Football Manager 2020 Pre-Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

10 minutes ago, akkm said:

thats a fundamentally incorrect assumption on fm17...yeah defending was loose then and comparably to last two but what those videos on fm17 show is that that's how weak defending should be exposed and punished with quality movement and pass decision making which is how it should be. Last year this pass decision making was absent in the simulation and this year until me2016 it was also absent. Even in me2016 this year that quality pass decision making is still undersimulated quite a bit actually and too much value is placed on play out wide and passing towards the wings. SI are aware of this and are working to resolve it but people's frustrations are understandable given the level of feedback re this last year and the amount of pkms/threads provided last year. Those FM17 videos have absolute merit in highlighting what was severely absent last year and continues to to absent to a similar level as fm17 simulation wise. There are plenty of opportunities space and formation wise where teams can be opened up in Fm20 but the pass decision making is inadequately simulated to expose it

in fm19 defending became a thing and the attackers became your stone statues instead...so defending was better but the perception of it was it was better than it was because attacking play was severely undersimulated and patterns were very repetitive to create goals and openings. Overall last year attacking movement was poor but the primary driver of poor central play and through balls was then and continues to be inadequate simulation of proper pass decision making. Until this gets bumped those issues will remain. The good thing is we're getting closer but the not so good thing is until we're there we're not there.

I can counter that argument with teams . are . not cut open that easily unless its on a transition where the biggest problem in FM19 was not lack of these killer passes because it happened, it was lack of these . killer passes when the defense was settled and 10 men were behind the ball. 

In 17 defending was bad, hence attacking was easier and you were able to cut teams open at ease. In 18 There was balance between both in 19 defending became OP and attacking suffered. 

In 20 we are getting closer to that balance, the balance of getting both attacking and defending right where we want it. 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Amarante said:

I can counter that argument with teams . are . not cut open that easily unless its on a transition where the biggest problem in FM19 was not lack of these killer passes because it happened, it was lack of these . killer passes when the defense was settled and 10 men were behind the ball. 

In 17 defending was bad, hence attacking was easier and you were able to cut teams open at ease. In 18 There was balance between both in 19 defending became OP and attacking suffered. 

In 20 we are getting closer to that balance, the balance of getting both attacking and defending right where we want it. 

but that's a weak and flawed argument you're offering up because the overriding factor is in fm19 and fm20 prior to me2016 the pass decision making wasn't simulated to use space as it was in fm17...even in instances in 19 and 20 with adequate space the same passes weren't being chosen to exploit a defence as it was in 17. Yeah in 19 and 20 deep lying defences offer less space but in those players and the ball don't move in and around the central top third to create guiled and creative ways to open up defences especially the prime real estate outside the pen area acts as a repellent to quality play ball, pass and player wise...of course it's hard to operate there in real world football but not as hard as it is in FM. Attacking suffered in 19 cos pass decision making was terrible and combined with poorer attacking movement and improved defending gave the false impression that defending was so good but really the weapons and tools to break down the deep lying defences were markedly absent in 19 because of pass decision making. If you move all your players out to the wings in FM19 and allow massive gap down the middle as an experiment you will see that in abundance that pass won't exploit it as it should.

I agree in 20 we are moving in the right direction but there's still a fair bit to go to emulate real world quality pass and movement centrally in terms of selection of passing and probing centrally

19 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I'm really not sure how people can say this updated engine is worse than the last one. LOOK AT IT!! It's a thing of beauty. :D

I've played about 15 games today. 5 or 6 friendlies and 9 Prem/EURO games and I'm still not sold on this ME. 

I see a lot of players beat the fullback then spaff it into the side netting constantly, fullbacks are especially bad for this.

One on one's are still an absolute lottery to whether the player scores or you wonder if a lad from the crowd just took the shot.

Goals come from set pieces or penalties more often than not. 

Interspersed with a lot of good god what is that, are however things of absolute beauty I must agree. 

In fact I swear if I see another player spaff it into the side netting instead of crossing I'm going to throw my laptop out of the window! 

