[FM20] Manchester United: Falling Giant...

stevemc

1 hour ago, MatthewS17 said:

I've got a midfield 3 of Emre Can, Paul Pogba and Kai Havertz. Can is my DM(S). I'm alternating Havertz between AP(S) and DLP(S). Starting to think I should have opted for Neves instead. Anyway, anyone have any suggested roles to get Pogba into a goalscoring role in the team, using this formation? I tried MEZ(A), but then he just gets in the way of the IF(A), and as a B2B, he tends to have more bad games. Rather confused about what role is going to be suitable for the style I'm aiming to create. 

I like to use Pogba as a DLP on support. On a side where the winger cuts inside and the fullback bombs ahead. This ensures that he controls play, sprays passes while also taking long shots (I want to use this specific trait of his, so it works out). Otherwise, you can try him as an AP. He will go ahead and score, but still be making plays. However, you have to also take other roles into consideration, as an AP has relatively less defensive responsibility. 

Also, a mezzala works if you have an attacking IF. He will take up half spaces created on the wing (vacated by the IF). He may come in conflict with an attacking full back in that instance, though. I would think a Box-2-Box will get in the way of an Inside Forward, since they will try to vie for the same space (I tend to use a B2B on the same side as a Winger on support, so as to try to create attacking overload, and encourage triangles of passing between them (and either the full back or my deep striker)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BillyM19 said:

Any advice on signing Florentino Luis? I have planning on buying him in the first window if I remember they were demanding around £60m. I'm in march now and they want just over £100m!

Anyone signed him later on?

I had transfer budgets off and asked the board to sign him approaching the January window and they got him for £67M. I think he's worth the money if you have it. I play him as a BWM which isn't natural to him and it took him that half of the season to settle in but by the time my second season came around he was picked for almost every game he could play, became super reliable.

August 2021 - S3 opening day

Following the last update, we went to the club world championship and lost to Bayern in the SF and Liverpool (again) in the 3rd play off. Was just ready for the season to be over tbf, just glad to get through it without picking up more major injuries. Just had the community shield which we won on penalties against Man City, not a particularly good match from either team which doesn't bode well as we open the season at Liverpool and hosting Chelsea.

Notable Outs: Paul Pogba to PSG £124m. Previously discussed this was likely to happen, think we did well to squeeze that amount out of them, £90m paid up front. Daniel James to Chelsea £61m. I was willing to move on from him but hadn't even tried to before this offer came in, maybe could have tried to negotiate for more but imo wasn't worth risking them rejecting and losing what is already a big offer. Birger Meling to Al-Ittihad £8.75m. Was a cheap squad player in season 1 but was out on loan last season and just not room for him in the squad anymore. Eric Bailly to Zenith £23.5m. Moved away from a back 3 last season so made sense to move on a centre back. Fred to Inter £31m. He actually proved to be a useful squad player last season but still just felt he wasn't the best fit so happy to be able to move him on. Luke Shaw to Arsenal £43.5m. He was earning far too much to be second choice behind Reguilon plus his injury record meant I wanted to try and cash in even though it's an England International. Aaron Wan-Bissaka to Tottenham £38.5m. Spent last season on loan at Inter but just like Shaw on far too big a wage for a back up.

Notable Ins: Cengiz Under from Roma £45m. Now we are playing more with wingers and James gone I wanted to get a top quality player on the right opposite Sancho. Franck Kessié from Milan £40m. Just a physical beast in the middle of the park, unhappy and listed, will help fill the Pogba loss. Jude Bellingham from Birmingham £17.5m. Will probably play for the U23s for most of the season, but with his versatility I think he can replace Lingaard whose contract expires at the end of the season. Bruno Fernandes from Sporting £59m. The more technical replacement for Pogba.

Made a nice profit because of the Pogba sale, most of the window was spent looking for young defenders because we were lacking that in the U18 and U23s but it was really hard to find many that it was possible to bring in. That means our squad looks like this and I think we have good cover in the U23s if needed and some will probably get some first team football throughout to try and help develop them.

utdaug21.thumb.PNG.85b24879b697e56b1aeba950e9444f35.PNG

Now for Liverpool who we've lost the last 4 meetings against...

On 17/12/2019 at 02:33, sean_oc16 said:

I just got Denis Arnaud from Angers U19. Not sure if you can call him "top class" because his coaching atts aren't great, but his mentals and knowledge are fantastic and his preferences are to play 4-2-3-1 gegenpress if you like that.

I'll have a look at him but I tend to prefer playing a 4321 counter attack with 4231 gegenpress as my secondary tactic so he may not fit in.

So finally got round to doing the summer, getting prepared for season 2 and to push on from our 3rd place finish and Europa league win from the 1st season.

So my transfers were

1954983966_season2transfers.thumb.png.977c4bad101480ad8e4d83ecc7d10dc1.png

A fair few outs, Pogba was 115mil upfront with rest in instalments and I didn't even hesitate in accepting. Also young and Grant retired, with the rest of the outs we managed to clear some deadwood, and most importantly I have managed to reduce the wage bill, which was one of my main targets.

I tried to keep most of my buys realistic with younger players coming in. All of my buys were also relatively cheap on wages, with the highest earner getting 150k. Matuidi was brought in for his experience, Dembele and Ajer were cheap transfers that were no brainers really. I chose Bailey over Sancho in the end purely because of the wage demands and agent fees, and Maddison was agreed back in March of the 1st season.

