Sports Interactive Community
ManUtd1

[FM 20] The Nearly Men, Vol. IV: I Am Not A Demon. I Am A Lizard. A Shark. A Heat-Seeking Panther. I Want To Be Bob Denver On Acid Playing The Accordion.

5 hours ago, rodesire said:

The boy who scored!

Still can't recover from Arsenal winning CL vs Bayern

Unai Emery.  Legend.

tenor.gif?itemid=12475164

The Europa Conference League is even more glorious than I could have ever dreamed...trips to Leto-gorets, HJK and AIK.  Yes, please.

ae46bc95a28e5779f978ec512cc8c906.png  

giphy.gif 

Edited by ManUtd1

10 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Merle has a reputation for being the life of the party, and is carrying no less than four glass baking pans, demanding to know where the kitchen is.  “I made lasagna,” he announces triumphantly.

This made me laugh more than it should've done. Great work so far.

7 hours ago, bigmattb28 said:

This made me laugh more than it should've done. Great work so far.

Thanks, man!  

:lol:

My Tactics Have A Libero.  Your Arguments Are Invalid.

PicsArt_11-22-02.43.22.png

Panathinaikos AO - December 2023

A little over six months into our tenure in Athens and we could not have asked for a better start.

Sure, the welcome wasn’t as warm as we’d hoped beyond a handful of people, but they’ve become a second family.  The lads have begun to believe in themselves, and – more importantly – what it is that we’re trying to do on the pitch.  My predecessor’s signings have largely fit into our plans, as have the youth we recruited.  Young Mejri in particular…that lad is going places.  It’s more a question of how long we can keep him, than whether he’s going to break out. 

It’s early days, yet.  We can’t get ahead of ourselves.  If we can maintain this form and start to recruit more young, hungry players…this is a club that will go places.

That is, if I can get Jesse to focus.  He’s just opened up a blog, starting up a campaign to have the Game of Thrones ending changed.  He's still mad about which dragon killed which wizard, I think.

separator

As Nicolaj notes, we have every reason to be thrilled at this juncture of the save.

The side and tactics are clicking, for the most part.  We’re playing 3 main tactics.  The first two are PM Krigsherre and PM Laenket, the strikerless tactics I developed on the beta (detailed here).  The third tactic is new, in response to the Board’s preference for a possession-based style.  I’ve dubbed it PMK Tiki No Taco, since we’re not going to play Pep-approved tiki-taka with this squad.  (Don’t worry, it is still a strikerless libero tactic.) 

Over the next few days, I’ll post a full-blown tactical breakdown/analysis, with a ton of additional detail.

In terms of the squad, there’s a ton of work to be done.  Where we were upon Bur’s arrival in June 2023 isn’t going to be anywhere good enough to get us to the Champions League Group Stage, much less beyond.  I’m pleased with Lucio Carlos (a signing made by my predecessor), and managed to bring in a few tasty prospects: Aymen Mejri ($700k from CS Sfax; our leading goalscorer and starting shadow striker); Alexis Barán ($2.7M from Nacional; who I want to slot in as a mezzala); and Erwin Amberg ($1.1M from Basel; a libero in the making).  Zacharias Gerakaris and Charalabos Sordis were the two best young prospects at the club, Tómas Aron Hreiðarsson is decent enough at this point.

Early indications are that our 2024 youth intake will be solid. I'm also out looking for players to scout and recruit...the Panathinaikos revolution is most certainly in full swing.

At the end of the day, though, it is all about the results.  And our results speak for themselves:

Panathinaikos-AO_-Competitions.png?fit=1 Panathinaikos-AO_-Fixtures.png?fit=1024%

Thus far I’ve played every match, usually tinkering within the 3 tactics to suit the moment, spending most of my time in PMK Tiki No Taco and PM Laenket.  In the SuperLeague, we've scored 29 (2nd highest), conceding 11 (3rd best). Again, I plan to go into far more tactical detail (with downloads) over the weekend.

I’ve been rotating as a 26-man squad – 2 defined XIs with 4 youth prospects working with the 2nd XI.  This is about a big a first team squad as I’m comfortable having, and am thankful that we have the Europa Conference League to ensure that players are getting enough time on the pitch (for the most part…).

