dafuge's FM20 challenge

On 25/01/2020 at 01:38, lfc7 said:

Nice good luck next season 

Thanks! I'm predicted to finish first by the media and placed at the first place in the season preview... No pressure :P 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, KVJ92 said:

Thanks! I'm predicted to finish first by the media and placed at the first place in the season preview... No pressure :P 

Am I the only one struggling to find consistency in how my team plays? I started the season with 5 wins 2 losses and then my team just fell apart. 6 games resulting in 1 point. 

I'm halfway through the season now. Around 15th-ish in the league with 15 points to relegation and 6-7 points to playoff. Often I concede with my opponents first shot on target. Whether it being a set-piece from my half in the side or a corner. Or, of course, a horrendous mistake from my goalkeeper or center back..... 

13 hours ago, KVJ92 said:

Am I the only one struggling to find consistency in how my team plays? I started the season with 5 wins 2 losses and then my team just fell apart. 6 games resulting in 1 point. 

I'm halfway through the season now. Around 15th-ish in the league with 15 points to relegation and 6-7 points to playoff. Often I concede with my opponents first shot on target. Whether it being a set-piece from my half in the side or a corner. Or, of course, a horrendous mistake from my goalkeeper or center back..... 

I simply don't know how to save this. Moving closer and closer towards relegation... :( 

image.thumb.png.a2e3fe9a99239ffdde82f39c077dc948.png

image.thumb.png.af1a99629abbfe90b1463a344f5ffbda.png

11 hours ago, KVJ92 said:

I needed 8 points in 5 games. I got 8! Lets go! 

I got 9 points in the next 8 games. They called me into another meeting. I asked for more time. Over at Kings Langley... Don't know if I'm gonna start again right now.

image.png.98e2f28083216fd43f30219afda5461f.png

Chesham United 22-23

Overall an unbelievable season... 3 at the back, route 1, high press, high intensity apparently wrecks league 2 and wins the Leasings Cup!

I did really well in the loan market this season and we would have been absolutely mid-table without them but there were definitely a few free gems in there as well. My best find, Tyler Smith was the leagues top scorer and was Mr reliable netting at least once every 2 games in the league but i also picked up some strong and quick defenders and a battling midfield... however we led the league in fouls, cards, bans and suspensions and fines from the FA for player conduct. My big and fast work-aholics definitely were not pretty but still getting the job done. Momentum and team unity seem to be really important this years FM and my focus on buying consistent, hard-working and determined players seems to be really working, as long as the base stats for their position are 9+ i'm looking for big physical and mental stats instead which seems to help me come back from wobbles, but also seems to mean that as long as i don't completely replace my team, we can carry that momentum through into the next season even after a promotion.

Personally, i got to sign a new contract and my board also agreed to training and youth facilities upgrades at the end of the season and put me through my Continental B license so the backroom stuff is working, I've found some staff who share my philosophy and the club seems to be keen to put them through their badges, so maybe having a settled backroom team is also helping, in the past I've always dumped my staff every year and shopped for better.

1427935717_CheshamUnited_Competitions-3.thumb.png.465439675339d0c7c541e90430072a51.png597283237_RitchieHawtin_Profile-6.thumb.png.ff2395c41907327177df2c4dd9486511.png1299766192_TylerSmith_Profile.thumb.png.f04bce75f08528cb9fa5d996a8951004.png

I've actually already completed my league 1 pre-season and played a couple of games. I thought i'd bought well (picked up good freebies) and strengthened the squad enough BUT finding it much tougher now... hopefully we can make a decent fist of it. I'm hopeful for a mid-table finish. If i can build some momentum who knows!

Edited by tremor
presentation

On 26/01/2020 at 05:42, lfc7 said:

Just wondering how people are playing there saves as i read elsewhere about not using player or staff search and only signing staff through adverts. Is this something everyone does ? I know about Dafuge's rules just wondering about these as i never really play LLM. Also what about getting team reports on opposition teams further up the league for loans etc ? is this not okay ? thanks 

sounds like my style :)   I rely on my scouts to forward interesting players for me to look at.  I generally only trial in 10 or fewer in a season --- and they must have a scout recommendation of at least 70 for me to do that (barring an emergency -- for instance I lose two starting DCs mid-season, then I might trial in someone slightly lower).  I also only sign staff who answer adverts (or are recommended by existing staff).  Gives it a bit more challenge...but I've done this for years, so no reason to change now :)   

My thoughts are --- I pay a staff to do something....they oughta be doing it!

I got 9 points in the next 8 games. They called me into another meeting. I asked for more time. Over at Kings Langley... Don't know if I'm gonna start again right now.

Bad luck, sometimes things just seem to spiral out of control and there's not much you can do about it. If you were conceding on first chances often it sounds likely your players' confidence had taken a hit and/or there was a weakness in your team/tactic that had been found out and exploited.

8 hours ago, SnakeXe said:

Bad luck, sometimes things just seem to spiral out of control and there's not much you can do about it. If you were conceding on first chances often it sounds likely your players' confidence had taken a hit and/or there was a weakness in your team/tactic that had been found out and exploited.

At the end I tried various different setups and ways to play. I often conceded on the first chance or on setpieces. 

