The PL is IMPOSSIBLE

For the third game in a row FM have made it impossible to start off in the PL and have any kind of success.

Yes, I'm not expecting to walk into Newcastle and win all before me but come on, I'm getting destroyed left right and centre and even though my manager has no experience in the game, I have years of experience playing the game, and yet every tactical decision I make the seemingly opposite happens.

I'm getting severely outnumbered at the back, my players either don't close down or they get thrown out of position, they either sit too deep and invite pressure or they leave gaps at the back, passes go astray and players zip past my defenders with ease.

It's absolutely stupid. I've lost my first four league games and even to Tranmere in the Carling Cup.

I'm livid. It's totally ruining my enjoyment of the game. It seems I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't regarding tactics. To have to fanny around with them like this (when you've no FULL idea what you're doing anyway, it's all guess-work) it just making the game less enjoyable. Every team in the PL has superstar players and it's too much trying to combat them whilst also working on your own game. Yes, I'm aware that the PL is a great league in real life but this is a game, it's ridiculous. It's far, far too hard.

As I said, I'm Newcastle and I've brought in Emerson on loan, that's about it. I'm working with a 442 but hey, no matter what I try I just can't buy a goal. I have hardly any shots and the opposition have 10+ attempts, 6+ of which are on target.

Any help, advice would be appreciated.

im the same with charlton i finished 18th n im insecure now as a maanger! iv tried the lot jus not happening jus gta keep tryin last 6 games i ditched my big name players that i had n promoted 5 youth team players and won my last 5!! jonjo shelvey a charlton player...... sign him he is outa this league spurs haver just bid 4 mill 4 him bt u can get him on cheap early on!

"For the third game in a row FM have made it impossible to start off in the PL and have any kind of success. "

What? Plenty of players have had success with managing premier league clubs in the recent games. Maybe you're just bad (only basing that on your previous statement). People will tell you this over and over - 'It's your tactics'. I'm sorry but I just don't have problems getting good looks on goal or any issues with being taken advantage off. The game is definately playable. You should try looking trough this forum and see what others do to succeed in FM09. It's not the game it's you.

Cheers (don't get mad) :D

this game is made for arsenal,liverpool and man u fans

there players are always overrated and they have loads of cash and superb coaches

Erm incase you haven't been following football in recent years, those 3 teams you mention, as well as Chelsea, are among the best in Europe. Would you like them to have players with low attributes, crap coaches and no money?

Would it be realistic for the likes of Newcastle and Middlesborough to finish above them just to make the game easier and reduce the moaning from people who can't handle defeat?

Sorry but your comment is ridiculous

Not to blow my own trumpet, but you might wanna give my tactics a short burst in the 4-1-3-2 thread, I was having the exact same problems, ad providing you have a good DM and good keeper I think they will work well til you find something which is better on all fronts.

Not to blow my own trumpet, but you might wanna give my tactics a short burst in the 4-1-3-2 thread, I was having the exact same problems, ad providing you have a good DM and good keeper I think they will work well til you find something which is better on all fronts.

I shouldn't have to be using other people's tactics though, I've played every FM so far and that experience, along with my football knowledge, should enable me to create my own tactic that has a degree of success.

Or so you'd think.

It really, really does seem that whatever I do, the opposite happens. I try and get forward and get men up there and I leave gaps at the back, so then I try and sit deep and play defensive and it just invites pressure. I close down their danger men and players get dragged out of position and holes appear everywhere but if I don't close them down then they run riot.

It really, really shouldn't be this hard for a mid-table side. I've lost my first six games in all competitions and NOTHING I'm trying is working. How on earth is this playable? I'll be sacked before I've even managed to put my finger on the problem. For all the realism they try and put into this they need to realise it's a GAME.

there players are always overrated and they have loads of cash and superb coaches

Liverpool grossly underrated compared with Manchester Utd tbh. Ferdinand faster than Torres?

Your point is somewhat mute.

If your managerial reputation is low, for example Obscure, your players just don't appear to be listening to you. So if you want to start at a PL club, try setting your experience to International Player in the add manager screen.

I shouldn't have to, I realise while that makes a difference it shouldn't turn all my players into ignorant fools who can't and won't obey instructions. I am aware that in starting at a PL club it does make it harder to get the players motivated but my tactical instructions should still be valid.

