FM20 - Athletic Club - Basque in the Bilbao Sunshine

bowieinspace

19 hours ago, kevbk6222 said:

That's exciting for sure. One thing I've ended up doing a few different times over the years with Athletic saves is moving wide midfielders or wingers back to fullback. If any of the wingers come through with 8s/9s in marking or tackling I'd consider training them to be attacking fullbacks. One of the best players on my save in FM19 was a wingback who came through the youth intake with no experience at the position. He grew to have defensive attributes around 11/12, which was ok considering he was elite going forward. 

Well they've come through now. They've not been described as a golden generation but there are 6 players with first team potential.

Pablo Sukunza - AMR, decent starting stats, think he's best being retrained as a MR to fit in my formation than as a ST. However he is 6'4" so could be one hell of a ST if he can get his strength up

Egoitz Goni - ML, not great stats but apparently potential, certainly question marks over him

Imanol Ojeda - solid looking CM, could work as either the AP or BBM in my formation with some training, definitely liking his starting mental and physical stats

Eneko Nunez - CD with good marking and tackling, probably best on the right of my defence and sure I'll be able to get his passing and technique up to where I would like

Juan Manuel Rodriguez - another AMR, has MR as a starting position too so possibly an even better option for retraining there than Sukunza

Igor Jimenez - GK with good starting stats, hoping he can develop into a good backup or even challenge Simon in the future

Overall a really good group of youth candidates. Shame none of the wide players have decent enough defensive skills to be retrained as DR/DL, but my attacking positions will now have plenty of young options coming through.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After finishing 4th, we've set a high bar for ourselves, and we'll be hoping for much of the same in 20-21. No big squad changes - not a huge transfer budget and no big name players would be interested. Balenziaga and Herrerin both left. In came Remiro (fans weren't too happy)/Fernandez (young Huesca GK) as backup GKs, Kevin Rodrigues came in as backup LB (2m from Real Sociedad), and picked up half a dozen regens who will hopefully develop nicely. Luckily the grumpy players are happier, though Sancet is still annoyed because I rejected a loan move at the start of last season - he's in the first team squad! Jeez, why is everyone so high maintenance this year!!

In to March 2020 now.

Marooned in 4th in the league, 8 points clear of 5th, but some way off the top 3 as well. Just sold Yuri to China for near 40million GBP, brought in Munoz for his release clause. Certainly on CA this is a downgrade and Balenziaga will be filling in as Yuri left immediately but no Munoz until the summer... however Yuri was north of 30, so the opportunity to get that much money for him and get Munoz in, with plenty leftover was too good of an option given our league situation.

Edited by bowieinspace

7 hours ago, bowieinspace said:

In to March 2020 now.

Marooned in 4th in the league, 8 points clear of 5th, but some way off the top 3 as well. Just sold Yuri to China for near 40million GBP, brought in Munoz for his release clause. Certainly on CA this is a downgrade and Balenziaga will be filling in as Yuri left immediately but no Munoz until the summer... however Yuri was north of 30, so the opportunity to get that much money for him and get Munoz in, with plenty leftover was too good of an option given our league situation.

I've found Munoz and Rodrigues to be very solid at left back in my game, had no regrets letting Yuri go for them.

8 hours ago, cemendur88 said:

I've found Munoz and Rodrigues to be very solid at left back in my game, had no regrets letting Yuri go for them.

Yeah they look good, although it was probably a year and a bit earlier than I thought I’d be making that swap, Yuri is still better than both. Either way, the opportunity was too good and may give me a little more cash in the summer.

in the end Balenziaga left a week later too, I got offers from some Saudi teams for him. That left me with Lekue and De Marcos playing LB. obviously a bit short of depth there with but again probably fairly safe to do it given my position. By the end of the summer I’ll have a young squad with a lot of potential with very few older players to worry about.

WS6NUEI.jpg

Firstly ignore the line up, this is a slightly rotated 11

I'm playing a very attacking 4-3-3, loosely in the current Liverpool style I guess for a comparison. The focus is playing down the flanks, with both full backs providing the width and the wide forwards cutting inside. 

I decided on this strategy because:

- Athletic's centre backs are very capable, and aren't slow, so I can play a high line.
- Utilising San Jose and Moncayola as a half back means my centre backs are supported and form a back 3 in a lot of situations. In transitions the formation ends up as more of a 3-4-3, and then in attack as more of a 2-3-2-3. I am a big fan of using a half back and aggressive full backs.
- A BBM and supporting mezzala in midfield balance things quite well, I wanted both to provide support in and around the both but without overloading those areas and congesting things, I tried a few roles and this seemed to suit my players. I could switch the mezzala to an AP as well and will be experimenting with this
- Everything is urgent and high tempo because I want my players to exploit space when we win the ball high up the pitch before the opposition can reorganise. Only exception is I have work ball into box selected to make sure when we are building attacks against a deep defence that we don't rush shots

Edited by bowieinspace

Just got to the player unhappiness part. Muniain wants to leave to play Champions League, we're currently set for 4th in the league comfortably with a few games to go. He thinks there is no chance for that to happen here so he needs to move, absolutely no chat options for me to tell him he can go if we don't get Champions League and the game obviously isn't taking our current position in to account. Very annoying, same with Inigo Martinez too. We are literally one game away from qualifying haha.

