Sports Interactive Community
Simon Tipple

[U.S.A.] Data Issues

JT Marcinkowski only have 4 for jumping reach, which is far, far too low for someone who is 186 cm tall. I'd say at least 10-ish.

Here's a good article speaking about the diversity of the MLS

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/09/18/record-73-countries-represented-among-diverse-mls-player-pool

When the dual nations and newgen problem gets fixed, I hope we do not see many players from countries who do not traditionally have players represented in MLS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_MLS_players

Note: majority of these players were not signed from other professional leagues, They came over at a young age.

Here's a percentage of foreign players in the 2019 MLS season. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com.fj/major-league-soccer/gastarbeiter/wettbewerb/MLS1/saison_id/2018

Something that should get looked into is transfer preferences.  haven't simmed far enough to see if teams are buying more players with edits but for testing purposes, I set USA to have a 20 in transfer preferences for the continents of North America, South America and Europe (with other edits to assure that the correct type of players are being signed) and I immediately noticed more International YDP's & DP's being signed within the first transfer market.

There are a lot of unnecessary trades going on by the AI in the MLS. A way to combat that is to adhere to the real life rules of no player trades until the 2 transfer windows are open (International window)

In real life, you aren't able to trade for players at anytime during the season. The only trades that can happen at anytime during the season are asset trading (Draft picks, GAM/TAM, international spots and Rights) 

I am not sure if this can be implemented but I wouldn't be against not allowing any trades until the transfer window is open. That would surely cut down on stupid AI trades. 

The rules is similar to no domestic loans until the February transfer window is open, There shouldn't be any domestic player movement until February and again

during the summer window in July...

This would even help with squad building as some teams love to trade away all of their draft picks.

There is also a 2 day trade window immediately after the MLS Cup to start the offseason. 

Edit-

Cool to see that I was able to make this change in the editor with advance rules. Even though I made it so that player movement from trades did not go through until the window opened, I wash able to trade for assets that immediately went through the next day. So hopefully the data change can be official in a update. 

Confirmation: MLS 2020 conference alignment: Inter Miami in East, Nashville in West

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/12/02/mls-2020-conference-alignment-inter-miami-east-nashville-west

Also it should go without saying that Sacramento Republic and St. Louis are confirmed joining in 2022 (with Austin FC joining in 2021) and that should be reflected in both the database and league structure. (Which also has the relevant impact on Nashville likely being pushed back to the East Conference by 2022)

There are also rumours that there is an expansion announcement for a Charlotte-based team to be announced shortly (before the end of the year), to keep track of.

(I realize there are some complications for SI, such as St. Louis not having team name and logo announced yet. A decent compromise could be adding functionality to the editor to add more expansion teams (without bugs such as missing youth acadamies) so that the community can find it's own workarounds)

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this. So move it to the correct place.

The list of the past winners for the eastern and western conference champions are wrong. It should list the winner as champions of the playoffs, not during the regular season. For example, in 2016 Toronto FC won the Eastern Conference championship after beating Montreal Impact, Not New York Red Bulls. Even more if I'm incorrect, the next winner will show the playoffs instead of the regular season .

Also why won't the Canadian MLS club show the Canadian Championship trophy in their respective title history?

On 01/12/2019 at 14:14, Mars_Blackmon said:

Cool to see that I was able to make this change in the editor with advance rules. Even though I made it so that player movement from trades did not go through until the window opened, I wash able to trade for assets that immediately went through the next day. So hopefully the data change can be official in a update. 

Hey, could you upload the editor file please? I would love to use this change in a save.

This might be a weird thing to ask for, but there's a lot of somewhat populated cities and towns throughout the US that don't have entries in the database. If even hundreds of these cities were added to the database, there would be a lot more variety in newgen birthplaces. I'd be happy to provide examples if asked, but if not, a good way to locate and add these cities to the database is to go through every U.S. state and look for the most populated places that aren't in the database yet.

Edited by Gum

49 minutes ago, Gum said:

Hey, could you upload the editor file please? I would love to use this change in a save.

I was just experimenting, I don't know if it will cause any crashes in the long run.

