Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
stevemc

[FM20] Manchester United: Falling Giant...

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, simonbyrneno.4 said:

Anyone getting great performances out of Rashford? Struggling to get goals out of him as inside forward attack from the left. How are others using him?

Same role. He scored 14 and assisted 10 in a defensive team for me. I'll get more out of him this time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, simonbyrneno.4 said:

Anyone getting great performances out of Rashford? Struggling to get goals out of him as inside forward attack from the left. How are others using him?

Pressing Forward (Support) in a 4-4-2. Hit 30 last season, and looks good to get the same this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is a FM20 thread for MUFC but could I ask for some advice re my FM19 Man Utd team.

Thanks

1. I have De Light coming in for next season soI could potentially sell Smalling and keep Jones (or should I keep Smalling)

2. Left back as I plan to sell Rojo, Young and Darmian so would be short but I do have Grimaldo coming but could still do with another option.

3. Planning on selling Valencia so again I would be short

4. Am considering selling Matic and Mata, not sure who I can get to replace these 2.

5. Not sure about selling Sanchez, I feel he played well but he is 30 and his value isn't going to increase is it, if I do sell who could I get to replace him, would like to go for youth.

Just finished the 2018/2019 season.

Spiegel has give me some pointers on the thread I started here

1015543845_ManchesterUnited_Overview.thumb.png.d1ed79ff2a62ea5b714bc374feb52c86.png

Edited by User0912

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Halson said:

Well well well. Brexit is not happening! 

image.thumb.png.8dbd861f5563309a222908417f6c2f16.png

 

Interesting. Is this happening for everyone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PaulC2K said:

Its random, unless you disable it with the editor beforehand (or download a ruleset that does it) like i did :D

I'm not sure how I feel about that, will it happen irl? Who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it had a lot of ppl unimpressed when it was hitting their save last year, not aware that Brexit was even a thing in the game, getting 18mo into a save and then up pops the news.

IMO it kinda sucks when we're all playing the same game, same starting point, but 2/3 of people have a different set of rules (im aware some will find that hypocritical), because their virtual brexit went differently. Its not like the chance of getting a sugar daddy owner or something, its involving politics into a game, when the outcome hasnt been decided IRL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone getting the best of Martial? What role and PIs are you using? I'm trying play with him as IF-A

Edited by hbsssj

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, User0912 said:

I know this is a FM20 thread for MUFC but could I ask for some advice re my FM19 Man Utd team.

Thanks

1. I have De Light coming in for next season soI could potentially sell Smalling and keep Jones (or should I keep Smalling)

2. Left back as I plan to sell Rojo, Young and Darmian so would be short but I do have Grimaldo coming but could still do with another option.

3. Planning on selling Valencia so again I would be short

4. Am considering selling Matic and Mata, not sure who I can get to replace these 2.

5. Not sure about selling Sanchez, I feel he played well but he is 30 and his value isn't going to increase is it, if I do sell who could I get to replace him, would like to go for youth.

Just finished the 2018/2019 season.

Spiegel has give me some pointers on the thread I started here

1015543845_ManchesterUnited_Overview.thumb.png.d1ed79ff2a62ea5b714bc374feb52c86.png

 

Here you go

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/12/2019 at 22:14, simonbyrneno.4 said:

Anyone getting great performances out of Rashford? Struggling to get goals out of him as inside forward attack from the left. How are others using him?

I got 31 goals out of him as an inside forward and occasional Striker in the Advanced Forward role in my first season. Second season he's been a slow starter (as is the rest of the team) but even so he now has 3 goals in 8 appearances in the same position. Martial meanwhile has struggled to get into double figures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, PaulC2K said:

Yeah, it had a lot of ppl unimpressed when it was hitting their save last year, not aware that Brexit was even a thing in the game, getting 18mo into a save and then up pops the news.

IMO it kinda sucks when we're all playing the same game, same starting point, but 2/3 of people have a different set of rules (im aware some will find that hypocritical), because their virtual brexit went differently. Its not like the chance of getting a sugar daddy owner or something, its involving politics into a game, when the outcome hasnt been decided IRL.

I haven't played a British save for years now so have never encountered Brexit but I will when I start my Utd save over the next week or so. Not sure whether to edit Brexit out or not. Personally, I don't want it to happen in real life but can't say for certain it won't happen so may just leave it in. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Woolly said:

I got 31 goals out of him as an inside forward and occasional Striker in the Advanced Forward role in my first season. Second season he's been a slow starter (as is the rest of the team) but even so he now has 3 goals in 8 appearances in the same position. Martial meanwhile has struggled to get into double figures.

