Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, (as I have only just started playing this year's version prepare for a lot of 'late to the party style comments) I am having nae problems with one on ones. In my pre-season I've seen me score 3 and the AI score 2 agin me...

14 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

This is categorically untrue.

What is? The match engine is calculated before we see the highlights. I know this can change based on subs etc but there would be no other way to show the highlights. 

How the stats go up against each other is then black magic (to us mortals) under the hood.

1 hour ago, Svenc said:

There may be a Connection here (apart of the frequency of 1 on 1s). To me it's too early to Judge, but similar to the match I had analyzed yesterday, a lot of the one on ones are finished from really tough angles. And not Always does the Player have the opportunity to square it. In parts this seems to be because the wideish Players have it rather easy to get behind the lines. Fixing that would bring the frequency itself down all alone. If more balls were played through centralish Areas, then the finisher may end up at different angles. However, through balls bang through the middle meanwhile may give the Forward typically lesser time. From a slightly angle, the ball tends to be played more straight in his runningn path.

I think you've nailed it here, it does seems a little easy for players to get between the lines, especially out wide which it turn brings all of these wide chances & missed 1-on-1s 

Edited by Johnny Ace

41 minutes ago, Marselos said:

https://youtu.be/v_qmmYB8uIQ

Could someone explain please what's going on here? My goalkeeper just put the ball in his net in the most important game of the season against MU. I hope it's going to be patched because it's very frustrating and unrealistic, I just don't want to play this game after this kind of moments

That is really bad 😂

Sorry to laugh I know it is infuriating. Save the match and upload the PKM and time of incident in the bugs forum.

14 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

Right now, a member of SI is telling you that it isn't :)

The Match Engine processes matches in two ways, full detail or not full detail. Full detail is the only type your team's matches can be processed in. This runs the match, one half at a time, second-by-second, calculating every decision along the way through countless variables, including each player's full attributes. Every time something changes, no matter how big or small, such as making a tactical tweak or substitution, the remainder of the half is re-run with these changes included. This process is then repeated for the second half, starting with any half-time changes.

The match happens live, but it happens live in seconds. The graphical engine and your chosen level of highlights allow you to watch this match at a speed from which you can ascertain what is happening and then stop it to make changes at any point you desire, forcing the remainder of the match to be run again with your changes included, either up until the end of the half or until further alterations are made.

40 minutes ago, DP said:

What is? The match engine is calculated before we see the highlights. I know this can change based on subs etc but there would be no other way to show the highlights. 

How the stats go up against each other is then black magic (to us mortals) under the hood.

2 posts further down :thup:.

Sup people, Not going to sit here and slag off the game or match engines etc. Doing well enough with pompey sitting in a play off position in February after an awful start....however! Has anyone else seen their team hitting the woodwork incredibly regularly? I mean honestly in almost every match my team hits the woodwork 1-2 times? Does that seem normal or no? The examples ive added, are my last 4 games. Is my team just really good at finding the woodwork lol

Just wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing this :)

Thanks!

woodwork 1.png

woodwork 2.png

woodwork 3.png

woodwork 4.png

Does anyone else think the star rating for roles/ability change too much? I had Pepe as 4.5 stars, playing really well, went out injured for a few weeks and when he came back listed as 3 stars. No attributes changed, no change to my squad so why the big change after a few weeks? It also seems a bit too dependent on average rating and fluctuates too much for my liking, as does potential ability.

Edited by hazzabish

3 минуты назад, hazzabish сказал:

Does anyone else think the star rating for roles/ability change too much? I had Pepe as 4.5 stars, playing really well, went out injured for a few weeks and when he came back listed as 3 stars. No attributes changed, no change to my squad so why the big change after a few weeks? It also seems a bit too dependent on average rating and fluctuates too much for my liking, as does potential ability.

I always confused about this rating. For example I had Alex Blin from Tolouse in my club in FM19 and scouts/coaches report me about he poor for league and for team, but he had all atributes I need and was a important part of my succesfull team

7 minutes ago, hazzabish said:

I feel the same way. It was even more drastic in the beta, but it still seems to be a slight issue in the full game. I’ve also seen players being rated lower than expected, like Haaland, yet when I buy them, the star ratings are completely different. 

9 minutes ago, hazzabish said:

Maybe someone in team got better? It's in relation to the whole squad remember, not an individual thing 

Just now, zachalxnder said:

I feel the same way. It was even more drastic in the beta, but it still seems to be a slight issue in the full game. I’ve also seen players being rated lower than expected, like Haaland, yet when I buy them, the star ratings are completely different. 

Different people's opinions, your scouts rate them then when you bring them in your coaching staff rate them so they most likely will have different views on a player  

Just now, Johnny Ace said:

Different people's opinions, your scouts rate them then when you bring them in your coaching staff rate them so they most likely will have different views on a player  

Is it possible that scouts’ ratings this year are a bit harsher? The opinions seem to be more divergent than last year. 

