Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
craiigman

Which ME had the most variation of goals/styles of play?

FM19 just didn't click with me, the lack of central through balls and other various ME flaws just put me off (overall still the best FM game). I enjoyed FM18, but even that game suffered with a lot of very similar goals (long ball over the top and wing to wing crossing). FM20 is near but from what I have seen, games play out quite similar to FM19.

So I'm looking to go back to an older game where there was more variation to the play/goals? I've seen FM15 mentioned quite a lot recently, is that the general best all round ME in terms of this?

Like I said before I do think FM19 is still the best overall package of FM, and FM20 is no doubt as well, I just want something a little more fun to watch really.

9 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

I'm enjoying my save with FM15, I've got 16 & 17 to try next but this has hooked me, great ME 

I loved FM15. It was hard for me to move on from that version. The only glaring ME issue back then was that there were too many goals.

In my honest opinion, FM19.

Okay, I suspect some of our more... outspoken users will now try to shoot me down for even daring to praise FM19 as having the best all-round match engine. Personally, I did see plenty of central through-balls and a healthy variety of goals/playing styles. Long shots weren't even that overpowered when you compare them to real-life figures. My only major gripe with FM19 ME-wise was the abundance of suicidal defensive headers.

I'd honestly take that over such issues as defenders freezing when long balls went over the top (FM18), wide attackers being ineffective (FM17), and wing-backs being absolutely dominant (FM16). I don't remember FM15 well enough to give a confident assessment of that match engine.

40 minutes ago, CFuller said:

In my honest opinion, FM19.

Okay, I suspect some of our more... outspoken users will now try to shoot me down for even daring to praise FM19 as having the best all-round match engine. Personally, I did see plenty of central through-balls and a healthy variety of goals/playing styles. Long shots weren't even that overpowered when you compare them to real-life figures. My only major gripe with FM19 ME-wise was the abundance of suicidal defensive headers.

I'd honestly take that over such issues as defenders freezing when long balls went over the top (FM18), wide attackers being ineffective (FM17), and wing-backs being absolutely dominant (FM16). I don't remember FM15 well enough to give a confident assessment of that match engine.

Long shots were definitely an issue with FM19. The match that got me to stop playing was someone with 8 long shots scoring 3 of them vs me.

4 minutes ago, craiigman said:

Long shots were definitely an issue with FM19. The match that got me to stop playing was someone with 8 long shots scoring 3 of them vs me.

Bear in mind that everyone has the same issues when it comes to FM. We all see the game differently.

Long shots on FM19 were an issue for you and for many other users. Many others didn't see that as an issue. I didn't.

One problem I did have on FM19 - and this might have been tactical on my part - was that I struggled to get the most out of attacking midfielders. Many others did as well... but many others didn't.

Edited by CFuller

Loved 16 and 17. Felt 18 was a step backwards and I just tired of 19 after a a few months.

Still in my first Beta season in 20, but enjoying the ME so far. Though, this could be more to do with my six month FM hiatus. I've now recharged the batteries and I'm really looking forward to playing the game again.

FM17 had an ME in which AI teams could really pin my team down on my own half and on occasion destroy me. Than was a lot of fun. Next to that, there was a Nice variety of goals albeit with some poor defending. Playermovement however looked a lot like iceskating.

FM18's ME has great player movement, especially first touch and turning with the ball and really had an ME that represented player rules well. Center play was still possible but I could also let my IF play like the real deal. AI teams however were a lot less proactive compared to FM17.

FM19 was close to being a masterpiece but in the end failed big time in terms of final third movement, center play and first touches of the ball. A very onedimensional ME with AI being reduced to Park the buss. 

Overall for me FM17 had the best balance for long term saves. FM18 though had the best lifelike playermovement and representation of ball control and passing. 

From what I have seen FM20 is a step up from FM19 but perhaps the technical difficulties of programming player movement with lines of engagement have hampered the natural freeflowing movement and best choices of passing of players within this ME in comparison to FM prior 2019.

Let's see what I've seen so far in my games:
1. Backheel flick inside the box for easy tap in
2. Rabana flick across the penalty area for placed shot
3. Central defender bombing up the pitch to get an assist by sending a pass across the face of the penalty area
4. Overhead kicks ,these are becoming quite common. There were 3 on my livestream when i checked the kind of goals that were being scored
5. Paola Di Canio leaping volley off a Kevin Be Bruyne vertical through ball, I never thought I'd see that ever, it had me really excited
6. Playing running towards the ball with back facing the goal, so he has no time to play the shot instead he backheels it to a player who is entering the box to score a smashing volley.