Using any PIs with that or is it just standard inside forward? Using an attack or support duty?

I've been using him in an AML position with inside forward attack role. Start wider (to try isolate the full back), roam from position and shoot more are his PIs.

Got 18 goals in his first season but hoping/think I should be able to get more out of him. 

Martial as an Complete Foward Attack has 35 goals in 40 games for me. Exceptional return from him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I started a new Manchester United after previously playing with them on the BETA and boy what a fun first season.

Started with transfer budgets disabled this time around so no signings to begin the season.

Strong form through the first half but I wasn't happy with McTominay or Fred as Pogba's partner in midfield (Matic left to Al-Ahli in November) so I asked the board to sign Florentino Luis which they did for £67M so I know I at least have backup coming there in January. I had been playing with Martial as the AF and Rashford as an IW on the left until Rashford broke his ankle at the start of December. Thought to myself oh well I guess I need to find a replacement since he's out for 4 months, hmm I wonder how Greenwood would do up front if I shifted Martial to the left? The answer: brilliantly. Greenwood went on to become my top goalscorer with 32 goals across 44(7) appearances in all competitions, with 18 goals in the PL to finish 4th in the Golden Boot (Martial finished 3rd on 19). So great I can put money elsewhere so I targeted Christian Eriksen straight away to replace Mata (especially since Lingard's abilities seem to have been reduced since the BETA when he was so OP it wasn't funny). Got him in took him a few games to settle but did really well. Bailly leaves for Wolfsburg and Shaw gets injured in January so I sign Alex Telles from FC Porto for the left-back spot and even after Shaw's return he still outperformed him.

Knocked out of the Carabao Cup by Man City in the Quarter Finals. Lost winning the league after being on top most of the season with 2 matches to go after we only managed a draw against Aston Villa which allowed City to overtake us and win the league by 2 points. If we had of won against Villa we would've won the League on goal difference. Speaking of goal difference in La Liga Atletico Madrid won the title on 91 points ahead of Real Madrid and Barcelona... who also finished on 91 points but Atletico had the better goal difference. Don't think I've ever seen a three way tie.

Lost to City (again) in the FA Cup Final in extra time after Wan-Bissaka got sent off. Won the Europa League against Lazio 3-0.

Greenwood is named our player of the year.

Some concerns heading in to next season: Need to get rid of Fred, Jones (he's asked to leave and I actually wouldn't mind keeping him because he's performed well), Smalling, Sanchez (got him down to 200K p/w but still want him gone), Mata. Lingard might leave and Florentino Luis will have til January to prove himself as he's not performed that well since arriving. Right wing is an area of concern with Daniel James being my main option but he is rather inconsistent. Have a Belgian 17 year-old goalkeeper coming in as well as a few newgens. Not sure who I'm going to be looking at to be honest. If I receive a decent bid for Martial I'll let him go after Greenwood's emergence as the main striker.

Fun season, disappointed to lose it all late (especially to City) but a solid foundation to build on. I have noticed a lot of teams seem to have been nerfed a bit. Liverpool aren't unbeatable anymore (4th), Leicester are horrid (relegated) and Tottenham aren't too flash either (9th).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RazorsEdge said:

I have noticed a lot of teams seem to have been nerfed a bit. Liverpool aren't unbeatable anymore (4th), Leicester are horrid (relegated) and Tottenham aren't too flash either (9th).

I’m only at the end of Jan in my 1st season, but Liverpool are top by 4-5 points and Leicester are 4th.

I too started with 1st window disabled, then got injuries mainly all in midfield early season and struggled for consistency, but through December and January we have picked up and am 3rd trying to chase down city.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

I’m only at the end of Jan in my 1st season, but Liverpool are top by 4-5 points and Leicester are 4th.

I too started with 1st window disabled, then got injuries mainly all in midfield early season and struggled for consistency, but through December and January we have picked up and am 3rd trying to chase down city.

 

Not too far off the new season... Brought in some good signings but lost Pogba to PSG... £161M all up (£115M upfront I believe).

Transfers out:-
Phil Jones to Wolves for £15.5M
Paul Pogba to PSG for £161M
Juan Mata to Fiorentina for £15M
Alexis Sanchez to Fiorentina for £19.5M
Jesse Lingard to Tottenham for £20M
Marcos Rojo to Boca Juniors for £5.5M
Fred to Monaco for £21M
Chris Smalling loan @ Roma extended for extra season

I wanted to keep Phil Jones as he actually performed well in the latter half of the season but he wanted a new challenge so I had to let him go. Pogba wanted to leave when the bid from PSG came in. Mata I wanted to move on as he's getting older. Sanchez I managed to sign to a £200K p/w contract in the previous January window and then shipped him to Fiorentina but I'm paying some of his wages still. Lingard was really inconsistent so he went, too. Rojo was bad last season when he was on loan at Levante so made sense to cash in on him. Fred just didn't suit my play style at all. And Smalling I had no intention of playing and Roma were happy to extend his loan.

