Football Manager 2020 Pre-Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

Ive played about 15 games with the new ME and so far it seems good and in my opinion a big improvement over FM19.

More variety in goal types and finally I am scoring goals with through balls,. Striker movement in the final 1/3 is pretty cool to watch and definitely improved over FM19.

My AMC is now also playing a lot more forward passes and generally being more positive this must be a positive side effect of striker movement.

Despite a lot of positives, one slight area of concern is long range goals my initial feeling is perhaps its a little high, so far roughly 30% of my goals are scored from outside the box. I'll continue to play tonight and I feel this is problem I'll make a thread in the bugs/balance section.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Weller1980 said:

Despite a lot of positives, one slight area of concern is long range goals my initial feeling is perhaps its a little high, so far roughly 30% of my goals are scored from outside the box. I'll continue to play tonight and I feel this is problem I'll make a thread in the bugs/balance section.

Yes, this feels a little toppy to me too, but I don't actually know of any resources to benchmark against real life stats. We still need long range efforts but it seems a bit too easy to work space 25ish yards out. It should be very congested in these areas with DMs and midfielders busting a gut to close the ball down and that's not happening as much as I'd like.

If i have multiple delayed contract offers (2 in this case), why can't i see the details of those contracts?
Now i have to wait a week to be able to compare them, if i don't take another job in the meantime.

1667006881_Merknad2019-11-01114827.thumb.jpg.74e410cc272e94e3bc4ecc62d6cf728b.jpg

Edited by roykela

I think I might have made a mistake somewhere, but despite NOT delegating Team Selection, I am unable to drag/drop players and have to use the suggested selection.

9e6ede815136d9eb3d246d69f7fdb4b3.png

b73d595fa4c468cfc3b345480bb0aeec.png

Oh I see what's happening. I've made my own squad selection page to help me select the squad, and although I can use the "Position selected" option on the original tab, it won't allow me to use it on the new one. That's frustrating. 

6ca439643db92fbd66018772fe592019.png

• SI Staff
11 hours ago, GOODNAME said:

What is the different between IW and IF ?

IW is more of a creator that cuts in from the flanks with the ball.

IF is more goal-focused, making runs into the box and trying to open up shooting opportunities.

8 hours ago, Rashidi said:

There could be other factors, i just did a twitch stream where I camped for 90 minutes in the opposition half, they never came out and i think we won 4-0 or was it 6-0. They didn't have a single shot on goal and we did like 70% possession.

3 hours ago, Seqw said:

Gegenpress seems as OP as before if not even more. So that's nice.

Why is it so hard to make the intensity level of your tactics really have an impact on fitness levels? IRL no team is able to play super high pressing football for a full match but in FM you can do it all day everyday. This really demeans the lifework of Jurgen Klopp.

Can more people confirm whether the opposition still struggles to deal with high pressing, regardless of the team? That's something I really hoped they would address, I could understand it being unbalanced last year, since they only just introduced Line of Engagement, but I'd be very disappointed if they did nothing to fix it. Last year I hated nothing more than struggling while standing off, but the moment you switched to ultra aggressive tactic, you were suddenly on top. Effective Gegenpressing should require very high levels of tactical familiarity, team cohesion and fitness levels, you shouldn't be able to suddenly switch to it in the middle of the game and pull it off like prime Liverpool.

I watched your stream @Rashidi and you were Barcelona, so being able to camp in the opposition's half is understandable (even though you weren't with the team for long enough for the tactical familiarity and team cohesion to be high), but I'd be very disappointed if you could achieve similar effect as a Vanarama North side, for example. Last year it seemed like the main issue was that the AI simply wasn't good enough at recycling the ball once they were pressed.

On the squad screen, does anyone know where i can add the column for promised playing time, thought it would be under contracts but can't find it anywhere. I can find the actual playing time column and playing time happiness but not the promised/expected one?

This is feedback re: FMT.

The transfer embargo on Chelsea is strangely implimented - it should surely prevent you from actually signing players, not, as it currently does, from even approaching their clubs about a future transfer when the ban is lifted.

Also, PLEASE give us the option to disable the first transfer window. Surely that's easy enough and not contrary to the spirit of the Touch experience?