Im very cautious about messing with MLS in the editor. I'll save that for Uncle Sam...I will make the changes in his file once its released but hopefully SI makes the change in the database.

I took a peek into the USA data using the advance editor and noticed that the youth intake age was set to 17. That is way too old considering the number of 15 year old players that are currently playing in the USL...This would never happen using the default data.

To continue this point, academy teams should have an affiliation with MLS B teams..Not sure how this would work in the current setup since it’s seem like academy teams are technically first team football, but now days in real life, academy players (MLS and Non MLS) are getting loaned out to USL teams to gain first team football experience before they are even given a professional contract.

8 hours ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

I took a peek into the USA data using the advance editor and noticed that the youth intake age was set to 17. That is way too old considering the number of 15 year old players that are currently playing in the USL...This would never happen using the default data.

To continue this point, academy teams should have an affiliation with MLS B teams..Not sure how this would work in the current setup since it’s seem like academy teams are technically first team football, but now days in real life, academy players (MLS and Non MLS) are getting loaned out to USL teams to gain first team football experience before they are even given a professional contract.

It should be like most European countries like France and Germany, where there's a lot of 15 and 16 year old regens along with the occasional 14 year old.

The transfer fee for David Accam and Anibal Godoy to Nashville are wrong: Accam goes to Nashville for 350K GAM + 100K TAM ; Godoy for 650K GAM.

AI is really dumb in the expansion draft: I found players like Wil Trapp and Darlington Nagbe in the expansion draft, which is nonsense !

Some problems with the stadiums also, as mentioned... 

I do not have any screen here, but the TAM does not appear in the  League Specific tab of the Finances screens, even if I can trade them. I have $1.2M TAM and the screen shows 0.

Too easy to sign free agents also. They accept very low wages.

Expansion Draft: the 5 clubs that lost a player to Cincinnati last year should be bye for this expansion draft.

One more: Dallas FC plays in San Francisco. I have already reported it years ago... Easy to correct with the Editor but why don't you correct it ? Every year, I look forwards to getting the new FM, every year I am so disappointed by the MLS...

Edited by Aubibeen69

8 hours ago, Aubibeen69 said:

One more: Dallas FC plays in San Francisco. I have already reported it years ago... Easy to correct with the Editor but why don't you correct it ? Every year, I look forwards to getting the new FM, every year I am so disappointed by the MLS...

They play in Frisco, not San Francisco...

Hi guys I placed a review on the mobile app and Sega asked me to post it here. I play the mobile version which suits me great however I'm a Newcastle fan and the season expectations for season 1 is europa league qualification which is rediculas for Newcastle, plus the season I'm doing West ham are 2nd, Liverpool are 7th and liecester are 16th, so the mobile versions realism need alot of help if possible please 

Il y a 7 heures, Gum a dit :

They play in Frisco, not San Francisco...

I kinow, but in the Editor the Toyota Stadium is located in San Francisco, as well as FC Dallas. 

Edited by Aubibeen69

On 02/12/2019 at 22:37, polskaGOLA said:

Confirmation: MLS 2020 conference alignment: Inter Miami in East, Nashville in West

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/12/02/mls-2020-conference-alignment-inter-miami-east-nashville-west

Also it should go without saying that Sacramento Republic and St. Louis are confirmed joining in 2022 (with Austin FC joining in 2021) and that should be reflected in both the database and league structure. (Which also has the relevant impact on Nashville likely being pushed back to the East Conference by 2022)

There are also rumours that there is an expansion announcement for a Charlotte-based team to be announced shortly (before the end of the year), to keep track of.

(I realize there are some complications for SI, such as St. Louis not having team name and logo announced yet. A decent compromise could be adding functionality to the editor to add more expansion teams (without bugs such as missing youth acadamies) so that the community can find it's own workarounds)

Confirmation: Major League Soccer awards expansion team to Charlotte

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/12/17/major-league-soccer-awards-expansion-team-charlotte

MLS Expansion:

MLS will have 26 teams competing in 2020, with the inaugural seasons of Inter Miami CF and Nashville SC. In 2021 Austin FC and Charlotte will follow, before Sacramento Republic FC and St. Louis follow in 2022 to bring the league to 30 teams.

