Beaten 3-1 by West Brom, three screamers

Just a wild guess and looking at the goals might reveal more.

433 with AML, AMR?

Chances are if they aren't dropping back to help, your MCs are getting sucked out to close down their wingers or even their full backs (assuming they are playing a 442). A central MC with no forward runs and a lowish mentality will tend to position himself as if he is at the tip of a triangle with the 2 CBs (exactly how a diagonal barrowed MC in 08 or a player specifically in the DMC position would). Add in defensive width versus attacking width and I'm guessing their MCs found a lot of time and space to fire off a long shot which in my experience increases the probability of it going in even with a crappy attribute.

If your defensive line and closing down are such that your defenders also dropped off that would add to the problem.

As I said a wild guess and the 2D/3D should tell you everything you need to know.

*Unless of course this is a subtle complaint about the amount of screamers in general in which case feel free to ignore my tactical ramblings :D

two 30 yard strikes and a 40 yarder by Greening beaten my Middlesbrough team at the Hawthorns just now. Im wondering is this linked to the fact my Assman is telling me im leaving too much space between midfield and defence?

How do i combat this?

If you're using a 433 with 3 across the park, what I would recommend is that there be one MC without forward runs, preferably the one in the centre. In terms of mentalilty make sure that if you have the DCs on 8 and the fullback on 10...that the central MC be on 10 as well, you can adjust the two outer MCs to 12 and that should give you plenty of cover in midfield, and that should reduce the gaps. If players are scoring too many screamers than look to closing down more aggressively. Chances are you aren't right now

Yeah for Greening to crack a 40 yarder he must have a lot of space and time, trust me i watched that pussbag play at the Riverside for a few years, he aint that good. IsuckatFm, not really sure whether to trust anything you say judging by your name haha. But yeah i may try really cutting back on Digards attacking options so that space isnt so exploited, ive since ditched the 433 altogether at its getting me nowhere, the original thought behind it was simply my forwards were better than my attack, but my wingers just cant seem to get crosses to them, so it seems pretty pointless.

Its not a complaint about screamers, there hasnt been that many against me, although i was a bit frustrating in that match, as otherwise id have successfully defended a decent 1-0 lead.

Im having a really tough time with tactics in this version, which is kinda good and bad, thankyou for your replies

two 30 yard strikes and a 40 yarder by Greening beaten my Middlesbrough team at the Hawthorns just now. Im wondering is this linked to the fact my Assman is telling me im leaving too much space between midfield and defence?

How do i combat this?

I feel there is no way to combat this except putting 6 men in midfield with close down on full. but then you end up playing 0-0 every match. Long shots will be toned down in 9.2.0 as it is obviously not working as intended.

I feel there is no way to combat this except putting 6 men in midfield with close down on full. but then you end up playing 0-0 every match. Long shots will be toned down in 9.2.0 as it is obviously not working as intended.

Theyre right, ive found its less to do with player positions and more to do with tweaking your defensive lines

I also find that the previous 'arrow system' has been replaced by determining how each player moves and the mentality they have. I too play three in the middle and depending on how my forward 3 are placed (and who I'm playing against) I either go for one or two defensive minded midfielders (I am talking about the mentality you give to these midfielders in your tactics and not necessarily what positions they can play).

In the case above, I may have 3 midfielders and either 1 or 2 of them with a mentality somewhere between middle and defensive. I also have one of my midfielders having more of an attacking mentality. If you play four across the middle (2 central midfielders and 2 wingers) and have one of your CM more attacking and one more defensive, you will find that when you have possession, your team will actually shape up to a diamond formation in the middle - the same formation if you had 2 central midfielders, one DM playing behind and one AMC playing in front. You can then choose to have a narrow midfield which would bring your wingers into the middle more and if you have full backs with forward runs, you could end up with 4 across the middle with an extra midfielder in front and and another sitting behing.

NB in the case above your defensive minded midfielder will generally try to stay in line with the other midfielders who have a 'normal' mentality but will definately come back into a DM role despite you not putting him there as a position, when you lose possession of the ball....just my observances.

Archived