving “negative” reviews is completely normal and happens in every franchise. Why should SI listen to you when they’ve got millions of copies activated each year?

The “voice” will be heard only when you make a more informed decision when it comes to buying the game instead of going instinctively. In other words when you’ll stop rushing to buy the game.

Until then, happy gaming!

Edited by Armistice

Noticing a pattern in this thread that most of the frustrated users are those who continued their save from before the last update. I personally just abandoned my last save after update and started the new save. I'm not experiencing the problems to the extent people are describing here. No where near. May be it's just my tactics.

3 minutes ago, Armistice said:

FM20 sold most copies in the franchise afaik or something like that, it gives an indication to SI that the player base is satisfied enough with the game to buy it. So the majority will always prevail over the minority unless you’re talking about politics but that’s for another discussion :D

What I’m saying is that you’re pretty much a minority who leaves “negative” reviews and this happens in every franchise. Why should SI listen to you when they’ve got millions of copies activated each year?

“The voice” will be heard only when you make an informed decision when it comes to buying the game instead of going instinctively. In other words when this minority will become a bigger one and will stop buying the game.

Until then, happy gaming!

Enough with the debate "positive" vs "negative" feedback. It's not serious. SI is professional enough to take account both feedback.

12 minutes ago, Cadoni said:

Enough with the debate "positive" vs "negative" feedback. It's not serious. SI is professional enough to take account both feedback.

Negative feedback is not useful. Saying "THE MATCH ENGINE SUCKS!!!!!" or "WORST VERSION EVER!!!" does not help anyone. Negative feedback is not the problem. The whole point of the bug forums is to flag issues. The problem is giving constructive criticism. Saying why it is broken. Providing evidence why you think so. Listening to people who give you alternative explanations of why you are seeing what you are seeing. There are bugs in the ME, and other issues in other parts of the game. The community is vital in helping spot and fix these. Imagine how many hours of game time all the users have, compared to how long this game as in development. One of these numbers will dwarf the other. This is why community input is vital, and why any issues found should be reported in a sensible, constructive way. So that the devs can identify the issues, find what causes them, work out how to fix them. Just moaning about the game does not achieve this, it just clogs up threads and the useful posts get lost. 

The latter is part of the problem here, and why I normally steer clear of these threads. They quickly devolve into a small number of people moaning very loudly but not actually doing anything constructive that contributes to fixing the bugs. Nor is everything that is moaned about actually a bug, and a lot of people simply will not hear that it might be there fault. It makes this thread an exercise in futility. 

On the note of feedback, before being sidetracked the main reason I wanted to post on this thread was to ask if anyone else is noticing an inordinate number of offsides for fullbacks or wingers? I seem to be getting a lot of offside decisions in this region, and often it seems to be a case of a player standing offside, not trying to get back on, and still getting a pass. I want to see if it is something I am doing, or something other people are seeing. On a similar note, every time I have an attacking throwing close to the corner flag, the ball is played back to the guy who took the throw-in, and this player is invariably offside. Again, do other people see this? 

3 hours ago, MatthewS17 said:

Feel like you shouldn't assume everyone is in the same position as you. An expendable amount of money to you is a crucial amount of savings to someone else. That's some ignorant, privileged thinking right there.

If it's a crucial amount of savings, you probably shouldn't spend it on a video game though. Especially one you can try out beforehand via a demo. :ackter:

3 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Anyone who's not happy with something in the ME, please, please, please, upload your PKMs on the Bugs board, that's the only way you're going to have any effect  

Good luck you will need plenty. What have we achieved there in last two years? 

20 minutes ago, Mitja said:

Good luck you will need plenty. What have we achieved there in last two years? 

Man you are like an activist. As soon as there is a negative comment, you are the first one to jump on it to support the guy. You actually haven't provided any feedback whatsoever. All you have done in this thread is just pick the negative comments and add your own without actually providing any feedback. And you are in the demo and don't actually own the game as per your own comments. May be you think you are 'putting pressure' on SI this way but this activist mentality is not going to work. Every time I visit this thread all I see is your comments on almost every page. You are basically living in the forum since beta release. No problem with that but you are doing nothing but moan, moan and moan. It's getting boring now. Either add some value in a constructive way or stop polluting the place.