Edit, now Inaki Williams as well

Edited by bowieinspace

1 hour ago, bowieinspace said:

Just got to the player unhappiness part. Muniain wants to leave to play Champions League, we're currently set for 4th in the league comfortably with a few games to go. He thinks there is no chance for that to happen here so he needs to move, absolutely no chat options for me to tell him he can go if we don't get Champions League and the game obviously isn't taking our current position in to account. Very annoying, same with Inigo Martinez too. We are literally one game away from qualifying haha.

Edit, now Inaki Williams as well

Same thing happened to me. They eventually dropped their concerns, so I wouldn't worry, although Martinez has got a huge funk on at the moment and is training badly too. I've dropped him from the starting XI and focused on Yeray and Nunez. Sod him. 

A dozen games into 20-21 and we're almost certainly missing the CL places and battling for 5th. Obviously Barca and the two Madrids are running away with things, but Villareal are matching them!!! At the moment, it's us and Sevilla battling for 5th/6th. Luckily the board's requirements for the next few seasons are Europa League, but I won't be happy with that. 

We've won all 5 home games, and away from home have drawn 4 and lost 3 (no wins - all losses were to Real, Atletico Madrid and Villareal at least). It's pretty turgid stuff atm. I reckon this is going to be a pivotal season and we move some guys on either in Jan or the Summer. 

Just finished up the last of the guide posts. The youth one was tricky because I had massive variance in the various test saves I did in regards to coaches perceived ability of the players. 

I did something new with the squad building section, if anyone has any thoughts or additions let me know.

2019/20 Season Review

lSUB4r3.jpg

A solid 4th place finish, Champions League, lovely.

Vpd9nDk.jpg

Inaki Williams top scored the league! I've always struggled to get him scoring in past games but he's been excellent so far.

Transfers

pJaeLR9.jpg

47rELUr.jpg

The biggest changes here were in the left back area, the money for Yuri was just far too good, so we accelerated our plans to bring in Munoz. Rodrigues is an absolute steal at 700k to replace Balenziaga - delighted to make the two swaps at a big profit. We also brought in Alvaro Fernandez as a back up keeper, Herrerin wants a new challenge so moved early to secure a back up, but Herrerin might stay after all. Only further transfer is a loan move out for Guruzeta. I also let Guarrotxena go after a bad injury derailed him completely.

Squad now looks like this:

GK: Simon, Herrerin, Fernandez
RB: Capa, Lekue
LB: Munoz, Rodrigues
CB: Martinez, Yeray, Nunez, Vivian
DM: Moncoyola, San Jose
CM: Dani Garcia, Oroz, Sancet, Raul Garcia, Ibarrondo
RW: Williams, Larrazabal 
LW: Muniain, Gomez
CF: Cordoba, Villalibre
Flexi: De Marcos

Youth Intake

A couple of good players here, although no golden generation or anything like that, however some players in potentially useful positions having gotten two good strikers. I've also included Jose Angel Martinez who I purchased from Osasuna, he's a DM so pretty ideal given San Jose and Dani Garcia are over 30 now. The highlight was Iker Garcia who is a model citizen!!

Alex Gabilondo

Iker Garcia

Jose Angel Martinez

s promoting a youth player to the senior team and just marking him as available for u19/B/C team for 90 minutes a bad idea? I need to do that  since i can't control their training when their in those teams

Edited by paperbox

4 hours ago, weematt7 said:

How is Sancet and Nolaskoian doing in everyones saves, done really well for me on FM19.

My Sancet is coming on well but Nolaskoain doesn’t look good. I’ve sent him out on loan again this year but doubt he will ever make it for me

5 hours ago, weematt7 said:

How is Sancet and Nolaskoian doing in everyones saves, done really well for me on FM19.

Very happy with Sancet's development. He's a first choice CM in less than a season and a half. I don't think Nolaskoian will be a long term option. Happy to keep him around on loan, but he'll really need to kick on. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 19.24.05.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 19.24.18.png

finishing my first season, Currently 3 points behind real in 2nd place with 3 games to go and Herrerin, Inigo martinez, muniain and unai nunez all decide they want to join a bigger club. Fml

edit: Capa also wants to leave :(

edit2: inaki williams too

Edited by paperbox

12 minutes ago, paperbox said:

finishing my first season, Currently 3 points behind real in 2nd place with 3 games to go and Herrerin, Inigo martinez, muniain and unai nunez all decide they want to join a bigger club. Fml

They'll pipe down once you get CL football.

