[FM20][FM21][FM22][FM23] Calcio

zlatanera

do you poach players from other youth teams or just rely on your own youth system and just buy players for the senior team?

Feel like in most cases paying a lot for 15,16 year olds isn't worth it and just have players from the youth intake in the U20 and U18 teams.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, bendixkunert2 said:

just rely on your own youth system and just buy players for the senior team?

I tend to do this, though one or two players from outside the club will be targeted, especially in a position lacking at the club. Usually started to incorporate regens into my squad in my 5th season onwards, as the early regens tend to be below the required quality.

I'm not really a fan of hoarding all the regens and paying £10-20m each when they are 16-18, though.

@n1mez that's a good regen! French Algerian is really common in the real world, Zidane is one.

35 minutes ago, Stackalee said:

I suspect that will not be the consensus in a thread about Italian football!

Obviously not a weird combo in that there is alot of Algerians in France. Like Zizou etc. But from the Parma academy :O 

19 minutes ago, quee said:

I tend to do this, though one or two players from outside the club will be targeted, especially in a position lacking at the club. Usually started to incorporate regens into my squad in my 5th season onwards, as the early regens tend to be below the required quality.

I'm not really a fan of hoarding all the regens and paying £10-20m each when they are 16-18, though.

@n1mez that's a good regen! French Algerian is really common in the real world, Zidane is one.

Yeah. I misspoke :D 

1 hour ago, bendixkunert2 said:

do you poach players from other youth teams or just rely on your own youth system and just buy players for the senior team?

Feel like in most cases paying a lot for 15,16 year olds isn't worth it and just have players from the youth intake in the U20 and U18 teams.

Agreed, these days I never have a save long enough to make the most of them coming through, so it's a pointless exercise.  I'm probably 5 seasons tops for a game (in my younger days it was 15-20 seasons average for a game).  A mate and me had a 2 player game past season 70, but that was 15+ years ago!!!!

Do you guys love transfer windows?

For me, it's the most stressful part of the game. I tend to think longer than just pressing continue :lol:

Sometimes, hours went by without a day moving forward in the game :lol:

18 minutes ago, Fraser said:

Agreed, these days I never have a save long enough to make the most of them coming through, so it's a pointless exercise.  I'm probably 5 seasons tops for a game (in my younger days it was 15-20 seasons average for a game).  A mate and me had a 2 player game past season 70, but that was 15+ years ago!!!!

agree. Love to play with real players which is why I usually only play 3-5 year saves depending on who I take over. If it's someone like Palermo from a lower league maybe 7-8 years. Think I might do a Palermo save after this Brescia one.

7 minutes ago, quee said:

For me, it's the most stressful part of the game. I tend to think longer than just pressing continue :lol:

I usually sit on July 1st for hours with all there is to do haha

Out of curiosity, how do all of you play the game? I am not trying to judge or criticize anyone at all, but I always am a little surprised to see people win so much with small teams so quickly. That being said, it's hard to judge how much "better" or "worse" you are vs other players, or how "easy" vs "difficult" this year's version of the game is, when there are so many different variables at play (which is part of what makes the game so much fun!).

I'm just generally interested in what people's "house rules" are. Here are a few of mine:

• I always start in Serie C or lower for a real challenge, meaning not only is it a difficult, long road to success, but by the time I make it up higher all the players are different anyway so I can't rely on my own real-life knowledge to get by
  • I always start with the initial transfer window off. This is my most dedicated rule, and also the most frustratingly difficult to live with. I'll struggle through half a season with the default squad and then try to make a lot of improvements in January and hope that that's enough to catch up and win promotion in the second half
  • I don't look at any recommended player guides
  • I don't look at any recommended staff guides
  • I don't use any tactics from other people or guides
  • I start with very low experience and coaching ability, which makes things realistically more difficult, but I may use the editor to slightly, conservatively adjust my attributes later on
  • I use attribute masking
  • I never replay games
  • I start with a lot of leagues and nations so it's harder to sell, but there are more potential signings to find (in theory)
  • I never use the editor to look at hidden attributes or CA/PA
  • I do use the editor to workaround bugs or things I view as unrealistic, like when the board won't let you move money from your wage budget to your transfer budget to push a transfer through even when you have the money. I'll just shift it over manually and everything is fine and still under budget.

Anyone have any unique guidelines they set for themselves? I know I've seen a few mentioned like Italian players only, players brought to you by your own staff only, etc.

