Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

2 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

Is Aubameyang playing as a striker?  In my experience the AI has wanted to play him as an inside forward on the left, using Lacazette as the central striker.

He is. Lacazette seems to be in the treatment room more than he's on the pitch. Has only started once in sixteen games.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry. I know it has been specified that the Day1 ME was not change with the last patch, but i have the same feeling than others here that team patterns on match day is back to beta. Only long shot scoring, no attempt at passing to the strikers, a lot of goal attempt from impossible angles... This results in very frustrating games to watch. The first version was very good for me, this patch did something to the ME, although i cannot prove it ,the way the experience changed suddenly with the same teams and same tactics makes it obvious in my experience. The patch seems to have managed to fix the penalties issue though.

@IcyI would ad, the impossible angle attempts for inside forwards and the way wingers or FB stop their running if they get passed their opponents, waiting for the defender to get back in place to block the squaring rather than attempt direct squaring as soon as they are clear from opposition.

8 hours ago, rdbayly said:

Question about wage contributions from selling clubs:

Scenario: I have a bid accepted which includes a 20k p/w contribution from the selling club. Is this amount in addition to what the player demands from my club, or will the selling club pay 20k of what I agree for his salary? This isn't clear on the negotiations screen and I feel it would be a good inclusion.  

The wage contribution comes out of the wage you agree with the player, up until the end of their contract with the selling club. Therefore, if you agree a £60k/week wage with the player, and you'd agreed a £20k/week contribution from the selling club, you'd pay £40k/week until his first contract ends (with the selling team paying £20k/week), and then you'd be paying £60k/week from then on.

Edited by JordanMillward_1

19 hours ago, KUBI said:

Strange decisions are part of real football too. Does it happen regularly? Is there a pattern? Then it could be a bug. Otherwise it is just bad defending in one match.

There are 20+ pages of people complaining about the same problems with the match engine and it will continue like this. What an odd question to ask given the current environment.

e1be089068.jpg

I love watching my players shoot from this angle 20 times a match. Exhilarating stuff.

As soon as a player decides to shoot that's it. Nothing will stop him shooting. A pass is on? What's a pass?

608c388077.jpg

Edited by Dickie Greenleaf

1 minute ago, Dickie Greenleaf said:

There are 20+ pages of people complaining about the same problems with the match engine and it will continue like this. What an odd question to ask given the current environment.

e1be089068.jpg

I love watching my players shoot from this angle 20 times a match. Exhilarating stuff.

Yeah, this one in particular happens way too often.  It is, I think, the biggest problem with the ME right now.  I need to get back in PKM mode and report more of these.

Striking movement isn't quire as good as I'd like, and I'd like to see more stuff happen centrally.  I'd also like to see more passes in 2-on-1 and 3-on-2 situations.  There are a few too many penalties, too.  That said, most of the play I see seems pretty logical, and I prefer this ME to 19's, 17's and 16's at least.  I've definitely gotten some Robben-style goals from Reiss Nelson, Emile Smith-Rowe and Pepe, and if I can find 'em I'll upload a highlight or two.

I'm really not liking this version.

FM19's Dark Skin was really good, would love that back tbh.

Its like the new version of the Dark Skin is trying to be too fancy but infact, it makes it look like an older version of FM. 

I hate the bright colours thrown in with it also.

Might just stick to FM19 with Pro's update.

40 minutes ago, Icy said:

- Midfielders not taking risk on through balls and instead passing to the open man in the wing. Feels like they need a player to be in an open space of at least 5 meters around him to decide to pass to him.

I'm convinced this is it. SI are right that generally you opt for players in space, but not always.

Defenders aren't acidic, they can be shrugged off, they can be turned, you can move the ball quickly before they engage. Playing the ball into a tight space will always be inherently risky, but it's still a viable option and one that usually contributes to a key chance if executed well in an advanced area. 

For me, one of the clearest signs of a player excelling is his ability to operate in tight spaces without being disposessed. You just don't see this at all in FM, rather than carry it forward they punt an immaculate 50 yard ball into the space, then recycle back to the edge of the area. 

