Jimbo's Thread (aka [FM20] Nordicland - The Northener Diaries.)

1 minute ago, Zilla Blitz said:

Great work on this! I'm enjoying following along.

If a patch doesn't address the reputation-spike issue with existing saves, would you start over or put in place some sort of house rule about not jumping more than one level up?

I'm not really sure. I don't really think it will be an issue though because stuff like this is always save-game compatible. It's not a question of if I will have to re-start if they fix it, but whether they can fix it or not. As far as I'm concerned I will be just continuing and if I feel that an offer is right then I will go for it. We are flying at the moment, but this still wasn't right. 

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

May 2021

831500ab2dbe8770c7467e78cafa90a4.png

Swedish Second Division West Götaland. Well the good news is that we are now unbeaten in 14 league games. The bad news is that we have drawn 4 of the last 5 and have slipped to 3rd in the table. Part of me thinks I should change the tactic, but the other part of me thinks that I should just be patient and that it's early days yet and I just need to keep the faith. 

0ac85c29e0f1ab1a1c24291a544d4ebd.png

aef1d88a1c6087acf4eda76094b7a7e1.png

Goal-scoring GK Becker converted 2 penalties in the 2-2 draw against Stafsinge IF to bring him to 3 goals for the season. 

9294e7f36f4d13118560fd32db066f57.png

Strange. Jun 2021

Pedrosa (BAL) is Brazilian and Brazilian only.

36d1bcbc95ad72938b68a04869f2774e.png

4f132f09b7cdec68b98f9edf79b374b4.png

I signed him during the 1st season of the save after a suggestion from my DoF and though nothing about it. He's been one of our better defenders and I have been quite happy with him. I want to keep him at the club so I offered him a new contract, (as I have done the last 2 seasons), and I was surprised to see that because he is a non-EU resident, I can't sign him. Well how come I was able to sign him in 2019 and then offer him another contract in 2020 then? 

ea78467cea5f6ad0daf7bc26a1532779.png

This sounds like another bug I think. 

I downloaded an update before playing yesterday, so maybe this was a fix that was wrong at the start and is correct now? Anyway, will have a look in the Bugs Forum and report it if I can'see it mentioned. 

[Edit]

This is a bit contradictory. 

Teams are not allowed to sign non-EU players. 

Maximum 1-year contract length for non-EU players. 

Well which one is it? :idiot:

48296eb2ef31f2dbc4b4ba5dbd2746f1.png

Edited by Jimbokav1971
5 minutes ago, henryzz said:

If your reputation has spiked, fixing the cause won't fix the value straight away. It may drift down towards where it should be but reputation is the sort of thing that is much harder to lose than gain.

Yeah, I get that. We will just have to see how it goes. I don't particularly want to make a huge jump because I want to win lots of different competitions, so skipping out Tier 2 and Tier 3 and jumping straight to Tier 1 is not really what the save is all about. If I wanted to just manage in to top Leagues I wouldn't have bothered loading the lower leagues. I want to just win something and move on, although I might be willing to stay at a top tier club in Nations later in the save to try and progress in Europe, but that's a LONG way away. 

Another interview invite. Jun 2021.

70ca656d95c640193224c52c57430371.png

IF Elfsborg are 15th in the Premier Division.

3e27188d44672e50b83726fa8059a4d1.png

e2e843c4fe000af92665de44d819a71a.png

This is a MORE realistic job, and I think in normal circumstances I might have think it was reasonable, but in light of the reputation issues I know exist I am still ruling it out as an option. 

Jun 2041.

Swedish Second Division West Götaland. After 14 games undefeated, we finally properly choked against Tvååkers IF. We had been trying and failing to choke recently as we churned out draw after draw after draw, and maybe this defeat, (and a resulting change of tactics), will inspire us to improved performances over the remaining 3 months of the season. 

01a99b07a695f15d547db7dc430ac107.png

dfecd7ee8bcf8b67cd778a8fc0c13c24.png

Goal-scoring GK Becker scored his 4th goal of the season, (again from the spot).

533c0d083e68b5ff7aa150532e73115f.png

Jul 2021.

Swedish Second Division West Götaland. We've changed tactic, and although we are drawing less, we are also losing more. 

