The FM20 Youth Academy Challenge

I've decided to give up guys. Was on a horrible run of form, then my best player Tilt left on a free.

To top it all off, my youth training facilities were meant to have been completed by 22/9/21 in game and it has reached 25/22/19 and still no update, it just says 'planning'... Anybody know why or had a similar issue? @Scab?

Anyway, good luck to everyone carrying on, I will continue to follow your stories :)

Edited by schnauzer

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that @schnauzer:(  'Hope you'll be back for another try later on~.

I haven't had that issue, but I also haven't had any facility upgrades approved. Only youth recruitment, which seems to have worked just fine. Maybe worth reporting to SI?

@Anners Looks like cool team. Welcome to the challenge.

@schnauzer Sorry to hear that, but i can feel you. I think transfers are my strong suit on FM, too, that's why I love this challenge. But if i would fail it several times, I would play a "normal" save, too. Seems like England is really a lot hard as the other countries.

Iuckily I am far from failing at the moment, maybe even progressing? Start to the new season is the best I've had on this save, yet:

X5emEKL.jpg

image.png.d38f4d95faab463efa9edd9bac5243ed.png

2036/37 Putnok season review - Hungarian division II

Champions

It was a fairly smooth season as we won our second second division title by leading from the front. We broke our record for wins and points and the margin of victory could have been even larger if not for a bit of a stumble towards the end of the season.

We also made the quarterfinals of the cup, going down to 1st division Haladás 1-3 on aggregate (0-3a, 1-0h)

The last two times we were promoted was because of a couple of players that were too good for division II and left us as soon as we went up. This was more of a team effort and no one is leaving. The 1-0 win over Haladás gives me hope we can get some points in the top division next season. Although they did get relegated.

The Players

Ádám Varga YP28b and Dominik Huszti YP31b continued to bang in the goals. 

Gergely Kovács YP35f had a season of good development. He played for Hungary in the U20 world cup, reaching the quarterfinals, before losing 1-2 to Brazil.

The youth intake was poor again but Árpád Csendom YP37a and Ádám Varga YP37b (not to be confused with Ádám Varga YP28b), look like they could be useful.

Transfers

A good stream of income. Only Szabolcs Németh could be considered in the 1st eleven. But we had three good centrebacks, so it was a gap we could cover and took away a selection headache.

8 hours ago, schnauzer said:

Unlucky @darren1983. After seeing yourself and @XaW both make good starts but fade I'm beginning to wonder if it's even possible to do this in England....

I think it's possible, but it's just really really hard. I think if you take over a club with better facilities than what I had at Stratford, then it should be possible. I'm thinking about giving it another try sometime down the line...

28433.png

Youth intake 2024

The good intakes keeps on coming! Some great talents again this season.

Ab8xgvo.png

Hörður Kjartansson 24g looks like a great attacking playmaker and he has amazing mental stats for his age.

JhJqXIN.png

And in Ragnar Magnússon 24c we have a more defensive minded all-rounder type midfielder. Also a great personality.

aonSWly.png

Sport Clube Freamunde

My second try in this challenge will be with Sport Clube Freamunde in Portugal. The club has average training and youth facilities, that's really good for the 3rd tier.

Manager

Squad | U19

We have a strong attacking group, Paulo Costa should become our first choice striker supported by Valdinho, Guzman and Pedro Alves (so 4-2-3-1 will be the optimal choice). Also there are good goalkeeper Diogo Freire and right-back Luis Costa... and that's all, we have no decent center-backs or defensive midfielders. So Pedro Trindade, the best first season newgen will go directly to the starting eleven, Other promising youngsters are Andre Martins, Luis Peixoto, Goncalo Martins, Clesio Campos and Manuel Pereira (three latest actually have better chances to be promoted due to the lack of quality on their positions). 

Most of the players are on amateur contracts, so I have to be quick offering them new deals, but at the same time useless backup players won't spend our budget.

We are predicted 14th from 18, and five teams are relegated, going to be a tough season :D 

For @darren1983 - reset date is June 29, and playoff final is played on June 21.

I'm losing my best right back to another Icelandic team...

o5TX9Bi.png

He is a really good right back, and I don't want to lose him, but at least we get a lot for him. And when my protests were not taken into account, I could ask the board to negotiate a future fee and they agreed at least. Nice new feature there.

86Y6DKq.png

On a positive note, I do have a good replacement. The kid who was out on loan last year improved quite a lot.