So going into season 2 this is how we will line up and what our bench looks like.

889700478_best11.thumb.png.6403830722cda6882ca89c92c1cb184a.png

I'm quite happy with that team, left back is the only area I'm not happy in, Williams will be 1st choice, but I shall look to replace Shaw at some stage.

Does everyone in here use their own tactics or do you download some? I can never bring myself to use other people's anymore as it needed up getting boring for me but on the other hand I'm pretty terrible at analysing tactics, I don't have much of a tactical brain at all so I'm not great at adapting when losing etc.

21 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Does everyone in here use their own tactics or do you download some?

I don't use download tactics - especially not ones that just exploit the ME. On the other hand, I'm not much good at coming up with entirely original tactics on my own. I tend to read threads/blog posts where people explain their approach, and how they change things in different situations, so I can understand what the tactic is meant to do, and what I might change when it isn't working.

I also have a few 'rules of thumb'. I will not use a tactic that includes 'get stuck in' - in fact, most of my tactics use 'stay on feet', generally because I hate playing out a game with 10 or 9 players, and longer term I hate having players unavailable through bans. I won't use a tactic that relies on an attacking mentality as standard because, like you, I'm not great at spotting issues in game - if I'm losing and my only option is 'very attacking' I'm not comfortable with that.

With Man Utd, I almost always end up playing some kind of 433dm, or 442. I've never really got on with the 4231, and especially not with this United team where it doesn't get the best out of Pogba (just as in real life!) Last year with United, my most successful tacic was a kind of 442 with Martial pushed up to the AML line, Lukaku and Rashford as strikers, and Mata/Lingard rotating as WPs on the right. Won three consecutive PL titles, and two back-to-back Champion's League. Haven't got it working this year because no Lukaku, and Mata and Lingard have been (realistically) downgraded. This year I think I'm looking at a narrow diamond, a 433dm, or some variant of back-three with two strikers. 

Finally got my new season underway, and 4th game is Liverpool (default fixtures) and just laughed them out of Old Trafford, 4-0 :D
We just walked all over them, and Martial missed a penalty just before HT when 3-0 up.
Beat Leicester 3-1, lost 1-0 at City, came back to beat Norwich 2-1, and now artificially top knocking Liverpool off in the process simply because we've played that match before the others played their 4th. Ended the weekend in 2nd, just a point behind Arsenal who've had 4 easy games. I've already had Shaw pick up 2 injuries (3-4wk and 1wk) which doesnt fill me with confidence, as i think we can make top 4 with the team we have, but injuries will be a huge issue.

I'd started the season with 4231 Control Possession, with 433 wide CP and 433 Gegenpress just training in the background. I dont like starting a season with Gegenpress as i feel the high intensity early on creates problems with late match stamina levels, however they seemed to finish the previous game alright and had a week to recover, so I switched it up. I'll likely rotate between them 3 tactics over the course of the season, see how it goes. I'd normally have bought someone for AMC, giving more reason to play someone in the middle, but with the choice of Lingard, Mata & Pereira, its not ideal. I'd rather use Pogba and/or Fred in an AP-A role while McT or Matic provides cover.

On 20/12/2019 at 02:12, warlock said:

I don't use download tactics - especially not ones that just exploit the ME. On the other hand, I'm not much good at coming up with entirely original tactics on my own. I tend to read threads/blog posts where people explain their approach, and how they change things in different situations, so I can understand what the tactic is meant to do, and what I might change when it isn't working.

I also have a few 'rules of thumb'. I will not use a tactic that includes 'get stuck in' - in fact, most of my tactics use 'stay on feet', generally because I hate playing out a game with 10 or 9 players, and longer term I hate having players unavailable through bans. I won't use a tactic that relies on an attacking mentality as standard because, like you, I'm not great at spotting issues in game - if I'm losing and my only option is 'very attacking' I'm not comfortable with that.

With Man Utd, I almost always end up playing some kind of 433dm, or 442. I've never really got on with the 4231, and especially not with this United team where it doesn't get the best out of Pogba (just as in real life!) Last year with United, my most successful tacic was a kind of 442 with Martial pushed up to the AML line, Lukaku and Rashford as strikers, and Mata/Lingard rotating as WPs on the right. Won three consecutive PL titles, and two back-to-back Champion's League. Haven't got it working this year because no Lukaku, and Mata and Lingard have been (realistically) downgraded. This year I think I'm looking at a narrow diamond, a 433dm, or some variant of back-three with two strikers. 

Interesting, thanks.

I looked at the team and as I'm planning on disabling the first transfer window (for the first time ever) I now at least know what I have to work with. I agree with you in that a 4231 doesn't get the best out of Pogba at all, he's not good enough defensively to play in the '2' and the AMC slot doesn't exactly suit him, he's more suited to playing in the MC position as a box to box midfielder or something like a mezzala. I always like my striker to be the top goalscorer in the team, that's kind of why I prefer 4231 as the striker has AMC support vs 433. I always struggle to get the lone striker in a 433 to score regularly, and feeling like I have to play him on a support role to balance things out, but I have noticed this year a lot of people playing a 433 with their lone striker on an attack duty, so I might try that and see how it works, I've always been told to keep the lone striker in a 433 to support, especially for a possession orientated system. Like you, I've also been looking at the 41212 (diamond) for this team, but in the end I still think the 433 will suit Utd the best. 433 and 4231 are the only shapes I feel comfortable with, I wouldn't be sure how to set up a stable diamond nevermind a 3 defender tactic, lol.

