[FM20] Manchester United: Falling Giant...

stevemc

2 hours ago, Zeonflux said:

Anyone else finding Liverpool an absolute arse to beat this year? On my current United save I’ve played them 4 times and lost all 4, no matter how I set up they always seem to absolutely dominate 

Yea I found that during the 1st 2 seasons, struggled to beat them, especially away. They went and won the league 1st 2 seasons with 98 and 95 points, and when I won the title in the 3rd season they still got 96 points.

But since the 3rd season I’ve been able to get results and beat them and now haven’t lost to them in last 6 games.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought i'd give a go at FM again, 1st game in and i've lost my sh*t, rage quit so hard. 

Had them on strings the whole game, 20 mins in lindelof and suso get nervous all be in at 7.1 rating. After half time dominating... until 2 set peices. made subs, game changer with like 12 highlights in 2 mins game time full attacking, we score offside, we score again. Dwight fking gayle peels off Shaw does 3 defenders and scores bottom right with DDG making the error to the goal by missing an easy save. 

This took me 5 minutes to write this with so much anger and fustration :seagull:

wfFc.PNG

10 hours ago, BigV said:

Thought i'd give a go at FM again, 1st game in and i've lost my sh*t, rage quit so hard. 

Had them on strings the whole game, 20 mins in lindelof and suso get nervous all be in at 7.1 rating. After half time dominating... until 2 set peices. made subs, game changer with like 12 highlights in 2 mins game time full attacking, we score offside, we score again. Dwight fking gayle peels off Shaw does 3 defenders and scores bottom right with DDG making the error to the goal by missing an easy save. 

This took me 5 minutes to write this with so much anger and fustration :seagull:

wfFc.PNG

To be fair, Pogba and Fred in this game aren't defensively solid enough for a long term central midfield - that is, simply, for a CM 2, you need about 28+ in positioning and marking for both of them. 

2 hours ago, DownTheFrank said:

To be fair, Pogba and Fred in this game aren't defensively solid enough for a long term central midfield - that is, simply, for a CM 2, you need about 28+ in positioning and marking for both of them. 

Pogba was subbed on and changed the game, long balls to rashford all over down the left when they both came on. Certainly not against a newcastle side either, as for the transfers I would've sold fred (find him useless and just keeps the ball ticking) had I not bought sancho too. Pogba is worldclass so he's not a problem. 

I just feel like the formation is just not working in FM at all, the 2 cm's dont do alot regardless of the role, BBM role to me seems off from what it should do too.

that team shouldn't have lost considering i've won every game and we dominated until those 2 set peices- maybe a 1 off but im sure i've felt it more times in my other save too which shouldn't happen that often. 

On 23/03/2020 at 06:34, Zeonflux said:

Anyone else finding Liverpool an absolute arse to beat this year? On my current United save I’ve played them 4 times and lost all 4, no matter how I set up they always seem to absolutely dominate 

At least it's realistic. 

2 hours ago, BigV said:

Pogba was subbed on and changed the game, long balls to rashford all over down the left when they both came on. Certainly not against a newcastle side either, as for the transfers I would've sold fred (find him useless and just keeps the ball ticking) had I not bought sancho too. Pogba is worldclass so he's not a problem. 

I just feel like the formation is just not working in FM at all, the 2 cm's dont do alot regardless of the role, BBM role to me seems off from what it should do too.

that team shouldn't have lost considering i've won every game and we dominated until those 2 set peices- maybe a 1 off but im sure i've felt it more times in my other save too which shouldn't happen that often. 

i do agree with you about the formation. I play 2 cms and a dm and have found a lot of success with that.  Pogba and Bruno Cm with Scott behind. 

28 minutes ago, DownTheFrank said:

i do agree with you about the formation. I play 2 cms and a dm and have found a lot of success with that.  Pogba and Bruno Cm with Scott behind. 

I might test it, guessing you go with one being a mez and other AP-S/A? 

My 1st formation is a 433 with 2 cms being AP and thats maddison and pogba, adding a BBM seems less effective going forward and as its a conservative/balanced formation its right (my logic) to have 2 attacking players that can press/have good tackling/stamina for closing down etc. 

5 minutes ago, BigV said:

I might test it, guessing you go with one being a mez and other AP-S/A? 

