[FM 20] The Nearly Men, Vol. IV: I Am Not A Demon. I Am A Lizard. A Shark. A Heat-Seeking Panther. I Want To Be Bob Denver On Acid Playing The Accordion.

ManUtd1

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

December 2044.

The Belgians ended 2044 unbeaten in all competitions, with 2 wins in the Nations League -- giving England the ol' slap-and-tickle at Wembley, followed by a 3-nil win in Trnava.

2044 ends with us getting our heads kicked in against Roma, but we're sitting 8th and have all kinds of reasons for optimism. My goal is to push for a spot in Europe, although that might be a bridge too far.

f552033fa650aa1e6d9b6c7504b5c31a.png

514a939cfdab7d1ed0207e0cc052e978.png

December 2044.

Crisis talks with Gary. On Christmas Eve. What a life, eh?

Crisis, but only in the existential sense.

"Listen, Gary. It isn't you. It's me. Well, it's us."

Gary just looks at me, blankly. Perhaps its the Sizzurp eggnog he's been drinking all night. Perhaps it's the concussion and open head wound he appears to have suffered on the way over here. But he's not quite tracking.

"Gary...are you with me, Gary? Focus, man."

Gary's eyes focus, and he nods amiably. "Hey there, Nico-lad! Where...oh, ok, then. Right."

Gary looks around, pleasantly befuddled but not in a state of distress. A drop of blood runs from his forehead, down the side of his face. Gary doesn't notice. He's all glassy-eyed smiles.

I defer to Zlatan. We've agreed that he should do the talking. He and Gary are simpatico.

"Mister Gary. Is the simples. When you sign the Nico, Mister Gary is buying a Ferrari. If Mister Gary drive a Ferrari, Mister Gary put premium petrol in the tank, Mister Gary hit the motorway, and Mister Gary step on the gas. But with this 'you can't sign anyone' silliness, Mister Gary is filling up the Nico with diesel and taking the Nico for spin in the countryside. Mister Gary should have signed the Rodgers if Mister Gary just want to go for ride in the countryside."

Gary nods slowly, as he opens his mouth to speak, I notice that his teeth are stained with blood. This isn't good. He needs medical attention.

But I think we're getting through to him, even if his words come out in a mumbled, staccato fashion. Almost incoherent.

"Zlatan, my old son... Nico, the brother I never had, from a mother I never knew. I have always said it. Your friendship to me, like that of a porcupine withholding its authority, was always the friendship of a star. Aloof. With no more intimacy than was called for. With no exaggerations."

Zlatan and I exchange a worried glance. But before either of us can interject, Gary continues, growing more adamant. The light in his eyes returning.

"I guess we are who we are. Headlights shining in the dark night. I drive on. Maybe we took this too far..."

Gary falls silent. Morose. His head bowed, shaking slowly from side to side.

"Gary," Zlatan interjects. "Gary, can we...you know, loosen the restrictions a little? Put some premium gas in the tank, brother?"

Gary is quiet. Non-responsive.

Zlatan and I exchange another look. Zlatan shrugs, and gestures for patience.

So, we wait.

As the minutes stretch on, I see tears falling from Gary's eyes.

Somehow, Zlatan knows the moment is right. That our patience has paid off.

"Can we hug it out, Mister Gary? Can you forgive the Zlatan and your Nico, just for wanting to sign some players. Kids. Just a few kids. Think of the children...they're...they're our future, Mister Gary."

Gary rises to embrace Zlatan, nodding.

"You're still beautiful to me, 'cause you're my Zlatan. You score the goals no one else could see coming... You saved all those orphan children from drowning... You are the immaculate conception made flesh, immune from the effects of cocaine, with the coy, smug sexuality of a young Zach Braff..."

As beautiful a sentiment as that is, and as many questions as Gary's comments leave me with, I sense a strong potential for misunderstanding. Miscommunication. We need some certainty here.

"You'll talk to your partners, right, Gary? Get them on board with this new direction. Still focused on youth, just a few U19s you know...just enough to wet my beak."

