Sports Interactive Community
Freddie Sands

[U.S.A.] (Official) League Specific Issues

Is there a way to view the superdraft order ahead of the time?

A few things I noticed that should ultimately help squad building:

1. Teams swapping draft picks and GAM way too often. It’s common to see teams in the future years of a save have either no draft picks are a bunch of draft picks. I can only imagine how much GAM some teams have. It’s either a ton or very little because it doesn’t seem like the AI uses it to buy down contracts. Maybe it’s a ton available hence the overly swapping of it in trades.

2. Too many Academy players being brought up to the first team. It’s to a point where the AI will sign a player that is not even good enough and will end up getting waived in February. The players that make the cut either get waived the following year or their contract doesn’t get renewed when it’s up. In reality, academy players that are being signed in real life are the ages of 15-16 and have first team potential. In FM, it’s a bunch of random 18 year olds. MLS teams will rarely sign an 18 year old these days. They will let them go play in college and sign them after a few years or when they graduate. In FM, teams are loosing these players before they hit 20 years old.

the development structure is broken in the MLS. The group of 18 year olds do not play unless they are blessed to be on a team that have a B squad and even those guys do not play in real games. No wonder why teams fail to have a squad of over 18 players. There is not much talent to go around because no one is developing...

Started a new career as Inter Miami on Jan 2019, giving me plenty of time to build a roster etc, but it seems the reputation is very low, im being turned down for smaller contract offers from Montreal (no offence Impact fans). Struggling to sign DPs and there is no TAM/GAM useable, despite trading slots/draft picks for them. Surely as an incoming side the reputation should be high now, despite not entering the league for a season?

Posted (edited)

image.thumb.png.7e6cba6020580aa492091f8e7275e8b7.pngThis is a bug, I currently have 'three' offers for the same player. First as accepted, but the usual contract option wouldnt go to the next screen and had to holiday to continue. Second bid was rejected, third I have just put in

Edited by PhilJay

Example of the AI trading draft picks way too often for GAM (which isn't even used it seems)

One of the worse teams in the league doesn't have a draft pick in the next 2 years...

873674560_ScreenShot2020-01-06at5_21_13AM.thumb.png.7b156912169168bad68cb86577ae7aa0.png

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 15:12, ubeep said:

So here's the screen. This is with the selection "cleared". All the protected players here are homegrown so shouldn't count but seemingly do as I can only select 2 more players and whatever I do it tells me I need a minimum of 5 international players. There is the note on screen that if you cannot meet the minimum criteria you need to leave spaces but if I try and just continue with the empty slots that is also rejected basically I am stuck here with no way to progress the game!!

Football Manager 2020 31_12_2019 15_08_40.png

We've got a load of changes to the protection draft being tested which should help with some of these issues. 

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 19:29, PhilJay said:

image.thumb.png.7e6cba6020580aa492091f8e7275e8b7.pngThis is a bug, I currently have 'three' offers for the same player. First as accepted, but the usual contract option wouldnt go to the next screen and had to holiday to continue. Second bid was rejected, third I have just put in

Do you have a save game roughly before you had the first offer accepted? Thanks. 

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 02:18, Mars_Blackmon said:

Speaking of trading...

Should this be happening?

373030304_ScreenShot2020-01-05at9_14_39PM.thumb.png.86cc3b08e96ee4fc08cfc937e0279d7a.png

NYCFC literally gave FC Dallas a starter and a international slot for free. 

That certainly shouldn't be happening. Do you have a save from before the trade was initiated? Cheers. 

4 minutes ago, Christopher Lewis said:

That certainly shouldn't be happening. Do you have a save from before the trade was initiated? Cheers. 

No but its pretty common. I am even receiving offers from teams with out any compensation in return. Next time it happens I'll upload the save before the trade is initiated.

Just now, Mars_Blackmon said:

No but its pretty common. I am even receiving offers from teams with out any compensation in return. Next time it happens I'll upload the same the day before.

Cheers. 

3 hours ago, Christopher Lewis said:

Do you have a save game roughly before you had the first offer accepted? Thanks. 

No but I will try and replicate it, seems to happen when I bid on a Lower League player on loan from MLS. How much GAM should Inter Miami be starting with? Surely as a expansion side they should have more than £3m? Are the other issues being looked into too bud?

Jumping around different teams to check GAM/TAM in the future years and teams are hoarding as much as $10 million in GAM. Does GAM not reset yearly?

On 27/11/2019 at 12:32, Freddie Sands said:

Hi, this is primarily due to a known issue with clubs that have B clubs specifically (as is the case with the 4 teams listed above) where they can't seem to prioritise shifting players from the B club to the senior squad when needed. This is something we are investigating and attempting to fix but the first attempts have been unsuccessful as there's no clear cause in the code (so I am told by the coder for MLS) I'm afraid.

Those B team players that are ineligble should probably be treated like players that are loaned out to a club but can be called back at anytime. Therefore those teams should be buying more first team players to get it's roster closer to 28 men without counting those B team players. AI should also b making unselected match day players available to play for B team.

As the game works now, the first team & B team is sharing a small roster resulting in MLS teams only registering 16-18 players assuming no-one is injured (if so, grey players are used)

MLS Clubs without B teams should look to carry around 28-30 players instead of 22-24. Half of those players are coming from HG's.

So basically MLS teams need to buy more players.

On 10/01/2020 at 02:54, Mars_Blackmon said:

Jumping around different teams to check GAM/TAM in the future years and teams are hoarding as much as $10 million in GAM. Does GAM not reset yearly?

No, if i remember they have a period to spend it, circa 3 years. New teams get a hoard in the first year to build the roster etc.

