Sports Interactive Community
Oxley_Oxley11111

FM20: Life with Chelsea after the ban.

End of first season:

My form in the league fell off alot, I came third 5 points behind Liverpool who lost once from November onwards. A couple of really poor peformances such as away defeats at Sheffield United (as an Owl I was devastated), Bournemouth and Wolves unravel my league form. Ironically, Arsenal were top most of the year but like me lost a bit of form/momentum in the league as they won the Europa League.

image.thumb.png.d843ef2d80d1ed8cef63ceb61c193387.png

From March onwards, I prioritised the champions league. One player who surprised me was Loftus Cheek, his lethal form in the final few months of the season as a Mezzela (A) led to me selling off Barkley (more of that later). RLC just seems to be the perfect player in my eyes as never complains even though he's not a first choice :).

image.png.f2d5f389bc2bd2498c59c1c407ae19e1.png

In the other cups, I thrashed Man City 3-0 in the league cup final, lost in the quarter final of the FA cup against a terrible West Ham side who despite getting relegated got to the final (and lost). I think this was around the time I realised I was desperate for a new centre forward, Abraham is good but not great. On average, he'd get 3-4 changes a game and in 50 competitive games he only got 17 goals. Whether the way I play doesn't suit him but I can't risk him effectively being my only striker for another season.

The undoubted highlight of the season was winning the Champions League, in the knockout rounds, I beat (in order) Benfica, Real Madrid, Man City and then Bayern Munich in the final. The final was... awful. I don't think either team had amazing chances, neither GK made breathtaking saves and in the end, my subs were made to bring on penalty takers. In the end, Pedro who I released after the game scored a scruffy goal to win my second bit of silverware.

image.thumb.png.a5f9948485fa01afc242b3ea1ef4046d.png

In the first season, like most in this thread, I kept the January transfers quiet but Chelsea desparately need a new LB and Alex Telles showed his class with 7 assists in 10 Premier League games with an average rating of 7.45. I overspent but my god the comparison between him and Alonso is crazy. In the first season, I was most impressed by Jorginho, Mount, Tomori and James who despite not being rated highly (2.5 stars) is electric on the right. Rudiger, Azpiliceuta and Kante are model professionals and will be a big part of next season. I don't rate Batshuayi and I think there is a huge improvements to be made in the RW/LW areas where ironically departing Pedro was my best rated player at 6.96. I renewed Willians contract but now I wish I hadn't, his stats don't translate so well onto the pitch.

In the second season the transfers are ridiculous, the budget is £190 million+ but you could start with zero and sign whoever you want. The sheer number of loan players returning leads to a firesale, I have to say this was so much FUN! Players like Bakayako, Pasalic, Zappa, Rahman are never going to be good enough and I just didn't want to try and loan a full team/squad out.

image.thumb.png.952c92acba6fbefaa55a5c832ebd43ea.png

First team player wise, Batshuayi was unhappy and despite my efforts I couldn't get him playing like a £30 million pound striker so off he went to Guangzhou, probably undersold but he was rubbish. Due to Loftus Cheeks good form, i sold Barkley off, he wasn't bad but I needed cover at CDM and his strengths aren't suited to be rotated with Jorginho. Caballero went out on free, he wanted £90k/w to renew and after playing a generous 2 games all season I let him go.

For transfers in, the focus as you can see was in the attacking third, with Martinez, Thauvin, Everton and Ziyech all joining (If it were upto me I'd cancel Ziyech but nevermind). In January Inter would only accept the buy out for Martinez but in the close season they were happy with £29 million less. Everton was also considered in January but wanted £250k/w, in the summer he accepted £110k/w. Thauvin will offer some genuine competition with Pulisic and Everton can cover both wings. Tonali will be understudy to Jorginho for a season, but I had to rest Jorginho alot last year due to niggles so will get plenty of game time. Initially I was tempted to just use Jamal Blackman as reserve GK (rated 1.5 stars), but Kepa got injured for 5 months during Euro20 so I went for a past FM favourite Ruilli who looks to have fallen out of favour at Real Sociedad.

Otherwise in the transfer market, Zouma wants to leave but no-one will offer near to his (ridiculous) £55 million valuation. Ruben Dias will be his replacement if he does leave. Donnarumma was transfer listed the day after I bought Ruilli but with no interest in the injured Kepa I won't be purchasing. In the transfer budget, I still have £189 million left to spend. Crazy.

Nice work @jonathan44 particularly a CL win in the first season! Also see you got some great outgoing business done in selling off the deadwood, I wish someone would've paid me that much for Batman :seagull:

How's Ziyech been for you second season? He's been kind of hit or miss for me, poor decision making always seems to let him down.