Gary and Zlatan are locked in a full embrace, both in tears. But Gary nods.

"Leave it to your Gar-bear, lads. Just...leave it to me. I'll make them see sense. Giggsy was always a bit of a ****, anyways."

I can finally relax. That's that, sorted. A welcome Christmas present.

png-page-divider-letterpress-dividers-52

Confession time, folks. Youth only was rapidly killing my mojo and love for the save.

These saves thrive on being able to move between clubs, build something and move on. Disrupt the major, established clubs. Which, in turns, gives rise to newly-eligible clubs. (In the 2017 version, the Belgian league eventually became a dominant force with the likes of Zulte, Oostende and Antwerp becoming eligible.)

As I sat here this afternoon, I had no motivation. No desire to play, whatsoever. No interest in a youth-only approach.

I felt an overwhelming urge to bin the whole thing. Kill it with fire. Salt the Earth.

Continuing down this path would put the entire save in jeopardy.

We aren't going to do that.

So, I've simply hit the metaphorical reset button on the narrative in my head. Youth academy only is off the table. We'll sign players going forward, but it will continue in the same vein as always -- heavily focused on youth.

giphy.gif

It's not you, Taylor, it's me. I never meant to hurt you. Can... Can we still be friends?

What's the matter?

He says he wants to sit up in front with the driver!

I always get sick in the back.

Listen, if I go in the back, I'll get me migraine, I'll be out like a light.

You are not going to be sick. You are not going to have your migraine. And everybody is gonna sit in the back of the motor!

Charlie, me in the back of the motor with my asthma?

(just do as the boss tells you!)

January 2045.

Once the shackles were removed, we decided to dive right into the transfer market. 6 signings are confirmed, 2 of which will arrive in the summer.

Carlo "The Jackal" Ruppert is a $375k signing from Luxembourg giants, Jeunesse Esch. He's a full international, with a number of continental appearances under his belt on the club side of the shop. He will immediately take over as our starting libero, pushing Hegedus to a centerback spot.

Pacome "Bono" Bayo will arrive in the summer on a free from the Ivoire Academie, and will compete with Nunzio Bonato for the starting regista role, as Andreas Pedersen is on his way out the door (31 years old, on 88k/week with his contract expiring in 6 months...time to move him on).

Joseph "Il Padrino" Abdullahi will arrive in the summer for $2.1M. He will feature as a roaming playmaker, competing with Donnari (with Costagliola leaving on loan or a transfer). I've got high hopes for this one.

Alan "Tiki" Bytyqi arrives for $3.8M from KF Tirana. He'll fight for the shadow striker role with Bianchetti and Ferrieri.

Zdravko "The Edge" Domjan joins the side as a mezzala, and will compete with fellow Croatian midfielder Renato Eremija for a spot in the starting XI. Signed for $7M from Slaven Belupo, he could be a contributing member of the side for years to come.

Finally, our biggest acquisition -- Tomas "Two Times" Langer, who is essentially a Czech Nemanja Vidic...with the touch of Rio Ferdinand. It cost us a solid $8.5M, but I don't regret it. He's an instant upgrade at centerback and will step into the 1st XI alongside Ruppert and Hegedus.

giphy.gif

Taylor. We've been over this. Several times. The transfer market is not open in December. You're embarrassing yourself.

March 2045.

While qualifying for South Korea 2046 should not be an issue for this Belgian side, it nevertheless is nice to get two wins under our belts. Estonia put up a fight, but our 2nd XI finally managed to break them down in a 3-win. A return to Athens was much smoother, as the 1st XI smashed our hosts, 3-nil. Well on our way, on a 30-match unbeaten streak.

Scholes was in Athens to meet with us after the match, discuss summer transfer plans. Things have been frosty with Scholes, as he dislikes our interpretation of a youth-only approach. Many bitter words have been spoken in anger between he and Zlatan, in particular. So this was a positive meeting, ending on a good note. Until Zlatan tried to engage Paul in a hug, and was rebuffed.