5 hours ago, PhilJay said:

No, if i remember they have a period to spend it, circa 3 years. New teams get a hoard in the first year to build the roster etc.

I believe it’s 3 transfer windows. So a year in a half if I’m not mistaken. I believe this is replicated in the game but not sure if it’s working correctly. I know after the first year every team gets $3mil so i wonder if that’s a yearly amount.

You might be right on the 3 windows, but I know the amounts are varied depending on finishing position, net transfers, buying 3rd DP spot (unless YDP), and also clubs can invest a limited amount into GAM,

On 14/01/2020 at 05:01, PhilJay said:

You might be right on the 3 windows, but I know the amounts are varied depending on finishing position, net transfers, buying 3rd DP spot (unless YDP), and also clubs can invest a limited amount into GAM,

Teams are able to add to TAM and not GAM if I’m not mistaken.

I’ll pay close attention to it. Maybe I caught some teams at the wrong time as it didn’t reset. Teams might get 3 mil a year after the first year so million could accumulate if it didn’t reset yet.

Looking at AI teams contracts on their registration, it doesn’t seem like they buy down salary cap hits. The lack of roster spots (even for teams without B squads) could also suggest that the AI aren’t using any for transfers. They seem to love trading GAM for draft picks though...

Has anyone had issues with offering DP contracts after the first season?  After the 2019 season, I haven't been able to offer a DP contract.  I did have the available DP spots and budget to make the offer.  

It appears some other players have experienced this issue as well.  

On 12/01/2020 at 15:49, Mars_Blackmon said:

I believe it’s 3 transfer windows. So a year in a half if I’m not mistaken. I believe this is replicated in the game but not sure if it’s working correctly. I know after the first year every team gets $3mil so i wonder if that’s a yearly amount.

This is correct, part of the issue we've had (and this is something under review internally) is that as far as we understand it is three transfer windows after being acquired - meaning that trading it around just resets the timer seemingly. Combining that with the boosted GAM to cover for the lack of Discretionary TAM in game and the inflated hoarding of GAM occurs later on in a save game. We do currently have the issue under review to get GAM spending on players more widely used, though so far code changes to resolve that have had limited success.

On 22/01/2020 at 14:40, JZigg5 said:

Has anyone had issues with offering DP contracts after the first season?  After the 2019 season, I haven't been able to offer a DP contract.  I did have the available DP spots and budget to make the offer.  

It appears some other players have experienced this issue as well.  

It might be related to the players being scouted, players have to meet a certain ability or reputation threshold in order to be allowed Designated contracts by the board.

So I was messing around with this a bit by jumping into a team a couple years down the road. I think the GAM issue is really related to how transfers are implemented. I brought in two players as a test because the game said I had a transfer budget of 1.5 million. After bringing in those two players my transfer budget was at 400k, each players cap hit was their salary, and I hadn't touched any allocation money. That isn't how things work in MLS though. Transfer fees are either paid for by using GAM or TAM (depending on what the team decides and the threshold of the cap hit) or they are included in the salary budget charge (I'm going to say cap hit mostly because that is what we typically call it when talking about it online). For example, a team buys a player for a million dollars and puts him on a 200k a year salary for 4 years. The team can either spend 1 million in GAM and keep his cap hit at 200k or spread that out over the 4 years (250k a year) and add that to the salary to get a higher cap hit (450k a year in this case). Higher transfer fees or salaried players usually stray into the TAM area since they are over the max budget charge. So a player like Frankowski in Chicago has a salary of 662k a year and was bought for 1.5 million (reportedly). His effective cap hit is something like $1,037,000 (transfer fee divided by 4 years added to his yearly salary). Compare that to Mauricio Pereyra in Orlando. He is on a salary of $1,078,000 but came on a free transfer. So they both have the same effective cap hit and would required the same amount of TAM (roughly 500k) to be used to not qualify as a DP. However, the best I can tell only Pereyra would require that amount in game because transfer fees are coming from somewhere else entirely.

The transfer fees that show up on the finance page, to me, should only be what the board is willing to pay for a DP and not for anyone else. I think the payroll thing might be wrong too but I'd need to dig deeper. As it is now the allocation money system is broken because teams only use it for trades and for buying down cap hits (though I feel like they probably don't do this correctly either) and not for transfer fees. This has the knock on effect of teams not really buying players that they could in reality. Of course I'm not sure the game can even be coded to account for the craziness and unpredictability of MLS transfers. Considering I've watched the league since '96 and I couldn't predict some of the moves teams have made in the last two years I can't expect a game to.

So I've got to figure someone has figured this out already, at least the devs, but Inter Miami not having its academy affiliated to it is a result of both Inter Miami and Inter Miami Academy starting in "Lower Leagues" effectively canceling the affiliation when the game starts.

I moved the Academy into one of the development leagues with the editor and it showed up with its affiliation when starting a new game. So if you want to fix that that is how.

Apologies if these have been posted already, but as someone who has been playing MLS since CM01/02, here are some things I've noticed that are spoiling my save this year:

1. Manager turnover is way too high. Managers are generally lasting just over a year on average. I'm one of the longest serving on 2.5 years!
  2. Adding a B team doesn't work properly. Playing as New England, I've added one (Just like real life) and they just sit there; no staff, no fixtures. Moving B team players to the main squad seems broken as it is impossible to register them unless it's on the roster submission date at the start of the season - any other time causes the player to be waived.
  3. All of a sudden (especially in latest version 20.2.4) clubs from UAE want to sign my players and tend to do this with 2 bids for separate players in quick succession.