So yeah i am kinda digging FM20 atm, the only thing I'd like to see more of  is the short vertical no look pass assist and less impossible shots from impossible angles, however if that happens i think FM20 is just gonna turn into a goal festival.

Still FM17 at the moment, but I think the current one will eventually smash it out the park. 

Either 15 or 17. But the defending in 15 was awful, which lead to too many goals. 17 is much better in that aspect, and I am still having a blast playing 17. 

ME took a downturn in 16, recovered nicely in 17, then took another downturn in 18, from which it has yet to recover.  

16 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Let's see what I've seen so far in my games:
1. Backheel flick inside the box for easy tap in
2. Rabana flick across the penalty area for placed shot
3. Central defender bombing up the pitch to get an assist by sending a pass across the face of the penalty area
4. Overhead kicks ,these are becoming quite common. There were 3 on my livestream when i checked the kind of goals that were being scored
5. Paola Di Canio leaping volley off a Kevin Be Bruyne vertical through ball, I never thought I'd see that ever, it had me really excited
6. Playing running towards the ball with back facing the goal, so he has no time to play the shot instead he backheels it to a player who is entering the box to score a smashing volley.

So yeah i am kinda digging FM20 atm, the only thing I'd like to see more of  is the short vertical no look pass assist and less impossible shots from impossible angles, however if that happens i think FM20 is just gonna turn into a goal festival.

This. But also, in general, a defender lunging in to block a shot, recovering and making another last ditch attempt to block. Players just moving more naturally, nice little touch's, goal keepers actually looking like goalkeepers. General player movement more human looking. 

It's not perfect (it never will be) but for me FM20 has a genuine shot at being a classic ME with some subtle tweaks, long shots still too many, FB's and Wide players shooting from tight angles when a better option exists. And, am I the only person thats seen the FB play a suicide pass across the 18yrd box when not under pressure and straight on the the head of the opposition forward for a goal??? Seen twice, one for and one against in my first season.

1 hour ago, janrzm said:

t's not perfect (it never will be) but for me FM20 has a genuine shot at being a classic ME with some subtle tweaks, long shots still too many, FB's and Wide players shooting from tight angles when a better option exists. And, am I the only person thats seen the FB play a suicide pass across the 18yrd box when not under pressure and straight on the the head of the opposition forward for a goal??? Seen twice, one for and one against in my first season.

This is why the current ME is for me the worst we've had in many years. Its a frustrating mess, actual good football often results in fluffed chances or your fullback ignoring the 3 totally unmarked players to shoot from the byline. Then goals come from really weird mistakes, set pieces or an out of nowhere 30 yard worldie. I've also seen the suicidal cross into the box by fullbacks twice too (both in my favour). 

For me FM2019 was the best ME we've had. Every other ME has had at some point had glaring issues that really annoyed me. FM19 from day one of the Beta was great IMO and was still great right until about 3 weeks ago when I stopped playing it to play FM20. 

1 hour ago, kiwityke1983 said:

This is why the current ME is for me the worst we've had in many years. Its a frustrating mess, actual good football often results in fluffed chances or your fullback ignoring the 3 totally unmarked players to shoot from the byline. Then goals come from really weird mistakes, set pieces or an out of nowhere 30 yard worldie. I've also seen the suicidal cross into the box by fullbacks twice too (both in my favour). 

For me FM2019 was the best ME we've had. Every other ME has had at some point had glaring issues that really annoyed me. FM19 from day one of the Beta was great IMO and was still great right until about 3 weeks ago when I stopped playing it to play FM20. 

Hey @kiwityke1983, another Yorkshireman in NZ here. Weird, because I stopped playing FM19 for those reasons. I guess a lot depends on tactics but I'm seeing plenty of variations between tactics and with plenty of nice passing. Sounds like plenty with have experienced the suicide ball across the box......:lol: 

Edited by janrzm

2 hours ago, janrzm said:

Hey @kiwityke1983, another Yorkshireman in NZ here. Weird, because I stopped playing FM19 for those reasons. I guess a lot depends on tactics but I'm seeing plenty of variations between tactics and with plenty of nice passing. Sounds like plenty with have experienced the suicide ball across the box......:lol: 

I'm actually not in NZ anymore. I've been floating about in Asia the last 8 or so years. 

Yeah it's strange how some people love an ME and others hate the exact same ME and have diametrically opposed experiences of it. 

I always pick a good side when I play first save... So I'm testing the. Game not myself. So I went with Real Madrid... I signed pogba... By November he had 24 goals in 16 games... And Barcelona were unbeaten with rakitic top scorer 18 off 10 starts! Both were playing bbm. Pogbas were 2 pens and the rest from outside the box. 