6XfJ0Co.png

1075059348_ScreenShot2019-11-28at8_52_50pm.png.1f82cf02d88e1f034ffb3748d8694cf5.png

OLYMPIAKOS VOLOU

Just a mini update. We had a shocker in the Greek Cup 4th round, which was our first competitive game. We gave up 6 CCCs so a little tweak was made to the tactic changing the style from a fluid counter to vertical tiki taka. And it seems (at this early stage) to have worked...

201411413_ScreenShot2019-11-30at12_48_32am.thumb.png.df8d9570f64207225c34323f5bed9e21.png

Both draws have been in away games. The second draw was against Larisas where a defensive lapse in the last ten minutes allowed the equaliser. Anyways, off to a good start. I just worry that our small squad will really hurt us as we start getting injuries.

Edited by DrPoods

5 minutes ago, Fastbasher said:

@XaW I think your backup right back is better than your current one. How good is 145k to your finances?

I think he is as good, but not necessarily better. Well, it reduced my debt from 400k to 250k...

njvjD5K.png

St. Ives 2029/30 Season Review

League Table    Youth Intake    Squad    Transfers

About time for a reality check. No panic, but definitely time for tweaks.

It's not as bad as it looks, really, we just lost our attacking edge. Clifton's practically stopped scoring after a big pre-season injury and confidence crisis, and in midfield Knight struggled with lots of small knocks and bruises. Seal may be good enough to step in and do a job, but he's not one to support our attacking moves. I took the opportunity to give Woodward (and to a lesser extent, Steele) some game and mentoring time, but they're predictably not ready to be relied on. Maybe in a couple of seasons?

That's about to be the theme here. The old backbone of the team has either retired or is declining so sharply I can't keep playing them, so more youngsters will need to be shifted into the first team. And boy are they not ready. It's thankfully only a couple of positions still, but Baker, Osei-Bonsu, Wilson, and Forde are all getting into their 30s. I wouldn't normally worry yet, but I've seen other players' ability drop early and sharp already.

The youth intake follows the same pattern as before: Good potentials, poor starting ability. At least Stupple appeared with some decent physicals and promising personality. The others... Well, we'll see. I'm getting disillusioned enough with the slow rate of progress in our youth teams that I may start loaning players out more.

Next season will be an interesting one.

Season    League              Finish   Notes
2029/30   Vanarama National   15th     -
2028/29   Vanarama National   10th     FA Trophy runners-up
2027/28   Vanarama North      1st      League winners
2026/27   Vanarama North      2nd      Lost in Playoff 2nd Rnd
2025/26   Vanarama North      2nd      Lost in Playoff 2nd Rnd
2024/25   Vanarama North      2nd      Lost in Playoff 2nd Rnd
2023/24   Vanarama North      5th      Lost in Playoff 2nd Rnd
2022/23   Vanarama North      4th      Lost in Playoff 1st Rnd
2021/22   Vanarama North      9th      -
2020/21   Vanarama North      15th     -

On 28/11/2019 at 06:37, Fastbasher said:

image.png.619b90ed244e6f15110717f4f1885fbb.png

2035/36 Putnok season review - Hungarian division II

The League

We were in the promotion spot going into the midseason break. Unfortunately when the season recommenced, we started with 3 losses and 2 draws which effectively ended our promotion chances. We eventually finished 5th.

We were knocked out in the third round of the cup 0-2 by Ferencváros. But this marked the first time we sold out our 5197 capacity stadium.

The Players

Ádám Varga YP28b broke the club league goal scoring record by taking his tally to 98.

The youth intake was overall poor, but there were two players of note. Lajos Takács YP36a was very highly rated by my staff and Sándor Mészáros YP36b is good enough to become our new first choice keeper.

Transfers

Unfortunately Gheorghe Toma refused to sign a second contract, so I cashed in on him for 2m.

I checked in on our record transfer out so far and he's doing very well for himself.

István Kun YP31a is now playing for Inter. He has 22 caps for Hungary, is valued at 28.5m and gets paid 105k pounds per week. All at the age of 21.

I feel I may have got a bit shortchanged for 5.25m.

Do you holiday through the seasons? 

@Scab Another season of survival isn't so bad. You've managed to get a lot of seasons out of your originals, if they some are still going in 2030!