Decided to start over right away.. Decided to take Enfield. Although I forgot to take the starting screenshot. Can post one after the first league game. Which I lost 2-1. But hopefully I can get it going with Enfield. Will try a different approach to the tactic and slowly build it up from base. Starting with 4-1(DM)-2(CM's)-2-1 and see how it goes. 

On 29/01/2020 at 10:30, KVJ92 said:

OUCH tough that considering how much they cut from you

21 hours ago, tremor said:

Chesham United 22-23

Overall an unbelievable season... 3 at the back, route 1, high press, high intensity apparently wrecks league 2 and wins the Leasings Cup!

I did really well in the loan market this season and we would have been absolutely mid-table without them but there were definitely a few free gems in there as well. My best find, Tyler Smith was the leagues top scorer and was Mr reliable netting at least once every 2 games in the league but i also picked up some strong and quick defenders and a battling midfield... however we led the league in fouls, cards, bans and suspensions and fines from the FA for player conduct. My big and fast work-aholics definitely were not pretty but still getting the job done. Momentum and team unity seem to be really important this years FM and my focus on buying consistent, hard-working and determined players seems to be really working, as long as the base stats for their position are 9+ i'm looking for big physical and mental stats instead which seems to help me come back from wobbles, but also seems to mean that as long as i don't completely replace my team, we can carry that momentum through into the next season even after a promotion.

Personally, i got to sign a new contract and my board also agreed to training and youth facilities upgrades at the end of the season and put me through my Continental B license so the backroom stuff is working, I've found some staff who share my philosophy and the club seems to be keen to put them through their badges, so maybe having a settled backroom team is also helping, in the past I've always dumped my staff every year and shopped for better.

1427935717_CheshamUnited_Competitions-3.thumb.png.465439675339d0c7c541e90430072a51.png597283237_RitchieHawtin_Profile-6.thumb.png.ff2395c41907327177df2c4dd9486511.png1299766192_TylerSmith_Profile.thumb.png.f04bce75f08528cb9fa5d996a8951004.png

I've actually already completed my league 1 pre-season and played a couple of games. I thought i'd bought well (picked up good freebies) and strengthened the squad enough BUT finding it much tougher now... hopefully we can make a decent fist of it. I'm hopeful for a mid-table finish. If i can build some momentum who knows!

Congrats on a great season good luck in L1

19 hours ago, G_D_K said:

sounds like my style :)   I rely on my scouts to forward interesting players for me to look at.  I generally only trial in 10 or fewer in a season --- and they must have a scout recommendation of at least 70 for me to do that (barring an emergency -- for instance I lose two starting DCs mid-season, then I might trial in someone slightly lower).  I also only sign staff who answer adverts (or are recommended by existing staff).  Gives it a bit more challenge...but I've done this for years, so no reason to change now :)   

My thoughts are --- I pay a staff to do something....they oughta be doing it!

Thanks 

9 hours ago, KVJ92 said:

At the end I tried various different setups and ways to play. I often conceded on the first chance or on setpieces. 

Decided to start over right away.. Decided to take Enfield. Although I forgot to take the starting screenshot. Can post one after the first league game. Which I lost 2-1. But hopefully I can get it going with Enfield. Will try a different approach to the tactic and slowly build it up from base. Starting with 4-1(DM)-2(CM's)-2-1 and see how it goes. 

Good Luck

Hoping to get some time on my save over next 3 days, as i am off work

Edited by lfc7

2 hours ago, tremor said:

Something must be going right :) 

I'm just outside the play-off places in December, but not exactly ripping it up, so this was a big surprise! 

1417499410_RitchieHawtin_Inbox-2.thumb.png.3dca587eada05db8ec832fdccba0edb3.png

Nice to see you turned it down, that job is cursed :lol:

1 hour ago, tremor said:

Eurgh how about this for fixture congestion! 7 games in just over 2 weeks :idiot:

1609369_RitchieHawtin_Inbox-3.thumb.png.996fbef46334a45a63d60cbe3032ef69.png

I guess the only good point is 5 are at home 

18 hours ago, lfc7 said:

OUCH tough that considering how much they cut from you

Good Luck

Hoping to get some time on my save over next 3 days, as i am off work

Yeah, it was pretty tough. I was not that many points behind top half which was what they expected. 

I started again with Enfield. Have played 21 games so far: 

image.thumb.png.76bed5e2b507a7862da9b22453ecc5ca.png

I will probably finish the season this weekend. At least I'm already safe for relegation with 45 points :D

And 3 of the 4 lost games was at the first 5-6 games of the season

Edited by KVJ92

10 minutes ago, KVJ92 said:

Yeah, it was pretty tough. I was not that many points behind top half which was what they expected. 

I will probably finish the season this weekend. At least I'm already safe for relegation with 45 points :D

Smashing it mate, best way to come back from your earlier troubles!

17 minutes ago, KVJ92 said:

:applause:

SnakeXe @ Salisbury - Season 12 - 2031/32

Summary
The aim this season was to achieve a little more consistency, and honestly we kinda failed at that, however what we did do is finally figure out how to beat the big boys, on our day with some great wins over Spurs, Man Utd and Man City. Unfortunately our inability to consistently beat mid table sides put paid to our Champions League qualification hopes, although we did take it to the final day of the season. We needed to beat Norwich and hope Arsenal dropped points at home against Everton, a 3-0 win for Arsenal fortunately made our shocking 1-0 loss academic.