First of all, I want to say thank you to the SI team for FM19.  It was my first FM - I played CM03/04, had a gap and came back to that game, before buying FM19.  Steam says I played 763 hours, which is superb value for money - plus further hours on here or other sites/YouTube reading/watching stuff about tactics.  I pre-ordered FM20 a while ago now, and appreciate the discount - so I figured a little Beta feedback is the least I could do!

The first thing I wanted to is test the new unemployment experience, as I'll probably be using it!  So, I started a save unemployed and worked through until I got a job.

The first thing is I felt the game clicked through a bit faster than FM19 when unemployed.  I really liked how you could get more info on clubs and their visions before deciding whether or not to apply.  There was a Conference North club who wanted attacking football, but then it was fight against relegation, so that made me think twice about applying as I would probably play defensive/counter attacking - and that's a nice bit of added realism.  I also think it will mean you can have a go managing a club demanding attacking - and then try something different, perhaps not your normal tactical system, so it will give you a chance to manage differently.

One suggestion I would have is to perhaps be able to create an alert when a particular job comes open.  You can see insecure etc., in your in box, but I guess it would be more applicable when you have a job, but have a specific next step in mind.  Perhaps you are in the Premier League and want to be England manager is a good example.  You might be able to do that, but I couldn't see an option.

I thought it was an improved experience - easy to click apply straight from your in box.  Hopefully I won't need to use it much, but I probably will!

I'll have a go with a proper save and leave feedback in a few days, but first impression is that the game looks and feels really smooth - so thanks for all your hard work.

14 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

I watched your stream @Rashidi and you were Barcelona, so being able to camp in the opposition's half is understandable (even though you weren't with the team for long enough for the tactical familiarity and team cohesion to be high), but I'd be very disappointed if you could achieve similar effect as a Vanarama North side, for example. Last year it seemed like the main issue was that the AI simply wasn't good enough at recycling the ball once they were pressed.

Thanks for watching, I would be similarly disappointed if I could take a bunch of busboys and make them play like Tiki Taka gods.

Did you notice the second half of the stream when I switched to Braintree? I couldn't do the same thing. With my lower league side I had to be direct counterattacking and using a target man. I plan to do more streams like that where I try different things out. Going to show people how the defensive line and line of engagement works as a starting point when deciding your style for example, or how you analyse tactics super fast now in FM20. I feel that FM20 is really easy as far as playing the match day is because of the amount of information you get. I did a 4312 yesterday and a 4123 and liked how the through balls were coming in my 4312. Gonna do another stream later, and do some shows for youtube. Was sick last month and only recovered last week. So I am a bit behind the curve.

4 minutes ago, Vlowman said:

This is feedback re: FMT.

The transfer embargo on Chelsea is strangely implimented - it should surely prevent you from actually signing players, not, as it currently does, from even approaching their clubs about a future transfer when the ban is lifted.

Also, PLEASE give us the option to disable the first transfer window. Surely that's easy enough and not contrary to the spirit of the Touch experience?

Worth putting in the FMT feedback section.  :thup:

24 minutes ago, deaks500 said:

On the squad screen, does anyone know where i can add the column for promised playing time, thought it would be under contracts but can't find it anywhere. I can find the actual playing time column and playing time happiness but not the promised/expected one?

It's under transfer

9 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

Thanks for watching, I would be similarly disappointed if I could take a bunch of busboys and make them play like Tiki Taka gods.

Did you notice the second half of the stream when I switched to Braintree? I couldn't do the same thing. With my lower league side I had to be direct counterattacking and using a target man. I plan to do more streams like that where I try different things out. Going to show people how the defensive line and line of engagement works as a starting point when deciding your style for example, or how you analyse tactics super fast now in FM20. I feel that FM20 is really easy as far as playing the match day is because of the amount of information you get. I did a 4312 yesterday and a 4123 and liked how the through balls were coming in my 4312. Gonna do another stream later, and do some shows for youtube. Was sick last month and only recovered last week. So I am a bit behind the curve.

Anywhere to rewatch the stream?

