Sports Interactive Community
Freddie Sands

[U.S.A.] (Official) League Specific Issues

Been playing MLS saves every year for almost a decade now. I have a firm grasp on the salary rules. 

BUG:

* I sign a player to a new contract mid-season. I rightly get notified that the new contract takes my squad over the salary cap, but I'm told that I have General Allocation funds available to buy down the contract to fit the contract in. I'm given two options: "Confirm Allocation Usage" (or something to that effect) and "Withdrawl". 

Expected outcome: 

* That the new contract is automatically bought down and my squad registration now conforms to salary cap.

Actual outcome:

* Every single time, the game acts as if I had hit "Withdraw". New text appears in the same News Feed item saying "[Team Name] have decided not to take any action and [Player Name] contract renewal will therefore be cancelled as not enough salary cap room is available to accommodate him."

POTENTIAL FIX

* Have the game act as expected and automatically buy down the new contract

* Give the manager the option to manually do a new Squad Registration, letting me buy down contracts on my own instead of cancelling the new contract all together.

p.png?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

2 minutes ago, crowntownguy said:

Been playing MLS saves every year for almost a decade now. I have a firm grasp on the salary rules. 

BUG:

* I sign a player to a new contract mid-season. I rightly get notified that the new contract takes my squad over the salary cap, but I'm told that I have General Allocation funds available to buy down the contract to fit the contract in. I'm given two options: "Confirm Allocation Usage" (or something to that effect) and "Withdrawl". 

Expected outcome: 

* That the new contract is automatically bought down and my squad registration now conforms to salary cap.

Actual outcome:

* Every single time, the game acts as if I had hit "Withdraw". New text appears in the same News Feed item saying "[Team Name] have decided not to take any action and [Player Name] contract renewal will therefore be cancelled as not enough salary cap room is available to accommodate him."

POTENTIAL FIX

* Have the game act as expected and automatically buy down the new contract

* Give the manager the option to manually do a new Squad Registration, letting me buy down contracts on my own instead of cancelling the new contract all together.

p.png?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

Just hit my first mid season new signing and same issue. I renewed a contract on a kid in my youth team to pay him more and extend a few years. I thought it covered the cap hit (have 850k in GAM), hit next and the contract offer was canceled. Thankfully I was able to just offer him another contract and have it start at the end of the season.

5 minutes ago, holtb80 said:

Just hit my first mid season new signing and same issue. I renewed a contract on a kid in my youth team to pay him more and extend a few years. I thought it covered the cap hit (have 850k in GAM), hit next and the contract offer was canceled. Thankfully I was able to just offer him another contract and have it start at the end of the season.

This has been my solution too - luckily it doesn't negatively impact the players morale, but hope it gets addressed! 

Why does the MLS all star game only give you a starting XI and 7 subs? It's a meaningless midseason friendly and should allow for 2 full squads to avoid wasted minutes on teams key players....

On 01/11/2019 at 01:37, Longhorn said:

I can't say these are bugs per se, but

*) it is awkward to access the "B" team.  The only way I see that allows full access is to go through the route of accessing the parent club's affiliates.  In real life at least some teams frequently shuttle players between squads and so better visibility would be very helpful in this game.  Why not include a link to the B team just like there is a link to the academy team from the parent club's home page?

*) I did not see any schedule, simulated or otherwise, for the B team, other than a couple of exhibitions.  This would seem to greatly detract from the developmental nature of the B teams.  I ran the game for about half of the season and then checked the B team players and it was not obvious that they were developing much, if at all.  In real life the MLS B teams often include teenagers that are too good to stay in the academy but not ready for full time first team rosters, as well as some kids drafted from college teams that need professional experience.  In FM 2019 I notice that leaving a kid in the academy until he reaches age 18 can be expected to yield a fairly predictable improvement in his CA.  Surely a kid of similar age to academy kids but playing in a professional league on the B team should get at least as much growth.

The B Teams are now accessible from either the sidebar or the Development Centre area across the game depending on what staff responsibilities are set. So if the user is running B Team training sessions they will appear on the sidebar, else they can be accessed by Dev. Centre > [B Team].

