Sports Interactive Community

12 hours ago, MarcyBhoy22 said:

Did you start the game in Nvidia experience or have anything at all running in the background? 

I started the game via Geforce Experience yes. Not sure if this is why but it never did anything for me previously. 

8 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

Anyone having positive effect with the new Nvidia drivers? 

Are you?

Mine updated last night and it was absolutely spot on. Keen to see if anyone elses issues have been resolved since the latest driver update. 

I will check. The update before this latest one was terrible, so I actaully rolled my driver back. At work for now, but will download and give it a go. 

Are you using any additional settings like vertical sync, threaded optimization, shadows off etc.? 

17 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

I will check. The update before this latest one was terrible, so I actaully rolled my driver back. At work for now, but will download and give it a go. 

Are you using any additional settings like vertical sync, threaded optimization, shadows off etc.? 

Okay no worries. Let us know how you get on. 

I'm vertical sync off, threaded optimization on (I think). These settings made no difference for me though. I'm using the optimised settings in Geforce Experience so max settings at a constant 60fps.

I'll play some more tonight and see if the smooth match engine continues. It's known to be intermittent though so I won't hold my breath. 

Working a lot better for me now as well @bakersdozen22. Played 5-6 games on very high. Still have all the settings previosuly mentioned here (vertical sync etc.). 

I would say that it's performing at 95% now. Any lagging I have to actaully look for, and that might also be because I am playing on very high. 

For me new Nvidia drivers also improved gameplay, no lag etc.

1 hour ago, kierzakow said:

For me new Nvidia drivers also improved gameplay, no lag etc.

Are you running it via Geforce Experience? Mine is lagging again if i run the game with nothing in the background. 

I'm now running via Geforce Experience with the game 'optimised' and it's smooth. 

Back to square one again. The only thing that works is my youtube trick that I mentioned previously. 

17 minutes ago, bakersdozen22 said:

Are you running it via Geforce Experience? Mine is lagging again if i run the game with nothing in the background. 

Yes via Geforce Experience, I played 4-5 matches with no lag, only thing I'm worried about is sometimes long waiting before match start.

GeForce Experience is pants and merely dials down settings which you can do yourself to prevent lagging. It has also had security flaws exposed recently. 

I agree that all it does it tinker with settings in game before you start it. As far as I can see it makes no difference for me whether you have it open or not while playing the game. 

It seems, for me at least that the latest Nvidia driver 441.87 has had an effect on ME lag. It's not perfect, there are still the occasional stutters but for around 95% of the time the ME runs smoothly on the very high render setting, unlike previously. If using this driver I have found that it's best to run with the default "Global Settings" on the NVIDIA Control Panel, apart from "Power management mode" which should be set to "Prefer maximum performance" and vertical sync set to "fast" in the Program Settings for the fm.exe. 

Posted (edited)
On 28.12.2019 at 20:48, Crusho79bv said:

This Lag will never stop, because they do not know how to deal with it, they do not know what is the cause of this.

After so many years of playing FM, this is the last year i bought the game!

2018-2019 was last year for me.  I thinked lag problem will be same in 2020 and i didnt buy the game. I think FM is dead for gamer laptops.

Edited by barisprovince

Really hope this can be fixed. Stuttering primarily in match, on all settings but marginally better on "very low". Also some lag in the main interface. Have tried all potential remedies detailed earlier in the thread but without much improvement. The game is unfortunately unplayable as it is.

DxDiag.txt

416 hours played on FM19.

47 on FM20. 

This is so incredibly frustrating.

I keep loading it in the hope I can find a tweak that fixes it, start a game, get 20 minutes in, it's brilliant. Last 70 seems to take over 5 minutes because of all the stuttering. 

It's the FM version of NBA Elite 11.

2 hours ago, Malicious Penguin said:

416 hours played on FM19.

47 on FM20. 

This is so incredibly frustrating.