Edited by kiwityke1983

9 hours ago, styluz05 said:

My strikers rarely got to 15+ in FM19. With this ME my striker for Hacken in Sweden now has 16 goals in 15 apps. And scoring all sorts of goals. 

Looking at his profile: How many attempts on Goal did they average on FM19? And how many does he now on FM20. If his numbers here are lower than 3-4, you may be lucky, btw. Half a Season is but half a Season, plus if you're overachieving in General, you'll face more defensive AI. 
It's been a while since Allsvenskan had seen a Forward who kept on scoring a Goal per match all Season.

Gamesradar UK have already released their review, which as they state was based on the Beta. So, OP Gegenpress, 1on1s, Screamer Goals as cons.

Edited by Svenc

3 hours ago, Amarante said:

I really am laughing my ass off at all those FM17 videos people posting the goals but yet they are ignoring the **** poor defending  that led to those goals. FM17 was unrealstic. I played a tactic that if i tried that now in 19/20 i would be roasted and yes i did try it and found out i was roasted. 17 had good attacking play because the defending was awful.  18 had a good balance between both, in 19 defending became a thing, like real proper defending not stone statues that don't do anything. 

In 20 i believe we're almost their super close to that point where defending is a thing and attacking is working right.

Not sure if serious. If through balls were a possibility in FM19 you’d have a river of goals. The goals I’ve posted were scored against attacking sides who pressed and left more space, do you think I was cutting defenses wide open like that against defensive sides?

On the plus side, the ME is now far improved and much better overall, its actually fun to watch the games play out. 

Only two more issues I see are, 

Players shooting after reaching the by-line, especially full-backs.

General lack of short through balls and inter-play through the middle.

If the above 2 can be sorted, we will have the best game of all time on our hands :D

4 minutes ago, karanhsingh said:

On the plus side, the ME is now far improved and much better overall, its actually fun to watch the games play out. 

Only two more issues I see are, 

Players shooting after reaching the by-line, especially full-backs.

General lack of short through balls and inter-play through the middle.

If the above 2 can be sorted, we will have the best game of all time on our hands :D

I think people who enjoy this ME must be playing a counter attacking style. If you play possession based football you see the fullbacks shooting from the byline about 6 or 7 times a game its almost unwatchable.

Spoiler: Some of the tactics on sharing platforms remain as awful as ever. I'd be very concerned if they didn't report back with some "issues", and/or wouldn't further highlight them. Some of those being the usual suspects. Ridiculously low shot to Goal conversion ratios depending on how the AI lines up (and how the run of Goals are going as the AI may only open up and Change upon finally conceding). Ridiculous AI Comebacks as there oft is no defensive Transitional presence whatsoever, so all that may be needed is a short switch of the AI to a more attacking tactic to score multiple Goals in a couple minutes (or straight from kick off after conceding). Loads of poor shots (including tons of set pieces) as space is hugely compressed. Outright magical AI shot to Goal conversions on any random Occasion (AI must be cheatingzzzz!!!1) . And so on.

Then again FM, as a Play pretend Guardiola kinda fantasy, easily allows all of it. :D

Edited by Svenc

ME is definitely improving with each update but still some pretty fundamental issues.

Over-reliance on wing play to create meaningful chances. I have noticed this not only in my team's games but also AI vs AI matches, encompassing a range of tactical styles/formations. Full backs/wing backs are becoming increasingly more important to a team's attacking success in real life but this is overdone in the FM current ME to the point where it almost feels like cheating (the only reason it doesn't lead to more goals is because of poor crossing/shooting from tight angles).

Slide tackles appear to be the only way to tackle. Compounded by numerous fouls and the domino effect that is therefore leading to excessive yellow and red cards.

On the plus side, long switches of play on shorter passing seems to have been eradicated and in general I feel I have better control over what my team is doing on the pitch.

45 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

image.thumb.png.bf37beffe12e148906bab43f3a7e4ffd.png

This image above basically is this ME in a nutshell for me.