My 1st formation is a 433 with 2 cms being AP and thats maddison and pogba, adding a BBM seems less effective going forward and as its a conservative/balanced formation its right (my logic) to have 2 attacking players that can press/have good tackling/stamina for closing down etc. 

I do double Mezzallas actually. works a treat. Lots of goals and assists from both guys. Being a deep formation you need to play on positive or attacking to really see attacking results. 

I see the mezalla to be slightly more aggressive Aps, who move forward, and hold on to the ball less. 

3 minutes ago, DownTheFrank said:

I do double Mezzallas actually. works a treat. Lots of goals and assists from both guys. Being a deep formation you need to play on positive or attacking to really see attacking results. 

I see the mezalla to be slightly more aggressive Aps, who move forward, and hold on to the ball less. 

I'll give it a try, and agreed, find that positive doesn't work well with 4231, when i looked at it for 10 games, it was almost like seeing them conservative but not as much as cautious, more or less trying to keep the ball (makes me question if the old mentality system is still much more useful in todays game). 

Only downside would be CM position would need cover, I'll try one and then with them both, see what happens. Never tried the mezz role really, doesn't appeal to me all be it seeing it in real life with pogba and other mezzala's. 

On 12/01/2020 at 21:51, Footygamer89YT said:

Looking to get Bruno Fernandes in my first season looking to have him and Pogba in the same team any ideas for the best formation and roles guys ?

Scott as DM, Bruno and Pogba as dual Mezallas in front of him. Doing quite well for me. 

48 minutes ago, DownTheFrank said:

Scott as DM, Bruno and Pogba as dual Mezallas in front of him. Doing quite well for me. 

Tried this for 7 games, I was getting nothing, maybe cause maddison isn't bruno aha, given up on 20, gonna go back to 17 

41 minutes ago, DownTheFrank said:

Quick question - is anyone having great success with a striker for Manchester United, and if so , who and how are you playing them ? 

Could be any of the ones already at the club or a new signing. 

I'm using Mason Greenwood as an advanced forward, and in all competitions, he netted me 29 (1st season, lots of Europa League) / 19 (2nd season playing second fiddle to Latuaro Martinez) / 25 (so far in January 3rd season, main striker)

18 hours ago, BigV said:

Tried this for 7 games, I was getting nothing, maybe cause maddison isn't bruno aha, given up on 20, gonna go back to 17 

If you don't want the 20 anymore can i have it then ?LOL 

I'm playing on the 2 week free Covid19 promo and i think it might be hard for me to go back to 19 :lol:

55 minutes ago, DownTheFrank said:

If you don't want the 20 anymore can i have it then ?LOL 

I'm playing on the 2 week free Covid19 promo and i think it might be hard for me to go back to 19 :lol:

I was playing the demo :lol: i set it u ages ago and decided with the 2 weeks free might aswell get into it lool.

Also I have martial as a striker 9 games and 10 goals, low crossing and working the ball in works a beauty for him as AF but at times he's useless. Lone strikers is hard in top leagues unless they're all around good enough. Read a few tactic things and they said they use a poacher or DLF-A, no idea their reasoning for a poacher but DLF acts like rooney in some capacity- hold up play, one touch and run, almost like they drop deep slightly and push up when they have a chance, how we use martial basically irl

Anyone else using many of the United youth players?

I only ask as I’ve just started my second season and I’ve got James Garner as my 2nd DLP begins Pogba and I’ve just noticed that he’s now classed as a wonder kid along with Williams and Greenwood.

i was just wondering if this is a regular thing with him or if he has a random PA

5 minutes ago, Zeonflux said:

I only ask as I’ve just started my second season and I’ve got James Garner as my 2nd DLP begins Pogba and I’ve just noticed that he’s now classed as a wonder kid along with Williams and Greenwood.

i was just wondering if this is a regular thing with him or if he has a random PA

Sent Chong out on loan and he progressed well. Same with Garner. Play Williams regularly. (he got twice as many games as Shaw ) Mejbri and Gomes have about 10 appearances between them and are progressing well. 

4 minutes ago, DownTheFrank said:

Sent Chong out on loan and he progressed well. Same with Garner. Play Williams regularly. (he got twice as many games as Shaw ) Mejbri and Gomes have about 10 appearances between them and are progressing well. 