Good thing about Utd is that you have great resources so you can cover tactical mistakes with better players, also the fact that the board aren't too demanding for the first few seasons it seems, going by the club vision. Media prediction of 6th shows how far Utd have fallen, which is what makes a Utd save more appealing now. I used to avoid Utd on FM because they were at the top already but now it's a good save to get them back there and competing again, like I wished would happen irl! 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

Been a long while since I posted anything, having an absolute blast playing this years version.

First team squad

rCQwwM6.jpg?1

First team tactics

8ZuuNQM.jpg?1

Shamelessly taken from Rashidi, minus a fair few instructions.I prefer letting ppm's influence what happens during a game.

We don't score bucket loads but we don't concede either in fact just 4:eek: in 23 league games.

Although this game came out of nowhere.

g7B8A1x.jpg?1

The Carabao Cup was won with an easy 3-0 win over Leicester, we've got Spurs next in the FA Cup 6th round and Juve at home in the 2nd leg of the Champions League 1st knockout round.

2 hours ago, axehan1 said:

Been a long while since I posted anything, having an absolute blast playing this years version.

First team squad

First team tactics

8ZuuNQM.jpg?1

Shamelessly taken from Rashidi, minus a fair few instructions.I prefer letting ppm's influence what happens during a game.

We don't score bucket loads but we don't concede either in fact just 4:eek: in 23 league games.

Although this game came out of nowhere.

Where'd you get the Rashidi tactic that you based this on?   Please and thank you.

So, it goes down to the final game of the season.

Ourselves and City level on points, with ONE goal separating us.

Weirdly enough, we're both at home to end the season, with Huddersfield coming to Old Trafford and Forest going to the Etihad. Both of us are likely to win, but I've never had a title race this close in all my many years playing CM/FM. Squeaky bum time indeed!

pic.jpg

4 hours ago, PaulC2K said:

Has anyone seen FM achieve anything as realistic as this before?

ewarwoowar.thumb.jpg.f14e816938c6868e9b4da57b94ec51e1.jpg

Put Havertz as a transfer target late Sept on a closed window start, and the next day Ed's made an offer. I look at the next mail, he offered 600k. Its uncanny.

Wow! What an offer why would turn down such a lucrative deal! 

On 22/12/2019 at 00:54, Halson said:

So, it goes down to the final game of the season.

Ourselves and City level on points, with ONE goal separating us.

Thats bonkers! How'd it end??

I've just entered December, after a strong start we seemed to struggle but still do enough to win. I was 5pts behind City in 2nd, Liverpool 3pts behind me in 3rd. Then a handful of games later i hadnt even noticed their first defeat, but the live table had me move ahead of City who were losing against Liverpool. They lost 3 on the bounce, and now after 18 games City are 4pts behind me and 1 ahead of Liverpool (who just 0-0'd v Everton) and now i suspect things might get more tense cos we'll drop plenty of points in the second half as matches come flying in think & fast as i dont really have the quality in the squad for back-to-back important games. The first 6 months are easy cos typically its a weak Europa side clogging up the fixture list and sticking a few kids in with Mata, Matic, Pereira, Jones, Young etc. When its FAC & EL knock-outs, and a top-6 side in there too, we're too thin.

That said, transfer funds have finally arrived and i've already kinda broke my 2-3 summer, 1 winter signing policy, I added Haaland as i'd always planned, and i had to move on Luis as Liverpool had, now they might be moving on to Dias and im contemplating stepping in there with a deal arranged for the summer.

Martial is doing great, 12 in 16 league games (missed 3/5 pens though), but a lot of his goals seem to come from balls played from deep over the defence for him to run onto 1-on-1. Against the sides who pack the defence, we struggle just as IRL, and Haaland was very useful in games like that in my original game. He's a bully in the box.

Has anyone signed Eriksen? That move strikes me as an authentic Utd move, rather than Bruno who seems to be slightly better and younger too. I'd like a CAM option, and ive gone with Bruno in the previous save and last years game, so dont really want to keep repeating the same game.

Not started my save yet, I was set on a 4231 for Utd but tbh as I mentioned a few days ago, I don't think a 4231 suits Utd, mostly because of Pogba. A 4123 (4141dm in game) is a more solid and balanced shape anyway, which lets Pogba get forward from midfield. So many MC roles suit Pogba: Mezzala, Box to Box, RPM etc. Even when Pogba leaves, 4123 suits more players in the game I find. I do like the 4231 but I find it a little more rigid. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

59 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Not started my save yet, I was set on a 4231 for Utd but tbh as I mentioned a few days ago, I don't think a 4231 suits Utd, mostly because of Pogba. A 4123 (4141dm in game) is a more solid and balanced shape anyway, which lets Pogba get forward from midfield. So many MC roles suit Pogba: Mezzala, Box to Box, RPM etc. Even when Pogba leaves, 4123 suits more players in the game I find. I do like the 4231 but I find it a little more rigid. 