Transfers in:-

Vic Chambaere from KRC Genk for £2M - 17 year-old 'keeper prospect
John Bloor from Red Star Zurich for free - 16 year-old 'keeper newgen
Martin Bassett from Sesvete for free - 18 year-old striker newgen
Kai Haivertz from Bayer Leverkusen for £80M - replacement for Pogba
Angel Correa from Atletico Madrid for £40M - scouting for right wingers to give Daniel James some competition as he was inconsistent and it popped up that I could get Correa, who had a great season with Atletico as they won the La Liga, was available for relatively cheaply so I snapped him up.
Nathan de Schepper from Debrecen for £725K - central defender newgen
Dayot Upamecano from RB Leipzig for £86M - central defender to give us 3 world class defenders in him, Lindelof & Maguire
Konrad Laimer from RB Leipzig for £28.5M - good ball-winning midfielder that can play in a few other positions and suits my system better than Fred did
Benjamin Henrichs from AS Monaco for £7.5M - Diogo Dalot demanded to leave on loan for development so I had no backup RB after already loaning out Ethan Laird so Henrichs popped up in my scout reports as available for relatively cheap and I think he will be a solid player

Predicted lineup is:-

GK(DE) - David De Gea / Sergio Romero / Dean Henderson

RWB(AT) - Aaron Wan-Bissaka / Benjamin Henrichs
BPD(CO) - Victor Lindelof / Dayot Upamecano
BPD(DE) - Harry Maguire / Axel Tuanzebe
LWB(DE) - Alex Telles / Luke Shaw

BWM(DE) - Florentino Luis / Konrad Leimer / Scott McTominay
MEZ(AT) - Kai Havertz / Andreas Pereira

IW(AT) - Angel Correa / Daniel James / Tahith Chong
AP(SU) - Christian Eriksen / Andreas Pereira / Hannibal Mejbri
IW(AT) - Marcus Rashford / Anthony Martial / Tahith Chong

AF(AT) - Mason Greenwood / Anthony Martial

Also Timothy Fosu-Mensah floating around as an utility player. Think I might need another backup striker and central defender to really round out the squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Season 1 - Review

Can't remember if I have ever done a Man U save in previous FM's but this seems like a good time to try and revive their fortunes.

Transfers

With the squad already being pretty decent I decided to add pure quality rather than quantity and targeted a new LB, DMC and ST. Fortunately I was able to bring in my first choice in each position, manipulating the initial £100m budget just enough to allow a net spend of £112m. Sadly offloading players proved a little more difficult. There was one major change in January, with Everton coming in to replace Mata (Mata had performed well in the first half of the season, but I wanted to replace him sooner rather than later).

Transfers.thumb.PNG.b2f5c73af893d68e8db2e38c1d6f7b31.PNG

Formation

I decided on a fairly standard 4-4-2 formation.

Formation.thumb.PNG.dab095a5d07ee0204be514e6f36e5cfd.PNG

The Season

Results1.thumb.PNG.4caf3d6c52a75a20b0bab0608baca0c6.PNG

Results2.thumb.PNG.7b19863562963f33dfa6172e15d8cfb3.PNG

Results3.thumb.PNG.0a6f37fce5a95849b96bf5f4693ed48d.PNG

Competitions.thumb.PNG.1e3726a8477e06555f5090ccd90b8d5e.PNG

The PL season was much easier than expected, going top early on and never dropping out of top spot. Based on a couple of other saves I have done I was expecting a much harder fight from Liverpool, especially having signed both Grimaldo and Milik from under their noses (both players were in negotiations with them when I made my bids and both players said Liverpool was their preferred destination).

138043660_PLtable.thumb.PNG.03ca9b53e0a15e5303882b4967c80265.PNG

The Carabao Cup wasn't deemed important by the board and was a good opportunity to experiment, with my reserve side taking a beating from a full strength Liverpool side despite a good performance. We topped a relatively easy Europa League group before comfortably beating Besiktas in the first knockout round. In the second knockout round a 1-0 home win against RB Leipzig (should have been at least 5-0) wasn't enough after Daniel James got sent off inside 5 minutes in the return leg, eventually leading to a 2-0 defeat (2-1 on aggregate) despite our best efforts. A double was on the cards after an easy run to the FA Cup final, before Arsenal won an extremely even game by being more clinical in front of goal.