I didn’t use Chong except for a few games towards the end of the first season then sold him, I’ve got Rashford and Martial for the AML spot, brought in Chiesa and Sancho for the AMR spot and I’m using Fernandes, Gomes and Hejbri for the AMC spot.

I’ve also got Garner and Bellingham as my rotation LMC and then McToninay and Florentino Luis share the RMC spot.

Williams has bossed the LB position and since I want him to be my starter for the foreseeable future I don’t intend to sell Or replace Shaw.

The only position I could possibly buy for now would be Up top as I tend to have Martial or Rashford there and then the other on the left with Greenwood as the backup Striker, although I can’t imagine it’ll be long before that’s his spot and the other 2 are battling for the AML spot

Chong was rubbish, barely developed for me, sold him. Gomes, used him for two years as a Winger on the left, sold him for 105 Mn $ to Tottenham, he was probably worth half that, so good business. Got rid of Williams (never played him in the beginning, and he didn't develop on loan), Laird and Garner after 3 years. Mind you, this is the initial database.

Greenwood becomes a beast, as does Mejbri. Greenwood is Mbappe level attributes now, he's had a very good growth. Same with Mejbri, blossomed while out on loan. and now he gets occasional first team games - soon he will replace Tonali, who will replace Pogba in the team.

Season 2020/21: July-Oct

News:

We'll start off with the transfer window, busy window all-around. 

Here are my final deals:

xMnVPY7.jpg

Leaves us with £46m net spend which I think is pretty good:

qi1MzzF.jpg

Here are the transfers from around the world, Chelsea were major window heavyweights:

ntm8qGR.jpg

9NegT0Q.jpg

Youth Intake:

Best player to come from the youth intake was Charlie Burton:

Z3PmTLp.jpg

Community Shield:

Simple, comprehensive win against FA Cup winners, Brentford:

xf6R320.jpg

Premier League:

Three point cushion as the top, from Ernesto Valverde's Spurs team who have Harry Kane on fire. We slipped up away at Watford (although I did rest a few players, due to the cup game 3 days later), I've made a few tweaks to my tactic which are not fully settled in yet, plus there is some patchy form Greenwood, Rashford, Martial and Sancho - Sancho appears to have a worldly game, followed by a stinker - no middle ground with him.

NIak6pd.jpg

Current form:

IYK4O4G.jpg

Champions League:

Sitting pretty at the top, despite Rashford getting sent off after 7 minutes at home FC Schalke. 

sS9ygUP.png

EFL Cup:

Knocked out Tottenham away 0-1 in the 3rd round, followed by a 0-4 away win at in-form Sheffield United leaves us will a home tie against League One Ipswich Town.

On 23/03/2020 at 14:34, Zeonflux said:

Nope, played them about 6 times, only a draw in one stopped me winning them all fairly easily

On 26/03/2020 at 17:03, DownTheFrank said:

Quick question - is anyone having great success with a striker for Manchester United, and if so , who and how are you playing them ? 

Yeah, Martial, Greenwood and Haaland have scored plenty up top alone in a 4231 playing as an AF

On 27/03/2020 at 00:32, Zeonflux said:

In my first team squad I have Williams, Greendwood, Garner, Tuanzebe, Mengi, Laird, Mejbri(beast straight away, scored on his debut, 8 goals in total first season ), Gomes and Chong.... All have done really well

@Powello don’t suppose you could post a SS of your tactic?

also whilst I’m doing a youth save with my team I’ve had to crack and brought in Haaland. Well I say I have, I saw that Liverpool offered for him (they’re currently top with a record of 20-1-0) and I just couldn’t let them have him, I didn’t have enough in the transfer kitty to get him so I asked the board and miraculously they said yes!

also I had a news item ‘rubbishing’ talk of the club being sold so that could happen before long as well

Noticing some great young players that I'd like to buy, but they'll fail a Work Permit - are you guys still signing these types of players, and if so, what are you doing with them?

I seem to remember there used to be an option to ask your board for an affiliate club in order to send players out on loan to secure work permits - is that option not available anymore?

25 minutes ago, stevemc said:

Noticing some great young players that I'd like to buy, but they'll fail a Work Permit - are you guys still signing these types of players, and if so, what are you doing with them?