"I've done told you, Zlatan. No hugs. Never trust a man who wants to give you a hug. Hugs hide faces, if you think about it. Anything can hide behind a hug."

"Mister Scholes, the Zlatan assures you. The only thing Paul Scholes has to fear when hugging the Zlatan is the sensation of the Zlatan's giant, throbbing erec--"

Jesse interjects, seeing that this is going to go downhill fast, distracting Paul with a heartfelt fist bump and magnum of Chianti.

Zlatan glances over at me, looking like someone has just kicked his favorite puppy. "What can the Zlatan say, Boss?! The Zlatan loves gingers." I just shrug. I have no words.

Crisis averted. Not that the ownership group should have any complaints.

2045 has been kind to La Viola thus far, although the year started with consecutive losses to Juven****, Lazio and Milan.

A kick in the gut. But we can be proud, as we were in all 3 matches. We've since righted the ship, and find ourselves in the mix for a spot in Europe next year. 8 matches to play after a big win over Inter, which gives some breathing room as they and Napoli look to make up ground.

5fa172675ff9a3c487f79e151d834444.png

140aa22f46b0784a6e74b480601989a4.png

6 hours ago, rodesire said:

Uuuuh, that's an interesting way of doing youth only

All explained a few posts above that one: here.  Trust me, you didn't want to see the ultimate manifestation of Scholes' youth only policy.

ezgif-3-e272dba30b61.gif.ba8d09a57abd6e70dc5442fd0798bd9d.gif

Forward With The Goat

PicsArt_03-19-09.03.27.jpg?resize=930,620&ssl=1

Fiorentina / Belgium - Season Review 2044/45

An eventual start to life in Serie A. We have exceeded the ownership group's expecations, although Giggsy has suggested that their timeline has been accelerated in light of our requested changes to the club's transfer policy.

Becks has taken the new approach in stride, going all-in on the glamour, personally commissioning a set of new kits for the 2045/46 campaign. We've been given a clear mandate, though. They want a return on their investment sooner rather than later.

"Like that Luke... Luke... not Shaw... That Skywalker lad, played for Plymouth, I think... You remember him, yeah?! Just like Luke said, 'to whom much is given, much will be required.' You just keep that in mind. These Shia LeBeouf-designed football kits don't come cheap. This Conference League piddle won't do next year. So, don't give us no Barney Rubble."

As serious as the look is on Becks' face, it's hard to take him seriously with that voice. Didn't do much for his thinly-veiled hint of violent retribution if we were to fail to improve on our 7th-place finish, which qualifies us for the Europa Conference League.

Zlatan, true to form, didn't miss the chance to put all those hours on Duolingo practicing his rhyming slang to good use. Ironically, of course.

"The Zlatan is all beers, Mister David. The bunny brought me the honey, and me todge is bleeding 'uge just thinkin' abaht it. Give the bloody Plates and Dishes some slaps on the chuffin' Khyber pass for me, yeah?"

Becks looks momentarily befuddled, before adopting a serene look, nodding slowly as if Zlatan has spoken some secret truth.

Fist bumps all around. We go again, lads.

separator

Solid progress in the first year. The Board expected a mid-table finish and we delivered a European Conference League place.

The frustration being that we were sitting 5th when we kicked off on Matchday 38, away to Julian Nagelsmann's Juventus. 90 minutes later, we were 7th. Meaning that we fell into the Conference League. Frustrating, but I really don't mind. I love the Conference League. This will also give us a year to continue developing youth and building up the squad for an assault on the Champions League. Our coefficient isn't too awful (34.00 in 2044/45, 56th in Europe, with no drop-off for 2045/46), so we should have a relatively straightforward path to the knockout rounds.

There may be some disappointment out there at my decision to move away from a pure youth-only approach. In my head, going pure youth-only felt like the "right" thing to do, but in practice it was at odds with what I love about this save and what keeps it going week after week, month after month. Perhaps my next save needs to be pure youth-only, but incorporating it here was going to bring this save to a premature, bitter end.

