Teams you will never manage and why

Are there any teams in the game you will simply never manage? 

For me, there's three types of team I won't consider. 

I support Stirling and Sunderland in real life, so I could never take over at either Falkirk or Newcastle. However, given I've always been rubbish at the game, it may be fun to see them struggle :lol:

I'm also Scottish, so the England job will never have my name on it. Obviously. 

And finally, colours. Wait, come back..... there are some teams in the game with absolutely hideous colour combinations. Like green or blue on a red background. If I am offered a job at a club with eye gouging colours, I will move along and go somewhere else. 

Leeds, since I am a Huddersfield Town fan. Indeed I take great pleasure in beating them whoever I am playing as. 

Saint Etienne, because I lived in Lyon for 4 years and adopted them as my second side. Stupid Stéphanois! 

Other than that I think everyone is fair game. And I differ to you in that I like to search out teams with hideous colours! 

I'm an Arsenal fan, so Tottenham are strictly off-limits for me (as are Chelsea). That said, I don't have any issues with managing either Liverpool and Man Utd, having done so in the distant past.

I've also sworn to never manage either of the Old Firm again, partly because of a very short-lived (and very unhappy) save with Rangers on FM13.

When it comes to international football, I'm open to managing anyone, even that country north of the border. I actually managed Scotland at Euro 2000 in my first ever proper CM career, on CM99/00 (they were knocked out after two games, but I was 9 years old at the time, so cut me some slack :p).

The teams who has Arab money. I hate that on football. Buy an avarage team like you invest some money on economy and ruin all the things about sport. I believe that money only can earn from what you do in football. You win titles, cups and you earn that money. So as an answer i will say, PSG and Man City would be top on my list.

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

There are some teams in the game with absolutely hideous colour combinations. Like green or blue on a red background. If I am offered a job at a club with eye gouging colours, I will move along and go somewhere else. 

This. 

Also the top dogs don't appeal to me at all. I've never done the likes of Barcelona, PSG or Man City and I probably never will. 

Dirty moneybags teams that are helping to kill football - City, PSG, Chelsea

Clubs with loads of Nazi fans - I'll pick Roma over Lazio, Chievo over Hellas Verona

Clubs with dull or cumbersome names and colours, unless there's something else about them. UFK-58 or whatever with a generic blue and white kit, no thanks. Aldershot no, Yeovil yes.

Clubs who are expected to have immediate success

...and Sunderland

Edited by ceefax the cat

As a FC Porto fan, SL Benfica and Sporting Lisbon are completely out of question.

Besides those, and just for the simple reason of having no challenge at all, teams like Juventus, Bayern, PSG and probably Manchester City wouldn't be my picks. A team that has won the last seven leagues, where is the fun in winning the eight? For me it's just nowhere. Now if we're talking years into the future where the realities of those teams might change, then my thinking will be also different.

I have to say I have a problem managing Inter Milan because of the colors. I can barely read the text. Just that.

Edited by 99

The current best team in the league / the team that keeps winning the league:

Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester City, couple of years back Manchester United, PSG, etc.

For me it's a no-win situation. You can't do better or improve anything as they keep winning. Yes, you can maybe try to also win Champions League and so on but I prefer to try with the underdogs/those that haven't won or haven't won for a long time.

I never managed a big club since many FMs now.
Like Bayern, Real, ManCity & Co.
Even as a Liverpool-Fan, i didn`t do it, because it is too easy in my opinion.
There is nothing special for me to start with Topstars and massive hightalented players + a ton of money.

I like my moderate club like Hertha BSC or even a lower league Team. Especially in a foreign league like Poland, Turkey, Spain, Sweden or stuff.
Also there are some Teams i really don`t like in RL, like Fortuna Düsseldorf, 1. FC Köln, Chelsea.

PSG, City, MK Dons and Hashtag United (they were playable in that special FM19 demo so it counts) are top of my list of teams which i'd rather avoid.

Maybe clubs with an awful fanbase too. Lazio, Brescia, Hellas Verona, Ajaccio, Bastia...

As a Man Utd fan, I will never play as Liverpool, Man City or Arsenal.

With Gillingham being my local team, I would never play as Swindon or Millwall.

As a Dortmund fan (I ended up following them quite a lot in the late 2000's [after a save on an old FIFA and CM game] and have always been a fan since) I won't ever play as Schalke or Bayern Munich. 

Rangers fan but I have in fact managed Celtic once in FM14 I think it was, I like to try and build a fully Scottish squad and try to compete in Europe and they had a great group of Scots at the time. Didn’t last the season though it just felt wrong. 

I think the only place I would never EVER go would be to manage that lot south of the border. I would get no joy at all taking England to a title.