49 minutes ago, quee said:

For me it's the best part of the game, I love transfer window! It's even better when you that player you were looking for, especially if it's a bargain.

6 minutes ago, Weston said:

Out of curiosity, how do all of you play the game? I am not trying to judge or criticize anyone at all, but I always am a little surprised to see people win so much with small teams so quickly. That being said, it's hard to judge how much "better" or "worse" you are vs other players, or how "easy" vs "difficult" this year's version of the game is, when there are so many different variables at play (which is part of what makes the game so much fun!).

I'm just generally interested in what people's "house rules" are. Here are a few of mine:

• I always start in Serie C or lower for a real challenge, meaning not only is it a difficult, long road to success, but by the time I make it up higher all the players are different anyway so I can't rely on my own real-life knowledge to get by
  • I always start with the initial transfer window off. This is my most dedicated rule, and also the most frustratingly difficult to live with. I'll struggle through half a season with the default squad and then try to make a lot of improvements in January and hope that that's enough to catch up and win promotion in the second half
  • I start with very low experience and coaching ability, which makes things realistically more difficult, but I may use the editor to slightly, conservatively adjust my attributes later on
  • I never replay games
  • I start with a lot of leagues and nations so it's harder to sell, but there are more potential signings to find (in theory)
  • I do use the editor to workaround bugs or things I view as unrealistic, like when the board won't let you move money from your wage budget to your transfer budget to push a transfer through even when you have the money. I'll just shift it over manually and everything is fine and still under budget.

Anyone have any unique guidelines they set for themselves? I know I've seen a few mentioned like Italian players only, players brought to you by your own staff only, etc.

Don't use the editor, don't replay games and don't show hidden attributes for anyone. 

So really just play the game. Don't use any other restrictions though like buy only Italian players, I use real life knowledge. I do load a lot of leagues like the top 20-25 top European first divisions. I usually turn the first transfer window off, I didn't in this save however (still a small transfer budget though).

I do use a tactic setup from another person which I adjusted a bit. The reason is that I'm not a tactical expert, not really interested in it and want to enjoy the other parts like man management and roster building.

I use the recommended experience and coaching ability before starting the save.

I usually just ignore any guides and don't want any coaches or player recommendations.

I manage every transfer, contract for any staff member or player in the organization. I take over individual training for the senior squad. 

I take over scouting. Usually the only parts I don't do is U18, U20 games and training and media interviews.

I work within the transfer and wage budget and never make a switch there.

Really just play after the basic and common rules. I try to please the board to the maximum so if they expect to sign a lot of Italians I will do that even if I could get by without.

1 minute ago, Weston said:

Transfer "rules" I apply dependant on the save - for example I recently ran a Torino save where I made no transfers first season, and a Cesena save where my transfers came from staff/agent recommendations, but I would not apply either of these rules to every save. Normally I just hoover up whatever youngsters fit the formation I'm trying to build (as many from the nation I'm playing in as possible).

Other stuff quite similar to your own, but possibly not for the same reasons:

• No downloaded tactics, but purely because I enjoy developing tactics - no objection to the use of downloaded tactics itself. No FM specific guides, but I will read a little about old formations if I'm running a save specifically to try and emulate them (e.g. I normally do at least one Ajax 1996 style tactic save). Sometimes I do reuse a tactic I've made in a previous save, which is similar I guess.
  • No player or staff guides, but when I first buy a new FM the first thing I do is check out all the latest wonderkids that I've heard about IRL or in the previous game. 
  • No replaying of games... not much to say on that one, no disrespect to people who do it but it seems boring to me.
  • I do not use attribute masking, just because I don't like the way the ranges look. If there was an option to show no attributes until fully scouted I'd probably try it.
  • I do not use the editor, not out of any objection to the use of it - just because I'm cheap. I also don't use the pregame editor because it felt quite cumbersome to use.
  • I start with as many leagues as I feel I can while maintaining a decent processing speed - lately this is basically top flight from ~6 European leagues, plus the lower league from whichever nation I start in. Sometimes different, like if playing in English lower leagues I may specifically choose to run Scotland/Ireland/Scandinavian stuff just to get fun players available.
  • I start with whomever I feel like starting with, I personally don't find playing lower leagues adds a challenge - it just makes it take slightly longer to get where you're going. Things taking longer means you're getting regens, and I don't really enjoy the game post-regens. In previous games I have had some joy with regens when placing specific restrictions on a save, like only using players through your own academy.

