Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Stuniverse

[FM20] Derby County - Why manage the Rams? / How are you getting on?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Impz82 said:

Yep. I have to say. That said, last update for the day and I need to sleep. It's 2.30 am here and I am so pumped up. :) A total defense masterpiece taken from Mourinho. I played defensive with a 4-2-3-1, play for set pieces and scored one from an absolute set piece by Tonali. :> The last ten minutes was pretty much bombardment by Man City, with 10 man behind the ball, with me changing to a 4-1-4-1 very defensive formation to defend the slim lead. LOL.

truedefense.thumb.jpg.e273fddb0a6697f828a5f1699ad04933.jpg

2nd time now you've beat them isnt it? Fair play mate, looking at the stats you pretty much matched them aswell so not as big a surprise as it may seem! Congrats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Luke6 said:

2nd time now you've beat them isnt it? Fair play mate, looking at the stats you pretty much matched them aswell so not as big a surprise as it may seem! Congrats.

Actually if u watch the highlights,  they had more ccc. It wasn't as even as it is, but i will take any win for this season. I only beat them for the first time. My last three matches with them were 1-6, 0-5 and 1-3. 

It made drawing with Fulham the previous match a bit easier to swallow.

Edited by Impz82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Impz82 said:

 

truedefense.thumb.jpg.e273fddb0a6697f828a5f1699ad04933.jpg

Great result @Impz82! I love a giant killing, have you had any others. As a still Championship side we're yet to have one, our biggest scalp in Burnley in the cup, so I can't wait for that day! Sounds like you managed the game really well too

It reminds me of FM17, when strikerless was the way to go, and I unexpectedly reached the Champions League final after doing a job on Barcelona in the first leg with a catenaccio inspired system I dubbed "Catalan Catenaccio". We set up in a 3-3-3-1 (3 centre backs, 2 wing backs and a DM, 3 CMs, and an AMC). Essentially the style of play involved getting men behind the ball and then keeping it when we got it,  I suppose much like the defensive AI in this match engine. We faced Manchester United in the final, fustrated them and reduced them to 9 men. We then blew them away in extra time with our extra numbers.

Anyway, reminiscing over, really good result mate and it'd be interesting to hear how you and others approach these big games by comparison to usual ones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have finally reached December and I think I do feel like relegation is not my concern and in fact an Euro place would be plausible. The issue is that the team is quite unpredictable and blows hot and cold. As you can tell from the results, I am having difficulties building any kind of momentum with a loss or draw after a tough win. I also struggle quite badly playing away from Pride Park, and is still finding a more defensive tactic that can play better. It doesn't help that I do not have an elite striker. Berisha is too inconsistent for my liking. Tonali, on the other hand, is a monster. He takes all my free kicks and his deep lying play making is creating a lot of chances with his magical boot. I really need to nail him down at the end of the season...

A few friendly matches are scheduled during the international week for $$. Derby County needs the moolah to improve!

octandnov.thumb.jpg.d4ea2e389b03e2236512f1b3d3c0d555.jpg

The biggest sucker punch was really the United match. I was leading 2-0 after 70 minutes. My two most reliable players, Rick von Dragon (Drongelen, but he's a dragon for me!) and Lewis Ferguson decided to make fatal mistakes. A 90th minute sucker punch goal by Bailly means I return home empty. It's a very deflating feeling.

20200516202015_1.thumb.jpg.889cb9b23937dee8d9995ba97231795b.jpg

Despite the inconsistent results, I am still at 8th position, 1 point away from the 6th position. The next 7 matches are much easier, but only if I can take advantage. 

standingnov.thumb.jpg.54a4992e30bd90d6da98cca7d33034b7.jpg

Edited by Impz82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you try asking your board to sign Tonali now? Not sure how it works with loans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, OJ403 said:

Great result @Impz82! I love a giant killing, have you had any others. As a still Championship side we're yet to have one, our biggest scalp in Burnley in the cup, so I can't wait for that day! Sounds like you managed the game really well too

It reminds me of FM17, when strikerless was the way to go, and I unexpectedly reached the Champions League final after doing a job on Barcelona in the first leg with a catenaccio inspired system I dubbed "Catalan Catenaccio". We set up in a 3-3-3-1 (3 centre backs, 2 wing backs and a DM, 3 CMs, and an AMC). Essentially the style of play involved getting men behind the ball and then keeping it when we got it,  I suppose much like the defensive AI in this match engine. We faced Manchester United in the final, fustrated them and reduced them to 9 men. We then blew them away in extra time with our extra numbers.

Anyway, reminiscing over, really good result mate and it'd be interesting to hear how you and others approach these big games by comparison to usual ones

@OJ403 My go-to formation on away matches or difficult matches is the 4-1-4-1 with a cautious approach. You can tell that it's a very defensive approach with enough attacking players to go for counters when necessary. It's not the greatest formation since I usually create my own as we go along, but it's doing decent and keeps big matches close.

defensive.thumb.jpg.52d196bea92d6293b538aebe2578d82d.jpg

Edited by Impz82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Stackalee said:

Can you try asking your board to sign Tonali now? Not sure how it works with loans. 

