[FM20] Job Two: Swindon Town - A Walk On The Wiltshire Side

anagain

January 2023

January was a wonderful month for us that took a downturn right at the end. We look very cosy at the end of the first phase of this year's league. I even managed to strengthen us with a new signing between the sticks, and have a new face coming in in the summer by way of a very talented youngster. Plus, last but not least, the board have agreed to improve our youth facilities. In the Development league our lads are not really competing with the top teams. The board were reluctant at first but a little pressure meant they saw the benefit. The money we are making from the European Bangor Bus really should go somewhere. We'll never spend it all on players.

My next request will be that we turn professional. I'm not sure it will happen however, and I'll be upfront and say I'd seriously consider a step up in my career now. If we can win the league then I think I'll have done all I can at a semi-pro club.

Transfer Window

Transfers first then, and joining us in the summer is Llandudno youngster Nicky Wynne. I'd been looking closely at Nicky, and when I saw that Bala had offered a contract I jumped in and beat them to the punch. We have to signal our superiority. We have some work to do technically, and especially in developing Nicky's heading, but I have high hopes for this young lad. I know it says he's a full back, but Nicky will be playing center back.

1306994561_NickyWynne_futuretransfer.thumb.png.4ea3c66819d1cbe0b8aaad03908966ab.png 142253028_NickyWynne.thumb.png.f132a331a4afdec820e56d5401543b1c.png

Joining towards the end of the month was our new keeper, Thomas McGill, on a free after having been released by Brighton. He is 22 and very competent. There is also room for him to improve. If truth be told, I had wanted to sign a keeper from Maidenhead who was transfer listed, but he refused to even come here on loan. I don't understand it. He could journey Europe with us. His loss, Thomas's gain.

969874093_ThomasMcGill_signs.thumb.png.6734be988a21f8187270bac044eeb58c.png 632900653_ThomasMcGill.thumb.png.d60cb6ac7d17b3b46e9856ecc9a777de.png

I've been actively trying to find loan moves for a number of youngsters and, as I said before, Aldair Neto wants to leave the club. There have been very few offers though. Well, offers that my players like anyway. Lower division clubs regularly try to entice my back up away, but they never want to leave. I suspect the sticking points with Aldair is him wanting to join and also his wage demands. I've not seen the best from him this year and he has fallen well behind my current wide men, Edwards and Poch Junior.

I also have offered Dave Dafydd up for loan. I just want him to have more game time to help him show his true abilities and he's not getting it here. Goalkeeper Jay Waller and center back Kristian Watson have been playing regularly on loan and it has really benefitted them. Again, there seems to be an issue with clubs not thinking he will agree to a loan deal though. They could at least try.

January League Games

So on to January's schedule, and what a month. I'll give you, the reader, a little teaser. We conceded a goal.

We started at Colwyn Bay just a few days after beating Haverfordwest. Our new year bloomed in to life for us just before half time. First, Tom Price stepped up to score his first goal for us - another belter from the edge of the area. I have encouraged my midfielders to shoot more. Three minutes later it was two, Serafino nodding home a Liam Edwards cross. It marked a continued return to form for our talisman. Things slowed down a little in the second half but we did make it three through Poch Junior late in the game. A nice 3-0 win made for a joyful coach journey home.

The games continued thick and fast, and a few days on we welcomed Barry Town to Nantporth. Barry are having a mixed bag of a season but they are still a quality outfit. The seaside outfit limited us to a sole Serafino strike around the twentieth minute, but the real stars of the game were outr center back pairing of Scott Wilson and Billy Sass-Davies. I really should off Billy a contract. He hasn't received one from Crewe yet. I'm kind of reluctant to hear him say 'no'.

04WPLM18ColwynBay3123.thumb.png.c47d60c8c66d5468e84b797fd53ed670.png 04WPLM19BarryTown7123.thumb.png.6fb8c7aed9379df489531f73f33d5ccb.png

The Barry game wasn't the end of the weekend-midweek fixture list, and three days later we travelled to the Wrexham are to meet Cefn Druids, before we welcomed Colwyn Bay back to Nantporth for our return fixture. We blew Cefn Druids away in the first half, romping to a 3-0 lead at half time. In the second half I was forced to shout down the touchline as we took our foot off the gas to allow them a back door in to the game. The shouting worked, however, and we held on for a 3-1 victory.

We were on a roll now, and we continued our sparkling form against the Bay. An early Serafino goal, his sixth in five games, and another long ranger from Cauterucci in the second half secured us a 2-0 win.

We finished the first phase of the league at home to Llanrhaeadr. We rather blew them away. We were two up within six minutes before the village team tightened up a little. We had a cracking thirteen shots on target and doubled our tally in the second half to record a great 4-0 win. Liam Edwards was fantastic in this game. Three key passes, an assist, one other chance created and a goal. Liam is having a great first season for us, and he's justifying the £10k I spent on him.

04WPLM20CefnDruids10123.thumb.png.d74bbc239d94267197c1446142c2abeb.png 04WPLM21ColwynBay13123.thumb.png.83f310ecb1180ed2a153f0c075b04f8e.png

04WPLM22Llanrhaeadr23123.thumb.png.e6f1cb44f8960aceb2ad6f596ff371f0.png

I told you we conceded a goal in January. Just the one though, and a whopping thirteen goals scored. All this has had a very dramatic effect on our league challenge. The New Saints and Cardiff Met Uni had mixed months whilst Bala Town had a catastrophic drop in form, losing their last four games. It has left us with a very healthy eight point gap at the top of the league.

WPLJan23.thumb.png.944dfd74bf725a700132129e3369e278.png

Corbett Sports Welsh Premier Football League as at 21.30, Monday 23rd January 2023 (bizarrely the Barry vs Aberystwyth match is not scheduled until 4th Februrary)

There was one last game in January and it was a trip down to Barry in the fourth round of the cup. It is fair to say we didn't turn up. McGill came in for his first start and did okay. I certainly can't blame our keeper for the fact that we lost 1-0. Serafino had scored in his last seven games, but he must have changed his boots for this game. It was a horror show and it ends our cup run for this season. The board won't be happy, and we will need to follow through on this lead we have built up in the league. There is nothing forcing the board to not sack me, and I do fear that if we fail to win the league then I could be out of a job.

04WCR4BarryTown28123.thumb.png.5d3aa88c8c5cf5c50ce15d8e3532fc5c.png 

Heading back to better memories, it is hard to pick my Player Of The Month after such a strong month. It has to be our talisman though, surely. Seven goals in six games was a fantastic return to form for Francesco Serafino. Yet another Player Of The Month award for our star striker. Where would we be without our talisman?

The Championship Conference is not scheduled yet, but we know we will be playing The New Saints, Cardiff Met Uni, Bala Town, Barry Town and Aberystwyth. Barry and Aberystwyth have been patchy of form all season and Bala are on a terrible run. TNS and Cardiff are the teams we must worry about.

Can we bring the title to Nantporth? If we blow an eight point lead I'll be crying.

giphy.gif

Edited by anagain

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/02/2020 at 07:57, anagain said:

As far as Germany ploughing their way through another tournament, yeah. Not so sure about Origi being golden boot...

I am ready for another episode, when I find time to write it. 

I meant getting back to domestic football and not a middle of the season World Cup.

• 5 months later...

Holy necro, Batman!

independence day hello GIF

Yes, I'm back.

Originally, I thought to have a little break. FM had been feeling a little tiring and I felt I needed to go away for a week, maybe two, recharge the batteries and come back to tackle the title charge.

Well, I got playing other things. Then COVID hit, football in the UK died and FM kept slipping away.

God my squad is alien to me...got to at least finish this season though.

Edited by anagain

February 2023

Buttcheek's tensed.

Going in to February, and the start of the Championship Conference, eight points clear of second placed TNS seems to have left the lads with the above condition. Doctor?!

First up was a trip all the way down south to Barry, and a repeat of the recent cup game that saw us knocked out by a solitary goal. The league game was just as tight. A dull affair which ended 0-0. Barry are a good team, so I wasn't worried. The fact that TNS beat Cardiff 3-0 was a little concerning, that fact closing the gap to six points.

The games are thick and fast in February, and next saw us head west to Aberystwyth. Queue us completely collapsing and throwing the unbeaten league run, that stretched back to September, out with the bath water. They stuffed us well and truly, the lads seeming to forget what sport they were actually playing. My hopes for new signing McGill were well and truly scuppered in this game. I'm seeing a lot more in Brino right now. I think we'll be talking Italian next game.

italian spaghetti GIF

Talking of next games, welcoming TNS to Nantporth when we'd just been stuffed 0-3 by Aberystwyth was daunting. Buttcheek's becoming un-unclenchable. True to my words, Brino came back in between the sticks and Dalia replaced young Camm at right back. Both Delvecchio and Lennie Armstrong had come to me before the game to say they wanted more pitch time, but they'll have to remain patient for now. I really want Delvecchio to shine again, like he did first season. For now, however, Poch Junior remains first choice. No one is truly cemented in to the first team at the moment though. Babos especially fits that case. I can never get sustained periods of the best from the lad, and Cauterucci is on the bench for this one.

Well, on to the game. We were awful and suffered sustained pressure from a confident looking TNS. They had just thrashed Barry 4-0 right after beating Cardiff 3-0. TNS duly took the lead midway through the second half, though I was surprised we had held out till then if I am honest with people. I had just taken off the woeful Babos and Edwards, replacing them with Cauterucci and Agyemang. Olopade was having a poor game too, and I soon replaced him with Price, reverting to a more attacking formation to try and get an equaliser.

My changes proved themselves. Price receiving the ball on the edge of the box lays it off to an attacking Dalia. Dalia's pinpoint cross lands right on the head of our talisman, Serafino. He duly knocks the ball past the TNS keep. 1-1. Buttcheek's loosening. That was a good point, after the first eighty minutes of ineptitude.

On to the 19th February and the last game of the month. A whole week with nothing to do afterwards...damn schedules. I probably say that every year. We welcomed Bala back to Nantporth for another Gwynedd derby. Their form had been patchy so a win was a must. The Championship Conference has started badly, and we need to get back to being mighty Bangor. The lads listened, and we were all over Bala for the first forty-five. Serafino had chance after chance but failed to convert. In the second half I finally got sick of his inability to put the ball away and brought Babos on. Babos's form had resulted me in starting Cauterucci in this match, Piero is slowly becoming my utility man. I think he has played everywhere but keeper this year.

Babos played well, though granted he couldn't have missed as many chances as Serafino in thirty minutes. It was the recently returned Dalia and Ghanaian wide man Agyemang that produced the goods though. With a quarter of the match remaining, Dalia picks up the ball on the edge of the area, after a Delvecchio attempt was deflected (yes, I gave him a chance because Edwards had been terrible and was out of the squad). One shot. Left back blocks. Second attempt. Goal! Eugenio, I love you. Italy proves itself again.

Two minutes later, Delvecchio picks the ball up on the right. A nice one-two with Babos and a pinpoint cross on to Agyemang's left peg. 2-0, and surely the winner. The old boys are doing the job for us.

04WPLM23BarryTown7223.thumb.png.bf0358646da0ce62e6d2d0737c5dbcd1.png  04WPLM24AberystwythTown10223.thumb.png.8b93117c3d496f0826a520962d90bee8.png

04WPLM25TheNewSaints15223.thumb.png.1667bdc9ae6e7a04463f100030b27e59.png  04WPLM26BalaTown19223.thumb.png.ca9baf8d0bf687911c1f7a20e6f1aef7.png

Consider those buttcheek's unclenched. The Bangor machine is running smoothly again. TNS drew too.

We're back to five points clear. Not the end of February I wanted, but it's better than I thought it was going to be at eighty-nine minutes into the TNS game.

WPLFeb23.thumb.png.ea1884510fb66cad54affac4cb31b6ac.png

In one little bit of transfer news, Massimo Sammartino has left the club after four years and eighty-six games. He wasn't getting games this year and I said he could go with my well wishes. He's gone off to Gzira United in Malta. Good luck to you, Massimo.

I nearly forgot tradition of naming a Player Of The Month for February. I can only give that award to Eugenio Dalia. He came back to the team and produced the goods. A goal and an assist to resurrect February. Emmanuel Agyemang pushed Eugenio close though.

Only three games in March, and more breathing room between each. Cardiff, Barry (again) and TNS to end the month. That TNS match may well decide the title. Bring it on.

Feeling better after that Bala win.

Relaxed Cat GIF

March 2023

Those buttcheeks aren't getting any better. If we throw away this season, after being top of the league for so long, I may well do something unprecendented. I don't know what it'lll be. I suspect it will be a spur of the moment thing.

Of course, we went in to March with confidence, after the victory over Bala, but that went nowhere towards suggesting that I felt the three games would be easy. First up was a trip down south to face Cardiff Met Uni. The students were on an awful run of form, and having beaten them 2-0 and 3-0 already this season I wanted to pile on the misery. In the wet, we started on the front foot. Serafino latched on to a poor defensive pass and a lovely little triangle set up Olopade to side foot us in to a first minute lead. Ten minutes later we doubled the misery, Olopade setting up Dalia to lash home. We were running rampant, and we made it 3-0 before twenty minutes had lapsed. Serafino watched as two Cardiff defenders got in to the biggest muddle since Bangor University held a twister competition in a muddy field, and he simply then picked up the ball and tapped it home. Cauterucci then made it 4-0 before half time, with a fiercely struck effort, and we were coasting.

As is usual we didn't seem to push quite as much after the break. Cauterucci made it five when he knocked in his own header after it bounced back off the bar, before the students managed to pull one back through Busumbru. I really should sign him as he is always dangerous. I'm just not sure if he can get in to the team ahead of Serafino.  We rounded the game out with a Serafino header and travelled back home in a very joyous mood.