End of Season

The squads performance was excellent and everyone chipped in, Victor Lindelöf being the only outfield player not to register a goal. Rashford and Milik were unstoppable up front (Rashford scoring an incredible 5 hattricks during the season), and Lingard providing an extremely respectable 17 assists. The biggest surprise of the season was Tahith Chong who chipped in with 12 goals in just 15 starts.

Squad.thumb.PNG.f933bfdb153638621f869522047b836b.PNG

A brilliant Premier League season saw a number of awards come our way;

417062726_EnglishFOTY.thumb.PNG.3280a9da9342c796e10af728a3f831da.PNG

804264332_PlayersPlayerOTY.thumb.PNG.db3c0f8d560e1548edf267e1a1b007f0.PNG

(unbelievably Lingard was left out of Englands' 2020 European Championship squad)

1081814646_PlayersYoungPlayerOTY.thumb.PNG.9094f6c6a39654924b1c0faf0cc2e39a.PNG

While we also dominated the Premier League Team of the Year;

2084279187_PLTOTY.thumb.PNG.3f384cea0ed6f3d5a51bec9897a3b99a.PNG

And brought with it three new Man Utd Premier League records;

1164060493_ManUrecords.PNG.d6eb39af4e845d9496f334c1db34114f.PNG

Next Season

After such a good season I was hoping for a decent transfer budget and the board duly delivered;

Budgets.PNG.f53d8528f1f32002f9c16e2e8c3a6ca7.PNG

Now for some fun!

Edited by Spike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RazorsEdge said:

lost Pogba to PSG... £161M all up (£115M upfront I believe).

That's a really good fee for Pogba though, plenty to reinvest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So finally managed to get some time and get through January.

24372592_janbusinesss1.thumb.png.57c231d1e7be09e931c218af06f408d8.png

The highlighted sections are my business. I had a deal for Emre Can almost sealed for 43 mil, until I saw Partey listed for 8.75 mil, so I went for him instead, he also only want 75k a week in wages.

A few outs, Bailly never played, Fosu Mensah just hasn't developed well and Jones has an optional fee of 19mil in his loan so hopefully Everton buy him. Matic has also agreed to leave at the end of the season.

It was a quiet window really considering I disabled the 1st transfer window, but a lot of my rebuild is planned for the summer, and there's a few players I can't make my mind up on so thought would give myself extra time to think, and can then also continue to develop the youngsters.

So far after a very patchy start with plenty of injuries to the midfield, we have got ourselves upto 3rd. We are in the carabao cup final against Man city, have Torino in the Europa 1st knockout, and have an fa cup 4th round replay against Bournemouth to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2019 at 20:37, simonbyrneno.4 said:

Using any PIs with that or is it just standard inside forward? Using an attack or support duty?

I've been using him in an AML position with inside forward attack role. Start wider (to try isolate the full back), roam from position and shoot more are his PIs.

Got 18 goals in his first season but hoping/think I should be able to get more out of him. 

Martial as an Complete Foward Attack has 35 goals in 40 games for me. Exceptional return from him

Standard inside forward in attack I think not currently in that save so can't confirm. My tactics is a 4321 with instructions for the two WBs to overlap the wingers, getting a decent advanced playmaker was the key for me, most of the assists for his goals came from Maddison or Olmo. To be fair he hasn't scored so many yet in the second season but I've lost both Maddison and Olmo to long term injuries and I'm reluctant to put Pogba in the role as he was/is awesome as a DLP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So after been given £240m to spend at the beginning of season 2 my business is complete, with a net spend of £122m;

Transfers.thumb.PNG.1b10dfbcaf6c24b6c352f22fa49fde4e.PNG

My first team and reserve team are now as follows;

606579519_1stXI.thumb.PNG.c111105a0e9b264df0aa5bdc6345ddb1.PNG1420393203_2ndXI.thumb.PNG.bc1cdff41e5ef6c4861d2edb9e3579c0.PNG

Hopefully should be able to challenge on all fronts with the strength in depth.

Edited by Spike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

June 2021

utdapr21.thumb.PNG.074fcc51f00635ff091a0e873a7c35ba.PNG

So many big matches to end the season, was without Tousart and Sancho for all this period, managed to add the league title to the league cup trophy but couldn't run the gauntlet of other English teams in the CL. Liverpool did us in the FA Cup earlier in the season too which Man City ended up winning. Now into June and started playing the club world championship.

