Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

3 hours ago, Bakiano said:

I have lost count on how many times I gave up playing this FM and start again, thinking I just need a little tweak and it will be better. But it doesn't get better! It is always the same. In public beta all I see are set pieces. Watching on extended mode and 80% of highlights are set pieces. 

And oh my God, those beatiful goals from outside the box. Whenever I see, player has a little open space to shoot, I know the result. It is a wonder goal. Players can't score from 1 on 1 chance with the GK, but when  there is a volley or half volley shot, that's 99% a goal. 

It's strange that Miles doesn't tweet stats how many players are playing FM in exact moment anymore.

And for the end,  blocked crosses. That was thing from FM19 as I recall and here we are again. Wide player has space, has time, has players in the box and what he does in that situation? He waits the defender so he can make a blocked cross or he just pass a backward pass.

Cheers!

see, they try to fix it but just make it worse, now fm 2019 flashback lol. Just change the engine already please

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Maldini's Heir said:

This has to be the most crushing game I have ever played.

Nearly every thing that happens in the game ends in disappointment. There's just not joy to be found anywhere.

As the ball drops to Chiesa at the back post and there's a goal mouth scramble, will I get a last minute winner?

No chance. I'll hit the post. I knew before it even happened. That would be a joyful moment. Games must end in disappointment.

Losing 2:0 to Lazio break forward and 1 v 1 and......Cutrone hits the post and Lazio counter to break me with a 3:0.

It's your tactics! (that made my player miss an open goal and hit the post).

After a crushing series of games where my team has missed countless chances, drawing 0:0 or losing when I've had more shots, I then play some small team in the Champions League. 

36 shots on goal - what could've been an enjoyable 5:0 win (just for the laugh you know, joy) - ends in a frustrating 1:0. I won. But who wants to win 1:0 having had 36 shots on goal?

In fact who wants to spend their time watching their team miss chance after chance. There is another way you know. Just don't have the team create chances. Same outcome. Same difficulty. Hmm question. It must be something to do with my tactics. But there's nothing to learn from missing 35 chances. 

Who wants to play a game that always ends in disappointment, even if you win?

I nearly made it through a season without restarts but as I got towards the end of my second season, 10 points clear at the top, the game thought - Do you know what would be a fun thing to experience?  The crushing disappointment that Kevin Keegan felt in 95/96. Yes, I'd pay to experience that. So the points just start dropping off. The last minute equalisers, the back to back "one of those days" - until the game had chipped away at my lead and my hope.

REEEEEEEESSSSSTAAAAARRRRTTTT and the pain goes away. If only Keegan could've done that.

Without fail a re-start leads to a different result. I think of the 50 or so games I've re-started, I've won something like 45 immediately after re-starting. 

It seems in fact every game I lose it because of "incidents" - the missed open goal, the mistake at the back.....

Actually here's a thing - BTW the first part is a rant that doesn't require any explanation, this is a genuine question....here I'll include a nice sub-heading so people can go straight to this question:

^^^^^^
RANT

˅˅˅˅˅˅

QUESTION

Does anyone notice that the computer team generally has a completely different experience to the human team?

There's all sorts of incidents that occur that only impact the human.

For example:

• the auld throw in leading to counter attack shtick, seems to overwhelmingly favour the CPU - it's always my players throwing the ball to the CPU never the other way round;
  • the CPU gets by far and way the most "lucky breaks" benefiting from the human hitting the post, having goals cleared off the line, having disallowed goals, conceding last minute goals (v last minute misses from the human), 5 shots = 5 goals/35 shots = 1 goal etc,   
  • twice I have had my GK keeper tackled, but I have never tackled the CPU computer - never experienced that joy (like so many others).

I signed Zaniolo after he scored 12 goals for Roma. Of course he's only scored 1 goal for me! Of course.

My wife asked me why do I bother?

She cuts to the core of me. 

It’s your tactics ;)

On 30/01/2020 at 00:30, Nick_CB said:

Look

EDIT: Can someone please tell me if this is a bug?

Club Deportivo Mirandés_ Visão Geral.png

Mirandés B_ Matches.png

on the 2nd pic, it looks like you have it set to not show the matches. On the right next to the season date etc. where is the filter button which allows you to change this? is it removed because of 1 of your other responsibility settings?

This game is just a wind up. Nothing else to say.

My striker, Piatek, has just won striker of the year despite missing endless 1v1s. It was just announced after I had another 0:0 because my team missed all of their chances. 

Everything that happens is a wind up. When you lose and the game asks you how well one of your players played. It's all one big wind up.