I keep loading it in the hope I can find a tweak that fixes it, start a game, get 20 minutes in, it's brilliant. Last 70 seems to take over 5 minutes because of all the stuttering. 

It's the FM version of NBA Elite 11.

Yep fm 19 at least had a workaround via launch options. 18 had vsync settings you could tweak. FM 20 is unsalvageable. The lag/stuttering renders it unplayable and they dont care mate. They didnt care in fm18 but got lucky that a small tweak in control panel fixed things. They didnt care in fm19 but some hero found a fix in steam launch options... there will be no fix from FM as they dont give a ...

Ill keep looking in for a solution... it is mildy enraging though

@Neil Brock and @Jack Joyce did you find a solution for this issue?

It is unacceptable that with a device like mine I have 1 star graphic performance and lagging during the match engine. I want to play Football Manager 2020, I bought it as every year the first available day, and on the 14th of January I couldn't have the joy to play it. You need to find a solution for all the people are reporting the same issue. I am not a developer but I work in a cloud base software company, and when our system has some serious issue like this, the developers will work hard to resolve it. And most important thing they will talk to the costumer explaining what they are doing and how they think to resolve the issue. From your side we don't know anything. I doubt it is even an issue for you. This is ridiculous.

I can see that some users of this forum are finding some solutions. 

YOU should find solutions for us.

macOS High Sierra

iMac Retina 5k 27-inch

Processor 3,2 GHz intel core i5

Graphics AMD Radeon R9M380 2048 MB

Edited by __lazio__

Almost a month on from the last failed update and not a peep from Si regarding any progress. I paid almost £2k for my PC because I enjoy other simulations. By far the most demanding I have is X Plane 11 which even in default mode is a graphical challenge. However, mine has a number of third party add ons which include HD landscape, weather, aircraft and global AI air traffic. This would kill anything less than a very high end PC if you attempted to run with every setting maxed out. My PC has that capability and the program runs silky smooth at maximum settings. That being said Si are effectively telling me that my PC is not good enough to run FM20 without lag ! Utterly ridiculous !!!

Edited by bartdude

Any update @Neil Brock @Jack Joyce?

Your communication to paying customers on this issue has been pretty poor. Not even the courtesy of a reply to the many asking you.

@WillGriggsFire @bakersdozen22 @mattj646 @bartdude @__lazio__ I've removed your posts from the thread as they are taking this off topic. 

Please try not to bump threads in the bugs forum - we generally work from oldest threads first, so bumping threads will take longer to get a response. 

Likewise, this is a bugs forum for reporting issues, not a discussion or feedback thread. Please use general discussion for feedback. 

@Jack Joyce may have an update but at this time we are still investigating reported issues. 

The public beta is just that - a beta, and is not necessarily the final version. Thanks for your patience while we look into this. 

Hey guys, the public beta has some performance fixes that may improve the issue for some of you. Please try it out and let us know if there's any difference.

Due to the nature of hardware/performance issues, they can be caused by various different things which all require different changes and have different causes. When responding please make sure you're including all the information we need so that it's easy for us to investigate:

• DxDiag
  • FPS in match (you can turn on an FPS counter in steam settings)
  • Does lag happen on all graphics levels?
  • Does lag happen consistently every match? Or only certain times?
  • Any fixes you've tried that have made any difference? e.g. changing geforce settings.
  • (Only if possible) Does playing on a different monitor/screen make any difference?

This information is the bare minimum we need in order to properly investigate your issue. A lot of you have already provided this which we're grateful for.

Thanks,

Jack

I've only played 6 or 7 games, but all of them bar one were running perfectly. I only use the 2D view, and previously it was constantly at 55FPS (it didn't really fluctulate) which visually had a constant stuttering. Now it's running at 60FPS smoothly, apart from that one match.

@Jack Joyce - on low, with anti-aliasing/shadows off, it's as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Admittedly, whilst an older build saw me have better graphics (medium) and smooth sailing, I'm just thankful I've got my game back. 