The other big story of this season was our FA Cup run - all the way to a final against Liverpool, the biggest result probably being knocking Chelsea out on penalties in the quarter final at St. Mary's (our 6th home stadium of my reign for those keeping score - Salisbury Stadium II was closed this season whilst the capacity is increased to 21,000). Our preparations took a massive hit then Nicolas Guajardo decided he'd rather stumble out of a night club in the wee hours than play the biggest match of his career - he was transfer listed before he finished his kebab, don't you worry about that. The betrayal was compounded when Farina went off injured in the first half - Guajardo would have come off the bench to replace him. We battled well but ultimately lost 1-0 in extra time to a lovely direct free kick goal.

Still, Europa League qualification is great news, let's hope we can deal with the extra football and go one better next season.

Competitions
Premier League - 5th
FA Cup - Runners Up
League Cup - 2nd Round

Squad
Renewal and improvement continues - our first XI is now really good quality in every position, the aim is to have a squad good enough to rotate and still win games. I think I definitely worked our key players too hard this season - Romeu, Farina, Molina and Moreno all struggled with fitness at various points.

Transfers
Teams seem to love giving us big money for mediocre players - Menagh, Chavalle, Green and Gyan had all been good servants but they were on their way out of first team contention so to receive a combined £87.5m (potentially rising to £96.25m with clauses) is nothing short of extortion on our behalf. We reinvested heavily, breaking our transfer record twice, first £23m for Colombian centreback Molina from Roma then £23.5m for Uruguay winger Sergio Moreno from Milan.

Manager's player of the season - Rene Bjerregaard
Top scored from the left wing, albeit over a full season Havelka would have certainly scored more.

+---------+-----+-----------------------+----+----+-----+----+-----+-----+-----------------------------+
| Season  | Pos | League                | CL | EL | FAC | LC | FLT | FAT | Notes                       |
+---------+-----+-----------------------+----+----+-----+----+-----+-----+-----------------------------+
| 2020/21 | 13  | National League South | -  | -  | 2QR | -  | -   | 3QR |                             |
| 2021/22 | 6   | National League South | -  | -  | 4QR | -  | -   | 3QR | Lost in playoff semi final  |
| 2022/23 | 1P  | National League South | -  | -  | R1  | -  | -   | R3  | Promoted as Champions       |
| 2023/24 | 1P  | National League       | -  | -  | R1  | -  | -   | R3  | Promoted as Champions       |
| 2024/25 | 1P  | League Two            | -  | -  | R1  | R2 | GS  | -   | Promoted as Champions       |
| 2025/26 | 11  | League One            | -  | -  | R4  | R1 | GS  | -   |                             |
| 2026/27 | 1P  | League One            | -  | -  | R5  | R1 | R3  | -   | Promoted as Champions       |
| 2027/28 | 14  | Championship          | -  | -  | QF  | R1 | -   | -   |                             |
| 2028/29 | 2P  | Championship          | -  | -  | R4  | R3 | -   | -   | Promoted                    |
| 2029/30 | 13  | Premier League        | -  | -  | R3  | SF | -   | -   |                             |
| 2030/31 | 10  | Premier League        | -  | -  | QF  | R2 | -   | -   |                             |
| 2031/32 | 5   | Premier League        | -  | -  | RU  | R2 | -   | -   | Qualified for Europa League |

2 hours ago, SnakeXe said:

SnakeXe @ Salisbury - Season 12 - 2031/32

Summary
The aim this season was to achieve a little more consistency, and honestly we kinda failed at that, however what we did do is finally figure out how to beat the big boys, on our day with some great wins over Spurs, Man Utd and Man City. Unfortunately our inability to consistently beat mid table sides put paid to our Champions League qualification hopes, although we did take it to the final day of the season. We needed to beat Norwich and hope Arsenal dropped points at home against Everton, a 3-0 win for Arsenal fortunately made our shocking 1-0 loss academic.

The other big story of this season was our FA Cup run - all the way to a final against Liverpool, the biggest result probably being knocking Chelsea out on penalties in the quarter final at St. Mary's (our 6th home stadium of my reign for those keeping score - Salisbury Stadium II was closed this season whilst the capacity is increased to 21,000). Our preparations took a massive hit then Nicolas Guajardo decided he'd rather stumble out of a night club in the wee hours than play the biggest match of his career - he was transfer listed before he finished his kebab, don't you worry about that. The betrayal was compounded when Farina went off injured in the first half - Guajardo would have come off the bench to replace him. We battled well but ultimately lost 1-0 in extra time to a lovely direct free kick goal.

Still, Europa League qualification is great news, let's hope we can deal with the extra football and go one better next season.

Competitions
Premier League - 5th
FA Cup - Runners Up
League Cup - 2nd Round

Squad
Renewal and improvement continues - our first XI is now really good quality in every position, the aim is to have a squad good enough to rotate and still win games. I think I definitely worked our key players too hard this season - Romeu, Farina, Molina and Moreno all struggled with fitness at various points.