Panathinaikos-AO_-Players.png?fit=1024%2

Speaking of which, I just need to say (again)…I absolutely love the Europa Conference League.  The Group Stage draw made me deliriously happy, after three brilliant qualifying rounds.  The only frustration is that, if I’m going to have any “success” in the broader scope of this save, I won’t be playing in it very often.

That's all for now. It's time to press on into the Winter, with fingers crossed for the knockout round draw.

png-page-divider-letterpress-dividers-527.png

Cross-posted at From the Cheap Seats.

Edited by ManUtd1

Wait how are you meant to progress to winning the Champions League. I assume it's probably to win the Superleague in Greece and go from there.

giphy.gif

18 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

*sigh*

I hope your **** falls off, Zacharis.

757655a2ce368bc20b93a64c5a20b3c6.png 

Sort of like this ;)

Image result for dragonair anime gif"

Edited by HawkAussie

3 hours ago, mjaferrie said:

Delighted to see this madness still exists! 

Hey man! Hope all is well for you :D :brock:

b56d76f541810c36e01941b003cef543.png 2f6fb869f4fef88921a7571119ab6d48.png 

giphy.gif

Edited by ManUtd1

Oh, yes...Daddy like. We blew a chance to leapfrog Olympiacos in the SuperLeague (with the 2nd XI losing to AEK) but in 8 matches against our biggest domestic rival this year, who is a much better side, we've won 3 and drawn 5, eliminating them from both the Europa Conference League and the Kýpello Ellados.  I'll take that.

806a60ce17c11470f105d45858c9a391.jpg a9283a0b61f4bb8f0577fb8769c41b25.jpg 

a862bc0c2e7447e426cf3df70f3e259b.png 

902e57504ec7f32524f48ab09add82f2.png 

20 hours ago, HawkAussie said:

Really need to be Olympiacos in one of those league matches to go back to first place.

No question about it. All told, I'm please to not lose to them, but we obviously need to start winning those matches to push them off the top.

Every Man Is The Hero Of His Own Story.

Panathinaikos AO - June 2024

A disappointing end to an otherwise tremendous year.

Three wins from thirteen matches over the last six weeks of the season…form that, earlier in the year, would have had us on the verge of the sack.  All told, we met or exceeded all expectations.  Third in the League, and narrowly missing out on the finals of both the Europa Conference League and the Kýpello Ellados, while taking the first steps to rebuild the squad. 

Fortunately, the Board did not take the opportunity to adjust its expectations upwards.  We need time to finish reshaping and building the squad – ship out the dead wood, bring in the youth.  We may be in for rougher waters before we reach the promised land.

Bozidar is irate.  Despite investment by the Board, we’ve suffered a temporary setback in modernizing our training facilities – a massive rat infestation was discovered, leading the health inspector to shut down our post-season awards dinner and ban the players from training there until it is resolved. Fortunately, we have the summer to address it.

Bozidar’s solution?  Unorthodox, to say the least.

“Boss, is simples.  We unleash wave after the wave of venemuosse Chinese needle sneks.”

“But aren’t the snakes even worse than the rats?!”

“Yes, sneks much much to the worse than the rat.  But don’t worry, be happy.  Your Bozidar has thought of the this.  To prepare, I have lined up a shipment of fabulous gorillas that thrive on snek meat.”

“But then we’re stuck with gorillas, man!”

“No to the no, Boss.  This is beautiful part of plan.  When the winter come like cold grip of ice, the gorillas do be the freezing to death.”

“First of all, it doesn’t get that cold in Athens.  Second, and most importantly, that’s insane.  We’re not doing this.  No way.”

“Is too late, Boss.  The sneks is in charge now.”

Sounds like a job for Merle, Magnus and Taako.

separator

Putting aside Bozidar’s snake problem, it truly has been as good as year as we had every right to expect. We stumbled more in the last 2 months than I’m happy with, but that isn’t unexpected at this stage of Bur’s tenure in Athens. 

Most of the older/established players just aren’t good enough, and the youth need time to develop and mature.  The focus this summer will be on continuing to ship out the dead weight, replacing them with talented youth prospects.

