[FM20] Manchester United: Falling Giant...

stevemc

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Season 23/23 1st Transfer Window

So the summer transfer window has just closed and as I said before we started off the season beating Spurs in the Community Shield.

In the league theres been no surprises as we carry on from the last 2 seasons form winning all 4 games

kFdRg8b.jpg

As I said in a previous post we won the Super Cup against Sevilla adding yet more trophies to our cabinet

We awaited the Champions League group draw, hoping to get a nice easy group to set us off on our quest for our 5th in a row and the draw was pretty much very kind to us, will be an easy progress to the knockouts

JOli4Iw.jpg

Transfer wise, my love of cms continued as I brought in another 3, with Messi being an AMC, plus 2 young wingers for the future. We broke our sale record after a lot of negotiating with Madrid to get rid of Arthur, one of the cms who wanted regular football, We also got rid of Dembele for a nice fee to PSG, glad to get him off the books and hopefully the board don't make any more stupid signings like him.

TiFLAWa.jpg

I haven't used the heavy cm'd tactic yet this season apart from a few friendlies, it will come when the new players have bedded in, plus I am enjoying the 4231 too much and trying to improve it

11 minutes ago, MatthewS17 said:

Has anyone had a lone Striker playing successfully that is NOT in an AF role? 

Just curious. 

Yeah I've had good success with CF, DLF, P and PF

3 minutes ago, Powello said:

Yeah I've had good success with CF, DLF, P and PF

I had massive success with the CF role before the last ME update. Think Martial had 41 goals in total that season. 

This time round, he seems to churn out 6.5s and below if I place him in anything other than AF. 

18 minutes ago, MatthewS17 said:

Has anyone had a lone Striker playing successfully that is NOT in an AF role? 

Just curious. 

Been running a DLF(A) for most of my save. Since signing Kane though, I've had to change my wide players to IW from IF so they'd actually cross to him...

Warned all the front four that they have not been scoring enough recently and I will drop them if it continues... Won the next game 3-0 (two goals from set peices) and only Martinez (forward) scored (despite it being a tap in from a corner). Told Rashford / Stengs that they are having two weeks off.

1 minute ago, Tummyowl said:

Warned all the front four that they have not been scoring enough recently and I will drop them if it continues... Won the next game 3-0 (two goals from set peices) and only Martinez (forward) scored (despite it being a tap in from a corner). Told Rashford / Stengs that they are having two weeks off.

How did they take that?

Rashford was fine, said he was not at his best and said he would come back better. Similar to Stengs, but he had picked up a niggle so I assume thinks I'm giving him time off to not rush him back. Time for Lingard and James/Martial to shine.

I would be fine with the lack of goals and trying to play themselves back in to form, but Liverpool are six points behind with a handful of games left... and Liverpool are destroying teams.

5 minutes ago, Tummyowl said:

Rashford was fine, said he was not at his best and said he would come back better. Similar to Stengs, but he had picked up a niggle so I assume thinks I'm giving him time off to not rush him back. Time for Lingard and James/Martial to shine.

I would be fine with the lack of goals and trying to play themselves back in to form, but Liverpool are six points behind with a handful of games left... and Liverpool are destroying teams.

How do you play Rashford?

2 minutes ago, Tummyowl said:

AML - Inside forward - attack.

Top goalscorer with 18 goals.

League stats so far this season are; 31 apps, 18 goals, 7 assists.

He's doing pretty good then

Indeed, which makes his total drop off in form confusing and frustrating.

It happens, can't be amazing every game. Greenwood has spells every season for me but is still always top scorer

Oh I know, it's just frustrating at this point in the season. If you couple it with Martinez and Stengs all having drops in form it has become a real problem.

Martinez has started picking up goals again in the last couple of matches.

2 minutes ago, stevemc said:

I've kept my original formation, but tinkering with a 4-3-3 through pre-season, mainly due to the amount of strikers I have in my squad - think I might be onto something...