I'll post my season 2 review later today, it was a hell of a year

5 hours ago, Bracken said:

Nice work @jonathan44 particularly a CL win in the first season! Also see you got some great outgoing business done in selling off the deadwood, I wish someone would've paid me that much for Batman :seagull:

How's Ziyech been for you second season? He's been kind of hit or miss for me, poor decision making always seems to let him down.

I'll post my season 2 review later today, it was a hell of a year

I held out along time with a bid of £15 million from Everton before finally Gangzhou offered me double for Batman. The second season champions league hunt hasn't gone very well, managed to lose 2 out of 3 games so far against Lyon and Galatasaray... Think I'll scrape out of the group because the others have drawn alot. In the league it's going alot better, won all 9 games so far, with the 9th this beaut against Burnley:

image.thumb.png.f3df0ac9f613bb5fc4f849ebb412052f.png

I've found Ziyech to be rather terrible, rating of 6.8 so far and I've warned him about him being crap :) Keeps shooting from miles away and as you said makes terrible decisions. Keep changing my RW/LW combos but the only player who plays well out wide is Hudson-Odoi. In comparison Alex Telles in 9 games currently has an average rating of 8.09 and is incredible.

Have you found the second season a challenge? If I win the league I'm not sure what's left to do :s.

20 hours ago, jonathan44 said:

Have you found the second season a challenge? If I win the league I'm not sure what's left to do :s.

Would love you to share your tactics mate

3 hours ago, Vornik said:

Would love you to share your tactics mate

image.thumb.png.3d2cccf05312c920956d0f21ef618b1a.png

This is roughly what I play, mentality and passing changes game to game and some of the players have individual instructions. With no-one playing in CAM, you need at least 1 CM with attacking mentality otherwise the buildup is too slow. I've tinkered alot with the RW position, the AP(s) appears to give the AF(A) or PF(A) (I switch between dependant on opponent) more space and chances than with a standard winger/inverted winger/IF. On the LW with the LB bombing forward I worked out early on that having the BBM on the left helps out alot (also helps that it's N'Golo Kante who is incredible). I'm not sure it's so much the tactics rather the insanely expensive and talented squad though.

6 minutes ago, jonathan44 said:

image.thumb.png.3d2cccf05312c920956d0f21ef618b1a.png

This is roughly what I play, mentality and passing changes game to game and some of the players have individual instructions. With no-one playing in CAM, you need at least 1 CM with attacking mentality otherwise the buildup is too slow. I've tinkered alot with the RW position, the AP(s) appears to give the AF(A) or PF(A) (I switch between dependant on opponent) more space and chances than with a standard winger/inverted winger/IF. On the LW with the LB bombing forward I worked out early on that having the BBM on the left helps out alot (also helps that it's N'Golo Kante who is incredible). I'm not sure it's so much the tactics rather the insanely expensive and talented squad though.

Thanks mate, i played Vertical Tiki-Taka, and in the first half of the season i was first. After few injuries, i started to lose and draw middle table teams. And from that part i'm struggling to achieve the same susses.

Will give the Gegenpress a try. 

A very belated review of my second season:

Premier League:

2120193765_Leaguetable.thumb.png.33973629b672524443cdf912fb77eca0.png

Well, we won it, but it was a lot tougher than the final table looks. After 12 games, United had only conceded 1 goal, and were scoring on average 4 a game. Thankfully, that one goal was against us, in a 1-0 win at the Bridge, which really paid off. But for the first half of the season we were slugging away, really not finishing teams off like we should, but grinding out the results. Suddenly, January hit, and everything changed. I didn't shift tactics or personnel (other than using Pulisic on the left a little more), but we just clicked and we were on. fire. Destroying teams by 4s, 5s, or 6s, and romping home in the League. Entertainingly, we ended the season having scored just 1 more goal than United and conceding one less, but while their barren period resulted in a whole bunch of losses, we managed to turn ours into wins or draws, and se needed up securing the title comfortably, while they fell to 3rd on the second to last weekend of the season.

FA Cup:

449287823_FACup.thumb.png.94e2512e7b2d4cb8eb536703defe0fad.png

We made it a double with he FA cup. Struggled with the early rounds, including a replay with Wolves, and two lots of extra time, but once we hit our the semis and I played a more serious side, we smashed it, crushing United in the semis (their goals were very undeserved), and then winning a fairly dull game against Liverpool in the final.

