Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Football Manager 2020 Pre-Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

Just checking, whether this is a bug or added realism? I've noticed various complain about goals being chopped off for offside despite watching it back and it's clearly on. Just had my experience off it, watched it back on highlight and I'm scratching my head to find the offside, nobody is!

Has referee errors been added or is this a bug because there is no way these decisions I've seen on streams and my save are accurate.

Also watching it back, the player they gave offside against was NOT even involved in the play, never touched the ball - watched the highlight again in case he was blocking the sight of keeper etc and he was onside during the full phase of play from what I can see.

Edited by Quadrophenia88

Refereeing errors are included in the game, but to be sure if you could upload some examples in the Bugs forum, the developers can have a look to see if the game is working as intended

3 minutes ago, Armistice said:

So what is your first impression of the Match Engine guys?

enjoying it so far, goals seem to be pretty varied & I haven't seen many silly goalkeeper errors yet

My first Impression: cleaner, Lots of options. 

But it takes a bit of time to find where everything is as the menus changed. Once you know how it works, it's all in one place though. 

Everything seems now more "together." Things/Screens/Concepts communicate with each other. 

All in all enjoying. 

BTW, existing partnerships = amazing. :). Feels like you join a club that has players that played together already instead of starting fresh. 

Ive already disregarded the line up advice I get from my Ass Man before games. All he ever does is tell me to swap my CBs around, and sometimes drops in swapping CMs around.

My left CB is best as a BPD and prefers the left side. My right CB is best as a CD and has no preferred side. That's how I play them, yet every game hes trying to get me to switch them around.

Hes a fairly poor one in terms of attributes so is that the reason? Or is it a bug with how it works?

I also lose the far away touchline and edge of box when viewing in "sideline" in a 3D match, but my laptops not the greatest and it's a bit leggy, so could be my end thats the issue.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Anyone else notice that when they press Ctrl+F to do a search, it types the 'F' in straight away?

Gegenpress seems as OP as before if not even more. So that's nice.

Why is it so hard to make the intensity level of your tactics really have an impact on fitness levels? IRL no team is able to play super high pressing football for a full match but in FM you can do it all day everyday. This really demeans the lifework of Jurgen Klopp.

Edited by Seqw

12 hours ago, Bothan Spy said:

Hair Styles FM20.  WTF?  Are you kidding me? I've had to go for crew cut as the rest are worse than a free comedy hair app! Ha ha!

Note to the makers. People don't have hair like that.  Not unless they live in Legoland or in 1990s video games...

I look like i have an emoji turd on my head.

On a more positive note, the faces look much better.  

IRL I have greying dark brown hair.

In the game I can't decide between Elvis, Philip Schofield or turd.

Edited by dannysheard

54 minutes ago, Armistice said:

As I said yesterday lots of one on one's that are either saved or just spanked wide. But I'm playing friendlies against teams not even in a playable league so I imagine that's why they were missing them. 

Seen lots of variety of goals. Passing is much, much smoother and more fluid. It's now actually possible to play a passing style and it look reasonably good. 

Errors are fairly realistic and what I've seen from my side IRL so no complaints there either.

I think all in all early impressions are it's an improvement ON FM19 which was already excellent. 

Only real downside so far. Manager hairstyles. Good god they look awful. Like they were taken from a totally different game and shoved in last minute. 

Anyone else finding the preferences page really difficult to navigate? Can't find things I need.

Just now, stevemc said:

Anyone else finding the preferences page really difficult to navigate? Can't find things I need.

Aye it's certainly a step backwards.

1 minute ago, dan99 said:

Aye it's certainly a step backwards.

Don't understand the reason for it, it's a page you only use every so often, but all relevant information should be there and easily accessible.

It was fine before, how on earth has this passed a UX test?

19 minutes ago, stevemc said:

Made a quick comment on this also. Glad I am not the only one.  Also uhh one more thing in contract offer. Why in hell you would put previous offer, existing contract, current offer under a drop down menu :(

9 hours ago, SebastianRO said:

ACWsCvz.jpg

The first thing that glared at me is the picture above. How could anyone validate this color choice ? The polygod with white lines looks .... very poor.

1. The skin needs a bigger polygon.

2. The color choice of the entire polygon is poor. Look at polygons from yester years (17,18).

Have to agree, loving the game so far, but that is the only thing I don’t like.

I couldn’t seem to find how to change the attributes colours but could see a few people have successfully done this

.... any ideas?

more importantly it’s all looking good for me so far.

Edited by Fritz13

1 minute ago, Fritz13 said:

I couldn’t seem to find how to change the attributes colours but could see a few people have successfully done this

.... any ideas?

more importantly it’s all looking good for me so far.

Preferences. advanced then custom skin colors.  That's something I had to change too as it was very jarring.  Hopefully they can add more automatic options for people to press before release.