Ive been considering having 4141 DM-Wide as one of my rotational tactics. 433, 4231 & 4141 dm-wide. Not much difference between them, just the midfield organisation depending on the team we're facing.

In my previous save i had Pogba (DLP-S) & vdBeek (CM-S) with Bruno in CAM, and Pogba was amazing, he had a spell of about 10 games where he was regularly on the scoresheet (7-8 goals) and plenty of assists too. Im sure he ended up 2nd highest goalscorer, but probably because Martial & Rashford only had spells where they were great, and then Haaland was the main striker from Jan on, so they hit double figures, but Pogba played more games and that helped.

What ive never been sure on is whether im better off playing to a specific formation & style as already defined, or whether i should adjust it to match the players preferences. Im not talking about playing people in positions unsuited to them (ie Matic as DLP), but taking one they rate at 80% with, and using a 100% one. 
Am i basically taking a working tactic and weakening it bit-by-bit by telling everyone to do what they're best at (100% role), rather than whats needed of them (60-80% role), and could an inferior quality end up being better simply because they're used correctly, and vice-versa. 

1 hour ago, PaulC2K said:

Ive been considering having 4141 DM-Wide as one of my rotational tactics. 433, 4231 & 4141 dm-wide. Not much difference between them, just the midfield organisation depending on the team we're facing.

In my previous save i had Pogba (DLP-S) & vdBeek (CM-S) with Bruno in CAM, and Pogba was amazing, he had a spell of about 10 games where he was regularly on the scoresheet (7-8 goals) and plenty of assists too. Im sure he ended up 2nd highest goalscorer, but probably because Martial & Rashford only had spells where they were great, and then Haaland was the main striker from Jan on, so they hit double figures, but Pogba played more games and that helped.

What ive never been sure on is whether im better off playing to a specific formation & style as already defined, or whether i should adjust it to match the players preferences. Im not talking about playing people in positions unsuited to them (ie Matic as DLP), but taking one they rate at 80% with, and using a 100% one. 
Am i basically taking a working tactic and weakening it bit-by-bit by telling everyone to do what they're best at (100% role), rather than whats needed of them (60-80% role), and could an inferior quality end up being better simply because they're used correctly, and vice-versa. 

Mate, I just sat do what you want. If it doesn't work, well then that's football, yeah? Experiment. Have fun. 

Playing 4-4-2 , signed Sancho, Haaland, Chilwell, Bentancur & Emre Can (January) . Martial is absolutely Insane ! Leading premier league top scorer with 24 goals , 21 games . 

G - De Gea

WB-S - AVB / Dalot

CD-D - Lindelof

BPD-D - Maguire

WB-S / IWB-S - Chilwell / Shaw

MR - W-A / IW-A - Sancho

BWM / B2B - Can / McTominay

AP-S / DLP-S - King Pogba / Bentancur

ML / AML - IW-A - Rashford / James as ML

AF - Martial / Greenwood

PF-A - Haaland / Rashford

Edited by CR#7

3 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

How many of you in here started with the first window disabled? I'm considering trying it for the first time. 

I have, quite a good challenge with this man utd squad, as the squad is very unbalanced. 1st time I had ever done it as well.

So after I had done my 2nd season transfers, I wasn't happy, mainly as I wanted to keep Pogba, or at least properly replace him and I didn't felt that I had done that very well at all, so I decided to start over and start again.

I again started with the 1st window disabled, cleared the staff out and brought the same people in, I also brought Partey in again in January.

Oddly my 1st season went very similar to what it had done previously. We finished 3rd, 1 point worse off than the previous save, Liverpool were just too good.

532405113_leagues1.thumb.png.e80e6b83a8a0646b502ced35e8b8a7fc.png

We had a heart breaking loss in the carabao cup final to City.

592249297_s1carabaoloss.thumb.png.dd5dd0191a7d27fa296214917baf01f4.png

But we ended the season on a high winning the Europa league, just like in the previous save.

1661580756_s1europawin.thumb.png.d9508c84537e8325651a9046ef7bf236.png

Rashford dominated the season scoring 35 goals in all comps, and also getting 13 assists. Other standouts were Wan Bissaka and Greenwood, who got 15 goals. 

Rashford also lead England to victory at the Euro's, top scoring in the comp and getting 2 goals in the final.

So on to my transfers for season 2, hoping to get it right this time.

158883639_s2transfers.thumb.png.46ede372d84f8ff90830ef57bcfa3cfe.png

Bailey and Ajer were brought in again, but this time opted to get Grealish and Reguillon who everyone was raving about.. I wasn't going to buy a striker but felt needed one for depth, wasn't going to touch Haaland as literally everyone is buying him and after initially going for Belotti, I went back and decided to go for Werner as I have never used him and he always seems to do well.

Matic, Young and Grant were all released. Shaw was tricky to sell and had to pay 40k of his wages to get rid, but with Reguillon coming in and Williams being 1st choice in the 1st season he had to go. Henderson stays on loan at Sheff Utd on loan for another season. Quite happy managed to get rid of most of the deadwood, and the squad looks much better going into season 2 than it did on my previous save.

So my best 11 looks like this:

359133542_best11.thumb.png.af40b56c76a8e16bf96610f2c9a0e136.png

EDIT: Went back and re did some of the summer, so instead of buying Belotti, I went for Werner instead.