Goals for 2045/46:  Make a run in the Europa Conference League. Qualify for the 2046/47 Champions League. Qualify for South Korea 2046.

Squad | League Overview | Transfers

Finances | Income | Expenditure

Fixtures 1 | Fixtures 2

European Review

In the Champions League, Baptiste Santamaria's Aston Villa beat Gabriel Jesus's Milan, 2-nil.

bd06d26787cc55c841fe0b58a4fb632d.png

Champions League: Overview | Knockout Rounds

In the Europa League, Marco Rose's West Ham beat Bruno Lage's Atalanta, 2-nil (aet), denying the Italians a second straight title.

c0b4b137577a07a7fcc884479ac1aba7.png

Europa League: Overview | Knockout Rounds

In the Europa Conference League, Pavel Kaderabek's Sampdoria beat Miguel Baeza's tycoon-fueled OH Leuven, 2-1.

84f8465a438abf889faa3ff473689073.png

Europa Conf. League: Overview | Knockout Rounds

In the active leagues, Baptiste Santamaria's Aston Villa won their 7th straight Premier League title. Frank Lampard's Schalke won their 3rd title in 4 years, after a tight finish in the Bundesliga. Paolo Fonseca's Sevilla won their 8th straight La Liga title. Samul Yepie-Yepie's Lyon won their 2nd straight Ligue 1 title, their 8th in 10 years. Miguel Baeza's OH Leuven won the first Belgian title in club history. Baba Toure's Panathinaikos won their 21st straight SuperLeague title. Marko Arnautovic's Partizan won their 13th straight title. Finally, Amel Mujanic's Hammarby won the 2044 Allsvenskan title.

separator

Save/Challenge Overview

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is 904568e25eb0457ac6bc93d608b0d9d9.png

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is 188bb1d1d13888e29766a7343ec1bddb.png

png-page-divider-letterpress-dividers-527.png

Cross-posted at From the Cheap Seats.

June 2045.

Before we can push on to the 2045/46 campaign proper, we've got the Nations League to contend with. We take our unbeaten streak to 32 matches (dating back to a November 2042 loss to England), with wins over France (2-1) and Spain (1-nil), to bring home another Nations League title.

During my three years at the helm, the Belgians have won 34 of 38 matches, losing 2, drawing 2. 115 goals for, 23 against. 2 Nations League titles and the Euro 2044 title. Number 1 in the FIFA rankings.

If we aren't ready for the World Cup, I don't know that we ever will be.

July 2045.

Before we dive into some transfer updates, a random aside. When Paulo Fonseca retired, I noticed that Sevilla are playing in the Hu Tao Arena, named after their tycoon Chairman. I love this stuff.

Three additional transfers are confirmed, before the window opens up in a few days' time.

Icelandic U21 keeper Gudmundur Magnusson has arrived for $5.25M from Breidablik to compete with Drameh Jarju and Massimiliano Marangon. Magnusson will likely play with our 2nd XI, while Marangon goes out on loan to ensure he gets enough minutes. I've had good luck with Icelandic keepers earlier in this save and in prior saves, and it looks like he could be a beast.

Tunisian/French wonderkid Oussama Ben Belgacem is a $825k signing from Bordeaux, to take up the right wingback position in our 2nd XI.

Finally, Algerian wonderkid Ryad Mihoubi will join us in August from MC Alger ($200k), to play as the left wingback in our 2nd XI.

Barring an unexpected departure, this should be the end of our incoming transfer business.

July 2045.

Ugh. I just realized that, by winning the 2044/45 Europa Conference League, Sampdoria claimed Italy's 7th spot in Europe for 2045/46, and are seeded into the Europa League.

So, we won't have European football after all. F*** my life.

There's only one lesson that we can learn from this.

ezgif-7-0a14976c0bb7.gif

August 2045.

Another signing, as Bianchetti threw his toys out of the pram at being unable to move to Cremonese.

Cremonese, for urCristiano's sake.