Transfers
Teams seem to love giving us big money for mediocre players - Menagh, Chavalle, Green and Gyan had all been good servants but they were on their way out of first team contention so to receive a combined £87.5m (potentially rising to £96.25m with clauses) is nothing short of extortion on our behalf. We reinvested heavily, breaking our transfer record twice, first £23m for Colombian centreback Molina from Roma then £23.5m for Uruguay winger Sergio Moreno from Milan.

Manager's player of the season - Rene Bjerregaard
Top scored from the left wing, albeit over a full season Havelka would have certainly scored more.

| Season  | Pos | League                | CL | EL | FAC | LC | FLT | FAT | Notes                       |
| 2020/21 | 13  | National League South | -  | -  | 2QR | -  | -   | 3QR |                             |
| 2021/22 | 6   | National League South | -  | -  | 4QR | -  | -   | 3QR | Lost in playoff semi final  |
| 2022/23 | 1P  | National League South | -  | -  | R1  | -  | -   | R3  | Promoted as Champions       |
| 2023/24 | 1P  | National League       | -  | -  | R1  | -  | -   | R3  | Promoted as Champions       |
| 2024/25 | 1P  | League Two            | -  | -  | R1  | R2 | GS  | -   | Promoted as Champions       |
| 2025/26 | 11  | League One            | -  | -  | R4  | R1 | GS  | -   |                             |
| 2026/27 | 1P  | League One            | -  | -  | R5  | R1 | R3  | -   | Promoted as Champions       |
| 2027/28 | 14  | Championship          | -  | -  | QF  | R1 | -   | -   |                             |
| 2028/29 | 2P  | Championship          | -  | -  | R4  | R3 | -   | -   | Promoted                    |
| 2029/30 | 13  | Premier League        | -  | -  | R3  | SF | -   | -   |                             |
| 2030/31 | 10  | Premier League        | -  | -  | QF  | R2 | -   | -   |                             |
| 2031/32 | 5   | Premier League        | -  | -  | RU  | R2 | -   | -   | Qualified for Europa League |

Congrats on a fantastic season :applause:great you got european football. Is everyone basically a regen at this point ?

6 minutes ago, lfc7 said:

Congrats on a fantastic season :applause:great you got european football. Is everyone basically a regen at this point ?

Almost everyone is yes, the only real player we have now is Bastoni - then there's the likes of Sancho, Alexander-Arnold, Zaniolo, Haaland and a few others still playing elsewhere in the league.

B1zJo4M.jpg

South Shields FC 2021/2022

League Table    Season Review    Stats    Transfers    Awards    Profile    Finances    Promotion Odds

Another promotion by taking 2nd place in the division.  Just... wow!  That's 4 in a row.  Best I've ever done by far.  It really goes to show what can happen when you have the financial backing of a board committed to getting to the top.  I was fortunate to get a 2mil bid for a kid we got in our youth intake, but honestly I probably shouldn't have taken it because the board will just keep injecting any cash needed to keep the train rolling ahead.  We burned through that 2 mil by the end of this season and they immediately dumped 970k into the bank.  That said, I have been very fortunate with injuries, as well as ROI on players brought in.  I have numerous players that have been with the club for 3+ years and continue to impress with each new challenge.  I started out thinking, as always, just avoid relegation.  But the board was expecting a mid-table finish.  The bookmakers have us at 8th.  I just knew we had a chance to make the playoffs but coming in 2nd was not on my radar at all.  I brought most of the core squad into the season to hold our cohesion.  I even brought in 2 loan players again, and signed another loan permanently.  We have something really special going right now but there's just no way I could expect to gain promotion to the Premier League next season.  I just don't have the budget and although so far I've defied the odds with the money provided, getting through the Premier League caliber clubs at the top of the Championship is going to take some work.  I fully expect the real work to start now, although I've said that the last 2 seasons.

Standout Performers

Arianit Ferati - Brought in this year to provide danger from the AMR position.  He looked perfect given his playmaker qualities and flair, exactly what I expect from my AMR role.  He delivered on everything and then some.  I haven't yet seen the league player of the year result yet, but he should get it.  I always expect creativity and assists from this role in my system but scoring 14 goals was an amazing return.  I usually expect the bulk of the wide goals to come from my AML but he was best of both.  Unfortunately he was insisting on only a 2 year deal and I'm stuck extending him right now due to wage and release clause demands.  I may just have to bite the bullet because I think he could put up decent numbers in the Championship.

Victor Adeboyejo - I had brought in 3 strikers this season.  One was the loan player that crushed last season, Christian Norton.  He played very, very well, don't get me wrong, but he went through a lull in the beginning of the season and so I tried my other striker, who did well, but not enough to make my head turn.  During this time, I was playing Victor off the bench pretty much every game.  When I looked at his per 90 minutes stats, he was really crushing it, slightly better than Norton.  I decided to give him a run of games starting and he became the first name on the team sheet every game.  I really hope he can make an impact at Championship level though.  If I can't acquire Norton on loan again this season, I'll have to bring somebody else in that can give Victor competition.