If you haven’t followed my threads before, I have some pretty simple guidelines when building a squad.  For our purposes today, the big rule is this: if you’re over the age of 25 and/or on a high wage, you have to be in the 1st XI or on the subs bench.  If you can’t make that 18-man squad, you’re almost certainly going to be put on the transfer list.  No sentiment allowed.  Of course, there will be exceptions here and there.  But the first year or two I’m at a club, I’m not the slightest bit worried about shipping a ton of players off. 

For Panathinaikos, this means a slew of players were shipped out before or during the season.  I’ve also targeted Clemenza, Rocha, Kourbelis, Junior and Schenkeveld for departures this summer – they’re either too old or blocking the progression of a younger, better players.  Insua and Sankhare are out of contract and will be leaving on free transfers.  One promising youth prospect, Gerakaris, declined to sign a new contract and is off to Augsberg. (He was promptly dropped to the U19s and hasn’t played with the first team since.)

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn’t say (again!) how much I love the Europa Conference League.  It is delightful in every possible respect.  I couldn’t be happier to be playing in it again next year, for two reasons: (1) the opponents are a beautiful jumble of “smaller” sides that you wouldn’t get to face in the Champions League; and (2) the extra games means that, even with a larger squad, I was able to get almost everyone “enough” games. 

Goals for 2024/25: In the SuperLeague, the question will be whether our reliance on youth hinders the battle to secure Champions League football for 2025/26 – that would require a top-two finish.  I think it is doable.  But I’d be content with repeating our 3rd place finish.  Anything less than that would be a disappointment, personally, even if the Board is only asking for a top-half finish.  Having narrowly missed the final this year, anything less than a romp in the knockout stages will be a disappointment.

Panathinaikos-AO_-Players-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 SuperLeague-1_-Profile.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Panathinaikos-AO_-Transfer-History-2.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

Panathinaikos-AO_-Summary.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Panathinaikos-AO_-Income-2.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Panathinaikos-AO_-Expenditure-2.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

Panathinaikos-AO_-Fixtures-2.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Panathinaikos-AO_-Fixtures-3.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Panathinaikos-AO_-Fixtures-4.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

png-page-divider-letterpress-dividers-52

European Review, 2023/24

Of course, before we can more on we have to take a look around Europe to see how everyone else has done...

In the Champions League, Pep Guardiola’s Liverpool beat Frank Lampard’s Chelsea 2-1 (aet) in the Final, claiming their 3rd title in 5 years.  Thomas Tuchel’s PS-****ing-G reached the semifinals, with Napoli going out at the quarterfinal stage.

Liverpool-v-Chelsea_-Review.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 UEFA-Champions-League_-Profile.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 UEFA-Champions-League_-Stages.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

In the Europa League, Massimiliano Allegri’s Milan beat Nikos Kostenoglou’s Lyon 2-nil in the Final. 

Lyon-v-Milan_-Review.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 UEFA-Europa-League_-Profile.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 UEFA-Europa-League_-Stages.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

The Europa Conference League saw Patrick Vieira’s Köln vanquish Abel Ferreira’s PAOK on penalties after a 1-1 draw.\

PAOK-v-Köln_-Review.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 UEFA-Europa-Conference-League_-Profile.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 UEFA-Europa-Conference-League_-Stages.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

And in the active leagues…Diego Simeone’s Barcelona claimed the title in Spain.  Carlo Ancelotti’s Tottenham won the Premier League.  Maurizio Sarri is not sorry for Juventus doing Juventus things.  Ernesto Valverde’s Bayern reclaimed their title in the Bundesliga.  Stanislav Genchev’s Genk won the Jupiler Pro League.  Dragan Stojkovic continued Crvena zvezda's dominance in Serbia.  And, finally, Andreas Alm’s BK Häcken won their 3rd title in 4 years.

Allsvenskan_-Profile.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Bundesliga_-Profile.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Jupiler-Pro-League_-Profile-2.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 LaLiga-Santander_-Profile.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Ligue-1-Conforama_-Profile.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Linglong-Tire-Super-liga_-Profile.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Premier-League_-Profile.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Serie-A-TIM_-Profile.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

separator

Save/Challenge Overview

c92fe4ee5b896d70eb2fb2a491e0145b.png?fit

6cfba486e314a990eda62e59ca96a7ec.png?fit

Not a bad first season,with the right improvements I think you can take it next season.