As the MLS B Teams are in an inactive league they will not have any generated fixtures and the career stats for player's individual matches will be generated - that said the number of generated matches seems low for many of these players over the course of a season so I've logged a bug for this.

On 31/10/2019 at 23:50, BFCookie said:

Possible issatwue with the AI? Rooney never got registered and even with a future transfer he never got registered? 

196b37a3f37d2c752f54dac51190635a.png

84012c16d76429d06dd26ed429fbcbe7.png

Yeah the AI should not be letting a DP go in this scenario where there is space in the roster otherwise. Thanks for spotting this, this is now logged internally.

For some reason, when I go in my Dev. Centre, it's impossibly to see the ability and potential of my players. In the MLS it's always written "unknown" 

On 02/11/2019 at 03:44, СинеБелойГолубой said:

Something seems off with the academies. I can't see potential/ability, can't even get a scouting report of them. Don't see a schedule of any sort, maybe I haven't gotten far enough into the season yet. Dev Centre, doesn't show anything about the academy players.

Obviously with the superdraft talent being subpar and unavailable the first season, a lack of academy info/schedule makes it disappointing to invest into the MLS saves. I know they're technically treated as AMA status as players, but if you can't see anything and don't have a B team, then what's the point of playing MLS.

The schedule won't appear as they are in an inactive competition. However the Academy not appearing correctly in the Dev Centre and not having reports/information viewable to the user from the squad screen is a bug that is currently logged. Thanks

On 02/11/2019 at 09:57, Moist Penguin said:

In first preseason I had registered all my players to a total of 62,000/63,000 max. I then signed a player at SMI so 1,000 per week and went to register him only to find that I have now got a salary cap of 66,000.It looks like the salary buydown expired but I got no notification or anything. Also on some players the salary buy down status would not apply

Sergiño Dest also is not declared for the US in game.

Hi there, do you have a save game from before signing the SMI player? If so could you upload it to our cloud service please? Thanks

On 02/11/2019 at 16:17, JWARBURTON said:

When attempting to sign staff members to Inter Miami it says they have signed a contract with my team however they are then never attached to the staff list or able to assign to training. It just says they have renewed their contract rather than being able to confirm the deal on the home screen. I have noticed similar issues with signing players as the game thinks we are renewing contracts rather than signing.

This is a known issue we are working to resolve currently. Thanks for raising this.

On 02/11/2019 at 17:04, holtb80 said:

Key players like Paxton are severely underrated, 1.5* for a player breaking into the USMNT as a 19-20 year old... no way.

I sacked peter lucin as his actual coaching stats were ****. He was on like 234k/yr, yet when I went to replace him as assman, I could only offer 168k. Then the board wouldn't raise the funds. This is pretty unreal as well, as fcd have a damn good staff who are good at getting the most out of youth players and developing them. I think a lot of this lies beyond code and starts with the scouting done for MLS/USL players by SI. 

Where is freddy sands? He ran this forum in years past, is he still our MLS guru?

Regarding the ratings, contract wages and the like these would be for the database side of things rather than the leagues rules forum.

On 02/11/2019 at 17:14, holtb80 said:

So why does North Texas have no staff and we are unable to hire staff? The same can be said for the FC Dallas Jrs team. I just had to manually schedule friendlies for NTSC, nearly all of them are away and I only had 3 team to choose from. The FCD Jrs I can only propose friendlies with my first team??? How are the youth attached to these clubs supposed to actually do anything? FCD jrs has no competitions they are even available to play in as well.

Checked in game and North Texas appear to have staff and the user is able to offer North Texas roles to potential staff signings - is this not the case on your save currently?

On 02/11/2019 at 17:27, holtb80 said:

If you have first window transfers locked, you cannot sign free players? Is this intended? Atlanata released Florentine Pogba, I was able to grab another player that was on waivers, but ATL held the rights on Pogba, so I traded for them (50k GAM and a 4th round draft pick) I still can add him as, instead of looking like acquiring after waivers, hes seen as a transfer in. Intended? 

To clarify, do you mean that Pogba is blocked from being signed due to first window transfers being disabled despite being signed after the window has closed?