Be careful what you wish for, Giuseppe.

Bianchetti was shipped out as soon as possible -- $7M (plus clauses), to his beloved Cremonese.

To replace him, we brought in Davide Borrello from Milan on loan, with a $9M option to purchase. I intend to use it. He'll be the shadow striker in our 1st XI.

That U-turn on European adventure, yike. Luckily, should give you a clear path to UCL spot if team gels.

As an aside, tycoon fueled Belgians sound like a delicious twist of fate bound to happen.

33 minutes ago, rodesire said:

That U-turn on European adventure, yike. Luckily, should give you a clear path to UCL spot if team gels.

As an aside, tycoon fueled Belgians sound like a delicious twist of fate bound to happen.

Couldn't agree more, on both counts!

11p1apCPqM7WEw.gif.1bfa5b2fc49104cb963842ac84b49c77.gif

2 hours ago, rodesire said:

Tycoon Fueled Belgians is also a great name for a struggling hipster indie band that has one member whose sole job is to dance.

giphy.gif

November 2045.

About as good a start to the campaign as we could have asked for. Undefeated through mid-November, sitting 6 points behind Julian Nagelsmann's Juventus. There's no question that I'd rather be in Europe...but in the end this will work out fine if we can secure a Champions League spot this year.

ad2c9785b2e7fb4f81b6811b38e2a7c3.png

0a4edd51ba6d3228138436be50e785ed.png

The Belgians qualify for the World Cup in style: 8 wins from 8; 19 goals for, none against. Our run of matches this fall was relatively underwhelming, though -- September saw back-to-back 1-nil wins over Finland and Austria; October, a 1-nil win over Estonia before we secured qualification by stomping the Greeks, 6-nil; November, another 1-nil win over Finland, before wrapping up with a 3-nil win over Austria.

The only team that truly attempted to play us was the Greeks...which I guess proves why everyone else just sat deep and crossed their fingers. We had multiple goals called back for offsides in the matches against Finland, Estonia and Austria. We also used our 2nd XI in multiple matches.

In the end, the only thing that matters is that we qualified and were absolutely dominant throughout the process. Sure, we could have been more ruthless at times, but we're through.

December 2045.

A brilliant end to a strong year. A chance to take on ****doria, to avenge our abrupt exit from the Europa Conference League, without having kicked a single ball.

The lads did themselves proud. A 3-nil win. We finish the calendar year sitting 4th, 5 points clear of the Roma side that we beat last week.

We have no distractions. No excuses. We have 4 and a half months, to take care of business and secure a spot in Europe next year.

b34dad18169569f3fa81d8aed473c88c.png

8261f517226bc6da67462192767f5560.png

Just now, Mandy42 said:

I wouldn't want to go anywhere near his "arena" either.

It's likely to be all sticky with patches of missed or simply unwashed oil all over the place 

Vats of olive oil at the end of each row.  For SCIENCE.

March 2046.

9 matches to play, we sit 4th. 6 points clear of Roma (who we are away to on Matchday 36). 13 points clear of Inter and Lazio. With only 2 losses, our goal difference speaks volumes, statistically...but we will need to find another gear to challenge for the Serie A title.

db1b6e38ba2f1c53d785a317347faa60.png

03d99dec48b14d07c50abd9a4bcee71e.png

We need to finish strong. Another year without Europe would be brutal.

The Belgians are ready for the World Cup, having curb-stomped the United States, 3-nil, in our March friendly.

Forward With The Goat

PicsArt_03-19-09.03.27.jpg?resize=930,620&ssl=1

Fiorentina / Belgium - Season Review 2045/46

The sudden disappointment at Sampdoria's usurpation last year has been replaced with elation.

In the absence of a 2nd front to battle on, all of our focus could remain on the league.

And we finished 4th. Glorious 4th.

No Europa League for us. The Europa Conference League can ***** ** ******* **** ****** **** Roberto Mancini's *** ****** ** ***. [We, the editors, apologize for this extreme profanity. Not to mention the gross, vile slander of Roberto Mancini and his good name. We hope that his cat is well, in this dark hour.]