8 minutes ago, rafaelbenitez said:

Technical director I managed to hire at the start of the game:

20191124192340-1.jpg

Could probably be the best manager in the world if he wanted to!

I see this a lot, so many data analysts with amazing coaching attributes but will never want to be a coach/assman. 

6 hours ago, robinthebest said:

do your realize all your highlights are from crossing?

4 hours ago, KlaaZ said:

Do you realise that, especially against packed defenses but also more in general, most goals to some extent come from crossing? :)

4 hours ago, axehan1 said:

It's there if you play it the right way, I've seen balls over the top, through balls from AM to PF, cutbacks, crosses.

4 hours ago, emil_sbn said:

I think he wants to show that players do pass and cross when they should and not ALWAYS shoot as so many claim they do.

I think the ME is really good at this state too good job SI!

4 hours ago, robinthebest said:

the point is, he says he is loving the ME, yet he shows all the highlights are goals from crossing.

At least shows some variety eh?

Exactly, @emil_sbn I was simply trying to show that the wingbacks and wingers do cross the ball. Another person was saying that he had issues with wide players shooting into the side of the net (I had problems with this too previously) and it was driving him crazy. I see a nice variety of assist locations from my team and the AI. Would love to see more assists centrally, but they are there.

3 hours ago, Etebaer said:

Long Balls reign supreme. my DLP seems not to know he has DEFENDING DUTY and is anywhere far of the music while the Defenders move farther from my Goal than the the oponent Strikers who have no offside in their own half thus humongous amounts of space to exploit.

I mean that just sounds like you are playing a very high line without the players to pull it off. Drop the line deeper, and you will stop getting killed by long balls. 

Any news regarding WB/FB/Wingers wasting every single shot to side netting instead of passing to striker who is  now entirely useless? It makes game unplayable. This is so far worst FM I have played.... 3 different teams, 3 different tactics and same **** happening all the time. Also these striker mishaps. Lukaku always going wide, Martinez doesn´t even shoot at target

17 minutes ago, Enrik01 said:

Any news regarding WB/FB/Wingers wasting every single shot to side netting instead of passing to striker who is  now entirely useless? It makes game unplayable. This is so far worst FM I have played.... 3 different teams, 3 different tactics and same **** happening all the time. Also these striker mishaps. Lukaku always going wide, Martinez doesn´t even shoot at target

It's under review. FWIW, my support duty AML/AMR and fullbacks do not do this, so it's possible to reduce these instances quite a bit in some cases.

4 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

It's under review. FWIW, my support duty AML/AMR and fullbacks do not do this, so it's possible to reduce these instances quite a bit in some cases.

That's not really a fix though, is it?I mean I could switch mine to support but why would an attack duty make them shoot from the byline? :/

14 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

It´s nice that there is some way to avoid this but... We want to use our own tactics without sacrificing our immersion due to a bug. 

Just now, Enrik01 said:

It´s nice that there is some way to avoid this but... We want to use our own tactics without sacrificing our immersion due to a bug. 

He literally just said it's being looked it to, it'll be fixed :thup:

1 minute ago, Enrik01 said:

Which, again, is why it's under review. It's a balancing act between pass vs shoot vs run decision making.

I base my decisions on what I'm seeing. Right now, I'm seeing players cross when I don't want them to, so I ask them to cross less often. I see the same with shooting, so I ask for more risky passes and shooting less often.

I wish the old mentoring system would make a comeback. It was clear and obvious what to do then. Now it just feels like a lottery, with many of my players' determination dropping for no apparent reason. At least in the old days I could find model citizens/perfectionists etc. and know they would have a positive influence.

Edited by hazzabish

il y a 1 minute, hazzabish a dit :

I wish the old mentoring system would make a comeback. It was clear and obvious what to do then. Now it just feels like a lottery, with many of my players' determination dropping for no apparent reason. At least in the old days I could find model citizens/perfectionists etc. and know they would have a positive influence.

That was way too easy lol

So no one has noticed that the ME on medium is too quick and too slow one notch down? Or that the ME is laggy and juddery?  Or that matches seem to be played in the dark?  Or that the match text zips by?

Think I'll uninstall the demo and keep an eye on how people think it improves as time goes on.  Deleted my 19 game as well and going to start all over again on FM17 as IMO that was the last stable'ish incarnation there was.

Edited by Sussex Hammer

vor einer Stunde schrieb sporadicsmiles:

I mean that just sounds like you are playing a very high line without the players to pull it off. Drop the line deeper, and you will stop getting killed by long balls. 

Well, i do not Play very high and the movement of the Players was different aka better in FM19.