Can I ask, is it possible to share (in not too advanced terminology!) what the issue was?

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Malicious Penguin said:

@Jack Joyce - on low, with anti-aliasing/shadows off, it's as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Admittedly, whilst an older build saw me have better graphics (medium) and smooth sailing, I'm just thankful I've got my game back. 

Can I ask, is it possible to share (in not too advanced terminology!) what the issue was?

Thank you.

We've made fixes to 4 or 5 different things that we thought might be causing issues (as an educated guess based on our investigations). It's hard to know exactly which one has fixed it for you, but it's good to hear that there's an improvement! We'll keep working on more

4 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

Hey guys, the public beta has some performance fixes that may improve the issue for some of you. Please try it out and let us know if there's any difference.

Due to the nature of hardware/performance issues, they can be caused by various different things which all require different changes and have different causes. When responding please make sure you're including all the information we need so that it's easy for us to investigate:

• DxDiag
  • Any fixes you've tried that have made any difference? e.g. changing geforce settings.
  • (Only if possible) Does playing on a different monitor/screen make any difference?

This information is the bare minimum we need in order to properly investigate your issue. A lot of you have already provided this which we're grateful for.

Thanks,

Jack

I’ve got ok 60fps my issue is that when a long ball is played there are jumps and some animations cause jumps, it’s borderline playable for me cause I want complete smoothness but for some it’s playable i suppose

1 minute ago, Malicious Penguin said:

@Jack Joyce - Thank you! Also, is the Touch public beta the same as the other? I ask because Touch has some lag still!

I don't think this public beta is the same as the Touch one. You'd have to check on the FMT forums.

17 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

I don't think this public beta is the same as the Touch one. You'd have to check on the FMT forums.

Hello My DXDiag

The problem arises in 3D. When the ball is in the air or even on passes there are lag times.

DxDiag.txt

On 17/01/2020 at 11:18, Jack Joyce said:

• DxDiag

Thanks,

Jack

• DxDiag - See attached
  • FPS in match - Fluctuates between 54 & 60 fps but it's not smooth at all.
  • Does lag happen on all graphics levels?  - Yes
  • Does lag happen consistently every match? Or only certain times?  - Every match.
  • Any fixes you've tried that have made any difference? - If i run a youtube video in the background then FM will run buttery smooth. As soon as i close the youtube, it starts playing up again. 
  • (Only if possible) Does playing on a different monitor/screen make any difference? No difference. Laptop plugged into a monitor but same issue on monitor and laptop on it's own. 

DxDiag.txt

just a quick note, in my case i noticed that lag appears if I hover on player widget  , then when i let go it goes back to  normal (public beta)

22 hours ago, The Threadstarter said:

just a quick note, in my case i noticed that lag appears if I hover on player widget  , then when i let go it goes back to  normal (public beta)

Just to confirm, which exact part of the UI are you hovering over? Could you send a screenshot?

4 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

Just to confirm, which exact part of the UI are you hovering over? Could you send a screenshot?

Hey, when I hover on player profile in match to see attributes (say ratings) it almost stops to a halt for a secon. Similar when I click or check  the box on the overview dropdown widgets on the far right (say I select match rating)

Yesterday I gave another chance to FM.

I am playing on the public beta. Lagging as the hell.

I tried to run a youtube video in the background. Lagging as the hell.

I changed different cameras. Lagging as the hell.

I tried to play in a smaller window with the window mode. Lagging as the hell.

I don't know what to do. It is so frustrating. 1 star performance with a device that cost thousands of euros.

I had to play in 2d like ages ago. But it is not the same experience. 

I hope you will resolve this issue.

Edited by __lazio__

On 17/01/2020 at 13:42, dan99 said:

I've only played 6 or 7 games, but all of them bar one were running perfectly. I only use the 2D view, and previously it was constantly at 55FPS (it didn't really fluctulate) which visually had a constant stuttering. Now it's running at 60FPS smoothly, apart from that one match.

