Sports Interactive Community

15 minutes ago, frank_olaf said:

I'm having issues with lag in the main interface, not the match engine, so want to try and set vsync to high as Jack suggested but can't see how to do this. When I go into the NVIDIA control panel, the options for vertical sync (which I assume is the same as 'vsync') are 'Use the 3D application setting', 'On', and 'Off', there is no 'high' setting.

How can I set it to high?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

I asked Nvidia customer service and they said that if I have both Intel and Nvidia graphic card there is no high or fast option in vertcial sync, Only ON of OFF.

1 hour ago, kierzakow said:

I asked Nvidia customer service and they said that if I have both Intel and Nvidia graphic card there is no high or fast option in vertcial sync, Only ON of OFF.

Have you tried with both options? 

2 hours ago, kierzakow said:

True. There is no option of HIGH or FAST if having both Intel & NVIDIA Graphic Card, only ON & OFF.

I was played with ON, still the same.

I was played with OFF, still the same.

Here's my latest PKM ... what an utter travesty of bug-ridden crap this match engine is for some of us.

And some of us - who've experienced this problem for years - will never buy another iteration of this game until someone solves this problem.

This is beyond a joke. This is with half the settings at medium, on a machine easily good enough to handle these specs ... it handles much more complex titles easily.

Do SI even know what's wrong? 

If this game had competition would the makers have allowed this to persist for years? 

I doubt it. 

Beyond belief now this is.

Aberdeen v Başakşehir F.K..pkm

Ive tried the lot at this point. Even tried throttling my monitor to 60hz last night. No luck unfortunately.  

There are no workarounds as far as i know this year. Unlike last coiple of years anyway.

Embarrassing effort. Entire game feels completely unstable.

I’ve got annoying bits of lag in a game it just stutters (jumps) once or twice every highlight enough for me to stop playing and I’ve about had enough I can’t enjoy the game anymore. It’s like it’s in the game and even after nvidia have officially optimised the game its done nothing it’s up to SI

I've tried again playing some matches today after posting on Tuesday evening that there seemed to have been some improvement however the match engine is back to being unplayable again.  I have no idea why it seemed to be okay on Tuesday night after reporting that it was laggy and jumpy earlier but i have replayed the same games and the graphic representation is terrible.

This has to be addressed as I see other users are posting the same problem and from what I can see their system specs, like my own are more than capable with 5 star recommendations on top end machines.

Can you please update the customers who have posted a complaint  in reference to this as to whether this fault has been logged and whether anything can be done to rectify it.  As it stands the game is not playable.

Much appreciated.

EDIT

After posting this, I shut down the game then decided to load it up one more time and replayed the highlights for the games above.  The graphical representation was fine.  I shut it down again then reloaded and again it was fine.  This is exactly what I did on Tuesday - game on loading was lagging and jumpy in the match. I lowered the rendering in game to the level below  (medium) and then restored it to high then shut down the game and re-loaded and it was much improved.  Obviously this is not ideal as the game should work on first load.  I will try again tomorrow on starting up my PC and if its laggy again in match I will try render then shut down and re-load to see if it works again and will let you know.  Please know that when its laggy its really bad.  I can't understand why changing the rendering and reloading would improve the graphic, somethings not right.  I will update tomorrow

EDIT

Again, after doing the above the game has returned to being unplayable with a choppy laggy 3D graphic.  I cannot explain why it seemed to work on the occasions that it did, but its not reliable, 95 percent of the time when I load the game its unplayable.  The other 5 percent has resulted in me having only been able to play 3 matches in 3 weeks.  Its draining and really frustrating.

Edited by Joshuasoul72

On 25/12/2019 at 14:47, Lucas said:

Have you tried with both options? 

I've tried both On and Off and there is no change to the lag in the main user interface.

I have posted my issue that seems to be shared by several other members of the community with regards to the severe lag in game whilst playing on hardware that is more than capable of running football manager at a high graphical level.