I also liked the throwback to the Simpsons episode mentioning the Chinese needle snakes :D  

Dare to Panathinaikos

Zlatan

Panathinaikos AO - August 2024

All summer, Magnus, Merle and Taako have worked to eradicate the nest of venomous snakes at the training facility, to no avail.

Bozidar washed his hands of the entire affair almost immediately, refusing to accept responsibility or help the groundskeeping crew. The Board refuse to sack him, though, claiming that their hands are tied. I question whether they understand the meaning of the phrase, or if there is something else going on behind the scenes.

The first few weeks of training weren't all that bad, as we used the situation as an excuse to hold a training camp in Italy. Jesse and I are pretty sure we saw George Clooney grabbing a coffee one day, but he ran away when Jesse ran after him, loudly demanding that he explain the plot to Oceans Eleven.

"It's a complicated film," he complained after George scampered away. "It really isn't," I tell him. But we've had this discussion before. More than once.

The heat of August had made the snakes angry, so we were forced to train in a local park. Rondo takes on a whole new level of difficulty when you're dealing with loose dogs and 12 year-olds chucking frisbees around.

The updates from Magnus, Merle and Taako were not giving us any cause for hope, either. Merle had barely escaped their last encounter, having to smash one snake over the head with his Extreme Teen Bible...which only made the snake even more angry.

And, just when all hope seemed to be lost, I got a text from Taako saying that the facility was open again, the snakes were...gone. I wrote back in disbelief, and received silence in return. There was nothing to do but hop on the moped with Jesse, turn on Night Ranger's Greatest Hits, and get out to Koropi as soon as possible.

When we arrived, it all became clear.

There he was at the front gate. Standing, arms aloft in his trademark pose, shirt and pants ripped like he was the frontman in an 80's hair band...snake bites puncturing every visible inch of his skin.

"The Zlatan is not impressed. Is only snakes, is tickling competition. Snakes lose, because the Zlatan's blood is poison to any but the Zlatan. You should feel shame, because now the Zlatan is bored."

Word has spread throughout the club, and on social media. A crowd has gathered, even if no one dares venture inside. No one knows why Zlatan is here, but now that he is there's only one thing to do...invite him to speak to the lads. Maybe take a training session or two. It's only polite. Frankly, it would be rude not to.

Looking down at his tattered, destroyed clothes, Zlatan nods. "Yes. This would be not the boring, like snake fight. The Zlatan will need clothes, though, and weekly paycheck."

We don't hesitate to agree. There's much a player of his caliber can teach our young squad.

Jesse begins to lead Zlatan inside, as I head to the Chairman's office. I hear Zlatan assuring Jesse that his pay demands will be modest. "Paycheck for now. Statute of the Zlatan, later." Jesse just nods amiably.

I think I'll wait to tell the Chairman about the statue. We've got a Europa Conference League match to prepare for.

page break

Yes, you read that correctly. Zlatan Ibrahimovic has joined the coaching staff at Panathinaikos. The last time he was on my coaching staff, he eventually renounced his Swedish citizenship (in favor of Denmark) before running for Prime Minister. So, yeah...to say that I'm excited about this doesn't even begin to describe how I'm feeling. (When I started the save, I said to myself I wouldn't hire him...but I couldn't help myself. He brings so much joyful madness to the narrative side of the save. Just don't play Rock, Paper Scissors with him.)

a36eaf8ae205883ce7e61ff67df9da17.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 98105c6036a5c88ccacc31af306002b5.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

We've started the season strong, with a 4-1 aggregate win over Zurich to see us through to the Europa Conference League Fourth Qualifying Round. The youth movement continues, as we shipped out some older players (and youth prospects who were never going to make it), leaving a 23-man squad for the campaign. We made four big signings during the summer window, with no additional signings planned for now: Tomas Masek, Tarmo Bragin, Marko Botic, and Dionysis Moukidis.

