Football Manager 2020 Pre-Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

Match engine feedback! Having played 8 games now with a 4-3-3 formation customised from gegenpress. 

Like some people have mentioned there are too many long cross field balls all over the place being pinged about. Between the two full backs or wingers. 

90% of my chances seem to be created by spraying it wide to the wing back in space, or long shots from the CMs. 

The AML and AMR are playing too narrow mostly, which i can understands in the IF role but I also tried just winger & IW. 

Also feel like my striker is just not getting involved enough as well. 

Is anyone else experiencing the same or could it be the tactic? 

Btw I am playing with Middlesbrough so in the championship. 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing about the Development centre I'm not keen on is the 'Loans' section. It's a great idea in principle, but the suggested loans section is too far down the page with no function to drag it further up. A small annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless. 

vor 3 Minuten schrieb oulzac:

Why was the option to not be forced into visiting the social feed removed? This is unacceptable.

Just set the feed to news only. And it's only one click to pass it. 

Some match feedback from my save thus far:

- The biggest one for me are that players seem so scared to cross the ball early. They hang onto it forever before invariably squaring it back towards to edge of the box. I think this is a large contributing factor for why people (and myself) are seeing such a huge number of long shots thus far. If the ball isn't crossed quickly enough it gives the opposition time to get behind the ball, so the only option available is to pass backwards, square it across and hope that the player hitting it from 22-25 yards hits a blinder. As far as i've been able to see, this doesn't seem to really change much when i tweak tempo/crossing/roles/passing style, players just have stage-fright when it comes to crossing. 

- Long shots were mentioned above, but another issue is that players on my save have been hitting long shots from crazy positions constantly. Hitting them from 35 yards from a tight angle, ignoring open players in the box to punt it, taking first time weak foot efforts...etc. 

- Players are reluctant to chest the ball, or simply move backwards a bit to control with their feet. They often head it into open space or straight to an attacker because of this. I find it's more pronounced when a long ball is played to the opposition fullback, who often just nods it down to the attacker while he had a good 10 yards of space either side of him to take it down. 

- Players running through on goal seem to take the shot sooner than they need to, often shooting from outside the box instead of taking it into the box if there's the slightest pressure from a defender behind them. 

- Defenders seem to keep the ball for longer than they should, and end up getting tackled by strikers too often. Although this could be a symptom of playing out from the back, i think the time they take on the ball while facing their own goal is a bit too long, and happens too often. 

- Fullbacks are too keen to automatically smash it up-field when they regain possession. 

- The number of total shots seems overtuned, with my last game having 50 between us, but this is a relatively small sample size so it might just be an anomaly. 

- Crossfield balls are pinpoint. So pinpoint that they always hit their man at pace. 

- Wingers rarely seem to take the ball on the run, for example from cross-field passes. They're so accurate that the winger should be able to rush onto it and into space, but they always seem to delay and allow the defender time to get back and cover. 

Some positives: Some of the passing in midfield is really nice, AMC seems like it may be improved from last year, i think i've seen an uptick in the number of players rounding the goalie which is nice to see, and lone strikers seem to press better.

One weird thing i keep seeing that isn't a match engine thing is that everyone seems to think Leicester are a tiny club and will get relegated. Players reject me constantly and i'm, always answering relegation questions or seeing "tweets" to that effect, it's a bit odd. 

10 minutes ago, KUBI said:

Just set the feed to news only. And it's only one click to pass it. 

You're missing the point of that option from FM19. There is an extra processing stop because of this being there. With it turned off in FM19 you didn't have that unnecessary stop just to show you that screen. Even if you do what you say in FM20, that processing stop still happens. Which, lets be honest, there are far far too many breaks in the weekly processing to begin with. This is just a byproduct of that problem really.

I am experiencing some lagging in the 3D engine. My computer is quite good and is running every game at decent graphics. This was a problem at FM19 as well, but there were some configurations that made it better. Anyone experiencing the same? 

• SI Staff
13 minutes ago, Bradley21 said:

One weird thing i keep seeing that isn't a match engine thing is that everyone seems to think Leicester are a tiny club and will get relegated. Players reject me constantly and i'm, always answering relegation questions or seeing "tweets" to that effect, it's a bit odd. 