@Stackalee The wage budget has improved decently after Jan 1st. While none of my players are earning beyond 35k except for Rooney, I can offer up to 90k for a player.

So the big story here is...

Southampton FC sucks. Big time. They made an irresistible offer for Tonali at the end of his contract.

tonali1.thumb.jpg.15c4687bf1de4d5d442fa7b9b5eecd6c.jpg

But sucks to be you, Southampton. Tonali enjoyed my company as manager of Derby County so much that he prefers to join me, I had to up my wages to him to 90k after the agent came back with the information. I rather pay and literally destroyed my whole wage budget. But it's worth it because Tonali is MINE! WITHOUT A FEE TOO! Wahahahahaha, I feel so much win :> The only sad thing is that there is a 39.5 million release clause that can be triggered. It was non-nego so I had to leave it there.

tonali2.thumb.jpg.23cbbe0d2a7058317a692c5884417bdb.jpg

Edited by Impz82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice one @Impz82congrats that's a great signing. Just try to keep tying him up in new deals as soon as you can hah I managed to keep hold of him in my Brescia save by just throwing all my money at him but he was well worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still haven't decided what to do about that Marriott bid, but in the meantime... Great news for Coniah Boyce-Clarke (the young goalkeeper I signed from Reading in January season 1).

After 2.5 seasons of first team football he's now challenging Jordan Pickford for the England #1 jersey and has been dubbed "the new David Seaman" by the press.

Keeper1.thumb.jpg.ee284ccc137c98b5586a9bf8c3d83717.jpgKeeper2.jpg.2690a75e15efb712c4c83c3ba8f8f9c0.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Stackalee said:

Still haven't decided what to do about that Marriott bid, but in the meantime... Great news for Coniah Boyce-Clarke (the young goalkeeper I signed from Reading in January season 1).

After 2.5 seasons of first team football he's now challenging Jordan Pickford for the England #1 jersey and has been dubbed "the new David Seaman" by the press.

Keeper1.thumb.jpg.ee284ccc137c98b5586a9bf8c3d83717.jpgKeeper2.jpg.2690a75e15efb712c4c83c3ba8f8f9c0.jpg

 

Wah, the new David Seaman is a very good level of potential @Stackalee. He has very well rounded stats and can still develop. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The January transfer window was over and Derby County is doing well and definitely not in a relegation battle. In fact, it is now in the fight for a Europa spot at 5th position right before Liverpool at 48 points.  That said, Liverpool has 2 games on hand, and has just destroyed us 1-3 and the match was not even remotely close because Mike Te Wierik was consistently exploited at the center and had a horrendous game. We did very well in the December and January period, winning the games we should win and losing badly the ones we should. 2-3 away from Manchester City and 1-3 away from Liverpool is considered a win for a newly promoted side.

20200517174904_1.thumb.jpg.5caa157ba17894d8e7fd32ce4885587e.jpg

You might have also noticed in the screenshot that a curious highlight at top scorer, Mergim Berisha is at the joint top scorer in the EPL. Yes, after I completely slated him as a striker that is not good enough for EPL a few posts ago at the point of October, he went on an holy striker crusade to prove me wrong. Prove me wrong, he definitely did. 15 goals in 26 matches is an excellent return for a striker who does not have the best finishing. 

Even though we are only at the final stretch of the second season, I am already planning ahead for next season. Right back cover is a must, as I am currently loaning Ethan Laird from Manchester United as a makeshift cover. I got a very exotic replacement when searching for weird young national team players. It's an usual technique that is time consuming but helps to uncover cheap elite talent that is not in the main european/south american area. Step forward, Ahmed Younes from Egypt. A newly minted international at right back, I got him at a cheap 650k. He will only come to me next January, which means that I will need another cheap loanee at the start of the season, or use Festy Ebolele who is not developing at all. He already looks great for a 17 year old and should have a very bright future and give some competition to Jayden Boyle.

 ahmed.thumb.jpg.280e651b51aadd9cf9eef99fe86f2fb5.jpg

Center back cover is another position that I need desperately, but I am still trying to look for coverage. Matt Clarke is a possible returnee for me, but I am still deeply considering whether it makes sense. Axel Tuanzebe will be a dream signing, but I cannot afford his wages or his value. It's something for me to think about.

Lastly, Strelec is decent but has not hit the stride at all. Jack Marriot is deteriorating badly. I might sign him up since his contract is ending but I need someone with real potential quality. I already found a replacement for the 3rd choice striker, though it will be a long haul fight. I put it my personal goal to stir as much trouble as I can with Charlton right now. Nicknamed the "next Geoff Hurst" (I mean, this tells you how great he is, the only English striker that scored a hat trick in the World Cup final), he has a minimum release clause of 22.5 million. I am keen to bargain this down and he will be my number 1 target. I can see him being the next English wonderkid in 1-2 years time with those stats.