The next weekend's games would be interesting. We faced a dangerous Barry at home whilst TNS travelled to the team we had just thumped 6-1. TNS having won a day before we beat the students, we could be only two points clear by Sunday evening. Barry have been our nemeses this year, having only beaten them once, and by just a goal to nil. I told the lads to get at them, but was angered when they took the lead midway through the first half thanks to awful defending. Serafino put away a penalty close to half time to equalise, but I wasn't happy with how we had done. We played better after the break but couldn't finish the game, and it proved telling as Barry slotted home a second easy goal with ten minutes left. Even a red card for Barry and our relentless pressure for the last ten couldn't see us equalise again, and Barry had foiled us again. I was not impressed.

The only saving grace to that result against Barry was the following:

04_WPL_Cardiff_beat_TNS.thumb.png.bcf6331e71b9cfb670454f007f93ee9b.png

Yes, one week after we thumped them, the students beat our bitter rivals. Oh, I love this game.

Next up was a huge trip to Oswestry to face our rivals. We were still five points clear. Win this game and we could probably call the title ours, barring a miracle. The league's website had run an article the previous week analysing the end of the season. Our run ins couldn't have been more similar. The Cardiff win had meant we have qualified for the Euro Cup 2, but of course we wanted more.

Aber will be scary, after they best us 3-0, but I was confident of beating Bala and the students.

04_WPL_TitleRace.thumb.png.8f294ed9891065b6c77c8399ccd817bb.png

There is of course the matter of that little game over the border. I set up tighter, thinking if we could contain TNS and go home with a point then that would be a success. Consider my plans scuppered, then, when the aptly named Ben Tricker scored after two minutes. "What are you idiots doing?" I shouted from the touchline. The second half got worse though when TNS went 2-0. There was nothing left to do but to go all out for two goals. A second yellow for the TNS wing back helped. Agyemang knocked home a nice finish with ten minutes left. But that was all we could manage and we went home with our tails between our legs.

We hadn't played well. Delvecchio, who has been demanding more game time, was attrocious. He does this. He can have a run of good games and then just goes missing. Oh, where is the Delvecchio of season one? Someone tell me.

04WPLM27CardiffMetUni5323.thumb.png.497da716d0d1bf5b4b9f1dfc02f4b3b6.png  04WPLM28BarryTown12323.thumb.png.1a476e29c6f90e1bd25b5159605fc631.png

04WPLM29TheNewSaints25323.thumb.png.77bc70539333cc5f30db0d6eaa316b9b.png

So we are two points clear of TNS with three games left. The games against Aber, Bala and Cardiff have to count. I pulled the lads in for a little chat before training to say we're good enough to do this. They all agreed. We deserve to win this league - at last.

WPLMar23.thumb.png.1beb761efe55b78a0a72f460147ebe82.png

Corbett Sports Welsh Premier Football League as at 16.30, Sunday 26th March 2023

My Player Of The Month for March 2023 goes to Piero Cauterucci. He may have gone missing against barry and TNS (though almost everyone did), but his performance against Cardiff was key to that win. A little tip of the hat to Marcus Dackers. He has come to cement himself fully in to the defensive playmake role. He really is the man no one notices, but whom is a lynchpin of our march towards a title. He is starting to surpass even Yalany Baio and Lucas Defise. No doubt Exeter will come knocking soon. He holds me in the highest regard as a manager of course.

And so onto the month of dreams. I'm not nervous. No. Why would I be?

nervous GIF

Doctor...

Edited by anagain

April 2023

I can't resist it. Spoliers be damned!

winning the best GIF

Yes. Bangor City are the Welsh Premier league champions. But, how did we manage that, you ask. Well, shut the hell up and I'll fill in the last month. Even the damn chairman is not this fond of questions. Sorry, being the best makes one cocky, y'know?

We well and truly slaughtered April, though we annoyingly got a bit complacent at the end. I never have been able to fix that. The Italian spirit. Win the first half. Have a siesta.

We were helped along the way by Barry. They put a spanner in the works a few times this season, but their own form elsewhere hampered them a little. A little more consistency and we might have seen a repeat of 20-21.

04_WPL_TNS1-1Barry_8423.thumb.png.a7b4741d971b3e24c554c845fddca36e.png

That result came in their first game of April. A day later we faced Aber at home and a win would see us with a four point gap. In an interesting comparison with a few weeks back (when TNS lost to Cardiff after we'd thrashed them), TNS would then travel to Aber. A loss would mean the title was ours befoire we had even kicked a ball in our game with Bala.

We set the ball rolling with a thumping of Aber. Delvecchio got relegated due to form - again - and I took a gamble in bringing Liam Edwards back to the side. Whether I want to rotate, or not, I end up doing so because my lad's form is never extended. Edwards thanked me with a brace, and his two goals were doubled with headers from my center back pairing of Sass-Davies and Rea. 4-0 was a perfect payback for our 0-3 loss a couple of months back.

Stage two was a week later, and TNS squeaked through by a goal to nil. I suppose they get the nerves too.

Queue our trip to Bala for a Gwynedd derby and a match where a win would guarantee us the title.

The only change was Poch Jnr coming in to the side in place of Agyemang. We set up positive and determined, and it paid off twenty-six minutes in. Dackers played a lovely floated ball in to the area, Edwards ran on to it and side footed the ball home. Twelve minutes later and it was 2-0. Olopade collected a lost ball on the edge of the box, he turned and belted the ball past the Bala keeper with such force that I'm surprised it didn't break the net. All that was required now was the hold on to the lead and see the match out. We duly did that and celebrated like madmen at the end. The boss man even got us some champage. Italian, I think it was. Probably Asti Spumante with the label changed.

Bbc Champagne GIF by britbox

Nevertheless, the party was great. The lads had me on the dance floor bopping along to some terrible dance pop version of Nessun Dorma. The travesty. They asked for an Italian tune I might know, but they'd never heard of Senza Una Donna. I'm surprised I remembered it. There's not so many big Italian songs, you know. I said "just play Robert De Niro's Waiting by Bananarama".

"Who?" They all asked. Kids!

04_WPL_Championi.thumb.png.77cf2533dd3dbf7b061a4798d5ec817c.png

That just left the small matter of Cardiff Met Uni at home on the final day. With nothing to play for, I gave Salvatore Pascarella a game on the left and Owen beck at left back. I felt bad for them after being informed they were the only ones who wouldn't get a medal. Dave Dafydd got some good pitch time, as did Joey Banks. Joey did very well. We won the game 3-2, and I wasn't impressed with the way we folded in the second half. "Never be complacent", I reminded the lads.

04WPLM30AberystwythTown9423.thumb.png.193219b273b9aceb91081b920eaa3965.png  04WPLM31BalaTown16423.thumb.png.22c65469d5781928070cb91819562fcf.png

04WPLM32CardiffMetUni21423.thumb.png.82439b5d0eba56e3066a01c4a7464ea5.png

So, my Player Of The Month for April? All of them, really. To finally topple TNS is a massive achievement. I'm going to give it to Billy Sass-Davies though. Billy has been so fantastic for us all season, and he scored twice in the final three games. I wonder if there is any chance of signing him permanent? He has a future at Crewe, I think. Stockport want him, too.

WPLApr23.thumb.png.307a3f8558c6e4d971ce6583ded221cd.png

Corbett Sports Welsh Premier Football League Final Table 2022-23

What next? Well I'll be damned if our rise to greatness ends there. We now have a place in the Champions League now. Well, the qualifiers. We now take the European Bangor Bus to a higher level and possibly even more moolah.

The question is, do I spend big? I want to keep the players we have for certain and there's a few faces coming from my scouts that need looking at.

End of season stat blast to come.

Season 2022-2023 - End Of Season Summary

04_BangorCity_2223SeasonReview.thumb.png.484dfa9ba50a335c395455e7cb95a0bf.png  04_BangorCity_PlayerAwards.thumb.png.929e3e358b9dfca7ab93da1b662607c8.png

End Of Season Player Stats (hope it's readable)

04_BangorCity_SeasonStats_End.thumb.png.823eff113c3dcdcc1a3dd11aaa5518fa.png

04_WPL_EndOfSeasonStats.thumb.png.3b6df88281e942bace21c1bb9ca1ff23.png

The JD End of Season Awards (dunno what's up with my game - mouseover trophy and it's Corbett Sports, League badge is Dafabet and awards are JD)

04_WPL_JDManagerOfTheYear2223.thumb.png.9708b4d2577cc961185a1b47284c2e2b.png  04_WPL_JDGoldenBoot2223.thumb.png.0296dc89b53da874b19df8f1a2d012e6.png

Team of the Season
04_WPL_TeamOfTheSeason2223.thumb.png.5be02430c84fc5b1f4f05f59aac7e15a.png

Mason Glover (TNS) won both Player Of The Season and Young Player Of The Season in what was undoubtedly a blatant travesty.

And, the last bit of news before we switch our attentions to season 2023-24. Aberystwyth Town won a play off to secure the final spot in next year's Euro Cup II. That means the Welsh Premier League will have four participants in Europe.

Champions League First Qualifying Round: Bangor City

Euro Cup II First Qualifying Round: The New Saints, Barry Town, Aberystwyth Town.

For 2022-2023, goodbye.

July 2023

Pre-season Part One & The European Bangor Bus Part One

You don't get a long break when you're playing in Europe as a minnow nation, and the lads arrived back in training late in June, weary eyed and having not had enough time to pile on pounds in Magaluf. There were even two new arrivals before this date, but to get things started why not have a look at the ins and outs so far?

First, we look at the first teamers that were deemed surplus and hopefully go on to better things:

05_Bangor_released.thumb.png.9954932dd9376345ed3b1d7e274b4b8b.png

Matteo, Lorenzo and Salvatore never managed to force their way to starting positions and I let them go for the sake of their careers. Lennie was someone who just got left behind really, as was Aldair. Hopefully they find clubs and get play time.

A number of youth players didn't quite make the grade and moved on on free transfers. Hopefully they go on to brighter things, and at the time of writing all but Arwyn and John Alex have found clubs.

05_Bangor_youthreleased.png.9443cdded8b1a0a53f11688ca99dff9e.png

05_Bangor_transfers_In_July.thumb.png.5fe095bee535d6fd6a0cf91d5aeb4d09.png  05_Bangor_transfers_Out_July.thumb.png.e601c8c397200b08c6fe35d895267ed1.png

We've done pretty well for ourselves in the main market. Nicky Wynne finally joined after we offered him a contract some time ago. Nicky is a LB/CB who is still young enough to grow as a player. Jack Kelly is another LB who I signed as a more secure backup option to Kris Owens. At the time it was up in the air as to whether Owen Beck would stay at the club and more cover at LB was needed. Nicky is more of a CB really, so Jack has a place at the club. I am hoping to give Owen a loan spell as he's not really progressed as well as I'd hoped and game time will be limited for him. Sadly, the fans were not super impressed with the signing of Jack. Sod 'em!

651963330_NickyWynne.thumb.png.548bed3d72d1847712c1a5d71e5a954a.png  Jack_Kelly.thumb.png.3fcd02ecdb50dd9c6aeeb2baae1438e4.png

Stephen Fairhurst is a signing that the fans liked. I tried to sign this lad before the change of season, but it was said I'd have to pay around £50k in compensation. Stephen is a very promising strike option that I see great things for. I'm expecting bids either January or next summer for him. He only cost us £500 from Prestatyn. Pete Davies is a midfielder who popped up in a scout meeting. Pete is a solid midfielder who can push Olopade.

Stephen_Fairhurst.thumb.png.e29552f2c09913c60e8f2356398e1682.png  Pete_Davies.thumb.png.c50b0d73b475ebfaa21af128cc3ad41c.png

Someone who is almost a new signing is Alan Wandless who joined us from Brickfield last summer. I saw his development best being at Brickfield on loan for the season, and I am sure he learnt a lot despite his side being relegated. Alan is a defensive minded midfielder who is more than able to deputise at RB. He has certainly progressed in the last year. Both Alan and Stephen can fill the role of an U19 for matches.

1772612930_AlanWandless.thumb.png.cb623b3278a55f3df667d42c150684a9.png image.png.76bcb534aa814799215334d736ccb560.png1737378860_AlanWandless_2023.thumb.png.f7db5a4e6a2aca149cbe4a28b0097bd6.png

And, of course, I saved the best till last. It came to my attention that our defensive hero of the title winning campaign was not being given a new contract at Crewe. Of course, I am referring to Billy Sass-Davies. I did not wait around to sign him, and he put pen to paper a short while later, stating that he saw the prospect of playing time at Bangor to be his best option. You won't regret it, Billy. Honestly, I think this is my best signing in five years. I just wish we had the facilities to really improve him as a player.

Leaving the club on loan deals are Lewis Foster, youngster Tomos Stewart (he's in his last year as a youth prospect so he needs to impress), Cian Looney (new youth graduate) and Jay Waller. I am trying to find deals for a few other players. Most notable among these is Dave Dafydd. I had high hopes for Dave when he came into our youth setup, but it's never quite worked out for Dave. He played very well in a friendly against Corwen, but I don't see him getting a lot of game time. He will improve better on loan somewhere. It's just a case of trying to find somewhere. We have a new affiliate in Llangefni, but that may be a step low for a talented young lad. I shall have to work on it.

The European Bangor Bus Tour 2023

And on to our European campaign for 2023. Because of our startling title win back in April we qualified for the Champions League. Well, the qualifiers. Don't get excited.

excited bring it GIF

Sadly, the draw wasn't too kind on us. With teams from Andorra, Luxembourg or the Faroes in the draw, who should we get? Not one of them. We ended up with a trip to Videoton of Hungary and Young Boys of Bern, should we beat the Hungarians. I think a lot of this bunch of lads, but I was not confident. Who knows though. Yeah? Positivity is the name of the game.