17111e43d45cf64a4f1e2df9e3201949.png

49cac69edcdc94de3986d1ee8c4f16c0.png

Goal-scoring GK Becker notched his 5th penalty of the season. 

e5de6c7e73400ba455ff6ace99b9ea83.png

Edited by Jimbokav1971

The amount of interviews you are getting makes your decision to stay all the more realistic I think.

The league is tight, do you still have hope for second (or first) place?

On a sidenote you inspired me to start a Scandinavian save as well, starting in the Swedish lower leagues is something I used to very regularly in the past and seems like a nice new save now I finished my inaugural Ajax season.

How does the shorter season affect player development? Does it make it harder to develop the youngsters? Do you have to make sure that they are in the team a higher % of the time to develop(ending up with the same game time)?

2 hours ago, JonasAjax said:

The amount of interviews you are getting makes your decision to stay all the more realistic I think.

The league is tight, do you still have hope for second (or first) place?

On a sidenote you inspired me to start a Scandinavian save as well, starting in the Swedish lower leagues is something I used to very regularly in the past and seems like a nice new save now I finished my inaugural Ajax season.

I changed tactics after the last update and my thinking was that if it worked we still had time to overhaul the leaders and become Champions. On the flip side, if it went badly then there was every chance if us dropping out of contention completely. 

The season is finished and I also have a new Youth Intake to update you with. Unfortunately I'm at work and won't be playing/updating until approx 15:00 UK time. 

Champions?

Playoffs?

Narrowly missed out?

Imploded completely and way off leaders?

Sacked? 

Golden Generation?

Generational Talent?

Pile of rubbish? 

2 hours ago, henryzz said:

How does the shorter season affect player development? Does it make it harder to develop the youngsters? Do you have to make sure that they are in the team a higher % of the time to develop(ending up with the same game time)?

They are good questions, but the truth is it doesbt really matter. There is no point managing in Gibraltar and expecting development like Sweden and there is no point managing in Sweden and expecting development like Italy. You just have to do the beat with the resources you have available. 

More playing doesnt actually mean more development at an early age. Certainly some 1st Team games is better than 0 1st team games, but at the same time over-playing youngsters can also cause issues. There needs to be a happy medium a d there certainly is a tipping point, but this isn't set in stone and lots of variables affect it such as the individual player, competition level, pitch condition and of course training to name but a few

Dont try to train a player to the optimum level. Just try to train him as best you can.

11 minutes ago, henryzz said:

I was sort of thinking top of the country qualifying for champions league sort of level so good facilities. I was also thinking about the difference between 5 and 10 games rather than trying to give youth 20+ games.

Well the truth is I don't know because I'm not sure that I have ever managed in Sweden's top tier. 

At the moment I'm playing a 26 league game season with absolutely 0 Cup games, but on top of that all my players are either on Youth, Semi-Pro or Non Contract contracts. 

Compare that to my FM19 save where I was playing 90+ competitive games in a season and everyone was signed to Pro deals on their 16th birthday. 

Of course there is a difference between giving a Youth player 5-10 games and 20 games a season, but you just have to play the cards you are dealt. In a perfect World I would play a Youth player for 30 minutes in every single match, but of course I use an IR button so I have had to adapt things and in order to give a youth player game-time I have to start him and then trust the Ass Man to take him off at HT. Although this gives the player more exposure to Senior Football, it also reduces the quality of the team, (because you are sometimes having 2-3 below-par players all starting a match and if you sub them off then you have no other subs available. 

I try not to compare leagues because it's irrelevant. The quality of players that you get coming through and even the ages of the promoted players differ so much that you just have to accept what you have and do the best with it. 

I had a great time playing Youth Only in Iceland because the facilities were so good, yet the standard of the league so poor, that it was relatively easy to compete/dominate with a Youth only strategy. Compare that to the likes of England and Germany where it's REALLY hard because although the players you produce are better, the standard of opposition is immeasurably better. As a result the game-time offered to youth players is generally significantly lower. It's swings and roundabouts. 

1 minute ago, withnail316 said:

Definitely sounds buggy, so well done for sticking around. I could see a struggling second tier club having a punt on you, but not the type of offers you've had.