PSG have come in with a £90m bid for Pogba, think I'm resigned to selling him now or lose him for nothing next season as he's wanting to go so just a case of trying to squeeze them for as much money as possible and dealing with the aftermath of the remaining players being unhappy. Tottenham have come in for Henderson, on the fence about selling him because of his homegrown status, Real Madrid have shown interest in Belotti and Eriksen, not sure what to do if bids come in. I would like to move on Fred and Bailly for sure, maybe James and Shaw too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sean_oc16 said:

June 2021

utdapr21.thumb.PNG.074fcc51f00635ff091a0e873a7c35ba.PNG

So many big matches to end the season, was without Tousart and Sancho for all this period, managed to add the league title to the league cup trophy but couldn't run the gauntlet of other English teams in the CL. Liverpool did us in the FA Cup earlier in the season too which Man City ended up winning. Now into June and started playing the club world championship.

PSG have come in with a £90m bid for Pogba, think I'm resigned to selling him now or lose him for nothing next season as he's wanting to go so just a case of trying to squeeze them for as much money as possible and dealing with the aftermath of the remaining players being unhappy. Tottenham have come in for Henderson, on the fence about selling him because of his homegrown status, Real Madrid have shown interest in Belotti and Eriksen, not sure what to do if bids come in. I would like to move on Fred and Bailly for sure, maybe James and Shaw too.

It seems like Pogba wants to leave in most saves. I let him go for for 100m and haven't looked back. Even in my first season, he was outclassed by a much cheaper Bruno Fernandes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2020-2021.thumb.PNG.b5ae8ea6284f8c7b77db52a67ecfc0ae.PNG\

 

Disappointing that a season that would have made us champions in something like 70% of the seasons from the past decade was only good enough for a second place due to who crazy Liverpool is this year. De Gea even set a record with 27 clean sheets, and only conceded 20 in 35 matches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Indrid Cold said:

It seems like Pogba wants to leave in most saves. I let him go for for 100m and haven't looked back. Even in my first season, he was outclassed by a much cheaper Bruno Fernandes. 

Good to know, Fernandes is one of the players I have been looking at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, sean_oc16 said:

Good to know, Fernandes is one of the players I have been looking at.

Fernandes is a beast, but he is much more effective as a Mezzala or B2B midfielder. Beastly numbers. Pogba is immense in most roles, but most often, it is as a DLP (Support). I reckon I like the look of Frenkie de Jong for the role if I ever sell Pogba. Or, get Verratti as a stop-gap for a couple of years, and promote Mejbri to the first team squad. He looks to be developing like a beast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Windows crash on wednesday so the programmer didn't manage to save my game. I want to kill him. He try to transfer all the graphics and just quit after 3 hours of backing up logos and faces. But he didn't save my game which is less then 100MB :seagull:
I started new save and Ruben Dias went to Liverpool for 42mil£ so I look for substitute. Any idea?

Tah is expensive and Upamecano too. Maybe Nikola Milenkovic, is he good as in FM19?

Also can't  bring Haaland and Tonali for barging money everything goes up in the sky. Everton from Gremio, I bring him at the end of first season with James Rodriguez and Regulion on free, is not interested in negotiation even though Gremio accept 20mil£!!!!

Agony!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, milan_manutd said:

My Windows crash on wednesday so the programmer didn't manage to save my game. I want to kill him. He try to transfer all the graphics and just quit after 3 hours of backing up logos and faces. But he didn't save my game which is less then 100MB :seagull:
I started new save and Ruben Dias went to Liverpool for 42mil£ so I look for substitute. Any idea?

Tah is expensive and Upamecano too. Maybe Nikola Milenkovic, is he good as in FM19?

Also can't  bring Haaland and Tonali for barging money everything goes up in the sky. Everton from Gremio, I bring him at the end of first season with James Rodriguez and Regulion on free, is not interested in negotiation even though Gremio accept 20mil£!!!!

Agony!!!!!

Haaland and Tonali get interested in January, you can try for them then. Don't really need a CB in the first season, IMO, Lindelof and Maguire are good enough to cover for each other, and Tuanzebe should be breathing down their neck already, And there's Bailly. Reguilon is beastly, he is a good buy. I just went for a right winger in Chiesa, because the squad lacks natural depth on the right, and so far, he has been outstanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So season 1 has now finished, and after some early inconsistency because of injuries and because I had disabled the 1st transfer window, the season ended quite well.

888864893_leagueseason1.thumb.png.d38a9eab61d3a5d8444eb579018fa898.png

I was quite happy with 3rd, we had a bad start, but we thought back and only lost 4 games, it was draws that hampered us.