We travelled to Hungary first, and I figured if we could keep the score down then we might be able to turn the tie at home on a wet and miserable Welsh evening. Maybe? That idea lasted eleven minutes, as the Hungarian's RW met a first time cross with his head to power the ball in to the back of the net. My defenders seemed to be marking each other, not the opposition. As if that would work, right?

To be fair to Videoton, we were attrocious in that first half. They capitalised in rampant fashion, adding a second before the break. I hammered in to the lads in the changing room. It's one thing to lose, but to not even enter the opposition penalty box is another. In the second half we actually turned up, and gave the Hungarians a small fright before the goal of the tie was scored by Videoton's Argentine winger Romano. He did what I only wish my wingers were capable of, skillfully evading a flying tackle by Dalia before turning two defenders and blasting the ball home past McGill. Luckily we held out for the final thirty-seven minutes.

A week later we welcomed Videoton to our little home on the Menai Strait. I think they quite liked it. The chairman turned the Italian flag on its side in an efort to make them feel welcome, though I'm not sure it worked. I wished we could have turned the football on it's side. To be honest, we might have done better with a rugger ball. Videoton dominated from the get go, and it was 4-0 by half time. We had been well and truly slapped around the chops with a week old...what's Hungarian in the food department? Imagine it, and we were slapped with it. We drowned in goulash. There, that works. McGill made a calamitous error for the third goal, and I am starting to wonder if the young keeper will make it here. To be fair to him, he was not the only player that had a mare that first half, and this is a fact I hammered home to them in the changing rooms. Videoton didn't score after the break, and we did, so there was that.

Winning was never truly on the cards, but effort counts. I didn't see that in abundance, and I expect to.

05CLQ1L1VideotonFC12723.thumb.png.71a3be39f767370dfd531c34b231ddc9.png  05CLR1L2VideotonFC19723.thumb.png.26069e1d05cf1e4eb3d94a73c46fc6ff.png

Young Boys will have to wait to be destroyed by Bangor for another year, but we do now have the joy of the Champions side of the good old Euro Cup II competition. First up will be a trip to Andorra - again - and a tie with Sant Julià. Actually, the first leg was at home and I sent the boys out with a task to "score as many as is bloody possible" and to "not get complacent". As if.

We did, of course, but not until the end. Why can't we just keep a clean sheet? The first half was one way traffic, but could we find the net? Could we, hell. It took until the forty-second minute before Billy Sass-Davies connected firmly with a corner and the ball flew in to the net. Two minutes later he scored a second bullet header. In stoppage time it was Joey Banks on the score sheet. This made me very happy. Joey has a bright future ahead of him and his efforts in training and in friendlies forced me to include him. He was our best player for long spells in this game. Further efforts from Edwards, Wilson and Poch Jnr made the score 6-0 in the second before Sant Julià got their consolation.

Now to just hold on to that form in Andorra la Vella. I'm starting to like this sleepy little capital in the Pyrenees. Evidently, twenty-six proud Bangorites like it too. That was how many of our loyal fans travelled with us for what turned out to be another win. The first half was the most dominant I have seen us in five years. We had shot after shot on the Sant Julià goal, and it was only the heroics of their keeper that kept the score down, though I won't discount some poor finishing. Goals from Edwards, Serafino (penalty), Olopade (a belter) and Banks (again) gave us a 4-0 half time lead. If only we were as good in the second half, but it is the sad truth that our same old "couldn't give a damn" tendencies sprung forth again. We also conceded another consolation and we have to get rid of that habit if we're going to upset the odds in this competition. I'd love to win two more rounds and reach the group stages. Can we do it?

I want to make a quick comment on the Andorran keeper that we faced. Javi Bravo was sensational, and were it not for the fact that my scouts/coaches didn't rate him I might have offered him a contract that same day. I might still. He's played in Spain in his time. Would he come to wet little Bangor? We have four keepers. Do we need a fifth?

It would be a frivolity to sign him. I can't...

05EC2CQ2L1SantJulia27723.thumb.png.f592dec7feb2d6b78d18484ed90002af.png  05EC2CQ2L2SantJulia3823.thumb.png.5bb6a22cdd9935034fa787e0c7f4a025.png

We drew Budućnost Podgorica of Montenegro in the next round. I've been informed they should be quite good, but we beat Radnik Bijeljina last yeat and were reckoned to lose. Bring it on!

the fifth element fighting GIF

There's just the matter of my Player Of The Month award for our European exploits of July (and a bit of early August - yes, I was aware). I am going to give young Joey Banks his first award for the club. He deserved it for his peformances against Sant Julià. He was outstanding and has progressed well from his days as a youth player. First team appearances can only make him even better.

1394280321_JoeyBanks.thumb.png.a03037c132eb642f8874addc1da156da.png image.png.76bcb534aa814799215334d736ccb560.png 1578301435_JoeyBanks_2023.thumb.png.8cb372396c69847aa854175500242b8a.png

Until next week...

...you know, Sant Julià's young midfielder ain't 'alf bad, mum. Eighteen year old with thirteen Andorran A team caps. He's 5' 4" with the skills of an Andorran Xavi. He's dubious about signing, I'm told.

Excuse Me Mouse GIF

Edited by anagain

August 2023

Pre-Season Part Two & The European Bangor Bus Part Two - Depths Never Before Reached

The Pre-Season side of August was uneventful. A couple of players came in on trial and the fitness of the squad was improved, but the main focus of intention in August was the continuing adventures of The European Bangor Bus.

Last we spoke we were awaiting a meeting with Budućnost Podgorica of Montenegro. The media were beginning to hype up little Bangor. They really believed we had a chance of beating Budućnost. First we would welcome Podgorica to Wales. We would have to play the tie at The Racecourse Ground in Wrexham to meet ground rules. Wrexham is far from as pretty as Bangor, but it wasn't too far for our fans to travel and cheer on the lads. With the press upping our chances, as I said, I sent the boys out with attack in mind. Joey Banks continued on the left after his great start to the season, and he had the game of his life.

We were on the front foot from the get go, Joey teeing up Dalia for an eleventh minute lead. Things turned even more in our favour in first half stoppage time. Liam Edwards swung a corner in and Scott Wilson was there to meet it with his head. The Budućnost keep got a save in but the ball fell kindly for talisman Francesco to knock home a simple second.

I reminded the lads that things could still turn in the second. "Keep your heads, lads", I said. How right I was, I thought, when our opposition pulled one back within six minutes. Milos Raickovic with a cracking finish to keep his team in the tie. It was young Joey Banks that put us back in good waters. Kris Owens swung in a deep cross from the left, and there was Joey, on the penalty spot, to meet the ball with his head. 3-1! That was how the game finished, and a result better than my wildest dreams. Would the away goal come to haunt us though?

Before we could travel to Montenegro, and our second trip to the Balkans, we had the not small task of entertaining Haverfordwest in the first league game of the season. More on that later however. Let us continue with The European Bangor Bus for now. I hate to be unfair to our Balkan friends, but Podgorica wasn't as attractive as Bijeljina. Neither was the football really. We went out with a plan to stifle Budućnost. It was my intention not to concede. Tom Price joined Marcus Dackers in a deep role, with Olopade playing his busy box to box role. Liam Edwards and Joey Banks were our only real attack minded players. Francesco was up front, but asked to come deep to get the ball. It is his usual role, but I wantd even more containment from him in this game.

The lads took to my plan with applomb. We were dangerous on the counter and brilliant in defence. Budućnost had chances but they could find no way past the head of Billy Sass-Davies. Billy was outstanding, making four key headers to deny the opposition. At the other end it all came down to our talisman. Francesco latched on to the rebound from a Steve Fairhurst effort to score the only goal of the game and secure our passage in to the Fourth Qualifying round; the furthest we have gone in Europe.

05EC2CQ3L1BuducnostPodgorica10823.thumb.png.20ebf65bd50685ad7ec45d44707a8507.png  05EC2CQ3L2BuducnostPodgorica17823.thumb.png.4a0bcc2248f397865dc3eb9c64a71799.png

It was just a question of who we would meet in the next round now.  The draw had taken place between the legs, and it had seemed at the time that it had not been kind to us. We were drawn to face either Apollon Limassol of Cyprus or Videoton. Yes, the same Videoton that were easy winners over us in the CL qualifiers. What I hadn't understood was that we would face the loser. Their tie was taking place in the CL qualifiers. After beating us, Videoton had lost convincingly to Young Boys. With that loss that they had gone into the qualifiers for the Europa League, and that is where they faced Apollon. Videoton won 6-3 and sent Apollon to the Euro Cup II. I'm new to this, okay.

despicable me laughing GIF

So, off to Cyprus we were. Some summer sun. There was also the league to worry about around the two games to come, but, again, I will focus on that later. Limassol would be a totally different proposition to Budućnost, and we would have to be at our very best to beat them. I believed though. Saying that, I was cautious and I don't think that rubbed off too well on the lads when I mentioned it in a press conference. Did it have a big effect on the result we achieved in the first leg in Cyprus? Maybe.

We didn't hold our heads too high when we played in Limassol, and I'm not even going to entertain suggesting the chairman's decision to fly budget was responsible. Not even remotely. We just never got going. There is also the fact that I should pay more attention in scouting meetings. It might then have come as less of a surprise to me when I saw Christian Benteke line up at the start of the game (real life addition - I honestly hadn't realised).

sport GIF by Play Sports

Benteke - probably the best player we have faced yet

Christian made sure I knew he was there fifteen minutes in, outjumping my entire defence to head home. We were set up the same as we had been for the trip to Podgorica, but now I had to decide whether to risk playing with more adventure. Did we take 0-1 or try and equalise? I went middle of the road before half time, sticking with the same formation but being more risky. It kept us 0-1 down at the break. I told the lads they had to do better at half time, but six minutes in we were two down. Didn't Podgorica pull one back on fifty-one too? A blind spot? Anyway, we failed to clear the ball from a corner and their midfielder knocked home an easy second. I changed things up after that goal but we failed to get anything for our efforts, but nor did we concede again. We'd have it all to do in Wrexham.

I decided to revert back to our usual attacking set up for the home leg. We had to score twice, but I believed we could. Young Joey Banks' form had taken a downturn, plus he was knackered, so in came Poch Jnr. Price had also not been playing well and was replaced by Cauterucci. Apollon seemed to be content to sit back and we went at them from the first whistle. Queue my delight six minutes in. Serafino lays up Poch on the right and the winger runs in to space. On the edge of the box he sends in a deep cross right on to the head of Liam Edwards. Our record signing made no mistake. 1-0 Bangor. Now for number two.

Sadly, calamity struck us halfway through the half. My defence fell asleep and Benteke drifted in to the box unopposed to fire home one of the easiest goals he will ever score. Why would any defence give that man that much room? We now had to score three more. To give the lads respect, we didn't back off the task, and cameras for S4C will forver show me in delirium when the Cypriot's keeper fumbled a tame Sass-Davies header to give us back the lead. It was right before half time. Maybe the best moment to score. At least, that is what they say.

"It's in your hands now, lads." That was my message in the changing room. Things took a turn for the worse in the fifty-fourth minute. Limassol swung a corner in and the ball sailed harmlessly over the box to go out for a throw. But no, the ref was pointing to the spot. It was Martin Atkinson, the dingo. Olopade was being punished for backing in to the Limassol forward. Never a penalty in a hundred years. Should they score then we had been robbed. Rybus stepped up. Easy. 2-2 and we had it all to do. I was furious and I'll be surprised if I'm not before a board for my protestations. We upped the ante even more, but hope was gone really. Limassol hit us on the break, Benteke scored a second, and we were out.

Credit to the lads. We played so well, but history only shows we lost. Full attention on the league.