Even with the likes of Messi, who irl can regularly seemingly slip through a crowd of 3 or 4 players with a drop of the shoulder and a thousand micro touches. Instead in FM, his prowess is defined by how well he can anticipate a cross, or how accurate his long-ranged finish is. 

Edited by dannyfc

1 hour ago, seagull84 said:

Were there more changes than publicised with the match engine in yesterday's update. The difference between pre patch and post has been huge for me

- majority of penalties missed

- lack of goals from open play

- strikers not scoring

- So many unintelligent shots from crossing/passing positions

The release version of the match engine was great,  it feels like it went back to the first version during Beta overnight. 

Happy to bet proven wrong but thought I'd raise it and see if others were noticing a big difference

I have runs of the gameplay being genuinely incredible, and then runs where the players are absolute morons.

Its realistic though, for me. Your team shouldn't be perfect every single game.

Understand people are complaining about every game being like this, but just my experience that it's just 3/4 games out of 11/12 odd that I'm seeing any poor play, and I'm happier about that than if my middling side were pinging through balls and passing rings around the opposition every single game.

Just  simmed a 10 game opening weekend in the Premiership sat & watched 3 of them & see pretty much the same as what I see in my games

24 goals scored, 3 by strikers, 2 for Vardy & one for Bobby Firmhino, 24 strikers played & 2 of them score

Anyone tried strikerless yet? :D

1 hour ago, JDownie said:

SI should introduce a new attribute specifically for 1v1s. 

Isn't that "finishing"?

1 hour ago, RTHerringbone said:

When people talk about strikers finishing, what sort of return are they looking for? I'm intrigued

I'd like not to be surprised when my striker with 19 finishing and 16 composure actually score 1v1.

Biggest advice I can give with the current ME to make the games feel better and flow better and get all those create chances and strikers scoring.

Sit deep and play more direct passing, and play wide.  All the things you feel you wouldn't do as a top club, but believe me watching the matches becomes much better when you do.

Just now, Iwabik said:

Isn't that "finishing"?

I'd like not to be surprised when my striker with 19 finishing and 16 composure actually score 1v1.

No. Finishing is a player's ability to shoot/score. 

1v1s take a lot of different attributes into account - or they should at least - such as finishing, anticipation, dribbling, composure, technique. 

I am suggesting an attribute specifically stating how good a player is when 1v1 against a goalkeeper. As someone on the past page said - when Kane is 1v1 you feel he is going to score, but with Lukaku not so much. The difference in their actual finishing attribute is negligible. 

1 hour ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I'm looking for the game to be at least a bit more realistic.
As in strikers being top scorers, or at least regularly breaking the 20 goals in the league mark.
If Sterling is top EPL scorer with 18 goals in the first season of my save, you can't deny something's wrong.

And them scoring "striker" goals. You know, winger passing it in the middle after beating his man instead of blasting it towards the near post or running all the way to the byline and then playing a backpass to a midfielder.

As someone wrote before, difference between strikers in beta and now is that the conversion rate is good, but they're not getting any passes when they're wide open.

You may want to get better statistical data. In my first season:

Serie A: Ronaldo with 28 goals
Ligue 1: Mbappé with 29 goals
Premier League: Kane with 26 goals
La Liga: Suarez with 22 goals

Whilst not perfect (as stated many times, getting Messi to fire the same way he does in real life is next to impossible), this shows that it's very much possible to get a top goalscorer with (way) over 20 goals. 

3 minutes ago, JDownie said:

No. Finishing is a player's ability to shoot/score. 

1v1s take a lot of different attributes into account - or they should at least - such as finishing, anticipation, dribbling, composure, technique. 

I am suggesting an attribute specifically stating how good a player is when 1v1 against a goalkeeper. As someone on the past page said - when Kane is 1v1 you feel he is going to score, but with Lukaku not so much. The difference in their actual finishing attribute is negligible. 

What's the point of attribute that'd be just combination of other attributes? Also the in-game definition of finishing is "the player's ability to put the ball in the back of the net when presented with a chance". Currently I feel like it completely doesn't matter how good player is and 1v1s are completely, completely random.