12 minutes ago, Weston said:
  • I always start with the initial transfer window off. This is my most dedicated rule, and also the most frustratingly difficult to live with. I'll struggle through half a season with the default squad and then try to make a lot of improvements in January and hope that that's enough to catch up and win promotion in the second half - Only started doing this in FM19, and loving it. A must now.
  • I don't look at any recommended player guides - I do read through them, especially before I bought the game, but I don't use them to make my decision in-game. I tend to buy the game after the new year and started a game with the final transfer updates, so lots of players have changed by then. This is also why I only do Scouts Centre recommendations only transfers.
  • I don't look at any recommended staff guides - Nope
  • I don't use any tactics from other people or guides - Definite nope
  • I start with very low experience and coaching ability, which makes things realistically more difficult, but I may use the editor to slightly, conservatively adjust my attributes later on - I just use the default as I followed the recommended settings by club you started with. I do move around the attributes, though.
  • I use attribute masking - Never once removed this from the setting, ever
  • I never replay games - Yup, though there are special cases where I restarted the game because I forgot to change someone in the starting lineup for example (A good example was Alastra, who played in all Europa League last season, in one game I forgot to switch out Radu, who started most of Serie A). It wasn't a replay per say (I just try to quit straight away before the game started)
  • I start with a lot of leagues and nations so it's harder to sell, but there are more potential signings to find (in theory) - As much as my laptop could handle. For my current save, I loaded 13 leagues (only Italy have lower divisions). This is at 250k+ players, so already at half star speed :lol:
  • I never use the editor to look at hidden attributes or CA/PA - Never even bought it 

Can't really think of anything else to add, except, that I very rarely used instalments for my transfers, as it can lead to a bit of manoeuvring a bit in buying players outside the budget. For example, in FM19, I only used it once (£5m+£1m instalments - I really wanted the player on deadline day and I don't have enough budget). I'm not a fan of paying minimum up-front and majority in instalments. I don't remember if I did used them in older FMs, though.

I also haven't done the unsettling a player trick, though it does sound interesting :D

5 minutes ago, bendixkunert2 said:

do you mean attribute masking with this?

Yes, most unknown players, that are not within your scouting range, won't even have numbers to be seen.

If all attributes are viewable, it will be easy to look for them by filtering etc.

4 minutes ago, bendixkunert2 said:

wait until Man Utd comes for another key player:D

Hahahaha I bet they'll try to buy Zaniolo, Liverpool is interested on Cristante... I'm going to lose some player this transfer window for sure!

But Bergwijn is transfer listed, if I don't buy Unuvar he'll be my first choice.

Just now, john1 said:

6fb7d40deebec2fabad2a199857a6499.png 

I am really tempted to take over Atlanta. Any advice guys? 

If you don't feel Pescara is going where you wanted, go for it. Atlanta is a fun team to manage I presume, considering their real life exploits. Loved their style of play.

11 minutes ago, quee said:

If you don't feel Pescara is going where you wanted, go for it. Atlanta is a fun team to manage I presume, considering their real life exploits. Loved their style of play.

That's very good question, our finances is going down rapidly from 9M to 63K in red in the bank, only got 200K to spend on new players. Atlanta offering 40M budget to spend on new players as they finished 9th last season.

Edited by john1

Just now, john1 said:

That was quick :D Welcome back!

Haha yeah one season in England was all it took I actually got offered the Juventus job in January but turned it down to finish the season with Chelsea in that space Laudrup came in as manager and was sacked by the end of the season. I managed to convince the owners to only expect Champions League qualification this season and for the rest of my time Challenge for Serie A. Originally they were wanting a challenge this year then win it every year after. Last 2 seasons though they have finished 5th and 6th and there squad is terrible. Gonna take a while to rebuild. Typical Juve style too many old players on big wages.

9 minutes ago, john1 said:

No idea :( 

The £5m transfers? Maybe instalments?

9 minutes ago, WilsonJuve said:

Honey im home..........

Welcome back! As John said, that was quick! :lol:

Chelsea fun? Or is Italy better? :D

nAQmvtj.png

This part is really confusing. You would thought players out on-loan won't be affected for HGC, but it really does have to be 3 years period, EVEN if there was to be a loan away in between.

2 of my players will miss out on HGC because I misunderstood this part :lol:

6 minutes ago, quee said:

The £5m transfers? Maybe instalments?

