Sports Interactive Community
anagain

[FM20] Bangor City - The New Italian Job

January 2023

January was a wonderful month for us that took a downturn right at the end. We look very cosy at the end of the first phase of this year's league. I even managed to strengthen us with a new signing between the sticks, and have a new face coming in in the summer by way of a very talented youngster. Plus, last but not least, the board have agreed to improve our youth facilities. In the Development league our lads are not really competing with the top teams. The board were reluctant at first but a little pressure meant they saw the benefit. The money we are making from the European Bangor Bus really should go somewhere. We'll never spend it all on players.

My next request will be that we turn professional. I'm not sure it will happen however, and I'll be upfront and say I'd seriously consider a step up in my career now. If we can win the league then I think I'll have done all I can at a semi-pro club.

Transfer Window

Transfers first then, and joining us in the summer is Llandudno youngster Nicky Wynne. I'd been looking closely at Nicky, and when I saw that Bala had offered a contract I jumped in and beat them to the punch. We have to signal our superiority. We have some work to do technically, and especially in developing Nicky's heading, but I have high hopes for this young lad. I know it says he's a full back, but Nicky will be playing center back.

1306994561_NickyWynne_futuretransfer.thumb.png.4ea3c66819d1cbe0b8aaad03908966ab.png 142253028_NickyWynne.thumb.png.f132a331a4afdec820e56d5401543b1c.png

Joining towards the end of the month was our new keeper, Thomas McGill, on a free after having been released by Brighton. He is 22 and very competent. There is also room for him to improve. If truth be told, I had wanted to sign a keeper from Maidenhead who was transfer listed, but he refused to even come here on loan. I don't understand it. He could journey Europe with us. His loss, Thomas's gain.

969874093_ThomasMcGill_signs.thumb.png.6734be988a21f8187270bac044eeb58c.png 632900653_ThomasMcGill.thumb.png.d60cb6ac7d17b3b46e9856ecc9a777de.png

I've been actively trying to find loan moves for a number of youngsters and, as I said before, Aldair Neto wants to leave the club. There have been very few offers though. Well, offers that my players like anyway. Lower division clubs regularly try to entice my back up away, but they never want to leave. I suspect the sticking points with Aldair is him wanting to join and also his wage demands. I've not seen the best from him this year and he has fallen well behind my current wide men, Edwards and Poch Junior.

I also have offered Dave Dafydd up for loan. I just want him to have more game time to help him show his true abilities and he's not getting it here. Goalkeeper Jay Waller and center back Kristian Watson have been playing regularly on loan and it has really benefitted them. Again, there seems to be an issue with clubs not thinking he will agree to a loan deal though. They could at least try.

January League Games

So on to January's schedule, and what a month. I'll give you, the reader, a little teaser. We conceded a goal.

We started at Colwyn Bay just a few days after beating Haverfordwest. Our new year bloomed in to life for us just before half time. First, Tom Price stepped up to score his first goal for us - another belter from the edge of the area. I have encouraged my midfielders to shoot more. Three minutes later it was two, Serafino nodding home a Liam Edwards cross. It marked a continued return to form for our talisman. Things slowed down a little in the second half but we did make it three through Poch Junior late in the game. A nice 3-0 win made for a joyful coach journey home.

The games continued thick and fast, and a few days on we welcomed Barry Town to Nantporth. Barry are having a mixed bag of a season but they are still a quality outfit. The seaside outfit limited us to a sole Serafino strike around the twentieth minute, but the real stars of the game were outr center back pairing of Scott Wilson and Billy Sass-Davies. I really should off Billy a contract. He hasn't received one from Crewe yet. I'm kind of reluctant to hear him say 'no'.

04WPLM18ColwynBay3123.thumb.png.c47d60c8c66d5468e84b797fd53ed670.png 04WPLM19BarryTown7123.thumb.png.6fb8c7aed9379df489531f73f33d5ccb.png

The Barry game wasn't the end of the weekend-midweek fixture list, and three days later we travelled to the Wrexham are to meet Cefn Druids, before we welcomed Colwyn Bay back to Nantporth for our return fixture. We blew Cefn Druids away in the first half, romping to a 3-0 lead at half time. In the second half I was forced to shout down the touchline as we took our foot off the gas to allow them a back door in to the game. The shouting worked, however, and we held on for a 3-1 victory.

We were on a roll now, and we continued our sparkling form against the Bay. An early Serafino goal, his sixth in five games, and another long ranger from Cauterucci in the second half secured us a 2-0 win.

We finished the first phase of the league at home to Llanrhaeadr. We rather blew them away. We were two up within six minutes before the village team tightened up a little. We had a cracking thirteen shots on target and doubled our tally in the second half to record a great 4-0 win. Liam Edwards was fantastic in this game. Three key passes, an assist, one other chance created and a goal. Liam is having a great first season for us, and he's justifying the £10k I spent on him.

04WPLM20CefnDruids10123.thumb.png.d74bbc239d94267197c1446142c2abeb.png 04WPLM21ColwynBay13123.thumb.png.83f310ecb1180ed2a153f0c075b04f8e.png

04WPLM22Llanrhaeadr23123.thumb.png.e6f1cb44f8960aceb2ad6f596ff371f0.png

I told you we conceded a goal in January. Just the one though, and a whopping thirteen goals scored. All this has had a very dramatic effect on our league challenge. The New Saints and Cardiff Met Uni had mixed months whilst Bala Town had a catastrophic drop in form, losing their last four games. It has left us with a very healthy eight point gap at the top of the league.

WPLJan23.thumb.png.944dfd74bf725a700132129e3369e278.png

Corbett Sports Welsh Premier Football League as at 21.30, Monday 23rd January 2023 (bizarrely the Barry vs Aberystwyth match is not scheduled until 4th Februrary)

There was one last game in January and it was a trip down to Barry in the fourth round of the cup. It is fair to say we didn't turn up. McGill came in for his first start and did okay. I certainly can't blame our keeper for the fact that we lost 1-0. Serafino had scored in his last seven games, but he must have changed his boots for this game. It was a horror show and it ends our cup run for this season. The board won't be happy, and we will need to follow through on this lead we have built up in the league. There is nothing forcing the board to not sack me, and I do fear that if we fail to win the league then I could be out of a job.

04WCR4BarryTown28123.thumb.png.5d3aa88c8c5cf5c50ce15d8e3532fc5c.png 

Heading back to better memories, it is hard to pick my Player Of The Month after such a strong month. It has to be our talisman though, surely. Seven goals in six games was a fantastic return to form for Francesco Serafino. Yet another Player Of The Month award for our star striker. Where would we be without our talisman?

The Championship Conference is not scheduled yet, but we know we will be playing The New Saints, Cardiff Met Uni, Bala Town, Barry Town and Aberystwyth. Barry and Aberystwyth have been patchy of form all season and Bala are on a terrible run. TNS and Cardiff are the teams we must worry about.

Can we bring the title to Nantporth? If we blow an eight point lead I'll be crying.

giphy.gif

Edited by anagain

On 12/02/2020 at 07:57, anagain said:

As far as Germany ploughing their way through another tournament, yeah. Not so sure about Origi being golden boot...

I am ready for another episode, when I find time to write it. 

I meant getting back to domestic football and not a middle of the season World Cup.