Goals Moving Forward

It's pretty simple really.  Bring a few players in to replace my current crop of deadwood, but focus more on contracts and not letting contracts expire any more.  I tend to do that a lot while I'm ramping up divisions because there just isn't time to build value and sell everybody that goes out the door.  At this level, however, you can't afford to let people leave for free, so I need to do good contract planning and good selling.  That said, the sugar daddy board will probably make this less of an issue but I'm going to do my best to do a good job of it.  We just need to hold our own in the Championship, stay up, and see where we stand in comparison to everybody else.  We're severely behind regarding stadium.  The end of the last season we were selling out our 5750 seat stadium consistently.  The board has started to expand by another 3-400 seats, but that's just not going to be enough.  It's going to take years to build the facilities that will be required to get to the premier division and have a chance to win the champions league.  This club definitely has what it takes though.  No doubt.

Season Results

Season			League					Finish		Notes

2023/2024		Sky Best League One			2nd		1 Manager of the Month, Automatic Promotion
2022/2023		Sky Bet League Two			1st		1 Manager Of The Month, Division Champion, Automatic Promotion
2021/2022		Vanarama National			2nd		2 Manager Of The Month, Manager Of The Year, Playoff Promotion
2020/2021		Vanarama National League North		1st		1 Manager Of The Month, Manager Of The Year, Division Champion, Automatic Promotion

Edited by LeProfIamNot

Very impressive! Championship will be super competitive so good luck! Although the top 5 in League 1 are all championship/recently ex prem teams which is scary.

I'm also starting to set some unwanted records now:

1913440750_RitchieHawtin_Inbox-5.thumb.png.e7f644d830cb005fd94102638addb553.png

and it's only February!!!! :eek:

RlqRfKp.jpg

Bognor Regis Town 2023/24

Season Overview

Vanarama National League – 3rd Place – Playoff Final Loss

We well exceeded my expectations in the league and were still with a chance of winning the league going into the last game. The start of the season was an odd one, 4 consecutive clean sheets, unheard of for this Bognor Regis side, we’re known more for our goalscoring escapades rather than our defensive prowess, infact we kept 13 clean sheets in the season so almost a third in the opening games. The first goals conceded coincided with our first loss, 3-2 to Maidenhead. In spite of that we still maintained fairly strong early season form but I thought a 5-2 loss to Fylde was going to be the indication of whereabouts we would end up; not relegation candidates, but not promotion candidates. However, much like previous seasons we proved a hard team to beat collecting wins and draws aplenty to keep us towards the upper echelons of the division. The end of the season presented us with a chance to go back to back promotions, entering the last month of the season in 3rd place we had both first and second to play. AFC Fylde came first, a 1-0 loss, meaning automatic promotion was unlikely, but we kept the hopes alive by beating Dagenham & Redbridge 1-0 with us all to play 2 more games we were 3 points behind Dagenham & Redbridge, and 4 behind 1st placed AFC Fylde. The penultimate game saw win whereas a draw and a loss for the other two teams meant we were only 1 point behind top spot for the last game of the season knowing that bettering both of the other teams results would see us reach the summit of the table for the first time in the last game. Alas, we came up short, a 2-1 loss to Swindon in a game that ultimately wouldn’t matter as Dagenham & Redbridge won their game to win the league; playoffs it was. Immediate revenge was to be had as we drew Swindon in the Semi-Final winning 4-3 to set up a final against the team that had done the league double over us – AFC Fylde. Unfortunately, our key players did not turn up meaning we lost another playoff final 1-0.

FA Cup – 2nd Round

Did somebody say cup run? Well we finally at least got a small cup run drawing lower league opposition for the two games before bowing out to League 2 Rochdale 4-1 in the second round.

FA Trophy – 1st Round

Unfortunately last seasons FA Trophy run was not to be replicated losing in a first round replay to lower league Barnet, a comprehensive 3-0 victory for The Bees

Awards --- Stats --- Fixtures (1) --- Fixtures (2) --- Season Review* --- Hot Prospect --- Key Player --- Overall Best XI --- Records

Transfers I already outlined my key areas for transfers, and managed to hit all my targets plus a few extra squad depth players. Two new left backs, two new left wingers, a new first choice striker. Whilst also adding a new right winger and centre back for immediate consideration for the first eleven. Other players were signed for greater squad depth and for future potential. This is also the first season where I signed players on loan mainly for back up. I also managed to source loan moves for players I did not envision featuring for me but that I wanted to get game time. I also managed to secure Mark Manning to an additional year deal, though had to make him my highest earner to do so.

Player of the season Terry Hart: Sentiment aside, we did not miss Saydee no longer being our first choice striker, Terry Hart absolutely smashing Saydee’s goalscoring records, 38 goals in the League and we’ve got him on a 4 year contract (somehow). He also managed to pick up the League player of the Season award. I forgot to actually screenshot his attributes, don't know why.

Finances FA Cup run plus gate receipts from playoff games leave us in the black for the first time at the end of a season. It was looking healthier but more stadium expansion alongside the first training facilities upgrade leave us slightly in the black.

Youth Intake – I have not included this section in my previous overviews and well that’s because we have not any youth candidates that I’m even slightly excited by but thought I’d add it in the hope one day I’ll have something I can add to here.