As I mentioned in earlier posts I have tried repeatedly several combinations which I thought may help however it seems that none of them have worked.  Like everyone else here I am frustrated that I am spending time pressing buttons and trying to configure settings when I have spent money on a game that should simply be plug in and play.

Please advise not only myself but all the other customers who are unable to play this game if a fix is being looked into as I am not alone in saying that unfortunately as it stands the game in respect of the match engine for us is broken and in need of repair.

We look forward to hearing from you at SI on this issue and hope that it can be rectified so that we can enjoy the game as it is meant to be played and for the reasons we purchased it.

Thank you.

Since my previous comment on December 20th regarding the rendering issue, I've done a few checks using GPU-Z. If I run with every setting maxed out I get an average GPU load of 86% which oftens leaps up to 99% and flatlines there for a while before briefly dropping to the average then back to 99%. If I drop ONLY the renderng from "very high" to "high" The GPU load drops to an average of 38% and a peak of 50%. The difference between the two settings is ridiculously wide and the very high setting is killing my GPU and that's on a high end machine that is more than capable of running anything currently out there at their maximum settings and far,far more than capable of running a relatively easy load like an FM match engine !! Si really need to get a handle on this and stop making out that it's a "minor issue for some users". Incidentally in checking FM19 on max settings,it not only looks sharp and clear, as to be expected on the "very high" rendering setting but there's no lag whatsoever and it gives a reading of just 65% average and a peak of 75% GPU load !!

Edited by bartdude

This Lag will never stop, because they do not know how to deal with it, they do not know what is the cause of this.

After so many years of playing FM, this is the last year i bought the game!

It will stop when they work out the fundamentals of why the FM20 ME behaves so differently from the FM19 ME when visually there's very little difference. In truth, the FM19 ME looks sharper and clearer to me in any case.

It's shocking and a damning indictment for Sports interactive that this is still a serious issue for many a full two months after the release of the game. People shouldn't be searching around on game/video card 3d settings simply to get a game to work. Can't think of any other game where this happens! Truly appalling to be honest.

Im sick of this, cant enjoy my game because of that lag, i wanna play so much but when i wach this lag i get out quickly 😔

I'm only experiencing lag during matches when my laptop is plugged in. On battery everything is fine, 60fps constant, smooth. Very strange. It's frustrating.  Changing nvidia settings or in-game video settings don't do anything, I tried the lowest settings, it looks awful but the lag is still there. On battery I can max up the settings, still smooth.

Edited by teeby89

4 hours ago, teeby89 said:

I'm only experiencing lag during matches when my laptop is plugged in. On battery everything is fine, 60fps constant, smooth. Very strange. It's frustrating.  Changing nvidia settings or in-game video settings don't do anything, I tried the lowest settings, it looks awful but the lag is still there. On battery I can max up the settings, still smooth.

Its bizarre mate. We mostly are not on laptops on thos thread.  High end gaming pc's with no issues running the more demanding games out there. Yet this match engine apparently too much for our cpus to handle.

Havent played in days. Want to. But cant as its utterly unstable.

On 06/12/2019 at 19:34, dandy1903 said:

This is weird, when I play through the laptop and it's on the charge it lags in the ME, but when it's not on charge the ME is fine. Never come across this before.

Same problem here. It's frustrating. 

Just to re-iterate we are investigating in regards to performance and lag that some users are experiencing with the game. Please bear in mind there are countless different setups, so not every user will be seeing issues for the same reason.

Please provide as much information in regards to what you're seeing and the type of setup you're running (ideally with a DxDiag) and we can use it during our investigations.

Information such as what graphics quality you're running at by default, whether the performance improves if you lower the graphics quality, whether you're in full screen or Windowed mode, what type of anti-virus program you have installed and what your system power settings are set to are all useful to know.

Thanks. 

