FM20: Can B teams be promoted?

So this year we finally have an option to ask the board for a B team if we manage a team that starts without one. My question is: can the B Team be promoted higher and play in "normal" leagues or is it - again - forever confined to its starting point and some arranged friendly games?

Edited by Soviet

I seem to recall that you cannot have an A- Team and B-Team in the same league. I would think this is because of the potential of them playing each and potential of questions how hard did one team try...imagine last game of the season for the A-team to get 3 points to win the league and the last match was A v B. I think this is how it works in say Spain

25 minutes ago, Herbie2100 said:

It's down to the league rules, in the country you are playing in. 

We're not asking if B team can play in 1st tier with us. We're asking if B team can be promoted from non-simulated league to 3rd/4th tier that's fully simulated, with schedule and such, given good enough players of course.

Edited by Soviet

Teams are promoted from unplayable leagues to playable leagues based on their reputation. The higher the rep the higher the chance they get promoted. What i would like to know is how will the game work this out for a B Team that is created when we request it. Im going to play as Dynamo Dresden who have no B Team. I only want a B Team if i can get them into a playable league. B Teams in Germany can only play as high as 3.liga. If i request a B  Team when im playing Bundesliga football with Dresden will they be put straight into 3.liga (the playable league). Thats not likely to happen. Will they be put into the 4th tier with a decent rep so the have a chance of being promoted to 3. liga. Or will they be put even lower than that. The game might just create a B Team and not put them in a League. We have no idea how this works. It would be nice if someone from SI could explain the process of this and how it works

Edited by wicksyFM

Newly "created" teams usually start at the very bottom of pyramid, somewhere in regional leagues, so it can take a few years for them to get promoted higher. So yeah, it would be good to know if they can be promoted at all. But the lack of response from anyone knowleadgable enough makes me think it's not really an option...

Edited by Soviet

I'd be particularly curious about Italian leagues. Last year Juventus  Zebre were able to enter their B team in Serie C (third tier and lowest playable division in FM) as they were the only club in the country who even requested a B team. Serie C is also the lowest possible division to enter a B team in Italy irl (they can be promoted to Serie B but can't play in Serie D if relegated) so not sure how FM will handle this, IF it's even possible to request a B team in Italy in FM (haven't seen that option available so far).

I asked Miles about it on twitter and he said that b teams can get promoted if the league rules allow it. He didn't answer my question about what factors the promotion is based on though. I understand it. He prbly has enough to do as it is right now. Maybe we can get a mod to answer it. 

Im doing a test to see exactly how asking for a B Team works. 

I have took over Dynamo Dresden and the first thing i did was ask for a B Team. Board said no due to poor finances.

I reloaded the save and used FMRTE to give us loads of money.

I asked the board for a B Team. They said yes.

I got a message saying that i will have B team set up at the end of the season and the will be put into the league structure.

Im now holidaying to see how this plays out. I will update when i know

Top clubs in the 4th tier have a rep around or above 4000. So getting my b team into a playable league would be incredibly lucky. one way to do it would be to use FMRTE to boost the b team rep to 5000.

Save and reload on the league reset day which is around 19th June. You will get them in that way

13 hours ago, wicksyFM said:

Top clubs in the 4th tier have a rep around or above 4000. So getting my b team into a playable league would be incredibly lucky. one way to do it would be to use FMRTE to boost the b team rep to 5000.

Save and reload on the league reset day which is around 19th June. You will get them in that way

So they can be promoted? Thanks for the experiement! :D

15 hours ago, wicksyFM said:

Have you tested it? I tried that in 19 with cheatengine and it didn't work. 

I tested it on FM19. Gave my B team a reputation of 10000. They never promoted in 4 seasons. I even moved my best youngsters there. I also tried the reloading method many times without success. The way I see it, only teams that are in the next league below the lowest playable league will promote to a playable league. I never managed to get the B team promoted from an unplayable league to another unplayable league.

