Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kick Wilstra

Choosing your HOYD, what is the influence of preferred style and formation?

So I have shortlisted 2 HOYD to replace my current one once his contract expires next month. One has Park The Bus as tactical style, and 4-2-3-1 DM-AM Wide as favorite formation with a direct play-style. The other one has Tiki-Taka, 4-3-1-2, standard. I'm playing with either 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-3 DM, and try to play a positive short passing game with high pressing. In terms of style I guess Control Possesion, Tiki-Taka, Vertical Tiki-Taka and Gegenpressung are all fine. Park the bus is however the opposite of what I want. However, the one with a preferred tactical style that fits my philosophy has a preferred  formation without wingers and two strikers. I'm a bit worried that if I choose that one I will get a shortage of winger and a abundance of strikers through my academy. Is that justified, or won't that really matter? Will have tactical style an influence of the type of players I get? Does a Park The Bus guy is more like to produce Anchor Man and BWM as DM, while vertical tiki-taka guy is more like to get produce a regista for example?

I don’t know about preferred tactic or style but personality makes a difference. I look at attributes and personality. If i have a model citizen that means i’m never replacing him.

A HOYD is more likely to bring in players that will fit his tactical preferences. So if played a 442 and your HOYD preferred a Diamond, you're less likely (not unlikely) to get many wingers.

I'm aware personality matters. I highly suspected preferred formation matters. What I'm really curious about though, is whether tactical and passing style matters. Will 2 HOYD's. both with the exact same attributes and preferred formations, but one with Route One and direct passing style preference and the other with Tiki-Taka and a short passing style preference bring in different type of players, for example physical vs technical like fast wingers vs technical inside forwards and strong NCB's vs more technically well rounded BPD's? That something I'm curious about. Would it be worth it take a slightly less talented one attribute wise because he has tactical preference similar to your own? I know I gladly pay a few attribute points for a better personality, but I'm wonder if I should do the same with tactical preferences (other than formation because I already do that). Will I get players that better fit my tactic, or just less talented players when I do that?

This might be interesting for you.

On 14/11/2019 at 17:32, Seb Wassell said:

Head of Youth Development (HoYD)
The club’s HoYD is responsible for bringing Newgens into the club. He will influence what “type” of players are selected and can partially or fully pass on his personality to some of these Newgens. The “type” of players selected refers to a player’s position and style, for instance a HoYD with a preferred 4-5-1 formation and a Technical Coaching Style may produce more technically styled midfielders than another HoYD.
The HoYD will also influence the rare “freak” or exceptional Newgens that come through, modifying their ability and style.
This role is filled by the HoYD by default, however if none is employed whichever staff member is set to be responsible for youth development will fill this role.

Here is the whole thread.

I was surprised that the stats of the HOYD don't seem to matter as much as I previously thought.

15 minutes ago, BeerBaron said:

I was surprised that the stats of the HOYD don't seem to matter as much as I previously thought.

They matter, but it depends what you want him to do. Only bring through youngsters, train players, scout players, etc.

23 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

They matter, but it depends what you want him to do. Only bring through youngsters, train players, scout players, etc.

If you want him to only be the guy who brings players to your attention for youth intake all attributes are mute? All about personality formation and style? 

On 15/11/2019 at 22:15, BeerBaron said:

This might be interesting for you.
I was surprised that the stats of the HOYD don't seem to matter as much as I previously thought

Yes it was, thank you. That is pretty much what I was wondering. So it is indeed worth it to get a less capable HOYD attribute wise to get a better fit with the tactical style you want to play.

So the JCA, JPA and WWY, the highlighted parts if you select the HOYD staff role, don't have anything to do with the quality of youngsters you get. That's interesting indeed.

23 hours ago, wearesporting said:

If you want him to only be the guy who brings players to your attention for youth intake all attributes are mute? All about personality formation and style? 

10 hours ago, Kick Wilstra said:

Yes it was, thank you. That is pretty much what I was wondering. So it is indeed worth it to get a less capable HOYD attribute wise to get a better fit with the tactical style you want to play.

So the JCA, JPA and WWY, the highlighted parts if you select the HOYD staff role, don't have anything to do with the quality of youngsters you get. That's interesting indeed.

They matter for influencing those freak or exceptional players mentioned.

4 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

They matter for influencing those freak or exceptional players mentioned.

How often do these freak or exceptional player come by on average? Once every 3 seasons, once every 10 seasons?