Champions League:

CL.thumb.png.a8d64b85c2d66b5365c9084ce4404637.png 

This was probably the best CL run I've had in any FM to make it the treble in just our second season. We didn't just win, we did it in style by beating most of the best teams in the world. The group stages saw us meat Bayern and Milan, not easy matches but we came through. Then came the knockout rounds where things went bananas. A 4-4 draw away at PSG followed by a dull 0-0 put us through on away goals, before we put on the performance of the season, winning 4-0 at home to Real, and frankly it could've been 7. We absolutely demolished them in the best performance of my tenure so far. The away leg was a formality and we played out a dull 1-0 loss. Then came Juve, and we went to Turin and showed them what for. 3-1 away, then 4-1 at home, complete domination. The final was a cagey and dull affair CHO put us ahead but we couldn't put them away, they equalised in the 80th minute and I thought extra time was on the way, before they committed a stupid foul on Mount in the box, and the man himself, Player of the Year Mount put it away, to give us an immense treble.

League cup:

Out before we really got going, a 2-0 loss away at Liverpool with a B-team. Meh. 

Transfers in:

440353523_Transfersin.thumb.png.7671200b24bbe912cd0e017b3bce19d6.png

Ziyech of course was pre-arranged, but other than that it was depth on the wings and some youngsters (there's a lot of regents I grabbed that I haven't included here). Bowen and Rice came in from relegated West Ham to cover as backup at AMR and DLP respectively, while Burkardt came in to be backup striker (a bad mistake and he'll be shipped out soon as I can make a profit). Zivkovic has done well for me before and wanted a pittance in wages, so he's backup on the kings, while Kenneh will be a useful DLP in the future but spent most of the season on loan. Also bought in Bobby McCrorie as a backup goalkeeper from Rangers. He's fine, but nothing more

Transfers out:

590875102_TransfersOut.thumb.png.0b2a8e5f381456a9b3cf284d312f4dbe.png

Biggest moves here are Barkley to Dortmund (no idea why they agreed to pay that much, but not complaining), Pasalic to Norwich (see Barkley), and Batshuayi to Burnley (should've paid more), then just a few backups and some loans turned permanent. Also lost Willian to PSG and Pedro to retirement (bad injury and he just didn't come back) at the end of season 1, and let Giroud go. But otherwise, no big changes. 

Player Performance:

Players.thumb.png.e5ce6db351ff4b1a97b2ade89888423a.png

We're very reliant on Mount and Abraham, but hey, there's worse people to be relying on! Mount was absolutely incredible from CM, playing as an AP (A) and he's just immense, carves teams apart on his own and scores all kinds of goals, long rangers, pens, free kicks, tap ins, the lot. Tammy was also fantastic, albeit he was patchy, he'd score hat tricks in 3 out of 4 games, then nothing for the next 4, but always contributed in some way. Pulisic had a much better season this year after playing a bit more at AML than AMR, while Ziyech started slow but really came on after a while.

Next season:

My aim in this save is essentially to turn Mount, Abraham, Tomori, and James (or, as many of em as I can) into the most decorated players in the history of British football. Alongside that I'll play around with the squad a bit, maybe go all homegrown, all British, or all English depending on how I feel, and trying to get the England job alongside this. Next season I'm hoping to retain the league and have a go at retaining the CL, all while letting go of a lot of players who are on huge wages and could be replaced by youth (Kovacic, Rudiger, Azpi sadly), while building up the youth teams to have a real conveyor belt of talent coming through. Going to keep trying to switch up things with the squad as often as I can to keep things interesting, without hopefully sacrificing too much in the way of staying competitive.

Speaking of competition, this is City's frontline for season three...

City.thumb.png.66f2314d226c6af492080a753d591878.png

They sacked Pep, so good luck keeping that bunch happy to their new boss, Carlo Ancelotti...

I still in the first Season. The date says. 31 december and it goes Really good. I got my first defeat in december, but it was to wolves.

I also got 3 draws. Liverpool, arsenal and tottenham. The rest og the games are ofc. Won.

Giroud is on fire. 20 games, 20 goals. But he is 33 and Barcelona and real Madrid looking at him, så i Think i Will leave.

Tammy will get his place and i Hope i can bring Martinez from inter. 

Willian's contract will not get renewed, so my plan is to get sancho.

I have 1,4 billion. 

Otherwise is to sell kovacic and bring pogba, Kai harvatz, Camavinga or Fernando Luis to the Club.

I've started a Chelsea save. So far unbeaten in my first 8 and second (although a point in my next game will send me top) and won the Super Cup. Players seem unable to convert most of their chances though, as I usually end up dominating games but not converting chances; Case in point being game at home to Napoli where the shots ratio was 20:4 (7:1 on target) but only won 1-0. 

Here's a SS of my tactics:

20200514232703_1.jpg

Just started as Chelsea today for a long term final FM save this year.

Not long into the season and this happens:

image.thumb.png.d9558a7db1ed7684a70a6145420b8d86.png

Look at how well he was playing before the injury aswell.