That could change if Sourdis keeps moaning about not being allow to move (I auto-rejected an $8M bid from Brighton, inclusive of incentives). I can't stand players who moan - he's not good enough to be such a ****.

Before we move on to the season proper...let's take a quick look at the 2024 European Championships in Germany, where Marco Giampaolo's Italy defeated Juande Ramos' Spain on penalties.

ee5bf22fe6b720e2f75811bf4243cf82.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 25032f3f565cc2bd4a9efb9af24df49b.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

a3c15594a58cece3d8100d4f05688ef9.png b71b44b709eb56567c3a1bbb1e2fdf33.png

6f10ba14330621604bfcadfb932bd416.png

Edited by ManUtd1

"Remonstrated."  That's a very polite way of describing Zlatan's threats. But it worked...this time. 

I suggest you keep your eyes on your road haulage business, Stavros, keep your opinions to yourself and start signing some ****ing checks, there's a good lad. Leave the running of this football club to the professionals.

0767fb8909209c27244b5ebb0344eaa2.png 

I don’t really come on here anymore, but had popped back on to steal the list of clubs so that I could attempt a similar challenge. 

I too have landed at Panathinaikos. 

Thrilled to see you’re giving this another go and I’ll be popping back every now and then to see your inevitably rapid progress. 

Thank god at least you lost League title from Olympiakos..:lol: Great start with Panathinaikos and beein financialy so healthy after many many many years is a huge step.:thup:

5 hours ago, Joe. said:

I don’t really come on here anymore, but had popped back on to steal the list of clubs so that I could attempt a similar challenge. 

I too have landed at Panathinaikos. 

Thrilled to see you’re giving this another go and I’ll be popping back every now and then to see your inevitably rapid progress. 

Hey! Good luck with your save, man. Be sure to drop in and let us know how it's going! :brock:

2 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

Thank god at least you lost League title from Olympiakos..:lol: Great start with Panathinaikos and beein financialy so healthy after many many many years is a huge step.:thup:

Thanks... I think :lol:

Olympiacos is struggling so far in 2024/25, way too many dropped points. There's an opportunity for someone... If only we can stand up to take it.

The First 90 Minutes Are The Most Important

Panathinaikos AO - March 2025

This is what I'm talking about, lads. What did I tell you?! The Flame and the Void. That's the secret.

Zlatan calls it the Oneness. He clearly knows something about mental focus and preparedness...but I'm not sure we should trust his judgment on everything. Just yesterday he was screaming at Jesse about how the Moon doesn't really exist, it is just the back of the Sun.

Credit where credit is due, though, he did institute "Taco Tuesdays" which have been a revelation in terms of team morale. Taako, for one, has been intrigued by the culinary innovations on display each week, furtively taking note and harassing the club chefs for their "secrets."

Maybe it's the grapefruit delivered to the players each morning...maybe it's the tacos...maybe it's the special milkshakes that Bozidar passes out after training. Whatever the reason, we're clicking.

Unbeaten in the SuperLeague since September, we've opened up a 10-point lead over PAOK heading into the Championship Group Stage, 12 points clear of #Olympiac-rap. Yeah, I'm not so sure about that hashtag, either. Zlatan has been trying to get it trending on Twitter to distract from the incident with that ballboy who was vaping. No, don't ask. He's taking PR advice from Bozidar -- they both deserve whatever they get.

And we need to focus. 10 weeks left. 10 SuperLeague matches. A Cup semifinal against Nuno Espirito Santos' men, and a date with Gent in the Europa Conference League.

All to play for.

Jesse begins to lead Zlatan inside, as I head to the Chairman's office. I hear Zlatan assuring Jesse that his pay demands will be modest. "Paycheck for now. Statute of the Zlatan, later." Jesse just nods amiably.

I think I'll wait to tell the Chairman about the statue. We've got a Europa Conference League match to prepare for.

page break

98a988b9eba35d9220d756120ab172d8-1.png

Zlatan has sworn that he's never gonna give Panathinaikos up, never gonna let Panathinaikos down.

page break

We're on the rampage in Greece, playing brilliantly after a few modest tweaks to our strikerless/libero tactics.