Would be worth gathering examples of these instances and posting them in our bugs area please :thup:

First impressions from my first competitive match. I demolished Nottingham Forest 7-2 in what was a rather strange affair. I thought I was watching tennis, owed to the fact that the ball was just being repeatedly smashed from flank to flank. These passes are like laser guided missiles, hit with both power and accuracy that no other kind of pass appears to be able to match. The pass map below illustrates this (crosses included):

image.thumb.png.e633cbdd8e77a0488e8867765a094e53.png

The ball spent a huge amount of time on the flanks, which were the only areas of the pitch that it was possible to actually transition the ball into the box. There was a severe lack of central penetration / forward passes; however, this could be tactical. The system I used is below:

image.thumb.png.00ac61a7965e828413f66e9f9e24cca2.png

Another observation was that the hard-coded 'Moves into Channels' PI is still dragging strikers out far too wide, frequently leaving the box empty. In lone striker systems, like last year, this results in play going from side to side until a CM cracks off a long shot into the top corner. It's only one game, so I'll try out the poacher next to compare their positioning and movement.

2 hours ago, thejay said:

I think it's because people get emotional and therfore voice their criticism emotionally, this does not mean its spam or should be a bannabel offense.

Sometimes yes, we understand this which is why - unless it's particularly abusive - we tend to go in with warnings first.  People who ignore repeated warnings however do so at their own risk.

But we're getting away from your original point of wanting to post negative feedback about the game, which you are free to do.  Nobody's going to ban you if all you want to do is highlight some areas of the game you don't like and say why you don't enjoy them.

vor einer Stunde schrieb karanhsingh:

Match engine feedback! Having played 8 games now with a 4-3-3 formation customised from gegenpress. 

Like some people have mentioned there are too many long cross field balls all over the place being pinged about. Between the two full backs or wingers. 

90% of my chances seem to be created by spraying it wide to the wing back in space, or long shots from the CMs. 

The AML and AMR are playing too narrow mostly, which i can understands in the IF role but I also tried just winger & IW. 

Also feel like my striker is just not getting involved enough as well. 

Is anyone else experiencing the same or could it be the tactic? 

Btw I am playing with Middlesbrough so in the championship. 

It's exactly the same for me. 

Also players dont seem to run with the ball it all and rather opt for the 50m cross court pass even though there is space to move onto or players to pass to. 

This is despite short pass instructions and balanced mentality 

Players with in the aml/r positions being to narrow is an old issue which has been present in fm for years 

Edited by thejay

More good news which i'm amazingly grateful for: Most, if not all African and North American leagues have now been added to the database unactivated. Which means no more ID clashing and reputation guessing for the most part when the full game's out. Thank you so much guys, that's gonna be awesome :D

EDIT: Mayotte, Wallis & Futuna, the Comoros and Saint Pierre & Miquelon are the only ones still missing, very, very impressive. I only have to make one of them and it's the sole indipendent country! I love this.

Edited by Minuy600

36 minutes ago, thomas_e said:

I am experiencing some lagging in the 3D engine. My computer is quite good and is running every game at decent graphics. This was a problem at FM19 as well, but there were some configurations that made it better. Anyone experiencing the same? 

Yeah, same problem for me, too. 

Have a quite decent computer which can run other games on high, even on FM in the preferences menu my default recommended settings for match graphics is on high. But, as soon as I enter the match in 3D everythings slows down and becomes laggy meanwhile the interface speed is just fine. My drivers are all updated so I just can't understand what it is? 

2 minutes ago, nikolaMo said:

Yeah, same problem for me, too. 

Have a quite decent computer which can run other games on high, even on FM in the preferences menu my default recommended settings for match graphics is on high. But, as soon as I enter the match in 3D everythings slows down and becomes laggy meanwhile the interface speed is just fine. My drivers are all updated so I just can't understand what it is? 

Exact same situation. Everything runs fine until the 3D match, and I also have "high" as standard. Very frustrating! 

34 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

12 games in I can say that first-time volleys from 20-25m have better conversion rate than absolute sitters.

Didn't score or concede a single goal from corners.

As per usual, strikers just make terrible decisions in front of goal.

Do they have better conversion rates? Or does it just look like they do because the game shows you missed one-on-ones, but not random 25m pot shots? I do think they're too strong right now but it's a tough comparison to make, especially if you're playing on Key or Extended highlights.

• SI Staff
2 minutes ago, bassistuk said:

staff tool tip headers not aligned when using different zoom scaling on 4K resolution. It seems they are not locked when scaling. they are also scalable which shouldn't be the case.

thanks

Untitled12.png

Notice you're using a facepack, any other other stuff such as custom skins?