On 02/11/2019 at 19:05, Lashley said:

Yup same here

20 hours ago, Akasha said:

Hi, 

Do you know how it works for Inter Miami transfer ?

In this french section thread this guy said he can't do transfer. He made an offer, he continue his game, and then his offer is cancelled automatically.

Thanks for your answer. ;) 

This is a known issue under investigation internally currently.

On 02/11/2019 at 17:38, Thiscat said:

Yep, AI is waiving a huge amount of players in my save. If only I knew so I could pick up a bunch of good American players on the cheap. XD

Look at this AI Orlando. They really going into the first season with 13 players registered? Isn't that against league rules?

On 02/11/2019 at 18:30, Mars_Blackmon said:

yep I am convinced that this is a problem with teams with B teams. They are leaving players over there instead of moving guys back over to meet the roster requirements.

Looking at teams without B teams and they all have over 18 players

The flip side that is teams without a B team rarely loan out any players that is not needed. Could be related to MLS only being active...

So this is two issues we're aware of and are logged internally. The first is that clubs with B Teams have far too small senior squads, but the second is that also squads in general (including for clubs without B Teams) are slightly too small somewhat often.

I'm encouraged that someone from SI is taking a close look at these issues, so let me reiterate one that I've mentioned in the past and is still a problem:  the MLS teams are not signing talented kids from their academies.  IRL most teams are now much more interested in identifying and developing young talent and we see kids from their academies as young as 15 or 16 appearing in first team matches, sometimes even starting.  The game's AI, however, has MLS teams ignoring the academy kids while European teams gobble the  talented MLS academy kids up, especially teams from Scandinavia and Germany.  MLS has publicly stated that it can't continue to depend on importing high talent and must put more focus on developing and selling talent, hence the increasing focus on the academies and the B teams.  The B teams are often tightly coupled with the first teams, sharing training sessions, coaching, etc.  FM has done much to model many of the unique features of MLS but the treatment of young talent still has a way to go.

3 hours ago, Longhorn said:

I'm encouraged that someone from SI is taking a close look at these issues, so let me reiterate one that I've mentioned in the past and is still a problem:  the MLS teams are not signing talented kids from their academies.  IRL most teams are now much more interested in identifying and developing young talent and we see kids from their academies as young as 15 or 16 appearing in first team matches, sometimes even starting.  The game's AI, however, has MLS teams ignoring the academy kids while European teams gobble the  talented MLS academy kids up, especially teams from Scandinavia and Germany.  MLS has publicly stated that it can't continue to depend on importing high talent and must put more focus on developing and selling talent, hence the increasing focus on the academies and the B teams.  The B teams are often tightly coupled with the first teams, sharing training sessions, coaching, etc.  FM has done much to model many of the unique features of MLS but the treatment of young talent still has a way to go.

I find this to be more true with teams that have a B team in real life.. They are bringing up guys from the academy and placing them on B teams. However teams like Chicago who are without a B team usually keep those young players in the academy longer.

In FM, I’ve see teams bring up as many as 6 academy players in one year. These were all 18 year olds though and they were leaving the academy. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the AI team in MLS call up a 16 year old in the game.

I agree that the AI should be recognizing these players earlier and either loan them back down to the academy (if without a B team) or send them to the B teams.

In real life, 18 year old academy players do not usually get signed, they end up going to college/U23 leagues

I’ll also add that newgens seem to be a lil too old in the game.  They are coming end at 16-17 years old and it seems  to be a global issue.

Guys  in real life who are usually worth signing are usually 15 turning 16 years of age. Even when managing in England, my stud youth intake player is already 17 years old...

48 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

I find this to be more true with teams that have a B team. They are bringing up guys from the academy and placing them on B teams. However teams like Chicago who are without a B team usually keep those young players in the academy longer.

I’ve see teams in the game bring up as many as 6 academy players in one year. These were all 18 year olds though and they were leaving the academy. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the AI team in MLS call up a 16 year old.

I agree that the AI should be recognizing these players earlier and either loan them back down to the academy (if without a B team) or send them to the B teams.

18 year old academy players do not usually get signed, they end up going to college.

