Full Highlights

I just read a thread on this board regarding 2D vs 3D match engine, and was very surprised at the number of people who still play the game with the old 2D view, despite this having since been superseded by 3D.

Not only do I watch games in 3D, but I watch Full Highlights. Each match usually takes me 90+mins to complete, which of course is a large time commitment, but I love following the ebb and flow of the game and making incremental changes to see how this effects the performance of my team. Generally speaking this approach works for me, and I have found FM2019 to be the most immersive FM experience I have had in years (the reasonably solid UX outside the ME helps massively, of course). I am currently into my 5th season of a Journeyman save - which, incidentally is still the first (and only) save I have started with FM2019 - and at a total of 850 hours, the longest save I have ever had in many years of playing FM.

This isn't to say that the game is without it's frustrations, which I have raised in other threads - notably crosses into shins, terrible throw-ins and headers to nobody - but mostly I am mitigating/ ignoring these issues and still being surprised and entertained as well as having some of those classic FM moments (debut goals, cult heroes, favourite regens etc.)

I get that everyone has their own preference, but this got me wondering what the 'optimum' way to watch FM games is - or rather, what SI would consider to be the way in which FM is best designed to be consumed. I found it incredibly interesting that Miles recently mentioned on an FM2020 video that he had played "15 or 16" games a previous evening without seeing a goalie handling error - meaning he was mostly watching games with "Key" or "Comprehensive" highlights, I assume?

My own personal perspective is that if the game comes with the capability to watch a match in its entirety, then it should at least be a watchable/ enjoyable experience without any clear and obvious ME issues. I have definitely watched a fair number of terrible FM2019 games, the majority of which I'm sure have been down to ME limitations.

I've been following the FM2020 BETA feedback thread with interest, and am a little bit disappointed with some of the ME feedback being provided. Naturally there have also been numerous comments of "how was this not picked up by the testing team?", which I admit is a thought I've had on a number of occasions. I think  the ultimate test of FM performance is to play a full season in the Vanamara National League North on full highlights - if you don't want to destroy the game after that, then you've got yourself a winner!

So... is there anyone else out there like me foolish enough to watch their games full highlights?

I'm definitely grateful for my laptop and the ability to multi-task - I generally play whilst simultaneously watching real-life sport (football, ice hockey) or Netflix. Feels like I'm not wasting my time quite so much!

I feel like I would probably have a less frustrating experience only watching highlights (imagine, no more blocked crosses!) but for some reason can't not watch a full match. 

Realistically there is no optimum way for people to enjoy FM and you will find that even the SI staff will use different ways of watching the ME.  Like many things in FM< this is  a personal choice and the beauty of the game is that it allows you so many ways of enjoying the game.  Personally I use Extended highlights for important games and Key highlights for the rest

I see matches in full but in 2d, mostly because I can't stand the 3d animation. I also feel 2d is better if you want to see how your team moves tactically. 

By the way, when I play I can usually see two matches in an hour and a half, and that is counting time between matches, because I use the maximum speed. I can't imagine playing a 90-minute FM match.

I watch every game but I watch it in faster speed not normal speed. Even friendly's I have to watch the games. I am 8 years in on my Plymouth save on 2019. Now I'm in the 2020 beta. The normal speed seems like there in slow motion, even worse then slow motion. You have to speed the game up to just under faster to even make it seem the players are realistically playing... But then that really isn't realistic because the time is speed up but the players are at a normal pace... Kinda weird really. But Im the same I can only play in watching full matches. I doubt I would even play this game if you couldn't do so. I have over 4000 hours in 2019. I have nothing against anyone who likes to play in 2D, to each there own.

Interesting. Good to know I'm not alone! Of course, where this approach falls down is when you only have time for one game in the evening, which you have been looking forward to playing all day, against the team rock bottom of the league, who haven't won in 12 games, have just sacked their manager, are playing a rookie GK because of injuries, are all tired from a cup replay a few days ago - versus your team sitting pretty 2nd in the league, fresh, happy and ready to go.

Naturally my team is down 0-4 inside the first 30 minutes.

Naturally their backup CM starting his first game of the season scores two long range beauties.

Naturally their lone journeyman striker outsprints and outworks my younger, faster defence the entire game.

Oh, FM.

Still, managed to get the game back to a slightly more respectable 3-4 playing a very attacking high pressing game for the 2nd half.  If my subs header in the final move of the game had gone in instead of wide it could've been one of my all time classic FM games. Still, fine margins and all that.

Wonder what tonights game will bring...

I use 3D Comprehensive for the majority of games. 

Switch to 2D if I am looking at tactical performance or need to see what is happening with my shape and movement.

It depends on what I am trying to achieve and how much time I have available.