20200517174920_1.thumb.jpg.0af2787eebd237df814b8e1d25bd209b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Nice updates, everybody.

@Stackalee Boyce-Clarke is very well rated IRL, but to have progressed that well is excellent and a great reward for picking him up early.

@Impz82 Doing very impressive work there. The Egyptian looks great, as does young Geoff Hurst. Why are you so keen to go to battle with Charlton, or did you mean just over this player?

Edited by Jogo Bonito

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Nice updates, everybody.

@Stackalee Boyce-Clarke is very well rated IRL, but to have progressed that well is excellent and a great reward for picking him up early.

@Impz82 Doing very impressive work there. The Egyptian looks great, as does young Geoff Hurst. Why are you so keen to go to battle with Charlton, or did you mean just over this player?

@Jogo BonitoJust over the player. They playing extreme hard ball. I even offered 14 million and they are like nope. I don't even want to bother with negotiation. 

Edited by Impz82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 minutes ago, Impz82 said:

@Jogo BonitoJust over the player. They playing extreme hard ball. I even offered 14 million and they are like nope. I don't even want to bother with negotiation. 

He's certainly a bit better than Josh Davison, who I stole for free from them at Dulwich Hamlet :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Reaching mid March, and we are in solid 6th position. Way too far behind to get a C league spot (which I personally think we are not ready) but have some breathing space on 7th and 8th by being 9 points ahead, albeit with a game more.

With squeaky bum time, I realise my squad is woefully lack of depth. A few injuries and cautions kicked in, and suddenly I just cannot win away from home. I tried a less aggressive approach with tonali as a defensive midfielder but have not won away from home in the last 4 matches. At least I have a winning recipe at home with 4-2-3-1. If harry wilson, rick van dragon, tonali or ferguson gets injured for extended periods of time, I am screwed. My second team is simply not good enough.

If derby is to qualify for europa cup, we need some high quality reinforcements. I do hope the board give me around 45 mil, if not more. I will target a good cb for cover, the next geoff hurst for future proofing my strikeforce and lastly, going for broke with a cheeky bid of Jude Bellingham, whom I have scouted since the first season.

April is coming and I am truly not sure if I will be 6th, 7th, 8th or even lower with my poor away form. Anyone got tips on good tactics away? HEH.

Edited by Impz82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a good season! Well done so far - queue the typical end of season Derby meltdown...

3 hours ago, Impz82 said:

April is coming and I am truly not sure if I will be 6th, 7th, 8th or even lower with my poor away form. Anyone got tips on good tactics away? HEH.

On away tactics, personally its not something I believe in. In my opinion a home game is just as difficult as the away game against the same team. However for more difficult games I tend to play a similar style but deeper and less expressive. However in this save my base tactic is on a balanced mentality, and my "big game" tactic is on positive in order to increase default tempo/passing length/etc. I then negate the unwanted effects of this with lower LOE/D-line/etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, OJ403 said:

Sounds like a good season! Well done so far - queue the typical end of season Derby meltdown...

On away tactics, personally its not something I believe in. In my opinion a home game is just as difficult as the away game against the same team. However for more difficult games I tend to play a similar style but deeper and less expressive. However in this save my base tactic is on a balanced mentality, and my "big game" tactic is on positive in order to increase default tempo/passing length/etc. I then negate the unwanted effects of this with lower LOE/D-line/etc

@OJ403 That might work. I wanted to bring in another dm because my default formation is a 4-2-3-1 that can be too open away from home. It didnt work though. I am so pissed when simple away games become last minute scramble goals to salvage a draw.

Essentially, I press my opponent into oblivion and makes my players do messi level runs when they got the ball back (many of my players have 14 or more dribble). The critical player in this setup is Tonali, in a deep lying position on defend mentality. He holds his position in the center while everyone else around him attacks like a mad dog

Doesnt work as well away from home. But maybe I can try the lod/d-line part with 4-2-3-1.

 

I am still so new to the fm20 ME and multiple new functions. Like how players complain they need a new contract like every year...

Edited by Impz82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does Jason Knight get on for you guys? He played for my old team Cabinteely and was going to leave him at derby in first season and then buy him for spurs as a squad player as how often do you have a player who played for your old team and grew up in your area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@sidford Knight got pretty good for me, easily capable of being a squad player for a bigger side. I'd be reluctant to leave his development for the first season up to the AI though, personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stackalee said:

@sidford Knight got pretty good for me, easily capable of being a squad player for a bigger side. I'd be reluctant to leave his development for the first season up to the AI though, personally.

 

Really? Would of thought that by getting more game time there then he would with spurs in first season that it would be better to leave him there. Might look to get him in January so if Levy actually gives me any cash to spend 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sidford said:

Really? Would of thought that by getting more game time there then he would with spurs in first season that it would be better to leave him there. Might look to get him in January so if Levy actually gives me any cash to spend 😀

Oh if he's playing it might be okay, I've not checked that much what the AI manager does with him I thought he got used as a sub mostly. Generally I'm just distrustful of the AI with kids and prefer to get hold of them as soon as I can to be fair.