Fullback gets to byline and then spaffs a shot off, either into the side netting or as here into the goalkepper.

This ME is almost  unwatchable for me as this happens numerous times per game for both sides.

Where are you expecting him to pass it in that situation?

Post your tactics up, as theres something you're doing differently seeing as you seem to be an outlier with this issue. Be interesting to see if its replicable by matching tactics with you, as I rarely get full backs in that position never mind shooting.

With 1 on 1s I have no problem, my players are scoring enough of them, didnt see one crossfield pass from my fullback to another fullback on other side, but problem still lies in crossing from byline. Winger or fullback just dont want to cross the ball.

And one question, can you change the ratings from board to numbers instead of letters?

51 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

I think people who enjoy this ME must be playing a counter attacking style. If you play possession based football you see the fullbacks shooting from the byline about 6 or 7 times a game its almost unwatchable.

I play a possession based game, and since the update (around 40 matches now), I've seen that happen about twice at most. Are you sure you're using the most up to date engine? This is what was constantly happening pre-update. 

9 hours ago, RJCPS said:
  • free kicks and corners now scare the s*** out of me since GK/defenders seem rather sleepy in the box (to be fair this is probably on me as I have not adjusted anything in this regard in that test save)

Very much have noticed the change in conceding from corners.  Rarely shipped any goals in the original ME - shipped 3 in 4 games with the same setup - tweaked it, still couldn't stop the rot - 6 in 9 games.  Nothing special with the setup - 2 CD's marking tall players - next 3 best headers zonally (near post, far post, central) - CM edge of area - fast striker left up - everyone else back.

I've only played 9 games, so not enough to fully feedback, but initially I would say it's harder with a rubbish team (as it should be).  Some issues solved, but others still there - and I noticed my fullbacks suddenly struggled, often getting ratings in the 5's or low 6's.  I'm actually going to manage a better team tonight to see if some of those issues were with the rubbish team I was managing in those 9 games.  Certainly saw nothing from my inverted winger or winger in 9 games - but they aren't great - so again, maybe as it should.

Edited by duesouth

7 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I play a possession based game, and since the update (around 40 matches now), I've seen that happen about twice at most. Are you sure you're using the most up to date engine? This is what was constantly happening pre-update. 

As far as I'm aware I'm using the latest ME. (do you know what version is the latest?) 

My fullbacks spaff shots wide about 4 or 5 times a game at least when they should really cross the ball. 

Just now, kiwityke1983 said:

My fullbacks spaff shots wide about 4 or 5 times a game at least when they should really cross the ball. 

Make sure it's not perception bias though. Go to the analysis tool and it'll show where all your shots are being taken from. I'd be surprised if it was that many to be honest, but that's the best way to tell these things. 

ME i'm using is version 2016

51 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Where are you expecting him to pass it in that situation?

Post your tactics up, as theres something you're doing differently seeing as you seem to be an outlier with this issue. Be interesting to see if its replicable by matching tactics with you, as I rarely get full backs in that position never mind shooting.

I'm not expecting him to shoot is the point and I constantly see such shots. I've tried everything I can imagine from discouraging him from doing so, he won't listen. 

(miraculously he actually scored one of his many spaffs in this game) 

I'm using the preset vertical Tiki Taka 4-1-2-2-1 tactics. 

I realise I'm an outlier in this, its driving me marginally crazy I'll be honest. 

1 minute ago, kiwityke1983 said:

I'm not expecting him to shoot is the point and I constantly see such shots. I've tried everything I can imagine from discouraging him from doing so, he won't listen. 

(miraculously he actually scored one of his many spaffs in this game) 

I'm using the preset vertical Tiki Taka 4-1-2-2-1 tactics. 

I realise I'm an outlier in this, its driving me marginally crazy I'll be honest. 

If you know how to upload your save game somewhere, I'd be happy to have a look at it for you. 

18 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

To add to previous feedback since the last update. 