I’ll also add that newgens seem to be a lil too old. They are coming end at 16-17 years old.

Seem to be a global issue

guys in real life who are usually worth signing are 15-16 years of age.

Hey Mars,

are you seeing this in FM20 or did you see it in FM19 and before?  I ran some tests on earlier versions of FM (e.g. FM19) and using the editor I put kids in the academy that could have competed for first team minutes but never got a contract with the parent club.   can't say what FM20 does or doesn't do since I haven't tested it and a good test is difficult without the in-game editor, so I am interested in what you have seen.

On 02/11/2019 at 22:25, RegenHairColour said:

PS the reason I wasn't seeing MLS awards is because I started my save in Europe and then added MLS after the initial start up. When I started a new save in the MLS they were there...so, hurrah.

Major League Soccer Awards

Landon Donovan MLS Most Valuable Player 

Defender of the Year 

Allstate Goalkeeper of the Year

Newcomer of the Year

AT&T Rookie of the Year

Sigi Schmid Coach of the Year

Comeback Player of the Year

MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year - 

1 hour ago, Longhorn said:

Hey Mars,

are you seeing this in FM20 or did you see it in FM19 and before?  I ran some tests on earlier versions of FM (e.g. FM19) and using the editor I put kids in the academy that could have competed for first team minutes but never got a contract with the parent club.   can't say what FM20 does or doesn't do since I haven't tested it and a good test is difficult without the in-game editor, so I am interested in what you have seen.

Teams are signing 18 year old academy players after they graduate 

clubs with B teams are sending these players to their B teams and clubs without them using waive them if by aren’t good enough for 1st team.

i haven’t seen any 15-17 year old get signed though. Only academy player that are due to “graduate”

BUG: Can't Accept Trade Offer, Stuck in Negotiation 

Attempting to trade for a player in a MLS using General Allocation and/or Targeted Allocation. When in the trade window, when I hit "Suggest Offer", the offer in the window doesn't change, but the window says the other team has "negotiated" the offer. Nothing has changed in the trade though. I have no opportunity to Accept the other, only Suggest or Submit. When I submit, I get a news alert in a few days that the team has negotiated the offer, but the offer is the exact same as it was before. I can not sign the player at all. 

6 hours ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Teams are signing 18 year old academy players after they graduate 

clubs with B teams are sending these players to their B teams and clubs without them using waive them if by aren’t good enough for 1st team.

i haven’t seen any 15-17 year old get signed though. Only academy player that are due to “graduate”

I wish the in-game editor was available so I could peek at the MLS academy teams.  I went back and looked at the latest database for FM19 for grins.  Atlanta, for example, had Bello and Carleton on the roster, with PAs of 150 or so.  Bello in the database is age 15 and Carleton is 17, but he was already with Atlanta in the previous year.  Looking at the rosters for the more powerful first teams I see that anyone with a CA of 130 or better would be in the top 3 to 5 players, even on the most powerful teams.  The bulk of the MLS teams is made up of players with a CA of 120 or less, mostly less.  But, in previous versions of FM when experimented and used the editor to give MLS teams kids with PAs of 130 or better they ended up on European teams.  That is also true for any talented kids (PA of 130 or better) on any of the non-MLS academies. I would guess, and I hope I'm wrong, that in FM20 any kids that do make it to the B team or first team are in the 120 or less potential.  These teams won't be very competitive compared to Mexican teams, nor to my team if I do a more intelligent job of exploiting talent than the AI does.

End of 2019 season, for the expansion draft, FC Dallas is exempt as Cincinnati chose a Dallas player in the previous draft. 

I am not sure what the game wants me to do to advance right now as I left every available player unprotected and now I cannot change any status of any player. 

https://gyazo.com/72d2802886873228543355a62a68d1e9

I've tried to upload the file yet I am told the file is too large, even after zipping it up.

No matter how I change the selection of players, I cannot get to the the max size of 11 while retaining a minimum of 4 INT players.

In the screen shot, there are only 4 players I can change the status of, with several others auto protected due to being HG or GA.