Unfortunately since posting this every time I've played the game since it's been stuttering like it was before the beta patch.

I'm gutted as it makes the game unplayable for me. I only ever play in 2D view, and to have such stuttering is highly disheartening.

On 30/12/2019 at 17:33, Joshuasoul72 said:

Thanks - Hardware desktop set up is as follows:

intel i7-8700k CPU @ 3.7GHZ
                          16 GB RAM
                          Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080

Only been able to play 3 matches since I purchased the game before christmas 21/12/19. Two matches played smoothly then all of a sudden next time I loaded the game it was all jerky, and laggy.  Checked the replays of the two games and they were laggy.  Shut PC down reloaded game and it was okay.  Played another game then stopped.  next time I loaded and every other time since its been laggy which is why I thought there might have been an update, but I dont think there was. 

The performance is awful on all graphical settings even when set to very low, the recommendation is to set all at HIGH as my PC has a 5 star performance rating within the game,  but even on lower settings its unwatchable.  I have tried both windowed and full screen, tried various skins including Material Skin but no improvement.

Using Bit Defender as anti-virus, I set up exceptions once I realised there was an issue thinking it could be that, but it did not change anything - still laggy.  

I tried various NVidia settings and permutations, high performance etc etc and I have changed and tweaked all  the settings in the Nvidia control panel - nothing changed. 

I am pretty sure when I checked the CPU usage during the match that the readings were acceptable, without having much knowledge on this,  the representation in the task manager looked fine for a game like FM so I don't think this would be the problem.

I cannot explain why it worked okay the first two times then eventually for a third time, it seems hit and miss with the percentage of success being very low like 2-4%.  But I cannot keep shutting down and starting up hoping that it might work.  So I gave up and now I hope that you can find a solution for me.  I have attached my Dx Diag. 

Thanks so much for looking into this and I hope it can be rectified.

Its interesting that some laptop users noted the game was laggy when their laptop was plugged in and charging yet played smoothly on their battery.  I have no experience but with the desktop being powered by the mains could it be an issue with power management or something like that?  Again I really have no experience and this is just a guess.

DxDiag.txt 69.9 kB · 5 downloads

I have tried returning to the game since the public beta to see if it has made any difference.  

At first there was no improvement, so I tried running a you tube video in the background as someone had suggested.  This seemed to work initially and I was able to play some matches smoothly albeit on lower graphical settings than my desktop should be running.  Then this morning the lagging returned even with the video playing in the background.  I have tried all morning to see if the lagging improves as I switch between you tube on and you tube off, and although its difficult for me  to determine if it is really the video that is making a difference, there seems to be a correlation between having the video on and the lag improving or disappearing completely.  

What ends up happening is that you play the game on the edge of your seat, not because you are enjoying it, but because your are fixated with waiting on the lag to be present and spoil the enjoyment yet again.  Its getting very tiresome going through this procedure over and over.

I would hazard a guess and say that the public beta may have made a slight improvement, but i'm not sure if this is because I am running a you tube video now, which I was not doing before the update.  I could not play any games before the update and now its random,  You load it up and hope it works.  Then you sit there hoping that you can get through one game or possibly more without the lag returning and switching it all off.

The FPS during the game sits at 60 and I can remember it dropping in the past when the lag was present.  This morning the FPS was still at 60, however when the lag appeared the FPS seemed to stay at 60 although the game was lagging badly.  I don't recall this happening before.

There is also a slight lag in the menu of the game, outside the match.  The FPS on these screens are about 35.  I loaded up FM17 and the FPS in match and in the menus of the game were constant at 60 FPS.  Whereas FM20 is only 35.  There is also a slight issue where at times you cannot click on a players name in the game to take them to their profile.  Its as if the link is lagging.  You then click your mouse elsewhere on the screen and when you go back to the players name the link becomes available. I am sure its all linked and there is definitely still an issue with this game as it is still not running at the optimum level for customers.