1 hour ago, sedge11 said:

I have, quite a good challenge with this man utd squad, as the squad is very unbalanced. 1st time I had ever done it as well.

Yeah I've decided to try it. I'm not starting my save until I finish building my new PC, I would have had it done by now but one of the parts was dented so I had to return it and buy another one :( Should be here Tuesday I would think so I'll probably start some time next week. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

Here’s my Man Utd story so far. I chose to start with them because a) I’m a fan and b) I’ve always found the best way to get into a new FM is with a top side initially where things are a little easier. That said, I also felt United are a bit of a challenge this season!

First priority was transfers - bringing in quality in midfield and defence. Not to mention clearing out the deadwood.

In came:
Maddison for £30m
Van der Beek for £23.5m
Ajer for £20m

I then panicked a bit about firepower up front and brought in Moussa Dembele from Lyon for a reasonable £26m for rotation with Martial. Finally, just before deadline day, Kehrer came up transfer listed for £4.5m which was too much of a no-brainer to turn down.

In terms of outgoings, I was much less successful:
Matic, Jones, Rojo, Garner and Williams all went out on loan
Sold Bailly for £8m to Atletico Madrid when it became clear a work permit for a contract renewal was going to be a problem.

In January I signed Haaland for £17.25m and soldFred for £24.5 to Southampton.

Over the course of the season I found my squad pretty well balanced with cover in most areas. Only point of regret was loaning out Williams and leaving Ashley Young as my only backup left back.

Stars of my team were Rashford (33 goals in 50 starts in all comps) and Daniel James (19 goals in 41 in all comps) both playing from AML and AMR respectively. James was a big surprise, but he was lethal in the opening months of the season.

I won my opening 11 games of the season before having a real wobble in December while trying to juggle rotation in the squad. Things picked up again from January though and I was in the running for the League, FA Cup and Europa League.

Unfortunately I was hit with injuries to Pogba (2 weeks) and Van Der Beek (6 weeks) just before the Europa League Semi against Arsenal. I was left with Ajer, Pereira and McTominay in the centre of midfield for home and away against Arsenal in the EL semi, then back-to-back league games with City (H) and Liverpool (A). Miraculously I won all of them.

Annoyingly though I still fell short of City, missing out by 2 points. But worse was to come. I lost to Burnley on penalties in the FA Cup final and then 1-0 to Valencia in the Europa League. I dominated bother games completely but it just wasn’t my day(s).

facupfinal.thumb.png.337ac5445e2773f0c8f228240eb3f97f.png

EuropLeagueFinal.thumb.png.6f29702e0ae5087915fdf7ecc4d6c9d1.png

Now, my plans for the second season were dictated by the fact Paul Pogba wouldn’t agree to a new, reasonable contract and ultimately I had to sell him for £90m to Barcelona. He would need to be replaced and I went for Milinkovic-Savic from Lazio for £75m.

An opportunity also came up to swoop for Harry Kane, who was unsettled. Another £75m outlay secured him. I also added an unknown (to me) Ukrainian right winger as backup for James for £16m - Victor Tsygankov.

And this time I was very successful with that dead wood! Out went:
Romero for £8.75m
Kehrer for £7.5m
Sanchez for £10m
Rojo for £4.7m
Jones for £17.5m
Fosu-Mensah for £9.25m
Lingard for £14.25m
Dembele for £22.5m (reluctantly but was unsettled by Kane’s arrival and I didn’t need him anyway)

My season started pretty badly with far too many draws, at the end of November I had a record of: W5 D6 L2 including, in my last fixture of November a 5-0 drubbing from Arsenal. At this point I was under a bit of pressure from the board.

Thankfully, things have picked up and now, midway through February I have won all 13 league games since that 5-0 disaster. And am currently on an 11-game streak without conceding in all competitions. I’m currently 3rd in the league but my poor start means i’m a good way behind Liverpool and Arsenal at the top, but I am clawing it back.

Here's my current form:

form.thumb.png.70ed7f87e2bab141bc56fb1b62534243.png

Things are going well, but I have the enviable problem that Haaland is playing like an absolute beast right now and, although Kane is pretty reliable on the goalscoring front he’s not playing all that great. Also, I’m not able to give Greenwood the opportunities I want to with Haaland and Kane ahead of him. I’m considering a tactical switch to get two strikers in the team, but things are going so well at the moment it doesn’t feel like the right thing to do. My other option is to possibly sell Kane while he still has big market value, but i’ve only had him for 7 months and it will no doubt cause unrest among the team.

Here’s my current First Team squad:

squad.thumb.png.fb673dcc670a68f2ef1a08afafd81362.png

And here’s the tactic I’m using - i’ve recently adopted a more direct approach with balls in behind the opposition in transition which works great with Rashford, Haaland and James.

tactic.thumb.png.0b41be60d5d444f74b5e30e727708488.png

Just finished my second season with United, finishing 3rd in the league, made it to the Semi final of the FA Cup and Carabao Cup, got knocked out by Real Madrid on away goals (:() in the first knockout round of Champions league not brilliant but it's a very young squad I have seeing as I've tried to remove the dead wood (only Sanchez left to get rid off, may also try to move on Bailly (he is turning into a liability) and Lingard he's ok just not suitable for the way I want to play). Highlight of the season has to have been Man City's finish position of 11th (Last season they won it with an unbeaten season so it was some drop in form) I kid you not! Surprise of the season Norwich City getting 4th place ahead of Chelsea and Spurs. So the Canaries go into the qualifying rounds of the Champions League for the first time ever!!!! I have attached the final league table as proof. (I have not used the in game editor even though I have it active I forgot to turn it off at the start of the game). Rashford was once again my top scorer although he didn't score as many as the previous season but still 20 in all competitions is acceptable. Goals were spread round the squad more this season which I'm glad to see now if I can just find a way of cutting the number of draws down next season I should be on target to challenge for the title.