I hope for your sake that when you come to upgrade facilities it doesn't bug! If this is a common bug for all non-playable-at-start-of-game teams then it could be a game breaker for the challenge... @XaW and @Fastbasher have either of you had this issue?

21 minutes ago, schnauzer said:

I hope for your sake that when you come to upgrade facilities it doesn't bug! If this is a common bug for all non-playable-at-start-of-game teams then it could be a game breaker for the challenge... @XaW and @Fastbasher have either of you had this issue?

What bug?

22 minutes ago, basschaapje said:

Do you holiday through the seasons? 

Only the first season so far. I find this challenge quite quick to get through seasons when you don't have to worry about scouting or buying players.

Currently have 472hrs played on FM20 according to Steam but some of that time was when I fell asleep on the laptop.

4 minutes ago, XaW said:

What bug?

This:

13 hours ago, schnauzer said:

To top it all off, my youth training facilities were meant to have been completed by 22/9/21 in game and it has reached 25/22/19 and still no update, it just says 'planning'... Anybody know why or had a similar issue? @Scab?

23 minutes ago, schnauzer said:

Not noticed any problem so far. Upgrades were ticking over regularly. They're a bit slower now because it's harder to raise money for the high end ones.

One thing I was ticked off about was that my youth intakes in the 1st div were significantly worse than when I was in the 2nd div. I'm hoping it's just coincidence due to small sample size, or that the stars are compared to 1st division players.

image.thumb.png.dc4a1c79e3a7f935f1fd15ea77f67ae2.png

1 minute ago, schnauzer said:

This:

Ah, didn't notice that one. I haven't had anything like that. I did get upgraded facilities with Stratford and that worked fine and finished. You should report it to SI and have them take a look, if you haven't already.

2 minutes ago, schnauzer said:

I had that happen many times in previous versions of FM. I just put it down to delays in building or a project, like in real life. Considered it a feature rather than a bug.

@Fastbasher @XaW thanks for the quick replies guys - I have just reported it to SI so I'll wait for them to get back to me.

Did the upgrades eventually go through then @Fastbasher? The thing is it when I press the toggle between 'ongoing' and 'completed' requests it appears under 'completed' - even though it says it is still in the planning stage :seagull:

Btw your facilities are insane @Fastbasher, you must be pumping out world class players pretty soon surely? 

Edited by schnauzer

2 hours ago, XaW said:

I'm losing my best right back to another Icelandic team...

o5TX9Bi.png

He is a really good right back, and I don't want to lose him, but at least we get a lot for him. And when my protests were not taken into account, I could ask the board to negotiate a future fee and they agreed at least. Nice new feature there.

86Y6DKq.png

On a positive note, I do have a good replacement. The kid who was out on loan last year improved quite a lot.

6XfJ0Co.png

FFS Valur, you really don't need two right backs?

gjSTSMu.png

Luckily, right back is one of the positions I'm well stocked. So now this fellow is my new first choice right back...

SxcBuXe.png

2 minutes ago, schnauzer said:

Btw your facilities are insane @Fastbasher, you must be pumping out world class players pretty soon surely? 

Just one so far. István Kun, recently moved from Inter to Real Madrid. Valued at 64m now.

Dávid Gábor also got 2 caps for Hungary, but he is not in the national team now.

The world class players won't stay very long if I can't increase my club rep and Hungarian league rep. At present I'm hoping for solid Hungarian division 1 level players.

Hungarian division 1 is now ranked as the 8th best league in my game. The AI teams in Europe have been doing their job.

image.thumb.png.d7b8db763628c55fac097cac27b805bd.png

image.thumb.png.45e41aeb5e095cd245da089cdab79735.png

To be honest, I’m still tossing up my Volou and Palermo saves. I suspect Palermo would have more staying power. Also, I’m pretty sure I’d enjoy a bigger team. In the past I’ve done Iceland/Switzerland/Denmark and couldn’t really get any to stick.

What do you all reckon?

I’ll sleep on it.

Suffice to say I love this challenge!!

Edited by DrPoods

8 minutes ago, Britrock said:

Does anyone happen to know which of the leagues has the shortest seasons? I'm looking for a country where I can smash through a few seasons fairly quickly, my English save is taking forever with 46 games a year. 

Iceland has a 22 game season.

7 hours ago, keeper#1 said:

Iceland has a 22 game season.