05EC2CQ4ApollonLimassol24823.thumb.png.85b48b38caf9521f9ac4c4dc41e5b3a9.png  05EC2CQ4ApollonLimassol31823.thumb.png.4dc89937bdab31122337ec4f08b14289.png

~~~

The 2023-24 Welsh Premier League kicks off

I mentioned the Haverfordwest game earlier, and that was indeed our opener to the league season. We had just come from a good win over Budućnost Podgorica and confidence was high. Sadly, so was tiredness. I made no changes, but I could see from the get go that the lads were struggling. The match was decided late, Serafino giving us the lead and Sass-Davies doubling it after the Pemrokeshire team had equalised through former target Tom Dyson. It had been a penalty and another curious one when the Haverfordwest forward hit the ground like Neymar. We had still looked like taking three points when former Bangorite Davide Salvatore swung a late, late cross on to the head of unmarked Daniel Griffiths to send 'West level. Despite the obvious tiredness, I wasn't happy.

Up next was a tough tie at Barry Town. Despite the tricky opposition I had to make changes. Kelly came in for Owens and Price for Dackers. Up front I gave Fairhurst his chance. The youngster didn't really take that chance, but we secured a point through a Liam Edwards header. I was not happy with McGill's fumble for the Barry equaliser, but I'd take the point at a genuine title contender.

Game three was at home to newly promoted Port Talbot Town, and surely a chance to test our goal scoring boots. This was the best I have seen us play in some time, possibly since the Cardiff thrashing in March. Liam Edwards was absolutely sublime in notching a hat-trick, and Sass-Davies got another with his head to give us a 4-0 win. All Liam's goals were with his head, and with the form he is in I might have to move him up front. Our talisman is struggling currently. Liam is on eight for the season already.

05WPLM1HaverfordwestCounty13823.thumb.png.bd3d3ef8ac75f545ad55133f84be1237.png  05WPLM2BarryTown20823.thumb.png.a8550152b0c43f1b3ae9d8c7149ed75d.png

05WPLM3PortTalbotTown27823.thumb.png.a60d386a8845e30cd1b1ecde1dd0f0a7.png

Following on from that, I can only give my Player Of The Month award to Liam. We paid another £2k to TNS for him this month, but he has been worth every penny we put in to securing him at Bangor. He is fast becoming a legend for the Bangor Blue Army.

WPLAug23.thumb.png.ceceadc4a2c2dc529bea108ca308149e.png

JD Sports (time for a new sponsor - the actual sponsor) Welsh Premier League as at 16.30, Sunday 27th August 2023

Next up is Albion Rovers and our entry into the Irn-Bru Cup. It will be interesting to test ourselves against a team going good guns in the Scottish Second. September continues with games against Cefn Druids, Prestatyn Town, Cardiff Met Uni and Aberystwyth. The transfer window closes in two days too. Will there be any new faces at Bangor?

You'll have to wait and see. Eyes peeled.

GIF by South Park

September 2023

September started with some transfer news. Tyler Donovan moved on loan to Llandudno and there was a new face at Nantporth, at least this time as a Bangor player. This lad visited us at the end of July and had a good game, despite his team losing 6-1. We welcome the Andorran Xavi to North Wales. Abraham Lozano is a tricky and pint-sized midfielder. Only 19, I believe he has a strong future ahead of him. At the time of writing this he already has 15 full caps for Andorra and I believe has the potential to massively improve.

271540805_AbrahamLozano.thumb.png.51fccaed15a18a5bd3e7a0c94d5a65e8.png

Moving on, and with our European Bangor Bus adventures over for another season, we went into September looking to kick start our league campaign. First, however, was a trip to Scotland and an Irn-Bru Cup tie with Albion Rovers. I had made a few changes, but we were truly awful in this match. A first half goal was all it took for Albion Rovers to win the tie. I was not too disappointed to be out of this cup, but I was disappointed with the performance. I expect more from my players, and I told them so.

05IBR2AlbionRovers9923.thumb.png.7c1c10340097cf17779afc687ff80c0f.png

I begged for more from the lads for our next game away to Cefn Druids but I felt we were equally poor. The brilliant Liam Edwards of last months eems to have gone missing, and with Serafino struggling to find the net we have lost our ruthless scoring touch. All we could manage at Cefn was a draw, with Marcus Dacker rescuing a point for us late in the day.

Up next in a busy week was newly promoted Prestatyn Town. Our performance was slightly improved but we could only stroll to a 2-1 win. Sass-Davies and Joey Banks scored the goals for us, but I was disappointed to concede a Prestatyn goal that left the last twenty minutes jittery.

Abraham Lozano was settling in well at Nantporth. He was taking an intensive language course, whilst being made to feel welcome by the Spanish speaking Poch Jnr, and had his best game yet against Cardiff the next weekend. We opened the scoring through Serafino from the penlaty spot, and I hoped it might help Francesco to find some confidence in front of goal. Our lead was then doubled by a fantastic free kick from the Andorran Xavi. It curled in to the corner, way beyond the outstretched arms of the Cardiff keeper. Again we conceded a late goal but still secured a 2-1 win. Whilst we're winning, I'm not happy with the performances. We don't seem our usual slick self, and I chose to have a word with the lads on the Monday after the Cardiff game. They feel they can't do any better, but I know they can and hopefully the anger they felt at my words will spur them on.

It rather did against Aberystwyth. The first half was poor, and Liam Edwards was especially so again. I was so angry with his performance that fater he missed a sitter I dragged him off for Poch Jnr. It changed our game, and we ended up romping home to a 4-1 win. We had ended a slow first half 1-0 up, Joey Banks scoring again with a cute finish to a marvellous Owens cross. That was the highlight of the first forty-five though. Like I said, I had had enough of Edwards lacklustre display by the sixtieth minute and Poch Jnr replaced him. Just three minutes later Poch set up another for Banks to finish with his head. We were now cruising, and Poch got on the scoresheet himself a couple of minutes later, latching on to a peach of a Lozano through ball. Again we conceded, but Cauterucci made it four with a late breakaway goal.

It was our best performance for some time. Maybe my words really had had the effect I thought they might have. We'll know for certain in a week as we face a TNS side that have won seven straight.

05WPLM4CefnDruids16923.thumb.png.4b82e7fd085be09aa412235c67f1c43b.png  05WPLM5PrestatynTown19923.thumb.png.1b9385798b251f8f9f31ede9cee583e4.png

05WPLM6CardiffMetUni23923.thumb.png.138bd969ee9603b7b8510764c9969d43.png  05WPLM7AberystwythTown29923.thumb.png.c59d613c3bbb59ecd875c077a5bccbfc.png

My Player Of The Month goes to young Joey Banks. He's had a cracking start to his Bangor career and has kept the likes of Poch Jnr and Delvecchio out of the side. Joey has a bright future ahead of him.

the simpsons GIF

WPLSep23.thumb.png.7aec2eb0d16f1f391de1deaac0450cc0.png

JD Sports Welsh Premier League as 18.00, Saturday 30th September 2023

As I said, October marks our first game of the season against our great rivals, TNS. The Aber game gives us some confidence, but this will be a tough game. TNS are on fire. We also face Colwyn Bay, another team that have had a good start. Nobody expected that start from the Bay.

October 2023

(plus a match in November because I've been a bit unwell and forgot to do a cut off league table at the end of October - not on full faculties right now :stop:)

October started with a tough visit to our unbeaten rivals The New Saints. I wasn't confident going into this really. At least, I'd be lieing if I said I was. TNS were in rampnat form and they might just have set about reasserting their dominance in this league after last season. That didn't mean we wouldn't be doing all we could to beat them of course. I sent the lads out in our usual counter attacking IF formation, but had defence in mind. However, things started as badly as they possibly could when TNS wing back Samuli Virtanen danced through my defence unopposd and slotted the ball past Tommy McGill. I was not happy at how we have caved so easily and urged the team to put more effort in. We did start to put a little more passing together bvut were being roughed off the ball consistently by a more physical than expected TNS side. I was furious on more than one occaison to see my wide men hacked down and the ref give no punishment.

Someone must have had a chat with the referee at half time because two minutes in to the second half we got a penalty. Serafino was hacked down on the edge of the box and he dutifully stepped up to take the spot kick. He had been fouled horrendously towards the end of the first half and I had almost taken him off at half time. I wished I had when he put a tame penalty well within reach of the TNS keeper. He failed to move for any possible deflection either, and TNS cleared comfortably. Our talisman came off soon after, with me thinking that perhaps the kock had affected him more than I'd considered. Try as we might, we failed to equalise and we went home on the end of a defeat. That, however, was not before I had mde my feelings clear about the TNS roughness to the press. Eat that, Scott Ruscoe. Yes, we still don't really get on.

episode 7 GIF by South Park  05WPLM8TheNewSaints71023.thumb.png.221dd8c15e6ac7441cd381c9eae720f8.png

With TNS behind us, next up saw us welcome second placed Colwyn Bay to Nantporth. The Bay were having their best season by far since they left the English leagues. They should have been easily beatable though, and I sent the lads out with attack in mind. Serafino's injury was indeed more serious than I thought, and Liam Edwards took his place in attack. Poch Jnr filled in on the left. We well and truly trounced the Bay. Edwards and Banksy had us 2-0 up before half time, and Banksy, again, and a Price penalty saw us score four. We conceded a consolation again, and we need to stop doing that. It was a nice come back from the TNS game though.

Easier away games at Connah's Quay and Haverfordwest would finish October, but they proved to be tighter affairs than I had thought. I was just pleased we conceded in neither . A belter from Dackers and Steve Fairhurst's first goal for the club beat Quay, before Steve's second goal secured the points in Pembrokeshire.

November came around much quicker than I thought it would, and before I could take stock of how we were doing we were welcoming Barry Town to North Wales. We were all over Barry, but our conversion of possession to attempts on target seemed to have stayed in the changing rooms. It took us until the seventieth minute for our new wonderkid Banksy to head home a Poch cross. Barry came back at us but their finishing was as bad as ours. It wasn't a game for the purists, but it was three points that keep us somewhat in touch with our rivals.

05WPLM9ColwynBay141023.thumb.png.26b8f55156df4fbee9e3e637be69890d.png  05WPLM10ConnahsQuay201023.thumb.png.35373725579bfc87feb35c8dc91ac3a3.png

05WPLM11Haverfordwest281023.thumb.png.c164b824be14c636adf772ced77f4d2f.png  05WPLM12BarryTown31123.thumb.png.047e92fe557054739de1339ac70dd0e8.png

My Player Of The Month award for October goes to young Bansky. He just keeps getting better and better with games. He is now on nine goals for the season and has secured himself a huge new contract. I couldn't deny him really. He wanted a bit more than I had wanted to give him, but I paid it out to keep him at the club for three more years. I wonder how long it will be before bigger clubs notice him, or if they even do? Could Banksy be our first big fee received one day?

WPLOct23.thumb.png.86567900e1d6d171da02241b367d3224.png

JD Sports Welsh Premier League as at 21.30, Friday 3rd November 2023

Well, next up is the third round of the Welsh Cup, and a relatively easy tie as we welcome Cymru South (my save started in beta and there were issues with North Wales teams being placed in the Cymru South and vice versa) side Corwen to Nantporth. We actually faced the minnows in a friendly back in July and ran out 3-0 winners. I'll mix up the team for this one and give some fringe players a go. Then it's back to Port Talbot and Prestatyn in the league whilst we wait for TNS to slip up.

Mr Bean Waiting GIF by moodman

November 2023

It seems I sparked a bit of debate early in November when I noticed the Charlton job was available. Thinking I'd see how my reputation was faring, I signalled my interest in the job.

05_me_charltonquery.thumb.png.56b146923a7e7e1ff6861f6aef18af67.png

I know, Rich. I was the one who said it, fool...

A short while later I got the following news.

05_me_Iloveu2Bangor.thumb.png.ce90c4cd1524584cd12f95e22666a237.png

Yes, I love you too, Bangor. A man has to have dreams though.

Ultimately Charlton hired the traveller, Ian Holloway. There had to be a snide remark though.

05_me_iwontheWPLdamnu.thumb.png.9924973934d0f675562ca67810e01129.png

I won the Welsh Premier League, you know? Peasants...

Just to prove my ability, a few days later Glentoran and Dungannon Swifts approached me. Both are in the relegation zone in Northern Ireland and Glentoran lost to TNS in the Europa League. "No thanks", I said. I still got it...

bart simpson episode 21 GIF

#####

A few days later I decided I had better focus on the visit of Corwen in the cup. We were massive favourites and I decided to play some fringe players. In came Brino, young center back Watson, Rea, Beck, Wandless (who'd still not shone really) and old favourite Agyemang.

We were awful. Corwen opened the scoring with us struggling to find any sort of form. The players being fringe was no excuse. We were still better than these pretenders and I gave out a bit of the old hairdryer treatment at the break. Back on the park, Fairhurst stormed through on to a Tom Price searcher to make it one-all, but we failed to find the break through before the ninety was up. That plonker Price even managed to get himself sent off in injury time for a horrendous tackle. But, in to extra time it went. I sacrificed a defender to keep three in midfield and went for it. I thought it had paid dividends near the end. We were piling pressure on the Corwen goal and a headed clearance fell to Alan Wandless who hit a superb first time volley in to the back of the net. I say thought. Corwen picked up a free kick for a nothing foul and their right back hammered home a beauty. Their right back! Are you kidding me?

Penalties it was then. It's eight each and up steps the Corwen keeper. Brino saves! We're through, but we made hard work of it. My back up needs work.

05WCR3Corwen111123.thumb.png.273679c5ebeba7994b96e53e517b9333.png

#####

Then it was back to the league a week later. I wanted more from the first teamers, and did I get it, or what? He's back!

Fx Networks Comedy GIF by Cake FX

Our talisman is back doing what he does. First it was Port Talbot and a Serafino in scintillating form. We were dominant and ran out 6-1 winners, Serafino with four and Poch and Owens completing the rout. It's only a shame we conceded a late consolation. How many times will I say that this season?

A week later and the talisman was at it again. This time it was the visit of Prestatyn and the press had hyped the newboys up. The seasiders recent league form had been good and the media were trying to stir up a bit of a rivalry between me and their boss man, Neil Gibson. It didn't work, and they should stick to writing match reports. They did manage to boost the Prestatyn player's confidence though, the gits, and we were one down after an incredible eighteen seconds. It took a bit of urging, but that prompted the talisman. Another penalty in the twenty-first minute and a lovely finish to make it three before half time. Poch had gotten our second after a lovely through ball from Olopade. The second half was a borefest but we held on to take the points.