We did however win the Europa league, beating Arsenal in the final, Partey my only signing in Jan scoring the winner.

1530690246_europaleaguewin.thumb.png.6756a7516493c6875f55747d10f053c3.png

We lost early in the fa cup, and lost to Man city in the final of the carabao cup after extra time, Rashford got sent off in extra time as well which didn't help. We did get revenge on City, by beating them 4-0 in the league to end their title hopes, with only a couple games left.

Players wise, Rashford was unbelievable and was the talisman all season, because of that I may not buy another striker.

1040940961_rashfordseason1.thumb.png.1985a88e8ff31cf23062b2dd3a0fc99e.png 

Other standouts were James, Mctominay, Wan Bissaka and Brandon Williams, who made the left back spot his own. Sadly Williams missed the Europa final due to having to play in the French youth invitational, which is incredibly annoying as I would of started him, but he still got a medal, thanks to the new medal system fm are using.

So onwards to season 2. This summer is going to be a busy one. I had disabled the 1st transfer window and had a quiet jan, so a lot will happen in the summer, to take us up a level to challenge for the title and to bring it back home.

Ins

I have a deal for Maddison already done for 60 mil, he had a brilliant season for Leicester so had to pay quite abit. I will need another cm, am looking at cheaper options in Eriksen on a free, Paredes from Psg who is transfer listed or Ajer from Celtic. I will also be looking at a right winger, with Sancho, Bailey and Bergwijn the 3 main targets. 

Left back is also a possibility, but with Williams emergence I will leave that for now.

Outs

There is going to be a few outs, with Matic already agreed to leaving to some middle east team, Youngs contract expiring, plus hopefully Jones, Smalling and Sanchez will all leave after their loans. Pogba is also someone I'm willing to sell with PSG sniffing around, and maybe Mata as well. That should clear a massive chunk of wage budget which is the aim.

 

UPDATE: Tonali and Chiesa have both been transfer listed by request, so may now be my main targets.

Edited by sedge11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking to sign Thiago Almada in the Jan window (first season) although it said he will fail to gain a permit even on appeal. What are the options?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sherkey said:

Haaland and Tonali get interested in January, you can try for them then. Don't really need a CB in the first season, IMO, Lindelof and Maguire are good enough to cover for each other, and Tuanzebe should be breathing down their neck already, And there's Bailly. Reguilon is beastly, he is a good buy. I just went for a right winger in Chiesa, because the squad lacks natural depth on the right, and so far, he has been outstanding.

Yes you're right I bought Tonali in january. Bailly is 6-8months away because of injury and I want to get rid of Jones.

Right now going for Tah (60mil£ + Matic).

Also there is difference that in my first save I easily sold Fred, Matic, Mata, Rojo, Young,...

ooohhhh I'm soooo frustrated that I have to do it all over again from the start.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@sedge11 What role are you using Rashford in? Not started my save yet but I'm seriously considering starting with the first window transfers off, even though it will be painful. Never done that before in any FM though (as well as having attribute masking on which I'm definitely doing for the first time). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hbsssj said:

Who's the best for RW: Everton, Bailey or Chiesa?

My recommendation would be Chiesa. My scout reports told that Bailey would find it difficult to get a WP. Chiesa takes a while to settle, but then is gold. And is interested to join from the beginning. Honestly, outside of him, I would go for Sancho, and not Bailey or Everton (in the later seasons, when Sancho is interested)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sancho was too expensive, but he was my first choice. I brought Chiesa. First i tried him as Winger, but since I changed the role to IW-S he start to improve his performances

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hbsssj said:

Who's the best for RW: Everton, Bailey or Chiesa?

For me Bailey, on fm19 he was quality and improves a lot, and on my beta save with Ipswich, I kept an eye on him and he improves massively this year as well.

Wouldnt worry about the work permit, I’m buying him and easily get one on appeal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

@sedge11 What role are you using Rashford in? Not started my save yet but I'm seriously considering starting with the first window transfers off, even though it will be painful. Never done that before in any FM though (as well as having attribute masking on which I'm definitely doing for the first time). 

I mainly play him on the left as an inside forward on attack, but also got a few games as a complete forward as a lone striker.

He was a lot better on the left.

It is painful at the start especially if you get injuries, but adds to the challenge.

Edited by sedge11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have experience with Kristoffer Ajer (Celtic)? He is also cheap solution and can play DC, DM even MC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, milan_manutd said:

Anyone have experience with Kristoffer Ajer (Celtic)? He is also cheap solution and can play DC, DM even MC.

He's been great for me, mainly as a DC but absolutely brilliant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BillyM19 said:

Any suggestions for a back up CB?

planning to keep Lindelof, Maguire and Tuanzebe only!