Edited by pats

50 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

Negative feedback is not useful. Saying "THE MATCH ENGINE SUCKS!!!!!" or "WORST VERSION EVER!!!" does not help anyone. Negative feedback is not the problem. The whole point of the bug forums is to flag issues. The problem is giving constructive criticism. Saying why it is broken. Providing evidence why you think so. Listening to people who give you alternative explanations of why you are seeing what you are seeing. There are bugs in the ME, and other issues in other parts of the game. The community is vital in helping spot and fix these. Imagine how many hours of game time all the users have, compared to how long this game as in development. One of these numbers will dwarf the other. This is why community input is vital, and why any issues found should be reported in a sensible, constructive way. So that the devs can identify the issues, find what causes them, work out how to fix them. Just moaning about the game does not achieve this, it just clogs up threads and the useful posts get lost. 

The latter is part of the problem here, and why I normally steer clear of these threads. They quickly devolve into a small number of people moaning very loudly but not actually doing anything constructive that contributes to fixing the bugs. Nor is everything that is moaned about actually a bug, and a lot of people simply will not hear that it might be there fault. It makes this thread an exercise in futility. 

On the note of feedback, before being sidetracked the main reason I wanted to post on this thread was to ask if anyone else is noticing an inordinate number of offsides for fullbacks or wingers? I seem to be getting a lot of offside decisions in this region, and often it seems to be a case of a player standing offside, not trying to get back on, and still getting a pass. I want to see if it is something I am doing, or something other people are seeing. On a similar note, every time I have an attacking throwing close to the corner flag, the ball is played back to the guy who took the throw-in, and this player is invariably offside. Again, do other people see this? 

Did you read my post before all of this no sense debate "positive" vs "negative"?

I don't see a bug report on these long balls over the top, plenty of threads without PKMs moaning about the one-ones, what good's that to anyone?

I might watch a few AI games later, see if I spot any but I'm out for the footy & boxing in a bit 

I'm currently playing both the classic mode and full fat mode, and as the classic mode hasn't been updated yet, gives me fresh eyes to appraise each version of the current match engine as I play each one. 

For what it's worth, I actually see very little difference in both versions. In the full game save (latest ME), I'm seeing a few more CCC's finished, and central play is a bit stronger.  In the classic mode (previous ME), there's slightly more reliance on wing play, and unless I play a CF up front, the main striker isn't quite as involved as I'd like, however still scores a decent amount of goals. I'm playing a similar tactic for both saves, albeit at different teams at different levels. I'm enjoying the classic save more at the moment, but that's probably because it's a Scottish save, so I'm more familiar with it. 

However, I am enjoying this year's game more than any other FM at the moment. FM14 and 17 were my two favourite versions previously, but FM20 (for me) is a more complete game than both of those). I just don't get the constant moaning for this version. I'm not seeing the issues mentioned in anywhere near the frequency that some bleat on about, and I do feel this year, that overly attacking play is being punished - not by scores, but by the decisions of the players and how the game plays out. Whilst the engine clearly has a few issues to resolve, some people should look closer to home and think harder about how to set up their teams this year, because that's seen a big change from previous versions, and a change for the better IMO. 

If you still think it's 'unplayable' (it isn't btw), then post as many examples as you can in the bugs forum instead of continually moaning on here. And if that's not enough, just go and do something else. It's a computer game, it's really not worth getting so angtsy about. Seriously. 

7 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

If you still think it's 'unplayable' (it isn't btw), then post as many examples as you can in the bugs forum instead of continually moaning on here. And if that's not enough, just go and do something else. It's a computer game, it's really not worth getting so angtsy about. Seriously. 

This :thup:

We're all playing different systems, in different leagues with different players, some like what they're seeing, some don't which is expected. Just get the reports up if you have a problem

I'm at level 8 with Chasetown, playing direct 4-4-2 & it's playing great but my other saves aren't so 

Just now, Johnny Ace said:

We're all playing different systems, in different leagues with different players,

This is another reason why I think SI have a next to impossible task and also why they should be commended for even getting a game of this quality out at all. There are thousands of combinations of tactics, leagues, and players. And that's before you even factor in all the mods and downloads. 