It's time to battle up for La Viola, lads. The Champions League is back on the menu.

separator

Some have asked if I'm kidding, suggesting that I'll eventually forgive Sampdoria when the time comes to manage them again.

I'm not so sure about that. I'm not in a forgiving mood...

But that's enough about that. The World Cup is up next. South Korea 2046, where the Belgians are heavy favorites, sitting on a 39-match unbeaten run, before their final warm-up matches.

The sad thing is that the World Cup may need to wait a few days, though, as I take on an FM-related side project that will be detailed in due course.

Goals for 2046/47:  Not embarrass ourselves in the Champions League. Qualify for the 2047/48 Champions League.

Squad | League Overview | Transfers

Finances | Income | Expenditure

Fixtures 1 | Fixtures 2

European Review

In the Champions League, Marco Rose's West Ham followed up last year's Europa League title with Ol' Big Ears, beating Ognjen Vranjes' Gladbach, 1-nil.

ab94a244d187d78b55773fc6ebb5026a.png

Champions League: Overview | Knockout Rounds

In the Europa League, Bruno Lage's Atalanta avenged their loss in last year's final to West Ham, defeating Srdjan Plavsic's Lazio, 1-nil, after it was an all-Italian affair in the semifinals.

b3198af330a60b4845f68dd8dfd6f5d5.png

Europa League: Overview | Knockout Rounds

In the Europa Conference League, Quim Ramon's Barcelona beat Konyaspor, 1-nil.

457dc68640725788718311da575cd875.png

Europa Conf. League: Overview | Knockout Rounds

In the active leagues, Frank Lampard's Wolves claimed the Premier League title. Ognjen Vranjes' Gladbach reclaimed the title from Miguel Beaza's Schalke, who fell to a distant third behind Vranjes' men and Cristiano Ronaldo's Stuttgart. Thomas Tuchel's Sevilla won their 9th straight La Liga title, after the retirement of Paulo Fonseca. Thierry Henry's Monaco secured the Ligue 1 title with a 3-1 win over Matthias Kaltenbach's Stade de Reims on Matchday 38...brutal. Marcelo Gallardo's OH Leuven won their second Belgian title in club history on the heels of last year's triumph. Baba Toure's Panathinaikos won their 22nd straight SuperLeague title, but it was a narrow win -- a mere 3 points clear of Arturo Vidal's Aris. Marko Arnautovic's Partizan won their 14th straight title. Finally, Kim Hellberg's AIK won the 2045 Allsvenskan title.

separator

Save/Challenge Overview

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is 2923c83291e1341a45d57a18238b2cba.png

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is 188bb1d1d13888e29766a7343ec1bddb.png

png-page-divider-letterpress-dividers-527.png

Cross-posted at From the Cheap Seats.

South Korea 2046; Group Stage Review.

In our first match, Morocco did the only reasonable thing and fielded a defensive, strikerless 4231 in hopes that a massed defense would stop our 2nd XI from running wild. It didn't work, as we barely broke a sweat. Olive seemed determined to prove I'd made a mistake by dropping him to the 2nd XI, scoring twice and smashing the post in the 2nd half.

281f9eb0785a2e2cfeebf6cfd31e72ac.jpg

A solid start. But, more importantly, it was 90 minutes that our 1st XI did not have to play. We'll have a week off after the match against Uruguay, meaning that approximately 2 weeks into the tournament, and our 1st XI will have only played 90 minutes. In the past, this kind of rotation has paid dividends...we'll have to see if it does this year, as well.

Uruguay set up in a defensive 442 with 2 defensive midfielders, again looking to sit deep and prevent us from playing our game. And for 90 minutes, they held firm while we controlled the run of play (even if a defensive lapse nearly gifted Uruguay an early goal). It took a brilliant finish from Arthur Bruyere in the 90th minute to break the deadlock.