Screenshot (7).png

On 30/12/2019 at 14:20, dozzie said:

Here’s my Man Utd story so far. I chose to start with them because a) I’m a fan and b) I’ve always found the best way to get into a new FM is with a top side initially where things are a little easier. That said, I also felt United are a bit of a challenge this season!

First priority was transfers - bringing in quality in midfield and defence. Not to mention clearing out the deadwood.

In came:
Maddison for £30m
Van der Beek for £23.5m
Ajer for £20m

I then panicked a bit about firepower up front and brought in Moussa Dembele from Lyon for a reasonable £26m for rotation with Martial. Finally, just before deadline day, Kehrer came up transfer listed for £4.5m which was too much of a no-brainer to turn down.

In terms of outgoings, I was much less successful:
Matic, Jones, Rojo, Garner and Williams all went out on loan
Sold Bailly for £8m to Atletico Madrid when it became clear a work permit for a contract renewal was going to be a problem.

In January I signed Haaland for £17.25m and soldFred for £24.5 to Southampton.

Over the course of the season I found my squad pretty well balanced with cover in most areas. Only point of regret was loaning out Williams and leaving Ashley Young as my only backup left back.

Stars of my team were Rashford (33 goals in 50 starts in all comps) and Daniel James (19 goals in 41 in all comps) both playing from AML and AMR respectively. James was a big surprise, but he was lethal in the opening months of the season.

I won my opening 11 games of the season before having a real wobble in December while trying to juggle rotation in the squad. Things picked up again from January though and I was in the running for the League, FA Cup and Europa League.

Unfortunately I was hit with injuries to Pogba (2 weeks) and Van Der Beek (6 weeks) just before the Europa League Semi against Arsenal. I was left with Ajer, Pereira and McTominay in the centre of midfield for home and away against Arsenal in the EL semi, then back-to-back league games with City (H) and Liverpool (A). Miraculously I won all of them.

Annoyingly though I still fell short of City, missing out by 2 points. But worse was to come. I lost to Burnley on penalties in the FA Cup final and then 1-0 to Valencia in the Europa League. I dominated bother games completely but it just wasn’t my day(s).

facupfinal.thumb.png.337ac5445e2773f0c8f228240eb3f97f.png

EuropLeagueFinal.thumb.png.6f29702e0ae5087915fdf7ecc4d6c9d1.png

Now, my plans for the second season were dictated by the fact Paul Pogba wouldn’t agree to a new, reasonable contract and ultimately I had to sell him for £90m to Barcelona. He would need to be replaced and I went for Milinkovic-Savic from Lazio for £75m.

An opportunity also came up to swoop for Harry Kane, who was unsettled. Another £75m outlay secured him. I also added an unknown (to me) Ukrainian right winger as backup for James for £16m - Victor Tsygankov.

And this time I was very successful with that dead wood! Out went:
Romero for £8.75m
Kehrer for £7.5m
Sanchez for £10m
Rojo for £4.7m
Jones for £17.5m
Fosu-Mensah for £9.25m
Lingard for £14.25m
Dembele for £22.5m (reluctantly but was unsettled by Kane’s arrival and I didn’t need him anyway)

My season started pretty badly with far too many draws, at the end of November I had a record of: W5 D6 L2 including, in my last fixture of November a 5-0 drubbing from Arsenal. At this point I was under a bit of pressure from the board.

Thankfully, things have picked up and now, midway through February I have won all 13 league games since that 5-0 disaster. And am currently on an 11-game streak without conceding in all competitions. I’m currently 3rd in the league but my poor start means i’m a good way behind Liverpool and Arsenal at the top, but I am clawing it back.

Here's my current form:

form.thumb.png.70ed7f87e2bab141bc56fb1b62534243.png

Things are going well, but I have the enviable problem that Haaland is playing like an absolute beast right now and, although Kane is pretty reliable on the goalscoring front he’s not playing all that great. Also, I’m not able to give Greenwood the opportunities I want to with Haaland and Kane ahead of him. I’m considering a tactical switch to get two strikers in the team, but things are going so well at the moment it doesn’t feel like the right thing to do. My other option is to possibly sell Kane while he still has big market value, but i’ve only had him for 7 months and it will no doubt cause unrest among the team.

Here’s my current First Team squad:

squad.thumb.png.fb673dcc670a68f2ef1a08afafd81362.png

And here’s the tactic I’m using - i’ve recently adopted a more direct approach with balls in behind the opposition in transition which works great with Rashford, Haaland and James.

tactic.thumb.png.0b41be60d5d444f74b5e30e727708488.png

Dunno if anyone read this... but I feel like the FM AI somehow did... When i picked up the game again, both Kane and Haaland got injured in training and I went on to be absolutely dire against Swansea and lose, breaking my good run!!!!