I have now played over 30 matches on this update, and I really do feel this is the best match engine SI have produced. People can argue long into the night about what is right for them, but for me, if I had to boil it down to one thing, it's the remarkable difference since the first beta build in your team's style being represented properly on-screen. It felt like in the original beta, no matter your playstyle, you would always see endless long balls, cross field passes, volleys from 30 yards pinging into the top corner. When I play the game now, not only is the style I want the team to play getting more cohesive as the matches go by, but also my (and the AI's) tactical changes are having a real visual effect. I have never made so many in-game changes in any other version of FM than this one. It feels (for me) like actually going up against another manager. 

This feedback is all based on a save from the VNN in England, so I don't know how the engine changes have been implemented at a more elite level. But right now, I'm enjoying FM more than I have for about 2 years now. Which is nice. 

I think one of the biggest compliments I can pay the latest match engine is that games are now a lot less predictable. In previous versions you could just see where each highlight clip was going, now I feel during most clips, possession can sometimes change multiple times before we see one team take the initiative and finally come out on top.

4 minutes ago, DoubleDenimSuccess said:

I think one of the biggest compliments I can pay the latest match engine is that games are now a lot less predictable. In previous versions you could just see where each highlight clip was going, now I feel during most clips, possession can sometimes change multiple times before we see one team take the initiative and finally come out on top.

Agree with that. The whole thing is far better to watch now. I'm even watching in 3D all the time now, and I've been a 2D lover for years. 

16 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

If you know how to upload your save game somewhere, I'd be happy to have a look at it for you. 

I'm actually unbeaten this season and 2nd in the league (Liverpool are running away with it). It's not that my tactics don't work. I'm just seriously annoyed by my leftback spaffing shots from the byline haha

Which could as you've said be some form of cognitive bias as I notice it every time he does it.

I'm also on ME v2016 too by the way.

I want Dagenham Dave's game.

Think the Match Engine is much improved, but the one-on-ones are still a major problem, my end. It's at the stage where I don't expect the player to score when he's clean through & if it's the opposition, I relax, it's ridiculous! Conversion rate must be 15% at the highest. But that's not the issue, if the conversion rate was higher I'd have continual high-scoring games. The added attacking movement has been a nightmare addition, in my book. The game can't manage it. This & the general finishing is just so poor.

The crosses are also proving to be a work in progress for me. Last year I leaned towards crosses from deep from my wide players, to keep a certain lid on blocked crosses, & had some great floating balls to the opposite winger with a volley at the back post. This year deep crosses doesn't really seem to be working & you seem better off with byline, where players drive at their man before whipping it in.

Edited by TWG85

2 minutes ago, TWG85 said:

I want Dagenham Dave's game.

I often think I've got a different version to the game than anyone else. Maybe it's just that my expectations are lower, who knows? I'm old remember, I can remember Football Manager on the Spectrum in the 80s :lol:

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Dagenham_Dave:

Sometimes I think people expect far too much from this game. If you play the game constantly analysing whether this part or that part is EXACTLY like real life and are constantly looking out for things wrong with it, you're never going to have a good time with it. Yeah, leave feedback and report bugs, but leave the stressing about it to the devs and enjoy it for what it is. The best football management game on the planet. Bar none. 

Only because there is no other football manager game to speak of 

2 minutes ago, thejay said:

Well, the one that must not be named, was just not good and people who complain here wouldn't even have known where to start with complaints on the other one.

1 minute ago, thejay said:

There's a plethora of football management games out there. None of them are any good, however. The closest to this one is probably Soccer Manager (in that it has real players, all the leagues, and a 2D match engine), which is still miles away from FM. And absolutely chock full of microtransactions. 

None of this is SI's fault, of course. 

22 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I often think I've got a different version to the game than anyone else. Maybe it's just that my expectations are lower, who knows? I'm old remember, I can remember Football Manager on the Spectrum in the 80s :lol:

International Football manager on the ZX Spectrum was amazing.