4 hours ago, bleventozturk said:

After testing the FM20 demo I went back to my FM17 save, and oh man, what a great ME that is compared to later versions. One can argue that the general match play in FM19 or 20 is more realistic, I can understand that. But do yourself a favor and just watch about 100 goals in FM19 or FM20 in AI vs AI matches, and goals only

I certainly agree with that. However, the upvoting of this as well as your own perception just confirms the (attacking) bias here at Play which I've noted for years. There's good reason why FM17 had varied Goals, one of which being that ist defending had been the most detached from Football in probably the past decade. FM17 is a release where lower league sides could pull EPL sides including their CBs all over the pitch (and successfully overload / crack their central defense) simply because of a man Advantage in the middle of the park. To me personally, it's one of the most baffling Things I've seen ever since playing this. And I don't mean the Goals, or the tackles, or anything. I mean structurally, how the Play would transpire from the Ground up due to such. It was Nothing much like Football at times, and undermined the Integrity of the AI vs AI simulated game world also. I can still understand what SI were trying to do with that mind. Which was adressing the open flanks of FM16, and providing the full backs with more cover.

However, I agree with the goals and sort of understand your Sentiment also -- this is just art imitating life -- strikers scoring plenty Goals Always have an Edge over world class defenders in most of the awards. Maybe SI should just Code the wide mids to stick out wide again during each team's defensive Phase, though, creating several seperate Units of defending on the pitch (wide midfielders helping out wide backs, central midfielders all alone on themselves), rather than a Team defending as a unit proper. A bit like in actual football.  (Kidding, of Course).

Edited by Svenc

16 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

some people should look closer to home and think harder about how to set up their teams this year, because that's seen a big change from previous versions, and a change for the better IMO.

It had been established countless times that the problems are not tactics-related, and yet, people like you can only come up with the good old "it'S yOuR tAcTIcs!!4" answer.

If you don't think chance conversion is an issue, prove all those examples wrong.

If you agree that it is an issue, admit that it's not the user's fault.

Fail to do either of those options, and you are nothing but a biased, unreasonable fanboy.

6 minutes ago, joemez1193 said:

*ball lumped long by an opposition defender*

"my centre back will deal with that all day long"

*centre back stands still and then stutters when he starts chasing the attacker... goalllllll*

"who cares at least I've got a social media feed"

:rolleyes: 

You haven't raised a single bug report about this, can I ask why not?

26 minutes ago, Svenc said:

I certainly agree with that. However, the upvoting of this as well as your own perception just confirms the (attacking) bias here at Play which I've noted for years. There's good reason why FM17 had varied Goals, one of which being that ist defending had been the most detached from Football in probably the past decade. FM17 is a release where lower league sides could pull EPL sides including their CBs all over the pitch (and successfully overload / crack their central defense) simply because of a man Advantage in the middle of the park. To me personally, it's one of the most baffling Things I've seen ever since playing this. And I don't mean the Goals, or the tackles, or anything. I mean structurally, how the Play would transpire from the Ground up due to such. It was Nothing much like Football at times, and undermined the Integrity of the AI vs AI simulated game world also. I can still understand what SI were trying to do with that mind. Which was adressing the open flanks of FM16, and providing the full backs with more cover.

However, I agree with the goals and sort of understand your Sentiment also -- this is just art imitating life -- strikers scoring plenty Goals Always have an Edge over world class defenders in most of the awards. Maybe SI should just Code the wide mids to stick out wide again during each team's defensive Phase, though, creating several seperate Units of defending on the pitch (wide midfielders helping out wide backs, central midfielders all alone on themselves), rather than a Team defending as a unit proper. A bit like in actual football.  (Kidding, of Course).