I seem to remember there used to be an option to ask your board for an affiliate club in order to send players out on loan to secure work permits - is that option not available anymore?

Not sure fella, I know what your on about but I’ve not seen it.

I have seen a cracking 17 year old in Argentina that I’m struggling to get a permit for but I’ve got enough cover that it’s not a huge loss if I can’t get him

1 hour ago, stevemc said:

Only part of my tactic I'm struggling with, is from corners, I'm defo not maximising them -  anyone having any luck or got a decent set up to try?

corners is easy. Put two tallest players at near and far post. that's it. 

Maguire, Tuanzebe, Smalling, Mctominay. lots of options. 

Tuanzebe and LIndelof have had hattricks in a match just from set pieces. 

February 2024

utd24febschedule.thumb.PNG.4978ef44503cbf8a5ed339055858320c.PNG

Pretty nice set of results in January. After praising how well he had been playing in my last post, Rashford hasn't got above a 7.0 rating since but Kane has scored or assisted in every match. We'll see who he passes the baton to next :D

Was all set to have no senior transfers during the window, but then came Ricardo Baldé from Benfica late in the window. He had a £64m release cause and other clubs were bidding so I couldn't arrange it for the summer.

utd24febbalde.thumb.PNG.58c439b868bc6c12a86a6b6026387050.PNG

Coming up soon we have Dortmund in CL, Palace in fa cup and Liverpool in league cup final.

On 26/03/2020 at 16:32, Zeonflux said:

In 2024 I still have Laird, Wiliams, Tuanzebe, Mejbri, Rashford and Greenwood in my squad. Others got some play previously before leaving the club.

13 hours ago, DownTheFrank said:

corners is easy. Put two tallest players at near and far post. that's it. 

Maguire, Tuanzebe, Smalling, Mctominay. lots of options. 

Tuanzebe and LIndelof have had hattricks in a match just from set pieces. 

Don't you feel like you are exploiting the ME by doing that? I wouldn't want my CB scoring a hattrick in a game from set pieces. 

14 hours ago, pele10 said:

You bought the game yet? @BigV

Nope, decided not to, however i'm persuing those free codes they're giving out for phones :D. Sticking with 17 until the ME is fixed/closely balanced. 

21 hours ago, Zeonflux said:

@Powello don’t suppose you could post a SS of your tactic?

also whilst I’m doing a youth save with my team I’ve had to crack and brought in Haaland. Well I say I have, I saw that Liverpool offered for him (they’re currently top with a record of 20-1-0) and I just couldn’t let them have him, I didn’t have enough in the transfer kitty to get him so I asked the board and miraculously they said yes!

also I had a news item ‘rubbishing’ talk of the club being sold so that could happen before long as well

Just a standard 4231 but the instructions change a lot depending on who we are playing, sometimes change a lot in game as well.

Halland for me has done alright but if its a pick between him and Greenwood, then Mason wins. I have a few tactical tweaks I am testing hoping to get the strikers more goals. Bruno is pushing Greenwood for top scorer this season, scoring one more(I think) than Haaland, Mason a further 2 ahead.

I am coming to the end of my second season and had the takeover talks have been going on since about 1 month from the start of the save, don't think it will ever happen

17 hours ago, stevemc said:

Only part of my tactic I'm struggling with, is from corners, I'm defo not maximising them -  anyone having any luck or got a decent set up to try?

Yeah I don't score many from them but then I only use the standard settings, not changed anything yet. Still have some improvements on my tactic to iron out, want to make that a 1 tactic force before I work on set pieces..

On 23/03/2020 at 06:34, Zeonflux said:

Absolutely, I've beat them twice in the six times we've played - they've won the others including the Charity Shield and Super Cup. Only now am I getting to a point where I can compete player for player. 

On 26/03/2020 at 09:03, DownTheFrank said:

I've had the most success with Greenwood and Rashford as a DLF(A) in my 4-3-3. 

17 hours ago, stevemc said:

I pretty much just aim it at Maguire attacking the near post. Nothing flash but get a fair amount of goals from it.

20 minutes ago, Powello said:

I am coming to the end of my second season and had the takeover talks have been going on since about 1 month from the start of the save, don't think it will ever happen

22 hours ago, Zeonflux said:

I’m in the 5th season, and the club got taken over by a Spanish consortium, they went and brought Saul Niguez and Sule in.