Plus two cups, once of which is a group stage, so you'll likely end on around 30 games a season (before Europe, of course). The same is Norway, 30 league games, but only 1 knockout cup, so not many more games there. I think those two are the ones with the fewest matches, at least in Europe.

7 hours ago, Britrock said:

Does anyone happen to know which of the leagues has the shortest seasons? I'm looking for a country where I can smash through a few seasons fairly quickly, my English save is taking forever with 46 games a year. 

Norway has 26 games and a knockout cup.

28433.png

Youth intake 2025

A good youth intake, but it's getting obvious my players are improving. Fewer 5 star talents now.

RFFYXFR.png

Sindri Jónsson 25c is a nice AMC, but I don't use that role, so I might turn him into a Pressing Forward. That acceleration!

iQoQvkg.png

Atli Már Hafþórsson 25a is a good prospect for the defence.

PMhwfr0.png

I'm going to restart this in a week or two.

I need to get to grips with all the changes since I last played FM.

I'll be back once I've sorted out how I am going to play and what I'm going to do.

Edited by DrPoods

1 hour ago, SpS_Zen said:

Uruguay second divison has 18 league games, no cup, and a weird average point rule lol.

Now that sounds very interesting. I can try to find the next Luis Suarez and I've never really played outside of Europe so south America would be a nice change of pace. 

Vikeologist's Palermo 2023/24 End of Season Report

Image result for palermo fc

I thought stood a chance of going one better and winning the league so, instead of instant resulting as I normally do, I watched every match for almost half a season until I was certain that we were sufficiently far ahead that we wouldn’t be caught.

I also thought watching the matches might be helpful in deciding on a new goalkeeper. As mentioned before, I decided to put the retainer out to pasture, but I had 3 kids, all with identical current and potential ability. Frankly though, opposition sides had so few chances against us, watching wasn’t really instructional. In the end I opted for the slightly better shot stopper, but once the league was won, gave some more games to the youngest of the three.

We didn’t lose a match until after Christmas, and ended up winning with 4or 5 games to go, eventually winning by a comfortable 22 points. We won the Super C Cup equally comfortably, winning both matches.

Obviously I’m a bit worried about how we’ll fare in Serie B, but I think that this is a good time for promotion.

Top Goalscorer – Daniele Corti YP3a - 16

Our star striker, Alfonso Marsiglione was sold at the start of the season, but Corti equalled last season’s top goalscorer’s tally. He does indeed seem to be our best striker.

Highest Average Rating (minimum 10 matches played) - Spoilered because he's a legacy player, and other Palermo managers might not want to see.
Spoiler

Roberto Crivello

Our left back. He’s 32 now, and I need him to stave off decline for a while yet to let his heir Francesco Paolo Lanzetta YP4b develop. Unfortunately, once players start going downhill, it can be rapid, and especially so for someone like Crivello, so dependent on speed.

Man of The Match - Roberto Crivello / Simone Calì YP1d – 5

Last year’s MOM Simone Calì YP1d picked up 5 before leaving us (for a lot of money and a future fee clause) mid-season, so I guess he’s the real victor.

Most Valuable Player - Daniele Corti YP3a

He is our best player.

A few quick notes. Sold 2 star players, one by choice, the other less so, but despite all of Palermo’s advantages, we were losing money, so the fees were helpful.

I’m continuing to improve facilities, although we had to spend a lot of money just to reverse the decline in main training facilities, and we haven’t yet been able to afford to upgrade Youth facilities.

Youth Recruitment and Junior Coaching are now exceptional, which I think explains why I’m able to introduce youth players pretty quickly.

The squad personality is professional now, which is a source of great joy for me. We have 16 Fairly Pro players to thank for that, and a depressingly low number of Professionals (2), Resolutes (1) and Model Citizens (1, and hopefully I’m not going to cock that up via mentoring). Mentoring has actually robbed me of a couple of Resolutes, but the mean is more important.

Season	Division		Position	Notes										
20/21	C/C			8th		Eliminated in 2nd round of promotion playoffs.
21/22	C/C			8th		Eliminated in 3rd round of playoffs
22/23	C/C			2nd		Eliminated in Quarterfinals of playoffs.
23/24	C/C			1st		Won league and Super C Cup easily.