WdwsGCU.jpg

Ha not bad :)

Season 2022/23: Start of Season

News:

Pep Guardiola is back in the Premier League, leaving Atletico Madrid for Tottenham, Ole Gunnar Solskjær came in at Wolves and Neil Lennon made a return to Leicester City. Transfer wise, it was a busy window, Ousmane Dembélé joined Chelsea for £97m, Declan Rice moved to Manchester City for £75m, Liverpool moved for Franck Kessié (£59m) and Leroy Sané (£44m) - Manchester City ended up having a clear out due to their failure to qualify for the Champions League.

XjylFSY.jpg

This is the year of Qatar 2022 World Cup, so the domestic schedule is all over the place, a small pre-season with the matches starting earlier so there is a break in Nov/Dec for the World Cup.

My Transfer Window:

Desperately wanted Kylian Mbappé this Summer, but due to a pretty poor season financially, and the stadium being at a lower capacity whilst being expanded, the board only gave me £73m transfer budget and just 65% in players sales, which wasn't enough for me to fund it. After Sanchez retired, freeing up £400Kp/w and selling Harry Maguire I brought in transfer-listed Kai Havertz for £73m, then went in for Eduardo Camavinga after Tottenham started a bidding war for him (I wanted to wait another season before signing him). The rest of the signings are young talent for my youth teams:

SePg3oh.jpg

My policy of developing young players is starting to work through after Norwich bought Nicolò Armini from me for £40m, who was originally a £750,000 purchase 3-years-ago.

I do a lot of developing and loans too, he's my current group:

x9krq3p.jpg

Community Shield:thup:

ZraAqGH.jpg

Premier League:

Good start, top...

HTrE0OA.jpg

Champions League:

Made up that Juventus have been drawn in our group, love playing against the best teams:

S0ADcd8.png

My Squad:

GK: Gianluigi Donnarumma, Dean Henderson, Yannick Becic*, Señén Martín Domínguez*

RB: Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Ethan Laird, Scott McTominay

LB: Cizão*, Brandon Williams

CB: Matthijs de Ligt, Léo Guerreiro*, Rúben Dias, Axel Tuanzebe,

DM: Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, Rúben Neves, Florentino Luís, Eduardo Camavinga, James Garner

CM/AM: Paul Pogba, Bruno Fernandes, Kai Havertz, Hannibal Mejbri, Jude Bellingham

FORWARDS: Lautaro Martínez, Erling Haaland, Jadon Sancho, Marcus Rashford, Mason Greenwood, João Félix

*regen/newgen

Edited by stevemc

1 hour ago, stevemc said:

I've kept my original formation, but tinkering with a 4-3-3 through pre-season, mainly due to the amount of strikers I have in my squad - think I might be onto something...

WdwsGCU.jpg

I'm guessing that's a 433 with 3 strikers? 

So I haven't played a season of FM since FM13, what do you guys do regarding training? This part specifically seems overwhelming for me and completely different from the old training. Do you all micromanage or do you hire a capable assistant to take care of it whilst managing individual training? This seems the best way for what is practically a beginner in me.

25 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

So I haven't played a season of FM since FM13, what do you guys do regarding training? This part specifically seems overwhelming for me and completely different from the old training. Do you all micromanage or do you hire a capable assistant to take care of it whilst managing individual training? This seems the best way for what is practically a beginner in me.

Typically let assistant sort sessions, though I manage the individual training.

I have decided I am bored of my current save, I need a break as it's too easy. It's fun but winning every game does get boring when you;re at the point where you don't have to work much for it. So next up is a different challenge. 