Indeed was the Resolution so far to move the Players even more Forward...

Edited by Etebaer

5 minutes ago, Sussex Hammer said:

So no one has noticed that the ME on medium is too quick and too slow one notch down? Or that the ME is laggy and juddery?  Or that matches seem to be played in the dark?  Or that the match text zips by?

Think I'll uninstall the demo and keep an eye on how people think it improves as time goes on.  Deleted my 19 game as well and going to start all over again on FM17 as IMO that was the last stable'ish incarnation there was.

No, I haven't noticed any of that.  It looks the same as all the previous editions to me.  Match speed during text-only highlights is set to Faster by default and between highlights to Very Fast, so that might be it?

1 hour ago, RDF Tactics said:

can someone please check this bug out? its been reported twice and nobody has yet to see it. its restricting people creating new saves and it's very annoying

Upon creating my save i noticed there was an issue when fiddling about with the DBs.
But i went ahead and created my normal game as usual, adding as many players as possible which was ca 380k players upon start.
When i clicked through small, medium and large db i saw that the amount of players changed and became static. Can't remember how many players it showed me though.

I've gone 1 1/2 half season now and my player count is 367k,
So i suspect it's only an UI issue.
But, when reading the linked thread over again, the issue i noticed might be a different one.

Edited by roykela

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, hazzabish said:

At least it was clear.

The old tutoring system in the way you describe was exploitable, which is one of the reasons we replaced it with mentoring.

What is it about mentoring that you find unclear? How would you improve this?

1 hour ago, Sussex Hammer said:

This!I thought it was me, I like to read the text between highlights but it flies by even when set slower, then I set it to slow & it moves at snail's pace 

3 hours ago, Sussex Hammer said:

ME is stuttering every few seconds for me. I have a gtx 1060 and run most modern games fine.

16 hours ago, KlaaZ said:

The thing is, I'm not missing 15 one on ones each game. It seems pretty much impossible to even create that many. But if you feel it's that big a problem, head over to the bugs forum, open a thread and upload pkm's of those games so the devs can have a look at them. 

And yes, you can create a hell of a lot of shots. It's a sandbox game, where pretty much anything is possible with the right instructions and setup. But there's a difference between shots and chances. 

If any manager or match analyst on tv came out and tried to say that possession and shots on target were not a good metric to how well a team played, they'd be laughed off, and rightly so. sorry, but trying to defend this current Me with this weak argument is straying way too far into fanboyism 

Edited by Serptimo

1 minute ago, Serptimo said:

If any manager or match analyst on tv came out and tried to say that possession and shots on target were not a good metric to how well a team played, they'd be laughed off, and rightly so. sorry, but trying to defend this current Me with this weak argument is straying way too far into fanboyism 

If possession were a good metric then Arsenal should really be higher up the table irl :D
Possession doesn't necessarily indicate anything other than that the team saw a lot of the ball. What did they actually do with it?
Shots on target could be plentiful. But how good were those shots?  You could have 1,10, 20, 60 shots on target. But if they were all terrible shots that didn't really threaten at all then it wouldn't say much, if you judge the numbers by their face value.
Why, when and how are very important.

Arguing a point does not equal defending the ME.

5 minutes ago, Serptimo said:

Interesting first post. It's almost as if it's an alias account...

1 minute ago, Serptimo said:

https://sporza.be/nl/matches/voetbal/proximus-league/2019-2020/periode-1/03/oh-leuven-beerschot-va/

Visitors had 80% possession in the opening 15 minutes but could just not break into the final third. OHL scored from its first two chances, one from a corner and one from a very fluent counterattack.

https://sporza.be/nl/2019/09/30/karel-fraeye-over-topper-tussen-ohl-en-beerschot/

Same teams, same spectacle. Beerschot had the ball, a ridiculous twentysomething attempts, but apart from one that hit the woodwork and a penalty kick that went in, only one or two of those looked really dangerous. OHL barely created anything but scored some very clean goals from what were actually the better chances. In both cases, they recorded a deserved win. 

Quality trumps quantity, every time. 

That said, I don't think this ME is perfect. I do think that the comments are way too harsh and that it is by far the most polished ME I've ever seen. 

12 minutes ago, Serptimo said:

Yeah, that's why TV match analysts tend to be the laughed off by actual analysts. :D (Granted, it's easy to get shots on target purely from the set piece as to FM, and headers under pressure are oft easy pick ups for the keeper, but that'd me going into repeat mode). Bottom line, not every shot is equal opportunity. Never has been, never will be.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/feb/24/football-numbers-game-gary-neville
https://statsbomb.com/2016/10/xcommentary/
https://www.theringer.com/soccer/2018/6/27/17511596/2018-world-cup-germany-south-korea-mexico-sweden-elimination

Edited by Svenc