I could see myself manage every team. I mean, there are definitely clubs I don't really fancy irl, but FM is a game and I feel that perspective those sentiments don't really count that much. Same with specific players I don't really like irl, it's not that I would not buy them in FM if they would add something to my team. 

I like a project, so taking a club that's already a serious contender for major trophies, or has huge capital resources, doesn't really interest me. I might take Liverpool or a "fallen giant" in my journeyman, if I'd "earned it," but that would probably be the beginning of the end for that save. 

Generally, current EPL clubs are out. Even those in a relegation battle have far too many resources to be enjoyable for long. The other top flights are a bit more reasonable, so there are some interesting options, but still lean more toward building up a 2nd/3rd tier club. 

Most Top Clubs, unless it's a Journeyman save and the final goal is indeed to move up the ladder. But even then, I'll likely take a fallen giant in need of a boost over an established winning side. And if that happens, it usually spells the end of my save once I've won the Quintuple or something in the second season.

Also, not a fan of EPL as a whole, don't know why... Likely because most clubs there fit the "Rich Club" bill and/or I'm not particularly fond of.

Other clubs I avoid out of sporting rivalry and dislike include: Molde, Vålerenga, Brann, Lillestrøm, Inter, Napoli and Genoa.

And as others have said, particularly eye-straining colour combinations are a definite no-no, unless I can change them. Green-red, blue-red, black-red/dark blue are especially egergious depending on the shade.

Man City (PSG/Barcelona/Real Madrid just hate the idea of walking into a club where you don't need to do anything to win. (really boring) - Celtic ( I despise them) I will how ever sign there players even for Rangers ! (has happened in real life) etc. But i just couldn't play against Rangers with them. ive played with all other scottish clubs vs Rangers but couldn't imagine it with Celtic. may be a neat idea to do for a story in FM 20. 

Ex Rangers legend given the Celtic job etc. interesting. stay tuned 

Columbus crew or Montreal impact as my local team is Toronto FC 

IMG_4276.JPG

Liverpool

Plymouth Argyle

See bio to left...

Also... Milton Keynes Dons, hate the fact they exist, should never have been allowed.

Edited by Robioto
18 hours ago, Gross_Ballon said:

Ex Rangers legend given the Celtic job etc. interesting. stay tuned

Give it a go.  I quite like managing teams I can't stand in real life, I think it gives you some empathy to see how the other half lives.  I had a fun save recently with hearts as  a hibs fan, still can't stand them in real life though.

On 09/11/2019 at 21:50, ceefax the cat said:

Clubs with loads of Nazi fans

This might be the only thing that puts me off.  Lazio, Paulo Di Canio, Nazi scumbags. 

just for interest: my favorite team - Metalist Kharkiv, had a big rivalry with FC Dnipro. But after 2014 these two teams became struggling. Metalist disappeared from football map first, in 2016, and Dnipro fell in D3 and, later, Amateur league after triumph in Europe League (and, unfortunately, this year they became bancrupts).

And, tbh, it was very interesting to manage that club in Amateur level with all home-grown young players. So never say never :)

and three big clubs, I'll never manage - Ajax, St. Pauli and Rayo Vallecano.

There's no such team, I can't comprehend football tribalism while political supporters are, thankfully, not depicted in Football Manager, so at worst I can pretend that hiring me as a manager is a part of greater strategy that led the club to fight with hooliganism in their support.

On 10/11/2019 at 11:27, Deisler26 said:

No Fulham or Charlton?

Fulham I'm not so bothered about and Charlton would probably be on there if it wasn't for the fact that I was on some course when I was about 17/18 and a part of it involved Charlton and a fair few of the first team players came along so I have great respect for them in that regard.

On 10/11/2019 at 11:32, Cedrik said:

Same with specific players I don't really like irl, it's not that I would not buy them in FM if they would add something to my team. 

See, I refuse to sign Neymar. Don't like his attitude at all, plus I had him on one of my saves and I dropped him because of poor form and he just couldn't take it so I shipped him off.

1 hora atrás, nie jem frytek disse:

There's no such team, I can't comprehend football tribalism while political supporters are, thankfully, not depicted in Football Manager, so at worst I can pretend that hiring me as a manager is a part of greater strategy that led the club to fight with hooliganism in their support.

I think the rivalries are good. Not hooliganism ofcourse, nor any type of violence. But I wouldn't like to go to the stadium, playing against our biggest rivals, and the interaction between us and the opponent's supporters being like "I respectfuly hope you loose but the best team should win!!" and the others "no please, you should have the victory it's deserved!", "no, you", "oh no, you" and etc :)