05WPLM13PortTalbotTown181123.thumb.png.608fab4fa1330929f81222ae36db2ec1.png  05WPLM14PrestatynTown241123.thumb.png.20ac4343f4c93f6790b7e7d88ef516d9.png 

How can I give my Player Of The Month to anyone but Serafino after those two games? It's so good to see him scoring like that again. Then, just as I was daydreaming of the goals he'd score against TNS, came this match on S4C.

05_TNS2PT2_251123.thumb.png.4870b799da0ba6024485980bb0290243.png

They'd slipped up again, at last. That makes it a little closer.

WPLNov23.thumb.png.da8d87361b04a7d724bb3248bf9b4fe9.png

JD Sports Welsh Premier League as at 16.00, Sunday 26th November 2023

December will be a busy month. Cefn, Aber and Bala at home and Cardiff away. But I can't forget the tie of the month. It's us against the gits at Nantporth. The talisman will shine. I have a surprise for you, TNS.

michael caine GIF

I hope I ain't building too much pressure on him...

Nervous Laugh GIF by memecandy

What a funny couple of days at Bangor. The chairman is an idiot. I don't know what the owner thought. Hadn't seen his little Fiat for a few days. They only went and bloody did it...

planet of the apes GIF

I hear you asking questions. "What the hell is going on?" You're saying.

05_me_finalstory.thumb.png.0c4957c4755c3eb7e0fd922a29e4ea30.png

"Why?"

Oh, you are quite right to ask.

The other day my press officer sent me a little tinkle down the line. Press officer? The kid's barely out of nappies. I think he's the chairman's nephew, or something. "Check your emails", he said.

What did I find but a little message from the chairman of Newport County inviting me to interview for the vacant manager's job at Rodney Parade. County were languishing in 19th in the Vanarama National, but they had been predicted fifth. It would be a step up and I accepted the offer. It could do no harm, right?

I felt I gave myself a chance of the job, and having a look at the team online I feel I could do something down in South Wales.

I went to bed with a smile on me face but woke up to something I really didn't expect. The chairman wanted to see me, and I headed in to work wondering if he was putting some money in to take us to the next level, or something.

"Boss?"

"What's this I hear about you approaching Newport County? It's totally unprofessional."

"Unprofessional?" I asked. "They approached me. Do you really expect me not to entertain a chance at improving myself?"

"We expect you to be professional." He folded his arms and leaned back, a glint in his eye. "Why shouldn't we sack you? Give me one reason."

The git. "When have I not been professional?" I asked. "I've given you the Welsh Premier League. A journey in Europe that has brought you riches. The fans love me. The players love me. You want to throw all that way over one interview for a club I didn't even approach?"

angry monty python GIF

Yeah, my pleas went unheard.

Welcome to job-hunting land, Nid Rikson.

I suppose I'd outgrown Bangor really. Winning the league was an achievement. Just edging TNS was hard work. I bet even Scott Ruscoe was surprised when he heard I was gone. I almost hope they wipe that smug grin off the chairman's face next weekend now.

No, I'll always love Bangor City. Happy memories.

Can't help but feel aggrieved, but pastures new.

the hobbit film GIF

Let us see what's through this window...

New Horizons - A Walk On The Wiltshire Side

Swindon is perhaps most famous for its roundabout; a monstrosity of traffic engineering that takes the form of five little satellite roundabouts rotating around a star roundabout. I hope I don't have to drive on it.

image.jpeg.17a556658bf9757dafe1966157b432c5.jpeg

Swindon's Magic Roundabout; the town's claim to fame

In January 2024 Swindon claimed a new resident. Me.

05_me_SwindonTownjob.thumb.png.0fc8a384d6f05c1795d218264c830bf8.png

After my disgraceful sacking by the cowardly Bangor board I have come to pastures new to make a name for myself. Wiltshire. I arrive with the Robins sitting bottom of League Two with five wins. The league is pretty tight at the bottom and a few wins could see us climb to a comfortable 19th, but we need to turn around a disastrous run of form that has seen the club take one point since the start of November. The team have only scored 15 goals too, and that needs to be remedied.

I take my first training session on the Thursday morning and realise just how much work I have ahead of me. Swindon have so many players. You'd be hard pressed to find enough room for them on the plains of Africa. I immediately asked the chairman - Tony Kleanthous; a man of Cypriot parentage who once owned Barnet - if we couldn't perhaps have an U23 squad. He wisely agreed and I now have a skip pool to assess the ability of those too old for the U19s but not ready for the first team.

Taking a break to admire the town, I go over my notes in a local cafe. If only I had players as iconic as the town's architecture. Much like Swindon, we might need to borrow some inspiration from elsewhere. There are a few of the old lads at Bangor that might just follow me here, and whom will fit in perfectly.

Iconic building at Swindon station has a brighter future as ...

Swindon's most iconic building, at the train station...

Keepers

Jonny Maxted is our clear number one and he is backed up by a young lad who came through the Everton youth ranks in Harry Tryer. It's not the most emergency area. Those two can suffice for now.

1651035218_JonnyMaxted.thumb.png.c583be1e085218bcf833e937a8578e30.png  813925878_HarryTryer.thumb.png.4998274acfacca2e379a3d0af99ce620.png

Defenders

Our defence is a more worrying area. I did not like what i saw in training. The only real leader we have in defence is a right winger, who I want bombing up the wing. We need a strong center back, but for now my choice is limited. Akim Famewo is new to the Swindon squad this season. He is by far our best defender, and his back up needs addressing. To challenge for places we have Cameron James, Scotsman Luc Bollan and the injured Nortei Nortey who started at Chelsea but had never played above National League level before he joined Swindon. Lewis Crawford is the one youngster that might give me food for thought.

The rest of the defensive players need to impress me in training or friendlies I will be arranging for the U23s.

1878043554_AkinFamewo.thumb.png.3a1b495ca06a1f92abd963fc8bba801c.png  1621805306_CameronJames.thumb.png.7417c94985fedcf2a658e73141babac6.png

1687800889_NorteiNortey.thumb.png.23e4a486f8a82d7c11c9957210608ea4.png  1430646462_LucBollan.thumb.png.f020035d4289bcbd23acaa1a89d96a1b.png

1003728800_LewisCrawford.thumb.png.ee85db8e49bc8a9306da3a652b2430fb.png

Fullbacks

At fullback we have Rob Hunt and Zeki Fryers, who played twice for Manchester United but is now 31, Lewis Page, Dion Donohue and Reece Talley, who is by far our most exciting prospect.

933914032_RobHunt.thumb.png.398b3459cc34509eb78a1e77d1b8ff4b.png  1072677333_ZekiFryers.thumb.png.a5ca1dab1b98e6e28b8a18a1163673b9.png

497233376_LewisPage.thumb.png.db95b6d8ffed1390b92bf538149c6c8a.png  1751643268_DionDonohue.thumb.png.6fcf095a4bf396e8e28e2c8e3c2b106e.png

108205344_ReeceTalley.thumb.png.e3044e6d760f53d661b6ccb713b83158.png

Midfield

Midfield is where we are strongest, but we are also very defensively minded here too. Cameron Hill is young, with potential, and will play in defensive midfield. Tom Brewitt and Michael Doughty are more experienced and will make up the engine room. With regard to back up for those three I am rather starved. Ralph Graham is young and inexperienced and Juergen Elitim is strangely on loan at Dulwich Hamlet. I will look into bringing Juergen back, but I know I need reinforcements and someone more attacking.

1155235011_CameronHill.thumb.png.60e3084b8c2ed268f451087b6817d041.png  335987388_TomBrewitt.thumb.png.ae7b3c0eff39405db4cb1add6d96bb3e.png

1059401932_MichaelDoughty.thumb.png.33e24d1ec05007f0a7b50bb3201382be.png  1006510519_RalphGraham.thumb.png.53aeef2da4128bc59d2bb3d3799d1d3b.png

2059098334_JuergenElitim.thumb.png.99e43a54db07f39d6cf04ffde1d68b48.png

Forwards

Our forward potential is not heartening, neither central or wide. I am seeing why we have only scored 15 times this season. Lloyd Isgrove and Wayne Chitty are wingers, with Chitty possibly able to fill a central role for the first team. When it comes to inside forwards or strikers I am not swamped for choice. Our most likely source for goals is probably Andy Ryan and Kaiyne Woolery, though Woolery is injured currently. Cameron Salkeld is a utility player that seems to have had a few games under the last manager, but I'm not convinced after one session of training. There are some youngsters that have holes in their skillsets, but Pete Wood could do a job. Other than the on loan Elitim that is probably it.

1633661609_LloydIsgrove.thumb.png.3b0d8b275af48a42ce08932eb62fe34c.png  395961004_WayneChitty.thumb.png.e98c4ee83a7232dec6911d8ae86b3db3.png

946037636_AndyRyan.thumb.png.9f30306776b1949b94193e4b7fda11d7.png  82207781_KaiyneWoolery.thumb.png.83ec264037bdf90ae45768c5bbcdd883.png

1616061110_CameronSalkeld.thumb.png.67a3000cda6edeea213366c99720184a.png  2122007081_PeteWood.thumb.png.ee5436c343f94e2b98ca6de54c050a65.png

We're mid transfer window so there is time for reinforcements, but not before our first game at Port Vale in two days. Time to get back to work and get these lads playing.

athletic work out GIF

It's a walrus...I think.

God help me.

Edited by anagain

January 2024

We havent had a good start. Defensively we are a shambles, and our inability to score is startlingly evident. My first game in charge was up the road in Stoke as we visited Port Vale. Vale were just a point above us in 23rd, and could we beat them it would be a fantastic result.

That didn't happen. We started about as badly as I might have feared. We were three down within half an hour. The first goal a counter from our own corner, the second a keeper fumble, and for the third we allowed a free header in the box. Whilst this team needs encouragement, it also needs to be lambasted for being terrible, and they were. After some words at the break the lads actually improved and we scored the first goal of my tenure through Tom Brewitt.

Next up was a trip to second placed Oldham and a result I feared would be horrendous for confidence. We lost 2-1 but I thought we played well. Much better than I expected and an encouraging result for our prospects.

Three days later was my first game at The County Ground, with the visit of mid table Cambridge. I wanted us to put on a good show to prove my intentions and grabbed ourselves a point, despite having Cameron Hill sent off for a second yellow. We conceded early but Tom Brewitt was again our hero with a long ranger to secure the point. I'm still concerned about our scoring ability, but Juergen Elitim looked promising after having been recalled from Dulwich.

05EFLL2M1PortVale20124.thumb.png.872c39a070588f7f7a2dcc3a4fb684e6.png  05EFLL2M2OldhamAthletic27124.thumb.png.146d748b703854b668f39aaf0084a16f.png

05EFLL2M3CambridgeUnited30124.thumb.png.606db8c2eea28d62a9b51922fc66fb03.png

My first Player Of The Month at Swindon goes to Tom Brewitt for his two goals in my first three matches. He has been the outstanding performer for me so far.

EFLLeague2_Jan24.thumb.png.ee758c732c4721ab629c932f0085ee27.png

EFL League Two as at 22.00, Tuesday 30th January 2024

Transfer Window

With so few days at the club, and bizarrely no scouts, improving my squad proved harder than I imagined. I'd scouted a few of the old lads at Bangor (I do have a chief scout) and they were deemed not good enough. I might still take a gamble if we drop down, but for now I looked elsewhere. Wages are the issue. I tried to offload some of my new U23 squad but had real problems doing so, and I now know there will be a lot of free transfer this summer. I only managed to offload one player, whilst two youngsters went out on loan. Then came the bids for my better players.

Lincoln City bid for right back Cameron James and I felt I couldn't stand in the way of him with us being so perilous. I managed to get a few thousand more but the transfer upset fellow right back Rob Hunt. Then came a huge bid of £250k for Reece Talley from Swansea. I figured it too good to be true, grabbed another £30k and accepted the bid. That was when the board stepped in and said £280k wasn't enough. They wanted £350k and so cancelled the transfer. I'd had plans for that money, but oh well.

Coming in we have just two loan signings. This club really needed to have done more before I got here. Mike Robinson is a center back from Brum and Reece Tobin a right winger from Luton. Both were recommendations from my director of football and very much gambles. I hope they work out.

2065186393_MikeRobinson.thumb.png.b2b4c74d7bac3fe79d911921207f10d0.png  154332717_ReeceTobin.thumb.png.cd29b9d999a1a56151c80e64c15ca138.png

We welcome 7th placed Northampton to Wiltshire in a few days. Can we grab our first win? We're deep in it and need to.

In Trouble Ugh GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

February 2024

We went in to February badly needing points on the board. Performances have been improving, and I believe we have the ability. It's just a case of showing it.

There was a little transfer movement at the start of February with three youngsters securing loan moves to hopefully impress me with performances. A free signing was finalised on the incoming side too. Fankaty Dabo signed as cover for the right back position. He may not be a strong enough signing to convince Rob Hunt, but if we go down it will be unlikely to matter. We just needed numbers for the final push. Fankaty is a full back in his prime years that can play anywhere across the back four. Interestingly, he started at Swindon eight years ago, so it's a homecoming for Fankaty.

1058728556_FankatyDabo.thumb.png.4c5cffa2ce7a43548d121fccefe1363e.png

With the window closed it was a straight run in to the end of the season. We only have the league to worry about, so full focus from here on out. First up was Northampton at home and a team pushing for the play offs. We had a lot of possession and a fair number of efforts on goal but struggled to make anything of those statistics. Two first half goals for the Cobblers left us with everything to do in the second period. We had some hope when Elitim raced on to an absolute peach of a Ryan through ball to score his first of the season for us, but we couldn't get a second to tie the match. We deserved more from the match, so this was a rather disappointing result.

A week later we were on the road to Lancashire and an away tie at Morecambe. The Shrimps were another team battling in the top half and I expected a tough game. It would have been nice if we'd put in a performance to match the toughness of the game, but we were truly dire. This is the most annoyed I have been with the lads. Fail we might, but I expect better than this performance. We lost 2-0 but were well and truly battered really. Maxted made a huge error for the first goal, and my front players had all the potency of heavily watered down whiskey.

The games were coming thinck and fast in the middle of February and we knew we had to be better when we welcomed Gillingham to The County ground three days laters. The Gills were not faring hugely better than us and I had this down as a must win game. It must have been something I said because we were on fire from the off. Akin Famewo's head connected with a Doughty corner in the sixth minute and it was 1-0. All we had to do now was keep up the concentration and the performance. Sadly, no one told young Luc Bollan that as he collected his second yellow of the match for a totally uneccessary shirt grab before the half hour was even up. I was furious, and we now had to defend of our lives to secure the points.