I played some of the public beta when it first became available.

Got tired of conceding/scoring multiple set pieces in every single game.

Take some time off from FM.

Come back and concede from a corner within 20 mins of my first game back.

Rinse. Repeat.

21 hours ago, Nicenoise said:

How much time, i, beeing a customer, supposed to wait till you fix 1x1? 

Whom should i contact if i want a refund?

17 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

@iMan - Please don't post false information to a genuine question.

@Nicenoise - The latest statement from staff is that they're not looking to roll out an update to the beta patch, but instead a full patch, and that will be done when it is ready. Whilst there is usually a patch at the beginning of March after all of the transfers in the latest window have concluded (since some countries have an open window through to the end of February), SI have not said that there won't be a patch before then.

Hi,

It is now 03/02/2020 ant the game remains unplayable.

The game was released on 19/11/2019........

I want to be reimbursed quickly.

Certainly, i won't be waiting for the March patch to play.

Edited by LOVEFMyeah

Hi guys, we are less than a month now from the March patch. is it possible to receive some kind of update if we can expect a pacht before the one in March ??? I think it would be useful to do it because until the final pacht in March we can release feedback and help you better in the final pacht. Like nail brock are several days that not from various announcements would be welcome if we were released some statement thanks.

When the loan manager accepts a loan bid, saying he feels it meets his valuation, what does this mean precisely? I'm assuming it means the team is of sufficient quality relative to the youngster. He seems to highly rate my youth as he just loaned out most of my U23 squad!

3 hours ago, LOVEFMyeah said:

its playing ok for me ive done a season and won everything so if your not happy with the game then simply don't buy it again and stop your moaning  SIMPLES :)

Hi,

It is now 03/02/2020 ant the game remains unplayable.

The game was released on 19/11/2019........

I want to be reimbursed quickly.

Certainly, i won't be waiting for the March patch to play.

Okay. See you in March – if the feedback about the next patch is gonna be good enough. If not - don't worry, in maybe 3 years, I'll be weak enough to buy again.

Between defensive positioning, headers on both ends, central build-up, wing decision-making, offensive finishing, and long shots, there are just enough frustrating issues to turn the entire experience into an insufferable, pointless slog.

Edited by Glen_Runciter

Playing beta patch and am Stenhousemuir in League 2 (Fourth Division). 

Feel long shots might be a bit accurate for this level :S

Even ones that are missed are either saved, hit woodwork or very narrowly over.

Some goals for and against from my last 6-7 matches. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlxVWkAWzZQ

Having now played a decent amount of hours for myself,  I would agree with some of the others within this thread that the match engine really has been the let down of this version and probably the last few versions as well for me. I can only hope that maybe something can be improved this version and definitely for the next version.

I feel outside that, most changes in recent versions of the game have been positive with the exception of the brexit feature. Dynamics, though buggy at first and the training overhaul have been positive. I also do like the UI changes though thank god I don't need to use the purple theme :) 

Edited by The Smudge

4 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

Nothing more truth than this statement, am absolutely done with how Si do business, never will I ever buy a football manager game before its final patch, in the past it was bearable but the current state of the game is unforgivable in my eyes.

same old same old mate 

Image result for groundhog day gif"

Playing the beta, it's just astonishing how defensively minded the AI is and how bad they are at creating anything. I've just won the title with Independiente in Argentina in the first season, I've conceded 8 goals in 21 games with just 2 in the last 14. I'm not even really paying much attention when playing and using a very simple tactic. Even when playing good teams with similar reputations they never seem to go above Cautious mentality so each match is just waiting for my mediocre BBM to score from the edge of the box (he's the league's top scorer with 12 goals in 18 starts).

I have never been so bored playing FM. I'd prefer a buggy mess to this, at least it might be fun to watch.

9 hours ago, danstam said:

When the loan manager accepts a loan bid, saying he feels it meets his valuation, what does this mean precisely? I'm assuming it means the team is of sufficient quality relative to the youngster. He seems to highly rate my youth as he just loaned out most of my U23 squad!

Fairly certain he doesn't look at much more than the loan fee/wages paid the other team offers. Already had a couple cases where mine pissed off players after rejecting offers from clubs that came in with the demands I set (and nothing wrong regarding club status/playing time), but since I wasn't asking for wages the offer wasn't good enough for him.

45 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

Is there collision between players in this game?

Not so much collision, but forced avoidance, from what I've read on this forum. Then again the graphical representation of the ME can get rather clunky at times so you can see things that make sense in the underlying ME calculations, but look rather weird. Your example is quite extreme though.