Using the Auto Select option gets no changes. At this point my save is effectively locked? 

https://gyazo.com/0710f63179d76c0ee1bde73a5d900515

1 minute ago, holtb80 said:

End of 2019 season, for the expansion draft, FC Dallas is exempt as Cincinnati chose a Dallas player in the previous draft. 

I am not sure what the game wants me to do to advance right now as I left every available player unprotected and now I cannot change any status of any player. 

https://gyazo.com/72d2802886873228543355a62a68d1e9

I've tried to upload the file yet I am told the file is too large, even after zipping it up.

No matter how I change the selection of players, I cannot get to the the max size of 11 while retaining a minimum of 4 INT players.

In the screen shot, there are only 4 players I can change the status of, with several others auto protected due to being HG or GA.

Using the Auto Select option gets no changes. At this point my save is effectively locked? 

https://gyazo.com/0710f63179d76c0ee1bde73a5d900515

Try getting out of that panel and going on vacation for a day.  This has solved problems for me in the past.

Just now, Longhorn said:

Try getting out of that panel and going on vacation for a day.  This has solved problems for me in the past.

I was about to edit and say I had to vacation. So annoying, but I got through it without losing a player.

Toronto FC don't seem to have an Academy team. No TFC Academy is listed as affiliated team, or even exists in the game. Is this supposed to happen?

12 hours ago, Freddie Sands said:

To clarify, do you mean that Pogba is blocked from being signed due to first window transfers being disabled despite being signed after the window has closed?

I purchased the played rights for him from Atlanta, he was a free agent, yet I could not offer him a contract. I believe that free agents should still be able to be signed? Perhaps I am off on that one, but I did add a few players to the roster despite transfers being locked.

12 hours ago, Freddie Sands said:

So this is two issues we're aware of and are logged internally. The first is that clubs with B Teams have far too small senior squads, but the second is that also squads in general (including for clubs without B Teams) are slightly too small somewhat often.

I went thru the entire league after the first season was complete, there is an average of $3.4 million General allocation per team available. This seems too high?

January 1, my roster automatically used some GAM? Seems that shouldn't happen until you try to register. If I now sell one of the players the GAM was used on, it's now wasted funds.

Also, was it an intentional change to allow only $200k GAM to be used per player? If so, this could be a part of the huge roster dumps we see, teams simply cannot use the funds available to them to get the default rosters under the salary cap.

I'm having an issue with GAM salary cap buydowns. In FM19 you were able to buy down a player's entire salary cap impact, this year it's limited.

Edited by wooderson17
removed unrelated screenshot

Do Inter Miami have trheir kits in FM regular? They don't in FMT but every other MLS team has theirs.

Evening, huge amounts of players being waived as General Allocation money is not right and seems limited, also TAM is used for designated players I believe. This is the same issues has every year though, will we see something tweaked in this, really do enjoy managing in the MLS

1 hour ago, СинеБелойГолубой said:

Alright another issues possibly. I ended up convincing the board to give me a B-team. After getting my B team, I put out adverts for the various positions for the B team. Every time though I get a response for the advert it's all coaches who actually want to me one of the main coaches/physios/scouts, etc. 

ss+(2019-11-08+at+12.37.31).png

ss+(2019-11-08+at+12.40.22).jpg

ss+(2019-11-08+at+12.40.28).jpg

Additionally there is no staff control/responsibilities that I can see for the created B-team.

ss+(2019-11-08+at+01.52.38).png

Have you tried locking the position offer in your negotiation (ex. Colorado II Fitness Coach) so they can't ask for a main team job?

On 05/11/2019 at 03:38, holtb80 said:

I went thru the entire league after the first season was complete, there is an average of $3.4 million General allocation per team available. This seems too high?

January 1, my roster automatically used some GAM? Seems that shouldn't happen until you try to register. If I now sell one of the players the GAM was used on, it's now wasted funds.

Also, was it an intentional change to allow only $200k GAM to be used per player? If so, this could be a part of the huge roster dumps we see, teams simply cannot use the funds available to them to get the default rosters under the salary cap.

With the GAM per team this is partly due to the new TAM system not being in game (with Mandatory and Discretionary TAM defined differently) and so each team receives $2.8M in GAM to compensate as a workaround for the $2.8M in TAM they otherwise can;t receive in game. We are trying to tweak it so they use as much GAM as possible, but with such a large amount some teams will inevitably end up stockpiling somewhat.