Michael Doughty was the sacrifice to bring on Mike Robinson for his first Swindown game, and I must say he and the rest of our defensive players put their bodies on the line to keep our lead until the 77th minute. That was when a second goal came, but it wasn't The Gills. Robinson was bundled to the floor as a corner was swung in and Andy Ryan did his duty in tucking away the spot kick.

We had a win! We also jumped Vale.

great success win GIF

There were two more games in the final week of February and both proved to be tight affairs away from home. For both trips, first to Accrington and then to Macclesfield, I set up deep; Brewitt partnering Hill in defensive midfield and Doughty roaming ahead of them. We defended magnificently in both games. The Stanley game finished 0-0 and the Macc game 1-1. I thought we deserved more at Macc, but it wasn't to be. I'll take two points from two trips, even if we are now bottom again.

05EFLL2M4NorthamptonTown3224.thumb.png.928e5e9666de96ce38fd7dbfe042ab76.png  05EFLL2M5Morecambe10224.thumb.png.76e5833e76b6a24349822e68ea5e06a1.png

05EFLL2M6GillinghamTown13224.thumb.png.3ce4bc3be73106beeb42ccf20b91b9a1.png  05EFLL2M7AccringtonStanley17224.thumb.png.5276c005261c5f50f12ee640aff4c7c7.png

05EFLL2M8MacclesfieldTown24224.thumb.png.1eebacafd7a68f780f896cb8bcdb7d54.png

EFLL2_Feb24.thumb.png.a8c22f67b579719ac5b6018bf6f35648.png

EFL League Two as at 18.00, Saturday 24th February 2024

So, who do I name as my Player Of The Month for a Frebruary in which we grabbed our first win? I think i will give the award to Akin Famewo. It was a close run thing this month, but Akim takes it for his scintillating match-winning performance in the Gills win.

Can we keep this form going in March? We have trips to Wycombe, Boston and Woking and we entertain Crawley, Cheltenham and York at the County Ground. Sadly, Wycombe and Boston are both away. Both teams are battling relegation and a win over Wycombe, especially, would really narrow the gap we have seen develop.

Up the Robins!

dick grayson film GIF

Wrong Robin, fool!

Edited by anagain

March 2024

After our good end to February, the whole team wanted to keep our run going in to March. We welcomed Crawley Town to the County Ground first. In what was a tight game, in which neither team really made the most of chances, the destination of the points was decided by a moment of magic from Michael Doughty. He ran on to a cleared corner and smacked the ball home on the half volley to take us above a Vale team that had lost at Southend.

Next was a trip to Wycombe, the team whose heels we were chasing. It was a cracking affair that we lost the lead in twice. Cameron Hill gave us the lead, smashing home after Doughty had twice had shots blocked. We had deserved that lead but went in level at the break after Tsoukalas had banged home a free kick. We pressed hard in the second half and took the lead again with twenty minutes left. Cameron Salkeld found space on the left and put in a cross that Reece Tobin headed home after arriving late in to the box. It was the first Swindon goal for the youngster who is proving tricky down the right with his pace and control. We couldn't hold the lead though, and Wycombe headed a late equaliser to share the points. We were now just three points behind our target though.

05EFLL2M9CrawleyTown2324.thumb.png.e44f15f0c1a6c77fb4cc1e114944bd4e.png  05EFLL2M10WycombeWanderers9324.thumb.png.0f8338ca3c62c5dd9ac7e3be8e8e13c5.png

A week later marked the start of a busy period of games in the lead up to Easter. Two home games in a week began with the visit of Cheltenham Town . The other Robins, from just up the road, were not having the greatest of seasons, just like us, and this had to go down as a win. It turned out to be another tight affair, but we snatched a priceless three points through Andy Ryan as he snapped home a cracking Isgrove cross. Wycombe lost and we moved to within a goal.

Next up was York City and what turned out to be our best performance of my tenure. Reece Tobin ran on to a looped Cameron Hill ball in to the box and slotted home his second goal for us right at the end of the first period. It was a priceless time to score after a tight first half. It left our confidence on a high note and we really took the game to City after the break. Within seven minutes it was 3-0 and the game was virtually over. Cameron Hill went one better than his assist for the first goal and piledrivered our second goal into the back of the York net. Then Andy Ryan was back on the scoresheet as he slotted home a deflected Tobin cross. Wycombe could only draw at Colchester and we were now two points ahead of the Chairboys.

05EFLL2M11CheltenhamTown16324.thumb.png.21da0d255bf87067559811f7c528aef1.png  05EFLL2M12YorkCity19324.thumb.png.85c75138d98459290b760d6107aaefb5.png

Confidence was high and we took our good form on the road to Lincolnshire to face mid table Boston. The trip back was a quiet one, however, as we went down to two James Shaw goals. They were both weak goals to concede and I had the team working on their defensive positioning for the rest of the week leading up to Easter. The game also saw Tom Brewitt set off for a horrendous two footed challenge. I shall be having words with the young man. His form has dropped recently and now this.

Good Friday saw us head east along the M4 corridor to face the EFL's newest new boys, Woking. The Cardinals had done well in the thier first two seasons and I expected a tough game. We got that, but it was entertaining too. Woking took the lead with a simple tap in from their leading scorer, Gustav Mogensen, but we equalised just three minutes later. Good interchange work by Tobin and Rob Hunt down the work allowed our nippy winger to get a cross in to the box and Andy Ryan was on hand to head home his fifth goal of the campaign.

Shortly before the break we then took the lead. Michael Doughty latched on to an Andy Ryan knockdown and obviously felt he had no choice but to just "try one from distance". The ball flew in to the back of the net from all of thirty yards. The second half saw us tormented constantly by Woking's George Dowling. I really thought he would be the reason why we went back home with nil points. He equalised for the Chairboys, but it was The Robins that proved valiant. Some gorgeous play on the edge of the box between Doughty and Salkeld laid up Ryan to blast home from the left hand edge of the six yard box. We compacted ourselves for the final five minutes and were headed back up the M4 with three points to further our chances of beating the drop. It was a priceless win as Wycombe pulled out a 2-0 victory at Southend.

05EFLL2M13BostonUnited23324.thumb.png.75f4ace02c5787ee3ebf25eaf07769a9.png  05EFLL2M14Woking29324.thumb.png.b3a8b1f086fa302ba26c83eaf7d201cd.png

EFLL2_Mar24.thumb.png.c31f2804c6ef76f8fd240b16a5150a1f.png

EFL League Two as at 18.00, Friday 29th March 2024

After a very good month there are three strong contenders for my Player Of The Month in Tobin, Doughty and Ryan. For me though, Andy Ryan just gets the edge over the other two for his four goals that have supported our rise out of the drop zone.

Youth Intake

March saw the arrival of our newest young recruits. Some of my coaches are raving over the abilities of the stand out candidate, hometown boy Wayne Ashford. I am possibly most excited by Elliott Tewkesbury. I think that, with some work, Elliott could end up banging in the goals for Swindon. Good luck to them and the rest of the lads that will join our youth program.

649538526_WayneAshford.thumb.png.d1461bb169b085329ab0052ce7b2987f.png  12287259_ElliotTewkesbury.thumb.png.cadce6253c6378631a751d98494ed8c3.png

So just five games left of the season and Wimbledon, Chesterfield, Forest Green, Southend and Colchester between us and safety. Our targets are Gillingham and Orient, but should Wycombe lose a few then we could be safe in 22nd. Scarily, Wycombe probably have the easiest run. We have the form though. Don't we? Don't look away, it's a nailbiter.

nervous fresh prince of bel air GIF by Nick At Nite

April 2024

Right In The Thick Of It

Welcome to the biggest - and toughest - month of my career. Five games to decide our destiny. Ultimately we didn't do ourselves justice. We'd had a fantastic month in March, but when it mattered we fell short.

Easter Monday saw us entertain the Wombles and we wanted a win to match our competent display at Woking. Lloyd Isgrove got his first goal since I joined to give us the best possible start. Chasing down a Donohue pass he capitalised on a poor interception and pounced. That was about as good as it got though. Wimbledon were level within ten minutes and won the game with a penalty after Donohue was adjudged to have tripped their player. All I saw was a man fall over. They converted to leave us pointless. When you're in peril luck tends to desert you. That penalty was a shot in the knee. I finally saw the peril that guy in Skyrim must have seen.

At least the players seemed to care. We picked up six bookings in the Wimbledon game and got fined by the FA for failing to control our players. I call it a mix of passion and a terrible referee.

05EFLL2M15AFCWimbledon1424.thumb.png.43832df1b490088018cca687bf903919.png

The media chose this moment to run a relegation battle piece. Six teams enter, one goes home unhappy. Ooh, we're getting all battle to the death here. This is Thunderdome™!

05_Swindon_RelegationScrap.thumb.png.3a7a0dc25cf6b86d2536f2078c1549fc.png  tina turner auntie entity GIF

It didn't look good for us. On paper our run in was the hardest.

Day one of Thunderdome™ came at the weekend as we welcomed play off chasing Chesterfield to the County Ground. On the whole I was happy with our effort, although two players did themselves a massive injustice and, with what I've been through in being forced out of Bangor, they will likely be out of the door this summer. Isgrove was again fantastic in a massive change of form for the winger. Lloyd scored our first after ten minutes, running on to a Rob Hunt cross to fire home. Sadly, Chesterfield were level by the break as my defence failed to deal with a floated cross. The lads went out in the second with renewed vigor, but I finally lost patience with Elitim and Ralph Graham around seventy minutes. They were playing due to injury to Cameron Hill and Brewitt's ban being increased, but they never clicked. We seemed a little more incisive after the changes and found the lead with just a minute of normal time left. Akin Famewo scoring his second of the season from a Doughty corner. Our downfall, however, was not poor performances - though it didn't help - but dealing with crosses. Chesterfield went home with a point late, late in the day through a center back header.

That was indeed an arrow to the knee, and with Wycombe beating Gillingham we were back to square one. Back in the loser takes nothing place.

Day two of Thunderdome™ was away at Forest Green - who were playing at Northampton whislt their stadium was under renovation. They were on paper a much stronger team and they really showed it. They hammered that arrow in to our knee good and proper. The first half was level. It was the second period in which they suddenly showed up. They hammered four past us in a display which I think zapped any confidence the lads might have had. The only player to come out with any credit in my book was Nortei Nortey. Jeurgen Elitim came on in the second half for his last chance. I nearly took him off again.

05EFLL2M16Chesterfield6424.thumb.png.45fa5e645a4a0dfcf639d85d614a8be8.png  05EFLL2M17ForestGreenRovers13424.thumb.png.5d45a58ff7d11480b123a24f20e15b69.png

Thankfully Wycombe and Cheltenham both lost. Gillingham drew, and we still had a chance.

Saturday's game was our easiest of the run in as we hosted Southend United. A win was a must, and we couldn't have started any better. Reece Tobin made an outstanding run in to the box and was felled by a bamboozled defender. Andy Ryan tucked the penalty home, with me looking on nailless, and we had the lead. Our defence again failed to deal with a high ball with about ten minutes left and we were level again, but we went up the other end and Cameron Hill did the same to the Southend defence to give us the lead at the break.

It was events away from the County Ground that did for us in the second half. Our game was quiet and we went on to hold on to the win. Wycombe, however, scored twice to beat York. They overtook Cheltenham who lost to Woking. No one was safe in Thunderdome™ as Gillingham got hammered by Morecambe.

05EFLL2M18SouthendUnited20424.thumb.png.3d798f2ce8eac0dfd467fe7a062c0dc1.png

That set up the final day showdown of showdowns. This really was Thunderdome™!

05_EFLL2_bottom_1gameleft.thumb.png.3f16cd255d80800a14ff835b11570b9d.png  05_EFLL2_RelegationFixtures.thumb.png.c45f2c7a5fb3d153c24c033332f3c7e9.png

Two points between us and Cheltenham, with Gillingham and Wycombe shoved in between. All we had to do was beat Colchester. They were safely in the Play Offs, but a win would do their confidence no end of good. Stanley couldn't make the play offs, and nor could Forest Green. Northampton were also safely in the Play Offs. It would come down to whomsoever of the relegation candidates could bring it on.

Let battle commence.

star wars fighting GIF

Now this is where we ultimately failed. True, we didn't have the best news going in to the game.

05_Swindon_FamewoInj.thumb.png.b0197f1eb3ae5b362c0e8a23d8ea1456.png

I didn't think much of Akin when I joined Swindon, but he came to prove himself with some dominating performances. I don't like to give injections, but this time it was a must. I think he agreed.

And back to the game. We were 3-0 down by just after the half hour mark. We were awful and could barely string a pass together. I think we had one chance in that half. I believe I rocked them in the changing room, and there was a glimmer in their eyes as we headed back out. Gills and Wycombe were leading and Cheltenham were two down. It looked like a battle between us and the boys just up the road.

To our credit we gave it a go in the second. Lloyd Isgrove certainly did as he scored twice. Cameron Hill looked up for it. Sadly Andy Ryan and Tom Brewitt were well off the pace. Tom had been a star for us when I first arrived. I don't know what happened to him. Wycombe and Gillingham went on to secure safety and our own charge ended at 4-2.

05EFLL2M19ColchesterUnited27424.thumb.png.6a88736a3389387fe8931eb21194084c.png

Relegation. I find myself typing Swindown quite often. I think it was prophecy. Ultimately the book was written when we arrived, but March had given me hope. To go on and have such a bad April, as we did, was a real gutwrench.

In the most consolation-feeling award I have given, Lloyd Isgrove wins my Player Of The Month for April. He finally showed what he has threatened since I joined the club. His four goals in April was a sole sunbeam on a drizzly afternoon.

EFLL2_Final2324.thumb.png.adb7a743100e6fbff2fe131f87a66325.png

EFL League Two Final Table 2023-2024

So where do we go from here? Well, other than down to the Conference? Big scale changes will be needed. I hope I can keep ahold of the likes of Famewo, Hill and Doughty. My sole signing of the window - that wasn't on loan - was Dabo and he impressed me. If Rob Hunt leaves then I will happily accept Dabo as number one right back. One thing is for certain next year. We need to score more goals.

Now we just see if the board keep me on. I'd like a chance to bring these guys back up.

george burns GIF by Warner Archive

Maybe I'll do a season stats, but it's hard to seperate out performances under my reign. I'll be back for a crack at the Conference though.

Edited by anagain

Awards and Stats

05_Swindon_EoSAwards.thumb.png.a7aa2af954a2012d0632f5caf7fee081.png  05_EFLL2_GotS.thumb.png.8731b2bd02178958f473a9f417acf702.png

I can't argue with the above. Doughty's goal came third in the overall League Two award.

When it comes to player of the season maybe League Two has no awards. Maybe because I got relegated they didn't bother to let me know.

With regards to player stats for the season, here is the chart. Bear in mind a lot of the one appearances happened before I got here. Yes, they really did have all those players in the first team.