It's true about man advantage but you are generalising some formations were more affected some less and don't forget it was the first release where attack duty forwards didn't track back. Even if it wasn't the most realistic it was fun and challenging, there were attacking actions that were never seen after. Simple footballing stuff, like one-twos, short passes into space it felt like real football much more. If you watched Liverpool Bornemouth now every third pass is into space (short one), all teams are doing once in final third is play one-twos into space. I don't remember I've seen one such action in fm20. All you have now is players (fullbacks) running down the line and set pieces. That's The difference. Was it perfect? No I can't go back. Is this ME playable? Yes and some stuff is impressive. But it lacks what's the most important.

Edited by Mitja

12 minutes ago, Mitja said:

It's true about man advantage but you are generalising some formations were more affected some less and don't forget it was the first release where attack duty forwards didn't track back. 

It wasn't, actually. Going back more recent to FM12, Forwards in General oft wouldn'T track back there also. The Point About the formations was kinda moot to me, as the AI isn't coded around any ME's shortcomings. I saw what I saw. It's actually one of the few Releases I would have never bought/played personally. The entire base structure was flawed, from the Ground up. Whilst 4-4-2s were affected the most, the same principle applied to all formations. Man Edge in the middle of the park, and the side would be Right in there, even 3rd division vs EPL. I think it's important to Point this out also as one of the reasons why Goals scored on that release are perceived to be more varied was precisely that weakness. Now that that weakness is no more, the attacking Play naturally has to Play catch-up.

Then again, it's Always been argued by many that there is a balance to be struck between "realism" and "fun". I'm personally more of a "realism" guy. I'd even welcome if the game were to simulate actually severe realistic finishing streaks, e.g. even CR7 on the Occasion not scoring for months, despite racking up enough chances to at least score 15+ (first half of Real Madrid 2017/2018 Season). :D Not necessarily to make the game "harder". Remember that we may Benefit from this also, on the Occasion. For every side underperforming, there is one climbing up the tables. Could be ours. 

Edited by Svenc

6 minutes ago, Svenc said:

It wasn't, actually. Going back more recent to FM12, Forwards in General oft wouldn'T track back there also. The Point About the formations was kinda moot to me, as the AI isn't coded around any ME's shortcomings. I saw what I saw. It's actually one of the few Releases I would have never bought/played personally. The entire base structure was flawed, from the Ground up. Whilst 4-4-2s were affected the most, the same principle applied to all formations. Man Edge in the middle of the park, and the side would be Right in there, even 3rd division vs EPL. I think it's important to Point this out also as one of the reasons why Goals scored on that release are perceived to be more varied was precisely that weakness. Now that that weakness is no more, the attacking Play naturally has to Play catch-up.

Then again, it's Always been argued by many that there is a balance to be struck between "realism" and "fun". I'm personally more of a "realism" guy. I'd even welcome if the game were to simulate actually severe realistic finishing streaks, e.g. even CR7 on the Occasion not scoring for months, despite racking up enough chances to at least score 15+ (first half of Real Madrid 2017/2018 Season). :D Not necessarily to make the game "harder". Remember that we may Benefit from this also, on the Occasion. For every side underperforming, there is one climbing up the tables. Could be ours. 

You often raise some interesting points about the ME in past versions Svenc, I would be interested to know which ME from FM12 to FM20 you would consider to be the one that most resembles real football.

11 minutes ago, Svenc said:

Whilst 4-4-2s were affected the most, the same principle applied to all formations. Man Edge in the middle of the park, and the side would be Right in there, e

FM16? Yeah but you forget this thing has always been like that it was there in fm19, it's wasn't there only in fm17 (lol). even now, while really improved only in fm20 positioning of MCs is still bad, players still chase players-then run back-then chase again while all they need to do is stay where they are and do nothing. It's like that since first 2D came out. In 442 support duty striker still doesn't know what he's doing. Etc. 

Edited by Mitja

Been reading a few of the 'career update' threads in that section of the forum today, always enjoy hearing about other people's saves. And then it hit me. 

Hardly any of the people who post in that part of the forum are found anywhere near here. And yet, there they are, loving their saves and being passionate about sharing their stories online. 

But, but, how can this be if the game is a 'broken, unplayable mess'? *

*Clue - it isn't. 

