Sports Interactive Community
Mypos

(FM2017) Tactics help Armagh Northern Ireland

Hey guys. Im playing the FM2017 version and for the first time in playing FM im diving in deep in developing my own tactics. Im starting to get a little bit better in it but i know i still have a lot to learn. Im playing in Northern Ireland with a club called Armagh and i find its really hard but it gives me alot of pleasure because of the challenge and the feel of realism. I have attributes on masked and i can only scout in Northern Ireland. So both squad building is very hard because i can only scout in NI and even then not all players want to play with me because my rep is now 5th in the country and i have a really low attendance base (about 300 average now) so i cannot give players a high wage. But im making progress as last year i took the title for the first time while predicted 7th. And this year i eliminated Rosenborg in CL first qualify round.

But i would really hear some help on the tactics side. Im playing a pretty simple countertactic. Direct play, deep line, 4123 with DM narrow play with clear ball to flank and exploit flank but i feel i dont make the most of my players. I have a few players who stand out. I have a striker with 14 16 acc and pace 12 fin and 12 com and 15 off the ball. So he is superfast for this level and really good off the ball movement. I have an italian midfielder (occasionally i get players from abroad offered and this one was a big hit!) who has 13 first touch 13 passing 10 technique 14 dec 15 flair and 12 vision so a really good playmaker for this level. And i have a few backs with about 13 marking tackling pace position and 6 crossing. So really solid backs for this level. I might add that i also have 1 really good winger and a few other medium wingers. So i would like to keep playing with wingers.

And i feel like i can be making more out of these players. Any ideas or advice to utilize them better will be very much appreciated!

Edited by Mypos

I can't help much because I'm a dunce with tactics but read the post because I've always started my career saves with Armagh since CM01/02 when someone pointed out they were the lowest reputation club in the lowest reputation league.  Armagh has became  my traditional starting place since then even though I don't think they're the worst club any more.  It seems you're doing well enough not to need my advice so I'll just wish you well.

Edited by ThunderCelt

Given that i don't know your team nor your players, i'll try to give some general advice. Lately i've been utilising counter-tactics aswell, so i have a few pointers. A thing i've found really effective is to drop the LOE and use roles that attack space (Shadow Striker, Winger attack duty, stuff like that) I don't know much about the 4231. 

BTW you've got a very interesting save, i do like the challenge of managing in a minnow country.

On 31/10/2019 at 09:40, ThunderCelt said:

I can't help much because I'm a dunce with tactics but read the post because I've always started my career saves with Armagh since CM01/02 when someone pointed out they were the lowest reputation club in the lowest reputation league.  Armagh has became  my traditional starting place since then even though I don't think they're the worst club any more.  It seems you're doing well enough not to need my advice so I'll just wish you well.

Lowest reputation club in lowest reputation league thats awesome. Nice you allways started with Armagh. Did you do this also in FM2017? How did it go?

I had super interesting LLM saves in FM2007 FM2008 FM2010 and FM2011. Most of them with Blyth Spartans (winning everything) and Shamrock Rovers (also winning everything). But in these saves i allways used Plug and Play tactics, no attribute cloak. So what im doing now is way different because of the tactics. And i can handle the club building aspect even with this extra difficulty. But the tactics are really starting to demotivate me.

On 31/10/2019 at 09:44, Br4nco said:

Given that i don't know your team nor your players, i'll try to give some general advice. Lately i've been utilising counter-tactics aswell, so i have a few pointers. A thing i've found really effective is to drop the LOE and use roles that attack space (Shadow Striker, Winger attack duty, stuff like that) I don't know much about the 4231. 

BTW you've got a very interesting save, i do like the challenge of managing in a minnow country.

Thx! Im gonna try it and also the link in post below. Few questions. What is the LOE? And if you use shadow striker or winger attack you should have pass into space ticked i guess? Are there anymore attack space roles?

7 hours ago, \'Appy \'Ammer said:

Allow yourself to scout the ROI. It's only down the road. Closer for your scout to travel to Dundalk to watch a match than travel to Belfast!

Not possible. I can only scout in NI. No way of asking to scout more countries either but it says at board screen that im only allowed to scout NI.

Hey,

Ive been playing mainly in the Northern Ireland leagues for many a year so much so that when i join a bigger league i just want to go back.  The problem with down here is that unless your Linfield your not gonna develop your players that much.  The best bit of advice that I can offer is that the players are 90% non-contract which means every few months you can renegotate their contracts & 9 times out of ten you can put them on a lesser contract thus increasing the coffers.  Your on your way once you qualify for europe tho.  The cash injection is great!  I usually start with Newington YC, they dont even own their own stadium so its abit of a long term save :)

9 hours ago, Sinister78 said:

Hey,

Ive been playing mainly in the Northern Ireland leagues for many a year so much so that when i join a bigger league i just want to go back.  The problem with down here is that unless your Linfield your not gonna develop your players that much.  The best bit of advice that I can offer is that the players are 90% non-contract which means every few months you can renegotate their contracts & 9 times out of ten you can put them on a lesser contract thus increasing the coffers.  Your on your way once you qualify for europe tho.  The cash injection is great!  I usually start with Newington YC, they dont even own their own stadium so its abit of a long term save :)

Well my players are developing pretty decent. I have 2 U21 players now  from my own youth (CD and LB) and 1 U19 (DF) (youth internationals) . Im allready past the non contract point because i can sign all my best players on Parttime contracts. I have 1,7 mil in the bank because of the European games over the last 3 years. But at this moment i have the feeling im going backwards because of the tactics. I have to get the title a few times so i can become nr 1 club in Northern Ireland. And then i can sign all the best players in Northern Ireland, maybe go proffesional and start really competing in Europe. 

Edited by Mypos

I hope people still read this topic. I have a few tactical questions on which i cannot find an answer online. 

1. What does raising your defensive line do exactly? I know lowering it (deep defensive line) creates space and i use this when i play against ultra defensive teams. But im not quite sure when you would want to use raising the defensive line?

2. What would be the right strategy when you oponent goes to a more attacking strategy? Switch from standard to counter? Or keep playing standard even if it gives your oponent more shots on goal?

I would be really thankfull for some insights! I have after all a big job ahead of me and thats winning the CL with Armagh. :)

In season 9 i just got the message that my season ticket sales has soared from last season. 59 season tickets sold. 53 last year. :p

I will give tiny updates here. Dont know if anybody is interested but i sometimes feel the urge to share...:)

So i got into the European Groups by eleminating first Maribor and then Montpellier. Huge succes of course. First match i had a draw against Aberdeen. And i asked the board to go professional and they agreed finally! I lost 2-0 to Wolfsburg but i saw they have a player who is around 30 million and the whole worth of my club is now 5,84 million. 

My tactic now is very solid. I have 2 tactics a 4123 DM and a new one who i think is even better 5-3-2. I have some reasonable quality wingers so i didnt want to quit the 4123 DM. The only problem i have is that my strikers dont score much. They often have dry spells. But i guess thats the price i pay for the defensive stability. 

My fans who go when i dont play at home have doubled from 10 till 20. :)