What changed from the tactics described on the blog, you ask? Quite simple, really. I just added "work ball into box" to both PM Krigsherre and PM Laenket, while switching to low crosses (instead of mixed) in all three tactics. Both make sense and have been included in the strikerless tactics I've used in prior editions -- I didn't see any real benefit to these tweaks during initial tests on the beta ME. Regardless, I'm seeing it now.

The results speak for themselves:

6c837fcb9a441d3f7dfdac1b2d95c6d2.png?fit=1024%2C457&ssl=1 49ee72527e3fa4533f34825810fcf5b8.png?fit=1024%2C525&ssl=1

715eea1d1457ff00a0d58271ac829e2f.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

We've managed thus far to stave off interest in our players, even though I've had to hand out some new contracts to keep people happy.

The Managing Director initially went over my head to accept an $11.5M offer for Sourdis the day after our transfer window closed...which they promptly backed off of when confronted by Zlatan. (Frankly, I think "remonstrated" is a rather polite way to describe what Zlatan threatened to do to his daughter's pony. But that's neither here nor there.)

I may look to move him on in the summer -- Masek is much better, and I could easily find a talented, young inverted winger for less than ~$10M. We'll see what happens in the summer. I'm also looking to move Mota on (he's been after a new contract), especially since Gazim Lleshi ($3.7M from Rad) will arrive in the summer.

Bottom line, we're flying. In every respect. If we can maintain anything near this form over the run-in we'll be playing in the Champions League next year...and that's when things will really take off.

I'll leave you with something I'm really excited about -- the first in a series of actual podcasts from Nicolaj Bur's namesake. Click. Listen. Enjoy:

3ac1d951c800ac66340a4b7108024c88.png

Caged Wisdom with Nicolas Cage - the pop culture podcast you never knew you always needed.

Edited by ManUtd1

Note: I had a crash dump right before the Gent match -and to replay: (1) the 2nd leg against Young Boys; and (2) Matchday 26 of the SuperLeague.  I IR'd both -- we beat Young Boys and drew with Atromitos, but nevertheless remain 10 points clear of PAOK (even if Olympiacos is now only 10 back).  And, we drew Dinamo for the Europa Conference League...which is great, as we owe them.  

i dedicate this victory to you, @Bedese.  Payback for the two losses during the Group Stage, and for you.

ef0eec15a41866cb79eeb0f01a726bc7.jpg 

i-will-counterattack.jpg

18 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Hey! Good luck with your save, man. Be sure to drop in and let us know how it's going

So far so good 😉 joined with 7 games left of a season and moved up to third so got the Europa League to plough through.

Squad is messy, needs some serious destruction but I’ve got zero funds (had to ‘adjust budget’ for an £83k signing) and so I’m stuck with what I’ve got for the time being. Plenty of contracts running out though so funds will open up slightly. 

I should hope I’ll get the Champions League in my 5th or 6th season - or at least be getting to the semis, at which point it’s a bit of a lottery. 

Anyways... "C'est la brie," as the French say. It just wasn’t meant to be.

Deffo a new one to add to my vocab. So happy to see you back!

2 hours ago, danmcconnell1 said:

Anyways... "C'est la brie," as the French say. It just wasn’t meant to be.

Deffo a new one to add to my vocab. So happy to see you back!

Glad someone got a kick out of that, it made me laugh... :lol:

2 hours ago, SRL88 said:

Great string of results with that tactical change.

Thanks, man!  Obvious tweaks really, even if they didn't seem to do much on the beta ME.

5 hours ago, Joe. said:

So far so good 😉 joined with 7 games left of a season and moved up to third so got the Europa League to plough through.

Squad is messy, needs some serious destruction but I’ve got zero funds (had to ‘adjust budget’ for an £83k signing) and so I’m stuck with what I’ve got for the time being. Plenty of contracts running out though so funds will open up slightly. 

I should hope I’ll get the Champions League in my 5th or 6th season - or at least be getting to the semis, at which point it’s a bit of a lottery. 