Could you post in here please - https://community.sigames.com/forum/711-user-interface/ :thup:

7 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

Notice you're using a facepack, any other other stuff such as custom skins?

Could you post in here please - https://community.sigames.com/forum/711-user-interface/ :thup:

also i'd already posted there and your collegue said to post one here too. also he said it was a "design choice" but im not sure it is unless he didn't know what i was on about lol

Edited by bassistuk

Is it just my system or the Match Engine is automatically capped at 30fps? No matter the quality I select ( haven't tried ultra high though ), resolution at 1920x1080.

My system is definitely not top of the class, being a 2500U with Vega and 8GB RAM, but I think it's more of an automatic capping, which is totally fine by me :-D , just wondering though

• SI Staff
2 minutes ago, bassistuk said:

also i'd already posted there and your collegue said to post one here too. also he said it was a "design choice" but im not sure it is unless he didn't know what i was on about lol

Have passed it on, cheers.

• SI Staff
4 minutes ago, bassistuk said:

same thing happens for official faces. Arsenal in this case.

Untitledfdsf.png

Just a note - only the Arsenal version has the "official" Arsenal faces, the above is not included in the standard game.

Just now, Seb Wassell said:

Have passed it on, cheers.

cheers. also one more thing is that theundo and revert buttons dont work in staff responsibility pages. so whatever you choice you cant undo or revert which sucks. I had to start a new save because i couldnt remmber the choices i made.

My impressions so far from the ME :

+ GK animations looks very good

+ Midfielders seems like more intelligence with their pass choices

- GK are a bit OP

- Too many successful  long balls from the back to the strikers, especially on counter attacks , really annoying  

- Defenders including the wing backs just make stupid passes and losses the ball too easy

- Counter attacks are just too OP

- Even with IF/IW on support , they never come down and close down the opposition wing back

I think this ME have a lot of potential but i hope SI will fix those issues  

2 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

Just a note - only the Arsenal version has the "official" Arsenal faces, the above is not included in the standard game.

its the same all board. official or unofficial. thanks

Untitleddsad.png

Edited by bassistuk

6 minutes ago, wiper05 said:

Is it just my system or the Match Engine is automatically capped at 30fps? No matter the quality I select ( haven't tried ultra high though ), resolution at 1920x1080.

My system is definitely not top of the class, being a 2500U with Vega and 8GB RAM, but I think it's more of an automatic capping, which is totally fine by me :-D , just wondering though

Apologies, it was one of my video card settings. Not used to Radeon yet :-D

• SI Staff
4 minutes ago, bassistuk said:

cheers. also one more thing is that theundo and revert buttons dont work in staff responsibility pages. so whatever you choice you cant undo or revert which sucks. I had to start a new save because i couldnt remmber the choices i made.

Have you also reported this one?

Don't know if this would be deemed a 'bug', or if it is intentional:

When looking at potential loan players, literally every single player requires a 100% wage contribution. I'm not sure if that is realistic or not, but it certainly hasn't been the case in other editions.

Playing as Dulwich Hamlet, and playing FMT if that is significant

vor 8 Minuten schrieb turgi:

Another question, how do I extend a contract?

It is restricted by the board, so it's not possible. Only with the in-game editor, when the game is released.

1 hour ago, Spurs08 said:

Do they have better conversion rates? Or does it just look like they do because the game shows you missed one-on-ones, but not random 25m pot shots? I do think they're too strong right now but it's a tough comparison to make, especially if you're playing on Key or Extended highlights.

I think the term "sitter" should be banned from all football Management related vocabulary (and actually, from the game). :D I've tested this Prior on FM19 btw and a couple other Releases. I set up sides in a way that they couldn't really defend -- all it takes is to be a bit "creative" with the individual man marking instructions… Decision making as such is another can of worms. Still, usually, the conversion of such Scenarios then was About 50/50ish, oft a slight cut above. That's basically roughly a coin toss, which would also fit in with Football Analytics (and studies on finishing) arguing for years now that the Forward rarely should be favored to actually score. 

1 hour ago, Zemahh said:

Can someone post a screenshot of their analyst figuring out the opposition's roles mid-match?

Wondering how exactly it looks and what screen is it on. Loving the sound of it!

Yes, they do, I noticed that yesterday 

Untitled.thumb.png.17a2bcbcc42b72bb6bf81bb67ca9d66d.png

Edited by Johnny Ace

Really enjoying the beta but seems like this hasn't been fixed at all, used to get it few times a season in FM19 and looks like same again this year. 