With regards to the amount of GAM usable on a player this is due to a rule that a player's cap impact can only be bought down to half of their contract value.

I'm having the same issue with Inter Miami.  Staff agreeing and signing but then not appearing at the club.  

On this date 4 april 2020 : My board says I have a club vision object failed : Qualify for the MLS CUP... We're in the beginning of the season...

Well in 2019 I have won the MLS cup, and I am 1st on this date in the ranking... I am getting sacked without any reasons.

Edited by AlexTheTall

6 hours ago, Freddie Sands said:

With the GAM per team this is partly due to the new TAM system not being in game (with Mandatory and Discretionary TAM defined differently) and so each team receives $2.8M in GAM to compensate as a workaround for the $2.8M in TAM they otherwise can;t receive in game. We are trying to tweak it so they use as much GAM as possible, but with such a large amount some teams will inevitably end up stockpiling somewhat.

With regards to the amount of GAM usable on a player this is due to a rule that a player's cap impact can only be bought down to half of their contract value.

Speculation here but should probably take a peek at the trading. It’s a lot of trading going on and most of it is assets for GAM. It’s too the point where teams are trading just to be trading (I guess to use up the GAM?) I’ve seen teams trade away their key players for GAM and picks while they were competing for the playoffs.

Suggestion for FM devs or q/a testers here, if a B-team is created, consider adding a tab for them so I don't have to go through the dev centre or affiliates. 

If I go through the Dev Centre, I'm limited to what I can do with the team in terms of the menus for like training/staff, etc. I have to go through affiliates to see the full menu in the second image.

ss+(2019-11-08+at+07.01.16).png

ss+(2019-11-08+at+07.01.34).jpg

has anyone ecountered this game breaking transfer bug? I'm Atlanta United in the first season and tried to sign a player for $2.5 million up front. How the actual rules work is the transfer fee will be spread over the course of a few seasons plus the players salary (who is a hmid/high level senior contract) $8-10k. However it is counting the entire transfer fee now so I can only offer the player $65/wk...    This same crap killed MLS for me last year.

19 minutes ago, treyb770 said:

has anyone ecountered this game breaking transfer bug? I'm Atlanta United in the first season and tried to sign a player for $2.5 million up front. How the actual rules work is the transfer fee will be spread over the course of a few seasons plus the players salary (who is a hmid/high level senior contract) $8-10k. However it is counting the entire transfer fee now so I can only offer the player $65/wk...    This same crap killed MLS for me last year.

Just to flesh out the details. Transfer budgets are gradually taken from the GAM supply over several seasons. However with two seperate transfers the entire fee is being deducted from the GAM budget. Thus, making majority of signings impossible. 

18 hours ago, Freddie Sands said:

But if a player is making 550k/yr.... 200k is less than half.... thus the system is broken. I stopped the FCD save I had (apparently the file is too large even zipped to be uploaded?) because I had 6 players on 500k salaries but only being able to knock off 200k each, I couldn't get under the cap buy 200k... IF it's meant to be half the salary... I should have been able to continue with this team. 

As it sits right now, mls is completely screwed up and unplayable past a single season or 2. FM18 it was crap and 19 things worked great. 

18 hours ago, treyb770 said:

That's not right. Transfer fees are expensed against the budget in year one unless the player is classified as a Special Discovery Player (https://www.mlssoccer.com/glossary/special-discovery-player). You only get one Special Discovery Player, the player has to be 27 years old or younger and only up to $500k can be amortized. 

3 hours ago, SeoulYank said:

That's not right. Transfer fees are expensed against the budget in year one unless the player is classified as a Special Discovery Player (https://www.mlssoccer.com/glossary/special-discovery-player). You only get one Special Discovery Player, the player has to be 27 years old or younger and only up to $500k can be amortized. 

huh ok my mistake. I could've swore I've seen MLS clubs making larger non-DP signings recently just doesn't make sense that I can't get a $1 million talent because its more than my GAM/salary budget. But maybe thats just MLS craziness