1 minute ago, Dickie Greenleaf said:

8303aac216.jpg

what does the player do here in 10/10 situations when presented with a similar opportunity

a) picks an onrushing player out to create a 1 on 1

b) run to the byline and shoot from an impossible angle

c) shoot from where he is standing

d) cross it all the way to the opposite touchline

b?

8 minutes ago, Dickie Greenleaf said:

Have SI shown any actual acknowledgement of the 24 pages here(so far), the hundreds of deleted posts of constructive feedback(for marketability no doubt), and countless other threads/posts with PKMs all sitting on 0 downloads.

All these pointing towards the issues with the ME. Perhaps show us some transparancy?

Constructive feedback here is never deleted, you're doing yourself no favor making stuff up really. 

Apart from that, the wide men shooting from the byline has been picked up in the bugs forum by the devs, ball out wide preference and striker finishing is under review. So there's plenty of transparency there, if you want to see it instead of rant that is. 

1 minute ago, Iwabik said:

What's the point of attribute that'd be just combination of other attributes? Also the in-game definition of finishing is "the player's ability to put the ball in the back of the net when presented with a chance". Currently I feel like it completely doesn't matter how good player is and 1v1s are completely, completely random.

Well it wouldn't be an attribute that is a combination of other attributes...it would be a new attribute giving a specific value to a player in a 1v1 situation. 

And yes it does feel completely random, hence my suggestion. If it can be coded that a player with 20 1v1s is 95% likely to score a 1v1 whereas a player with 5 is only 10% likely, then it would presumably lead to an increase in 1v1 goals scored. 

12 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

You may want to get better statistical data. In my first season:

Serie A: Ronaldo with 28 goals
Ligue 1: Mbappé with 29 goals
Premier League: Kane with 26 goals
La Liga: Suarez with 22 goals

Whilst not perfect (as stated many times, getting Messi to fire the same way he does in real life is next to impossible), this shows that it's very much possible to get a top goalscorer with (way) over 20 goals. 

The key word here being your FIRST season!

I am 4 seasons in playing from day 1 beta release everything was running great strikers getting around the 20 mark for the league and a lot more overall when you include the other competitions. It was only when I hit my 4th season when the first patch came out and it messed everything right up!

It's either a save game impact thing here where the original Beta players are feeling the brunt of the impact or it's something that kicks in like a hidden slider after a certain time period. Only way I can logically explain how it is not effecting a number of people who are very early into the game.

I have 4 quality strikers Haaland, Osimhen, Pelligri and Jovic with Haaland being the best of the bad bunch with wait for it ..3 goals in 20 games!

in the 2 seasons before that he got 19 in 32 and 20 in 36, something has nerfed for some of us strikers being able to do their job!

Edited by FMLegend1983

6 minutes ago, Dickie Greenleaf said:

8303aac216.jpg

what does the player do here in 10/10 situations when presented with a similar opportunity

a) picks an onrushing player out to create a 1 on 1

b) run to the byline and shoot from an impossible angle

c) shoot from where he is standing

d) cross it all the way to the opposite touchline

In the setup I use right now, Croatian 2nd div, they would be crossing.

1 minute ago, FMLegend1983 said:

I am 4 seasons in playing from day 1 beta release everything running great strikers getting aeound the 20 mark for the league and a lot more when you include the other competitions it wasa when I hit my 4th season when the first patch came out and it messed everything right up!

It's either a save game impact thing here where the original Beta players are feeling the brunt of the impact or it's something that kicks in like a hidden slider after a certain time only way I can logically explain how it is not effecting a number of people who are very early into the game.

I have 4 quality strikers Haaland, Osimhen, Pelligri and Jovic with Haaland being the best of the bunch with wait for it 3 goals in 20 games!

in the 2 seasons before that he got 19 in 32 and 20 in 36 something has nerfed for some of us strikers being able to do their job!