I tried 'full match' playing fm17 and now I can't play any other way. I'm sticking with fm19 as progress is slow due to life in general getting in the way. I have recently tried 2d and key/comprehensive/extended highlights as many YouTubers do, but I just don't feel in control of things or I feel I'm missing out on something. 

A match takes me at least an hour. I play slightly faster than normal, and I have doubled the commentary bar size so my old eyes aren't squinting to read any important info the commentary can give that the 3d won't show. 

Playing full match really does give me great enjoyment. I tend to just play the one match in a single sitting at the pc, so progress is slow especially as I don't bother playing FM if I know I can't dedicate an hour or more to it on a match day. 

One more thing that's changing the way I approach the game is I now try and only use the polygon attribute graph to view and judge players. I find I'm playing players I may never have considered before as the numerical attributes would have put me off. 

My son plays FIFA and absolutely flies through the seasons. I am the complete opposite, and plod my way through like a tortoise through treacle!!!! But that's the way I like it now 😊

At faster speed a game takes me 35 mins. Unfortunately I'm disabled so I can play this way. I feel I see the whole game I can see patterns now I can tell where I need to make changes. Nothing that I did in 2019 is working in 2020 but I think thats partially the team I have now compared to what I did have in a team I built for 8 (in game) years. To me there is no other way to play this game if you have the patience and time but I understand most don't. I am impressed by the match engine this year... If they get the tweaks right I really think this will be the best ME yet. As for the rest of it, there truly is nothing I would have updated for, but since I see the update to the ME improving I'm content, they just gotta get the kinks in the game worked out. So far the development center to me is underwhelming and is at most times an after thought. I liked it better when I could just click on my team or B_team or under 21's or under 18's. Now its just a bunch of clicks to see something thats not useful to you... yet... Maybe the future will prove me wrong.

12 hours ago, Brother Ben said:

Am I right in thinking that if you play this way then you may as well play with all leagues active and on full detail with all players loaded?

Not at all. That all depends on your PC's specs. If I loaded everything on my pc it would crash eventually. I also don't want to hang around for ages waiting for the game to process matches. Full Match just gives me more control and more enjoyment. 

53 minutes ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Not at all. That all depends on your PC's specs. If I loaded everything on my pc it would crash eventually. I also don't want to hang around for ages waiting for the game to process matches. Full Match just gives me more control and more enjoyment. 

ah right, I just thought that if you were slow and methodical you would be less likely to be bothered by longer processing times.  I would imagine you are right about crashing though, i doubt there is a computer in the world that could run the entire thing in full detail over a long save

Personally I've never understood the attraction of Full Highlights. The joy in FM for me is getting into my own little world with real life players being replaced by regens, real life managers being replaced by players. The development of how leagues and competitions play out with some giant clubs falling hard and other minnows reaching the top. For that I want to get through FM at a decent pace. Playing a full years worth of FM and only being five seasons in doesn't seem worthwhile to me but each to their own.

7 hours ago, Boycott said:

Personally I've never understood the attraction of Full Highlights. The joy in FM for me is getting into my own little world with real life players being replaced by regens, real life managers being replaced by players. The development of how leagues and competitions play out with some giant clubs falling hard and other minnows reaching the top. For that I want to get through FM at a decent pace. Playing a full years worth of FM and only being five seasons in doesn't seem worthwhile to me but each to their own.

That's valid, and I can kinda see the appeal. Personally though I'm generally the opposite - the first few seasons are when I enjoy FM the most, with clubs still relatively unchanged and majority of the players real rather than regens. I lose a little interest once the majority of players/ staff are regens and teams are all over the place. During my save I usually always preference signing real life players/ staff over regens. Not 100% sure why, just do. A realism thing, I guess.

This is the fist time I've played FM with a save longer than about 2 seasons, as usually I get bored long before then (or the new FM is out!), so FM19 has done a good job of maintaining my interest. If I end up buying FM2020 (ME feedback-determined) I imagine the developments on club vision etc. will only help with this. For now I'm happy to continue with my FM19 save, maybe I can last another 5 seasons, who knows. I see a lot of posters still play saves on even older FMs, so if the interest is still there, why not.

8 hours ago, Boycott said:

When I'm watching a match, I really like to focus on each transition, who is in space, who is tightly marked, who has limited options due to how the opposition are playing, how am I dealing with the shape of the opposition, what is causing play to break down. Based on this, I'll make lots of micro changes to the system based on how the game is developing. I just don't feel like any other highlight mode gives me that level of control and visibility. 

I also enjoy and can relate to your playing style. I guess that's one reason why I played FM2006 for over 12 years before finally moving to FM2018. 

Edited by DementedHammer