Just started my 3rd season decided to cash in on Pogba as he didn't want to sign a new contract (I did try but 500k a week in wages was taking the micheal), a bit disappointed to only get 66million (81 million with add-ons) but at least I got some money back. Not replaced him as I feel the lads I have midfield wise (McTominay, Renato Sanches, Maddison, Olmo and Viera) were hungry for success. That said I did buy another young midfielder in the transfer window a 'wonderkid' from Argentina called Almada who set me back 15.75 million going by his figures I may just have a bargain on my hands, also noticed that Patrick Roberts (a player who I have had success with in previous editions with Celtic) had been transfer listed by Man City for 9 million so I took a risk (I know signing players from rivals can upset fans) as he gave me options on the right wing. Finally I took another risk on a young defender who was recommended by one of my scouts Toby Sibbick from Barnsley. Now 6 games in things aren't going too badly I did lose the first game of the season 2-1 to Newcastle (the jammy so and so's scored in the last minute)  but since then I've 5 very convincing wins including a 3-0 drubbing of City (Roberts made himself a hero in that game by scoring one of the goals again his former club)and in 4th position (all 3 clubs above me have yet to lose). Meanwhile City are doing a little better than last season (currently 5th and 3 points behind me) but Harry Kane has quickly become upset with the club and has requested a transfer.... 

Screenshot (8).png

The World Cup being in December 2022 has really done me over. One point behind Liverpool going into the World Cup break. Most of my players made it to the semis and final.

They returned knackered so I had to send them all on holiday. Had to field extremely under-strength teams against West Ham away and Newcastle away which resulted in 0-2 and 0-1 losses, now I'm 4 points behind Liverpool with that lot having a game in hand. So annoying.

i succumbed to temptation and purchased fm20. 

just having a little play around before i start a proper season. prob wait till the final patch is out for that.

just curious as to what peoples preferred formation is on this edition? 

i love a good old fashioned 442 but i would love to see if anyone has managed to get a narrow 4231 working tactic. this was my favourite formation on an older version of fm (fm10 i think) but i havent really seen it since. 

be interesting if people still use it. 

im coming to the end of my first season with united and have been tinkering with this formation most of the season. martial upfront has scored 39 goals so far (all comps)

On 05/01/2020 at 03:22, Footygamer89YT said:

Any advice for usong 4-2-3-1 with United can never usually get the striker or CAM to work

I am playing 4-2-3-1 with United.

Had an incredible last season (2027/28) and I played the following for those two roles:

CAM as Attacking Midfielder > Support - Thiago Almada

ST as  Advanced Forward > Attack - Kylian Mbappe

1881876546_Screenshot2020-01-06at14_37_42.thumb.png.a4ea2f98716bf8b87b24e7d5161d9f11.png

They are flanked by Mason on the left wing as Inside Forward > Attack and Haaland on the right side as Inside Forward > Attack

My two in midfield are both deep lying playmakers, one defend and one support.

My full backs are both set to Wing Back > Support

I play direct passing as well and "exploit the flanks"

Edited by FourFourRED

I've used a 5-2-3 formation with CWB on attack, Alex Telles and Dalot. Telles had most assists and we finished third. second season Pogba left and bought Tonali on the cheap. Won the title just ahead of challengers City and Liverpool. I'm new to FM but I think I got my tactics spot on, best defense in the league both seasons, which is hard considering how attacking both fullbacks are. Haaland as a pressing forward, Rashford as a inside forward left, Tonali as a DLP on defend partnering with Wanyama (bought cheap also) Mctominay or Charlie Mccan (Youth) usually BBM or BWM. A back four of Tuanzebe and Umtiti on BPD cover, maguire on BPD defend. Ethan Laird is also breaking into the first team behind Dalot. The fullbacks supply attacking width, which is crucial to Man Uniteds philosophy even if its not in Club vision in this game. Any ideas for going for it in Europe?

Edited by Nol1968

The amount of one-on-one's being missed on this game is actually laughable. Literally every game my striker is through on goal and it results in either a corner or the player just running straight into the keeper. They really need to fix this issue.

On 06/01/2020 at 21:50, Halson said:

The amount of one-on-one's being missed on this game is actually laughable. Literally every game my striker is through on goal and it results in either a corner or the player just running straight into the keeper. They really need to fix this issue.

Just been testing on FMT and the one on ones are disgraceful, 9 times out of 10 your striker will miss and it happens to the AI too.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

January 2022

utdjan22.thumb.PNG.39af02c785dac339e1871910d6d0acc2.PNG

Results for the season so far. My main tactic recently has been a direct counter 4-2-1-3 which is responsible for the increase in clean sheets. Belotti has been better this season and has already matched his league goal tally of last season (13) in half as many games with just 1 fewer assist too. Pleased with the performances of some of the U23 lads too when they've stepped up.

Eduardo Camavinga just joined from Rennes for £17.5m. He was unhappy and listed by request so I jumped in to get him. One of those 'because we can' signings, quite heavy on the centre mids now and he may leave on loan before the window closes.

In the cups we have Arsenal in the League Cup semi, Oxford in FA Cup 4th (another chance for the youngsters) and Juventus in CL KO1.