Youth Development Challenge

I have made some database changes and I have rules

Changes made:-

- I have removed quite a few first team players - squad will be shown soon so you can see who has gone
- I have added the Nevilles, Scholes and Keane into the first team coaching staff,
-  Nicky Butt has been changed from a technical director to a normal 1st team coach
- Added NO signings over 23 and I think English signings to the clubs vision

Rules:-

- No Signings over 23 - Also put that as the clubs vision
- Max 2 1st Team Signings per season and must be English, that includes loans and free transfers
- De Gea must be sold by the start of the 2nd season to allow Henderson and the other keepers a chance
- Ass man/DoF/HOYD can sign players for the youth sides

Starting Squad

yvRGZ4j.jpg
BCme5DE.jpg
Jou7g7v.jpg

If any one is interested in having a go at this I can share the database

Hopefulyl this will ease my boredom

Edited by Powello

For my life, I can not beat Liverpool for the title. I'm in summer 2024 and have finished runner up to them every year, while making it to three straight CL finals, including wins the past two years. I can beat Liverpool, I beat them in the knockouts of the CL this year, but I just can't beat them to the league. Frustrating, but I'm liking the challenge since United has been pretty easy to rehab in previous years. (Maybe I'm just terrible, I don't know). Real just came in with an offer for Rashford, which I countered for 100mil after clauses and they accepted. Now I've got a real thinker on my hands.

Edited by Juls317

3 hours ago, Powello said:

I have decided I am bored of my current save, I need a break as it's too easy. It's fun but winning every game does get boring when you;re at the point where you don't have to work much for it. So next up is a different challenge. 

Youth Development Challenge

I have made some database changes and I have rules

Changes made:-

- I have removed quite a few first team players - squad will be shown soon so you can see who has gone
- I have added the Nevilles, Scholes and Keane into the first team coaching staff,
-  Nicky Butt has been changed from a technical director to a normal 1st team coach
- Added NO signings over 23 and I think English signings to the clubs vision

Rules:-

- No Signings over 23 - Also put that as the clubs vision
- Max 2 1st Team Signings per season and must be English, that includes loans and free transfers
- De Gea must be sold by the start of the 2nd season to allow Henderson and the other keepers a chance
- Ass man/DoF/HOYD can sign players for the youth sides

Starting Squad

yvRGZ4j.jpg
BCme5DE.jpg
Jou7g7v.jpg

If any one is interested in having a go at this I can share the database

Hopefulyl this will ease my boredom

Well I know that your starting lineup should be if your still using your current set up.

DDG (until Dean returns)

AWB, Axel, Tengi, Williams

Garner, McTominay

Greenwood, Bruno (Hannibal), Chong

Rashford

overall I’d say that Tengi is possibly the weakest link in that team but using that squad does give you some interesting options, for example you could use Laird as your 2nd choice RB and train Dalot as a RW. I’ve also noticed that my U23 manager has been playing Garner as a centre back and he does have pretty decent stats for the position

11 minutes ago, Zeonflux said:

Well I know that your starting lineup should be if your still using your current set up.

DDG (until Dean returns)

AWB, Axel, Tengi, Williams

Garner, McTominay

Greenwood, Bruno (Hannibal), Chong

Rashford

overall I’d say that Tengi is possibly the weakest link in that team but using that squad does give you some interesting options, for example you could use Laird as your 2nd choice RB and train Dalot as a RW. I’ve also noticed that my U23 manager has been playing Garner as a centre back and he does have pretty decent stats for the position

Close sir

du3becI.jpg

I agree, Mengi is the weak link but it's just about holding his own. Garner has been playing at CB a couple of times in his place as well. I am regretting removing Maguire as the CBs throughout the club are pretty **** lol

Edited by Powello

Youth development saves are always interesting, I ran one on FM19 and had a blast. Seems a lot harder to poach young players from other teams in FM20 though. 

Personally wouldn't have moved Maguire, he's been class for me and I've heard his personality's been changed to perfectionist in the new patch? Ideal tutor. 

Be interested to see what you get out of Mengi, he's been playing well on loan at Coventry the last two years for me, but his technicals still don't look all that great.

Recommend going for Bellingham if he still goes for compensation on the new patch.

2 minutes ago, Spiegel said:

Youth development saves are always interesting, I ran one on FM19 and had a blast. Seems a lot harder to poach young players from other teams in FM20 though. 