05_Swindon_Stats_2324.thumb.png.0696ec143c240a33f01f6d01d25eced0.png

Transfers and Contracts

I have been very busy since we last spoke with offering contracts and informing players they won't get a contract. I sadly had a number of visits from players that don't want to stay since we got relegated. I'd love to have said to them "well you were the ones who didn't perform", but I instead tried to convince them. The only player that chose to stay and try to get us promoted was Cameron Hill. I was delighted when he chose to stick around. He'll be off if we don't go up, but I can build a team around him.

Those that chose to go were Tom Brewitt, Reece Talley (he is already on trial at Fulham) and Akin Famewo. Hopefully I can get some money for them. Michael Doughty and Rob Hunt refused to sign contracts, so they will be off, and Dion Donohue wanted a ridiculous amount of money to resign. I'll let him go. Juergen Elitim is transfer listed and wanted by Wycombe. If he performs fantastically for the team that just beat us to safety I will be gutted.

Renat Dadasov is a former Wolves player who spent a month on trial at the end of last season. I was very impressed and offered him a contract. He accepted and will join us before pre-season. Hopefully he can bang in the goals in the Conference.

1505803850_RenatDadasov.thumb.png.6dcbf89af079d5d05defc67bd146e161.png

We released 23 players in the end. Many were youth players that would never make the grade, but some first teamers and fringe players chose to leave. Michael Doughty left, along with Rob Hunt and Kaiyne Woolery. I would have kept Woolery, but he just wanted too much money. Dion Donohue lowered his expectations in the end and signed a new contract - or should.

06_Swindon_signings_June24.thumb.png.1262d920535f992cc3cb6d0e7377c6f2.png  06_Swindon_released_June24.thumb.png.8c345267339c992ab51312a2d6b5da35.png

We're off to Bath for a training camp soon. Yeah, it's just down the road, but I suppose it's a chance for the team to gell. We have a tasty Fulham friendly organised as part of the training camp, and a Bristol City game for later. Both should bring in some moolah because I've heard we're a little short. I better get promoted at the first time of asking.

Edited by anagain

Pre-Season

This was my first pre-season for some years without a European adventure and it felt very barren. In an effort to rebuild we took a number of triallists with us to our training camp in Bath. We lost to Fulham, but didn't embarass ourselves, and drew with fellow National Leaguers Yeovil. Heading home we got stuffed by Bristol City but then stuffed locals Wootton Bassett. Poole Town visited on the last weekend of pre-season and I chose to experiment with a 4-4-2 that would include Ryan and Dadasov. We were also less midfield heavy than last season, so this might suit us better. Ryan and Dadasov hit the ground running as a partnership; Dadasov scoring twice. Triallist Brennan Johnson scored two peaches of free kicks in the second half, and that made up my mind about whether he suited us. I would be offering a contract after the game and we'd see his demands.

Squad Rebuild

To tell you the truth, this rebuild was harder than I thought. Central defence was a priority, but I really struggled to find targets that wanted to sign. At least three times I made offers for players that were apparently interested in signing only for them to refuse contract negotiations. This included my old pal at Bangor, Sass-Davies.

The players that had asked for transfers all left the club early in July. Tom Brewitt went to York for a fee that could rise to £100k, Reece Talley to Swansea for £350k and Famewo to Wigan for what could amount to £175k. It meant we added some nice money to our coffers and the board gave me nearly £100k to spend. It was more than enough for what I wanted, and it might just go to wages.

Our first incoming player was midfielder Adam Phillips, and he was soon joined by young center back Adam Hewitt. Phillips is a straight out box to box midfielder in his prime years. He will fill the role vacated by Doughty. Hewitt is a youngster who impressed me in pre-season. He can challenge for a starting place this season, but is one for the future.

1121110482_AdamPhillips.thumb.png.b64ef002e7ce59aa4e8df8ad5e82e82b.png  586553803_AdamHewitt.thumb.png.76da4ede5fe54b1c296906d7d5048a50.png

And that was where we were at with our friendlies finished and a week to go until we started our National League campaign at Barnet. Hopefully there are more players to come. I really hope Brennan Johnson signs. His contract demands were around £3k pw, and I decided that if we were serious about getting back to League Two at the first attempt then I had to spend that sort of money.

I think I found a first choice center back right at the end of pre-season. We shall see if he signs. There is a link to my Bangor days. Maybe not an obvious one, but a link.

Right now I have a concern this squad isn't good enough to go straight back up. My two new possible signings will make it much better, and our attack looks much more formidable than last season. We could do with more depth, but whilst our transfer budget is good, our wage budget is not so high. I shall need to balance the books with loans out.

I really don't know where we are at. We'll soon find out.

Feelings Thoughts GIF by chuber channel

Edited by anagain

August 2024

August Transfers and Squad

My two transfers for early August didn't go to plan. We did manage to secure the signing of a center back, but my most desired signing failed for reasons of great frustration to me.

First, the center back. And that connection is? Italy. Please welcome Ramzi Aja. Ramzi is an experienced center back that has played at clubs from central to southern Italy and moved to England in 2022 to play for Rochdale. He joins to give us the solidity we need at the back.

637847551_RamziAya.thumb.png.c3c7548ce33a9634fbf2820c6768b73a.png

Brennan Johnson was the left sided player I really wanted to sign only to find I had misread his contract situation. We offered him a contract, which he agreed to. A few days later I got news from my DoF that the move had stalled because we owed £800k to Watford. Brennan, it seems, is out of contract at Watford, but has remained at the club on a month to month contract. He can't be loaned out and his compensation fee is excessive. My scouts suggested he should be valued at £6k, so I put in a cheeky bid only for Watford to come back wanting £3m. Brennan was going to be our lynchpin this season. I hate Watford!

816334318_BrennanJohnson.thumb.png.4dc9fa794d11ec6f61813c137ecd372f.png

One day he'll be ours. If we don't use up our wage budget before he is available. The problem is we need players. I'm not entirely happy with the depth of our squad. To cap off this feeling I received the horrid news that both Lloyd Isgrove and Jimiel Chikukwa, our first and second choice right wingers, would be out for a few weeks. Some youngsters would get a chance then.

So our squad was as follows before the opener against Barnet:

06_Swindon_Squad.thumb.png.efaceddbe6de36a27ad3d546cd98ba99.png

Vanarama National League Kicks Off

Animated GIF

We kicked off our campaign in North London against Barnet. I wasn't really sure what to expect so went out with caution. We needn't have feared and stormed to a 3-0 lead early in to the second half. Dion Donohue had started in midfield, after new signing Adam Philips picked up a knock. He was imperious, blasting us into a fifth minute lead with a rocket. Renat Dadasov scored his first league goal with a header before Donohue got his second after a keeper fumble. That was as good as we got, and the famous switch off, that I've seen since my early days at Bangor, followed. We conceded but held on for an opening day win.

06NLM1Barnet10824.thumb.png.47521c88b3461d817639ad125e1c68b6.png

Next up was Dulwich Hamlet at home. It proved to be a frustrating game in which we twice gave away the lead and had to equalise. Dadasov scored his second in two games and Andy Ryan got his first of the season to ensure a share of the points. We should have been winning that game though.

Even more frustrating was our next match, a trip to Lincolnshire to face drop favourites Gainsborough Trinity. Trinity had had a terrible start and I wanted us to pile on the pressure. We started well enough; Dadasov scoring again in the 20th minute. We failed to add to the score though, and the inevitable happened late in the game when Trinity scored a simple goal from a throw in. I was furious. I made sure the lads knew it.

06NLM2DulwichHamlet13824.thumb.png.28e7ed7f171cef144eeee23431d35bfd.png  06NLM3GainsboroughTrinity17824.thumb.png.5e6105f28238799684f5900f82a67291.png

I had to blame someone and had not been happy with the form of Lewis Page at left back. Donohue had been great in a more advanced position, but he switched back to left back for the visit of Dagenham. The end to this game is something that gives me heartburn whenever I think of it. We cruised the first half, scoring twice, and started the second half well as we added a third. That is where complacency reared its ugly head again. Adam Phillips had opened the scoring, with a belter from the edge of the D, before Dadasov had scored goals four and five of his season. Then the complacency. We just stopped playing and it was 3-2 before we knew it. We left their striker with more room than he could ever have wished for for their first before Aya badly misjudged a back pass to gift them a second. My voice rose in decibels and we thankfully started to show more interest, finally making sure of the game seven minutes in to stoppage time. It was nervy, but it was three points.

The games have been thick and fast so far, and our next game was the fourth in two weeks as we welcomed Chorley to the County Ground. Never have I been more scared of an opposition forward. Chorley had started well and they were ably led by Cheikh Diaby (formerly of WBA) up front. He tore us a new one and could probably count himself unlucky to head back to Lancashire pointless. We started well and finished well. Ramzi Aya scored his first Swindon goal from a corner in the 8th minute. He then helped secure the win in the 91st minute as he was felled for a penalty. Andy Ryan converted to leave me sighing with relief. We had been on the back foot most of the game and Maxted had saved our bacon more than a couple of times as Diaby found himself clear. It had been so bad that I had switched formation ten minutes in to the second half in an effort to stifle Chorley's countering. Cameron Hill dropped back to cover our center backs and I do believe it helped.

06NLM4DagenhamandRedbridge20824.thumb.png.6f31921a9e677c9369bbdf86d604dec4.png  06NLM5Chorley24824.thumb.png.82e4046512623860e0652d052723f01f.png

It all meant we ended August unbeaten. I really believed we could be better though. I still wanted more depth to our squad but couldn't be too displeased with how we had started.

VNLAug24.thumb.png.b74d0f26c59d8ffcce3cdb373a1d4ff3.png

Vanarama National League as at 18.00, Saturday 24th August 2024

My first Player Of The Month of our National League campaign goes to Renat Dadasov. He picked up a little knock before the Chorley game, but five goals in four appearances is a great start for the Azerbaijani. I knew he could rack up the goals for us.

Still Making Transfers

As the month came to an end I found myself still looking for the player, or players, that would complete my squad and make us stronger going forward. My scouts were coming up with new names at all times, and late in the month they came to me to suggest a young midfielder at Middlesbrough. What they showed me was a defensive minded central midfielder with some very strong physical and mental attributes. He could fill in at right back too. I was convinced, and Andy Keltie agreed to join us for the remainder of the season a few days later. With Dabo's form being a little off, Keltie may just start at right back.

229938572_AndyKeltie.thumb.png.ab191539fa1558847f9f5d2f3e67cdd1.png

As August came to an end there was one final piece of good news. It most likely means the end to my hopes of signing Brennan Johnson but I added to our roster of wingers with the capture of former Bournemouth youngster Ryan Glover. Ryan is accomplished on the right or the left. He will player deeper on the right and fit in to my 4-4-2. If we switch to a midfield three then Ryan is a strong left sided IF.

208608903_RyanGlover.thumb.png.6cebabd6ea86bb924a65b8bf3667b80b.png

And that probably signals the end of my transfer dealings for now. There may be some outs in terms of loans (in fact Cameron Dickens and Lewis Crawford went out for loan spells midway through August) and I will keep an eye on available free transfers. The window in the National Leagues doesn't end until March. It would be nice to secure another strong center back, though we are perilously close to our wage budget.

On to September, and the frequency of fixtures doesn't get any easier. Another six games in the coming month including league favourites Wrexham. Back to a ground that was the scene of memorable moments in the European Bangor Bus experience.

It's been a good start to the season. Long may it continue.

happy ariel lin GIF

The Taiwanese branch of the Swindon Supporters Trust were very happy with our start. Especially Chia-Ling.

Edited by anagain

September 2024

After a month in which we went unbeaten we moved on to a month of frustration. True, we knew it would be a tougher month, but I expected much more fight from my lads.

To begin the month we travelled up country to Chester, a team that were also unbeaten in their first five games. We never got going and could barely string two passes together at times. Truthfully, Chester weren't an awful deal better, but they snatched the win with a 17th minute free kick. Chester had a man sent off with just over ten minutes left but it couldn't spur us on to finding the equaliser.

Next up were firmly mid table Boreham Wood at home. This was a game both myself and the media expected us to win. Dadasov made it 1-0 late in the first half before Cameron Hill poked home an unlucky own goal to make it 1-1. That was about as exciting as the game got, with both teams battling their ways to a point.

06NLM6Chester2924.thumb.png.b34f5998888b9a9622b0267984ee7048.png  06NLM7BorehamWood7924.thumb.png.2f904bf20334434a1e9d90b17fa59681.png

We headed back up north to Manchester next and a visit to Stockport. In a theme for the month so far, County had had a good start, and they preceded to show us how our opening unbeaten month had been a false dawn. We were never in this game, and somehow we only lost 1-0. The goal was a belter, late in the game. That stung.

With the form we were in, and the uninspiring performances of many, the last thing we wanted next was to travel to divisional favourites Wrexham. Things were a little better, but our inability to defend adequately for 90 minutes was really showing. We are full of mistakes and badly need some cohesion. Wrexham opened the scoring when Donohue missed a interception and allowed a Wrexham player to advance in to the penalty box and fire home. Ryan Glover had begun to start games and he won us a penalty nine minutes later after a tricky run in to the box earnt a foul. Andy Ryan tucked the penalty away to put us back in the game. We stayed level pegging for just ten minutes however. My defence left a man unmarked at the back of the box and Wrexham headed home a corner. It should have been Donohue's man and his performances were not up to scratch. I dragged one of last season's better performers off early in the second half, but nothing could find us an equaliser.

That made it four without a win and I called the lads together after this. "Don't let your heads drop, lads. We're better than this and we can prove it."

06NLM8StockportCounty14924.thumb.png.6f944bd93ddabf3643015b78f1683935.png  06NLM9Wrexham17924.thumb.png.a428c3a8ded06618be06dac9afbf2afa.png