I wish that we could expand the league to are liking in the editor without any limitations. For example, last year the expansion draft didn’t work if you expanded the league outside of the default expansion 

I think this has already mentioned: the academy is empty for expansion teams, and the second year also. No regens allowed for Miami and Nashville ?

There are many MLS players without a place of birth set in the DB. In most cases their POBs are not in the database, but for the following players their POBs are already created (all info is taken from the official MLS site).

Hassan Ndam (Cincinnati)

Place of birth: Foumban, Cameroon

Luis Caicedo (New England)

Place of birth: Apartadó, Colombia

Cristian Penilla (New England)

Place of birth: Esmeraldas, Ecuador

Luis Barraza (NYCFC)

Place of birth: Las Cruces (NM)

Ronald Matarrita (NYCFC)

Place of birth: Alajuela, Costa Rica

Modou Jadama (Portland)

Place of birth: Serrekunda, The Gambia

Also, Felipe Hernández from Sporting KC is set as being born in Nashville but he was actually born in Ibagué, Colombia https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/felipe-hernandez

DCU is still playing at RFK in FM2020. Should be in their new Audi Field with bigger match day capacity.

image.png

Thought I should post this here about Newgen Nationalities and the lack of diversity in the USA.

Please note that while there is a lot of dual nationalities in the USA, majority of those players were not born in the USA and had gained the second nationality. There are a lot of foreigners who aren't born in the USA but come over to play in College or in an academy. So MLS somewhat have it's own issues with lack of foreigners being generated at the academy level. 

Players that are born in the USA but have a second nationality that play this sport are majority Mexican. Players with a African or Caribbean background are also found.  Foreign players who come over to the USA at a young age to play in academies or at the college level are from Europe, Africa and the Caribbean.

As, FM stands right now. There are a limited amount of foreigners being generated at the MLS academy let alone anyone with a dual nationality. The countries they are from also seems very random and out of place.

it’s very off putting to not see any Mexican/Americans being generated during intake. But somehow there is an influx of newgens with Spanish names being generated in the USA which is off.

i hope this info could somehow be edited in the previous game editor in a future version.

Regarding the March Waiver Draft. 

I do not think this exist anymore. Doing research I can not find any information on it and official MLS key dates never refer to it but refer to the December Waiver Draft (also a lot of articles about the December Waiver Draft)

Some articles I’ve come across with players being waived after the roster compliance date suggest that there is no waiver draft in March. Players are picked from the waiver list at this point...

It’s also noteworthy that the MLS doesn’t refer to the Waiver Draft in December as the “December Waiver Draft” but just the MLS Waiver Draft” this suggest that there is currently only one waiver draft in MLS.

Draft Picks seem to be overvalued in FM these days. Yes you shouldn’t be able to trade a scrub for a top 5 pick but at the same time first round picks should not return star players as they do in the game.

With the emergence of academies, the SuperDraft isn’t that valuable any more (certainly not worth 650k - 1.2 mil in value for a 1st)

in FM, the AI are using draft picks like allocation money and returning star players. Young star players at that.

According to this article, top picks in the SuperDraft are only worth about 200K...

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/mls-draft-history-examining-the-value-of-a-pick/

Food for thought, FC Cincinnati only spent about 200k in GAM When acquiring all 5 draft picks from Philadelphia.

On 10/12/2019 at 21:08, Aubibeen69 said:

One more: Dallas FC plays in San Francisco.

That one was a translation error.  I've asked for it to be looked at in the French translation thread

I'm not sure where to put this, but I'm using the Beta release and after simming to 2044, most of the top USA players are Newgens from an Argentina team. BY most, I mean about 21 of 25 on the USA national team. Most players have moved on to bigger clubs, but surely most good USA Newgens should come from USA or a top European nation. 

I have no custom data turned on and the only league i had loaded was russia 

Hi guys, 

I've posted this in other forums I thought were relevant but i've had no response from SI. 

This is a major issue as it completely breaks the realism of the game. 