Hmm, well I don't know. I started off as manager of Gladbach, got beaten all ends up, 4-0, 5-1, players just didn't seem to react to whatever I did.

So I started over, adjusted my reputation to International Footballer, and while using the same tactics, beating all kinds of higher ranked teams all of a sudden, and on a non-losing streak of 5..

Even beat HSV 3-1 at home, which is quite remarkable, lol.

(Plus, I'm now officially capped 36 times, scoring 11 goals! :D)

Well i started off in League one with leeds using my own made tactic... won the league and got promoted but when i played in the championship i had to basically change my whole tactic to have any success even tho i improved my team very nicely finished only 12th.

The more alarming stat was how many games the top teams lost like 12+ which shows how inconsistant the match engine is even with the AI.

I shouldn't have to be using other people's tactics though, I've played every FM so far and that experience, along with my football knowledge, should enable me to create my own tactic that has a degree of success.

"To have to fanny around with them like this (when you've no FULL idea what you're doing anyway"

Contradicting yo bad self! ;-P

I shouldn't have to, I realise while that makes a difference it shouldn't turn all my players into ignorant fools who can't and won't obey instructions. I am aware that in starting at a PL club it does make it harder to get the players motivated but my tactical instructions should still be valid.

Are you Ramos in disguise maybe? Same thing happened to him IRL....

Rarara, I shouldnt have to do this, I shouldnt have to do that. This isnt a topic for folks to help its a topic for you to moan that you dont have a I.W.I.N button. Consider the facts, you have put yourself obscure and start at a premier league club, Fat ashley is still there and the morale of the club is wrecked. Purely having mid to low PL players doesnt mean you will finish there.

Or so you'd think.

It really, really does seem that whatever I do, the opposite happens. I try and get forward and get men up there and I leave gaps at the back, so then I try and sit deep and play defensive and it just invites pressure. I close down their danger men and players get dragged out of position and holes appear everywhere but if I don't close them down then they run riot.

It really, really shouldn't be this hard for a mid-table side. I've lost my first six games in all competitions and NOTHING I'm trying is working. How on earth is this playable? I'll be sacked before I've even managed to put my finger on the problem. For all the realism they try and put into this they need to realise it's a GAME.

Have you tried reading the tactical theorem and frameworks thread? It's got loads of good tips on it. Given that you are Newcastle you shouldn't be too surprised that you aren't doing well. I beat them with my reserves in the League Cup, they simply aren't a very good team and most of the players aren't up to it. So it is in real life it is in FM09.

Three points:

1) Liverpool have a transfer budget of £3.7 million and some woeful coaches.

2) Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd all made it to the Champions League quarter finals last year which puts them in the top 8 teams in Europe.

3) It's 'their' not 'there'

Hope this helps.

Rarara, I shouldnt have to do this, I shouldnt have to do that. This isnt a topic for folks to help its a topic for you to moan that you dont have a I.W.I.N button. Consider the facts, you have put yourself obscure and start at a premier league club, Fat ashley is still there and the morale of the club is wrecked. Purely having mid to low PL players doesnt mean you will finish there.

You're an idiot who obviously hasn't read all my posts in this thread.

And yes, I've read the TT&F thread, I did for FM08, like I said; it seems that everything I do, the opposite happens. I'm not expecting to win every game, I'm not even asking for a win ffs, I'm merely wanting to see my instructions obeyed and to see a visible change when I tweak my tactics.

If you asked the millions of people that bought these games what the best bit about it is. They would say realism. The whole idea of the game is that it is realistic. If you got bonus points for being Newcastle or if you got crap players for being Man United then whats the point of the game.

It's a SIMULATION game not an RPG you fool!!!!!!

P.S. How did Newcastle get on for the first 8 games of this season????

I'm merely wanting to see my instructions obeyed

The cry of every real life manager including me.

One of the tactics we discussed was that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES will we use a short corner. Leading 3-0 in the 1st half a couple of players decided to be clever and try a short one. The ball didn't even get into the area and I went absolutely mad!

Your so right Mudweiser playing in the premier league is IMPOSSIBLE as Newcastle. Given's stats are crap but he performs ok, the defence isnt bad but the midfield is poor no decent players in their at all. Martins stats are rubbish way worse than he is in rl. Owen wont sign a new contract so has to be sold to make some money and viduka is out for 9 month. How can you win the premier league in your first season with those problems? Oh right we are not supposed to!!!!