Welcome back! As John said, that was quick! :lol:

Chelsea fun? Or is Italy better? :D

Chelsea was fun but the demands were stupid when I took over they had finished 7th 5th 5th last three seasons so no Champions League football. We finished 3rd with 91 points only since game start that would have won all but 2 titles. Domestic cups we lost in a final and quarter final and Europa league we went on to win it against Everton. But Abramovich was fuming we didnt win the league so was happy to say bye bye.

And after his sensational season with me Moise Kean went on to become runner up again in all the World Player, Ballon D'or awards. He was beaten by my Lautaro Martinez at Chelsea. Look at his average ratings since the game start they are UNREAL.
D978148F8B9B7E2EBDE3A3800921F31916666812

Edited by WilsonJuve
Spelling

1 hour ago, quee said:

Can't really think of anything else to add, except, that I very rarely used instalments for my transfers, as it can lead to a bit of manoeuvring a bit in buying players outside the budget. For example, in FM19, I only used it once (£5m+£1m instalments - I really wanted the player on deadline day and I don't have enough budget). I'm not a fan of paying minimum up-front and majority in instalments. I don't remember if I did used them in older FMs, though.

I also haven't done the unsettling a player trick, though it does sound interesting :D

Yeah I never use installments, though not because I think they're cheating or anything so much as I just don't like them and know I'll mess it up.

As for unsettling players just to tank a team I'd never done it before either, though I did just enquire about Roma's players just to test it out. Didn't do anything as far as I can tell.

As for your note about restarting as soon as you've started a game because you've noticed an error, that's fine. I do that too - who hasn't realized they forgot to switch their starting keeper back in when they see the lineups flash across the screen? That would never happen in real life, so it's okay as far as I'm concerned.

I actually proposed a feature to the game that would allow us to exit matches without having to completely shut down the game and start it up again. I was told they have it this way on purpose to discourage replaying matches, which I find pretty infantilizing. I don't do it and don't like the idea, but if people buy the game they should be able to do what they want. And for the rest of us, we should be able to restart once we catch a small error before the game actually starts. Very silly.

1 hour ago, bendixkunert2 said:

do you mean attribute masking with this?

Unbenannt.png

Yes. You and your staff's player knowledge affect both what players appear in searches and also how much or little of their attributes are visible when you look at them. I like the realism of not being able to see practically anything when I start because I'm a small team with no reach. I do a lot of digging myself, finding people and telling my scouts to watch them and uncover their attributes, so I find this ideal. Personally, I dislike the alternative of having everything be visible but only relying on what staff bring to you, if that makes sense. I like the freedom to look, I just want it to be a realistic challenge when I do.

I'll actually hire staff from all over the world with the secondary goal of increasing my world knowledge through them, which I like.

The bolded part in the post I quoted is my comments, btw.

4 minutes ago, Weston said:

we catch a small error before the game actually start

I think the most annoying part is when you're dragging players, etc. then during the game you noticed them out of position or players missing from the subs bench and a different player was accidentally selected, etc.

Once I had my sub GK in the RB position (I usually chose my starting GK then right-clicked S1 for my sub GK, sometimes it didn't do that :D)

Sometimes doing things out of habit caused all these errors :lol:

13 minutes ago, Weston said:

Congrats! You love to see it. I wonder if I'll leave Bari after this season...

Like I said though things are looking bleak. What a state this team is in to put it slightly into context my starting GK is 2 stars ability and potential my best striker is 3 star ability and potential and out of a squad of 27 only 5 players are 4 star or higher 3 of which have handed in transfer requests because were not in the Champions League this season. I have only £80m to fix this mess. I think with another 0 on the end I would be hard pushed.

Just now, WilsonJuve said:

Like I said though things are looking bleak. What a state this team is in to put it slightly into context my starting GK is 2 stars ability and potential my best striker is 3 star ability and potential and out of a squad of 27 only 5 players are 4 star or higher 3 of which have handed in transfer requests because were not in the Champions League this season. I have only £80m to fix this mess. I think with another 0 on the end I would be hard pushed.

Yeah it's gonna be miserable for a bit, but at least it's a labor of love now and the payoff will be great in the end. If I could just get to Juve I'd feel like I've won.

2 minutes ago, WilsonJuve said:

Moved to Lazio last season 2024/2025 only £8m he is worth £30m currently I wish he was here.

That gives me hope!