Thanks - Hardware desktop set up is as follows:

intel i7-8700k CPU @ 3.7GHZ
                          16 GB RAM
                          Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080

Only been able to play 3 matches since I purchased the game before christmas 21/12/19. Two matches played smoothly then all of a sudden next time I loaded the game it was all jerky, and laggy.  Checked the replays of the two games and they were laggy.  Shut PC down reloaded game and it was okay.  Played another game then stopped.  next time I loaded and every other time since its been laggy which is why I thought there might have been an update, but I dont think there was. 

The performance is awful on all graphical settings even when set to very low, the recommendation is to set all at HIGH as my PC has a 5 star performance rating within the game,  but even on lower settings its unwatchable.  I have tried both windowed and full screen, tried various skins including Material Skin but no improvement.

Using Bit Defender as anti-virus, I set up exceptions once I realised there was an issue thinking it could be that, but it did not change anything - still laggy.  

I tried various NVidia settings and permutations, high performance etc etc and I have changed and tweaked all  the settings in the Nvidia control panel - nothing changed. 

I am pretty sure when I checked the CPU usage during the match that the readings were acceptable, without having much knowledge on this,  the representation in the task manager looked fine for a game like FM so I don't think this would be the problem.

I cannot explain why it worked okay the first two times then eventually for a third time, it seems hit and miss with the percentage of success being very low like 2-4%.  But I cannot keep shutting down and starting up hoping that it might work.  So I gave up and now I hope that you can find a solution for me.  I have attached my Dx Diag. 

Thanks so much for looking into this and I hope it can be rectified.

Its interesting that some laptop users noted the game was laggy when their laptop was plugged in and charging yet played smoothly on their battery.  I have no experience but with the desktop being powered by the mains could it be an issue with power management or something like that?  Again I really have no experience and this is just a guess.

DxDiag.txt

Edited by Joshuasoul72

3 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Just to re-iterate we are investigating in regards to performance and lag that some users are experiencing with the game. Please bear in mind there are countless different setups, so not every user will be seeing issues for the same reason.

Please provide as much information in regards to what you're seeing and the type of setup you're running (ideally with a DxDiag) and we can use it during our investigations.

Information such as what graphics quality you're running at by default, whether the performance improves if you lower the graphics quality, whether you're in full screen or Windowed mode, what type of anti-virus program you have installed and what your system power settings are set to are all useful to know.

Thanks. 

Thanks for investigating.

I've tried all possible graphics settings, both in-game and in nvidia control panel and I've tried all power settings possible. The performance doesn't improve. Graphics change obviously, but the lag remains. The moment I plug in my laptop fps drop from constant 60 on battery to 50 something. It doesn't seem much, but it's pretty obvious and annoying and it's inexplicable. Something clearly happens with the game when the switch from battery to plugged in is made. And it's not the power settings, I've even put the exactly same settings in the power plan and the issue still remained. 

I play full screen, my antivirus is the one that comes with windows 10. I play matches in 2D classic. 

DxDiag.txt

Edited by teeby89

18 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Thanks. 

DxDiag.txt

Thanks for those of you who have provided info so far, please do keep it coming and as said, try and provide as much info as you can.

12 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Merci pour ceux d'entre vous qui ont fourni des informations jusqu'à présent, veuillez continuer à les communiquer et, comme dit, essayez de fournir autant d'informations que possible.

Having an AMD ryzen 9 3900x and an RTX 2080S and having 3D shifts is completely frustrating.

On 30/12/2019 at 17:13, Neil Brock said:

Thanks. 

Tried everything mentioned on this thread and no luck. Still choppy no matter what graphics quality I use.

Display - Full Screen Mode

Graphics - Recommended (High)

Anti Virus - McAfee Live Safe (Disable it but no difference)

Power Settings - High Performance (when plugged in).

DxDiag.txt

Display - Windowed

Graphics - Recommended (Low - the recommendation has changed at various points)

Anti Virus - Windows Defender

Power Settings - High Performance (when plugged in/on battery).