Or they're just in terrible form. Or teams are just setting up more defensively against you, actively limiting space for your strikers to operate in. It's not because your strikers stop scoring after three seasons that there something changed or is wrong with the ME. I can only say that my main striker scored 20 goals last season and is right on track to repeat that. :)

2 minutes ago, FMLegend1983 said:

I am 4 seasons in playing from day 1 beta release everything running great strikers getting aeound the 20 mark for the league and a lot more when you include the other competitions it wasa when I hit my 4th season when the first patch came out and it messed everything right up!

It's either a save game impact thing here where the original Beta players are feeling the brunt of the impact or it's something that kicks in like a hidden slider after a certain time only way I can logically explain how it is not effecting a number of people who are very early into the game.

I have 4 quality strikers Haaland, Osimhen, Pelligri and Jovic with Haaland being the best of the bunch with wait for it 3 goals in 20 games!

in the 2 seasons before that he got 19 in 32 and 20 in 36 something has nerfed for some of us strikers being able to do their job!

Before and after ME change...:

Untitled.png.31a1b1948b88c5c233eeee173714d2e9.png

Bullshit.thumb.PNG.53473509d87e30e29c3255ead40cf837.PNG

Honestly, this is beginning to be a bit too much for me. I took the screenshots more out of frustration than anything else. Whereas these aren't so bad, as it's only 3 shots(excluding the saved ones), it's being about 6 or so for the last matches, and frankly, it makes me want to throw my laptop out the window. What's amazing is that this was an issue since the beginning, and yet still made it into the game, I'm sorry, but this is not in any way fun or interesting anymore. Waiting for January for an update that may or may not fix the problem is inconsiderate, given I've just bought the damn game. It's feeling like last year all over again.

929103983_MoreNonsense.thumb.PNG.b7989c1eda09368bca66682b314527ef.PNG

On top of that, you get moments like this, where you literally think you're being trolled. Martial is passing there, while in front of goal. So the striker passes in front of goal, while the wingers and fullbacks refuse to pass wide of goal.

Plus issues I mentioned earlier. Lesson learned I suppose. Wait for the demo and don't opt-in at the beta.

Edited by MatthewS17

4 minutes ago, JDownie said:

Well it wouldn't be an attribute that is a combination of other attributes...it would be a new attribute giving a specific value to a player in a 1v1 situation. 

And yes it does feel completely random, hence my suggestion. If it can be coded that a player with 20 1v1s is 95% likely to score a 1v1 whereas a player with 5 is only 10% likely, then it would presumably lead to an increase in 1v1 goals scored. 

So then the goalkeeper becomes completely irrelevant? Doesn't really seem like it would work. Not to mention, no attribute stands on its own in the game. 

- - -

A bigger issue is that over time certain tactics appear with a proclivity to create a certain kind of chance. If there's a specific attribute that makes this kind of chance an awful lot more effective it just becomes Forum Poster XYZ's Guide to 10 goals a game. If you have a tactic that creates an unrealistic number of 1v1 chances, then its quite likely you're going to see an unrealistic number of misses. 

1 minute ago, santy001 said:

So then the goalkeeper becomes completely irrelevant? Doesn't really seem like it would work. Not to mention, no attribute stands on its own in the game. 

- - -

A bigger issue is that over time certain tactics appear with a proclivity to create a certain kind of chance. If there's a specific attribute that makes this kind of chance an awful lot more effective it just becomes Forum Poster XYZ's Guide to 10 goals a game. If you have a tactic that creates an unrealistic number of 1v1 chances, then its quite likely you're going to see an unrealistic number of misses. 

Well right now the striker is completely irrelevant to the situation :D

11 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

Or they're just in terrible form. Or teams are just setting up more defensively against you, actively limiting space for your strikers to operate in. It's not because your strikers stop scoring after three seasons that there something changed or is wrong with the ME. I can only say that my main striker scored 20 goals last season and is right on track to repeat that. :)

I'm 6th in the league with 6 points off 4th place this is an issue that is effecting multiple users I can't have 4 very high quality strikers from nowhere all be in bad form it literally all happened when the patch came out!