20f42da4caf41140f517cec0975bd50e.jpg

Maybe not the prettiest result, but a result nevertheless. We'll face Traianos Dellas' Greece in the Second Round.

38981ed95991ef4c4c05295ba282cbfb.pngfb6b0b9440f270025f0960528fecd47e.png624f0d59863c56f39ce4d4e5d7b4a335.png44ccd6f91bbdeb5c4e20dec51f7a95d4.png

9bd190220e43b1817b5c0b0c3934b462.png

The biggest shock of the Group Stage? No, not Nigeria crashing out after losing 1-nil to New Zealand, although that was a shock to me.

Gennaro Gattuso's Ivory Coast were eliminated, after losing to El Salvador (2-1) and Serbia (3-2).

c8056a1db0e1024d69a42997d4824907.gif

South Korea 2046; Second Round.

Greece were overmatched. An early goal set us on the path, but our 1st XI didn't put them away. A Baglieri error just before the half allowed the Greeks a way back into the match, as they became the first team to score on us in more than a year's time.

We bent, but we did not break. In pushing to find our 2nd, Baglieri got around the flank only to be cruelly hacked down. A straight red. From there, it was simply a matter of time.

We're through to face South Africa in the Third Round. Elsewhere, both Brazil and Argentina were eliminated by South American opponents on penalties (by Colombia and Uruguay, respectively).

bd21cce0a0246226a4196b8c562698d0.jpg

c9aee0b1b2ab1fe4255824f2a6546010.png

South Korea 2046; Third Round.

In expectation of a straightforward 90 minutes, we take a risk. We rotate all 10 field players, to ensure that our 1st XI is fresh for the quarterfinals. Our 2nd XI should be able to handle South Africa...

Our faith and depth are rewarded, when Arthur Bruyere beats a man and feeds Mamadu Fati, who buries it in the 6th minute. We control the match at all times, and advance to face ze Germans in the quarterfinals. A rematch of the Euro 2044 final, which we won 3-2. My hope is that our 1st XI will be well-rested (or, at least, more well-rested than Germany's 1st-choice XI).

166dd24366f8aa73ddcdbd88d388aa43.jpg

852df43eb7881a5ff95b2278fb8a1484.png

South Korea 2046; Quarterfinals.

A nervy match. I loved what seemed to be an edge regarding player fitness.

For 90 minutes, Germany controlled possession but had nothing to show for it, whatsoever. And in the 91st, a lightning-fast counterattack saw Rigamonti find Davy "Danger" Maes on a cutback. 1-nil. It's all we needed. We're through to the semifinals.

Germany clearly had not rotated their side, as the post-match screenshot shows. Our slight fitness edge paid off late.

We will face Portugal, who beat the Dutch on penalties. The Dutch not only played 30 additional minutes of football, we have an extra day of rest.

9ebae2da09a9ecf01a05b99e7212b700.jpg

7f32a5a048bc865c844c56835b0bb691.png

South Korea 2046; Semifinals.

Against the Portuguese, we're able to play our 1st XI for the most part - Ervin Nevistic is on for Pierre Simon, with Hans De Boeck on for Federico Rigamonti.

Portugal sit deep from the first whistle, enjoying possession for no purpose whatsoever throughout the first half. Whenever we have the ball, however, we look dangerous.

Things got a bit dicey at the start of the 2nd half, when Portugal had a clear chance -- a big save from Bertini is the reason we didn't fall behind. Moments later, the Portuguese rattled the bar from outside the 18. We cleared, however, and regained our composure.

With 20 minutes to play, it was time to ring the changes. De Coene on for a tiring Lambrecht. Fati on for Raynaud, with Maes shifting into the roaming playmaker role. Bruyere, on for Baglieri.

Neither side can break through. We go to extra time. Tired legs, everywhere. Rigamonti comes on for Maes. Bruyere hits the post in the 101st minute, the keeper well-beaten.

We create the lion's share of the chances, but a deep-lying Portugal manage to keep us at bay. The lottery of penalties will decide who advances.