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, roykela said:

Not sure about club vision yet. I'm at a "doomed from the start" club (took charge of the club in the late second half of the season) and they told me to fight bravely against relegation.
That's reasonable. The next 4 years they wanted me to stay in the current division.
In my opinion those 4 next years shouldn't be there, in this case, as the future is very, very insecure.
They don't have the players, quality nor the money to be able to stay up. So, those 4 next years aren't realistically a thing. The board should understand that.
This is what i meant that i hope the 5-year club vision isn't chiseled in stone for every single club.
In this case there wouldn't be any chance they would be able to have a realistic 5-year plan. Especially not the kind of plan and vision they have.

It is dynamic but the 5 years are always filled in, even with what is effectively a placeholder of "continue doing what you're doing" in this situation.

There is a very good chance that if you do save this club from relegation, the 5 year plan will be updated in the end of season review meeting.

It certainly is not set in stone but ensures you can always see the path ahead, even if that is liable to change with circumstance.

As I'm still setting up my first game, my initial thoughts are it's a nicely polished version of 19, nothing so far I don't like (barring me not liking change), QoL very good so far, some things I would like different but am finding navigation fine, I've done couple of staff contracts, and I didn't like the first but then second time on the screen I thought it's ok just got to get used to different layout. Overall positive so far, will report back after couple of friendlies for thoughts of matchday.

Actually a minor complaint, I want my manager to have a big bushy beard like me.:kriss:

Edited by toffee71

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, luka_ said:

Signed Pogba for PSG and board says it's only a B- transfer which is weird. I think in RL they would consider it as A+ with his marketing value and the fact he is the star of the french national team who just came to play for the best team in France. 

My suspicion is that the only thing holding it back would be the massive transfer fee and wages you will have had to pay.

If you believe this still to be an issue, please raise it here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/725-club-vision-and-performance/

• SI Staff
22 minutes ago, Vlowman said:

Regarding this part specifically, this is a limitation of how we are currently able to implement embargoes in FM. A real-life "registration" ban is a "transfer offer" ban in FM,

This is something we are aware of and have down for review in the future.

6 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

I plan to do more streams like that where I try different things out.

I'd totally watch your video called "The Myth of Overpowered Gegenpressing", where you try to showcase the good vs. bad team difference, when it comes to highly aggressive tactics. :D

In reality, a low-quality team, that isn't fully familiar with the tactic and doesn't have fully filled Team Cohesion bar, should fall apart even trying it. If nothing else, their fitness levels should be absolutely drained after one half of ball hunting, but I never found that to be the case. Last year a basic 4-2-3-1 with Counter-Press, More Urgent Pressing and a High Defensive Line was doing wonders for me, whenever I tried it.

12 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

It is dynamic but the 5 years are always filled in, even with what is effectively a placeholder of "continue doing what you're doing" in this situation.

There is a very good chance that if you do save this club from relegation, the 5 year plan will be updated in the end of season review meeting.

It certainly is not set in stone but ensures you can always see the path ahead, even if that is liable to change with circumstance.

I see what you mean.
Had to start over again with a new save where i received a few offers.
I came to the same understanding, as your explanation, that it is a placholder when examining a bit closer.
In that case; i'm very happy :D :thup:

vor 5 Minuten schrieb glosoli:

Ctrl + A (select all) does not seem to work on the search bar. I would like to raise that issue but I'm not sure under which bug section I should report it.

Interface forum.

6 minutes ago, glosoli said:

Ctrl + A (select all) does not seem to work on the search bar. I would like to raise that issue but I'm not sure under which bug section I should report it.

I've reported that already under UI, hopefully that's where it'll get seen.

59 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

Can more people confirm whether the opposition still struggles to deal with high pressing, regardless of the team? That's something I really hoped they would address, I could understand it being unbalanced last year, since they only just introduced Line of Engagement, but I'd be very disappointed if they did nothing to fix it. Last year I hated nothing more than struggling while standing off, but the moment you switched to ultra aggressive tactic, you were suddenly on top. Effective Gegenpressing should require very high levels of tactical familiarity, team cohesion and fitness levels, you shouldn't be able to suddenly switch to it in the middle of the game and pull it off like prime Liverpool.

Had to abandon gegenpress as Barnsley as teams were hitting me on the counter all the time. 