A couple of positives, the players and board seem more reasonable now.  It feels like your conversations have a more tangible effect and can actually have a positive effect if you are reasonable.  Early days but if this continues it makes communication more important, realistic and engaging in the game.  At times in the past it felt like you couldn't win and were too limited on matter what you said.  So far it seems a better balance, and when you have good conversations with players the morale seems improved which is good, even when you have press conferences and say good things about the players.  All this makes the game feel more immersive and like what you're saying in press conferences and conversations matters and you can have a positive effect.  I know it's been there for a while but it feels more functional and balanced now so far.

10 hours ago, rdbayly said:

The obvious difference in the way that matches are playing out is a reduction of blocked crosses due to better flank passing combinations / decisions.

Although going on my most recent match, one worrying aspect remains:

image.thumb.png.4d8209478f966cb7edd7db890b017973.png 

You do realize that Klich has Shoots from Distance PPM right? 14 is quite a decent rating too in long shots so not impossible that this would happen.

3 hours ago, MaxeyN17 said:

Anyone else notice that when they press Ctrl+F to do a search, it types the 'F' in straight away?

No idea if it's related but when i'm in i click-and-drag to make a substitution the game reacts as if it were a double-click.
Thus if i try to drag the sub to his position it takes me to the player profile screen instead.

2 hours ago, stevemc said:

Agree with this one. Preferences page is very messy.
It needed a little cleaning but this made it worse.

A couple of things i have noticed is that the players seems to be very fond of taking shots from 30-40 meters, despite having been told to work the ball in the box.
My team is quite rubbish so that might be a thing. But even when they have multiple options of passing they opt to shoot instead.

Another is full-backs and wingers long-passing the ball to the other flank. They're somehow very, very good at that. Pin-point precision.
Watching on comprehensive highlights and, even though they do miss a couple of times, the accuracy of those passes/crosses are incredible.

When i started the game and came to the page where i choose my reputation, coaching style etc. I was unable to change it to having no coaching badges.
I was stuck with choosing National A License. Couldn't change it one way or another.

Not sure about club vision yet. I'm at a "doomed from the start" club (took charge of the club in the late second half of the season) and they told me to fight bravely against relegation.
That's reasonable. The next 4 years they wanted me to stay in the current division.
In my opinion those 4 next years shouldn't be there, in this case, as the future is very, very insecure.
They don't have the players, quality nor the money to be able to stay up. So, those 4 next years aren't realistically a thing. The board should understand that.
This is what i meant that i hope the 5-year club vision isn't chiseled in stone for every single club.
In this case there wouldn't be any chance they would be able to have a realistic 5-year plan. Especially not the kind of plan and vision they have.

One disappointment i have is that custom views are still messed up. Random columns moving when trying to manually adjust size.
One column shifts to the right whilst another column shifts to the left.
Please fix this, once and for all. It's been way too long now.

Otherwise i find the Beta to be very good. Very smooth, clean and very fast.
Extremely polished for being a Beta. I'm enjoying it thoroughly so far.

Edited by roykela

1 hour ago, Armistice said:

From that 3 hours I played I saw a lot of one on ones, wonder if others saw too, or it's just my tactic. And these one on ones were rarely converted-which did not bother me because these happenned for the opposition. I also feel that players act more naturally regarding crosses, they meight feint a cross and wait for teammates, less dumb decisions there. I play with a deep lying forward/false 9 and thankfully they do drop deep more so than in 19.

hello, could anyone tell me where the RELOAD button/option has been gone, when you are in Preferences screen?

I'm doing a lot of graphics modifications and that button it was really helpful, now I cannot see it anymore.

Thanks! 

10 minutes ago, Justified said:

You do realize that Klich has Shoots from Distance PPM right? 14 is quite a decent rating too in long shots so not impossible that this would happen.

You can skip the primary school lessons. You do realise that a hat-trick of such goals from long range is a massive statistical outlier? The real issue here is the AI once again failing to defend the corridor outrside of their box due to being too deep and narrow. I think we've been here before..

2 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

You can skip the primary school lessons. You do realise that a hat-trick of such goals from long range is a massive statistical outlier? The real issue here is the AI once again failing to defend the corridor outrside of their box due to being too deep and narrow. I think we've been here before..

So how many long shot goals has Klich scored in total? Or was it just that one match where the opposition sat too low?

So far so good except the usual extremely high CPU usage with FM betas... in game, my Mac sounds like it will take off :D

1081508609_Screenshot2019-11-01at09_56_10.png.ea8a43ef251b6bae4b10f477fd9f70cc.png

Edited by gipsy

Interesting - Has anybody encountered this so far:

image.thumb.png.b0475cd5dfbeeba22a7aa15b856cc7ee.png 

Given we criminally short at centre back, and I've raised 3 times this amount by selling dead wood, the board block a perfectly reasonable bid for a top 18 year old prospect. It even matches a club vision metric in signing young players to develop for profit.