Edited by Vali184

18 hours ago, Vali184 said:

I tested it on FM19. Gave my B team a reputation of 10000. They never promoted in 4 seasons. I even moved my best youngsters there. I also tried the reloading method many times without success. The way I see it, only teams that are in the next league below the lowest playable league will promote to a playable league. I never managed to get the B team promoted from an unplayable league to another unplayable league.

In FM17 I had about 20-25 attempts at reloading and Barca B with the highest rep never got promoted up to a playable league

On 11/11/2019 at 22:55, wicksyFM said:

485418728_SebastianBrennecke_Inbox.thumb.png.67afcc18d8d7f45501270f0c82b29142.png

B Team created and placed in 4th Tier regionaliga

Sounds a bit high for a B team to enter the league structure. Shouldnt it be placed far lower in the pyramid, being a new team? 

I remember when RB Leipzig was entered, they started in the 5th tier, but that was just because they bought the license of another team there, Markkranstädt...

Il 8/11/2019 in 01:34 , kandersson ha scritto:

I'd be particularly curious about Italian leagues. Last year Juventus  Zebre were able to enter their B team in Serie C (third tier and lowest playable division in FM) as they were the only club in the country who even requested a B team. Serie C is also the lowest possible division to enter a B team in Italy irl (they can be promoted to Serie B but can't play in Serie D if relegated) so not sure how FM will handle this, IF it's even possible to request a B team in Italy in FM (haven't seen that option available so far).

I'm curious about this too, I started a career with Milan but among the requests to the management does not include the possibility of asking the team B, although it should be possible since Juventus has one, if someone could give me some information about it I would be grateful

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Having followed the above advice with RB Leipzig my results were as follows. RB II entered into the Regionalliga for their first season (2nd in game year) . After boosting reputation to 10,000 , they moved in their 2nd year to the Regionallida Nord (I believe this represents a promotion) . 10 reloads of my save resulted in the same three teams promoted into 3. Liga, and everytime RB II were put into the Nord division. Looking at the promoted teams history, they came from the Regionalliga regional divisions. Hopfully after another season RB II will be in the 3. liga. I will keep this thread updated, I reckon I'll finish the season in a week tops hopefully.

Edited by ArcaPulse

Playable League 1 and League 2.

League 3 not playable. This League has data because it needs to generate teams to promote to the active League 2. It uses the Rank system.

B Team in League 4 and as far as I can tell this means there is no data for the team at all. There is no simulation at all. It doesn't generate promotion team for League 3 because League 3 isn't active.

If you are in the league just below a playable one, you can get rank based promotions. Because a playable league has those promotion places that forces the non-playable league to generate promotion teams.

If  you are 2 or more leagues below a playable league I think you are in some kind of non-existent state.

• 4 weeks later...

I play with SD Huesca in the 2nd league, and replaced my B team with another one from the 3rd league. It was the only way to get it into a playable league. But now they're the last team in the 3rd league... 

I can provide some feedback based on my experience. 

I am using the Lower Leagues Norway editor files with the latest version of the database which unlocks the Norwegian Third and Fourth divisions. Search Passion4FM Norway if you are interested. 

I am managing Lyn Football, who start in the third division which is unplayable, however it is available to be selected when starting a game, you just can't manage a team in that league without the editor files. 

SI added this division to improve the realism for B teams in the Norway leagues. 

Lyn Football reserves team is in the fourth division and i have managed to get them in the second division which is as high as they are allowed to go. Should the 1st team get relegated to the second division, Lyn 2 will be relegated to the third division. 

Being able to manage the reserve team in a playable league can help non 1st team players develop quicker i find. 

The reserve teams are not allowed in any cup competitions, so league games only. 

• 1 month later...

I have read through this thread and there's some great research but so I can be clear, if a German B team is generated in the 5th tier (unplayable) will they ever be able to get into the 3rd (playable tier)? Or can they only reach the 3rd tier if they were placed into the 4th straight away?

