"Disable budget first window" - no loans or frees?

FM20 is the first time I have played the series since FM15, so this may be a change from a previous version.

I like to start games with transfer budgets disabled in the first window, for added realism. However, In FM15 and earlier, you could still make loans in/out, and sign unattached players on a free transfer. i.e. effectively the window was active, but each club had a budget of £0. Now it seems the ability to buy/sell/loan is locked down.

Is this the case? Is there a way to allow loans and frees but still prevent more high profile transfers by limiting each club to zero budget?

And one for SI; If not, is this a feature you'd consider adding back in?

I know in PL after window closes on 8th then you can loan players out and sign freebies, so I would assume for LL teams they can sign freebies and loans. I think it changed last year regarding signing freebies when first window disabled.

6 hours ago, toffee71 said:

You definitely can sign staff

Yes, just tested this. Both unemployed and those contracted to other clubs. (However, I can't get any staff to apply for an advertised vacancy during this period, despite getting notices of interested candidates, and finding those I approach directly very happy to discuss terms, but that's another issue).

Tested the ability to sign loans/free agents by going to holiday through to firstly, the end of the current transfer window for the Premier League (8th August).

During that time, received a notification that the club had signed a player; not instigated or sanctioned by me, nor one that was was already arranged with a future date when the game began:

1624751569_ScreenshotatNov0819-29-57.thumb.png.234cf1dbd704b56e0c86294905ec3b19.png

Ended my holiday but was not able to make signings or loans (same message as shared in my previous post), not even when I tried to sign other underage players such as this guy.

Went back on holiday until the 8th August as planned, Premier League closed (but League One still 'open'). Still unable to sign free agents, so went back on holiday to the final day of the window. At this point, the only signing made anywhere in England, is the one above made by my staff of their own volition whilst I holidayed.

1038737189_ScreenshotatNov0819-51-22.thumb.png.1a3918967bf7520ead303a1188f0fb48.png

The day after the League One transfer window ended (i.e. 3rd September), I could now approach free agents. Additionally, I started to get a tonne of candidates for my advertised staff vacancies. I'm still the only club in England to have made a signing during the window.

So, summary - The transfer window is in fact entirely locked down, not just 'budget-free' as was the case until at least FM2015 (this may be a deliberate change to gameplay), except, my staff somehow managed to sign a player whilst I went on holiday, which would suggest actually this is a bug?

Staff can be approached during this time, but will not apply proactively to join your club until the transfer window ends, when you will get weeks worth of candidates in one day.

The way this feature should work is that you cannot sign players on transfers or loans during the window that is disabled. But the day that disabled window ends you can go back to signing free agents and pre-negotiating deals for the next window.

Is this not the way it's working for you?

En 7/11/2019 a las 19:41, Grunners dijo:

FM20 is the first time I have played the series since FM15, so this may be a change from a previous version.

I like to start games with transfer budgets disabled in the first window, for added realism. However, In FM15 and earlier, you could still make loans in/out, and sign unattached players on a free transfer. i.e. effectively the window was active, but each club had a budget of £0. Now it seems the ability to buy/sell/loan is locked down.

Is this the case? Is there a way to allow loans and frees but still prevent more high profile transfers by limiting each club to zero budget?

And one for SI; If not, is this a feature you'd consider adding back in?

SI staff have confirmed that this behavior is a bug and will be corrected in the full release day patch :thup:

Thanks. It's crazy how many issues they've had with this feature over the last few additions. At least this time they seem far more receptive to fixing it - in FM19, if I recall, it took some time after full release to become workable enough to start a proper save.

I've not started a proper save yet but I've just been tinkering around until the full release..

Bundesliga 2. First Transfer Window turned off as is usual for me. I'm a few weeks in and my HOYD is attempting to sign free youngsters but nothing is able to go through because the club can't/won't pay the nominal 2k fee's. Either allow a tiny budget to let these youngsters be signed or turn off the activity of the HOYD until the first window passes. It seems silly as it is.  

Edited by janrzm