I am not very PC literate, however It seems to me that the you tube video may be forcing the game to utilise the graphics card in the correct way and when it is not running in the background the mechanics of the FM program are not able to optimise the game to run properly on certain desktops. 

Once again, I have hopes that this will be corrected soon.

It is taking quite a while and as I said before, from the number of people who are regularly viewing and commenting on this section of the forum it appears to be affecting quite a lot of customers.

I hope that something I have mentioned will be of use and hopefully help you in your efforts to make this otherwise excellent game playable for a lot of people.

Thanks

52 minutes ago, Joshuasoul72 said:

It seems to me that the you tube video may be forcing the game to utilise the graphics card in the correct way and when it is not running in the background the mechanics of the FM program are not able to optimise the game to run properly on certain desktops. 

This is exactly the way I understand it to be. The YouTube solution has never let me down since I discovered it. It's almost as if FM isn't asking the graphics card for enough power. 

It's nothing to do with the CPU if yours is anything above a midrange processor. Also in most cases the FPS is stable between 55-60 fps for most. The problem is something that's loading the GPU to it's maximum, hence the lag, even if you are using a recent and decent graphics card. My PC is a high end machine and I have better moments then before long the GPU load shoots up to 99% and the ME becomes unplayble !!

Edited by bartdude

I can confirm the problem is not the CPU but the high GPU load, even though the GPU rating is 5 stars, the game starts lagging in menus and in match after a while of playing.

On 02/01/2020 at 12:38, mattj646 said:

Decided to install pes 2020 just to see if my setup is the issue. I ran it on it’s highest setting and no lag or any issues whatsoever. I know SI are trying and we are grateful but it has to be something in game not our machines

I agree! 

My game engine is also so laggy the game is not fun to play anymore! My game said I have a 1 star 3D games graphics even though I know this is not true as I have a Asus RoG with Ge Force GTX960M Intel i7 and 8Gb Ram so I formatted my hard disc (which took half a day) to see if I could free up some additional space.

After the re install was complete I cleared about 30G off my hard drive and the game changed to saying I now have 5 star 3D games graphics BUT the game engine is still just as laggy. The game suggests playing on high graphics but I tried medium and its still laggy.  I also updated all my drivers if you were wondering. 

Puts me off playing the game until it is sorted...

I agree!

My game engine is also so laggy the game is not fun to play anymore! My game said I have a 1 star 3D games graphics even though I know this is not true as I have a Asus RoG with Ge Force GTX960M Intel i7 and 8Gb Ram so I formatted my hard disc (which took half a day) to see if I could free up some additional space.

After the re install was complete I cleared about 30G off my hard drive and the game changed to saying I now have 5 star 3D games graphics BUT the game engine is still just as laggy. The game suggests playing on high graphics so I tried different levels from high to medium but its still laggy.  I also updated all my drivers if you were wondering. 

Puts me off playing the game until it is sorted...

On 25/01/2020 at 00:22, Den1ss said:

I can confirm the problem is not the CPU but the high GPU load, even though the GPU rating is 5 stars, the game starts lagging in menus and in match after a while of playing.

I'm not getting high GPU load, the GPU load is mainly about 20%, FPS around 55.

Is everyone experiencing this using a NVIDIA graphics card?

Dear SI, 

You have enough files and examples. 

Please, fix it. 

On 26/01/2020 at 17:24, The Threadstarter said:

are any of you setting any max frame rate in Nvidia 3d settings?

i had it off (and it's in grey on 58 whatever that means)

I didn't find it made any difference. The 58 refers to FPS (Frames Per Second) which would lock it just below the recommended level for a 60Hz monitor.

Hey guys, thanks to the info you've provided we may have finally tracked down a potential cause for at least some of the remaining lag issues. We need to run some extensive tests first but we should have a *potential* fix for you guys before too long.