7 minutes ago, thejay said:

What do you even mean with this? That people have high expectations because it's the "only one" or that it's the best because it's the "only one"?

The match engine has no point. It doesn't matter if you lose or win 9-0. The match engine produce boring plays. It's using the 3 same assets no matter what tactic and team comp you are using.

Meanwhile, even with 20% possession, IA will display a way more attractive football than what you can.

FM20 so far, from long crosses to a player will dribble the entire team. In the last 5 meters, nothing matter, the player will try to strike, even from cornerline, heck, even from corner post.
1v1 aren't winnable, every goals are on the second strike if deflected or from incredible longshots.
There is way, way, way too many strikes hitting posts. There is way too many offside bugs. When a player try to save if from going out, it's always a turnover, the player and his mates will just brain freeze from the ball waiting for opposition to pick it up.

I never seen a "simulation" been so close to reality and yet so far from arcade. Just plain boredom.

If I had to describe fm20 so far I'd say "grey". 

1 minute ago, fm20isascam said:

The match engine has no point. It doesn't matter if you lose or win 9-0. The match engine produce boring plays. It's using the 3 same assets no matter what tactic and team comp you are using.

Meanwhile, even with 20% possession, IA will display a way more attractive football than what you can.

FM20 so far, from long crosses to a player will dribble the entire team. In the last 5 meters, nothing matter, the player will try to strike, even from cornerline, heck, even from corner post.
1v1 aren't winnable, every goals are on the second strike if deflected or from incredible longshots.
There is way, way, way too many strikes hitting posts. There is way too many offside bugs. When a player try to save if from going out, it's always a turnover, the player and his mates will just brain freeze from the ball waiting for opposition to pick it up.

I never seen a "simulation" been so close to reality and yet so far from arcade. Just plain boredom.

If I had to describe fm20 so far I'd say "grey"

I thought "scam" was your preferred term?

vor 12 Minuten schrieb Dagenham_Dave:

There's a plethora of football management games out there. None of them are any good, however. The closest to this one is probably Soccer Manager (in that it has real players, all the leagues, and a 2D match engine), which is still miles away from FM. And absolutely chock full of microtransactions. 

None of this is SI's fault, of course. 

Soccer manager isn't really comparable in scope, it's a free mobile like game. 

No one says its Si s fault 

5 hours ago, Amarante said:

I really am laughing my ass off at all those FM17 videos people posting the goals but yet they are ignoring the **** poor defending  that led to those goals. FM17 was unrealstic. I played a tactic that if i tried that now in 19/20 i would be roasted and yes i did try it and found out i was roasted. 17 had good attacking play because the defending was awful.  18 had a good balance between both, in 19 defending became a thing, like real proper defending not stone statues that don't do anything. 

In 20 i believe we're almost their super close to that point where defending is a thing and attacking is working right.

can you show the poor defending in those goals? i really can't see it.

26 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

International Football manager on the ZX Spectrum was amazing.

I somehow missed both Football Manager and International Football Manager on the Spectrum. Football management games I remember playing back all those years ago are:

Football Director, good but I seem to remember it crashed whenever you hit space or break.

A combination board game and computer game. I can't remember what it was called, but looking online it could be Brian Clough's Football Fortunes.

Tracksuit Manager but I don't remember much about it

The Double. I loved this game and wrote to the company that made it with a load of suggestions for the sequel if there was one. They never replied and I don't think there was ever a sequel.

I also remember playing Premier Manager, but looking online it was never released on the spectrum, so this must have been later on on a different computer.

Plus a load of little rubbish ones which I don't remember.

2 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

99.9% of users who aren't on the forum are having a blast, oblivious to any perceived match engine issues. 

A few here who suffer from paralysis by analysis who will never enjoy the game, and seek to hear themselves heard above all others on the forum. 

There are even people who haven't bought and played FM20 complaining about it! 