I was getting 2 to 3 clear cut chances against me every game. 

So my first impressions from the Beta are positive. Especially the match engine seems to be pretty good. However one thing that has happened to me very often, in my opinion way too often, is defenders loosing the ball to a high pressing striker with no reason. So I'm talking about Bundesliga lvl. (Robin Koch, Dominick Heintz at my team, but it happened to opponents as well) defenders who get passed the ball from another defender and have the first touch of a baby elephant and just gift the posession to the striker who then is through on goal.

Now I get that this does happen in real life, but it's pretty rare that it happens just as an unforced error, because the (buli-level) player can't control a simple pass into his feet. And it's happening twice - or thrice in most of my games. May there needs to be a slight adjustment to the first touch or something.

Edited by Robsontist

1 minute ago, kiwityke1983 said:

Had to abandon gegenpress as Barnsley as teams were hitting me on the counter all the time. 

If I am a lower league side and trying to push my way to the top the way to go is to play an old fashioned English forward up top and play direct with a low line of engagement. basically a counter attacking style of football

• SI Staff
48 minutes ago, duesouth said:

One suggestion I would have is to perhaps be able to create an alert when a particular job comes open.  You can see insecure etc., in your in box, but I guess it would be more applicable when you have a job, but have a specific next step in mind.  Perhaps you are in the Premier League and want to be England manager is a good example.  You might be able to do that, but I couldn't see an option

Two existing features that help you with this. 1) Go to your Social Feed, select 'Manage Subscriptions' and Follow the nation/teams you want to manage in the future. When the current manager leaves, the news about their departure will be delivered to your inbox. 2) Unemployed managers get a 'suitable vacant jobs' news item from their personal assistant every week which rounds up available jobs that might suit you.

1 minute ago, Rashidi said:

If I am a lower league side and trying to push my way to the top the way to go is to play an old fashioned English forward up top and play direct with a low line of engagement. basically a counter attacking style of football

We played geggenpress IRL in League 1 last season and had a record breaking season. I was also easily able to play that way in FM19. 

This version what was happening to us is exactly what is happening in the Championship IRL too. 

We'd create chances but miss them, then give away possession and be caught on the counter. 

One thing I've been loving about this ME. Counters are so much more realistic in how the ball is given away. 

2 hours ago, RTHerringbone said:

Yes, this feels a little toppy to me too, but I don't actually know of any resources to benchmark against real life stats. We still need long range efforts but it seems a bit too easy to work space 25ish yards out. It should be very congested in these areas with DMs and midfielders busting a gut to close the ball down and that's not happening as much as I'd like.

About 8% of the total amount of shots from just outside the box and 19% on target are goals IRL. 

I dunno what percentage that is of the total amount of goals though. 

53 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

Regarding this part specifically, this is a limitation of how we are currently able to implement embargoes in FM. A real-life "registration" ban is a "transfer offer" ban in FM,

This is something we are aware of and have down for review in the future.

Does "down for review in the future" actually mean that it is out of scope for any FM20 patches? Chelsea is always my long term save and it would be great if this were addressed in an early FM20 patch/fix.

33 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

That's a positive sign. :thup:

Seeing a lot of one on one's going down either channel - not too many goals but it seems like the defending and goalkeepers actually make a difference, forcing the player wide or cutting off the angle and forcing them to shoot across goal. It actually makes sense and looks realistic rather than the mindless thumping it straight at the keeper from FM19.

Also playmakers knocking little balls round the corner into space for attackers to run onto or into space is a glorious sight to see.

1 hour ago, Jack Joyce said:

IW is more of a creator that cuts in from the flanks with the ball.

IF is more goal-focused, making runs into the box and trying to open up shooting opportunities.

Hi Jack. If the IW is more of a creator, why does he not have risky passes as a hard-coded instruction, when the IF does? Seems counter-intuitive to me given your comparison of the roles.

• SI Staff
17 minutes ago, mhaffy said:

Does "down for review in the future" actually mean that it is out of scope for any FM20 patches? Chelsea is always my long term save and it would be great if this were addressed in an early FM20 patch/fix.

As this is not a bug but requires the system reworking, it is unfortunately unlikely it will change for FM20.