Morale familiarity all high and as a veteran of these games I know all the tinkers and I have used lots of different tactics and experiments and both my team and the AI are unresponsive whilst I don't want to be dsimissive towards you it seems clear as mud there is a wider issue at heart and it is sadly ruining the game!

in my 3rd season with Leeds alone I finished 4th and got to the emirates cup final I am also in the quarter finals of the champions league I know what I am doing but cannot enjoy the game in it's current state when all goals are the same and the strikers end up with end of season stats like center backs!

The passing , finishing  reactions to shouts and instructions feels way off, I don't know what it's like being a huge club like a Barca or PSG maybe that's why it's so smooth for you as the overall CA of your team is so OP! 

Edited by FMLegend1983

I'll admit I'm not best placed to comment on it @JDownie. I just tend to play a system which plays a lot of crosses to a central forward. Watched every shot taken in my last 4 games from a fairly central position around the penalty spot, not one was a 1v1. 

12 minutes ago, FMLegend1983 said:

I'm 6th in the league with 6 points off 4th place this is a known issue I can't have 4 very high quality strikers from nowhere all be in bad form it literally all happened when the patch came out!

I have used lots of different tactics and experiments and both my team and the AI are unresponsive whilst I don't want to be dsimissive towards you it seems clear as mud there is a wider issue at heart and it is sadly ruining the game!

The only thing the patch changed is the tendency to give penalties by (certain) referees... :)

34 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

In the setup I use right now, Croatian 2nd div, they would be crossing.

Genuine question, could you enlighten us? Also, could you help me with what I am doing wrong tactically to make Praet ping it wide to Ricardo rather than slip Vardy through?

image.thumb.png.9806241e3bc30af2d23e082af90fdaf9.png

Edited by rdbayly

Just now, rdbayly said:

Genuine question, could you enlighten us? Also, could you help me with what I am doing wrong tactically to make Praet ping it wide to Ricardo rather than slip Vardy through?

image.thumb.png.84c56303b1df16f7980613ce885356f5.png

You're doing nothing wrong. Known issue with the match engine right now. 

2 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

image.thumb.png.84c56303b1df16f7980613ce885356f5.png

That really is for the tactics forum. Without any information, it isn't possible to comment.

I think people greatly underestimate how difficult the central through ball is, it's probably the hardest pass in football to pull of regularly.

The pass in the shot above is far from simple, there is a narrow gap to place the ball through and the pace needs to be exact. The ball out right is much easier and could be considered the correct pass.

32 minutes ago, FMLegend1983 said:

The passing , finishing  reactions to shouts and instructions feels way off, I don't know what it's like being a huge club like a Barca or PSG maybe that's why it's so smooth for you as the overall CA of your team is so OP! 

I play the team I support IRL which starts in the Belgian second Division. 

Just now, paok_revolution said:

Has the penalties issue been fixed with the latest hotfix or it remains?

Not sure what penalties 'issue' you mean, but penalties were literally mentioned in the latest update.

Just now, s1111 said:

Is it only me or are club nicknames not visible on their profiles or anywhere in game?

Are you using the name fix from FMScout? I've done so for years and that particular name fix does not include nicknames and never has. 

2 minutes ago, johnhughthom said:

I think people greatly underestimate how difficult the central through ball is, it's probably the hardest pass in football to pull of regularly.

The pass in the shot above is far from simple, there is a narrow gap to place the ball through and the pace needs to be exact. The ball out right is much easier and could be considered the correct pass.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Just now, JDownie said:

The second part is true, tbf. But the first part is nonsense. It might be a harder pass to pull off technically but it doesn't mean players don't try it, which is exactly what we see in the current ME. 

I'm not advocating through balls creating great chances every single time this position arises. I just want to see my players attempting the killer pass. Right now they have a heavy, heavy tendency to spray the ball wide, almost never opting to even attempt the through ball. 

Where did I say players don't try is it in real life, or are you saying calling the central through ball the  most difficult pass in football is nonsense?

I'm not denying there is an issue, but most of the examples I've seen her are 2d, where users expect their players on the pitch to play as if they also have a god mode view of the game, or like the above, where a through ball has perhaps a 5% chance of being successful.