Im in the year 2024 and suddenly all these mid 20s world class players have appeared in the MLS. I just checked and every regen in the league is at least 3.5 current ability. One of them even plays for England now due to dual nationality. They have barely any playing time and seem to have appeared in the last year or so. 

I'm worried at the next transfer window every premier league team is gonna spend like 10 million on American versions of Neymar and Van Dijk. 

Please help! 

I've attached images of some of these players, but trust me.. there are so many more. 

Happy to attach a save game if needed. 

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_6.png

Screenshot_7.png

Screenshot_8.png

Screenshot_1.png

1 hour ago, LucasDRA said:

Hi guys, 

I've posted this in other forums I thought were relevant but i've had no response from SI. 

This is a major issue as it completely breaks the realism of the game. 

Im in the year 2024 and suddenly all these mid 20s world class players have appeared in the MLS. I just checked and every regen in the league is at least 3.5 current ability. One of them even plays for England now due to dual nationality. They have barely any playing time and seem to have appeared in the last year or so. 

I'm worried at the next transfer window every premier league team is gonna spend like 10 million on American versions of Neymar and Van Dijk. 

Please help! 

I've attached images of some of these players, but trust me.. there are so many more. 

Happy to attach a save game if needed. 

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_6.png

Screenshot_7.png

Screenshot_8.png

Screenshot_1.png

newgens across the game seem to be over powered. I personally use a file in the editor forum that tame this problem. Now newgens are at the same levels as the default database players

5 hours ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

newgens across the game seem to be over powered. I personally use a file in the editor forum that tame this problem. Now newgens are at the same levels as the default database players

But these guys just appeared out of nowhere.. The whole USA and Canadian team is just newgens and I'm only in year 2024.. 

On 10/01/2020 at 11:06, Mars_Blackmon said:

Regarding the March Waiver Draft. 

I do not think this exist anymore. Doing research I can not find any information on it and official MLS key dates never refer to it but refer to the December Waiver Draft (also a lot of articles about the December Waiver Draft)

Some articles I’ve come across with players being waived after the roster compliance date suggest that there is no waiver draft in March. Players are picked from the waiver list at this point...

It’s also noteworthy that the MLS doesn’t refer to the Waiver Draft in December as the “December Waiver Draft” but just the MLS Waiver Draft” this suggest that there is currently only one waiver draft in MLS.

I'm pretty sure you are right. Players that get waived during the season are still acquired through the waiver order, but there is no specific draft.

On 15/01/2020 at 09:16, Mars_Blackmon said:

Draft Picks seem to be overvalued in FM these days. Yes you shouldn’t be able to trade a scrub for a top 5 pick but at the same time first round picks should not return star players as they do in the game.

With the emergence of academies, the SuperDraft isn’t that valuable any more (certainly not worth 650k - 1.2 mil in value for a 1st)

in FM, the AI are using draft picks like allocation money and returning star players. Young star players at that.

According to this article, top picks in the SuperDraft are only worth about 200K...

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/mls-draft-history-examining-the-value-of-a-pick/

Food for thought, FC Cincinnati only spent about 200k in GAM When acquiring all 5 draft picks from Philadelphia.

As a fan of the Union, I wouldn't use them as any indication on the value of draft picks. This isn't to say valuations in game are wrong, but the Union specifically would rather use the reserve roster spots that a draft pick takes up on kids they sign from their academy. They put a lot of money (relative to MLS teams and probably quite a few teams worldwide outside of the big leagues) into developing players internally and they want to bring the best into the first team when they are 17 to 19. You are right thought that recent years have seen trade values for these picks drop as more teams produce better players in their academy.