Long shots are the one thing standing in fm20 way from the brief go I've had at it. This was over a week ago so not sure if any updates have affected it since. 

FM 16/17/19 were my least favourite... I'd be going back to 15 or 18 if I was that way inclined. Never enjoyable for me tho as the rest of the game moves on and is better in recent versions. 

54 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

I always pick a good side when I play first save... So I'm testing the. Game not myself. So I went with Real Madrid... I signed pogba... By November he had 24 goals in 16 games... And Barcelona were unbeaten with rakitic top scorer 18 off 10 starts! Both were playing bbm. Pogbas were 2 pens and the rest from outside the box. 

Long shots are the one thing standing in fm20 way from the brief go I've had at it. This was over a week ago so not sure if any updates have affected it since. 

FM 16/17/19 were my least favourite... I'd be going back to 15 or 18 if I was that way inclined. Never enjoyable for me tho as the rest of the game moves on and is better in recent versions. 

They have toned it down with the latest update. Now it is quite good balance, and FM20 is the first match engine which I can see my forwards try to dribble past GK and score more than once

FM17. That match engine was great, it only had two major problems: a) strikerless formations were too overpowered because defenders struggled to deal with late runners into the box; and b) once your team grew in reputation and became favourites, the AI camped on its box and it became 5 times harder to score, the game transformed itself into something completely different in too much of an exaggerated way.

FM18 is when things started going in a slightly wrong direction IMO to try to compensate for the problems and possible exploits in FM17. Central play was completely shut but then strikers roaming wide ran havoc. In FM19 that was shut down too, which led to an overall lack of area goals and then too many long shot goals were added to compensate. FM20 so far feels like a similar flavour to FM19 with a tiny little dash of the central play that had been badly missing from the '17 days, but it's still on a early stage with some problems and hasn't hit the perfect balance yet.

Now, obviously other little things have evolved a lot ever since then, dribbling in FM20 sees players try to search for their preferred foot in ways that hadn't happened before, there's more animations, formations are more balanced and there's no huge exploits like strikerless in 17 etc. Then there's all the new roles they've added since, and all the fixes they made to some roles. There's 3 extra years of work on top of it so obviously some things are better. I'm just talking my personal preference for what felt the most fun.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb noikeee:

once your team grew in reputation and became favourites, the AI camped on its box and it became 5 times harder to score, the game transformed itself into something completely different

Tbh i wouldnt call that a problem but the exact opposite, quite realistic and the best thing that can happen for long term games. :-)

6 minutes ago, Defensive said:

Tbh i wouldnt call that a problem but the exact opposite, quite realistic and the best thing that can happen for long term games. :-)

It's supposed to happen, but not to the extent it did in that ME. As soon as you became pre-match odds favourites, it all went from runners from deep absolutely cutting defences like a sharp knife on butter, to them not scoring any goals whatsoever, and being ridiculously hard to break down parked buses.

FM 2019 was good, but inside forwards were awful for me. They were good at assisting but shooting and cutting-inside was really poor. And there were way too many situations where one inside forward would cross the ball on the second inside forward head at the far post. No matter what player/tactic instructions. Too many headers from inside forwards. Everything else was good for me.

FM 2015 was the most complete and most balanced for me, and inside forwards were great. I wish something between FM 2019 and 15.

I've gone back to playing FM17 lately having spent the last couple of years playing 18 and 19 respectively.  I didn't realise just how much more fun 17 was until I'd spent considerable time playing the latter two versions.  Even graphically the 3D aesthetics of 17 blows 18 and 19 away with its variety of pitches and pitch states, lighting effects, and a whole host of different camera views to choose from (which unforgivably were removed in 18 and 19), plus 17 has a directors view that actually works as it should, and a nice variety of weather effects that seems to be lacking in the last two games.  17 really is the pinnacle of the ME for me, both how it plays and how it looks, despite its few flaws others have mentioned here.  FM18 and 19 were a big step backward imo. 

Hoping 20's ME is a lot more than just a "few tweaks" from the last two, if not I'll be sticking with 17 for the long haul.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb noikeee:

It's supposed to happen, but not to the extent it did in that ME. As soon as you became pre-match odds favourites, it all went from runners from deep absolutely cutting defences like a sharp knife on butter, to them not scoring any goals whatsoever, and being ridiculously hard to break down parked buses.

I just took a look at your story from FM17. Your team had won the Champions League and had reputation "world class", you stated yourself that teams like Barcelona or Bayern still played quite attacking style against you giving you space. Just in the league you had this problem. So i dont see anything wrong with that (for example against Barcelona in La Liga every team other than Real will probabaly park the bus). So for me still thats a good thing.

Anyway, this thread is about variety of goals.