I stopped being lazy and dug out a screenshot of his development for you.

Knight2.thumb.jpg.0b813b400946371bad0db70255aae3cd.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah nice one cheers for that. Decent stats and if he develops like that in my save he would be good enough for a squad spot which would be great. 

Might see if I can get a BYGOF when I bid for Bogle at end of season - don't mean to strip derby of its good young players but anyone's better than Aurier! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sidford said:

Might see if I can get a BYGOF

If anybody is going to try this it's Levy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stackalee said:

If anybody is going to try this it's Levy.

👏👏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Impz82 said:

Essentially, I press my opponent into oblivion and makes my players do messi level runs when they got the ball back (many of my players have 14 or more dribble). The critical player in this setup is Tonali, in a deep lying position on defend mentality. He holds his position in the center while everyone else around him attacks like a mad dog

From that it sounds like it shouldn't be too tricky to adapt to be more counter focused. All you need is more bodies behind the ball (e.g. I also change my FB-S to an IWB-D with Lowe coming out and Matt Clarke coming in) and more space to counter into to take advantage of your players dribbling skills. 

8 hours ago, Impz82 said:

I am still so new to the fm20 ME and multiple new functions. Like how players complain they need a new contract like every year...

😂😂 yeah that is an interesting thing that happens way too often. Its very easy to be confused tbf, the best advice I can give is to take things at face value and not overly read into things to avoid confusion. As much as I know your bantering with the contracts as well, I usually tell them the club cant afford it and unless they're difficult they're ok with it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OJ403 said:

From that it sounds like it shouldn't be too tricky to adapt to be more counter focused. All you need is more bodies behind the ball (e.g. I also change my FB-S to an IWB-D with Lowe coming out and Matt Clarke coming in) and more space to counter into to take advantage of your players dribbling skills. 

😂😂 yeah that is an interesting thing that happens way too often. Its very easy to be confused tbf, the best advice I can give is to take things at face value and not overly read into things to avoid confusion. As much as I know your bantering with the contracts as well, I usually tell them the club cant afford it and unless they're difficult they're ok with it

@OJ403 Yep, still trying to figure it out. I have lost 3 consecutive away matches, and playing Manchester United and Chelsea next. The collapse is real and I am not sure how to stop the rot. I have adjusted my away/stronger formation to this instead. Let's see how it goes. I stopped the counter press and ensure that it's re-grouped to be more conservative with my approach.

 

defensive4-2-3-1.thumb.jpg.418bdb2cb88368879cb8bacc4d7cae40.jpg

I am ending the season on a very difficult schedule

Manchester United (home) - I drew 1-1, cool!

Chelsea (away) - lost 0-4 and it was so depressing, I was looking for the exit button to end the match with mercy killing. It could have been 0-10 if they were more clinical.

Wolves (home) - key match

Brighton (away)

Arsenal (home)

I am struggling to see any wins coming out of these 5 fixtures, so Derby might not be Europa bound :( despite having a lead of 8 points against 7th place.

Edited by Impz82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sidford said:

How does Jason Knight get on for you guys? He played for my old team Cabinteely and was going to leave him at derby in first season and then buy him for spurs as a squad player as how often do you have a player who played for your old team and grew up in your area. 

@sidford It's the end of the second season. His development has been stunted, with Tonali and Ferguson forming the base midfield for me. He plays frequently enough.

knightprogress.thumb.jpg.cec2cc108b8a04dd2bb8504fe006d22b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Impz82 said:

 

defensive4-2-3-1.thumb.jpg.418bdb2cb88368879cb8bacc4d7cae40.jpg

If I was to critique your tactic, I'd say that its very difficult to work out what you want your team to do. You also really lack penetration, with only one attack duty, all your back line on defend and all your midfield (baring Tonali) on support. I'd look for much greater levels of penetration, and fewer instructions to allow your players to attack appropriately in the few chances you get as a weaker team. For example this is my base tactic, with my "big game" system in the subtext:20200518_122620.thumb.jpg.e1b1dc45bf13399f7e03cc3118412d2b.jpg

In my base tactic on a balanced mentality the TIs are as follows:

• Short passing

• Underlap right

• Distribute to CBs and FBs

• Higher D-line

• Tigher Marking

• Offside trap

• plus a split press via PIs on my strikers, LM and RM

In my "big game" system on a positive mentality these are the TIs:

• Be more disciplined

• Underlap right

• Distribute to CBs and FBs

• Counter

• Lower LOE

• Tigher Marking

• plus a split press via PIs on my strikers, LM and RM

Essentially we up mentality to increase the risk level of the fewer attacks we'll have (risk vs reward basically) and have slightly less emphasis on possession whilst remaining loyal to our build up play principles. I also drop the D-line and LOE one level each (however coupled with the mentality increase this isn't worth a whole level decrease) to give us more space to counter into, less space to be countered in and also to offset the raised default levels of the higher mentality

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Impz82 said:

He plays frequently enough.