20191130104334_1.jpg

20191130101602_1.jpg

20191130101612_1.jpg

dorchester.jpg.92e3dae21c109ef2ff17a9d17e188483.jpg

SEASON 2020/2021

League Table  Transfers

A solid start to the challenge, Mid table team the whole season. The last seven games, i just played youngsters, to get them more game time as we were no threat to promotion or relegation. A really good season from our young front two, Charlie Gosney and Neemo Nixon, who i hope will fire us up the leagues in the coming years. In the FA cup, we were knocked out in the 3rd qualifying round by Vanarama National team Eastleigh, after a replay and the FA trophy we made it to the 2nd round, losing to Vanarama north team Tamworth. Made some money and the board allowed me to increase the junior coaching and youth recruitment budgets. Won't improve facilities just yet. 

Youth Intake

Could this actually be a golden generation intake??? Best prospects GK Ali Davies, will become my No 1 and FB Thomas Ingram, will be in the first team squad. The first game after the intake i played all youngsters, no one over the age of 18 and we beat Bath (who were pushing for a playoff place) 6-2!! Is that a sign of things to come?? There are a few others who could be in the first team squad, so i'm excited and hopefully will continue for future intakes!

Season League League position FA Cup FA Trophy Notes

2020/2021 Vanarama national league south 13th 4th Qual Rd 2nd Round Junior coaching budget increased; Obtained National B license; youth recruitment networking budgets upgraded
Edited by andbec

XaW - Íþróttafélagið Völsungur - 2025

28433.png

Table | Squad | Transfers | Finances

As the reigning champions our goal were clear, do it again! But with a lot of cups we had enough distractions to make it harder for us. Before the season even started Valur bought BOTH of my best right backs, due to the board accepting bids. While the money was nice, it was still a bit annoying. However, the wing back position is one I had quite a number of, so it wasn't that big of an issue as it could have been if it was my goalkeeper or something like that. The season started a bit slow, just like last season. And, just like last season, we got better as the season progressed. We were part of a three team race for the title along Grindavik and Breiðablik. With a game left we were in the lead, 2 points ahad of Breiðablik and only 1 point ahead Grindavik. However, those two faced each other, so a top 2 finish were guaranteed. Breiðablik won their game 3-1 away to Grindavik, so our result would decide it. We were at home to already relegated Fjölnir. It looked good when we took an early lead, and kept pushing on. However, we didn't find the net more, but going into overtime everything looked fine. Then Fjölnir gave a last push and actually managed to equalise the game! What did this mean? We lost the title on the final day, on goal difference, because of that goal. So no title this year...

Before the league started we played in the Frábær Bikar, kind of like the Community Shield, were we beat Afturelding on pens.

In the Deildabikar we didn't progress from the group stage when we finished behind Stjarnan and Fjölnir, but ahead of IR, ÍA and Víðir. In the Bikarkneppni karla we beat Haukar and Afturelding before losing to FH in the quarter final.

We had another go in Europe this season and this time it was the Champions League due to our league title. Our first opponent in the 1st qualifying round were Qarabağ of Azerbaijan. We beat them 3-0 at home and lost 3-2 away to go through. In the 2nd qualifying round we faced Zrinjski Mostar of Bosnia Herzegovina. A great 3-1 away were followed by a 1-0 win at home. In the 3rd qualifying round we drew Maccabi Tel-Aviv of Israel. We narrowly beat them 2-1 at home and held them to 1-1 away to go past them. In the Playoff we got Viktoria Plzeň of Czechia. We lost 0-3 away, and could only draw 1-1 at home and got knocked out. This meant we went into the Europa League group stage! Here we got some tough opponents in Ajax of Holland, Watford of England and Zorya of Ukraine. We still haven't played all the matches yet, but I don't expect we can do much.

The leading players this season have been Gunnar Jónas Hinriksson 21cFreyþór Harðarson and Reynir Baldursson 21h.

pxGqh6D.png

image.png.d2fcea196d9198db73887ed85e6b3239.png

2037/38 Putnok season review - Hungarian Division I

The League

We changed to a 4-5-1 to try and hold the stronger opposition. We battled hard in some games, failed miserably in others and ultimately came up 6pts short of survival.

There are leagues within a league in division I. The gap between the teams in Europe and the rest is growing. There is another gap back to the teams coming up from division II.

We made it to the quarterfinals of the cup before losing to Division I champions ZTE 1-5 on aggregate (0-3h, 1-2a)

The Players

Not much to write about here. Ádám Varga scored another 11 goals. Many players are refusing to sign new contracts and the ones that will sign are wanting too much money.

We're in for a rebuilding phase.

Transfers