Next Season

I don’t see any reason why we can’t at least make the playoffs again, we looked largely good this season. Keeping Terry Hart has got to be a priority his goals a large contributor to a great season, but there are a few teams sniffing so it could prove difficult. I’m largely happy with the squad, with right back being the main area I want to improve. If possible a new first choice goalkeeper would be good, I like Osei Gyasi, but he hasn’t improved all too much in the time he’s been here despite playing the vast majority of the games. As before further squad depth would be a nice, and some future prospects wouldn’t go amiss. Every player I want to keep is under contract for at least another season, so if we do lose any at least it’ll be for money.

News

As mentioned within the finances section we’ve yet another stadium expansion, I’m not sure it’s a required one so don’t know why they’ve decided to expand again would rather have the money. Finally in the black I managed to get the board to agree to some infrastructure improvements, Youth Recruitment and Junior Coaching both improved as well as Training facilities getting their first upgrade. I'm also studying towards my final coaching badge, good to get this out of the way so early.

*the game decided it did not want to write any overview to our season, hopefully this will sort itself for next season

Y4MTo4E.jpg

Edited by _JHTB_

1 hour ago, SnakeXe said:

Bad luck losing the final @_JHTB_ but a great season nonetheless - 38 goals is a ridiculous return!

Thanks, 38 goals for him, 25 for his strike partner all to lose a play off final without scoring; typical. But yes, much better season than I expected though. Both glad and not glad we didn't get promoted, full time would help progression of the players, but missing out means we get to grow the club more slowly so reputation more in line with the league we're in which is only going to help in the future.

Just curious roughly how much is everyone paying out on wages including bonuses per month ? wondering if i am paying way too much. Also does anyone bother getting there scouts to get scout report on next opp at this level ?

Edited by lfc7

What are some of your favourite free signings in the first couple of seasons?

Here are a couple that performed pretty well throughout my save for my Kingstonian team that is currently in the Championship in 2026/27.

Connor Carty - ST - Used at the head of a 4-1-4-1, didn't score insane levels of goals due to the nature of the tactic, by far his best attributes were his high pace/acc. He was useful until L2 where better players were available to sign on a free, his peak performance for me was in the VSS.

Will Smallbone - MC/AML - Signed on a free at the start of the second seasond and played well from VNN until L1 in the AML position as part of an attacking 4-2-2-2. The important stats for his position are between 10-12. Peak performance in L2.

Callum Styles - MC - Signed from Barnsley on a free and has occupied the DLP slot in my midfield from L1 to the Championship, where the club finds itself at present. Still performing at peak level and clubs keep trying to poach him. Pretty balanced stats.

Adam Idah - ST - Norwich academy reject signed on a free before my L1 season and has been scoring for fun ever since (3rd season with my team, currently in the championship a quarter of the way through the season and has 90 goals/20 assists in 140 matches).

Will Mannion - GK - Signed from Hull at the beginning of my first L2 season. Good GK stats and decent passing, composure und FT so that he can take a back pass without ******** his pants. Played very well even in the Championship until he was poached by Sheff. Wed. and pretty much ruined the season half of my inaugural season there since there was no way I could replace him with the miniscule sum of money the chairman sold him for.

Will Fish - DC - Speedy defender, decent Tackling and Marking, semi-decent passing, can head the ball very well. Signed on a free after he was released from ManU at the beginning of my L2 season, occasionaly plays for my team in the championship, since fast DCs with decent passing and wage demands are hard to find.

I picked up will fish, made 500k on him after the first season 👍

Zech Medley and Saul Shotton are both in a similar mould and have stuck with me up to the championship.

Tyler Smith is a great striker for L1&2 

I picked up Sam walker at the start of L1 and he's been great for me too

There are loads of gems out there!

On 31/01/2020 at 14:20, tremor said:

Smashing it mate, best way to come back from your earlier troubles!

Hopefully I can keep it going! Had a busy weekend but 100% FM for the rest of today! 

Not exactly the best intake I can expect...

image.png.c665f1a7ea6048ddb875e66f9cc53330.png

lcqHi6Q.jpg

Bognor Regis Town 2024/25

Season Overview

Vanarama National League – 2nd Place – Playoff winners!

This had to be the most frustrating promotion season of Football Manager I’ve ever had. After last season I was expecting us to be in the promotion picture and I guess we were with a second placed finish, but we seemed lacking at times. The first game of the season strengthened my preseason expectations of a strong season, a 5-1 victory against Yeovil despite being down to ten men for a lare proportion of the game. Though two defeats in a row tempered my expectations somewhat and indeed by Christmas we’d had as many loses as we’d recorded in the entirety of the previous campaign. We were still creating clear cut and half chances aplenty yet not converting them anywhere near enough and conceding at the slightest chance for the opposition. It was not until after Christmas that I’d finally bit the bullet and tweaked my tactic a little, stubbornness prevented me from doing so earlier and also opted into the public beta. This improved my fortunes a little but still not overly convincing but steady playoff berth all the same. March however, led me to fear missing out the playoffs altogether three losses in the month 2-0, 1-0 and 3-0. In fact, despite us having the best scoring record in the division 8 of our losses included us drawing a blank. Thankfully we managed to have a strong April putting us well within the battle for 2nd and 3rd – York having secured the title easily. A 4-2 loss to Aldershot on the penultimate game of the season saw them leapfrog us and leaving us in danger of having to enter the playoffs at the first round stage. Thankfully, a 3-1 victory on the last game of the season combined with Aldershot tripping up sent us to the playoffs for the second successive season. The semi-final was a entertaining match, a 5-4 victory after extra time against FC Halifax Town to set up a familiar final set up 2nd vs 3rd, the first time we entered the game as the 2nd place team. It would be remiss of me to complain about us not converting chances where our opponents did whilst not acknowledging that the final was a game we did not deserve to win a 3-3 draw and penalty win against Swindon Town, very lucky. I think in all it was maybe that the previous two seasons we’d collected over 200 points and other teams just being better a much closer division in all was probably the main factor in my ‘troubles’.