One thing I've noticed within the game when I've played a bit of it and the database is that the use of club option years is really missing. Two of the Union's off-season signings thus far have had club options confirmed (one is 3 years with an optional 4th and the other is 2 years with 2 option years). SKC signed Khiry Shelton for 3 years with an option for a 4th and  Roberto Puncec for 2 years with an option for a 3rd. However, pretty much every contract I see are straight contracts with no option years. Low end salary players are almost always entirely 2 base years with 2 option years while I think almost every reserve player is on option year contracts. Again, looking at the Union they exercised 8 options in November of last year. None of those players have option years in the database and I think all but one were set to have their contract expire at the end of the '19 season. I feel like the way contracts are structured in the game leads to the re-entry drafts being nothing affairs as it is only out of contract players and not ones that have options declined. So within a few years you have a re-entry draft with 6 players instead of the 64 players that were available this past year in real life.

9 hours ago, wcujer80 said:

I'm pretty sure you are right. Players that get waived during the season are still acquired through the waiver order, but there is no specific draft.

As a fan of the Union, I wouldn't use them as any indication on the value of draft picks. This isn't to say valuations in game are wrong, but the Union specifically would rather use the reserve roster spots that a draft pick takes up on kids they sign from their academy. They put a lot of money (relative to MLS teams and probably quite a few teams worldwide outside of the big leagues) into developing players internally and they want to bring the best into the first team when they are 17 to 19. You are right thought that recent years have seen trade values for these picks drop as more teams produce better players in their academy.

One thing I've noticed within the game when I've played a bit of it and the database is that the use of club option years is really missing. Two of the Union's off-season signings thus far have had club options confirmed (one is 3 years with an optional 4th and the other is 2 years with 2 option years). SKC signed Khiry Shelton for 3 years with an option for a 4th and  Roberto Puncec for 2 years with an option for a 3rd. However, pretty much every contract I see are straight contracts with no option years. Low end salary players are almost always entirely 2 base years with 2 option years while I think almost every reserve player is on option year contracts. Again, looking at the Union they exercised 8 options in November of last year. None of those players have option years in the database and I think all but one were set to have their contract expire at the end of the '19 season. I feel like the way contracts are structured in the game leads to the re-entry drafts being nothing affairs as it is only out of contract players and not ones that have options declined. So within a few years you have a re-entry draft with 6 players instead of the 64 players that were available this past year in real life.

That’s not really a Union thing (I’m from Philly and am a Union fan) it’s an ongoing MLS trend. 

Inter Miami.

Anthony Pulis is still St Louis manager in- game when he has moved to Inter Miami and is now a coach as of early January. 

Bryan Meredith left Inter Miami for Vancouver Whitecaps on January 30tg but is still a Miami player in-game. 

Alphonso Davies has an acceleration and pace of 17, while Kingsley Coman has an acceleration of 17 and pace of 19.  Whereas this article lists Coman as the fastest in Bundesliga:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/who-is-the-fastest-player-at-bayern-munich/ar-BBXHlwA

However, the internal talk at Bayern I've seen state that Davies is actually faster, but they won't release sprint times.  Watching Davies in today's game vs. Chelsea, Davies does appear to be slightly faster than Kingsley Coman.  He should in the very least have a max pace of 18.

9 hours ago, Rexfelis said:

Alphonso Davies has an acceleration and pace of 17, while Kingsley Coman has an acceleration of 17 and pace of 19.  Whereas this article lists Coman as the fastest in Bundesliga:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/who-is-the-fastest-player-at-bayern-munich/ar-BBXHlwA

However, the internal talk at Bayern I've seen state that Davies is actually faster, but they won't release sprint times.  Watching Davies in today's game vs. Chelsea, Davies does appear to be slightly faster than Kingsley Coman.  He should in the very least have a max pace of 18.

Are you really providing a source to prove the exact opposite of what you want changed?

Since you have reading comprehension issues, the article does not "prove the exact opposite".  The article lists the top speed of the players as measured in game in 2019.  I'll make it easy for you:

"However, Davies has spent the season playing at left-back, a position that doesn’t use his blistering pace to its full potential."

Amazing that someone concludes what I provided proves the exact opposite, but that's what happens when you don't take the time to read a link.

At any rate:

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/alphonso-davies-bayern-munich-alternative-to-david-alaba-kingsley-coman-lothar-matthaus-6260

Edited by Rexfelis

En 26/2/2020 a las 2:12, Rexfelis dijo:

You should post this in the Germany thread as Davies is based there.