Ajer, can play 3 positions too so has the extra versatility edge 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to play 4-2-3-1 with United but in the past ive struggled with it also this year no matter what i do AI fullbacks just destory me any advice on these things before i start my United save would be awesome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now looking at improving the backroom, I'm not totally convinced by Phelan so want a top class asst man to replace him any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/12/2019 at 22:04, hbsssj said:

Who's the best for RW: Everton, Bailey or Chiesa?

I'll throw in Cengiz Under from Roma for anyone else looking in this area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Woolly said:

Now looking at improving the backroom, I'm not totally convinced by Phelan so want a top class asst man to replace him any suggestions?

I just got Denis Arnaud from Angers U19. Not sure if you can call him "top class" because his coaching atts aren't great, but his mentals and knowledge are fantastic and his preferences are to play 4-2-3-1 gegenpress if you like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2019 at 02:10, RazorsEdge said:

Not too far off the new season... Brought in some good signings but lost Pogba to PSG... £161M all up (£115M upfront I believe).

Transfers out:-
Phil Jones to Wolves for £15.5M
Paul Pogba to PSG for £161M
Juan Mata to Fiorentina for £15M
Alexis Sanchez to Fiorentina for £19.5M
Jesse Lingard to Tottenham for £20M
Marcos Rojo to Boca Juniors for £5.5M
Fred to Monaco for £21M
Chris Smalling loan @ Roma extended for extra season

I wanted to keep Phil Jones as he actually performed well in the latter half of the season but he wanted a new challenge so I had to let him go. Pogba wanted to leave when the bid from PSG came in. Mata I wanted to move on as he's getting older. Sanchez I managed to sign to a £200K p/w contract in the previous January window and then shipped him to Fiorentina but I'm paying some of his wages still. Lingard was really inconsistent so he went, too. Rojo was bad last season when he was on loan at Levante so made sense to cash in on him. Fred just didn't suit my play style at all. And Smalling I had no intention of playing and Roma were happy to extend his loan.

Transfers in:-

Vic Chambaere from KRC Genk for £2M - 17 year-old 'keeper prospect
John Bloor from Red Star Zurich for free - 16 year-old 'keeper newgen
Martin Bassett from Sesvete for free - 18 year-old striker newgen
Kai Haivertz from Bayer Leverkusen for £80M - replacement for Pogba
Angel Correa from Atletico Madrid for £40M - scouting for right wingers to give Daniel James some competition as he was inconsistent and it popped up that I could get Correa, who had a great season with Atletico as they won the La Liga, was available for relatively cheaply so I snapped him up.
Nathan de Schepper from Debrecen for £725K - central defender newgen
Dayot Upamecano from RB Leipzig for £86M - central defender to give us 3 world class defenders in him, Lindelof & Maguire
Konrad Laimer from RB Leipzig for £28.5M - good ball-winning midfielder that can play in a few other positions and suits my system better than Fred did
Benjamin Henrichs from AS Monaco for £7.5M - Diogo Dalot demanded to leave on loan for development so I had no backup RB after already loaning out Ethan Laird so Henrichs popped up in my scout reports as available for relatively cheap and I think he will be a solid player

Predicted lineup is:-

GK(DE) - David De Gea / Sergio Romero / Dean Henderson

RWB(AT) - Aaron Wan-Bissaka / Benjamin Henrichs
BPD(CO) - Victor Lindelof / Dayot Upamecano
BPD(DE) - Harry Maguire / Axel Tuanzebe
LWB(DE) - Alex Telles / Luke Shaw

BWM(DE) - Florentino Luis / Konrad Leimer / Scott McTominay
MEZ(AT) - Kai Havertz / Andreas Pereira

IW(AT) - Angel Correa / Daniel James / Tahith Chong
AP(SU) - Christian Eriksen / Andreas Pereira / Hannibal Mejbri
IW(AT) - Marcus Rashford / Anthony Martial / Tahith Chong

AF(AT) - Mason Greenwood / Anthony Martial

Also Timothy Fosu-Mensah floating around as an utility player. Think I might need another backup striker and central defender to really round out the squad.

So I ended up adding 2 more players in Becir Omeragic for £6.75M and David von Moos for £6.5M as backup DC & ST respectively. Had a great run and led the league going into January. Won the UEFA Super Cup to start the season. Only signing was Jude Bellingham for £16M in January. Let Sergio Romero go for free in January and recalled Joel Pereira with Dean Henderson as my cup 'keeper. Won the Carabao Cup 3-0 over West Ham. Won the Premier League only losing 1 game and ahead of Liverpool by 10 points. Won the FA Cup 4-2 against Chelsea. Won the Champions League 3-2 against Man City after extra time. What a season. Greenwood scored 49 goals in 56 appearances in total. He is an absolute beast.