FA Cup – 1st Round

Had similar grievances to the league here, lost after replay to Kingstonian despite us creating substantially more chances than them in both games we drew 2-2 before succumbing to a 2-1 loss. 

FA Trophy – Semi-Final

A shame we did not manage to at least reach the final as I hope I’ll not have to enter the competition again, but a decent run nonetheless bowing out to Notts County 1-0 on aggregate a 1-0 followed by a 0-0. Incidentally coming in March where we managed 5 games in cup and league without scoring.

Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup – Semi-Final

Seemingly cup finals are something we want no part of but a decent showing in this one. Fellow National League club Halifax taking the bragging rights in this one a penalty victory following a 1-1 result

Awards --- Stats --- Fixtures (1) --- Fixtures (2) --- Season Review --- Hot Prospect --- Key Player --- Overall Best XI --- Records

Transfers The area in which I wanted to improve most being right back and we managed to do so as well as collecting a lot of depth alongside future prospects. Unfortunately did not manage to get a new goalkeeper but I’m not overly concerned. A lot of players left on loan for match time, including many of the players brought in over the summer with our first sale in a few years followed up by a club record sale of 75k for one of our centre backs, he was first choice but we had plenty centre backs in and around the team that could adequately replace him. Terry Hart was the key player I wanted to keep and keep him I did getting him to agree a new contract in the summer but that did not stop us fielding bids of up to 135k for him in the January window.

Player of the season Mark Manning: A lot more rotation this season, but Mark Manning managed to secure the Player of the season, shading out Terry Hart, who had a less prolific season this year but still got the league top scorer.

Finances No real cup run, but finances in a very healthy state, however, combined with changing to a professional club and Youth facility upgrades will see this shrink somewhat.

Youth Intake – Still nothing of note here, but we’ve had our first prospect poached so I may keep an eye to see if they turn out any good. The board allowed us to increase the Youth Recruitment and Junior Coaching budgets so hopefully it won’t be long before we get at least one decent player.

Next Season

If I’m entirely honest I’d take us coming straight back down if I could guarantee we stay professional, I think it will be a struggle; I’d have been much more confident had we been promoted last season. The wage budget likely to stretch less when converting our players to full time contracts, but hopefully they’ll be able to improve more as professional players. Again I’ll probably be on the search for a new goalkeeper, but I envision a lower amount of transfers this season trying to keep the budget in check whilst allowing current players to progress.

News

It would not be an end of season review without news of yet another stadium expansion, this time one that is required to comply with league regulations. The club vision shows that the owner is planning on selling the club so turmoil may be afoot in the preseason.

AhGRiRU.jpg

6 hours ago, lfc7 said:

Just got this after uk left European Union guessing it isn’t good 

066C66F4-7E4E-461C-9403-D5752D6A08A9.jpeg

I don't think it's the worst, but it's not too helpful when you're in the lower leagues. When in Champ/prem it can be circumnavigated a little by paying more for players so they get more qualifying points, but not ideal.

Regarding monthly wage, I don't really know what mine would be to be honest, but my league two wage expenditure according to the team stats is 340k per year which would be about 28k monthly though don't know if that's including bonus or not.

Edited by _JHTB_

33 minutes ago, _JHTB_ said:

I don't think it's the worst, but it's not too helpful when you're in the lower leagues. When in Champ/prem it can be circumnavigated a little by paying more for players so they get more qualifying points, but not ideal.

Regarding monthly wage, I don't really know what mine would be to be honest, but my league two wage expenditure according to the team stats is 340k per year which would be about 28k monthly though don't know if that's including bonus or not.

Think am screwed my monthly wage with VNN is about 20k a month. Plenty of players on one year contracts when I joined club who nobody wants and cost too much to release. In jan now so guessing I will be in the red big time by the time I end season. Really enjoying this save be gutted if have to start again  

1 hour ago, lfc7 said:

Think am screwed my monthly wage with VNN is about 20k a month. Plenty of players on one year contracts when I joined club who nobody wants and cost too much to release. In jan now so guessing I will be in the red big time by the time I end season. Really enjoying this save be gutted if have to start again  

To be honest, I think my wage bill is likely lower than a lot of others may be, but first season I had players who weren't that good on contracts of a lot more than I'd have paid them. I don't think it's too much of a worry going into the red, it's a fairly common outcome especially early on due to low attendances, and nothing a cup run won't fix

Tried with Wingate & Finchley, they gave me 3.8k p/w for wages which seemed ok until I advanced and it turned out the AI manager offered more than half of that to the non-contract guys currently at the club. I made 7 signings and tried to not get relegated but was sacked after a win when relegation was confirmed with 42 points from 45 games :(