Does he agree with this? :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, OJ403 said:

If I was to critique your tactic, I'd say that its very difficult to work out what you want your team to do. You also really lack penetration, with only one attack duty, all your back line on defend and all your midfield (baring Tonali) on support. I'd look for much greater levels of penetration, and fewer instructions to allow your players to attack appropriately in the few chances you get as a weaker team. For example this is my base tactic, with my "big game" system in the subtext:20200518_122620.thumb.jpg.e1b1dc45bf13399f7e03cc3118412d2b.jpg

In my base tactic on a balanced mentality the TIs are as follows:

• Short passing

• Underlap right

• Distribute to CBs and FBs

• Higher D-line

• Tigher Marking

• Offside trap

• plus a split press via PIs on my strikers, LM and RM

In my "big game" system on a positive mentality these are the TIs:

• Be more disciplined

• Underlap right

• Distribute to CBs and FBs

• Counter

• Lower LOE

• Tigher Marking

• plus a split press via PIs on my strikers, LM and RM

Essentially we up mentality to increase the risk level of the fewer attacks we'll have (risk vs reward basically) and have slightly less emphasis on possession whilst remaining loyal to our build up play principles. I also drop the D-line and LOE one level each (however coupled with the mentality increase this isn't worth a whole level decrease) to give us more space to counter into, less space to be countered in and also to offset the raised default levels of the higher mentality

I think I panicked and just wanted to park a bus LOL. Yep, you are right. Usually, my wingers are given attack duty, the wing backs given support, but it seems way too open. I can probably consider a lower LOE. This is my slight modification so that we don't engage so high up, have a normal defensive line and ready to spring with high tempo.

nooverlap.thumb.jpg.9e110d79ca93f84a99836f2c2626b9b5.jpg

Edited by Impz82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that @Impz82if I get him in either in Jan or next season best bet likely to loan him out to get some playing time as Troy Parrott is my project who I try to give as many minutes as I can so can't have too many projects like that early on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Stackalee said:

Does he agree with this? :p

No comment. Can we ask more pertinent questions please?

/lolololpressreleasefm20

@Stackalee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Impz82 said:

I think I panicked and just wanted to park a bus LOL. Yep, you are right. Usually, my wingers are given attack duty, the wing backs given support, but it seems way too open. I can probably consider a lower LOE. This is my slight modification so that we don't engage so high up, have a normal defensive line and ready to spring with high tempo.

nooverlap.thumb.jpg.9e110d79ca93f84a99836f2c2626b9b5.jpg

Yeah that looks alot more balanced. The only thing I'd be wary of now is using two WBs, as they're inherently attacking roles. I'd be wary of the one on the left more than the right as Bogle has better cover in Tonali than Lowe does in Ferguson. Although hopefully it should work out ok, I'd still keep an eye out for it.

Have you played on the rest of the season yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Great tactical analysis @OJ403 

Whether right or wrong, I can now see how so many FM bosses get successful with such thought being put in.

 

817775502_Derbyteamguide.thumb.jpg.ba045f55af276eb7661be5c73cef0286.jpg

My Derby squad has now been assembled for the 2020/21 campaign (my first) in League 1. Despite having around £30 million and a massive wage surplus, I wanted to make this different to my time at West Brom, and I reluctantly decided not to sign Matej Vydra on loan due to cost. This was even more tempting when I got the agreed wage contribution down from £37,000 per week to £24,500 per week, but those numbers would have forced me to start him every week though, and playing 433 with one striker would have meant no Marriott or playing Vydra in the hole. 

I then crumbled late on and decided having just Marriott and young Liam Delap (ex-graduate returning on loan) might be a bit risky as I'm more likely to be using Whittaker, Waghorn and Brown (plus Lawrence) as wide attacking players in my 433. That concern saw me sign Klauss on loan from TSG Hoffenheim late on, as he has low wage demands and there is a future fee of £2 million in place. I intend to do that permanent deal as it's good value (and hopefully the same for Delap if Man City are sensible) but will see how  they both do first.

Klauss.thumb.png.08513cdf3f93a62525173a864c41006b.png

Klauss should be a class act at this level, but in hindsight I wish I had probably just signed Vydra. Apart from cost, the reason I didn't was that I would have had to play 4231 (with him in the hole) unless Marriott was injured or out of form, and that formation wasn't my preference. I decided that I would use Bird as cover at right-back for Bogle as he might struggle to start regularly in midfield. I see that te Wierik can also fill in there, even Jordan Brown and Ebosele can step in at a push too. As such, it seemed that buying Darnell Fisher wasn't really essential.

Earlier in the window, I had signed Jackson Irvine who I felt was a great addition to central midfield on a free transfer from Hull. He should compliment the young talents and Shinnie, and wages of £10,000 per week were very reasonable. With Brighton wanting to start using Matt Clarke after his loan ended, I decided that Bielik's old partner at Charlton would give me a good left centre-back option. I'd suggest that Naby Sarr is a bit of a modern day Michael Johnson (or at a stretch even Paul Williams, my Assistant Manager) and he should be solid at League 1 level, with Lee Buchanan (who will be cover at left-back too) able to step in when needed. Kieran O'Hara also arrived on a free transfer to cover for (or take over from) Roos in goal. A loan spell at Burton would have hopefully made him familiar with the area.

