Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, bcereus said:

So they killed center play again to fix long balls. 

Now everything is out wide with out swinging passes, can't have that pesky chipped through ball through the center.

Headers, long shots, corners are where my goals are coming from. If you want to play any football that promotes center play, you best forget about it.

This thing is so broken , they are essentially breaking entire patterns of play so the bugs are not exposed.

Back to FM17/18 for me.

I’m not so sure buddy, I am noticing  my creative midfielder is seeing a lot more of the ball and playing passes wide and through balls perfectly straight for my striker to run onto. He has been running the show for me in the middle since the update, and I hadn’t changed a thing. 

6 minutes ago, bcereus said:

Now everything is out wide with out swinging passes, can't have that pesky chipped through ball through the center.

Headers, long shots, corners are where my goals are coming from. If you want to play any football that promotes center play, you best forget about it.

This thing is so broken , they are essentially breaking entire patterns of play so the bugs are not exposed.

Back to FM17/18 for me.

28 minutes ago, fidelitywars said:

Have been critical of the last couple of FMs for a lack of movement/central play/creative and poor finishing but around 10 games into the latest update, am finding this to be the most enjoyable ME since at least FM18. The reliance on set-pieces for goals seems to have ended (an issue that was completely ruining the game, IMO), my creative central players are racking up 100+ passes per game and the variety of play/build is infinitely better. Still find that my creative midfielders perhaps score more goals from range than they should and perhaps don't deliver quite enough direct assists (though watching my goals, they seem to be playing the 'pre-assist' pass; arguably more realistic?).

Pure gold this forum. :D

33 minutes ago, saihtam said:

Can someone please tell me what bug this talks about, would like to start journeyman save.

I assume it's when sometimes an amateur club changes from amateur to semi pro but can still only offer non contracts to players instead of part time ... it happens occasionally.  This update won't have fixed that no

42 minutes ago, fidelitywars said:

Have been critical of the last couple of FMs for a lack of movement/central play/creative and poor finishing but around 10 games into the latest update, am finding this to be the most enjoyable ME since at least FM18. The reliance on set-pieces for goals seems to have ended (an issue that was completely ruining the game, IMO), my creative central players are racking up 100+ passes per game and the variety of play/build is infinitely better. Still find that my creative midfielders perhaps score more goals from range than they should and perhaps don't deliver quite enough direct assists (though watching my goals, they seem to be playing the 'pre-assist' pass; arguably more realistic?).

Feel that a slight tactical tweak will be necessary as I found that a 2 striker system mitigated the poor finishing of the previous ME to an extent but now find whilst both are scoring more regularly, neither is sufficiently involved in build-up - my false 9 especially is making only a dozen passes per game; perhaps an indication that there remains an issue with midfielders playing the ball forwards to central areas? Still, overall am now finding that I enjoy the game and it's certainly a step in the right direction so kudos to SI for acting on feedback and making these changes :applause:

20 minutes ago, bcereus said:

Back to FM17/18 for me.

15 minutes ago, sidslayer said:

Why is it that some people are happy and others disappointed?

My guess would be, as unfashionable as it seems, tactics.

13 minutes ago, luka_ said:

Pure gold this forum. :D

And this is exactly why I take anyones knee jerk reaction to a new update with a pinch of salt.. everyone will be suffering from confirmation bias and small sample sizes and will just see what they want to see..  

This thread in a nutshell tbh

45 minutes ago, saihtam said:

Can someone please tell me what bug this talks about, would like to start journeyman save.

there is also another bug that exists if you start a LL amateur save. The board can be unhappy with signings due to the player been given a higher wage than they feel is necessary.......yet they dont get a wage because they are amateurs. There is an open bug report for it and up to now, it hasnt progressed into the board sacking me because of it.

Sorry if this has already been asked - I'd been running the updated beta for a week or so to see if the updates made a difference. With the new update out yesterday, so I simply revert back to the full game or do I still have to stay in beta mode?

Many thanks

10 minutes ago, toshj said:

Sorry if this has already been asked - I'd been running the updated beta for a week or so to see if the updates made a difference. With the new update out yesterday, so I simply revert back to the full game or do I still have to stay in beta mode?

Many thanks

Beta has been updated to patch that was released yesterday, so there is no difference between beta and no beta at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Meraklija Vujevic said:

played few games conceding  a lot from set pieces.

anybody have idea how to defend better set pieces

Train defending set pieces before games and change your defensive set pieces instructions to mark players better. Also transfer better defenders I guess?