I'm around 25 - 26 games into my first season with Newcastle its tough 13th in the league, loads of players sold new blood coming in next year still waiting for a takeover still in relegation trouble. Its fantastic. True to life!!!!!!!

You have to walk before you can run.

Plus of course, we have only had the first patch.

No doubt there will be many more and by the time the game is working as we might expect it to when purchased then the winning tactics will be there and maybe (just maybe) the average player will know what is going on.

Last year I was lucky-I didn't have internet access for the first 6 months and refused to play the unpatched mess that was FM08 (or was that FM07...or 06-oh well, you get the idea) so no early glitch problems for me.

Give it time

To be honest this game seems life like to me, imagine if Newcastle picked some random guy of the streets and told him to manage there club, naturally the players will do things there way, were as if you start off with some reputation, you gain more respect and more likely to be listened too.

It's not a case that you "shouldn't have to", your playing a simulation game thats ment to be close as to real life as possible, stop crying over it and take peoples advice, we shouldn't have to listen to you whinging over it.

Basically any one that wants to play the game properly, take my advice and start up unemployed, much more fun and allows a natural progression into the game, your stats and reputation increase as well as your knowledge of the game and the players. You will make bad desicions and you will make good ones the important thing is in real life you wouldn't have the midas touch would you? Unless Fergie is reading this. How many times have you thought, god he made the wrong desicion there, with regard to a real life manager??? Thats how you should think of yourself!

Anyone that wants to win the league with Newcastle in your first season - edit the database and make the players brilliant. There is no grey area here. The game is made for the millions of purist fans out there and while you may not agree with the stats of certain players they are proffessionally scouted to make the game the most realistic football game ever.

Everton have just signed a contract in real life with SI games to have unprecedented access to the database and to the scouts. They must have scouts of there own so if David Moyes honestly thought that the stats were wrong why would he pay a games company and use thier database???

Man, no offense but you are really have not learned a lot from your previous experience(: You played only 6 matches and you have ALREADY tried everything. If I had such a manager in my team, I would walk away. Players simply have no idea what they would be asked to do next. Dance, maybe?

You have friendlies to observe what works and what does not. But even than you have got to think through BEFORE the very first friendly match what you want from your players, how you going to achieve it and whether your goals are achievable in the nearest future. If you have some ideas about team specifics, you can start from more complicated settings. Otherwise, causious defensive formation (narrow, not many players with forward runs often, global mentality of about 8-9, probably with DM, mixed-to-direct passing, normal tempo) should give you a good starting point. Watch matches in full or at least on extended highlights, focus on what does not work (e.g. closing down, passing, etc.) and tweak a little bit at once.

Don't expect to score a lot even if opposition is from nowhere. And don't bother to win 10-0. Instead look if you create any chances at all and if you create too few think why. You would need 6-7 friendlies and probably a few competitive games for your team to settle.

The most difficult challenge IMHO is to make a TEAM out of a bunch of players. This is especially true for Newcastle.

For the third game in a row FM have made it impossible to start off in the PL and have any kind of success.

Here's my best 1st season for the last three games:

2007: Liverpool Won 34, Drawn 2, Lost 2 (that was my very first full season of FM but I don't remember bettering it in 07, though I may have)

2008: Liverpool Won 36, Drawn 2, Lost 0 (Top 10 at FM-Britain in the One-Season Challenge!)

2009: Liverpool Won 14, Drawn 2, Lost 0 (I haven't finished a whole season yet as I'm mostly playing with my tactics).

Also, without sounding patronizing, remember that FM doesn't give you goals to achieve like most games. The only goals are the ones you set yourself and if you want to enjoy the game you have to make them achievable. For instance, it's not worth setting yourself a goal of winning the prem with Newcastle in your first season as it just aint gonna happen!

What about setting yourself a target of 10th in season one, 6th in season two, top 5 in season three and then a five year goal of winning the prem.

When Arsene took over at Arsenal or when Alex took over at united do you think they had ambitions of winning the prem in 1 year? Doubt it man and they had better starting squads than Newcastle.

Yeah fine it's a game but you need reasonable, achievable goals!!!

Archived