1309455192_DerbyCounty_TransferHistory.thumb.png.1b79977a181f9d841f90eb0a7da399ef.png

I had no option but to place the unwanted Rooney back in the squad as it is impossible to get shot of him due to coding. I've not been able to offload Carson, Davies, Malone or Huddlestone yet, I have had offers on all of them agreed but each of them keeps rejecting the moves despite being demoted to the U23 squad and told they won't play. I managed to shift some of the unwanted men, plus Martin and Anya were released on free transfers. So, this is what I am left with to try and get out of League 1. I'll look to use as many of the young players as possible but with West Brom amongst our competitors, I have to breed a winning mentality to get promoted and keep my job.

1663048690_DerbyCounty_Players1.1.thumb.png.6fc68be5cbf4d096a02483d50978603f.png

2069592367_DerbyCounty_Players1.2.thumb.png.9c3f0bca3de991e5b98511d8493cdcb5.png

 

Edited by Jogo Bonito

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm I'd have been tempted to cash in on te Wierik to free up more funds to lure children to the club! Not seen Klauss before he looks like a quality signing for the level, should be a good season that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Stackalee said:

Hmm I'd have been tempted to cash in on te Wierik to free up more funds to lure children to the club! Not seen Klauss before he looks like a quality signing for the level, should be a good season that.

The signing of te Wierik was pre-arranged but I've got about £30 million in transfer funds and a massive wage allowance if I wanted to use it. I'm going to refrain from making an inappropriate comment on the rest of that sentence...

Klauss has played European football this season IRL. Has Italian second nationality hence no WP issues, I have followed him since he had a loan spell in Finland a year or so back. He did well there and in Austria since - probably not good enough for TSG, but should be great at League 1 level. 

Edited by Jogo Bonito

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

The signing of te Wierik was pre-arranged.

Yeah, people are much more willing to immediately be jettisoned in this version of FM though. I dunno, maybe it's cheesy but as he fit neither my nor the boards visions for our signings and I didn't want him stealing game time from the kids, I shipped him out straight away in my save.

When I have doubts over the whole thing I can just remind myself that Coventry turned a profit on Robert Jarni.

Mostly though I was just annoyed at pre-arranged transfers for players I don't want.

52 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I'm going to refrain from making an inappropriate comment on the rest of that sentence...

I'm sure I don't know what you mean!

Edited by Stackalee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, all fair comments. I guess he fitted the manager's philosophy (Cocu) who knew him from time in Holland. I'm just grateful that one year on, I only had one AI signing to get rid of, which was a youth goalkeeper called Harvey Collins you may have spotted in the transfer summary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like they signed the wrong Reading youth keeper!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OJ403 said:

Yeah that looks alot more balanced. The only thing I'd be wary of now is using two WBs, as they're inherently attacking roles. I'd be wary of the one on the left more than the right as Bogle has better cover in Tonali than Lowe does in Ferguson. Although hopefully it should work out ok, I'd still keep an eye out for it.

Have you played on the rest of the season yet?

@OJ403 Just managed to play one more game because my daughter was screaming murder for me to play with her. Just got back and played with Wolves with my usual all action attacking variation. I won 4-1 with 2 set piece header goals from Te Wierik. I realised wolves had only midgets for their central defence, and exploited it by playing for set pieces. Absolutely destroyed them and I think 6th is mine. Strange that it did not say that I qualified for Europa League yet.

I really need an upgrade of CB. I am a bit less inclined to playing two ball playing defenders at the back together, as I ascribed to a BCD - CD approach. Is that still valid, or BCD - BCD is normal now?

I am stopping the advance of my games and acting more like a vulture as I start picking on top players of relegated teams in the top leagues. This guy looks very very good at his age, but with Milan and Roma circling around, I probably have to offer good stuff for him to come. Let's hope his value drops and he has a release clause :)

marashkumbulla.thumb.jpg.8a4367b2f054b1ae1de680a8d259e0db.jpg

Edited by Impz82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Stackalee said:

Hmm I'd have been tempted to cash in on te Wierik to free up more funds to lure children to the club! Not seen Klauss before he looks like a quality signing for the level, should be a good season that.

Hahaha, I see there is a pedobear. LOL, just kidding.

It's called fulfilling a youth philosophy. I am right now looking for down and out youngsters and grab them on the cheap for my 3rd season heh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Impz82 I don't know if he'd count as a youngster anymore at this point but Axel Tuanzebe was transfer listed by United in my save just after the point in time you're at now - he's pretty decent. Also Kumbulla you're looking at I've noticed Verona have a tendency to transfer list, I think they have money troubles (especially after relegation). Ex-Chelsea youth player Jonathan Panzo tends to be pretty cheap from Monaco and provides good cover at left or centre back, he's been excellent for me in my Derby save.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stackalee said:

@Impz82 I don't know if he'd count as a youngster anymore at this point but Axel Tuanzebe was transfer listed by United in my save just after the point in time you're at now - he's pretty decent. Also Kumbulla you're looking at I've noticed Verona have a tendency to transfer list, I think they have money troubles (especially after relegation). Ex-Chelsea youth player Jonathan Panzo tends to be pretty cheap from Monaco and provides good cover at left or centre back, he's been excellent for me in my Derby save.