Personally wouldn't have moved Maguire, he's been class for me and I've heard his personality's been changed to perfectionist in the new patch? Ideal tutor. 

Be interested to see what you get out of Mengi, he's been playing well on loan at Coventry the last two years for me, but his technicals still don't look all that great.

Recommend going for Bellingham if he still goes for compensation on the new patch.

Yeah I realised about 4 games in that Maguire would have been handy to still have lol.

It took me 5 years to get Mengi anywhere near good enough for the 1st team on th elast save, but then i wasn't really focused on development then and this time round hes playing a lot.

Bellingham is always my first buy, it was no different on this one as he fits exactly everything I am going for this save apart from coming through the youth system.

@Powello yeah Garner makes a good backup CB and could be trained to be a good BPCB but would be a waste in my opinion.

CM wise the youth is quite stacked, on my save I believe the coaches said that Puigal could be as good as Pogba plus you’ve got Garner, McTominay, Gomes, Hannibal and now Bellingham so there’s defence is the problem as you stated

Henderson is not a good enough replacement for De Gea :idiot:

There are far superiour young keepers out there, just not English. Henderson is ultimately not good enough.

I dunno stat wise he’s not the best but for me his been solid and I certainly wouldn’t be selling him unless I had a great backup or a wonder kid that was ready to replace both him and DDG

Garner can become an excellent holding / defensive minded central midfielder. Puigal probably will not be Pogba level, but will be a good solid squad player. I sold McTominay, he's just not quite good enough for anything more than a squad player (and with Bellingham and Hannibal having huge potential I would rather them develop and have game time).

I do try and buy and develop home grown talent, but there is a massive difference between being smart doing it and doing it at all costs even though it weakens the squad, and club. You want a young goalkeeper? Gasparini has bags of potential and can be picked up ~10,000,000~... that's a keeper that can be a long term replacement for De Gea and stay at the club ~20~ seasons. De Gea has had a wobble a couple of times this season, first time ever for me, (he has been my league keeper, Romero playing everything else), and I have considered looking to off load him and use Romero until Gasparini is ready, or look at bringing in Donnarumma.

Rice is English, and in my humble opinions, one of the best early buys in the game at the top level. He develops well, can play in three positions (Ball playing defender, deep lying playmaker in defensive midfield or midfield central). Sancho is another young English player who could be a big priority but his lack of determination annoys me. I want a hungry squad.

11 minutes ago, Zeonflux said:

@Powello yeah Garner makes a good backup CB and could be trained to be a good BPCB but would be a waste in my opinion.

CM wise the youth is quite stacked, on my save I believe the coaches said that Puigal could be as good as Pogba plus you’ve got Garner, McTominay, Gomes, Hannibal and now Bellingham so there’s defence is the problem as you stated

I am thinking about training Galbraith to be a back up CB instead, also Laird. When TFM is back from injury he will be another ni there as well, so I think I'll be ok

13 minutes ago, Tummyowl said:

Henderson is not a good enough replacement for De Gea :idiot:

There are far superiour young keepers out there, just not English. Henderson is ultimately not good enough.

9 minutes ago, Zeonflux said:

I dunno stat wise he’s not the best but for me his been solid and I certainly wouldn’t be selling him unless I had a great backup or a wonder kid that was ready to replace both him and DDG

Henderson for me on my old save was terrible every time I played him, but I reckon I can get more out of him this time

Garner can become an excellent holding / defensive minded central midfielder. Puigal probably will not be Pogba level, but will be a good solid squad player. I sold McTominay, he's just not quite good enough for anything more than a squad player (and with Bellingham and Hannibal having huge potential I would rather them develop and have game time).

I do try and buy and develop home grown talent, but there is a massive difference between being smart doing it and doing it at all costs even though it weakens the squad, and club. You want a young goalkeeper? Gasparini has bags of potential and can be picked up ~10,000,000~... that's a keeper that can be a long term replacement for De Gea and stay at the club ~20~ seasons. De Gea has had a wobble a couple of times this season, first time ever for me, (he has been my league keeper, Romero playing everything else), and I have considered looking to off load him and use Romero until Gasparini is ready, or look at bringing in Donnarumma.