53 minutes ago, paperbox said:

already qualified for CL, all except Herrerin want to win the league which will probably take a while to achieve

Interesting that you've had them unhappy because they want to win the league, whereas I think everyone else on here has it in regards to qualifying for the Champions League. I wonder if that's to do with how close you are to winning it this season. Good job by the way!

1 minute ago, bowieinspace said:

I'm about to kick off season 2 and Muniain has gotten over his unhappiness, but Williams and Inigo Martinez are still pissed off

Martinez still has his funk on. Nunez is getting antsy as well. As is Ruben flipping Pardo, who wants to move to a bigger club. Dude, Sociedad couldn't wait to get shot of you, who do you think wants to sign you? 

I've had the big players unhappy on-and-off for most of my 3 and a bit seasons so far, think it's just gonna be a thing on the beta for now. Luckily they now all have good enough release causes that I can keep them at the club no matter how unhappy they get. 

In other transfer news as I finish the transfer window for this summer I managed to persuade the board to spend £47.5m on a 17-year old RB newgen from Barca. It was his release clause. By far best RB newgen to come through so far, but he goes into the U19s for now until he's ready to replace Lekue. Uriate has also been promoted to the first team for extra depth in CM.

Dani Garcia and Capa have also left this window, now just got to work out if I want to keep Martinez as his contract is running out but he wants so much damn money. Got a few young prospects who could come up to replace him, but none close to his level yet. Muniain has asked to leave as he's achieved all he wants at the club. I've agreed to list him as Oroz has replaced him at first choice and the depth at CM is now Oroz, Merino, Munian, Nolaskoain (first choice DM), Sancet, Moncayola (backup DM), Uriate. 

Edited by cemendur88

Out of interest is anyone finding the unhappiness bug so bad they would consider the in game editor to fix it on full game release?

ive never used the editor before but if my players don’t lose their unhappiness I’d genuinely consider it, as complaining about wanting to play champions league when we are about to qualify, and their happiness not recovering is a clear bug.

Also a separate point, but what is everyone’s notes on determination attributes for their younger prospects at the start of the game? Sancet, Lopez, Villalibre, Nolaskoain as well I think amongst others all have a totally random determination attribute. I’m quite annoyed as my Unai Lopez came through with det 4, Villalibre 6, both are a bit nuts for players with a lot of games in the top 2 divisions IRL...seems mad they would have such random determination attributes, and that these could come through so low for good players. Unai Lope I’ve let go anyway,  and Villalibre I have managed to get his determination up a fair bit through mentoring, but just annoying and seems to be worse this year for me than in previous years 

Just finished my first season missed out on CL football on the last game of the season.

Let San Jose go in January on a free to AL-Sadd as he was going there in the summer anyway

Lekue and Lopez both went out on loan

O4U71Ab.png

TTeApN6.png

2 hours ago, MWE said:

Just finished my first season missed out on CL football on the last game of the season.

Let San Jose go in January on a free to AL-Sadd as he was going there in the summer anyway

Lekue and Lopez both went out on loan

O4U71Ab.png

TTeApN6.png

Unfortunate there, good points total and a shame Levante did so well. They were excellent in my first season too although dropped off a little down the stretch

4 hours ago, bowieinspace said:

Out of interest is anyone finding the unhappiness bug so bad they would consider the in game editor to fix it on full game release?

ive never used the editor before but if my players don’t lose their unhappiness I’d genuinely consider it, as complaining about wanting to play champions league when we are about to qualify, and their happiness not recovering is a clear bug.

Also a separate point, but what is everyone’s notes on determination attributes for their younger prospects at the start of the game? Sancet, Lopez, Villalibre, Nolaskoain as well I think amongst others all have a totally random determination attribute. I’m quite annoyed as my Unai Lopez came through with det 4, Villalibre 6, both are a bit nuts for players with a lot of games in the top 2 divisions IRL...seems mad they would have such random determination attributes, and that these could come through so low for good players. Unai Lope I’ve let go anyway,  and Villalibre I have managed to get his determination up a fair bit through mentoring, but just annoying and seems to be worse this year for me than in previous years 

I have started a couple of test saves, one with Athletic, but decided to wait for full release to do anything besides some tactic experiments as I even had players in my B team moaning on the 10th of July of being left out the Segunda B squad list!! 

46 minutes ago, bowieinspace said:

I have to say I am finding the new match engine to be very good, seems like a great improvement and far closer to real life than the initial match engine in a lot of ways 

Isn't it a little too Liverpool-ish? What I mean is that from what I've seen so far in my games and on videos online is a great focus on fullbacks/wingbacks play. Each game FB/WB will play long diagonal passes, it is great to unsettle opposition, but also unrealistic that any team would be able to pull that off. 