 

@Stackalee Axel Tuanzebe will be my first choice, being an United fan and I scouted him since day 1. United wanted crazy money for him though, so I do not think it's viable to spend my entire transfer budget on him only, considering I have so many gaps in my team. Kumbulla has very little interest in my team after I scouted him. I will look at Jon Panzo, that name never appeared in my scouting or I don't remember :D

Edit: I think I found my perfect target. Ibanez from Roma is on sale at a very cheap price currently, less than 7 mil. His potential is a bit lacking but he is still a decent defender at 22 years old. Good enough for me haha! He needs a work permit though, and I have very little experience on how to get work permits...FM20's work permit situation is a lot more complex now X_X compared to FM16. I am still learning after 2 seasons on new things hehe.

Edited by Impz82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

image.thumb.png.bf6baa4b5dba5fabcdb51f6cdb06c8b0.png

October was a disappointing month and one that pretty much sums up our season so far. Embarrassingly bad at Barnsley, excellent at home to Luton, wasteful against Charlton and Wigan before collapsing at Hull. 

At Oakwell, we had another one of those games whereby the game was lost by the 20 minute mark. 3-0 down at that point became 4 before half time. A late Waghorn consolation did nothing to easy m y fury. A first half collapse that has become worryingly a theme on times. Thankfully the players responded to my anger with a brilliant performance against Luton. Wisdom, Evans and on loan Harrop completing the scoring. Then away at Charlton we failed to capitalise on our dominance and it cost us with Sam Field putting the Addicks ahead before half time. Lawerence equalised 5 minutes after the break, but that was to be it. Against Wigan, we took our frustrating performances to another level. We dominated, they hold on. We continue to dominate, they go down to 10 men (This should be easy now). We continue to dominate annnnnnnnndddddd it's 1-0 Wigan with just 15 minutes to go.  Thankfully, Waghorn's cross was met with a beautiful Malone volley 1 minute over the allotted time to earn us a point and leave the Latics furious. Then to end our Championship month, we went to Hull. We set up perfectly, containing the home side with a solid 4-1-4-1 and hit them on the break in the 78th minute with former Tiger Huddlestone striking in from the edge of the box. Time to sit back and be smug about my tactical masterclass. 15 minutes later, the final whistle goes and we've lost 3-1 :seagull: We then had the impossible task of going to Anfield in the cup. As you can see I named a weakened side, all but accepeted defeat and played ultra-defensive to try and limit the morale-damage. In terms of accepting defeats, i'll take 2-0.

Whilst it's been hugely frustrating, I am absolutely loving this save. I'm in mid table, above the boards expectations but not too high that I can't improve upon it. I've given plenty of game time to youngsters, Sibley and Knight in particular and there's plenty of room to improve in the transfer market. As the season goes on, my priorities have changed here and there in the market. As already expected, a first choice GK is my main priority moving forward. A CB, winger and striker are the other 3 areas i'm still looking at improving on if i'm able to in January.

All in all i'd say I'm exactly where I want to be at this stage of my save if i'm going to make it last a while (if that makes sense). 

Edited by smplfc123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Season 2 ended with a loud bang with victories over Arsenal and Brighton by a single goal.

With that, Derby has way over achieved in its efforts and secured 6th position, getting a Europa place. I must say i am absolutely happy to even get 6th. If anything, the critical point of my season is to secure the loan and eventually the purchase of Sandro Tonali. He is an excellent base to start and I am glad lewis ferguson forms a formidable partnership with him.

Now, I have destabilised the poor Francesco Martinez (the regen from Charlton) so much, he asked to leave, had an abysmal morale and i secured him for peanuts. Instead of 22.5 million, I managed to steal him for 8.5 mil. Considering Charlton wouldn't budge even at 15 mil a few months ago, they really made a loss.

I also put in an offer for Ibanez who seems to be unwanted by Roma. His work permit will be seeing an appeal and if it doesnt work out, I have to find another player...Ibanez does look good based on scouting reports. Though he seemed like his potential is probably a decent Pl at best. He is ok with 25k wages and squad player though, so I take it. He's an upgrade to Te wierik or wisdom if his wp appeal is successful.  If not, back to the drawing board.

Lastly, as I mentioned, I put in an offer for Jude Bellingham and it was accepted. Sadly, I have to sleep now and cant see if he will accept my contract over Southampton. Again, Southampton is trying to steal my player. I have to start playing mind games with their manager.

All these transfers cost around 16 mil, which means I have 34 more million to spend. Hmmm, perhaps an AML (though archie brown is developing so well!) or another right back while my egypt regen will not arrive until January and might not get a work permit?