Rice is English, and in my humble opinions, one of the best early buys in the game at the top level. He develops well, can play in three positions (Ball playing defender, deep lying playmaker in defensive midfield or midfield central). Sancho is another young English player who could be a big priority but his lack of determination annoys me. I want a hungry squad.

Rice might be a purchase down th eline but I don't have any money now and can only buy 2 players a season, Sancho is my main target for my final signing this season if the board give me the funds. I asked them to buy sancho for me and they said yes but nothing happened so dunno whats going on there, will try again in January. Trust me from experience, Sancho is a beast and always plays well.

Sancho might be a beast, I have managed him previously, but his low determination frustrates me.

Henderson will never be good enough to be first choice keeper at an elite football club.

Sancho might be a beast, I have managed him previously, but his low determination frustrates me.

Henderson will never be good enough to be first choice keeper at an elite football club.

Why does his low determinetion frustrate you when it doesn't effect his game at all?

I'll make Henderson one of the best in the world

58 minutes ago, Tummyowl said:

Unfortunately Henderson has a fixed PA, and it is not great, so he will not be one of the best in the world ;).

Determination is important to me.

Henderson has been my no1 for 2 and half seasons and does excellent, even won world goalkeeper of the year in season 5.

6 hours ago, Powello said:

I have removed quite a few first team players - squad will be shown soon so you can see who has gone

Where have the players you removed ended up?

1 minute ago, sedge11 said:

Henderson has been my no1 for 2 and half seasons and does excellent, even won world goalkeeper of the year in season 5.

Where have the players you removed ended up?

only ones I've noticed so far are Sanchez back at Arsenal, Maguire at City and Lingard at Everton(and scored twice against me, the **** lol)

2 hours ago, Powello said:

Yeah I realised about 4 games in that Maguire would have been handy to still have lol.

It took me 5 years to get Mengi anywhere near good enough for the 1st team on th elast save, but then i wasn't really focused on development then and this time round hes playing a lot.

Bellingham is always my first buy, it was no different on this one as he fits exactly everything I am going for this save apart from coming through the youth system.

1 hour ago, Powello said:

Rice might be a purchase down th eline but I don't have any money now and can only buy 2 players a season, Sancho is my main target for my final signing this season if the board give me the funds. I asked them to buy sancho for me and they said yes but nothing happened so dunno whats going on there, will try again in January. Trust me from experience, Sancho is a beast and always plays well.

Honestly with the amount of attacking talent you start with and the addition of Bellingham, defence would definitely be my priority. Already a weakness when you start normally but without the likes of Maguire, Jones, Smalling, Rojo it looks lacking in both quality and depth.

2 minutes ago, sean_oc16 said:

Honestly with the amount of attacking talent you start with and the addition of Bellingham, defence would definitely be my priority. Already a weakness when you start normally but without the likes of Maguire, Jones, Smalling, Rojo it looks lacking in both quality and depth.

Severeky lacking haha, but meh I want to develop some of the defence. AT the moment we are unbeaten somehow, defence hasn't been an issue yet apart from the first few games whilst they were getting used to the tactic, now the familiarity is almost max they are defending pretty well.

I have my eye on a couple of players I like, Sancho is only depending on how a couple of players develop over the next few months

5 minutes ago, Zeonflux said:

@Powello he’s not English but he is a youth player, take a look at Dario Sarmiento quality looking player, I’ve brought him and now I’m looking at selling Martial because I wanna develop him

Hes not on my game

1 minute ago, Zeonflux said:

Ah bugger he’s an Argentinian player so you probably need South American players added to find him

Probably, but he goes against what I am trying to do anyway. Only foreign players coming in are through the youth intake or if one of the staff signs a youngster for the youth team