If that's unclear I want to make it a bit easier to understand, can B team be promoted from one unplayable league to another? 

12 minutes ago, lewis999 said:

I have read through this thread and there's some great research but so I can be clear, if a German B team is generated in the 5th tier (unplayable) will they ever be able to get into the 3rd (playable tier)? Or can they only reach the 3rd tier if they were placed into the 4th straight away?

If that's unclear I want to make it a bit easier to understand, can B team be promoted from one unplayable league to another? 

They can be promoted to 3rd tier. But it is not likely to happen. Their rep will be to low to have the chance of it happening. You could use the in game editor or a third party editor to boost your B team rep then you will have a higher chance of it happening

2 minutes ago, wicksyFM said:

They can be promoted to 3rd tier. But it is not likely to happen. Their rep will be to low to have the chance of it happening. You could use the in game editor or a third party editor to boost your B team rep then you will have a higher chance of it happening

Okay so my plan is to start as an amateur team in the 7th tier of Germany. I will put the U19 team into a playable league in the modified database as that's an important part if that doesn't become playable. I will however get to the point where I can ask for a B team. Would you recommend I wait until i'm higher up the pyramid so the B team get placed into a higher division or is that not how it works?

Just now, lewis999 said:

Okay so my plan is to start as an amateur team in the 7th tier of Germany. I will put the U19 team into a playable league in the modified database as that's an important part if that doesn't become playable. I will however get to the point where I can ask for a B team. Would you recommend I wait until i'm higher up the pyramid so the B team get placed into a higher division or is that not how it works?

I would wait until at least 2.Bundesliga. But, playing with a modified database may cause issues when it comes to putting your B team in a League. I only know what happens and how to get them playable on a standard database.

But if you go ahead with the save, as your playing with a modified database the rep of your b team wont be an issue. They will get promoted if the players in the team are good enough. 

1 minute ago, wicksyFM said:

I would wait until at least 2.Bundesliga. But, playing with a modified database may cause issues when it comes to putting your B team in a League. I only know what happens and how to get them playable on a standard database.

But if you go ahead with the save, as your playing with a modified database the rep of your b team wont be an issue. They will get promoted if the players in the team are good enough. 

Just dont want to put all the effort into it, make my own kits etc, live stream it all and then gets to 6 seasons in and I hit a few issues that may kill the game and the enjoyment of the viewers. 

• 4 months later...

I'm sorry to bring this up almost a year after the game came out, but just to confirm that it is possible. As you can see, Sporting CP created a B team in 2024 (placed in Campeonato Distrital - 4th tier - unplayable) and they got promoted to Campeonato de Portugal (3rd tier - last playable league) in 2028/29.

Campeonato de Portugal_ Stages.png

Sporting CP B_ Profile.png

On 19/09/2020 at 09:14, CJ'43 said:

I'm sorry to bring this up almost a year after the game came out, but just to confirm that it is possible. As you can see, Sporting CP created a B team in 2024 (placed in Campeonato Distrital - 4th tier - unplayable) and they got promoted to Campeonato de Portugal (3rd tier - last playable league) in 2028/29.

Campeonato de Portugal_ Stages.png

Sporting CP B_ Profile.png

If you ask the board to create a B team, it can get promoted.

B teams that are already in the starting database can't get promoted to a playable league, at least in Spain. 

3 hours ago, Vali184 said:

If you ask the board to create a B team, it can get promoted.

B teams that are already in the starting database can't get promoted to a playable league, at least in Spain. 

Reserve teams in unplayable leagues can get promoted to playable leagues. I've had it happen myself with reserve/B teams that are in the starting database (such as Dortmund).

In Norway, if you use a modified databased available online, the B/Second/Reserve team can reach the second division but cannot go any higher. Managing Lyn Fotball for example, their second team starts in the fourth division and i was able to manage them (and the first team) and get them promoted twice.