Edited by Impz82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.thumb.png.19f56805499fe1bee6a0e89a365efc3a.png

Another totally frustrating month completed. I swear i'm putting on at least 3 years with each one!

An absolutely thrilling home draw came first against a high-flying Boro. They played some excellent football and we did well to come away from that game with a point, thanks to goals from Bielik and Hepburn-Murphy. The first half of the big game followed suit. 2-2 at half time, a brilliant spectacle played at 100 mph with goals from Holmes and Hepburn-Murphy (again) putting us level at the break. Then, we decided to do something we've done quite regularly this season and completely fold. 6-2 down by the 77th minute, we turned in to an embarrassment. A late Marriott pen didn't really help. hen, in typical Derby fashion this season, we followed it up with a flawless 1-0 home win. Excellent although slightly wasteful in attack and resolute in defence, with the game being sealed by a Tom Lawerence effort. An expected defeat followed at Craven Cottage, but once again it was the manner that rankled me. 2-0 it finished, though that was the score line after just 7 MINUTES! Another excellent game of football followed when high-flying QPR visited. After seeing 2 goals ruled out for offside, Marriott finally got his goal ensuring that we took a share of the spoils in a brilliant game.

We've been consistently inconsistent. I need to address the alarming rate of goals being shipped, only 2 teams have conceded more and they are both in the relegation zone. I'm still working on our tactics and the philosophy, something that I hope to have nailed down by next season so that we have a clear plan and identity. 

Keeping in faith in Roos and Hamer to cover the GK slot was clearly a massive mistake. Roos, along with Forsyth, has already agreed a transfer to head to the MLS in February next year. On the plus side, Bielik has been deployed as a HB in recent weeks and has performed excellently. 1 definite piece of the puzzle for going forward.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@smplfc123 Some tough ones there mate. I'm sure you'll get the right changes put in place soon, hopefully the board won't lump any pressure on you until then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@smplfc123 i am no fm expert, but I have a feeling the inconsistent play stems from the type of players we have at the club. They dont seem to be particularly determined, a lot of disjointed philosophies in terms of player recruitment and strange players on monster wages that should be appalling (Anya for 29k wages wtf???).

While I did win the sky bet league, I won despite of the players and due to my recruitment of good solid base. I am admittingly leading an exodus of the old players at this point. Have to keep Lawrence the show boat. He does well sometimes.

I think to not upgrade on gk, even a temporary one is a very bad idea. Its one of the clear weakness in the squad and you should try to look for an upgrade asap.

Edited by Impz82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@smplfc123 is that 4-1-4-1 you are playing? If so, 1 slight adjustment I'd make personally is move Bielik at that back, taking over from Curtis Davies who is already retired in my save and move Rooney into the holding, set as a DLP. 

Bielik is a gem and is arguably better at centre half than as a holding midfielder and Rooney, from my experience anyway, will absolutely boss at DLP. He was pulling in ratings of 8 plus regularly for me in the championship whilst there. Hes certainly no BBM anyways that's for sure. 

You mentioned before about wanting a CB in the transfer window. I picked up Ryan Porteus from Hibernian in the January transfer window S1. I think I managed to get a deal for 800k plus another lump sum of around the same after appearances. It's worth sticking a scout on him. If my memory serves me well he was 19 at the time and already 3 stars with potential 4. For 1.6mil hes a steal mate. And as for a winger, Success at Watford! Should be loan listed on yours as he has been on everyone else's and that's enough said! The guy is a monster in the 2nd tier! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, smplfc123 said:

Keeping in faith in Roos and Hamer to cover the GK slot was clearly a massive mistake. Roos, along with Forsyth, has already agreed a transfer to head to the MLS in February next year. On the plus side, Bielik has been deployed as a HB in recent weeks and has performed excellently. 1 definite piece of the puzzle for going forward.   

Looks like a tough start to the season. I've also found S1 hard with us though as we have a very disjointed squad. And on Bielik as a HB, its nice to see someone else using him in midfield. Based off his loss of pace after an injury in my save and also my real life opinion I don't see him as a centre back, as has been popular in this thread. He now plays as DLP-D or a CM-D in my save. He's definitely best suited to a midfield role in my opinion.

 

14 hours ago, Impz82 said:

Season 2 ended with a loud bang with victories over Arsenal and Brighton by a single goal.

Looks like the tactics worked out in the end, which is really good news. Even better news that Tonali is staying though. The signing of Francesco Martinez looks to be a steal too. If I recall wasn't he English? If so I love an English player with an exotic name...

 

41 minutes ago, Luke6 said:

@smplfc123 is that 4-1-4-1 you are playing? If so, 1 slight adjustment I'd make personally is move Bielik at that back, taking over from Curtis Davies who is already retired in my save and move Rooney into the holding, set as a DLP

This seems to be the common trend in the thread. Out of interest how does Bielik perform at the back for everyone? As above, hes never really played there for me, instead in the first two seasons forming a formidable partnership with Rooney as an AP-A and CM-D duo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...