Yeah. I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt with the geographical proximity, but I'm glad I turned it down when I then got offered other similar jobs elsewhere. 1 level up is not a problem and even 2 tiers at a push, but I think I will just look at each offer on a case by case basis from now on. 

My only real worry is that I might not get the "proper" offers because they think I am above them because of the falsely increased rep. 

48 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Yeah. I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt with the geographical proximity, but I'm glad I turned it down when I then got offered other similar jobs elsewhere. 1 level up is not a problem and even 2 tiers at a push, but I think I will just look at each offer on a case by case basis from now on. 

My only real worry is that I might not get the "proper" offers because they think I am above them because of the falsely increased rep. 

That's definitely possible. Perhaps keeping your eye on the job market and actively applying if something more appropriate comes up is your best option until SI can come up with a solution. 

Looking forward to finding out how you got on. 

Aug & Sep 2021

Swedish Second Division West Götaland. After a poor July, we then went and lost the 1st 2 games of August too. That just about put the nail in the coffin as far as promotion is concerned. We needed to to win our last 6 games to be in with a realistic chance of being in the mix, and although we won 5 out of 6, it wasn't to be enough and we missed on not only the title, (by 3 points), but the Playoffs too, (by 2 points). In hindsight, had I just left them with the old tactic then I am absolutely positive that we would have been promoted as Champions. We dropped 14 points in 7 games with my changed WB tactic. I don't think I will be using it again in a hurry. :idiot:

b8c8f99d49825a8cde85e95c59fe5b2b.png

c268acdb3a5df4bfc22e1f1d5a97800e.png

Goal-scoring GK Becker didn't manage to score a free-kick, but he did convert 5 penalties.

e1d07e96af6f28c4c6580f15566cb0bf.png

21 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Youth Intake Preview. Jun 2021

This doesn't look too promising. :(

80e2f6c142de6f78244296a055b477ed.png

Youth Intake. Sep 2021

Well the Preview didn't look good. 

"Most gifted in recent years" sounds more promising.

219d7f8f7314afbe691bf175660d00e5.png

But isn't really. It's a disaster. 

492fa4c3ebc8307ee86ab5356a7384e7.png

"Kriss" (21a) Gustafsson (2021).

I've offered him a youth contract, but not sure why. He's really not great.

a2ab81c32e2a3a8a77f1c7f929d6f643.png

Save Tracker. Oct 2021

9ba731ffa57c9d5a3ae2636548eb087d.png

We're making progress, (albeit slowly). My overall strategy is usually to just improve by even 1 single league place on the season before, and that's ok in a Youth Only save, but is a little slow-going in a Journeyman save like this. I really wanted promotion last season. If we don't get it this season then I might just jump ship anyway. 

34 minutes ago, withnail316 said:

Ah man, you Hibsed it. That's unfortunate. 

We certainly did. :(

This run of form absolutely killed us. 

c4e312cca458a92b7244138fc2c840b8.png

The early cracks were papered over by an unbeaten run, and then I compounded things by trialling an unsuccessful and untried tactic. 19 points from a possible 48 including 3 losses on the bounce absolutely killed us. 

It's promotion this season or the door, (and even then it might be promotion & the door). 

New Board. Dec 2021.

1bc03514eb9e3439a82782ee2ceb28a9.png

44fa95aa44152a2232041a8ec51204a1.png

08760dcf4c40d2905981dd03ecadead9.png

I'm not allowed to discuss anything with the board yet, but it will be interesting to see what direction they want to take us in. The fact that they have cancelled the link with our parent club FC Linköping City would usually be an indication that they favour a Youth Development approach, but I think that unlikely in this case because our facilities are so poor. We will just have to wait and see. 

2 hours ago, Bigshow1 said:

Great to see you carrying on in Scandinavia again. Do you set up a couple of extra players to stay back when your GK goes up for a set piece?

I looked at it in FM19 and I worked out that the key to not conceding wasn't, "the more player back the better", but actually was more about "different lines of defence. 

I've just looked at what I have set up right now and this is it. 