On 29/01/2020 at 19:03, Tangerine_Army said:

Getting the training advice summary and players i have on whatever individual training getting "no longer a weakness" 

What stat number is not considered a weakness anymore??

Got my GK on short GK distribution for vision, passing and first touch with his stats being 8, 8 and 10

still very much improvment needed for me

It's not based on the attribute, the game thinks of "effort" put into training the second he start showing the upward trending arrows, he is putting in enough effort on that attribute and you no longer need to focus it.

Most people think focusing an attribute means you can raise that attribute, but you don't get some 15 year old youngster to have 20 in dribbling at 26, by focusing the attribute, he will have 20 in dribbling at 26 no matter if you focus it or not,  the "focus" training seems fairly pointless and I just can't figure out if it does anything for most attributes.

The game seems to create fast players, after some year, EVERY SINGLE match report mention how fast the other team is, so the game's default favors making everyone fast, so I'm not sure if my tendency to train u18 players in quickness is making any difference, but that is the only focus training I bother with, but I have no idea if I'm fooled because the game make them fast anyway.

3 hours ago, Rashidi said:

220520469_NiceGoal.thumb.gif.914ed970f60e9f46734142ca1b41fc70.gif

Getting some good off the ball movement with quite a few tactics, and this is actually a tactic from FM19, I kept all the same roles and duties and just raised tempo, twas nice to see. 

This is an awesome bit of play, unfortunately doesn't happen no where near enough, perhaps 1 in 30 goals are scored this way 

My assists after 10 matches so far with the new ME. Not entirely sure if the game is counting them correctly, as I've definitely scored some long throws, maybe they get placed as something else, need to pay attention next time I score one.

image.thumb.png.447f441465c0ccf888d3d81476e7d00c.png

Also out of 41 goals only 5 came from outside the box, with one from very far range which I can't even remember (But assuming the distance I guess it was an open goal), so long shots aren't quite as lethal as they were in the beta patch. Not sure whether that's due to lower accuracy or generally less shots attempted. CCC conversion rate of 20 out of 27 so far, so that's not bad at all. Although there are still some situations that count as CCC that don't look clear cut to me at all (headers while being challenged by defenders and the goalie being in a good position for example).

All in all there are some lovely attacking movements from time to time, so central play by no means is completely dead, although I can see that the game goes wide a lot. Which, considering the frequency of narrow defending and me playing a 4-1-2-3 is no surprise that the ball goes out wide quite a lot. I haven't tested more narrow tactics on this ME, so can't speak for those.

14 hours ago, sidslayer said:

I don’t believe it’s right either.

But you’ve highlighted what I believe to be an issue which is that it’s the frequency of the 1v1’s that’s the issue. The game doesn’t see them all as good chances it seems, even if we the viewer do. Otherwise it would be cricket scores. If the ME could reduce the amount of 1v1’s, which CAN be done tactically, then it appears as though more of these chances are taken.

17 Finishing is an USELESS attribute in 1v1 situations. I'm not sure it's used at all.

It's mostly about Composure and Decision making whatever a player can get past the GK to score in 1v1.

This is why Leon Bailey and Barca's Dembele is crap 5 star players, both of them has amazing technical/speed attributes, but is completely useless as they keep making the wrong choices and can't handle pressure.

Tried the new update in 4 matches yesterday. One on ones are clearly improved ,my striker scored 3 in 3 including one with a beautifully placed  low shot. ( In the previous ME he would have missed at least 2 out of 3 ). Good impressions so far.

Edit: The tactic i use is 4-4-2. I found that strikers are  more effective in pairs both in FM 19 and 20. I don;t know how lone strikers are performing yet.

Edited by andu1

Match engine is still dreadful in the final third.

Very little good central build up

Players not making the obvious pass to the striker in space

Wingers beating players with ease but unable to actually cross or play a final ball into space, opting for the shot from a ridiculous angle most of the time instead

Shoot less often instruction doesn't seem to really stop players from shooting at insane angles or range. Need to add a please for the love of god pass the ball to the striker instruction

Won a game 5-1 with 3 goals from set pieces and 2 long shots. For a game with so many goals I only created 1 clear cut chance that was actually missed. Great win but players did not follow the tactics at all

8 minutes ago, Old Joe Clarke said:

Well thanks for the in depth analysis, 

Judging player data 1

Judging team data   1

Presenting data        1

If the game has improved for a lot of posters in this section that clearly means there are positive changes to the ME, I have scored and conceded goals and there is no real trend to how they happen, a good variety so far, maybe, just maybe its your.........