DxDiag.txt

Decided to install pes 2020 just to see if my setup is the issue. I ran it on it’s highest setting and no lag or any issues whatsoever. I know SI are trying and we are grateful but it has to be something in game not our machines

4 hours ago, mattj646 said:

Decided to install pes 2020 just to see if my setup is the issue. I ran it on it’s highest setting and no lag or any issues whatsoever. I know SI are trying and we are grateful but it has to be something in game not our machines

This isn't happening on every single machine where people are playing FM - we're trying to find out why certain system setups are causing issues with how our game performs. We're not trying to say it's solely the fault of people's systems, but we need more information as to why some people are seeing this and other's aren't to be able to pinpoint what the causes are. 

Thanks.  

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

This isn't happening on every single machine where people are playing FM - we're trying to find out why certain system setups are causing issues with how our game performs. We're not trying to say it's solely the fault of people's systems, but we need more information as to why some people are seeing this and other's aren't to be able to pinpoint what the causes are. 

Thanks.  

Are you looking for information from users purely suffering from match engine lag or also general UI lag? My match engine is running fine but I get lag in the main interface.

1 hour ago, frank_olaf said:

Are you looking for information from users purely suffering from match engine lag or also general UI lag? My match engine is running fine but I get lag in the main interface.

Would say that’s worth logging in a different thread so it doesn’t get lost in here. 

Thanks.

On 31/12/2019 at 19:03, andrewbaker5 said:

Tried everything mentioned on this thread and no luck. Still choppy no matter what graphics quality I use.

Display - Full Screen Mode

Graphics - Recommended (High)

Anti Virus - McAfee Live Safe (Disable it but no difference)

Power Settings - High Performance (when plugged in).

DxDiag.txt 106.15 kB · 2 downloads

Worth noting as well that mine has been going from good to bad - game to game. For example I can play one match and it was run at a constant 60fps and will run really nice and smooth but then the next game will run at 54fps and will be really choppy. 

I don't know if this helps but i'm just trying to give as much info as possible. 

2 hours ago, andrewbaker5 said:

Worth noting as well that mine has been going from good to bad - game to game. For example I can play one match and it was run at a constant 60fps and will run really nice and smooth but then the next game will run at 54fps and will be really choppy. 

I don't know if this helps but i'm just trying to give as much info as possible. 

I think this is actually valid. I can play with settings and sometines reload skin and so forth in the hopes of getting it smoothed out. Invariably if i see any success its just for 1 or 2 games and straight back to how it was. Ive read a couple of comments to same effect.

17 hours ago, WillGriggsFire said:

I think this is actually valid. I can play with settings and sometines reload skin and so forth in the hopes of getting it smoothed out. Invariably if i see any success its just for 1 or 2 games and straight back to how it was. Ive read a couple of comments to same effect.

Yeah exactly the same for me.

3 hours ago, Malicious Penguin said:

Just to add - my game usually plays brilliantly for 20 minutes, then the lag kicks in.

Common theme here... 

Posted (edited)

So I have - with nvidia gtx 650 -  also had these inconsistencies two matches fine then lag for no apparent reason. I managed in a smaller league, smaller stadium  and on medium (with shadows, anti alias off, crowd low) it was fine most of the time, especially if i reapplied graphic during match - on medium. As I got a better job in Bundesliga,bigger stadium,  the lag kicked in big time, I even got flickering (squared dots). Unistalled and reinstalled drivers to no avail.  I then tried starting the game w Geforce Experience - as I remembered someone posting that here - and that has apparently made it a lot better. I even put render on high, shadows on low, and it was still smoothened (slightly less at longer balls I think)

But as I turned of GE off, it came back.

So what apparently works for me is

1start the game w Geforce Experience

2.apply the wanted match graphic preferences ingame

3. keep Geforce Experience  on during game (dont close it)

also have max power on Nvidia 3d setting, though  apparently - just now - I didn't for this matches and it still ran fine

hopefully this helps someone of you.

Edited by The Threadstarter

Just now, Malicious Penguin said:

@The ThreadstarterThreadstarter How do you start it from GE? When I scan, it doesn't find FM20.