9 minutos atrás, Freakiie disse:

Not so much collision, but forced avoidance, from what I've read on this forum. Then again the graphical representation of the ME can get rather clunky at times so you can see things that make sense in the underlying ME calculations, but look rather weird. Your example is quite extreme though.

I play in 2d and I noticed something strange with the player's button crossing mine inside .Confirmed in 3D replay

14 hours ago, danstam said:

You can set required playing time, training facility level and wage contribution for allowing players to go on loan so presumably one of these isn't met. 

I think it may take into account the level the club are playing at too. 

So I've finished my second season playing almost exclusively with Comprehensive Highlights.

My observations are a bit different that the usual - yes, the beta ME has issues especially with the amount of (missed) headers and set pieces. Finishing is still not perfect but more logical than the "normal" ME. I personally do get enough middle play to be satisfied, at least in what I consider normal in football. Going through the middle is hard in reality too.

But anyway, the most important thing that popped out to me is how much all the "external" factors affect the actual games and what we end up seeing in the ME.

In fact I'm actually assuming this is a cause of frustration for a lot of people.

• Training is hugely important, especially specific set pieces training before games. Since I changed my training schedules to include at least one session in the last training day before games, we basically did not concede any more from these.
  • Morale is EXTREMELY important. So much that with a good team atmosphere, my team plays exactly how I'd wish but with 2-3 grumpy players causing issues the team can really collapse. You start seeing them doing weird stuff, random mistakes, not covering space so well etc etc. I did the mistake to transfer in  a lot of players in my second season and that caused issues in the background as some were playing less than they expected etc... That seriously spiraled out of control. We were losing almost no matter what.
  • Also other factors like player partnerships, player preference on sides, team talks...

What am I trying to say here? Is that while all these are realistic etc, I can easily imagine how they become a big overhead for a lot of people who just want to transfer players and play games. Maybe a bit too much focus is given to all these "side activities"? Maybe they shouldn't factor SO MUCH into the actual game?

Yes franchise seems to child focus with transfers not actual tactics. But I'm surprised you see middle play. How was it? Some counter attack with dribbling or slow possession building up play.

Edit: Central play is not that hard for top teams that they don't need set pieces.

Cheers.

Edited by baris28

26 minutes ago, baris28 said:

Yes franchise seems to child focus with transfers not actual tactics. But I'm surprised you see middle play. How was it? Some counter attack with dribbling or slow possession building up play.

I will try to post some replays when I can. Obviously I'm not using an AM so that helps, giving the MCs more space to operate. Also most of the times it will be the wingers closing in the area that will get the end of such plays, not so much the forward (playing with a single forward atm). Mind you I'm not saying it happens to an amount that is ideal but I also believe that people expect it to happen more than it ... should. Central play is rare in modern football exactly because teams are overloading the midfield, leaving spaces on the wings mainly

3 hours ago, Jimmious7 said:

So I've finished my second season playing almost exclusively with Comprehensive Highlights.

My observations are a bit different that the usual - yes, the beta ME has issues especially with the amount of (missed) headers and set pieces. Finishing is still not perfect but more logical than the "normal" ME. I personally do get enough middle play to be satisfied, at least in what I consider normal in football. Going through the middle is hard in reality too.

But anyway, the most important thing that popped out to me is how much all the "external" factors affect the actual games and what we end up seeing in the ME.

In fact I'm actually assuming this is a cause of frustration for a lot of people.

• Training is hugely important, especially specific set pieces training before games. Since I changed my training schedules to include at least one session in the last training day before games, we basically did not concede any more from these.
  • Morale is EXTREMELY important. So much that with a good team atmosphere, my team plays exactly how I'd wish but with 2-3 grumpy players causing issues the team can really collapse. You start seeing them doing weird stuff, random mistakes, not covering space so well etc etc. I did the mistake to transfer in  a lot of players in my second season and that caused issues in the background as some were playing less than they expected etc... That seriously spiraled out of control. We were losing almost no matter what.
  • Also other factors like player partnerships, player preference on sides, team talks...

What am I trying to say here? Is that while all these are realistic etc, I can easily imagine how they become a big overhead for a lot of people who just want to transfer players and play games. Maybe a bit too much focus is given to all these "side activities"? Maybe they shouldn't factor SO MUCH into the actual game?

Did you see many assists coming from central areas? My experience is that the vast majority of goals are scored from set pieces, crosses or long shots, there simply isn't enough creative free flowing football.