Prior to the update i was on a 31 game consecutive scoring run, 21 match unbeaten, averaging 22 shots per game, seeing (and missing) loads of 1v1s (both sides).

...in 3 games since the update, ive not scored, drawn 1 (0-0) and lost 2, average 6 shots per game, not seen any 1v1s for either side, and strangely have had 4 red cards in these 3 games when i hadnt had 1 in the last 26.

All the above with same tactics/formation etc.

As to the official changelog.....

improved 1v1 finishing - no idea, not seen any 1v1s

tweaks to pks - no idea, not seen any pks.

lowered frequecy of players overrunning ball and losing possession - no change.

improved crossing/instruction behaviour - no change.

improved def tracking for long balls - yes

improved heading accuracy - yes.

other balanciing tweaks/improvements - yes, woodpecker sound has now gone.

Hi guys,

I played 2 matches with the new engine last night (existing save and tactic) and imo there’s a big improvement.

I appreciate the hard work that was put into this, but it’s a shame that I’ve already played 2 seasons with a (apparently) very different version of the engine.

2 hours ago, Miravlix said:

It's not based on the attribute, the game thinks of "effort" put into training the second he start showing the upward trending arrows, he is putting in enough effort on that attribute and you no longer need to focus it.

Most people think focusing an attribute means you can raise that attribute, but you don't get some 15 year old youngster to have 20 in dribbling at 26, by focusing the attribute, he will have 20 in dribbling at 26 no matter if you focus it or not,  the "focus" training seems fairly pointless and I just can't figure out if it does anything for most attributes.

The game seems to create fast players, after some year, EVERY SINGLE match report mention how fast the other team is, so the game's default favors making everyone fast, so I'm not sure if my tendency to train u18 players in quickness is making any difference, but that is the only focus training I bother with, but I have no idea if I'm fooled because the game make them fast anyway.

If that is the case then it needs to be worded differently as its clearly still a weakness regardless of effort being made in training.

deffo agree that it seems pointless on the focus training as i can't say any improvements on any player on the focus points 

1 hour ago, bahmet said:

Does "View Only" country selection affect FM performance?

Yes, view only means that the games are not fully simulated, clubs from those countries will not have as many players and in general these clubs will be less active around the world. So it's slower than not loading them in at all, but a lot faster compared to having countries on full detail where the matches are played out properly and you have a bigger player database.

1 hour ago, sidslayer said:

Any chance the next update could include the very recently agreed summer transfer date for the prem going back to sept 1st? Save game compatible? :) 

I think competition rule changes are hard coded and therefore not save game compatible. Can't recall any competition fixes in the past that did not require you to start a new game.

Edited by Freakiie

20.2.4 Changelist
-----------------------
- Performance and optimisation improvements

Various Match Engine (version 2039) changes including (but not limited to):

- Improved one-on-one finishing 
- Recalculations regarding clear-cut chances 
- Tweaks to penalty kick conversion rates 
- Lowered frequency of players overrunning ball and losing possession 
- Improved realism of player recoveries from slide tackles 
- Improved crossing variation and instruction behaviour 
- Improved defensive tracking from long balls 
- Improved heading accuracy 
- Improvements/tweaks to referee behaviour 
- Throw-in positional adjustments 
- Various other balancing tweaks/improvements 

This ✔ sign means that i validate what i see in a match ! There has been a lot of work on the last update and everything seems to agree.

At some point challenge yourself with your tactics and your instructions ! Or are you really playing the last update ????

(The one and only thing i saw was the number of goals on set kicks ans corners. Without being in the abuse )

Very  good SI job ! Continue like that !:hammer:

7 minutes ago, likesiamesefish said:

They do a transfer update every year around early March, this latest update was just purely for the match engine.

I know, what I've asked is if they will update when the transfer window closes, the clubs have voted to end the transfer window on 1st of September.

Edited by LucasBR

39 minutes ago, Tangerine_Army said:

OK.... so which one is it then?? useful partnership or a poor one :rolleyes:

2020-02-06.thumb.png.4a478575b0d1ef0732e7713f56efc870.png

It is both.
Playing X player on this side and Y player on that side is currently worse , according to your coach, than Y player on this side and X player on that side; in the current set roles.