Yet to start the new season but so far signed Carles Perez from Barca for free (just because it matches a signing philosophy and I can make money off of him, he's going to be loaned out immediately) and Ajax defender Edson Alvarez for £33M. Sold 3 average newgens with big parts of their next transfer coming to me. Sold Fosu-Mensah to PSV for £9.5M. Sold Lindelof to Barca for £52M. Sold Shaw to Chelsea for £40M. Shaw wasn't playing enough with Telles taking his spot and Williams might be ready to play as a backup.

GK(DE) - David De Gea /  Dean Henderson / Joel Pereira

RWB(AT) - Aaron Wan-Bissaka / Benjamin Henrichs
BPD(CO) - Dayot Upamecano / Edson Alvarez
BPD(DE) - Harry Maguire / Axel Tuanzebe / Becier Omeragic
LWB(DE) - Alex Telles / Brandon Williams

BWM(DE) - Florentino Luis / Konrad Leimer / Scott McTominay
MEZ(AT) - Kai Havertz / Andreas Pereira

IW(AT) - Angel Correa / Daniel James / Tahith Chong
AP(SU) - Christian Eriksen / Andreas Pereira / Hannibal Mejbri
IW(AT) - Marcus Rashford / Anthony Martial / Tahith Chong

AF(AT) - Mason Greenwood / Anthony Martial / David von Moos

Diogo Dalot is back from loan but no idea what to do with him so probably going to sell him/send him on loan again (Henrichs has become an awesome backup). No-one will buy Smalling so his loan to Roma has been extended again. I'm in a weird situation where I don't actually need Anthony Martial but I don't want to upset the squad by selling him. Konrad Leimer didn't play much last season but he's okay with that because he's only an emergency backup. Daniel James isn't playing that much with Correa and Martial being ahead of him. Have £301M transfer budget and £533K p/w to spend but no idea where to spend it. Might just go on a raid of wonderkids or something! By the time Eriksen starts to decline Mejbri will be ready to take his place and Pereira is an able backup to Havertz. My central defensive pairing is probably going to end up being Upamecano and Alvarez as Maguire is starting to decline a little bit, but he is my captain so I don't want to upset him either! Have an incredibly young team that shouldn't have won everything they did on paper... Decisions, decisions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've started a new save, I wanted to finish the previous games first season to get a little more experience (incl is it possible to keep Pogba with PSG sniffing - it is, with CL football and ~400k/wk offered straight away), but felt i'd gone too aggressive with my changes and i won all 4 trophies incl a 3-0 EL final against Madrid (won 1 CL group game in a very average group). So i'm starting fresh with a slightly larger db, and im following the recent trend of others and disabled the first transfer window too. Never done it before, so it feels a little odd.

What I want to do is try and be a bit more realistic:
- No wholesale clear outs and crazy spending sprees
- Aim for 2-in, 3-out each summer, and 1-in, 1-out if need during the winter.
- Target 1 big name signing, and 2 reasonably priced players with potential. Something similar to recent years.
- Bringing academy players through to the first team and given a chance.
- Sticking with players who simply arent good enough, because its cheaper than selling and replacing them with decent players. :seagull:

IMO FM hasnt dont a particularly good job of reflecting the stranglehold the Glazers have on the club, and you can easily live with them as owners and have success without being a decent player. So im going to try and impose some of those restrictions on myself. Besides, who really wants to play games and them be fun... right guys? :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, sean_oc16 said:

I just got Denis Arnaud from Angers U19. Not sure if you can call him "top class" because his coaching atts aren't great, but his mentals and knowledge are fantastic and his preferences are to play 4-2-3-1 gegenpress if you like that.

Must vary as on mine says control possession, 4-4-1-1 and standard passing. Coaching stats are **** but his mentals are okay at best for a United staff member atleast. I prefer Assistant Manager to have ability to take part in training so he wouldn't be mine unless on LLM 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a midfield 3 of Emre Can, Paul Pogba and Kai Havertz. Can is my DM(S). I'm alternating Havertz between AP(S) and DLP(S). Starting to think I should have opted for Neves instead. Anyway, anyone have any suggested roles to get Pogba into a goalscoring role in the team, using this formation? I tried MEZ(A), but then he just gets in the way of the IF(A), and as a B2B, he tends to have more bad games. Rather confused about what role is going to be suitable for the style I'm aiming to create. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...