You just go onto Geforce Experience and select the game (and whatever graphics settings) and hit play in the top right. I'll give this a go today and give feedback. 

Okay so the geforce experience thing didn't work for me. However.. I have found something that does seem to solve the issue for me. 

I run a dual monitor setup (laptop open next to monitor) and i often run youtube videos while i'm playing. I've just noticed that if I have a youtube video running the game will run smoothly at 60fps. As soon as I close youtube the game frame rate drops to 54fps and goes choppy. 

Maybe a few of you could try this and see what happens for you? Even if you don't have dual monitors just run a video in the background and see what happens? 

28 minutes ago, andrewbaker5 said:

Okay so the geforce experience thing didn't work for me. However.. I have found something that does seem to solve the issue for me. 

I run a dual monitor setup (laptop open next to monitor) and i often run youtube videos while i'm playing. I've just noticed that if I have a youtube video running the game will run smoothly at 60fps. As soon as I close youtube the game frame rate drops to 54fps and goes choppy. 

Maybe a few of you could try this and see what happens for you? Even if you don't have dual monitors just run a video in the background and see what happens? 

So a youtube video has to be running? Ie literally playing the whole time?

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, WillGriggsFire said:

So a youtube video has to be running? Ie literally playing the whole time?

Hi, same person.. different account. 

I've done the same test for 3 games now and it's only running smoothly when a youtube video is running. If i close the browser playing the video completely the frame rate of Football Manager drops. I can pause the video and it still runs fine (maybe the video is buffering?) but this seems to be solving the issue for me.

Obviously not ideal and not a long term fix - something the fellas at SI could have a look into? @Neil Brock

Edited by bakersdozen22

2 hours ago, bakersdozen22 said:

I've done the same test for 3 games now and it's only running smoothly when a youtube video is running. If i close the browser playing the video completely the frame rate of Football Manager drops. I can pause the video and it still runs fine (maybe the video is buffering?) but this seems to be solving the issue for me.

Obviously not ideal and not a long term fix - something the fellas at SI could have a look into? @Neil Brock

I've played a very long session this afternoon/evening and can confirm it's been running perfectly the whole time while using this technique.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, bakersdozen22 said:

Bizarrely this actually works for me too. Until now every game has been stuttering like crazy. But using this method I can get it to run smoothly even on the highest settings.

If I start a YouTube video after the match has started then it doesn't work, but if I start the match, start the video, click on another page within FM and then click back into the match engine then it runs smoothly.

Just to clarify, I play on my laptop (no dual screens) and have the YouTube video running in the background.

Edited by tiotom92

Go into GeForce and select optimize - or select revert instead. I do this everytime I play and it sorts out the lag.

2 hours ago, tiotom92 said:

Bizarrely this actually works for me too. Until now every game has been stuttering like crazy. But using this method I can get it to run smoothly even on the highest settings.

If I start a YouTube video after the match has started then it doesn't work, but if I start the match, start the video, click on another page within FM and then click back into the match engine then it runs smoothly.

Just to clarify, I play on my laptop (no dual screens) and have the YouTube video running in the background.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! 

Further update - Played some more tonight (probably about 5 matches) and no lag whatsoever. However, this time it was without running video at the same time. 

Not sure if this is something to do with the new Nvidia driver that's come out for my graphics card or not but it runs fine on the highest settings. We'll see how long this lasts.. 

59 minutes ago, bakersdozen22 said:

Further update - Played some more tonight (probably about 5 matches) and no lag whatsoever. However, this time it was without running video at the same time. 

Not sure if this is something to do with the new Nvidia driver that's come out for my graphics card or not but it runs fine on the highest settings. We'll see how long this lasts.. 

Did you start the game in Nvidia experience or have anything at all running in the background? 

None of the above worked.  Not only that but i think the sound effects are worse. I knocked ot off and played cricket 19... which is great is not a simulator and works perfectly.

Joke this year. Games a wreck.