Bertini saves the first, but Rigamonti cannot give us the advantage, the Portuguese keeper saving well.

Martins fires the second Portuguese penalty a mile wide...a chance, if we can seize it. De Boeck smashes it home. 1-nil.

Gomes and Fati both score in the third round of penalties. 2-1.

Portugal smash their fourth penalty home, but Nevistic hits his well-wide. 2-2, going into the fifth round.

Godwin hits Portugal's fifth. The pressure is on young Bruyere's shoulders...he buries it. 3-3. Into sudden death.

The Portuguese bury their 6th. Janssen, composed, buries his. 4-4.

Portugal have ice in their veins. Burying their 7th. Bertini can't get close. De Coene's poor penalty somehow sneaks in. 5-5.

Salgado makes it 6-5. Ice. Turco steps forward...and his poor penalty also sneaks in. 6-6. But Portugal are the side burying their penalties, while ours are weak. 6-6. Something has to give.

Centerback Gomes to take Portugal's 9th...but Bertini denies him. Massive. Guy Vervoort, who served under Bur at Stade de Reims, to take it...he hits the post.

Almeida buries Portugal's 10th. Emphatic. Bekaert steps forward...so much pressure on his shoulders. Denied. His poor effort, saved by Aston Villa's Edson Pereira.

Portugal advance. The dream is over.

42525ac5f5c434ea857e1d55d9efd0cc.jpg
Edited by ManUtd1

South Korea 2046; Third Place Match & Tournament Review.

We faced Croatia in the third place match. We didn't play well. We won. Who cares.

07e15fd17b7b972dc553849ea574c884.jpg

Of course, the Belgian FA are mad. My job listed as insecure, even though our undefeated streak has stretched to 48 matches, more than 3 years (dating back to March 2043). We've given up 1 goal in our 17 matches. My job is insecure, because we lost to an ultra-defensive Portugal on penalties?! Give me a break. (I'm this close to resigning on principle, but am walking away from the laptop.)

In the final, Ferro's Portugal beat Etienne Capoue's England on penalties, their 3rd straight win on penalties in the knockout rounds:

51aa96fb817f5734256fe0a6a4105434.png

69563661f456bcf1dfed19179a11718e.png

9f4176de4a0701be2b515600055b0488.png

On 28/03/2020 at 02:08, rodesire said:

That's a tough break, mate

So frustrating, but that is can deal with. The Belgian FA's reaction was just silly!

On 28/03/2020 at 04:04, SRL88 said:

Good run in the World Cup. Unfortunate exit from the competition.

Very much so, but we'll press on, in due course. We're going to go a different direction in the short term...

Folks, I need to put the Nearly Men on hiatus for a little while. There's too much going on IRL to do the narrative justice. I need something I can simply play and update right now.

Never fear, a new save is imminent.

The Fourth Glass will launch in the next few hours. And we'll come back to Nicolaj in due course.

Just now, ManUtd1 said:

Folks, I need to put the Nearly Men on hiatus for a little while. There's too much going on IRL to do the narrative justice. I need something I can simply play and update right now.

Never fear, a new save is imminent.

The Fourth Glass will launch in the next few hours. And we'll come back to Nicolaj in due course.

completely understandable, you can't let the things you love and take pleasure from be used and dried by the pressures of life, my own fight against mental health taught me that (well my countless therapists tried to teach me that) but yeah.

It will still be here when you feel you can give it justice.

And we will all be here to follow along once again! 

On 29/03/2020 at 09:29, Mandy42 said:

completely understandable, you can't let the things you love and take pleasure from be used and dried by the pressures of life, my own fight against mental health taught me that (well my countless therapists tried to teach me that) but yeah.

It will still be here when you feel you can give it justice.

And we will all be here to follow along once again! 

21 minutes ago, Bitner said:

Sad exit from the WC :(

And be back when you're good to do so <3

Cheers,
Bitner 

Thanks, fellas -- I'm enjoying the pace of things in Georgia right now, but we'll return in due course!