A session of training is taken up with the players travelling a day before a home game. Not a big deal but pretty annoying. 

20191102002551_1.jpg

vor 17 Minuten schrieb Whatawaster95:

Really enjoying the beta but seems like this hasn't been fixed at all, used to get it few times a season in FM19 and looks like same again this year. 

A session of training is taken up with the players travelling a day before a home game. Not a big deal but pretty annoying. 

Please post this in the bugs forum.

For the first time ever I'm giving this year a miss. I've had a go of the Beta on my cousin's computer, and I was less interested in the "big changes" - not of which are especially interesting to me - and more on the small stuff, the "quality of life" stuff, the wee things that make a game better. And there are none of them in the areas I had most hoped for.

Small stuff. 

The crowds are still absolutely appalling, homogenous, horrible. If you play in your home shirt then home strips are pretty much all you get, with a smattering of about six different generic outfits thrown in. Play in the away shirt in a match and there are no home shirts in your traveling support. Just plain awful.

Teams are still using away strips when they don't need to. And you used to be able to tweak things and edit this out ... you can't do that anymore. We get no option on this at all, and it was one of those things I saw people asking for all summer long. The first screen-shot is of the shirts used in the Scottish Cup semi-final. 

The second is a long shot of the two sets of supporters ... oh how totally tragic that looks, with the Rangers fans decked out in red, and the Celtic fans in homogonous green and white. 

You'd think by this point they'd have flags and scarves in the crowd, but nope. 

Not in a million years would either of those clubs wear an away kit in one of those games, and I've seen Celtic be the team in the away kit on countless occasions in the last iteration ... it's a deal-breaker for me, a simple issue that could and should be easy to solve but which the makers place no store in at all. 

The manager's achievements screen is still what it was always was; a mess of stats. How hard would it have been to create a "trophy cabinet" using the same graphics you get when you visit a club screen? 

It used to be on the 3D pitch that some players had their shirts tucked out and others tucked in, you got muddy as the game went on etc ... the early iterations of the match engine were much more representative of what happens in a game. We lost all those wee touches a few years ago. Some have crept back in, but most still haven't. The players are a dour looking bunch out there, with only the occasional short/long sleeve and a multicoloured boot to distinguish them. No personality really.

And the match engine jerkiness glitch persists ... every goddamned year now we have to go through this nonsense of rejigging our settings to play this game when the graphics engines of Warhammer II are flawelss.

Most of us play this game for the matches; all the erroneous stuff just adds endless complexity to the game ... the match engine has allegedly improved ... it certainly gets tweaked every year which gives players a different set of problems every time .. .but a bunch of frustarting, immersion breaking, issues remain untouched, 

I'm not paying nearly £40 for an updated database and all the main issues myself and others had with last season's game. 

I should have made the decision based on the jerky 3D engine issue alone ... it's just unforgivable that this issue has persisted for more than three years and isn't fixed yet.  

dealbreaker.JPG

genericshite.JPG

Edited by LaytonBhoy

Few games in. These are some problems with ME I’ve noticed :-

- Loads Of shots. Had multiple games where I’ve had over 30

-Long balls from deep. Setup to play short passing but too often long diagonal passes are played in behind opposition defence 

-Fullbacks coming narrower the higher up the pitch they go. I’ve noticed that on the half way line they’ll hug the touchline but as soon as they get possession or move up the pitch they start to get narrower (all instructions tell players to stay/go wide. 

-Cross from byline doesn’t work.

- Lack of striker movement. Another year where strikers are marking centre backs

- Playing with an AMC is basically playing with 10 men. CMs go wide to full backs 99% of the time. 

A.i accurate long balls, one v one situation three times a game... deep defensively line can’t even stop it. 

I genuinely can’t even be bothered for games this year.

Fifa is the exact same but with pace abuse.

Pes, dribbling and long shots are next to broken.

FM, still seeing long balls where your defence doesn’t go towards it but the a.i striker from 20 yards gets their, same bug as the one from 10 years ago.

I can’t be bothered to waste my time this year.

This is my first fm since 16, so I am slowly getting the hang of it .  One question, can anyone else not customize their shortcuts?? I cant seem to get it working in preferences. I 'd like to define a button for screenshots f.e. I only find it the custom shortcuts option if I search the term shortucuts specifically , but the bracket isn't responding...  Is this a bug or am I missing something.

so to simplify, do shortcuts show up in preferences and did anyone try define the new button?

edit; i see it has been raised before now, i will try the solution suggested in this link

Edited by The Threadstarter