Sounds like Greece the other times I've been here! Once the ball starts rolling, though... I agree, 5-6 seasons is my usual target at a club like Panathinaikos, Partizan, etc. Good luck n

1 hour ago, ManUtd1 said:

hey its me ur Cristiano

send wunderkds?

c38175a8978427d9a03f1a1f19f629a7.png e990d3e39e2c58eacc0b90e590ae5777.png

Negotiating 6 - you can come see my museum instead of those 5kpw

This is Panathinaikos

PicsArt_11-29-09.25.47.jpg?w=630&ssl=1

Panathinaikos AO - Season Review 2024/25

The flight back from Manchester passes in a blur. The alcohol and adrenaline are flowing like cheap red wine...and we've got a fair amount of that, too.

Zlatan and Jesse are on the karaoke machine with the lads. Their rendition of Living on a Prayer was epic, to say the least.

But the poetry of the lyrics struck me...we're halfway there? We aren't halfway there. Champions of Greece, certainly. Europa Conference League winners, against all odds, no doubt. But the true prize, the Champions League? We're a long ways off from scaling those heights.

Change is inevitable. We must refresh, renew. The sentiment of this moment cannot be allowed to dictate the path forward. Decisions must be made.

Sokratis Dioudis...8 years and more than 200 appearances for the club? He's out of contract at the end of June, and has already been told it won't be renewed. The Etihad was his triumphant swan-song, a going away party. Young Jónsson is ready and has a bright future. He needs to be in the spotlight. Bekris is arriving from Panionios to deputize...the first of three Greek youngsters to arrive.

Diego Gonzalez has only been with us for 2 years, but his time has come as well. A steady hand, but youth is the calling of the day in Athens. We need to look to the horizon and what this side will be in 3 years' time.

The same can be said for Dany Mota, who at the age of 27 is agitating for a big contract or a move to a bigger side. It will have to be the latter. Lleshi is every bit his equal, 10 years his junior and will arrive in a few weeks.

Dickmann...a fan-favorite...unless a suitable offer arrives, he'll finish out his contract and split time with Schou.

Sourtis has already been up to see me three times during the flight about a move abroad. The arrogance of youth. He can't even get into this side, and is more trouble than he's worth. We'll gladly move him on. If our price is met. If not...well, there's always that optional extension clause that he seems to have forgotten.

I chuckle to myself as the plane makes its final descent into Athens. Thousands of green-clad supporters await. This moment is their moment, and they should enjoy it to the fullest. Our responsibility now is to take them to the next level.

As Jesse would say, "the Champions League is coming." I think one of the wizards on that Games on Thrones show he's always watching says that. I'll have to ask him.

separator

What a year. Taking home the SuperLeague title was a nice surprise. Truth be told, it was about a year ahead of schedule and can be chalked up in good part to Olympiacos' domestic inconsistency.

The Europa Conference League campaign was utterly epic, with a final against Chelsea that will long live in my memory. It had everything. I'm still buzzing. Again, I cannot emphasize enough just how much I love the Europa Conference League.

All told, the save is in a brilliant place. The squad is coming together, the tactics are clicking...I couldn't ask for much more in terms of how we're doing.

Goals for 2025/26: Win the SuperLeague. Qualify for the Europa League knockout rounds, from the Champions League Group Stage. Start managing on the international level, if an eligible nation opens up and looks like a "fit."

Panathinaikos-AO_-Players-2.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 SuperLeague-1_-Profile-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Panathinaikos-AO_-Transfer-History.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

Panathinaikos-AO_-Summary-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Panathinaikos-AO_-Income.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Panathinaikos-AO_-Expenditure.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

Panathinaikos-AO_-Fixtures-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Panathinaikos-AO_-Fixtures-2-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Panathinaikos-AO_-Fixtures-3-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

png-page-divider-letterpress-dividers-52

European Review

Of course, before we can move on, we need to see what else happened in Europe...

In the Champions League, Paulo Fonseca's Roma cast aside the "Nearly Men" moniker in extra time, thanks to a 96th-minute Jesse Lingard goal, which prevented Pep Guardiola's Liverpool from winning their third-straight title.

Roma-v-Liverpool_-Review.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 UEFA-Champions-League_-Profile-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 UEFA-Champions-League_-Stages-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

In the Europa League, Jose Mourinho's Arsenal beat Julian Nagelsmann's Inter, 1-nil. 