I had been looking at getting another face in defence with the way we were conceding. There is also just the fact that we don't look confident in defence, or even bothered. Perhaps another new face might push Bollan and Aya on to better things. I settled for a loan signing and Neil Jelfs of West Brom is the young man that will join us for the season. Neil is a confident young lad who looks like he might gee up the others a bit. From what I saw in training, he loves a tackle.

847112403_NeilJelfs.thumb.png.2e79c6b59db209cdcc36fe346c66e701.png

With reinforcements loaded, but not quite ready to start, we welcomed Harrogate Town to the County Ground on a gloomy Saturday afternoon. We needed to get back to winning ways and we started on the front foot, Isgrove bursting in to the box only to be felled. Andy Ryan had picked up a knock before the match so Dion Donohue stepped up to the spot. I had kept faith with Dion despite some poor performances. I moved him back to central midfield, where he had started the season so well, and Lewis Page was back at left back. I saw something on the lad's faces after the little team chat. Time for second chances. Dion smashed the penalty home.

Five minutes later and it was two. A Harrogate defender got in a right mess and Dadasov snuck in to steal the ball and fire home. Then calamity happened as Ramzi Aya got himself red carded after 8 minutes. It was a horrible tackle and deserved a red. I couldn't even look at him as he trudged past. We now had to sacrifice attack and contain the game. Harrogate piled on the pressure and found one back ten minutes before half time. The goal woke the lads up a bit and we made it 3-1 before half time, Ryan Glover getting his first for the club. The second half was thankfully a duller affair and we held on to secure a welcome three points.

With us back to winning ways, we welcomed Aldershot for a final fixture of September. It proved to be a game best forgotten. There were chances but no team could find the net, and the game ended 0-0. Neil Jelfs made his first start, with Aya suspended, and he did very well.

06NLM10HarrogateTown21924.thumb.png.3fb44c5931244417684bc02f16d63140.png  06NLM11AldershotTown28924.thumb.png.d056871dfcfacd67597f1f086c93f64d.png

VNLSep24.thumb.png.e0ce559354b1c110a4a2e31cd49b5274.png

Vanarama National League as at 18.00, Saturday 28th September 2024

How do you pick a Player Of The Month after that horror show? Well that is my task. I'm going to go for number one, Jonny Maxted. Jonny kept the scores down this month, and besides, no one else deserves the award.

We need to improve for October. We face a lengthy trip to Hartlepool to start the month, and also face top of the table Sutton. Win that and we'll be right back at it. I'm starting to think we're play off destined at best though. We need to be better. Much better.

try again stan marsh GIF by South Park

October 2024

October was as patchy as September. We started with middling form, then returned to our best form, before ending the month in dire form. The board even deemed it in their best interests to take note of the situation at one point. More on that later.

After the slight upturn in form at the end of September, we hoped to continue that as we travelled way up north to Hartlepool. We started on the front foot, and Cameron Hill scored with a header from an Adam Phillips corner midway through the first half. We continued to look dangerous into the second half before our plans were scuppered by an abysmal red card decision against Andy Keltie on 67 minutes. It was a good tackle, but the poor decision left us hanging on for the final 20-odd minutes. It was a penalty that lost us two points, and another horrendous decision as Donohue was adjudged to have fouled his man in the box. There was nothing in it and I had to be told to sit down by the fourth official. At least we held on for a point.

After such a long trip we had to travel to Sutton for another game just three days later. Sutton were doing well and I expected a tough game. I suppose I should be delighted that we came away with a point after a tepid 0-0 draw.

06NLM12Hartlepool51024.thumb.png.c75eb182a0c9fdecb7f0d5fe2ad82251.png  06NLM13SuttonUnited81024.thumb.png.8e64297eca1e828bc7e94790d7b0ea34.png

Truthfully, we were struggling to score. I was beginning to notice how much Andy Ryan did for the team with his link up play. I could find no one to really replace him. When we travelled to struggling Bromley four days later I sent the lads out with just Dadasov up front. Glover and Isgrove played in their advanced wide positions. You might say it worked. We thrashed the Lilywhites 4-0 with Hill, Dadasov ( a double) and Nortey getting the goals. It was Nortey's first goal for us and he has been one of our most consistent performers as a utility man.

A week later and we hoped to continue the fine form from Bromley as we visited neighbours Gloucester in the FA Cup. I wanted to win and we played a strong side that dominated the team from the Conference South. We made quick work of racing to a 2-0 lead and then pretty much lost interest for the rest of the game. Gloucester rarely threatened, but I would love to have seen more goals from our 28 shots.

06NLM14Bromley121024.thumb.png.800ac98735a124c0ffec54f801511ae8.png  06FAC4QRGloucesterCity191024.thumb.png.94265b6cc05c8cb54574a4ba68576377.png

With two wins in a row I dared to hope we were back to our best. How wrong I was. The final week of October was a total shock to the system. We travelled to Eastleigh first and what followed was a game in which both teams made hard work of things. Only Eastleigh found that final little bit though. They scored twice late in the second half to earn the three points. We were very, very poor.

Against Yeovil a few days later we were even worse. We failed to deal with Yeovil's Will Jordan throughout. He scored a hattrick and Yeovil stuffed us 3-1 on our own turf. Nortei Nortey scored our only goal, a consolation, and he was the only player to show anything close to what I expect in terms of performance.

06NLM15Eastleigh261024.thumb.png.504d9a158447babefae80ea47d1daffe.png  06NLM16YeovilTown291024.thumb.png.5408e34f37ab57fa0fb179ca8f38e46e.png

Perhaps I was to blame for the defeats. I'd switched back to a 4-4-2 for both the losses. Other than against Bromley, Dadasov had not looked comfortable playing on his own up front. He seems to be a player that wants a partner to line him up. I just can't find that partner with Ryan injured. Whether I should take the blame or not, the performances were not good enough.

It was me that was summoned to the boardroom  the next morning though. The board were not happy with our mid table position and wanted answers. It came down to me defending myself and I suggested they might find it hard to find anyone better than myself to take over. They agreed and I have time to attempt to fix this.

VNLOct24.thumb.png.8145311b3bf55a6a8f416df1b6cd699c.png

Vanarama National League as at 22.00, Tuesday 29th October 2024

I believe I shall give my Player Of The Month award for October to Nortei Nortey. This is just for the fact that he was the only one who seemed to give half a toss against Yeovil. He deserves a start ahead of Dion Donohue. Dion appears to have lost all interest.

The team is better than the form we are showing. I believe the players we have are good enough to at least make the play offs. We have proven that in August. The mistakes in defence need to go though. From my meeting with the board, one thing is for sure:

gordon ramsay fox GIF by Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back

I'll get the Ramsey treatment if I'm not careful.

Edited by anagain

November 2024

With the sack hanging well and truly over my head we needed a good November. First up was an away trip to South Wales to face Newport County. The Exiles had not had a great start to the campaign and I hoped this would be a good game to show what we were really about. I went more attacking than I normally would for an away trip, hoping to put the pressure on County from the off. It worked, and Lewis Page was the man who got us up and running with a fourth minute strike after Adam Phillips had teed him up. It was his first goal for the club, and what a wonderful time to get it. Half time saw things in an even better shape as Dadasov scored two tap ins; the first where he was first to a reflex keeper save, and the second in which he stretched a foot out to poke home a Keltie cross that had followed good work by the on loan right back to win back the ball. The second half became a case of staying tight and keeping our lead, and I was delighted that we did just that to take home three points with a very good 3-0 win.

That result was sure to have the board happier, and if we could follow it up with a win in the FA Cup First Round at Boreham Wood a week later then we'd be fullfiilling a goal for the season. They say why change a winning formation, so I sent out the same team in Hertfordshire, bar Ryan Glover who had taken a slight knock in Newport. The Wood took the lead against the run of play with six minutes to the break, my defense leaving a man wide open on the left, but half time saw a complete turn around as we went in 2-1 up. Adam Phillips equalised just a minute after we went one down, as he raced on to a gorgeous Dadasov pass, and Nortei Nortey got the second with a blaster from the edge of the box. Again, the second half was just a case of holiding on to our lead. We did so for a second game in a row and were through to the Second Round of the cup. The board were happy and we sat waiting to see if we might get a bigger team. We got Exeter City, the team that had nabbed two Bangor players in my time in North Wales. The match would take place at the end of November.

06NLM17NewportCounty21124.thumb.png.dbe897cfac24183ef3334521f86f5197.png  06FACR1BorehamWood101124.thumb.png.ce9032f93dd49eb3f696490f8de3d3af.png

Could we keep this turn of form going? That was the question as we returned to the league and a home game with the poor of form Southport. Surely we would win. I thought so. I really did. Could we score though? A combination of not creating enough good opportunities and not finishing the ones we did create saw us record a bore draw 0-0.

The board were not happy, and again I was called for a meeting with Mr Kleanthous. "We're not far off the desired position. Just let me manage", I said. Surprisingly he agreed. We've a good team here, and that has been shown by the results at the start of the month.

Now we just wanted to get back to winning ways with the visit of play off challengers Maidenhead. Ryan Glover returned to get us off to a good start within twenty minutes. A wonderful Isgrove cross found the onrushing Glover and he tucked the ball away past a helpless keeper. The half ended 1-0 and I told the lads to just do the same after the break. It took just five minutes for things to make a complete reversal though. Two terrible goals from a defensive viewpoint saw Maidenhead make it 2-1 and I was fuming at my lads. "Concentrate!" I shouted.

To give the boys credit, they didn't just concentrate, but they upped their performance. They did it without Nortey. He had been terrible up till the second Maidenhead goal and terrible against Southport. Donohue replaced him, hoping to get back to playing regularly after his own poor form. Before the hour we made the game 2-2 as a hapless Maidenhead defender could only head in to his own net. Now we forced the game and found two goals in the next quarter of an hour. Dadasov was first, scoring his twelth of the season, after great work by Glover had given him an easy finish. Then it was Adam Phillips after great passing play on the edge of the box gave the midfielder a clear effort on goal. It was a great result and showed we do have some passion.

06NLM18Southport161124.thumb.png.87ede6232eda563146889691d7b3e96c.png  06NLM19MaidenheadUnited231124.thumb.png.ba86a61b4849b859fdf708681bee999b.png

Next was a tricky trip to Stoke to face another play off candidate in Port Vale. Vale had just replaced their manager and I hoped to make his life tough with a win. I got my wish in scintillating fashion. On loan Neil Jelfs was a clear man of the match as he headed home two goals from corners. Ramzi Aya returned to the team this game, having not played much since his red card, and he must have geed up the defense because we were imperious and gave Vale barely a chance. If the defense was beaten then Maxted was there with safe hands. We then finished the game off with an Andy Ryan penalty on his return to the team after injury. He knocked the penalty home just a minute after coming on. A nice way to return for any striker.

That left just one more game in November, our FA Cup tie with Exeter. I decided on caution, but we still had good chances that we just couldn't turn home. Exeter then punished us with a goal just before the hour. I switched to two strikers and really went for the jugular. We missed two gilt edged chances and our cup run was over. I wasn't too disappointed as ultimately the league is the priority.

06NLM20PortVale261124.thumb.png.cd284cbf0b0d5149cb3854f1c487def5.png  06FACR2ExeterCity301124.thumb.png.b49c2285ebe148a39a8239fb01f5a095.png

With the National League continuing whilst we entertained Exeter we dropped a few league places. We now have a game in hand on the few teams ahead of us though. There's a little gap forming to the top six teams, however, and we want to close that fast.

VNLNov24.thumb.png.6fef02e92a5d21dc8e1c62d81a32c876.png

Vanarama National League as at 18.00, Saturday 30th November 2024.

For my Player Of The Month for November I am going with Adam Phillips. Adam has had a great month, both scoring and setting up strikes. The midfielder now has two goals and seven assists.

Well, what can I say about November?

eddie murphy ok GIF by Hollywood Suite

Yep, good month. Unbeaten in the league, and that is what counts. A busy seven games in December, including a home FA trophy game with Sittingbourne in which we could feasibly garner some real confidence with a minnow thumping. Mid table Ebbsfleet and Stevenage to start the month before we welcome strugglers Basingstoke and the minnows to the County Ground. We then face Aldershot before a tough Christmas against Sutton and Eastleigh. We were poor when we visited Eastleigh, so I would love to turn the tables in that one.

Up The Robins! Onwards and upwards.

06_swindon_sacked.thumb.png.515b41bf293e9b9775b180b04b162231.png

I had a bad start to December before turning it around slightly. Thrashed Sittingbourne 5-1 and then lost to Aldershot after a penalty that never should have been.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have made a decision though. I've really enjoyed this save but it is borked.

I reported a messed up press conference a week ago. It was called by my chairman to assess my management performance, but it was all back to front. I was seeing my answers given by my chairman. The answer I got from SI was that they couldn't reproduce it. It seems it is an error with my save, and probably the fact it is from beta.

I'm just debating what I want to do next.

Bangor City was an effort to ressurect a Welsh great after financial issues. In a past FM (FM07 or FM10, I think...me memory aint' what it used to be, and there's been so much FM) I managed FC Koper in Slovenia after starting unemployed as a Hungarian manager. I loved that save. It was so very different than anything I have done before. I won the Slovene Cup a few times and eventually the league, I think. I got the Dynamo Kiev game eventually.

Now, Koper suffered financial trouble too. They dropped right down the leagues and are now back in Slovene football. I might do a similar save. 

I've enjoyed writing my save up, so I'll probably start a new one.

Hope people have enjoyed this Bangorian adventure. It started all Italian in North Wales, but Swindon never recreated that.

It's arrivaderci for now.

Edited by anagain
pic didn't add