1 hour ago, CMU Chips said:

Tried with Wingate & Finchley, they gave me 3.8k p/w for wages which seemed ok until I advanced and it turned out the AI manager offered more than half of that to the non-contract guys currently at the club. I made 7 signings and tried to not get relegated but was sacked after a win when relegation was confirmed with 42 points from 45 games :(

Too bad! Try again and check for contract offers in your squad right away, that way you can cancel them :)

How long did you reload to get Wingate & Finchley? I tried for ages :D

Too bad! Try again and check for contract offers in your squad right away, that way you can cancel them :)

How long did you reload to get Wingate & Finchley? I tried for ages :D

They were the last new one I got in what I would guess was over 1000 reloads? I started over a month ago when my first save ended and gave up reloading last week. I only have England loaded so it only takes about 3 minutes each time. Ended up seeing all but 21 of the possible teams. 

I'll probably start again with Whitby since I came close with them in a previous FM but I'm not sure when I'll start. Will definitely check for offers first though lol. They offered more than 20% of the budget to one player (and he only averaged a 6.7 lol)!

Chesham United 2023-24 Season Summary

Well, once more my guys stepped up to the plate and really delivered. We had a bit of a sticky start but threw caution to the wind after a few dull draws and moved from the tried and tested 352 up to a more aggressive 442. We also loaned a very fast striker and left winger who helped out a lot, supporting the thin squad through a spate of injuries during the Christmas period. We tip-toed around in the play-off places for most of the season but once we got the cups out of the way we managed to solidify our place in the automatic spots but didn't really push for 1st enough. We had a spate of draws in march and really were fortunate that others didn't catch us, getting promoted to the championship without having to do the play-offs was great.

We did reasonably well in the cups but nothing spectacular, we were lucky to make it through to the later rounds by facing weaker opponents but not really picking up any notable wins nor making any decent money.

1601700401_CheshamUnited_Competitions-5.thumb.png.fad8729d9bdd63490d08fee2198f6a4f.png

730588964_RitchieHawtin_Home-2.thumb.png.f896e440c60bbcf2a27eafd0275b1e59.png

1885275297_RitchieHawtin_Profile-9.thumb.png.93d77527626d53c4563065d9628cb757.png

The club continue to put me and my staff through my badges and although we're not blessed with loads of money, it seems to be enough to keep a reasonable, although thin, team. They don't seem to be as keen in updating the clubs infrastructure though, i'm pushing for better training and youth facilities again but no dice at the moment... They haven't upgraded the stadium for a while though and i'm hoping this means we might actually look at building a new one if i can keep us in the Championship.

Despite decent backing I really fear for us in the Championship, we're miles away from everyone else in terms of quality of players and can't really compete on wages or buying power so i think this one will be more of a battle, it's so competitive in this league with all the ex Premier league teams... Reputation is also becoming a big issue and I'm finding it really frustrating that promising free signings are choosing to sign for teams a league or, in some cases 2 leagues, below us and on a lower wage and with less playing time in their contract. How an ex Arsenal player would take £2k less per week as a regular starter for Southend who finished mid-table in league 1 rather than £2k more as a star player in a championship side seems totally beyond comprehension... but anyway... There's still time to pick a desperate freebie once the season starts :)

Edited by tremor

1 hour ago, tremor said:

seen either of the casuals sides in your reloads?

Nope :( The teams I didn't get:

AFC Rushden & Diamonds, Atherton Collieries, Alvechurch
Beaconsfield, Blackfield, Bowers & Pitsea, Brightlingsea, Bromsgrove Sporting
Corinthian Casuals
Hartney Whitney, Horsham
Merstham
Peterborough Sports, Potters Bar
Radcliffe
Swindon Supermarine
Taunton
Walton Casuals, Wimbourne
Yate Town

Edited by CMU Chips
Correction: Did get Stratford

8 minutes ago, KVJ92 said:

4 games left. I got 1 point in the last 2 games... Boreham is undefeated in 14 games. Don't think I'll take 1st place.. Hopefully I can gain promotion through playoff.

image.thumb.png.409a836d2f8cfe137edb391ae2e76aa9.png

How to make sure you don't win the league. Don't hit the goal............ Boreham won. 5 points up. We go face-to-face next game

image.thumb.png.e556001709aa530b80684acdda12a08e.png

9 minutes ago, KVJ92 said:

How to make sure you don't win the league. Don't hit the goal............ Boreham won. 5 points up. We go face-to-face next game

image.thumb.png.e556001709aa530b80684acdda12a08e.png

How to get back in the race. Beat number 1 and end their 15 games no loss-streak. Sorry for spamming :D 

image.thumb.png.236a2097ab051ea6337a33348b79228e.png

14 minutes ago, KVJ92 said:

How to get back in the race. Beat number 1 and end their 15 games no loss-streak. Sorry for spamming :D 

image.thumb.png.236a2097ab051ea6337a33348b79228e.png

I'm gonna keep spamming! I seriously hate how they can't hit the target.

image.thumb.png.1a5482ed9f54ea960906d187e86f4df1.png

Whats more annoying? Boreham drew.. In 90+2. 1 game left. 2 points up.

image.png.a23e7e7c1aaac798decaa90dc7b679e0.png