Initially didn’t really want them but you can cancel the transfers as it’s one they promised but both have been pretty good especially Saul Niguez.

2 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

I’m in the 5th season, and the club got taken over by a Spanish consortium, they went and brought Saul Niguez and Sule in.

Initially didn’t really want them but you can cancel the transfers as it’s one they promised but both have been pretty good especially Saul Niguez.

AH Fair enough, did they give you a load of money to spend?

At least you didn'tlose your jobOn previous versions, every time a club I managed got taken over the new owners wanted a new manager even though I won everything all the time

2 minutes ago, pele10 said:

Trying A 4-1-3-2  as I couldn't get IF or IW to work

In my 4231 I have the two wide men as wingers support, they do quite well, but not amazing, I am working on improving them

Just now, Powello said:

In my 4231 I have the two wide men as wingers support, they do quite well, but not amazing, I am working on improving them

Yeah I was playing with a 4-1-2-3 everything was great apart from the wide players 

1 minute ago, pele10 said:

Yeah I was playing with a 4-1-2-3 everything was great apart from the wide players 

What annoys me from them no matter what role I give them, they try and shoot too often and do everything on their own, the strikers would have way more goals if the wide men would pass to them more. I have to get them working as I have many wide men. Can't go to a more central formation now or risk annoying a lot of players

19 minutes ago, Powello said:

AH Fair enough, did they give you a load of money to spend?

At least you didn'tlose your jobOn previous versions, every time a club I managed got taken over the new owners wanted a new manager even though I won everything all the time

The club finances were already around 800mil with a massive transfer budget so they didn’t really change anything.

They spent £130mil on Saul and Sule though, but that didn’t come out of my budget or the finances.

1 minute ago, sedge11 said:

The club finances were already around 800mil with a massive transfer budget so they didn’t really change anything.

They spent £130mil on Saul and Sule though, but that didn’t come out of my budget or the finances.

not bad then

1 hour ago, pele10 said:

You think they'll release another patch?

not a chance. 3 times per season subject to possible change however it never has so doubt it. ME has been worse for 2 years now arguably 3 so doubt it. 

Season 2020/21: Nov-Jan

News:

Brexit has finally happened, and I no longer have the issues of not being able to sign non-EU youngsters as the new rules set allow a 17 foreigner limit (for the first team), work permits are no longer needed :) Because of that, I've spend January signing a whole host of talented young players to stock up my youth teams.

I've struggled with Anthony Martial, he's been in poor form so I dropped him, he complained so I played him, but he's been sketchy. In terms of form, Sancho has been patchy (but I don't think he 100% suits my tactics so I need to work on that), David Alaba has been underwhelming too. Ethan Laird is proving himself a very handy understudy to Wan-Bissaka. I've also realised I need an inside-forward right back up or contender for Greenwood, someone left footed who can cut inside. I can see Axel Tuanzebe leaving in the summer, as much as I'd like to keep him he wants a £100Kp/w+ new contract which I'm not willing to give a 4th choice centre-back.

In January, I picked up Jude Bellingham for £14.75m - couldn't resist a hame grown Model Citizen :) Also signed a pre-contract agreement with Gianluigi Donnarumma, which will leave me with an interesting decision come the summer...

NsIJVCX.jpg

The worst news was Mason Greenwood breaking his leg, he'll now be out until the start of next season.

On the positive, Lautaro Martínez and Jadon Sancho picked up some personal awards:

2dXjqVJ.jpg

jtLk0pL.png

Premier League:

Running away with the league, 12 points clear of second place, largely thanks to Lautaro Martínez banging in 22 goals so far:

apcypiH.jpg

EFL Cup:

Saw off Tottenham (A) ,Sheffield United (A), Ipswich Town (H) following by a 5-4 aggregate win over Wolves in the semi-final, despite being 4-2 down the first leg:

aEe5MSz.jpg

Arsenal await us in the final as we hope to win our first cup competition under me and banish memories of our final defeat on penalties last season.

FA Cup:

So far, knocked out Liverpool (H), Ipswich Town (A) and now face Premier League Swansea City (H) in the fifth round.

Champions League:

Comfortably topped our group in our first season back amongst football's elite:

89pjP1x.png

First round knockout out tie faces us against Benfica on the 24th February.