1 minute ago, Weller1980 said:

Did you see many assists coming from central areas? My experience is that the vast majority of goals are scored from set pieces, crosses or long shots, there simply isn't enough creative free flowing football.

I'll post stats from my season at night since I'm at work at the moment :D

Just now, Jimmious7 said:

I'll post stats from my season at night since I'm at work at the moment :D

Problem is the assists from central areas are normally little passes setting up long range goals, what's your impression of assists from through balls being played into the penalty area? Im interested because you've somehow managed two seasons so you'll have a really good idea of how the ME is working, also have you watched in AI vs AI games?

2 minutes ago, Weller1980 said:

Problem is the assists from central areas are normally little passes setting up long range goals, what's your impression of assists from through balls being played into the penalty area? Im interested because you've somehow managed two seasons so you'll have a really good idea of how the ME is working, also have you watched in AI vs AI games?

AI vs AI no, not really. There are some assists from through balls mainly to one of my two wingers (an IF(Su) and a W(A)) or through counter attacks when the opponent's defense is higher up the field to the striker. Mostly though some "parallel" play like the winger getting the ball in the box and then laying it off to the striker or central midfielder who scores

3 hours ago, Jimmious7 said:

Would be interesting to know exactly how much the three issues you raise are intended to impact the game. 

My problem is that in real life teams shouldn't need to be practising set pieces every single week, and for LLM like myself who manage a semi-pro team I should be able to dedicate training to more important matters and still expect a player to know not to leave someone free at the back post every single time. 

I'm also a little frustrated with the morale and team dynamics system. There's so many things in the game that should impact morale and the team's support for the manager, but ultimately the only real way of impacting it is by winning games it seems. And whilst this sounds quite obvious, my annoyance is that all these other interactions within the game ultimately just seem gimmicky and useless - almost as if interacting with a particular player is a side-quest of sorts where the outcome isn't that important.

13 minutes ago, wattzy said:

Would be interesting to know exactly how much the three issues you raise are intended to impact the game. 

My problem is that in real life teams shouldn't need to be practising set pieces every single week, and for LLM like myself who manage a semi-pro team I should be able to dedicate training to more important matters and still expect a player to know not to leave someone free at the back post every single time. 

I'm also a little frustrated with the morale and team dynamics system. There's so many things in the game that should impact morale and the team's support for the manager, but ultimately the only real way of impacting it is by winning games it seems. And whilst this sounds quite obvious, my annoyance is that all these other interactions within the game ultimately just seem gimmicky and useless - almost as if interacting with a particular player is a side-quest of sorts where the outcome isn't that important.

Isnt this the reason they release the Touch versions as well . less involved ….. If Touch had an editor it would be all over for the full game

6 minutes ago, wattzy said:

The interactions are definitely very bland and repetitive but I'm sure SI have actually had to lower their impact over the years because they used to be quite OP. Tbh, they still are, and I interact with my players all the time to improve or maintain their form, get their training boosted and keep them happy (even though it is a button pushing chore where the outcome is known once you've played a few seasons). This will really help your support in the dressing room as well because you can get into favoured personnel really easily this way, especially if you have a decent reputation. There are definitely a few factors outside of form that impact your support in the dressing room. Morale is definitely very much tied to form although team meetings are still pretty OP and I find 9/10 times I get a massive improvement in the next game, would rather see this toned down and the ability to hold team meetings more regularly.

Also I've found on FM20 that as soon as I've got a team leader with a really good personality and high leadership as my captain then whenever I have any sort of issue (wants a new contract, more game time, new challenge etc) if I ask the captain to deal with it then it goes away every single time.

I'm sure the flip side is that the game is as difficult without these things as it is easy with them and although I love these things having an impact in the game their influence needs to be turned down or the AI needs to make far better use of them (but this would force all human managers to fully utilise them which would no doubt he a huge commercial mistake).

2 minutes ago, likesiamesefish said:

The interactions are definitely very bland and repetitive but I'm sure SI have actually had to lower their impact over the years because they used to be quite OP. Tbh, they still are, and I interact with my players all the time to improve or maintain their form, get their training boosted and keep them happy (even though it is a button pushing chore where the outcome is known once you've played a few seasons). This will really help your support in the dressing room as well because you can get into favoured personnel really easily this way, especially if you have a decent reputation. There are definitely a few factors outside of form that impact your support in the dressing room. Morale is definitely very much tied to form although team meetings are still pretty OP and I find 9/10 times I get a massive improvement in the next game, would rather see this toned down and the ability to hold team meetings more regularly.