The downside of him doing so well for me is, Juventus won't want to let him go now :lol:

2 hours ago, Weston said:

• I never replay games

As someone who largely plays FMT nowadays, there's a couple on the list I can't do namely turning the first window off and enabling attribute masking but I do make use of those if playing the full game:

• I'm ambivalent when it comes to choosing a club. I've had a few favourites down the year with FM that I tend to return to (like Inter or Dortmund) but I'm willing to go anywhere from just outside sure shot title winners to the bottom division. I usually like fallen giant saves though if I were pressed to select just one type of save.
  • I'm the same when it comes to players and staff, I never look online for players.
  • I don't use downloaded tactics. Like to keep things very simple, focus on player roles and maybe 3-4 team instructions.
  • If I'm playing the full game, I'll just use the option to match my qualifications with the club I take over. It doesn't have a massive impact in FMT, so I just stick to international footballer in that game mode.
  • Same on replaying. I've done this a few times before and almost always I've deleted the save file within the hour because I just couldn't continue!
  • FMT has a good guide for selecting players and nations, so I usually load up around 10 nations (all leagues) with around 50k players in a large database. I don't select the same leagues for every save, usually the 5-6 major ones and then a couple of nations that would relate well to the nation I would manage. For example, if I'm starting a save in Italy, I tend to load up Croatia and Slovenia too. This tends to keep saves fresh and remove that "samey" feeling, if you will.
  • No editors in FMT, so I never touch that and wouldn't do it in the full game either.

A few of my other quirks, which I'm sure a few people might find weird:

• On the full game, I never sack my staff right off the bat. I always give them a chance and if they're inferior, I'll look to move them on when their contract expires. In FMT since staff are on rolling contracts, I evaluate the staff when taking over and make the changes and stick with them till they're either poached or retire.
  • I never manually search for staff. I always put out adverts and make my decision by selecting one of the applicants. I used to manually search for staff a few years ago but it just felt exploitative!
  • I never actively transfer list players, nor do I actively look to sell/loan them. I'll accept their requests to be transfer listed from time to time but never do it of my own accord. Mainly because it keeps the value intact and I won't be lowballed. Plus, I like to think that I'm giving everyone a fair chance to make it to the team.
  • I don't manually search for players either. The only players I sign are the ones that my scouts have reports on and occasionally I might specifically ask my scouts to get reports on a player who's played really well against me or is the leading scorer/assister/avg. rating in a competition or something.
  • I don't accept every player request for a new contract. They've either got to be within 2 years of the end of their present deal or they're on genuinely rubbish wages for the level they're playing at.

27 minutes ago, WilsonJuve said:

only 5 players are 4 star or higher

Also keep in mind that the star ratings are relative to your squad, so you could have one 4 star player and have a better squad made up of better players than another club with four 4 star players. What's more key is looking at the staff reports and seeing how they place the player's ability relative to the leagues (good Serie A player, leading Serie A player, etc.).

Le 16/04/2020 à 11:44, quee a dit :

With Parma, we won Serie A and Champions League in 2024 !

image.png.16895bcb4668f489a6615b37c33a48e1.png

Inter and Juve are very disapointing though:

2021-2022: Juve 11th, Inter 14th

2022-2023: Juve 8th, Inter 7th

2023-2024: Juve 12th, Inter 4th

I have a very good team with a good number of regen; Star player are Sandro Tonali and Achraf Hakimi

Best regen is:

image.thumb.png.ee0a08c15ba4378e81dbdf20dfa136a0.png

17 goals and 11 assists in 25 starts (23 sub on) last year.

And I made huge profit on Ivan Lepinjica :

image.thumb.png.fdbf898e4ce89f547f89c2da319b24d3.png

His attributes:

image.thumb.png.abfb85d4358d428963043e7620e5519b.png

He was great for us but wanted to leave to Liverpool.

Edited by CRN711

15 minutes ago, CRN711 said:

With Parma, we won Serie A and Champions League in 2024 !

image.png.16895bcb4668f489a6615b37c33a48e1.png

Inter and Juve are very disapointing though:

2021-2022: Juve 11th, Inter 14th

2022-2023: Juve 8th, Inter 7th

2023-2024: Juve 12th, Inter 4th

I have a very good team with a good number of regen; Star player are Sandro Tonali and Achraf Hakimi

Best regen is:

image.thumb.png.ee0a08c15ba4378e81dbdf20dfa136a0.png

17 goals and 11 assists in 25 starts (23 sub on) last year.

Congrats!

This is another problem I see, though, Juve often does so badly in FM for some reason. Not saying you haven't earned your success, but it's strange that there's often not more competition for it.

Also, I had to google it, but that lad's Andorran? That's so random. Did he come through your youth, or did you find him somewhere else? Should I be scouting Andorra??