The game gives us the analysis, it should be taken away then if people aren't allowed to use it, may as well go back to text only matches  

I'm not crying either, I'm raising issues & submitting them with PKMS

I'm genuinely happy people are enjoying the game, I am, I just think it could be better balanced is all  

11 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

I'm sending this in, I don't even have to say where James sent this ball

Untitled.thumb.png.2736cd33af0b5a98a2973e3f9e6ea392.png

I do have a gem of a through ball to upload from him for the goal though :brock:

Assume you're going to say he played it out wide? Wouldn't bother me that, seeing as how your 2 strikers are both offside, a pass out wide isn't that bad a decision

42 minutes ago, Bromley Raven said:

I somehow missed both Football Manager and International Football Manager on the Spectrum. Football management games I remember playing back all those years ago are:

Football Director, good but I seem to remember it crashed whenever you hit space or break.

A combination board game and computer game. I can't remember what it was called, but looking online it could be Brian Clough's Football Fortunes.

Tracksuit Manager but I don't remember much about it

The Double. I loved this game and wrote to the company that made it with a load of suggestions for the sequel if there was one. They never replied and I don't think there was ever a sequel.

I also remember playing Premier Manager, but looking online it was never released on the spectrum, so this must have been later on on a different computer.

Plus a load of little rubbish ones which I don't remember.

There was 1, can't remember which system, possibly Amiga, anyway you could make and take bribes, it was mint, but you'd get caught and banned or something, can't remember, just remember being able to take bribes.

17 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

Let us know - does it operate as you expect? :)

After some hours I think it is connected to the progression of player's position learning. For example, he was awkward then his knowing of position raised and the training would reset. But if a player knows position a good amount already (light green) it wont reset even if you play him somewhere else. The problem is consistent through several saves.

26 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

One is, he still played the ball forward 

The game would probably say both are, see my recent game

45871063_BordeauxvParisSG_Pitch.thumb.png.71f9259a263159debfa8c2f63eef47f4.png

Not sure if they are classing Neymar or Cavani offside, but they both are, and my bet is both your strikers are moving forward when James plays it, and then being offside, I doubt they're both stood still in that screen shot you posted

11 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

Assume you're going to say he played it out wide? Wouldn't bother me that, seeing as how your 2 strikers are both offside, a pass out wide isn't that bad a decision

They probably both are, but from that point why would he favour passing wide? That was his AI instinct. From his view he probably doesn't know they're offside. I'm not sure who their number 2 is but I'm sure James has pace over him, take him on, try & run past him. Further play on a few yards, see if it works out better for him  

It's been passed to SI anyway, it's for them to have a look & see what they think, they're the only ones that can see what's going on  

2 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

They probably both are, but from that point why would he favour passing wide? That was his AI instinct. From his view he probably doesn't know they're offside. I'm not sure who their number 2 is but I'm sure James has pace over him, take him on, try & run past him. Further play on a few yards, see if it works out better for him  

It's been passed to SI anyway, it's for them to have a look & see what they think, they're the only ones that can see what's going on  

Appreciated, thought you were saying why play it out wide when there were 2 players in front, for me though I'm yet to experience any over use of wide play.

13 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

I'd say he made the right decision playing it wide because, as been stated, it looks like both forwards are in an offside position. He can't know that for sure, but he can judge them to be and then make the decision to play it wide instead. I'd call this good decision making, but who am I? :p 

Hi All

Does anyone know if the Club Vision issue is now fixed, only asking as due to the apparent vastly improved match engine, I am considering starting my long term career.

Obviously the club vision issue that has been mentioned, if not fixed yet, may impact any long term game?

Just not sure whether to start or wait until Tuesday?

Many thanks

2 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

99.9% of users who aren't on the forum are having a blast, oblivious to any perceived match engine issues. 

A few here who suffer from paralysis by analysis who will never enjoy the game, and seek to hear themselves heard above all others on the forum. 

There are even people who haven't bought and played FM20 complaining about it! 

If you are fine with the game, good for you and enjoy it. 

Why put other people down who provide feedback on the match engine?