9af56924142575855b2a82476d857956.png

So that's just the default setting and wasn't what I had running in FM19. That will go a long way towards explaining why we have scored so few free-kicks in this save, (that recent one was the first by a GK I think). By putting more players forward you give the AI more players to mark. The more players there are to mark, the fewer players they can commit to building a wall. This makes more of the goal available to the free-kick taker and gives the GK more of the goal to follow. Over the years I have worked out that we don't want a free-kick right on the edge of the box, (because the GK's aren't good enough to get it up and down again), but about 8-12 yards outside the box, with the wall right on the edge of the area, is the optimum distance for my GK's in my experience. 

I can't be bothered changing things at the moment, but I when I need some marginal gains, player positioning at attacking free-kicks is indeed an area where there is scope for improvement.

To anyone thinking of giving their GK's free-kicks, the most basic piece of advice I could give you is to always have a player "stand with taker". 

Jun 2022

Swedish Second Division West Götaland. When we lost the 2nd game of the season I feared that it was going to prove a long hard season, but actually we responded well and would be topr of the table were it not for the fact that we conceded goals in the 89th, 91st and 94th minute against Hisingsbacka FC. (See previous post). 

6a1e9e65e0184fed566ba752c154d473.png

0f71f2c92731ecd749f4d7073a1533a3.png

Goal-scoring GK Becker notched his 1st goal of the season, (a direct free-kick to go with his 5 penalties from last season), to bring him to 6 career goals. 

Jun 2022

Swedish Second Division West Götaland. The loss away to Räppe GOIF wasn't a surprise to me. They seem to have been our bogey team in recent seasons and it doesn't seem to matter where they or we are in the league. They are always a challenge. 

bf07dca2f9c81b7e7acc8c8db51b9502.png

8b71f34b2d69959d1edd98a9c306e412.png

Very apt after the comment from @JWVGbut goal-scoring GK Becker seems to be inspired form at the moment. After 5 penalties last season he has already scored 3 penalties from 3 attempts and 3 direct free-kicks this season. All 5 goals coming in the last 6 games. 

6cf4a3ff5e92b59cb2f05bc76267d24f.png

752883f5ba1a5b4a068120e59a1c3034.png

be1b8e5c5491fa311cc8b58e084d75fc.png

22 minutes ago, JWVG said:

goal scoring GK, I like that :D

I've been doing it for a while. If it's your type of thing I will link you to some other threads. 

There are GK goals from penalties, free-kicks and even open play. GK hat-tricks, GK International goals, GK's scoring 186 (I think), career goals.

26 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Very apt after the comment from @JWVGbut goal-scoring GK Becker seems to be inspired form at the moment. After 5 penalties last season he has already scored 3 penalties from 3 attempts and 3 direct free-kicks this season. All 5 goals coming in the last 6 games. 

I've got this theory, that the FM Gods see and hear everything written and said about FM and that they despise gloating. Every single time I comment about things going well, whether it be a player in good goal-scoring form, us keeping clean sheets or going on an unbeaten run, the FM Gods step in and attempt to teach me the error of my ways. 

I obviously still haven't learned my lesson. :rolleyes:

52bf7e65f8b2074cb5a0b54419de381c.png

Thankfully it didn't cost us points. 

Jul 2022

Swedish Second Division West Götaland. 3 wins and a draw from 5 games is decent form, but while it's good enough to sit us atop the pile, it's not good enough to create a substantial gap between ourselves and the chasing pack. 

a85bc0bb9433c8e307fdb197252dd329.png

a710303d7dace635135952e3e26c6a94.png

Swedish Cup. It was great to get a win against higher opposition, (in Sweden a lower division team always plays at home), but all I really care about is promotion in the league, ideally as Champions. 

299b16f0c37c7a735d4f1bf85016b94a.png

Edited by Jimbokav1971

Something new. Aug 2022

136e70ea252676bdb022ef38b97ab9bf.png

This is interesting. I've never seen this before in the game, (and I like it). :applause:

Where as we beat a team who were 13th in the 3rd Tier in the last round, IK Sirius are 5th in the 2nd tier and I think it's unlikely that we would be able to get a result. It took injury time to win the last round and our priority really is the league. I think I'm going to take the deal (so basically an £8,750 bung), and then also get about £17.500 more in gate receipts than would be the case if we played at home. I think that's a really good deal for the club who are currently £52k overdrawn at the bank. 