But in general I agree, they seem they didn't revolutionised things, but improve a lot. A minor note, I am still very frustrated when on a 2v2 situation in the box, my players always shoot by a side position even if their mate is free with the goal open. They should add a TI for "play back crosses".

On 12/11/2019 at 15:31, paperbox said:

s promoting a youth player to the senior team and just marking him as available for u19/B/C team for 90 minutes a bad idea? I need to do that  since i can't control their training when their in those teams

No I do that with all my best youth prospects as you have to have them in the senior team for them to be mentored. I also find it easier to have them there to give them the odd game in the cups or whatever. 

Plus like you say you can control their training without having to control the training for all the youth teams, basically my youth teams are for 'lesser' prospects and I then focus on the best 3-4 in the first team with specific training, mentoring, etc. 

9 hours ago, Pavi said:

Isn't it a little too Liverpool-ish? What I mean is that from what I've seen so far in my games and on videos online is a great focus on fullbacks/wingbacks play. Each game FB/WB will play long diagonal passes, it is great to unsettle opposition, but also unrealistic that any team would be able to pull that off. 

But in general I agree, they seem they didn't revolutionised things, but improve a lot. A minor note, I am still very frustrated when on a 2v2 situation in the box, my players always shoot by a side position even if their mate is free with the goal open. They should add a TI for "play back crosses".

I found the long diagonals were much worse prior to the patch a day or two ago, since then it seems more balanced to me

Finished the 20-21 season and another 4th place (14pts off 3rd). Got through a CL group with Inter and Dortmund, but then lost in the first knockouts to Shakhtar, which was annoying! 

No big moves in/out this season. Some regens coming in from Eibar, Osasuna, etc. This Summer I'll look to move De Marcos, Benat, Raul Garcia, Ibai Gomez, Vicente, Larrazabal, etc. - but we've got some young players I'd want to bring into the squad next season. Vencedor has kicked on well out on loan. Iker Munoz came in from Osasuna earlier this season. They'll both cover for Benat and Raul Garcia. Moncayola is proving difficult to sign (he's not worth 16m, is he?)

Looking like a period of consolidation for a while, I think. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 21.03.52.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 21.04.01.png

16 minutes ago, cemendur88 said:

Like a couple of months at a time? Generally they get to a point in the season, want to move to a bigger club, I refuse, and after the club does well in the season their unhappiness generally goes away.

I’m at 7 months now with Williams and Martinez

18 minutes ago, cemendur88 said:

Ouch, that's definitely longer than it's ever lasted for in my save so far. Not sure what's going on there, maybe another problem to do with the beta? Can't imagine how annoying that must be for you.

Yeah driving my nuts. I’ve dropped Williams at this point, sadly had to play Martinez as Yeray and Nunez both injured

29 minutes ago, bowieinspace said:

I’m at 7 months now with Williams and Martinez

Martinez is a complete git in my game. He's constantly unhappy and his training performances are dreadful. No matter how often I tell him I'm disappointed, it never improves. I'm waiting for someone to sign him, but nobody ever comes in, so I'm saddled with him. 

AejwLr4.jpg

A little tactical update, still working on basically the same philosophy but a few key changes:

Line of engagement has been dropped by a lot, and defensive line has been dropped as well but not quite as much. I wanted us to do two things 1) Still press high on goal kicks (hence the stop short GK distribution TI) but in general play after our counter press fails, I wanted us to be a little deeper and more compact. Especially against weaker teams who park the bus I want to draw them out, and against better teams I wanted to make us a little tighter. 

Pace of play has dropped, we are still on an attacking mentality but pace and passing length, alongside width are at the standard values for that mentality. I wanted to keep the same philosophy but go a little less extreme. Especially with more teams parking the bus now our reputation is a bit higher, the high pace was hindering us.

Roles - I've changed these around a bit particularly in midfield, I am now using a CM (A) and an AP (S). I felt that not having a playmaker in midfield to dictate play was harming our build up. Now the AP sits really nicely in space in midfield and can control things. I also changed the right back to a WB (S).

Edited by bowieinspace

36 minutes ago, bowieinspace said:

ctXHEKr.jpg

Now I fully believe the game had a plan all along...

Step 1) Make Inaki Williams unhappy
Step 2) Remove his unhappiness a week before the derby with Real Sociedad
Step 3) Profit

Literally, take a bow! Amazing result!

Well just started the World Cup winter break in 2022 and Martinez has broken his leg. He's out for 5 to 7 months. I've registered Herrando as his replacement but certainly going to be weaker for it. Not got many other good young central defenders coming through so hoping I get some good ones in the next youth intake. Luckily next two months is just easy friendlies to keep people fit whilst the World Cup's on.