31 minutes ago, Mitja said:

FM16? Yeah but you forget this thing has always been like that it was there in fm19, it's wasn't there only in fm17 (lol). even now, while really improved only in fm20 positioning of MCs is still bad, players still chase players-then run back-then chase again while all they need to do is stay where they are and do nothing. It's like that since first 2D came out. In 442 support duty striker still doesn't know what he's doing. Etc. 

The Thing I was refereing to was a FM17 Special, a one-off luckily. Pitches in Football or Nintendo World Cup are controlled in the centre of the pitch, which also happens to be the shortest distance to the Goal. No wonder that there was varied Play this easily. Sorry for the OT. :D 

https://community.sigames.com/topic/401732-concerning-tactical-issue/
https://community.sigames.com/topic/392272-workaround-for-wide-midfielder-defensive-positioning/
https://community.sigames.com/topic/389441-wide-player-defensive-positioning-discussion/#comments

22 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

The absolute state of people on here trying to justify it by saying "its only £40" so we should just suck it up. I generally save up to buy FM and Madden each year so it's a pretty special purchase. Incredible that we as the consumer should be told just to accept the flaws and mediocrity

as i said, If Arsenal was a video game it would be football manager..

Nobody said you should suck it up because it's only 40 quid. But you get the feeling that some people are very much exaggerating in this thread

3 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

But you get the feeling that some people are very much exaggerating in this thread

Just a tad, aye. 

However, it's exactly the same every single year. The only thing that changes is what gets moaned about. Have a perusal of the feedback threads of the older games. Page after page of 'unplayable' and 'broken'. 

It's all good fun though, Always funny to see how the other half live. 

Hello! 

Like everywhere negativity from a few beats the people who are satisfied and therefore more silent. a long time FM-player here but have had a few years off, due to many things. Have bought this years version of the game. My question is simple and hopefully someone with a balanced view can give me an honest answer. Because I don't really believe the game is that bad some people say on this forum. Is the game with the current patch balanced enough for starting a long term save or should I wait for the Christmas update? 

Don't have the energy to search for this answers myself. If someone with some hours playing this game have some time over to answer I would be very happy. 

Many thanks in advance! 😊

53 minutes ago, Mitja said:

Look at the amount of people who care a little more about the game in this thread, how many people are not satisfied? I've seen many.

Curiously, has this ever been overly much different? The GD big thread in particular plays roughly the same every Season to me, give or take. (I have been "guilty" of focusing exclusively on the negative Things in the past myself). You can switch the hot Topics accordingly to any release's perceived issues, but in my mind it's all a blur by now. :D I'm involved with quite a few gaming communities (I've even made a couple Posts on the notoriously toxic / pessimistic RPG Codex). However FM's seems quite Special. May be the emotional Attachement involved, some of the inherent randomness, how the subject matter simulated isn't an exact science (and such up for debate and opinion) and lots more. Curiously, it's all a part of what keeps me coming back though. :D FM isn't merely a game, if successful, it is also an interesting crowd experiment and look into a player's Psyche. And sometimes, on the odd Occasion it's successfully art bits and bytes imitating life, as not every single issue perceived throughout the years may have been a game issue.

Football Manager, bloody hell.

Edited by Svenc

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just won 1-0, my tactic now is simply to push my side as high up the park as possible and press teams back.

Scored through a long shot as my midfielders are so high up the park, gave away 7 instances of the opposition being clean through as the simply knocked it over my defence, every single one saved by my keeper.

Feels pretty poor you can exploit it that easily, was a genuine challenge in previous patches to find a tactic that worked for me.

Are you still Saints? I've found a similar thing in the lower leagues where it becomes about exploiting tendencies from the ME rather than trying to get a realistic style, but not sure if this more for the Scottish leagues or similar in all of them.

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just won 1-0, my tactic now is simply to push my side as high up the park as possible and press teams back.

Scored through a long shot as my midfielders are so high up the park, gave away 7 instances of the opposition being clean through as the simply knocked it over my defence, every single one saved by my keeper.

Feels pretty poor you can exploit it that easily, was a genuine challenge in previous patches to find a tactic that worked for me.

With the current 1v1 conversion rate that would have resulted in three goals against me, so I guess there are some limitations on who can actually exploit that.