6a94286b8f181626bb14520e7fcdcbe3.png

a3c5a77c79cbb1111f3f46a2c7c7d96d.png

Now wouldn't it be good to go and turn them over at their place? :cool:

Aug 2022

Swedish Second Division West Götaland. Our home form is great, but we are not quite doing the business away from home. The truth is that our players are just not good enough at this stage to get the job done away. I don't think the tactic is to blame so I'm not going to change as I did last season. I think I just need to keep the faith until such time as the players are good enough to get the job done. In any case, although our away from is nowhere near as good as out home form, we are still top of the league. 

3bd9d0cac962bdc56c7cfbb24d04a508.png

013f95bee4eb68d831968bf43f838200.png

Swedish Cup. Yeah we lost, but I rotated the whole squad except Becker in goal and we are now only £35k overdrawn. A decent result all round I would say. 

0c6c6165bec85cf0a2a9c2ed8964e4dd.png

Goal-scoring GK Becker notched his 6th of the season to make it 11 career goals. 

3393f9063caab22d0fb2ca3d886cd059.png

Edited by Jimbokav1971

Sep 2022

Swedish Second Division West Götaland. We haven't been in great form over the last couple of months, but that's not the reason why we were beaten to the title. Tvååkers IF are deserving champions after winning all 4 of their games in the last month and 7 out of the last 9. 

d0bc229e3294725cb3b31d5713765943.png

f689b0adf82a8cfd0b52647b99bfb4d3.png

Youth Intake. Sep 2022

I must have missed the Youth Intake Preview when it came through earlier in the season, but to be honest I am just resigned to constant appalling intakes while I am here. There is not a single product of our Academy who is 1st choice in his position at the club and I don't see that changing anytime soon. My plan at the start of the season was to win the league, be promoted as Champions and then either accept an offer from another club or just apply for a job in the league above. It obviously hasn't worked out quite like that, but there is still the chance of promotion. 

b9c75d524785385bb3f9a5487aa3b238.png

"Most Gifted"? Yeah right. We will see.....

d64335e47696e8ea73c62c53d02636d8.png

"Kriss" (22a) Tomas Roos (2022)

He's really not great, and nobody else is any better. I can't remember so consistently getting such rubbish from Intakes in literally years. Real whole years. 

b686fdf77ab74e15477444e4630394a8.png

2 minutes ago, Zilla Blitz said:

Still, really close! If you had beaten Tvååkers IF instead of losing to them 1-0, you'd have the title.

Nice work on this!

That's a good shout and one that I hadn't noticed. We edged the game too and were unlucky not to get anything out of it. 

Available Jobs. Oct 2022

9a09b4dadc43ebc6a5f780b6a00757aa.png

Akropolis IF are in the Swedish First Division Elite and I don't want to make a double-jump. 

Breiðablik are in the top tier in Iceland and while I would be interested in a First Division role, I think jumping straight to the Premier League is a bit much. 

FF Jaro are in the 2nd tier in Finland and while they are an option, I think WI would prefer to move to Iceland before Finland if I can't move up a tier in Sweden. 

Knattspyrnufélag Reykjavíkur are a big team in Iceland, but again I don't want to just straight to the Premier League. 

Arameiska-Syrianska Botkyrka IF are playing at the level I want to move up to in Sweden, but unfortunately they are being relegated back down to Tier 4. If they were a Pro club fallen on hard times then I would consider it, but they aren't. 

Knattspyrnufélagið Dalvík/Reynir are in the Icelandic First Division and I'm happy to manage at that level and in view of the rep. issue, I think they are also a realistic move too. 

IFK Timrå and Qviding FIF both play at our existing level so I'm not overly keen to move but stay at the same level. 

While Knattspyrnufélagið Dalvík/Reynir are at a league/level that I think is appropriate to move to, I don't like their poor facilities, (in a Nation with great facilities), and although I don't want to stay in the Swedish 4 Tier for another season, with these clubs the only one's available right now I think it might be the best move. What I might do is apply for the job just to see if I would get it and then maybe decline it even if I'm offered it.

7cb2d640197379d104ac944d83eecb5b.png

Then I might stay where I am until something suitable becomes available. The other option of course is that I could move to Iceland, try to win the First Division and then jump to another Icelandic club with better facilities..... Decisions decisions. I would much rather stay in Sweden and just move up though. Maybe I should give it another season......