Sports Interactive Community
eencae

Mentoring - passing on traits

I know that by creating mentoring groups you can pass on player traits and have seen this quite a lot already on FM Touch 2020 beta.

I've had to be careful as I made a mentoring group for centre midfielders, but then saw 'unwanted' traits being learned e.g. Mezzala's picking up 'Comes Deep to Get Ball' from deep-lying playmakers in the group which I don't want as it then conflicts with 'Get Further Forward'. So I separated them into smaller mentoring groups for different roles. Fine.

However, for full-backs, I don't tend to have 3 players in each full-back position so I can't make a 'right-back mentoring group' etc.

If I make a generic full-back group, does anyone have any idea if left-backs will pick up 'run with ball down the right' for example?

I’ve never seen a RB pick up a LB specific trait no.  

I tend to go for the below

• GK
  • CBs 
  • FBs and DMs in same group as I play with IWBs
  • CMs
  • wingers and forwards 

seem to work but saw yesterday that one of my wingers inherited “come deep ....” from my F9 striker which wasn’t ideal :idiot:

Edited by Fritz13

On 17/11/2019 at 10:11, eencae said:

If I make a generic full-back group, does anyone have any idea if left-backs will pick up 'run with ball down the right' for example?

Whilst not impossible, this would be incredibly unlikely.

"Runs with ball down right" is favoured by players that have attributes conducive to this trait, such as high Dribbling, and find themselves in the position to do so, such as players positioned on the right hand side. As such, a LB (without any positional ability on the right or a right foot) would be unlikely to pick it up. Note that even if a LB does pick it up, they aren't going to try to use it in inappropriate scenarios (relative to their attributes), no LB is going to attempt to cross the pitch from left to right to dribble down the right.

Hi @Seb Wassell,

Thanks for your clarification.

11 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

Note that even if a LB does pick it up, they aren't going to try to use it in inappropriate scenarios (relative to their attributes), no LB is going to attempt to cross the pitch from left to right to dribble down the right.

This does raise an issue that may be a potential bug/GUI problem though.

Consider Leon Bailey, left-footed, AMRL. Has a 'Runs with ball down the left' trait. If you play him at AMR as an inside forward, the player instructions highlight a conflict 'cuts inside from wing' conflicts with 'runs with ball down the left' trait. 

Your explanation above suggests that he won't use the 'runs with ball down the left' trait if playing at AMR?

It seems that the position the player plays in should be taken into account when highlighting conflicting position/player traits e.g. Playing him an inside forward at AML and telling him to cut inside will clearly conflict with 'runs with ball down the left', but if he is playing at AMR as an inside forward forward, then 'runs with ball down the left' should not conflict with 'cuts inside from wing'?

18 minutes ago, eencae said:

Hi @Seb Wassell,

Thanks for your clarification.

This does raise an issue that may be a potential bug/GUI problem though.

Consider Leon Bailey, left-footed, AMRL. Has a 'Runs with ball down the left' trait. If you play him at AMR as an inside forward, the player instructions highlight a conflict 'cuts inside from wing' conflicts with 'runs with ball down the left' trait. 

Your explanation above suggests that he won't use the 'runs with ball down the left' trait if playing at AMR?

It seems that the position the player plays in should be taken into account when highlighting conflicting position/player traits e.g. Playing him an inside forward at AML and telling him to cut inside will clearly conflict with 'runs with ball down the left', but if he is playing at AMR as an inside forward forward, then 'runs with ball down the left' should not conflict with 'cuts inside from wing'?

No, they're substantially different. Running with ball down the left in this case would mean him crossing the entire pitch right to left, which he'll never do being an AMR. He'll still cut inside though, because it's not the same as the trait. 

2 hours ago, KlaaZ said:

No, they're substantially different. Running with ball down the left in this case would mean him crossing the entire pitch right to left, which he'll never do being an AMR. He'll still cut inside though, because it's not the same as the trait. 

That's my point, in the tactics screen, they are highlighted as being conflicts, but I do not think they are (when playing at AMR).

I've never seen mentoring have a strong effect in the game as of yet, just leave it to assistant to organise but definitely gonna try it out this game further 

1 hour ago, KGregory4444 said:

I've never seen mentoring have a strong effect in the game as of yet, just leave it to assistant to organise but definitely gonna try it out this game further 

It seems to be good for passing on traits quicker than training. However, you do need to be careful to not pass on the undesirable ones. On a Man Utd game I had, Pogba was a team leader so has a significant influence on his mentoring group. However, he ends up passing on 'Dwells on ball' and 'Shoots from distance', traits I consider to be negatives. Best to keep him out of groups in my view.

It is good when a professional, determined player can help to improve the determination stats of a younger player, hence helping them to reach their potential better, but hard to quantify the benefit.

I also have a theory that players in the same group will form on-pitch partnerships quicker, but again, it is hard to quantify this.

Overall, I feel if it is a feature of the game, it must do something or else they wouldn't bother putting it in!

22 hours ago, KGregory4444 said:

20 hours ago, eencae said:

It seems to be good for passing on traits quicker than training. However, you do need to be careful to not pass on the undesirable ones. On a Man Utd game I had, Pogba was a team leader so has a significant influence on his mentoring group. However, he ends up passing on 'Dwells on ball' and 'Shoots from distance', traits I consider to be negatives. Best to keep him out of groups in my view.

It is good when a professional, determined player can help to improve the determination stats of a younger player, hence helping them to reach their potential better, but hard to quantify the benefit.

Players will learn from others in the squad even outside of mentoring, this goes on all the time. However, mentoring is a way of focusing this. Want to encourage your wonderkid to learn from the club captain rather than another senior pro? Put them in the same mentoring group and it will bias him towards that player/s.

2 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

Players will learn from others in the squad even outside of mentoring, this goes on all the time. However, mentoring is a way of focusing this. Want to encourage your wonderkid to learn from the club captain rather than another senior pro? Put them in the same mentoring group and it will bias him towards that player/s.

So ideally you're looking for a captain/professional role model and then 2/3 young wonderkids? Any idea of what bests works for numbers and how many?

21 minutes ago, KGregory4444 said:

So ideally you're looking for a captain/professional role model and then 2/3 young wonderkids? Any idea of what bests works for numbers and how many?

That was just an example of which player you might want to learn from which. It's down to what characteristics you want to pass on. Mentoring groups have a minimum size of 3. I wouldn't recommend overloading them, but exact numbers is up to your preference/experience.

3 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

Wow did not know that perhaps thats why some of my younger players determination have gone down recently because of older not so determined players? I did not have them in any mentorgroup