Also I've found on FM20 that as soon as I've got a team leader with a really good personality and high leadership as my captain then whenever I have any sort of issue (wants a new contract, more game time, new challenge etc) if I ask the captain to deal with it then it goes away every single time.

I'm sure the flip side is that the game is as difficult without these things as it is easy with them and although I love these things having an impact in the game their influence needs to be turned down or the AI needs to make far better use of them (but this would force all human managers to fully utilise them which would no doubt he a huge commercial mistake).

Having said all this I sometimes wonder whether manager attributes have an impact on this because I always shift as many points into motivation as I reasonably can.

I'd love it if the only reason team talks, shouts and interactions seem so OP to me is because I use them so much and pay attention to their outcome so along with the motivation attribute it's like I'm just some sort of inspirational hero that the players look up to, but it feels pretty easy to master.

6 hours ago, Tiger666 said:

Very next game, 3 of 4 goals from set pieces.

Just wanted to add to this. Just like in FM 19 (maybe even worse in latest beta), if you watch a game in comprehensive highlights, the ME can fool you to think that all that build-up play, formation, etc. matters, and if you don't pay attention you may not notice at the end of the match that all goals came from set pieces or crosses. But if you just watch many AI vs AI matches, goals only, you can't miss the trend and the dullness. Some people don't like it when the word 'broken' is used, but this IS broken. It is not a bug, but a trend, a result of what is coded in ME, something fundamentally wrong. There is build up play, even SOME central play (compared to FM 19 it is better), but the finishing is missing from goal positions that logically/naturally should produce more goals (including 1on1's but not limited to it). Players keep missing those easier chances. But they are somehow unrealistically efficient from long range, volleys/first time shots/headers at the end of crosses, which should be less accurate.

Edit: This may be also caused by GK's performance though. MAYBE the gk's are just too good at tracking the ball and closing the shooting angle in 1on1's, but they are terrible at tracking the ball in long range shots and crosses. Just a thought. I am sure SI is looking into all of these possibilities and hopefully they will correct the ME accordingly.

Edited by bleventozturk

SI can we please have a concrete answer on whether you are planning to release a fix before the usual .3 update?

I know it will be ready when it's ready but will we get such an instance before your major patch? I'm not asking for a set date here. Just a confirmation on whether you plan on releasing a patch before the major one.

9 minutes ago, saiyaman said:

SI can we please have a concrete answer on whether you are planning to release a fix before the usual .3 update?

I know it will be ready when it's ready but will we get such an instance before your major patch? I'm not asking for a set date here. Just a confirmation on whether you plan on releasing a patch before the major one.

You must realise that they cannot asnwer that. It all depends if they get a ME that they think is good enough to be released before the uptade with the winter transfers.

I'm sure if they already got that ME, it would be out already. But for some reason, it's not. 

On one hand its a good signal. It means that SI staff have higher standards and are not rushing things. On the other hand, it could mean that this year the ME have some unbalaced issues that are impossible to solve in the short term.

One thing i'm sure... i don't remember the last FM version where it took so long for SI to deliver a update to fix ME issues. But, someyimes this things happen.

Untill them, the best anyone can do is keep playing the game, that, at least for me is very playable. The "game is broken and unplayable" it seems like a virus that spreads very quickly in this foruns. And of course, the time beetween updates helps the "virus" to spread.

3 minutes ago, Keyzer Soze said:

You must realise that they cannot asnwer that. It all depends if they get a ME that they think is good enough to be released before the uptade with the winter transfers.

I'm sure if they already got that ME, it would be out already. But for some reason, it's not. 

On one hand its a good signal. It means that SI staff have higher standards and are not rushing things. On the other hand, it could mean that this year the ME have some unbalaced issues that are impossible to solve in the short term.

One thing i'm sure... i don't remember the last FM version where it took so long for SI to deliver a update to fix ME issues. But, someyimes this things happen.

Untill them, the best anyone can do is keep playing the game, that, at least for me is very playable. The "game is broken and unplayable" it seems like a virus that spreads very quickly in this foruns. And of course, the time beetween updates helps the "virus" to spread.

I'm sorry I don't agree with your post at all.

In case you haven't noticed, I haven't asked them for a time. Just a hint of whether they are planning to change their update process to release one before the major patch.

I have never subscribed to the "unplayable" part but you cannot undermine the money which people are putting into SI just because you have a different opinion. You aren't paying out of your pocket for their copies. They have every right to call it "unplayable" or "broken" as long as Mods allow them.