8 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

Hi Jack. If the IW is more of a creator, why does he not have risky passes as a hard-coded instruction, when the IF does? Seems counter-intuitive to me given your comparison of the roles.

Jack needs to confirm this but I think IW may have more creative freedom under the hood by default, whereas IF may have less creative freedom hence more goal scoring focus since he is a forward?

Edited by pats

18 minutes ago, pats said:

Jack needs to confirm this but I think IW may have more creative freedom under the hood by default, whereas IF may have less creative freedom hence more goal scoring focus since he is a forward?

When I first heard that this role was being introduced, I made some assumptions about how it may work. For example, in my head, I thought about a type of player that was quick, who could dribble, liked to cut inside, but wasn't a great passer of the ball (there are loads of these in the database). Think of a pacey player who likes to play on the opposite flank to that of his strongest foot (e.g with attributes like Adama Traore?). I see him as more of a greedy runner / goalscorer than a creator, so the notion that he would be more creative than an IF goes against this logic. 

Edited by rdbayly

Just playing a mess about save at work, seeing:

- loads of balls over the top, even on Cautious standard d-line

- loads of offsides which ties in with the above

- some strange player out-wide shots from impossible angles 

I'll keep tabs on it before I report anything 

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, glosoli said:

Raised this internally already and should be fixed for release

Im getting red dots and marks over the tabs when I hover over them which are worse in the tactics induction and development induction.  I have checked the graphics and my system tells me Im on the latest drivers

Tactics Induction.jpg

1 hour ago, kiwityke1983 said:

We played geggenpress IRL in League 1 last season and had a record breaking season. I was also easily able to play that way in FM19. 

This version what was happening to us is exactly what is happening in the Championship IRL too. 

We'd create chances but miss them, then give away possession and be caught on the counter. 

One thing I've been loving about this ME. Counters are so much more realistic in how the ball is given away. 

Someone asked me on the stream whether its possible to play exclusively with a system which has a simple out for the keeper. So on the stream I switched to Braintree and created a WTM based system. No play out of defence, cos they are hopeless, and a simple instruction to the keeper to kick it to the WTM. He tried a few times, missed and finally there was one pass to the WTM that clicked, The WTM passed it to the PF on attack who then scored. That was the only one goal in a counter attacking setup. So yeah I like what I see in FM19 so far, the responsiveness with the roles and the instructions is fine. Naturally over time we are going to find more creative ways to punish the AI and if an exploitative way opens, I hope it does on beta which is what I am aiming to do, then at least we can address it. 

Overall though I am quite enjoying this switching between Barcelona taking a one goal lead playing a high tempo short passing game and then switching to a more conservative Tiki Taka game and keeping the ball away from the opposition style of play then switching to a old fashioned hoof the ball to someone strong and hope that we can score system.  Its definitely a step in the right direction. Plus and this is a huge plus Analyst and Scout reports are so good now, I almost don't want to read them cos there is so much information there, all you need to do is read up, adjust your training for the week and account for how the opposition play. FM19 is by and large for me personally speaking the best FM experience I have ever had and this is from someone who didn't hold back in FM18 and said it like it was - a bad playing experience. Comparing 18 to 20 is like going from dusk to dawn.

Just now, wazza said:

Im getting red dots and marks over the tabs when I hover over them which are worse in the tactics induction and development induction.  I have checked the graphics and my system tells me Im on the latest drivers

Tactics Induction.jpg

Please post here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/709-crashes-technical-issues/

We can help you in the Technical Issues, cheers.

• SI Staff
49 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

Let's look at someone like Alexis Sanchez - he always took a lot of risks on the ball and with his passing which meant he gave away the ball a lot, but would also generate many goals and assists.

Inverted Wingers are a bit more sensible and conservative, they'll still play through balls and crosses, but they'll do so when there's a better opportunity rather than trying to force it. Of course you can always set 'take more risks' if you want them to do so.

6 minutes ago, Teep said:

Is it "safe" to start a long term network save during beta like it is for single player, or much higher risk of it not being compatible after the 19th?

iirc Miles said that he wouldn't recommend it.  Think it was on the official twitch stream