Not much else to update I think, just need to find time to be able to play in bigger chunks and get through the seasons faster.

I haven't started a proper save yet, just been messing around in FMT testing various potential tactics with Utd over 10 games or so. Anyone else struggling to get Pogba to perform? Andreas Pereira outperforms him for me, and by a large amount. I think I will definitely sell Pogba without being sad about it. I was considering starting 1st season with transfers off but I feel the team needs a few more players at the start so may keep the window turned on, tough decision. 

Anyone got suggestion on getting Rashford scoring from playing on the Left wing? In Jan and hes not playing well and scored under 10 goals overall all comps. Feel like he's not playing anywhere near what he should be. Especially from others having him scoring into like 30's a season 

Manchester United is one of the most fun teams to play.You could buy superstars or you can develop your own players through the academy.I play gegenpress 4141 ıın this tactic u need a right winger and left back at least first season u dont need to but a lot also u can use academy players to fill in.Mason greenwood is star player martial and rashford also your best options ı played rashford as ınsıde forward martial at top rotating with greenwood.I won the league 4 season ın a row and last 2 was so hard ı was down by 12 points against arsenal and ı lost hope but ı won all big games and they start losıng ı won league by3 points.won Euro league first season 2year eliminated to liverpool at champions league next year semi final lost to liverpool again and 4th season won the final against chelsea

I’ve done 2 seasons with United now. Their revenues are so high I’ve concentrated mostly on improving the squad initially (losing deadwood and strengthening depth) and getting everyone I want to keep happy.

Season 1 - Qualified for CL and got to the EL final losing narrowly to Bayern Munich. Not a great performance in the cups.

Season 2 - Finished 2nd in the PL (took Liverpool to the last day but lost by a point). Lost 3-2 in the CL final to Atletico Madrid in stoppage time, knocked out in the FA Cup semis to Liverpool.

In terms of the squad I’ve got the deadwood out anyway possible so by the start of season 3 I would have lost; Romero (free), TFM (free), Jones (£15m), Rojo (£6.5m), Matic (free), Mata (£6m) and a few fringe players.

Sanchez, Smalling and Bailly have all been out on loan for 2 seasons as I can’t get any permanent offers for them, hopefully that will change this summer as I’ve got very low asking prices for them again and Smalling just won Serie A with AC Milan (may try p/ex for Kessie who has requested to leave). 

In terms of transfers in, I’ve tried to make long-term signings for the future; Chiesa (£51m - Scouts said Berna was injury prone), Todibo (£65m), Chilwell (£60m), Ake (£40m), Berge (£25m), Fernandes (£40m), Guimaraes (£15m), Haaland (£30m)

Pogba is currently refusing to sign a new deal due to long term interest from Barcelona. PSG made a £86m bid which I rejected and he isn’t bothered, but there’s only 12months left on his deal and I want to get £100m or keep him, so it may end in tears. 

So in terms of depth the squad looks decent:

GK - DDG, Henderson, Pereira

RB - AWB, Dalot

CB - Lindelof, Maguire, Todibo, Ake, Tuanzebe

LB - Shaw, Chilwell, Williams

CM - Pogba, Fernandes, Berge, Guimaraes, McTominay, Pereira

RW - Chiesa, Lingard

LW - Rashford, Martial, James

ST - Greenwood, Haaland

Typically play a 4-2-4, which has seen us ship a few goals but the individual performances of Greenwood (~25 goals), Haaland (~25 goals), Rashford (~40 goals) carried us this season. 

Aiming for a net transfer profit this season as I’ve done my deals early and bought 3 South American talents (including Almada) for about £16.5m and providing nobody I want to keep leaves, I probably won’t make any more signings (save for cheap wonder kids, and a potential marquee signing) and hope to ship out a lot of deadwood (or at least use the Sanchez new deal tip to reduce his wages - but he just got 15 goals on loan at Norwich so hopefully someone will take a punt on him).

On the marquee signing point, Liverpool bought Dybala who carried them to a double this season and Chelsea have (despite being an EL team) unsettled Mbappe so I may have to swoop in to try and steal him. 

Expecting some younger players such as Chong, Garner, Gomes to move on this summer as they haven’t performed/developed well on loan and I want to maximise playing time for youth players who will make it into my first team. The youth intake has had some really good talents both seasons.

In terms of managing the club as a whole, I took Luis Campos from Lille as DoF when I took over and then left the staff alone (bar filling the odd vacancy) until end of season 2. I wanted to improve the scouting team so had to mutually terminate a lot of scouts (I had 42 with an allowance of 16 and the board wouldn’t increase at all!) but some were very mediocre. Have paid over the odds to get some really good ones in but my knowledge and network has taken a battering for the short term. Paid £750k in compensation to take a 71 year old scout from Sporting CP who announced his retirement in 2 weeks time the day after he joined.

Once the final scouts are in place, I will start on the coaches. I love having ex-players about (Nicky Butt, Patrice Evra) but I don’t think they have enough impact compared to quality stats so will probably see them be replaced this summer or throughout the season. Nick Cox will also go as he has been dishing out contracts to players that need to be shipped out. 

Stadium expansion completes this summer and facilities are all state of the art so expect a solid season of blooding some youth players and increased revenues to come! 

Will upload some screenshots next time I play.