Arsenal-v-Inter_-Review.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 UEFA-Europa-League_-Profile-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 UEFA-Europa-League_-Stages-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

The Europa Conference League is covered in some detail already, but let's glance at the overview anyways.

89940b3e7caac4236fc393a41953e0e3-1024x576.jpg UEFA-Europa-Conference-League_-Profile-1-1024x576.png UEFA-Europa-Conference-League_-Stages-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

And in the active leagues…Diego Simeone’s Barcelona claimed their 2nd straight title in Spain.  Unai Emery's Man City won the Premier League.  Maurizio Sarri's Juve, Valverde’s Bayern, and Thomas Tuchel's PSG did their usual things. Stanislav Genchev’s Genk defended their Jupiler Pro League, while Dragan Stojkovic's Crvena zvezda remain dominant in Serbia.  And, finally, Kim Hellberg's Hammarby claimed the Allsvenskan title.

Allsvenskan_-Profile-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Bundesliga_-Profile-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Jupiler-Pro-League_-Profile.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 LaLiga-Santander_-Profile-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Ligue-1-Conforama_-Profile-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Linglong-Tire-Super-liga_-Profile-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Premier-League_-Profile-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 Serie-A-TIM_-Profile-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

separator

Save/Challenge Overview

8ce1d5f28e37287dc914eb19ddb3ad51.png

9b7f32da50f8ba97646deb16f4a5b8c2.png

Edited by ManUtd1

9 hours ago, rodesire said:

What a game :applause:

8 hours ago, JonasAjax said:

That was brilliant.

Thanks, guys!  Easily one of the most memorable finals I've ever had.  I'm still buzzing!

7 hours ago, rodesire said:

...Champions of Europa Conference League, you've never sung that...

*cries in Frank Lampard*

4 hours ago, B.W.G said:

What a brilliant season :thup: 

Thanks, man!

2 hours ago, rodesire said:

AI gonna leave you with no job at this rate xD

Seriously... Start doing too well and the Board will start getting demanding...

1 hour ago, kidthekid said:

Congrats on a great season. UCL next.

Thanks, man!  It's almost go time...

tenor.gif

11 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

In the Champions League, Paulo Fonseca's Roma cast aside the "Nearly Men" moniker in extra time, thanks to a 96th-minute Jesse Lingard goal, which prevented Pep Guardiola's Liverpool from winning their third-straight title.

Roma-v-Liverpool_-Review.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 UEFA-Champions-League_-Profile-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1 UEFA-Champions-League_-Stages-1.png?fit=1024%2C576&ssl=1

3 hours ago, nie jem frytek said:

The what happened in the Champions League?

Roma took home the title, thanks to an extra time strike from Messi LinGod.

August 2025.

All told, it was a decent summer of business. I was able to keep the players I wanted to keep, and to ship out the ones who needed to leave. Light a candle for Panionios, though, from whom I nabbed 3 of the best young players in Greece in Skoufalis, Xenitopoulos and Bekris. [Editor's note: for legal reasons, we must note that no children were kidnapped in the making of this post.]

Lleshi, as previously noted, is in from Rad to replace Mota.

Last, we landed Thanos "I Am Inevitable" Kallidis from PAOK, albeit at a slightly inflated price. This kid looks like the business, and not in a "I will destroy half the universe" kind of way. But...I'm a little worried that the inflated transfer price is going to his head. He showed up for the first day of training wearing a single metallic glove, and refuses to take it off because he thinks it makes him look he's in a Marvel movie.

Zlatan, naturally, has made it is his life's mission to instill some humility in young Thanos -- a good plan, even if his methods are suspect (e.g., calling him "Jacko" and demanding that he do the Moonwalk before he's allowed to take water breaks during training).

The way I look at it, this will end one of two ways: either Thanos will murder us all in our sleep, or he'll win the Ballon d'Or.

giphy.gif

9660e1aa7353bf28deb35caad4a8a9fe.png b613e2d5cd82b5620986cfc827a20cf5.png?fit

Edited by ManUtd1
Fixed screenshot