Do I just have a difficult board or is this a bug?

3 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

Interesting - Has anybody encountered this so far:

image.thumb.png.b0475cd5dfbeeba22a7aa15b856cc7ee.png 

Given we criminally short at centre back, and I've raised 3 times this amount by selling dead wood, the board block a perfectly reasonable bid for a top 18 year old prospect. It even matches a club vision metric in signing young players to develop for profit.

Do I just have a difficult board or is this a bug?

I'm sure its mentioned in the OP that this is one issue they're aware of.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm sure its mentioned in the OP that this is one issue they're aware of.

You sir, are absolutely correct. It is indeed mentioned in the opening post of this thread.

Kind of makes it hard to play or judge the game if you can't sign players. 

Am I the only one who can't edit shortcuts in preferences? When I type shortcut in the preference search menu there is option to edit shortcuts but when I open it, there is screen in which you change attribute colors.

3 minutes ago, Bakiano said:

Am I the only one who can't edit shortcuts in preferences? When I type shortcut in the preference search menu there is option to edit shortcuts but when I open it, there is screen in which you change attribute colors.

Just checked, same here. You'll have to report as a bug unless it's something they're aware of.

8 hours ago, 99 said:

Seen some pages ago already a title celebration.

That was the Community Shield ie one game into the season :D

It was mentioned in the buildup, people asking about linesman wear on the touchline & it's in, it's great 

I have noticed some random player shadows on the near touchline too, I'll keep my eye on that but it was Halloween so could've been ghosts :D

46 minutes ago, Ras said:

Preferences. advanced then custom skin colors.  That's something I had to change too as it was very jarring.  Hopefully they can add more automatic options for people to press before release.

Cheers mate - just searched for it but was staring me in the face 

4 minutes ago, Justified said:

Just checked, same here. You'll have to report as a bug unless it's something they're aware of.

Okay, I will report it.

32 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

Please wait and monitor for a decent sample size (at least 10-15 competitive matches).  If you believe there remains an issue after this time please raise in the ME Bugs Forum with several example match pkms and timings when the issues occur.

Match Engine looks to be in reasonable nick at this stage.

It's never going to be perfect and there are still some refinements needed, but I'm seeing a nice variety of goals, have had my wing back knocking the ball past his man along the goal line and cutting a square ball back to an attacker, and defending generally seems a notch up on recent versions.

Didn't get to play much last night, but impressed with what I've seen so far.

One thing I'm struggling with is the manager model. I'm using the same picture as last year (which worked fine), however, every face I generate, makes me look like Gary Coleman with a shrunken head. I'm either doing something drastically wrong - or Si's redesigned manager models mentioned in the feature blogs are not an upgrade on last years offerings.

Is anyone else getting bad results - or is it just me?

Signed Pogba for PSG and board says it's only a B- transfer which is weird. I think in RL they would consider it as A+ with his marketing value and the fact he is the star of the french national team who just came to play for the best team in France. 

1 hour ago, Justified said:

Btw, somebody had researched that it was basically twice as easy to score from range on FM19 already -- how much AI tactics Play a role in that one, who knows. Can anybody confirm that even defensive midfield roles meant to hold their Position would now suddenly push up deeper into the Opposition half in Possession? Saw that somewhere claimed. Would also be pretty odd.

1 minute ago, luka_ said:

Signed Pogba for PSG and board says it's only a B- transfer which is weird. I think in RL they would consider it as A+ with his marketing value and the fact he is the star of the french national team who just came to play for the best team in France. 

Probably worth logging that one as a bug. Doesn't sound right.

Someone in this thread earlier couldn't get his full backs to cross even with 'cross more often' PI. How are other people finding their full backs?

I have to say I am not loving the use of drop down menu's rather than tabs. Adds unneeded additional clicks. Flicking between offers in contract negotiation, for example. The screen for assigning tasks to staff also looks like a total mess right now.

Other than that, the game looks slick. The processing feels faster as well. Not actually got round to playing a game yet!

EDIT: In fact the layout of contract negotiations feels like a huge step backwards in general. It has gone from nicely organised in separate section to a lumped together mess. This is the only truly poor thing I have found so far. It is just ugly and difficult to read at a glance. 

Edit 2: Transfer offers are the same mess. Why has the logical screen with different areas for different types of fee been abandoned?It is painful to go through an offer now. 

Edited by sporadicsmiles

12 hours ago, saihtam said:

Quick quesiton, is there new combination of buttons to make screenshot? alt +f9 does not seem to work.

It should now be Alt+S. As in S for Screenshot :brock:

11 minutes ago, Jack Deal said:

It should now be Alt+S. As in S for Screenshot :brock:

Finally info we have been waiting for.